Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Hyundai XG300 and XG350

Comments

• leirexleirex Member Posts: 50
    I understand the car is probably downshifting one gear as it accelerates. But why does it downshift from the highest to one gear down when it is accelerating? It does not make any sense to me.
    When resuming, shouldn't it speed up gradually? Why does it have to jump from 2400 to 3500 or more all of a sudden acting like a sport car? Even the Elantra speeds up nice and gradually from 2300, 2400, 2500 etc.
    I got an interlocutory report on my XG from the service rep. It was reported that my GREAT XG still has the same oil leaking problem and the same wind noise problem and engine noise problem. The first two problems were supposed to have been fixed a couple of weeks ago after 9 days in the shop. These three problems were all verified by this dealer recommended by Hyundai regional service manager. Now some necessary parts to fix these problems have been ordered supposedly. Well, this simply makes me speechless.
    To recap, this is the fourth try for the wind noise problem, the third try for the engine noise problem and the second try for the oil leak problem. Folks, I really am speechless. Either the first dealer service department has been completely unable to fix these problems so far, or my GREAT XG has decided to leave me in the lurch with continuous problems. What should I ask Hyundai to do to resolve this? I have become paranoiac. I am not superstitious but start to think that this XG has been bringing bad luck to me.
  • jimbeaumijimbeaumi Member Posts: 620
    "Downshifting" IS the shifting of gears from whereever it is to the next gear down (5th gear down to 4th, etc.). This is how an automatic transmission operates when your engine accelerates. My last automatic did that on cruise. Otherwise it would take too long. My Elantra is a 5-speed, so I can't explain the automatic on that model.
    I am glad to report that complaint with BBB really works and that quickly. BBB rep called me for a hearing setup yesterday. Hyundai rep responded immediately and offered either replacement or repurchase.
    Now, I am to decide on one option. Should I go for replacement option to try a XG350 to reinstate my faith in Hyundai or should I just obliterate Hyundai name in my memory and opt for repurchase? Any advice? Someone was asking if the XG350 is better than the XG300 with some of known problems fixed several postings ago.
  • azstanazstan Member Posts: 74
    Take the money and run!
  • bsappbsapp Member Posts: 21
    Similar situation with me and a Chrysler Concorde in which I opted for Chrysler to repurchase the vehicle after which I purchased something else from another manufacturer. I agree, take the money and run........

By the way, I considered very strongly a XG350 when I purchased a new car last March. I didn't even get so far as a test drive. The salesman brought the keys to the XG I was interested in and when I started it up, it knocked and ran rough. The salesman told me to rev it up and the roughness would go away. I commented that should not be necessary with a fuel injected vehicle. Then with the car sitting still and idling away, I went to pull the inside hood release to take a look at the engine and the hood wouldn't open, like the release wasn't attached to any mechanism that allowed the hood to pop. Right then, I told the salesman I was no longer interested and wished him the best. I walked to my car, didn't look back, got in & left. I feel I made the right decision after reading all the problems mentioned here.

Bill
  • specialdoc2002specialdoc2002 Member Posts: 54
    I have a 2002 Chevrolet Avalanche and a 2002 Hyundai XG350L. I was so startled when I received the insurance bill for the Hyundai, I got a quote from another company. It was even higher.

Even though the purchase price of the Avalanche was 50% higher than that of the XG350L, the insurance for the Hyundai is much higher in the Comprehensive, Collision, and Property Damage categories, and a bit higher in the Bodily Injury and Medical Payments categories. The mind boggles. Either the insurance rate category for the Avalanche is unusually low, for some reason, or the rate category for the XG is unusually high.

Have other XG owners run into this phenomenon? If so, have you received a plausible explanation for it?

Thanks
  • bluesky3bluesky3 Member Posts: 9
    I experienced my first thrashing rackets coming from under the hood last night that a couple of you mentioned earlier. The car ran fine the night before. It was quite loud and went on for about 10 seconds. Hopefully, it's just the a/c compressor and nothing worse.

PLIBASSI and Specialdoc2002: Did you ever find out where the caused the noise?

The dealer that I deal with seems to be quite helpful in getting things replace. I even got the radio replaced without much complaining, but we'll see.
    I found the "air conditioning compressor" theory plausible and have not pursued the matter further.

My wife drives the car on a daily basis and it is rare that I get much exposure to it. But we will be taking a 750-mile trip with it over the Thanksgiving holiday, so I may have something to report when I get back.
  • john115john115 Member Posts: 45
    My XG300 was manufactured in Sept.00.I have never had any problems nor wind noise,engine noise,etc.
    On a recent trip I tryed the cruise control,and it worked flawlesly.Maybe Hyundai is just the
    oppisit of GM,Ford and the others made in America.
    Whose first cars off the line are dogs.Maybe the
    Koreans take great care in the first few cars made,and then slack off.Re:insurance,mine is lower than my Camry,and my state has very high rates.
  • shivelytshivelyt Member Posts: 46
    Just returned from local dealer for a test drive in new XG350. I also have an 01 SantaFe. Sticker price was $23,656. No moonroof or heated seats (not needed in LAS) Anyway, I was favorably impressed but not really ready to buy. Salesman wasn't pushy, but plunked down in front of me an offer to sell for $19,900. Apparently Hyundai has to cut prices deeply in their top line cars just like Buick has to do on Park Avenues. I think I can do even better than $19,900. Any opinions? Thanks
    Correction to 1261 message. Guess I can't type correctly. MSRP on the car was $26,656, not $23,656. While dealer offered to sell at $19,900, today I see his ad at $18,999. Prices just don't mean anything any more.
  • mike91326mike91326 Member Posts: 251
    Prices for an XG350 appear to be soft because Hyundai is planing to come out with a new XG for 2004. My dealer told me that the new XG will look more like a Sonata and will be out in late spring or early summer.
  • plibassiplibassi Member Posts: 5
    The thrashing noise coming from under my hood ('01 300L) is the air conditioning compressor after starting the car in warm weather. The noise goes away after about 15-20 seconds. My Hyundia dealer, who has given excellent service, told me there is nothing he can do to replace the compressor until it goes out - stops working. That's the only way Hyundia will cover the compressor under warranty....
    As a postscript to message #1259 - we just got back from the 750-mile holiday trip and I have the following to report:

On flat, smooth section of interstate highway, in which the road was curving to the left, I noticed that the car was "shuddering." I asked my wife (who was driving) if she noticed it. "Yes." Have you noticed that before? "Yes; it does it when you are turning to the left, not when you are going straight or turning to the right."

The same phenomenon was observed three or four more times during the trip. There is no audible noise accompanying the shuddering.

Has anyone else observed this quirk?

Thanks.
    Just came back from the Intl Auto Show in LAS. The XC350 seemed to be attracting more attention than any of the other Hyundai models displayed. It was, of course, a 2002, not a 2003. Their literature depicts the 2004 model, so we know there won't be a 2003. However, except for changes to the lower grill, the car looks just the same as the 2002. Maybe there won't be a 03 so they can clear out the excess 02 inventory.
  • jayliujayliu Member Posts: 17
    Guys, In the cold morning, when you start your car, if you set your Climate Control to "AUTO" will it automaticly set the blower direction to "LEG" and Fan Speed " 3 Bars"?
    Because mine is and it's blowing cold air at my feet. Is it a normal behavior?
  • sartiesartie Member Posts: 10
    Hi, jayliu!

I've commented on this before, and I'd like to know more about the decision tree for the Auto Climate control. I've got an '02 XG350L and here's what it does on startup on cold mornings:
    1. With temps cold, but above 39 degrees F, it blows cold air on my feet, with 3 fan blades showing.
    2. With temps below 39 degrees, 1 fan blade shows, and fan speed increases as the engine warms up. This seems like the way it should work.
    3. With temps around 32 degrees F, the Defrost light comes on with 1 fan blade showing. After a few minutes, the Defrost light goes out and the system works as in 2., above.

I'd like the fan to stay off until the engine develops enough heat to deliver warm air to the cabin, but in 1., above, this is not the case. Is it time for a nose-to-nose with my dealer?
    Further to post #1265 -

I went on a 40-mile jaunt this afternoon on twisty back roads, to try to get a better feel for the problem.

I don't think that "shudders" was the best word I could have used to describe the symptom.

During left-hand turns, at highway speeds, and especially while accelerating during the turns, the car produces a continual, repetitive, rapid series of what you might call "thumps," or "pounding" or "bumps" that you can hear, and feel through your butt, but are not transmitted noticeably through the steering wheel.

I'm wondering if front wheel bearing or CV joint could be the culprit? I don't have any experience with the mechanicals of front wheel drive cars.

BTW, I don't see any uneven wear on the tires.

Thanks!
  • hyundaimahyundaima Member Posts: 197
    Who's your dealer?
  • csandstecsandste Member Posts: 1,866
    I'm a very happy Elantra owner and am comparing the almost universal positive comments on those boards with the largely negative XG posts.

I don't think this is a matter of perception. People expecting more with an expensive car. I think the XG is probably the most trouble prone of any Hyundais. I'm not sure what the age of the XG platform is, undoubtedly it was sold in Korea for some time before bringing it over.

There are no "never buy a new car" warnings with Hyundai. The new platforms seem to be better than the old in the first run of the car. Thus the Elantra seems to be doing better than the Sonata because the platform changed in '01 rather than '99. Hyundai seems to be making these kind of qualitative leaps with each re-engineering.

That being the case, it's too bad this car was introduced when it was, given Hyundai's plans for a new up-scale division. IMHO they should have waited for a new car.
  • newxgnewxg Member Posts: 34
    There are a number of consistent issues that the XG300/350 seems to have (window seal noise, bad batteries, floormat clips, and a variety of transmission behavior complaints), but overall this needs to be kept in perspective. A good many of the issues discussed here have been dealer related. If this forum is an overall indicator, most major problems seem to be isolated to specific instances (only one mention of oil leak problems and only of course the really bad abs brake problem).

To call this car a yugo, as someone did about 20 posts ago, is totally off the mark. My guess is that overall reliability is on par with most American cars, maybe better. All manufacturers create occasional lemons, but I don't think this is the rule here. I paid $23,000 in November 2000 for the base XG300. This car at under $20,000 is an absolute steal. It does have a very high level of content and fit/finish that would cost a lot more in other cars. I have a dealer who has delivered a high level of customer service, and my insurance for my XG300 is no different than it was for my old Subaru Forester. The smooth shifting (most of the time) 5 speed automatic transmission is one of the main reasons that I selected this car.

I think that expectations may be part of the issue here. I compared this vehicle against similarily priced competitors like the Maxima, Avalon, and Sabre. To expect Lexus and Infinity experiences from a car under $20,000 is just unrealistic. Overall I've been pretty pleased.

2001 Base XG300 White
    32,000 miles
    Alpine XM Satellite Radio system
    I am sure that I must have gotten a lemon as I have experienced more than 10 different problems three of which occurred two, three and four times. The engine noise problem seems to be still with me after three tries, even louder now. One thing that I want to mention is that Hyundai seems to have dealer selection problem. The dealer that I have taken mine in for repairs seems to be unable to fix the problems. The engine noise started to bother me ever since the dealer replaced alternator due to computer scan result without further diagnosis. I would think that it was unnecessary replacement which caused one persistent problem.
    When it comes to expectation, I agree with newxg. When I bought mine, the XG was standing out of similarily priced competitors in terms of number of features and options. Not any more, I guess. For example, the Honda Accord EX V6 has just about the same options as the XG350 with more powerful engine short of memory seat and automatic chromatic rearview mirror. The Accord has dual climate control though. MSRP is only several hundred dollars apart. In my book, Hyundai should work hard to stay competitive with the Accord. The Toyota Camry XLE V6 at just about the same price is far behind in options though. This is why I opted for repurchase plan. To add, Hyundai at least in my area has been responsive and quick so far. The first problem showed up at 2252 miles on odometer. Current odometer reading is 29,100. Good luck to every XG owners.
  • newxgnewxg Member Posts: 34
    I have to agree with you that the new Accords have compelling features for the price. The Toyota cars always seem a little pricy when options are added on. Here in the southeast we also have to deal with a regional distributer who get's to charge what is effectively a "tax" (some times in the form of pricy junk add ons like fabric protector) on all Toyota's sold in the region.
  • carspy01carspy01 Member Posts: 137
    I posted it before (months ago) somewhere, and one of the previous posts is correct: we will not get an '03 XG. It is correct that the 2004-model will come out in spring 2003 in Northamerica. The front is a little different and the rear as well, but definitely NOT Sonata-like. Relatively minor changes. Only few inside.
    That's the reason why you get SUCH GREAT DEALS!
    Expect the 2004 to be shown in Detroit. In Korea, this new XG is on sales since this summer.
  • carspy01carspy01 Member Posts: 137
    I guess some posters only express that they expect from a low to mid $20K-vehicle something like of a $50K vehicle. And please believe me, most of the a/m "problems" are found in vehicles with the "Star" or "Bavarian logo" every week - owners just tend to take those vehicles to routine service at their dealerships, and things get fixed in "silent recalls"....
    Most of the XG-owners know that they have a great vehicle, which is still kind of the "best kept secret" in the industry. But, honestly, WE like it that way, don't we??????
  • bikulanobikulano Member Posts: 11
    I read about “engine oil leak” on a previous posting and I mention this to my Hyundai Dealer. They claim they don’t have this problem on the XG350. They also suggested not overfilling during oil change and 5QT on the XG350 is overfilling. The spec said 4.5 US QT but they only put 4QT and it measured Full on my XG350 with a K&N Oil Filter, don’t know if this has any relevance with causing an Oil leak, just though I mention it in this forum.
    I don’t see a lot of major negative posting for XG350, only for the XG300. It seems a lot of the problems on XG300 are fixed for XG350. My only regret on my XG350 purchase is I did not upgrade to XG350L. I had a buddy that just purchased a 03 Accord with a 4 cyl, which he paid 1k more compare to my XG350, and he wished he would have known about my awesome car.
  • jayliujayliu Member Posts: 17
    Hi Sartie, Thank you for the reply. My XG350 is doing exactly the same, well at least I know i am not alone... I guess I'll just need to wear boot then.
    Also I did notice, when I start my car in cold morning, if i turn on the AC, I do get lots noise coming out from the air conditioning compressor. (that's my guess , because when I turn the AC off, the noise goes away) once the car warms up , the noise would die down ...
  • sartiesartie Member Posts: 10
    Hi, Jayliu--I'm still a bit concerned about the fan automatically coming on at high speed when it's only 40 degrees F outside. My wife's '03 Subaru Forester XS with Climate Control doesn't do this. It waits until there's heat before it blows at you.

Re the A/C Compressor noise, there was a recent post about this. Apparently, one dealer said that Hyundai wants the compressor to break before they replace it under warranty. I used to get a clunking noise from the compressor on startup in the summer. But it only clunked once per day, on the initial startup in the morning. Now, with 7000 miles, either it doesn't clunk or I don't hear it.

With the snow in the Northeast U.S., I've had a good time playing with the Traction Control System (TCS). In the default "On" position, the TCS light flashes when over-accelerating on snow or ice, but the car tends to go straight ahead. With the TCS switched off, the car slides sideways, following the crown of the road down into the right hand gully. How did we ever live without this stuff?
    What's the preset temperature?
  • phdepphdep Member Posts: 9
    HAVE 01 XG 300L WITH 25000 MILES, WHEN ENGINE IS COLD IN THE AM AND OUTSIDE TEMP IS BELOW 30 DEGREES F, UNLESS I RUN ENGINE FOR ABOUT 3-5 MINUTES IT TAKE TRANS ABOUT 2-3 SECONDS TO SHIFT INTO DRIVE OR REVERSE. THIS ONLY HAPPENS FIRST TIME YOU START ENGINE IN THE AM. oTHER THAN THAT IT SHIFTS PERFECTLY FINE. aNYONE ELSE HAVING SAME PROBLEM???? WOULD APPRECIATE HEARING FROM YOU. MY E MAIL IS PDICKER@AOL.COM
  • reonamereoname Member Posts: 3
    My wife and I drove this car last Sat. and loved it.
    Anyone get this car for under 20K???
    The dealer was offering 19,500 for a car with one hundred miles.
    Anyone else see this or better???
    At $19,500 the car is a phenomenal bargain.
    That's an awesome deal, I paid $20.5K for my XG350 Base.
    I was offered $19,900 two weeks ago at Planet Hyundai. Keep in mind that this is a 2002, and the fate of 03/04 is still unknown. Otherwise, you are right. This is a lot of car for that kind of money. Offer $19,000 and see if they bite.
    Ref: Messages #1319, 1323

It took one false start, but in the end the dealer did a great job of diagnosing and fixing this problem which I would guess is very unusual if not unprecedented.

It turns out that the problem was a missing part in the right front axle assembly. According to the repair order, the stub shaft is a two-piece design, and there is supposed to be a clip that holds the two pieces together, but it was missing.

I would be interested in receiving comment from a mechanic who is actually familiar with this design.
    Parts used in the repair:

49557-39291 Clip - fr axle diff
    43119-39010 Seal - oil
    51720-38000 Bearing - fr wheel

[Note: Initial diagnosis was wheel bearing; they changed it out and it made no difference].

Are you familiar with the "clip"?

Thanks
    The two shafts are held together by a CV joint, not by the clip.

The "stub" shaft is the inner shaft.
    http://partscatalog.hyundaidealer.com/images/PartsGif/3x/XG0430049502.gif

(The drawing is labeled wrong; It shows RH, righthand side assembly)

http://www.hmaservice.com/xml/graphics/EI/EIB9011A.jpg

https://208.8.111.53/customer/index.jsp

• john115john115 Member Posts: 45
    No post after 12/13/02?Whats going on?
  • patpat Member Posts: 10,421
    wrote me about this topic very recently ... please forgive me for not responding. My hard drive crashed and I've lost LOTS of stuff including your inquiry. :-(
  • bob2u2bob2u2 Member Posts: 1
    I bought my 2002 350L off the show room floor, within one week had it back for the surging and trans. problem that have been posted here. They told me it was the ECM unit and have done all they can do for it. Then the a/c compressor started the shuddering on the first call, and first start of the day. Well, so far they had replaced the belts 3 times , the pulley twice and now the compressor. Still is doing it, not as bad though. The service advisor originally thought I was imagining it, until I left the car there for two days, they were supposed to be working on it, I went back for it and he had to get the car out for me as it was parked behind other cars. He started it and turned on the a/c to cool the car off and he thought someone had hit the car. It shuddered and grinded that much. Now I'm getting another one (2003 XG-350L) as the Lemon Law says so, this time they only have three chances to correct any problems that may occur. They have told me that after one year they have all the bugs out. Truthfully I do hope so as I really like the car, the safety features and creature features are unmatched for the price. I am however somewhat of a perfectionist and if Hyundai wishes to keep up with the growing trend and keep their head above water again, then having things that work correctly makes all the difference when it comes time for a new vehicle or referring a friend. I'm supposed to be getting the new one later on this week, keep you updated.
  • john00john00 Member Posts: 27
    Bob2u2, what's the status of your XG replacement. Plus if you got you replacement have you noticed what the changes are over the 2002. I still have my 2001 XG300, still no problems. Have about 14k on it right now. Will be giving it to my son this spring once he passes his drivers test, that's probably when any problems will surface since the car sits in the driveway or at the airport parking lot the majority of the time.
  • esubiusesubius Member Posts: 2
    I have read the posts on this forum and keep waiting for my 2002 XG350GL to develop one or more of the problems that some of the participants in this forum have experienced. So far, no problems to report. I have driven the car some 10,000 miles over the last 5 months and can't find anything to complain about. Also, the car drives extremely well in the snow which is a pleasant improvement over my former vehicle, a 1998 Mercury Grand Marquis.
    Just check the front tires yesterday and are in need of replacement after only 15k miles. Checked into replacing with the same Michlins but they want $153 plus mounting balancing valve stems and disposal fees and tax for a total of about $180 per tire. Not this guy, and only get another 15k. I've decided to go with a set of Bridgestone Potenza RE950 for about $130 each complete with tax. Has anyone researched an alternate replacement. The Bridgestone RE950 gets some real good marks on the TIRERACK website. There prices are real good too at $73 per tire, but then you have to ship them, then take them to get mounted at $20 bucks plus balance stems and disposal fees and tax. I figured it out and I would only be saving about $100 total after all is said and done. The advantage getting them from the tire dealer is free rotation, free flat fixes and if there is any warranty problem it can be handled there.
  • freedomsailorfreedomsailor Member Posts: 1
    I have had my XG350L for just over three months and have put on 13,400 miles with absolutely no problems of any kind. The car has been in only for lube, oil, filter and tire rotation and balance at approximately 5,000 and 10,000 miles. My driving is about 75% highway and 25% city. Getting 22 MPG in city and 32 MPG on highway. I live in and my sales territory is Florida, so no mountains and very, very few hills.

So far, just love the car. Only gripes: No retained power after turning engine off and removing key. Accessory plug in armrest bin is not active when car is off so can't recharge cell phone overnight. Emergency brake is foot operated instead of hand operated.

Otherwise, a great car, especially when compared to my previous "Detroit Irons".
    I would check for warranty. It does not make sense that you have to change tires only at 15k. Warranty normally goes for 30k, I believe. It should be covered by Michelin warranty.
    leirex, you know I never thought about that, but I already went and got the Bridgestone RE950's yesterday because I was starting to slide too much. It's a good point to keep in mind. I always had faily good luck with Michelins not sure why. They wore very evenly and pressure was alway right on spec, too soft I guess.
  • hienphamhienpham Member Posts: 4
    Acura 3.2 CL with 1000 miles on it.

USD$23.5K

Would you go with this Acura, or would you buy a brand new XG350 ?

Thanks