Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Hyundai XG300 and XG350

Comments

• lngtonge18lngtonge18 Member Posts: 2,228
    I must say, you are expecting way too much from Hyundai and this dealer. Cars are complicated and there can be many different solutions to fixing problems. Expecting the dealer to know how to fix the problem based on your description when its not occuring is like trying to tell a person to find the invisible ghost. If they see nothing is wrong, then where do they start? Would you want them to just start ripping out your dash and potentially cause other issues while searching for something that is working fine? If I were you, I would wait for the problem to occur again and drive straight to the dealer while its acting up. That way they can document the problem and narrow down possible causes.

As for loaners, I'll be blunt. Hyundai is an economy car company. It's amazing they even offer loaners. However, by warranty standards, a dealer only has to offer a loaner if a repair will cause the car to be left overnight. Otherwise, its up to the dealer to offer it. Yes, a good dealer will try to please you but lets face it, people don't pay big bucks for Hyundai cars so they can't expect top notch service or expensive perks. If they have 4 loaners and they are all out, do you really expect them to bend over backwards to give you something else? No, you will get a ride to work like the rest of us. If you expect more, then Hyundai was not the right car for you. You need to look at more expensive luxury branded cars, like Lexus.

That being said, I'm sorry you have encountered this electrical gremlin so early on. I know it can be frustrating. Maybe you will be lucky and the problem doesn't occur again. My 03 Tiburon GT encountered a sudden power window failure a few times. I discovered this has been a common problem on my car and fixed by replacing the power window regulator, but so far (knock on wood), the problem hasn't resurfaced. This has been the only gremlin that has affected my car in 1.5 years and 13k. No dealer visits yet and its been a great car. Hopefully your car will turn out the same. Good luck and let us know if it happens again and what fixes it.
  • nornenorne Member Posts: 136
    I have a 02 Honda cr-v and I get a loaner vehicle based on how long it will take to fix the problem but thats only because I purchased a extended warranty. Had I not purchased the extended warranty, all I would get is ride back to work or home.

I had a ford, toyota, gm, and mazda vehicles before and they are all the same. No loaner vehicles for warranty work. It really is up to the dealership whether a customer gets a loaner or not.

blackrussian--since it has only been 3 weeks since you purchased your car, I would contact Hyundai USA and complain and complain. Speak to the customer service manager if you have to. I have heard that manufacturers are more likely to help a customer within the first 90 days of ownership.
  • gsenftgsenft Member Posts: 9
    Phil, sorry to hear about your lights and cd radio problems. I had to take my car in as it was wandering(pulling) right on the road--allignment ok they just switched the 2 front tires and forced balance them. Car steers normal now. While I was there I asked about the Hyundai extended warranties.They do not sell Hyundai(the manufacturer) extended warranties. They sell a 3rd party warranty for approximately $1200--the best plan, as it covers everything except normal wear/tear/maintenance items.There are different category plans with a lot of exceptions of what is covered and not at lower prices. I was also told there is no negotiating prices for extended Warranties as the prices are set by Florida State law?????????? This is hard to believe but I can buy out of state and they will honor it. I was wondering if you got the Hyundai manufacturer extended warranty if there is one? or a 3rd party warranty for the $800? I would prefer a Manufacturing extended warranty, If I should purchase, but maybe there is no such thing???? Let me know if you or any other car owner knows or can find out what is it the dealers are selling?? George
  • patpat Member Posts: 10,421
    There is a lot of information on extended warranties over on our Smart Shopper board - check it out, I think you will find it helpful.

:)
  • blackrussianblackrussian Member Posts: 29
    Hi, thanks for all of your responses, I`m a little busy right now, we got the tail end of Ivan and my basement got flooded, I have many problems pretaining to this, I will get back with you guys asap. Take care, Phil
    Hi Jonathan, it has been 8 days since my basement was flooded and I am now begining to see some light at the end of the tunnel, to begin with, by telling the service manager what the car was doing I would expect him to look in a specific place to begin with, (or even contact Hyundai in Korea and see if they could help seeing as they are the ones that put the car together) much like when you go to see a doctor and he asks where does it hurt or where was it hurting, he is not going to look at your foot when it was a headache you had, personally, from a laymens view, it was raining very hard when it occurred so I would think it shorted out somewhere the wiring is exposed and shouldn`t be, I cancelled the appointment I had with the dealer to check it out, under the circumstances with my flooded basement and have driven the car twice since then when it was dry and everything has worked fine. At a sticker price of $26,600, I do not consider this an economy car, I think a car that you paid 11 to 15 thousand for would be considered an economy car and you should not receive any special perks, I believe Hyundai does make some in this price range, the 350L is their top of the line and if they someday wish to compete with the likes of Lexus they better start thinking about how they treat their customers. The sticker price between the two now is only about $9000.00. Take care, Phil
    Hi George, I just recently received my warranty in the mail and it is a Hyundai manufacturer extended warranty for $800.00, I looked over it fairly well and I would like for them to list what they do cover, rather than what they do not, or better yet both, I did notice it has a clause in it that states you can cancel the warranty within 60 days of purchasing the warranty, if you do it in writing to the dealer, I think I am going to keep it, thinking of what repairs cost now versus what they will cost from 2009 to 2014 when my regular warranty kicks out. If I have problems with just the power equipment it has, that could cost me a bundle. Take care, Phil
    My only point was that the XG350 may sticker at that price, but no one pays that much for the car. Let's be honest here. To get the same calibur car from anywhere else, you are going to pay 5-10k more, depending on the nameplate. Hyundai is known as an economy car maker, not a luxury car division. Something is going to suffer for the low price, and special perks is the big one. I've bought 5 new cars in the past 5 years and whenever I ran into a problem, they all told me to bring it in and show them the problem before they would work on it. If I couldn't get the car to act up, the dealer wouldn't do anything and simply say its working like it should. So I was just trying to let you know that what you encountered is typical of economy car nameplates and that Hyundai in general wasn't trying to be nasty to you. Unless the problem is a well known problem that has a tsb fix, the dealer won't have a clue what's causing your electrical issue without seeing the problem in action. Anyway, glad the problem hasn't resurfaced for now.
    Hi Jonathan, to begin with I have read a great deal of the responses on this site, many from day one up to current and I have seen you many times making comments to individuals who have purchased a 350L/350 that were having problems with it or just making comments about their experiences and I cannot remember one where you were not trying to be helpful, I`m a little confused, from reading your profile you don`t now or never did, as I recall, own a 350 or 350L, I`m not quite sure why you are on here. Hyundai wants to get into the luxury car division and steal as much business as they can from the likes of the Lexus ES330 model, Lexus`s other models are currently out of sight for Hyundai, you have read the responses as I have and have noticed how many people that were drivng Lincolns, Cadillacs, and etc., have since bought a 350 or 350L and were quite happy, these cars along with Lexus ES330 are cosidered the luxury car line and this has to be making Hyundai very happy. Believe it or not some people in this country are paying sticker price for their 350`s, I was one of those jerks back in my 30`s, when I didn`t know any better, well guess what, there are still a lot of people in their 30`s nowdays that don`t know any better. YOu can go sticker to sticker or actual cost to actual cost and the difference isn`t that much when you take away the $2500 rebate that Hyundai offers from time to time. The point I was trying to make in my earlier post is that if you tell the service manager what problems you were experiencing this may guide him to a specific area, this has worked for me in the past. Take care, Phil PS--For the record, I am 62 and have been retired for 7 years.
    Phil, Thanks for the information---I guess you saw my note about my dealer telling me they did not sell the manufacturer warranty, and all prices are set by the state of Florida. I have not been able to find anyone in the state government who knows anything about this law. I called the Hyundai corp and complained ---so they contacted the mgr at my dealer and the financial mgr said they offer the manufacturing extended warranty---I called the person Hyundai corp talk to and he said they also offer a 3rd party and the manufactures. He said they file their rates with the state of Fl and have to abide by these rates. So, I asked him to give me the price of the manufacturer (hyundai) extended warranty if they now sell it and he could not as they do not sell many of them and he would have to go to Hyundai Hq to get me a price. What a joke!!! But I was told by Hyundai that I could purchase the Hyundai extended warranty at any dealer in the United states. So my question to you is, can you give me the name of your dealer and person you dealt with to purchase your policy. I am not sure they will deal with me but it is worth a try. Maybe you can get a referral bonus for this???????? Sorry to hear about the flooding ---This storm we only lost electricity for 1 hr versus 5 days last time---But a lot of flooding in some areas and many big old oaks down all over as this is a well wooded county(Citrus).Well let me know---George
    I'm here because I'm a car fanatic and like to read experiences of all sorts of cars, not only the ones I own. With all the reading I do, I absorb quite a lot of info and can often be helpful to an owner of a car I've never even driven. For the record though, my close friend/roommate did own a black 04 XG350 until recently and I considered buying one before I got an 03 Diamante instead. I have driven my roommate's XG350 many times and so I do have some insight into this car.

By the way, he traded it in after about 6 months and 8k. He simply wanted an SUV and bought the XG on a whim. He amazingly got a good tradein deal, so maybe Hyundai is finally showing signs of improvement here. It never saw the dealer and didn't have any problems. However, the accelerator was much too aggressive and I believe the front suspension needed an alignment because the steering wheel was cocked some and the car liked to wander to the right (most likely caused by hitting a curb in a drunken stupor...I know, he's a moron).
  • patpat Member Posts: 10,421
    I'm sorry, but there were some messages here that I had to remove.

If you check your Membership Agreement (or the Rules of the Road which are easier to read - linked at the top of the page), you'll see that you can't post names or phone numbers of salesfolks.

Thanks for your understanding.
    Phil, The forum monitor here (PAT) erased all my notes to you as we used salesman names etc. Formal names are not allowed---I did get hold of the right person at your dealership and purchased the 10-10 mfr extended warranty for $800. It appears the warranty is also transferable if you should sell car down the road.I agree it is a good insurance policy for down the road---just have to be around for 10 more years! Well thanks for all the input---George
  • bluesky3bluesky3 Member Posts: 9
    Anyone saw this article in USA Today about Hyundai?

The results of a survey conducted by Strategic Vision may surprise some, but probably not many of those in this forum.

Hyundai came in second after Lexus for top brands based on 74,000 car owners' feelings about price, affordability, expected reliability and expected resale value.

http://www.usatoday.com/money/autos/2004-10-03-car-value_x.htm
  • griset1griset1 Member Posts: 1
    I have owned a 2004 XG350 for one year and it has been very satisfactory overall - definitely a good value at the $21,500 purchase price. The two disappointing features are: (1) gas mileage has been poor. Last tank got 15 mpg in metro driving (mostly surface streets.) On freeway trips, it gets around 24-25 mpg. I had expected a little more. My prior Camry got 20 mpg around town. (2) the dashboard lights (clock, radio) are too dim to read easily in daytime, particularly when wearing sunglasses, I never had that problem with prior cars. Anyone experience these annoyances?
    Hi griset1, I have owned my 350L for almost 2 months now and while I haven`t checked the exact gas mileage on the car I have noticed it uses more than I expected and as for the dash lights I have a little trouble reading them in bright sunlight also, but I also have trouble reading the dash lights in my wifes Lexus ES300 in the bright sunlight and it cost a whole lot more, I think this is something we are just going to have to live with. The price you paid for yours is really good, I paid $21,800 which I thought was good also. Take care, Phil
  • vairtomvairtom Member Posts: 1
    Its been three weeks today since I took the plunge and traded the loyal '02 Sontata GLS V-6 for a Celadon Green XG350L. What a great car. I've been lucky to have owned a number of nicer cars and the XG is right up there with the Acura 3.0CL I had several years ago. Yes, until you grow used to it, the off-the line throttle action is a little unusual, but I think its more an issue of a very-low 1st gear. The climate control is hard to read with sunglasses on, but hey, its all easy to use and works flawlessly.

I have a 80-odd mile roundtrip commute and this car is even better than the Sonata was. The level of quiet and comfort on our terrible SoCal roads, I-15, I-215 and California 91, is fabulous and the ride and power is outstanding.

All who have looked at it are amazed at level of comfort and appointments and are amazed when they discover the low price.

The comments on this board did nothing but assure me that the XG is as good a product as the Sonata. Thanks to you all.
  • mfullmermfullmer Member Posts: 773
    Hello all,

Well today I finished the sale of my '05 Toyota Solara SLE Convertible and purchased a used 2004 XG350L. I know people will be wondering this but I replaced the two month old ( :-( ) Solara because I'm going through a relationship breakup and wanted a more practical everyday car that costs nearly $150 month less.

So anyway, it's a silver L with Black interior and thoroughly enjoy this vehicle. It has 17,500 miles on it. I do have a couple of questions for people as they had to order me an owners manual (and floormats).

One of the remotes they gave me doesn't work. I am going to call them about it but does anyone know if it is something I can "program" myself or if I have to get it done by the dealer?

The only keys they had were standard blanks and I'm not even sure if it is the master key (they don't work on the glovebox. haven't tried the trunk yet.). Does anyone know how I go about getting a new master key if I don't have the little metal tag/number for the keys? Also, does anyone know if the master key is a transponder type? I've seen some things on the internet but can't find much information and I know the dealer is going to charge me dearly for a nice black master key.

That's it for now. After having many GM cars and now Lexus and Toyota for a while, I really like the value that XG has and luxury to boot!
    I don't have my owners manual yet so I'll see if anyone out there can help me.

I've had my '04 XG350L since Tuesday and I have some questions about the way things work.

Auto-Headlights: I've had many cars with automatic headlights and they always have a delay to keep from coming on under overpasses, short tunnels, etc. In my XG there is absolutely no delay before the headlights turn on. On the freeway they constantly go on and off under every overpass. Has anyone else noticed this or is it just a malfunction of my system?

Stereo: I'm not sure if my speakers in the back are not working correctly or if it's just the stereo. I have to turn the speakers nearly all the way to the rear to hear anything out of them.

I've seen people post that the drivers seat doesn't move back unless you have the parking brake engaged. Mine is totally different. I have an "Auto" button by the memory buttons. If this button is pushed (green light on), the seat moves back when I turn off the engine, regardless of whether or not the parking brake is engaged. When the switch is off, it does not move back

And this is jut an observation. I have the black leather and I am very disappointed with the quality of it. It feels like plain old vinyl to me.
    The master key does not have a transponder. It's a regular key. It sounds like you ended up with copies of the valet key. You can go down to the dealer and have a master key made without the key code but be prepared to show ownership of the car via registration or title. A new key will probably cost $30 or so.

As for the auto lights, they are very quick to turn on so I think yours are operating normally. When I pulled my friend's car into the garage, the lights would turn on instantly as soon as the shade hit the dash.

I think the stereo has a weak amp. For an Infinity system, it just doesn't sound like it has a lot of power. That being said, a lot of sedans use the rear speakers more for bass and the front speakers for the actual sound. I've been in many sedans where the rear speakers aren't even audible unless you sit in the rear seat or transfer all power to the rear. I'd say its just how your stereo was designed to operate.
    Thanks for the reply. I did find out that I do have a copied Master key and the original Valet key. I was using the valet key because I could tell that it was a Hyundai original. Once I started using the other one, I can open the trunk, lock/unlock the glovebox, etc. I did go to a dealer near my office (not the one I bought the car from) and he told me he could get an original black-head Master key for $13.00 but he doesn't know when they come in, they just do (from a locksmith).
  • davidc1davidc1 Member Posts: 168
    Re: Auto-Headlights, I find it interesting that you prefer the delay. I actually prefer instant on-off, as long as it goes off as quickly as it came on. I've had a Jeep that took a while before turning on, and I didn't like that when I was driving into a tunnel, in a public garage with other cars possibly approaching around the corner, etc..
  • postermikepostermike Member Posts: 28
    Yeah, I'm used to the delay. What I find annoying is that I go under about 18 overpasses on the way to work, some very close to each other and thing turns on and off constantly. I guess I don't know why it WOULDN'T delay since just about every other system does it that way.
    The problems I was having with my 2004 350L seem to be taken care of, according to the service manager at Hyundai, apparently when the car was being assembled someone or a robot arm never tightened the screws on the door striker and when the door appeared to be fully closed it really wasn`t and it was not continually making contact with the button that activates the interior lights and the door ajar icon on the dash and the chimes that I thought was a reminder to attach my seat belt was actually telling me the door was not completely closed but I did not know this, also on the trip into the dealers my power windows stopped working, I was also told from the door not being properly closed that there was a worn spot on the power window line from it vibrating, and it made contact with a metal part and blew a fuse, they put in a new wiring harness for this, now the only problem I have is when my wife uses the car and leaves the car in her seat position it returns to her position as soon as I unlock the door with the remote, all by itself, the only way I have temporarily fixed this is changed my seat position to hers and elimated hers for the time being, this has happened to me 3 times so far. Anyone else experiencing this problem?
  • johno111johno111 Member Posts: 114
    Something interesting happened over the weekend. Got a check engine light early in the day, no big deal had one before. But later in the evening I had to make a quick stop to let some deer cross the road. When I went to continue on my merry way and went to press the gas pedal nothing happened. Engine did not rev, tried it in all gears forward and reverse and even in park still nothing. I was as if the gas pedal was not connected. Turned the car off and restarted, still acted the same. So I just parked it and called for a tow for the next morning. When the Tow truck came the next morning I tried the gas pedal and everything worked just fine. Still had it towed to the dealer cause you never know that you might get stuck on the way. Anyone else experience this ? I'll repost once the dealer gets to looking at it. Mondays are always busy and don't expect it to be fixed until tuesday.
  • sartiesartie Member Posts: 10
    Is this a trend? My experience was similar, but a little different. Just last week, my '02 XG350L was running just fine at about 60 mph on the highway, when I floored it to quickly pass another car. As I merged back into the right lane, I noticed the Check Engine light illuminate, and at the same time I lost almost all gas pedal response. I eased the car into the curb lane and stopped. In this condition, the engine would rev a bit with the pedal partially depressed, enough to go maybe 20 mph, but no more. Thinking, OK, what would I do if my computer acted up, I shut off the ignition, counted to 10 and restarted the car. Full functionality returned, but the Check Engine light stayed on. I checked the gas cap to confirm it was on tight--it was. I completed my trip without incident and brought the car to the dealer the next day.

Dealer replaced (1) the Throttle Position Sensor, and (2) I think it's called the Throttle Servo Drive.

I love this car, but who needs this wierd stuff?
    Just picked up the car from the dealer. Check engine light was due to P0175, P1147, P1151, P1191, P1193 whatever that means, I asked but didn't get much of an answer he said that the computer had to be reprogrammed. The gas pedal failure solution was to replace the Accel Sensor part no. 35357-3B011. So far so good. My XG300 is still under the 5 yr 60k warranty plus I took the one year 12k extention when they under estimated the HP the other year. So I still have a little over 2 more years to go on the bumper to bumper warranty. Won't think about trading until that warranty runs out, currently have about 27K on it. Probably won't get the bug again until the model changes and only if they keep the 5yr 60K warranty.
  • casdcasd Member Posts: 4
    THis could be a problem when the Government tightens up the acceptable amounts in the future..

As I person who is looking at buying a car in the next week.. I've notice how much higher Hyundai's eminssions are

I'm looking at:

Chevrolet Impala LS

Buick Lacrosse CXL

Toyota Camary XLE V6

Honda Accorda EX V6
  • casdcasd Member Posts: 4
    Update..

On Cars we are looking at..

Of course the Sonata LX and XG350L because of the Holiday weekend we haven't driven them yet

But we've drove the Toyota Camary XLE V6

Didn't care for it..felt like a small car..road noise, Bland looking.. Off the List.. Why would I pay $26,000 plus for this ??

Chevy Impala LS loaded,Leather etcc., Nice, fast, but not refined, small back seat and not much thigh support.. Stays on the list though can buy for $24,000

Will drive the Hyundai's and Buick LaCrosse and Lesabre this week

Decided not to get too excited about driving the Honda due to it's similar size to the Camary..

I'm still concerned with the eminssions rating of the Hyundai's
  • nornenorne Member Posts: 136
    you may want to hold off on the hyundai just yet. All new sonata will be released for the US market within the next 6 months.
  • richard123richard123 Member Posts: 1
    I have a 2001 XG300 and I need to replace (much of) the engine. I remember reading it's a Mitsubishi engine, so I'm wondering if I can use Mitsubishi parts.

Can anyone confirm or deny this? Do you know which engine it is?

The size is 2972cc (3.0l)
  • hollstmthollstmt Member Posts: 1
    I just bought a new 2004 XG350L and thought I would share my experiences since I find these forums tremendously helpful when it comes to making decisions on buying what is for most of us a very big ticket purchase.

First of all, I became interested in Hyundais because of their value (and warranty). We bought a 2003 Sonata LX for my wife primarily because it had everything standard for a price much less than the competition (Nissan, Toyota, and Honda). It also it had good reviews from consumer mags and an award for quality in the mid-size category (it’s really a large compact). 2 years and 30K miles later, the Sonata hasn't had any problems and still runs like new. This particular vehicle is very well built, and for me answers any questions about Hyundai quality.

While I liked the Sonata, I found it a little cramped for me personally. I thought about waiting until the summer ‘05 for the new Sonatas to come out but figured they wouldn’t be dealing much on them initially, and I’m always leery of potential new model defects (the new Sonatas will be built in the US I believe). While scanning the Hyundai web site I noticed on the ’04 XG350 they were offering $2,500 rebates plus $1,500 owner loyalty bonus plus $500 military discount. Well, $4,500 is a big incentive. So off to the dealers I went. I’m fortunate since I live in an area with 4 Hyundai dealers within easy driving distance so I was able to find the color, and equipment I liked and had the option to “walk” if I didn’t get the deal I wanted. Bottom line is I paid $20,000 plus TTL including the rebates and “dealer processing fee”. That’s almost $7,000 off the $26,700 sticker of a fully equipped XG350L and is right in the ballpark of Edmund’s TMV pricing before the rebates are factored in.

Did I get a good deal? I think so. The rebates tipped the balance, but it is a 2004 and all manufacturers/dealers give incentives to push out last year’s models. Did the dealer and Hyundai make money? Sure, it’s a game but they’re better at than us and whatever deal we get it is ALWAYS going to favor the dealer.

Impressions of the XG350L: First off, I knew I wasn’t buying a Lexus, Acura, or other luxury name plate. That said I’m very impressed with the quality of materials, fit and finish of this car. In my opinion the interior styling is right up there with those luxury cars. To confirm the common complaint, I also find the accelerator very sensitive coming off the line. That’s a minor issue since with a little practice I found I can ease the throttle somewhat to smooth out the acceleration. The transmission is a little quirky too, seems like it shifts around a lot more than I would expect. The shifts are smooth and not really that noticeable but it probably accounts for some of the disappointing gas mileage observed in city driving. However, the engine is plenty powerful, the ride smooth, and the brakes are wonderful compared to other cars I’ve had. I’ve never had a car that would stop as smoothly, quietly and true as this car. I could go on, but so far I really like this car in terms of value and amenities. To get all the goodies and a great warranty for around $20K is hard to beat.
  • rgrrgr Member Posts: 7
    Well congrats on your recent XG350L purchase. Just a few key points regarding your 2004 "old" model concerns:

1) There is NO difference between the 2004 vs. 2005 XG350L, except additional inclusive options.

2) Specifically, the 2005 includes as "standard" equipment: CD trunk changer and front-back floor mats.

Thus, if you got these included- you DO have a 2005 in actuality (dismissing its manufacture date..)

Your other concerns/observations, I'll briefly note:

-Brakes: best operative braking I've ever experienced. On mine- a bit TOO good, and needed minor adjust

-Power/Torque: exceptional IMHO and enjoyable at initial start..

Accelerator/Throttle: agreed it IS sensitive. Mine settled down (after +2K miles), or I "learned" how to compensate..

-Transmission: same as you a bit "quirky" initially. But has also settled down now as well..

Overall, appreciate the value, styling, and unique "package"- particularly reactions after people realize it's a Hyundai.. Enjoy!
    The 3.0 liter engine in the XG300 is not a Mitsubishi engine. It was a Hyundai design called the Sigma (the current 3.5 is simply a larger version of this engine). So, no, Mitsubishi parts will not work.
  • rick9rick9 Member Posts: 3
    I have a '04 XG350L and wanted to get an "extended factory warranty" on it. I am getting the run-around from the dealers in my area - they say they don't offer extended factory warranties - only 3rd party - D.C/N. Va area.....I saw that you had some information on this....I'm not sure if I am responding to the right person but any help would be appreciated...Thanks - Rick
  • mike91326mike91326 Member Posts: 251
    Has it been less than 12 months and 12,000 miles since you bought your car? If so, I would call Hyundai customer service and ask them. I think Hyundai would be very interested in any dealer that is trying to sell only a 3rd party warranty and not the factory 10/100 warranty. I think that after the first year (I may be wrong) you can not get the 10/100 factory warranty.
    When I purchased my extended warranty for my 350L I went thru my dealer at the time of purchase for $800.00 with no problems. I cannot say the same for a person that I helped who lives in the Florida area who had the same problem as you are having, I just talked to him recently and after app. 3 months of worry and phone calls he finally was told by Hyundai Motors his warranty is in the mail. This fellow went thru the dealer that I purchased my car from, the problem falls on the dealers shoulder, they dropped the ball and forgot about it after they had already charged his credit card for the $800.00. I would suggest doing what the person suggested in post #1658. I really don`t understand why the dealers are not responding to this warranty the way they should be, Hyundai should be notified. Good luck
    It has been less than 1 yr. and 3500 miles. I did call Hyundai Usa and they said to call around other dealers...said it was up to the dealer what as to what warranty to sell....I am still getting the run-around ..... will be a year Feb 28 th.....Thanks - Rick
    Thank you very much.....will pursue it....Rick
  • averigejoeaverigejoe Member Posts: 559
    I have a 2005 XG350L. Same problem, lack of power and no increase in engine revs off idle. Occurred twice so far in first 1000 miles of operation. Occurs on start up after car has been turned off at least one hour. Condition has corrected itself each time after 30 to 60 seconds without turning off motor. Very unsafe defect. If widespread recall is warranted. Going to dealer today. Anyone else having the same problem?
    This is #4 of 4 messages about motor acceleration problems for the XG in the last 30 days or less.

I just got a call from Hyundai service dept saying car is repaired already! (just took it in 4 hours ago, this service dept is great!) My '05 XG350L had a CD changer defect in addition to the lack of throttle response. Service advisor told me the throttle sensor (drive by wire system component) was reset and that should eliminate the problem. He's heard of the problem before and that solution seems to fix it. Hope so, the defect causes potentially deadly situations while driving.

I love almost everything about this car, including the great value for the price paid, BUT, if this defect ever rears its ugly head again I may dump the car in favor of an alternate, probably a new Nissan Altima 4 cylinder with every option available, to try to bring it up to a level of luxury close to the XG. On second thought, since I don't want family members or others killed because of a lack of accelerator response, I guess I should check the boards here on any possible replacement cars to make sure they don't have this or a more serious problem too.

I wonder if Hyundai USA has anyone reading this board.

My immediate family has owned 5 new Hyundais and a Kia over the last several years. Here's hoping we survive this one.
    2005 XG350L. Current mileage 1100 miles. Each tank driven mostly (90%) in town. MPG at Gas tank refills so far:, 19.10, 20.68, 17.52, 17.84 . How are the rest of you doing? I'm pretty satisfied, but hoping for 25 mpg or so at 75 mph on future all interstate trips.

My '04 Kia van with a 3.5 liter motor improved MPG significantly after a couple thousand miles.
    This month, a local dealer is advertising a 2005 XG350L for $18999 after factory rebate and owner loyalty rebate. But in addition to the $18999 the dealer asks $399 for window tint film, $699 for an added security system, and $200 for theft identification registry.

So, for $20297 (plus tax title and license), what do you all think of the deal? The MSRP on the factory sticker is $26594 and includes only factory standard equipment and shipping.

Comments?
  • specialdoc2002specialdoc2002 Member Posts: 54
    The extra $1300 for grossly overpriced crapola that you don't want is a pretty transparent ploy to boost their profit on the deal, if you ask me. There is a dealer in St. Louis that does much the same thing on every new car on their lot. This turns me off big-time, makes them look like scam artists, and not very good ones at that! What do they say if you tell them to delete the window tint film, the security system, and the theft ident registry?
    But even with the crapola it is still a 24% discount from MSRP on a 2005 model. The window film is worth probably 1/2 of the $400 they ask for. I have not seen many ads for 24% discount on Honda Toyota Nissan. The Hyundai rebates on mine were $2000 rebate plus another $1000 owner loyalty discount. The rest of the $ off sticker was a reduction in dealer profit and/or a secret manufacturer to dealer incentives. If the cars are being sold at the ad price of $18999 for a $26594 MSRP car, I'm guessing Hyundai and the dealer are not making any profit. I wonder how many cars the dealer would really sell for the $18999.

Or, do you think maybe they just need to unload them before the new Sonata and new XG come out later this year?

I'm interested in what price (excluding tax title and license) these cars are actually being sold for.
  • specialdoc2002specialdoc2002 Member Posts: 54
    Oh, it's still probably a pretty good deal even with the superfluous add-ons. But one thing to consider is that the new Sonata has been taken up-market to such an extent that it competes rather directly with the present-day XG. That sure isn't going to help the marketability of the remaining XG's.

We paid over $25,000 for our 2002 XG and I can tell you it is not pleasant to realize that it is now worth no more than $10,000!!! It has been a pretty good car, now has 45,000 miles on it, but hasn't been trouble-free by any means.
    The gas pedal failure solution was to replace the Accel Sensor part no. 35357-3B011.
  • danf1danf1 Member Posts: 897
    Window tint is not bad. If you live in the south, it could be wonderful. I'd tell them to keep the security system for that price as the XG already has one on it. The theft registration (window etch) is priced right and can be great if your car is stolen.
    I read that U.S. production of the new model Sonata begins in May of 2005. I did not want to wait that long. The interior of the new Sonata does not look luxurious in the pics I've seen. I have not heard when the Korean built new XG (TG?) will arrive in U.S. for sale, but am guessing fall of 05. I read Sonatas will have a 162 hp 4 cyl or a 237 hp 3.3 liter V6, and maybe 253 hp for the new 3.8 liter in the updated XG.

Is that a Kelley BlueBook trade in price for your used 2002? I think the trade in price is pretty close to what we'll get if we sell to a private party.
    I paid $21,800 for my 2004 350L and I thought I was getting a pretty good deal, $18,999 is out of sight, are you sure that was the price for a 2005 350L. What city is that dealer from? "Something is wrong in Denmark", as the old saying goes.