Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Hyundai XG300 and XG350

Comments

• exsedona1exsedona1 Member Posts: 14
    The 3.5 ltr that is employeed in the XG350 is also the engine in my EX Sedona by KIA.
    This is one excellently refined engine. It's ability to sling my 4700lb van to 60mph is astonishing. My other car is a Pontiac Formula with the LS1 350 also an excellent engine. I just wish it was as high tech and well built as my 3.5 ltr. Kudos to Hyundai for this gem of an engine
  • bluesky3bluesky3 Member Posts: 9
    The whole instrument cluster light went out two days back. Couldn't see anything at night. Service told me it was the dimmer switch. Also, the radio went screwy on me. (radio station changes by itself, and the in-dash cd player ejects and take-in my cd over and over). Along with other minor glitches with the car (cup holder cover wouldn't open. The car only has 11k miles on it. I'm beginning to regret buying this car.

Sartie - cold air on feet: I also live in NJ, and experienced the a/c coming on while it's below 50 outside - eventhough I set the a/c auto temp to 75.
  • leirexleirex Member Posts: 50
    I wonder if yours is on when you first start in the morning. Then, it is normal as A/C in auto mode turns on for a while and goes off even in winter time. It is thoughtfully programmed that way to keep it in condition during winter time. I think it was even explained in one of the news fliers from Hyundai. If it continues to be on for a longer period time, something is definitely wrong, maybe thermo sensor or something. This is one of the many nice functions in the XG line that Hyundai neglected to explain in owner's manual. Hyundai might have thought that all XG owners are so smart to figure it all out themselves without them explained in the manual, or that those functions are too nice to explain in words. I actually felt great when I found out about those nice functions as I found something hidden.
  • sartiesartie Member Posts: 10
    Bluesky3--funny you should mention it, but just this morning the air temp was 39 F in New Jersey, with lots of condensation on the windows. On startup, my XG350's heater fan stayed at "one blade" for a few minutes (until the engine temp gauge started to move), then kicked into two, then three blades. (I, too, had the temp set for 75.) I guess my previous post citing "cold air on feet" was made on a day when it just wasn't cold enough for the system to be smart!

Also--with the system in Auto, the Defrost Mode (left-most button) came on automatically on startup and then went off by itself after the condensation on the front window cleared. I was so amazed I almost forgot to watch the road!
  • bikulanobikulano Member Posts: 11
    I just purchased my XG350 two weeks ago and I notice the steering wheel is off-center (a little to the right), it’s not much off but enough to bother me. The dealer adjusted it and it became a little off to the left. My steering wheel is either off to the right or left, one adjustment to either direction but can not get it correctly in the center. I drove another XG on the lot and it does not have this problem. I drove it with the service manager and he agreed that it needed to be fixed. Is anyone having this problem?
    The manual says you can switch the temp display between F and C by holding the AMB and the temp down buttons at the same time. I've tried without success. Has anyone tried this? I'm more of a Celcius person.

BTW: My car's still in the shop (three days now). They couldn't figure out what's wrong with the dash and radio lights.
  • specialdoc2002specialdoc2002 Member Posts: 54
    Doesn't seem to work on my car, either.

Instructions are a bit ambiguous. Says to push the temp button down. What is the "temp button"? There are two of them. Illustration points to both of them as being the "temp button." So are you supposed to push down BOTH of them for 3 sec while pushing the AMB button, or what?

In any event, no obvious combination of buttons and durations seems to have the desired effect. Best get used to Fahrenheit!

[On another subject: I will join in on the auto temp control debate as soon as the ambient in my garage gets colder. At 58 degrees ambient, which is the coldest it has been thus far this season, with set point at 73 degrees, it just starts up at one blade and stays there forever. Hard to say whether that is or isn't the way it is supposed to work].
  • bgkanne1bgkanne1 Member Posts: 18
    Just came from a Hyundai dealer event. The 2003 XG350 will be on the market for probably around six months. It will have a few changes such as a new instrument cluster, improved digital display readouts and even lit power window switches (something my 94 Ford has!).

However, the big news is the car will be redesigned for 2004. If you don't lease your XG350, you will want to wait for the 2004, because resale will suffer dramatically on the old body style car, assuming the new one is well styled. Unfortunately, Hyundai would not show me what the 2004 will look like. They said the large V8 Equus will not be coming to the US, but a larger SUV and possibly a minivan could be...
    I hear a high pitch sound from my new XG while driving, it goes on and off. Anyone notice this on you XG?
  • jimbeaumijimbeaumi Member Posts: 620
    Are you telling us the XG doesn't have lighted window switches when my little '01 Elantra does?

As for the 2004 XG, we have seen the mild restyling here and there in these threads. No major change from the current car.
  • mike91326mike91326 Member Posts: 251
    Did they tell you when the 2004 would be in the showrooms? My wife is going to get a new car next summer and as great as my 2001 Elantra GLS has been, the XG350L is high on our list.
  • bgkanne1bgkanne1 Member Posts: 18
    Apparently all XG350s before model year 2003 do not have lighted window switches; I will confirm that today. Leaving out lighted window switches until now is a real goof. Hyundai dealers should currently have a single page, two sided brochure describing the changes on the 2003 model. There is a photo of the 2003 dashboard on this sheet which can be easily compared to that of the 2002 XG350 to see what the changes are. I wouldn't be surprised that the 2003 dashboard will be used in the 2004 car. Hopefully the 2004 version will have more power; a 3.5 liter 24 valve DOHC V6 should have at least 220 hp and run on regular gas.
  • folsomjackfolsomjack Member Posts: 4
    Looking at a 2002 XG350L and after reading the last 100 or so posts I am having second thoughts!! I have always had Fords, worked for them and bought at plan "A" prices, and if this car has a lot of bells that won't ring I don't want one!! The one I drove yesterday was SWEET! The trans is like the tiptronic and a joy to drive. Years ago I got the same rush from English cars and motorcycles and regretted most of them sooner rather than later. Is this a real problem car or is this site pointing out scattered problems?? Like what percentage have a tranny problem?? Etc, Etc< ?? Regards, Jack
    I have a 2002 XG and my window switches are lighted. My car was made, according to the side sticker, May 2002.
    I shop around for more than 3 months. I had a budget around $22 and the XG350 is the best bang for my money. I read a comparison article from Car and Driver &#147;Concelled Carry&#148; (see link below) and the XG came in the middle but enough for my to consider and do my reserch.

http://www.caranddriver.com/xp/Caranddriver/comparisontests/2001/december/200112_comparo_concealed.xml

This were the ranking: 1. Honda Accord LX V-6, 2. Toyota Camry SE V-6, 3. Nissan Altima 3.5SE, 4. Hyundai XG350, 5. Dodge Intrepid SE, 6. Chevrolet Impala LS, 7. Ford Taurus SEL, and 8. Buick Regal LS. So I started my car shopping starting from #1, #2 … and so on. The Accord, Camry, and Altima were priced at ~$27K; I had to step down to a 4 cylinder to get it around $22K, which is weak, which should be the XG&#146;s competition. As you all know, the XG base is pack is stuff. One of my favorite feature is the shiftronic; I had a chance to really use it last weekend on a trip to Las Vegas were the road is mostly one way and hills from Phoenix. I like to be able to down shift from 70mile/hr and still get plenty of acceleration. As far as reliability, the XG have been around; this car is solve in Korea under the name of &#148;Grandeur&#148; and it&#146;s the most popular luxury line in the country. One more thing safety, it received an overall Good in the Insurance off set crash test.

• px260px260 Member Posts: 42
    Just because it's been around doesn't mean it is realiable. look at the original Excel, before it was introduced in the US 15 yrs ago, the car had been in Korea for many years as well, but the quality of that car just did not match up with the rest of the car industry. 15 yrs later, Hyundai's quality has improved but so is the rest of the competition. For $22k even a used Camry/Accord will give you more trouble-free miles for many years to come.
    Used Camry/Accord is very very boring in comparison with XG350, IMO. My wife loves her XG350L and she is comparing it with Olds Aurora V8, Honda Prelude AWS, Corvette, 2 Lexus LS400's, several Buicks and Pontiacs, Cadillac, GMC Yukon, etc. etc. that she has driven daily during various periods over the years.

Reliability of XG350L remains a concern, but at 10K miles so far so good. A friend of ours also bought one, a couple of weeks ago, so now we have a sample of 2 to track. Will post reports on this board as events occur or mileage milestones are reached.
    Yea, I'm a little concern about the XG's reliability.
    As for Used Camry/Accord, I don't like the way they look. I think for $22K, the XG is the best buy if your in the market for a mid size family car. But that's only true if it's realiablity will equal the Camry/Accord. I will take my chance for now since they offer a good warranty.
    The Hyundai Service here in Tempe, AZ seems to be customer oriented; I been prety happy with them.
  • john115john115 Member Posts: 45
    I've had mine for21 months and my only trip back
    to the dealer was for oil changes, and 2 recalls.
    What I like is that Delco isin't supplying the
    electrical system like my previous Camry.Which had
    many problems with the electrical system and
    a/c compressor.Why don't Toyota and Honda have
    better warrantees?
    Toyota uses Delco for electrical?? That would be a huge mistake. Yikes!
  • hyundaimahyundaima Member Posts: 197
    Check the MSN Autos reliability ratings to see how used Camrys and Accords age as they accumulate "trouble-free" miles.

http://autos.msn.com/vip/usedrelover.aspx?make=Toyota&model=Camry&src=Home

http://autos.msn.com/vip/usedrelover.aspx?make=Honda&model=Accord&src=Home
  • lleroilleroi Member Posts: 112
    If you have any reservations about a HYUNDAI I'd go for the Impala before the Accord or the Camry.I have a 2000 Impala -not the LS-84,000 miles not a problem.Orig tires replaced a 60,000 miles-still have orig brake shoes.More room then the others and smooth on the interstate.The LS with the 3.8 should be even better.BTW on the hy 30 mpg.
    The XG350 sure offers more std features tho and with the 100,000 mile warranty seems like a good bet.The only problems ive heard of with the car concern the transmission-which is covered by the warranty.The gas mileage seems a little less then my Chevy also.The Buick LeSabre also falls within your price range-a safe bet too.
    There are a couple of things I regret about purchasing my XG350; 1.) I should have purchased the X350L and 2.) I should have picked the White Pearl exterior with Beige interior. It&#146;s not practical here in Sunny Arizona to have Black Leather interior; even with the darkest legal tint, it&#146;s still burns my behind.
    When we were in the heat of the "buying process," we were offered four different XG350L's that the dealer had on his lot. One was white pearl, showcased under intense blue-white floodlights in the showroom's pole position, and the others were black, "gold" (khaki?), and some sort of blue, out on the lot.

When all the smoke of haggling had cleared, it became obvious that the white one was going to cost us $1000 more than any of the other three, even though it had 500 miles on it and the others had under 50 miles on their odometers. We still popped for the white pearl.

We think that exterior colors is one area where Hyundai needs to do some serious work. Black would have been a distant second choice for us, but we wouldn't have bought any of the other colors no matter what the price.
  • john115john115 Member Posts: 45
    In the 2001 XG,the only color interior availble
    with White pearal was black.The pure White came
    with the tan interior.
    I can deal $2000 under dealer invoice and choose from 8 in stock. About the same for the Diamante with less equipment standard and only a couple to choose from, but these are 2002's and have already taken the depriciation hit! They will not deal at all on the 03 Avalons and only a little on the 03 Maxima's I like the 350 L but it is still a lot of money for a Korean car. Regards, Jack
    I find myself saying that about American cars these days. :)
    While I was almost used to the infamous wind noise problem that dealer has never been able to fix after two tries, I noticed that something was leaking from the center area of front bottom last weekend. I took it in to be told that five or six gaskets were bad and to be replaced. It has a little over 27,000 miles on it. It has been in the shop for about two months in total due to various problems since I bought it 9/9/01. Paint problems, alternator noise problems, wind noise problems, etc. etc. Now leaking problems due to five or six bad gaskets. Of all of these problems, the wind noise and alternator noise problems have been still with me since the dealer tried to fix them two times. I gave up and have decided to get used to the noises. I am almost used to the noises but greeted by a brand-new leaking problem. Let's say I have gotten a lemon, but these many different problems? I guess Hyundai has thrown all those problems into mine. As bad luck would have it, I ended up buying it. I would have been doing better off with my 14-year-old Volvo that is still strong and running excellent at the same level of noise as this XG300L which is still in the ship waiting for the gaskets very patiently, if I did not shell out about $24,000 for the XG. Well....
    Six bad gaskets?? Did they indicate that this is a "known" problem, and that the design of the replacement gaskets is different from and a definite improvement over the ones being replaced?

I certainly can't blame you for being a bit perplexed right about now.
  • hyundaimahyundaima Member Posts: 197
    Push and hold the AMB and the blue temp. set buttons down simultaneously for more than 3 seconds. That'll let you toggle between F and C.
    Six bad gaskets?? Did they indicate that this is a "known" problem, and that the design of the replacement gaskets is different from and a definite improvement over the ones being replaced?

I certainly can't blame you for being a bit perplexed right about now.
    The dealer's extremely poor service was just another problem that I have. The dealer did not make any comments at all. I guess the dealer is as ignorant as I am about its possiblity of being a known issue. I suggest every one on this list should check if his or hers is leaking. It seems that this is known problem on the XG.
    The service rep that I have been talking to was trying to rip me off saying that A/C belt and alternator belt had cracks and that they needed to replace. He also said that they were not covered by warranty because they are maintenance wear and tear items. At around 27,000 miles, those two belts have cracks? If it is true, Hyundai has another quality issue for me. If not, the dealer was trying hard to collect free money from naive customers. This is kind of service that Hyundai has to have full control of, in my book. Anyway, I have been without car for about a week now.
    I wrote a letter to Vice President, Service at Hyundai Motor and wonder what sort of response I would get from him (more likely from someone else from Service related department).
    Now I am a complete convert from a strong Hyundai supporter to the very opposite of it. I think I have been very patient for 14 months with like 20 or more different problems, both major and minor on my XG300L. I am afraid that I have yet to learn how to be even more patient with upcoming problems whatever they might be until my XG300L breaks down completely. I bought mine on the off chance that Hyundai has finally gotten quality to live up with. I am sorry to conclude that Hyundai has proven to remain as a off chance on quality, at least to me who once was sold on the XG. Alas!
    Did you do it with the power on or off?

I tried both and didn't get it to work. With the power on, when you press both buttons simultaneously, the temp indicator will go down and the fan speed goes up. I held both buttons there for more than 10 seconds and nothing happened. With the power off, nothing happens. I even tried it with the engine on.

Thanks
  • px260px260 Member Posts: 42
    Thanks for the UAL address on used Camry/Accord. The details are very vague and it seems to contradict what Consumer Reports publishes. In any case, from my personal experience, I used to own a '87 Integra, driven 180k miles in 8 yrs, original clutch (lots of freeway driving), the only items replaced other than maintenance were radiator, brake master cylinder, and head light bulbs. The four cyliner 1.6L enginer was still running strong up until it was hit in an accident. I wonder if your XG350 can match that in 8 yrs.
    As some of you might recall, my XG300 is still in the shop patiently waiting for the gaskets for 8 days now. I had to call Hyundai consumer affairs department yesterday without much luck. What the customer service agent at Hyundai said mostly was "I don't know." She also mentioned that each dealer was independent and that Hyundai had no control over dealers. In my book, Hyundai must have certain level of control though as dealers represent Hyundai and as they are authorized by Hyundai. Anyway, that was what happened and I am still without car. As of yesterday, little bit leftover of HOPE for Hyundai has completely turned to total disappointment. I now feel very sorry for all those people who bought XG300 listening to my extolling XG300 to the skies. I am also sorry for Hyundai that Hyundai has not realized they had had customer service problem, let alone long-time quality problem. I just hope that all on this list do not have service and quality problems that I have gone through since I bought it on 9/9/02. To recap, it has a little over 27,000 miles on it and has been in the shop for about two months in total for a slew of problems like paint peeling off, alternator, air bag light continuous on, wind noise and the current oil leaking, just to name only a few. The paint peeling off, the noisy alternator, the wind noise problems are still with me after two tries for each. What next?
    Hyundai has no monopoly on feckless "Customer Service."

I bought a new 1999 Lexus LS400 and was well aware of all of the hype about their customer being king.

On several occasions, after exhausting the path of trying to work with the dealer to resolve a problem, I called their "Customer Service," and discovered that all they would do was put me on hold, call the dealer, then come back on the line and simply repeat to me what the dealer had already told me - in several instances, only a few minutes prior to my call to Lexus USA.

Needless to say, I found this extremely insulting and of no value whatsoever.

Thus far I have made one attempt to get Hyundai USA to intercede on my behalf with a dealer, and I got the "have no control over their dealers" runaround. When I pointed out that they DO have the power to renew or not renew the dealer's franchise, they said that yes, that is true, and if I would care to send them a letter it would be put in the file for consideration the next time the franchise came up for renewal (in a couple of years, I gathered).

Since that particular dealer moves more Hyundai product than just about any other dealer in the country, you can imagine just how eager they would be to yank the franchise.

This was a fraud allegation in the selling process; Hyundai suggested I contact the appropriate Better Business Bureau. Thanks loads.
  • saber86saber86 Member Posts: 128
    The customer service is nothing more than a call center. They will pretend to listen and act like they care but they don't. Customer service is about as useful as a you know what.
  • pieintheskypieinthesky Member Posts: 2
    I tried to warn my friends about buying a Hyundai 18 months ago. Now after hearing all of their problems and reading about the onew in here I am glad I didn't do what they did.

I was shopping for a car the same time they were and ended up buying a Japanese made Camry. I haven't had a problem with it. None. The more I drove the xg the more it told on itself. The interior smell, the cheap interior parts, the potential for great loss on resale.

I used to hear alot of people taking about how great the warranty is. But I don't hear that anymore. I'm glad I didn't make that mistake.
  • mikewesqmikewesq Member Posts: 32
    The next thing is to check your state's Lemon Law. File suit under that statute if you qualify. Sue Hyundai USA by having the suit papers served on their registered agent or other permitted service of process. Contact your State Bar to see if there is inexpensive legal help for consumers. Fight for your rights and make them take the car back!
  • rar3542rar3542 Member Posts: 5
    I posted about the lemon laws several months ago. If you have had all these problems over this length of time without checking into them, this situation may say more about you than it does about Hyundai.
    Regarding the lemon law, my understanding is that the same problem should occur three times within warranty period. I wonder if it still applies to certain number of different problems. Of course, I still have engine noise and wind noise problems after two tries for each problem. I was tired of taking the car in being afraid that it may take another week or longer. I reported the wind noise problem when I took it in for leaking problem. I was told that it was fixed and wait to see. My car is still in the shop for 9 days now.
    Yesterday the Hyundai customer service rep called me to inform that the dealer was still waiting for one gasket while the rest came in.
    Does anyone have any brilliant idea of what I need to do? Again I wonder how special those gaskets are. Probably Hyundai special. I will look into the lemon law once again if I am eligible. I reported to Better Business Bureau and California State Consumer Protection Committee, Auto Repair division. I wonder what they can do though.
    I don't know about other states, especially the ones dumb enough to vote rethuglian, but here it gets the job done and ALL your money back in as few as 6 weeks! Been there, done that--- TWICE, first an 89 Merc Marquis with 64,000 miles,all the money paid including tax and extended warranty less 1100$ for use miles, 2nd a 94 Crown vic --- ALL THE MONEY LESS $109 Regards, Jack
  • patpat Member Posts: 10,421
    Glad to hear things worked out well for you.

I do need to ask you to withhold that sort of political comment/slur -- this is not the place.

Thanks!
    Finally, I picked it up on last Friday. Dealer claimed that the wind noise and leaking were fixed. That remains to be seen.

For those who have had quite a few problems as I have, here is a web site of Better Business Bureau to file a complaint against car manufacturer. This is not local Bureau but national office which handles complaints against car manufacturer. I already filed one. Hope this helps us and Hyundai to improve quality and customer service too.

http://165.235.17.9/StdPage.asp?Body=/GenInfo/Publications/New_Vehicle_Warranty_Repairs-Jun_1998.htm&LB=NO

• azstanazstan Member Posts: 74
    Thanks everyone who has contributed here. I was very close to signing on the dotted line when a friend suggested that I read what has been written here.

I have decided not to purchase the Hyundai XG350 although it is no doubt the most car that can be had for the money. But...after purchase, who needs all that hassle? Seems like this is a Yugo made in Korea.
  • mike91326mike91326 Member Posts: 251
    Where is the 2003 XG350? All of Hyundai's other models are out for 2003, why not the XG350? I have heard that they plan to come out with an all new XG in the spring and it will be a 2004. There was no Tib for 2002 so maybe there will not be an XG for 2003.
    Looking at an add in Nov 11 2002 Fortune, page 116, I see no changes but will compare the picture tomorrow. I am no longer a hot buyer, too many horror stories here cooled me way down!!!
    Most of the horror stories here are from XG300. It&#146;s too early to tell if the same goes with the XG350. I only have mine for 4 months so I can&#146;t really say, everything are great so far. Also, the dealership I purchased from seems to be customer oriented, Hyundai of Tempe (AZ). I went to two Hyundai dealerships when I was shopping for my XG. If you are from Phoenix AZ, don&#146;t ever go to Earn Harts, I had a bad experience.
    I finally finished submitting all necessary info to BBB as I mentioned several postings ago. One day after I called and initiated filing a complaint with BBB, regional service manager from Hyundai gave me a call to discuss the problems that I had had and still have. First of all he offered to take mine to another dealership for thorough checkup (he was not clear if it is only for the problems that I still have or general checkup). Of course, a loaner was offered. I did last night. Surprisingly, the loaner was Elantra. Anyway, filing a complaint with BBB seems to draw attention from Hyundai.
    In passing, I remember some owners including myself in the past complained about weird cruise control. I noticed that the Elantra does not do the same strange thing on its cruise control. It seems to work as I expect. In summary, cruise control on XG works like,

1. when accelerating with accelerate switch, rpm goes way over 3000 from 2200 or 2300 all of a sudden. It stays at over 3000 about a minute or so, it goes back down to its normal rpm.
    2. when resuming cruise, the same rpm hiccup happens.
    3. when you release gas after you speed up over set speed, the same rpm hiccup happens when the speed reaches the set speed.

Any of these did not happen with the Elantra. Actually, cruise control on the Elantra works as any other cars that I have driven except the XG. Hyundai designed cruise control on XG this way, I don't know.
    Cruise problems 1 and 2 seem easy to figure out: the car is probably downshifting one gear as it accelerates. When the rpms drop back to "normal" it has gone back into the highest gear.