Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Hyundai XG300 and XG350

Comments

• joe131joe131 Member Posts: 998
    Could you please post that service bulletin for the rest of us too?
  • kdellorussokdellorusso Member Posts: 1
    I also own a 2005 XG350 and have experienced the same problem of the car not exceeding 5mph in drive and also in reverse. I have to turn the car off and restart to fix the problem. This has happened five times in the past 3 months. I brought it in for service yesterday and was told by the mechanic that they could not find anything wrong. Spoke with the service manager today (3/8/07) , advised him of the bulletin that you had written about... faxed him the info...and he has not gotten this bulletin yet. Could you please post any info regarding the bulletin # or code? I would like to get this problem taken care of ASAP, for I feel unsafe driving my car. Thank you for your time! Arlington, MA
  • shumandushumandu Member Posts: 7
    After much investigation my dealer replaced the, Accelerator Position Sensor, no charge, on my 2001 XG. It has only been four days but so far so good. I have to commend the dealer service department here in the Buffalo, NY, area. They spent alot of time trying to resolve this issue. They haven't sold a ton of XG's over the years so this problem is new to them. After driving my car for several days they were able to experience the problem. They had a lap top hooked up and said the codes indicated this Accelerator issue. Of course the issue with a 2005 XG may be different. I do wonder if it has something to do with a computer flash also since many people started to experience this problem around the same time with different year XG's. I'm told the flash is by model not year. Maybe re flashes during service down loaded a bad program?
  • whitetopwhitetop Member Posts: 36
    Sorry I haven't checked this forum for a while - I thought no one was using it any more.

I copied this information from the work invoice:

CAUSE: FLASH PER DPSM

20B007A1 TSB #02-36-007 PCM FLASH 911 WH
    PART # 39106-39350
    PERFORMED FLASH ON MODULE PER DPSM FOR NO ACCEL RESPONSE
    TSB # 02-36-007

I got the idea that since my car received the fix before the release date it is kind of a "guinea pig." However, so far it's like a completely cured car. The hesitation did not occur often, and only time will tell, but the general acceleration behavior of the car is greatly improved. I am very impressed.

I live in SW Missouri. Good luck, everyone. I know it's frustrating when they don't know what to do to fix your car. I got mad that they kept telling me they couldn't duplicate the problem so I called the national customer service line to start a claim. My car was fixed in a matter of a couple of weeks. I can't say my local service advisor was thrilled with me but something got done, which was my goal. As I said, the fix was actually released in February, so it is a new one. Hope this helps!
  • carl0v3rcarl0v3r Member Posts: 2
    My XG350 "forgets" to accelerate after about 15 minutes in stop and go traffic (traffic jam). I can give it the gas and it does nothing until it decides to, then WHAM it goes. I've had it to the dealer three time and it's IN SPEC...RIGHT. I finally got info from the tech center...they weren't supposed to tell the customeer. The issue is that the '05 (and I'm not sure how far before) is completely electronic "linkage" for the accelerator. The earlier half electronic, half manual had a s/w download to fix the problem. No such fix for this model. It's dangerous and a pain. I'm going to file for the Lemon Law because I've had it back 3 times in less than a year with no known fix...that qualifies for the Lemon Law.
  • 350gx350gx Member Posts: 6
    I got the same "can't duplicate the problem" so we can't fix it....used the lemon law to get a full refund
    My '05 is behaving much better since they updated the software. Whatever they changed affected all aspects of the car's acceleration.

It's true that it is difficult to get used to the electronic acceleration on these cars. A lot of high-end cars use a system like this one. I saw on a Honda Accord commercial the other day that the Accord features it now, as well.

If you like all the other aspects of the car I would try showing your service department the information I posted. I'm impressed with the difference it made in my car.
  • hammer65hammer65 Member Posts: 1
    Our XG350 Is doing much better since the software update.
    It seemed the real bad hesitation happened when the weather was cold. So will not be sure if it is cured until winter.
  • amazingdamazingd Member Posts: 1
    Were you able to find the solution? I have a Hyundai XG300 with 48,000 miles and I am having the same problems with my car. While I am driving suddenly shudder and automatically change to the 3th gear and is not able to change it, starts to make a funny noise, the engine light turns on. I was told it is a problem with the transmission. I don't want to take it to the dealer because I don't know how much will cost. If you found the solution and you are willing to share it with me, I would appreciate it.
    Read all the replies in this thread. I had my transmission replaced in my 2001 XG300 in it's second year. But the current problem I experienced was a faulty, Accelerator Position Sensor, after replacement all seems fine.. If you are the original owner the trans is covered for 10 years, so is the sensor. I would take it to the dealer if I were you.
  • miketelishmiketelish Member Posts: 1
    HELLO I HAVE XG300 WITH 80,000 JUST REPLACED IGNITION COILS AND SPARK PLUGS AND WIRES. AFTER MY CAR STILL HAS PROBLEMS ACCELERATING. THE MISFIRE CODES WENT AWAY BUT THERE'S A NEW CODE FOR THE REPLACEMENT OF APS( ACCELERATOR POSITION SENSOR) I HOPE IT WILL FIX THE PROBLEM. WILL KEEP YOU POSTED.
    The two times my car refused to go were after we had a cold spell lasting a few days. The other similar condition was both times it happened I was driving forward from a parked position without backing up. Both times I was able to get the car to work again by pumping the accelerator a few times, which would lead a person to believe the position sensor was the problem.

However, the software fix has made a world of difference in the general behavior of the car. I guess we'll find out next winter whether or not the fix is long-lasting.

Glad yours is working better.I'm really glad Hyundai came up with a fix. I guess they got tired of taking cars back due to lemon laws.
  • johno111johno111 Member Posts: 114
    Anyone having trouble with the car alarm. My is in the process of making me crazy. Last week it went off in the middle of the night, then the lights quit flashing when you push the lock or unlock button on the key fob. Now the alarm goes off about 10-15 minutes after you lock the car with the key fob. I'm going to look thru the online manuals before I make a trip to the dealer. Oh it's a 2001 XG300.
    Thanks John0
    Squirrels are setting your alarm off. Just unhook the alarm wires. Who the heck is gonna steal a 20001 Hyundai
    anyway?
    I find no rhyme nor reason as to which of the two memorized seat/mirror positions will present itself when I unlock and enter my car. The manual is no help in explaining it.
    Anyone have a theory? Or better yet, anyone have a written instruction and/or explanation from Hyundai?
    This is true. I took a look at the online manuals and I'm going to try to unplug the left connection from the ETACS unit and see if that stops it and find out what else doesn't work once that is unpluged.
    John0
    If I remember correctly I believe that you need to set the parking brake on or the seat and mirror stays in the same place.

John0
    That is an answer to a different question, not mine.
    I know the parking brake needs to be set and the auto button turned on so the seat will go all the way back automatically (1) when the car is turned off and (2) when you unlock the door before entering. That feature just makes it easier to get in and out of the car.
    My question is, how does the car decide which of the two memorized driving positions the seats and mirrors will automatically go to when the driver is ready to drive away?

Anyone have an official word on that? Or experience which has proven correct?
    Well if it's anything like my Ford Explorer the memory works off the Key Fob.
    Maybe no one understands my question. I'm saying that the car decides somehow to go to memory 1 or memory 2 all by itself. I want to know how it chooses and whether I have any influence over it in the automatic choosing of one or the other.
    Yes, I use the key fob to unlock the door. The key fob has a lock and unlock button, but no buttons for memory 1 nor 2.
    Does anyone understand my question?
    We use that feature quite often. From my experience the car uses whichever one was in effect when the car was last running. As long as I am the only person driving the car it stays in #1 mode. When it gets switched to #2 it will stay there until it is changed back. There have been a couple of instances when the system shut off and wouldn't do anything until I reset it.
    When you say switched to #2, do you mean just by pressing the button labeled 2 on the driver's door?
  • carl0v3rcarl0v3r Member Posts: 2
    The XG350 has significant fuel problems that manifest themselves in many ways. Mine is: no response to the throttle when sitting in a traffic jam for any amount of time. I nearly got T-boned. The dealers will not admit there is a problem because it would result in a massive recall. I got info from the Tech Center through a naive (honest) service mechanic who called when his boss was at lunch...the Tech Center knows there is a problem with the electronic fuel sensor "memory" system, but there is no fix at this time. The "download" for previous XG fuel systems doesn't fix it.
    So how do you get going again? Do you have to get it towed away from the traffic jam?

What year XG 350 cars are affected?
  • fblack1fblack1 Member Posts: 1
    My XGL has 38K miles on it and has a cracked engine block! I have done the maintenance and after 1 week, the dealer agreed it was a warranty repair! However, 2weeks later they still have the car....

What can I expect with this type of repair. To fix this should I get an additional warranty on the engine? Since the whole engine is being taken out (repaired according to service dept.)will the dealer be responsible for new fluids, filters and alignment or will they try and charge me??? Sorry, I don't know what to ask and feel I am being given the run around... Thanks for any input!
    No cost to you for anything on the repair. You'll have the remainder of the warranty on your car, the same as if no repair had been done. I hope they give you a free loaner, but you are prpbably not owed one. The repair should take no longer than 2 more weeks.
    That's my guess anyway.

Talk to the service manager. He should have the answers to all your questions. He is not the enemy.
  • campos2728campos2728 Member Posts: 1
    I have just purchased a pre-owned 2004 XG350L and I am really impressed with it. It is the best riding car I have ever owned, which includes ACURA, MAZDA 929 and HONDA ACCORD. My only complaint so far is the radio reception in the AM band. I wonder if adding a whip antenna would solve the problem, or is it possible there is a break in the coax antenna lead-in?
    Yeah, the XG has a nice ride so long as you don't push it very hard in the curves or bumpy surfaces. It will also bottom out under hard braking.
    The ride is very compliant and smooth over most surfaces at legal and reasonable speeds. It has a really heavy feel to it, very planted on the road, not twitchy or nervous feeling.
    I used to have a Jaguar XJ sedan. It had a ride similar to the XG.
    The AM reception problem could be related to a high metal content in some aftermarket window tint films. The antenna is inside the glass in the XG and the film may be interfering with the signal.
  • melissa7melissa7 Member Posts: 5
    I have a 2001 XG Love the way the car looks Its black,leather seats but If something goes wrong with it the dealerships too stupid they cant even fix it . Ive spent alot of money on getting the engine light off both times oh its throttle body gasket $6.00 for part $170.00 for labor 3 days later light comes back on it surges really bad so I drove it back to dealership they tell me my moter probaly will go out time to trade it in.Well I have one question I had a friend replce alternator on it my battery and brake light still flashes on I have new battery,and brakes is there a relay code something that needs to be reset?also sometimes while Im driving doing about 60 it bogs down like its gonna to stall then it kicks back in this car has a mind of its on I still owe on it If I could find someone that could work on it I would like to keep it someone please give me some info Thanks.
    Read all posts in this thread. You probably need your Accelerator Position Sensor replaced. Find a reputable dealer and they shouldn't charge you it's a warranty issue.
  • inksterinkster Member Posts: 2
    Does anyone know where the speed sensor is in a XG300.
  • archer_bugzarcher_bugz Member Posts: 2
    Hey Melissa,
    I just got a 2001 XG300, and seem to be facing a similar problem
    1. When i accelerate, the motor goes upto 4000 rpm but doesn't accelerate. i move my leg off the throttle and after a few seconds it works like a charm.
    2. at times, i dun get any acceleration and almost got bogged down but thankfully was in an empty lane.
    If you solved your problem, could you let me know?
  • 350gx350gx Member Posts: 6
    I returned my 2006xg to Hyundai under the FL lemon law for the same problems you are having. If you look through edmunds you will find lots of sorry buyers with this dangerous problem
    2006 XG ?
    Are you sure?
    I think the last model year made was 2005.
    What does it say on your door info plate about model year and manufacture date?
  • biglar1biglar1 Member Posts: 8
    Someone at work had a dead battery today, and I tried to give him a jump with my XG300. When the first try didn't work, we tried another set of cables, and they didn't work either. When I touched the jumpers from my battery together, there wasn't any spark. Is there something about the XG that prevents jumping another car?
    On today's newer cars, never jump another person's weak battery UNLESS you first electrically disconnect your battery from your car first. You can mess up your car's computer and end up paying over $1000 to fix it because of your good deed.
    (not sure, but it might harm his car's computer too)
    I bought a used XG300 about a year ago, and the car has been running great. About two months ago, after a night of heavy rain, when starting out in the morning, the car skipped and bucked for about one mile, then smoothed out and ran fine. The "check engine" light came on, but went out the next day, and the car was fine.
    About a month later, the same thing happened - heavy overnight rains. Once again, the problem only lasted a mile or so. I made an appointment with the dealer, but the light again went out before I brought it in.
    The mechanic found a mis-fire code. He sprayed some water on the aftermarket plug wires, and one of them arced. I wound up having a major tuneup (very expensive), but the car was now running better than ever for the next month.
    The night before last we had heavy rains again, and the problem came back, again lasting only a mile or two, then running fine again.
    Has anyone had this happen, and does anyone have any idea what's going on? It only happens after overnight rains, and has never exhibited this during the day or during or after any other rain.
  • pithagampithagam Member Posts: 1
    I bought a 2004 XG350XL with 18,000 miles on it, have driven it 4,000 miles and in the last 3 months,4 times the brakes have acted weird. Just for the period of one stop, and then the rest of the trip is fine.

I read all the posts here, and maybe the best description is that they "shudder." They stop OK, and it's been weeks between episodes - just long enough to forget about it as an abberation and then, there they go.

My husband checked the rotors and said they look fine.

I don't have a lot of money to go to the dealer - any other simple things we can check? Has anybody else had this problem?

It's kind of scary, so thank you very much. This forum is very interesting and valuable.
    I've had 2 throttle gaskets replaced gasket cost bout $5.00 labor alot more car still not right dealership told me it's time to trade it in. I have problem when I start it up it sputters I just pump gas few times after rpms go up its fine plus Sometimes i'll be doing 50,60 it loses power like its gonna quit then kicks back in. If I'm trying to pass it don't have any power. I don't know, well one thing I know I won't never take it back to dealership they don't know how to fix xg300s.Theres a website Hyundai Service Technology its got everything click on service parts. Theres sensors all over the car..Tell me if you figure out anything I just want the power back on my car....Its slow!
    My car does that I almost had a wreck.The brakes shuddered I have new brakes.This car is crazy anything you replace its like it doesn't fix it.I had new alternator put on . My brake and batery light stay on. I have new battery,brakes,battery cables...I give up. I have no power now it sputters can't pass anyone can't hardly make it up a hill. I've taken it to dealership spent $500.00.I thought they fix it had to take it back few days later. They told me it was time to trade it in.I like this car I want it fixed.I don't have alot of money but if I could take it to someone and they actually knew how to fix it I would..Good luck!!!
    Hyundai has come up with a fix for this problem. I posted the information a few months back that tells the number of the release, which came out in February of this year. It involves downloading new linear movement software. They fixed mine in January of this year and so far it has worked fine. Good luck. I know how frustrating it is. I really like the car, but I still have to get psyched just to go in for an oil change.
    How much did that cost an arm and a leg.I had mine hooked up to computer today 12 codes came up. I like my car too but i'm single parent if i pay money to get it fixed i need it fixed. I've spent quite bit of money still not fixed.
  • obandoobando Member Posts: 1
    Melissa, you might want to have your master air flow sensor check out. I had a similar problem with gaining speed from a complete stop and accelerating up a hill, but once I got above 50 mph it got better. I paid about $300 for parts and labor. It was mostly parts. Good luck!!
    My car is still under the original warranty, so I don't know the cost. All they did was upload software. Good Luck.
  • rhealrheal Member Posts: 1
    hello, i have a 2001 XG300, with all the same symptoms. Won't go much over 2000 RPM, unless you use manual shift.
    Happens at random. My dealer hooked up to computer andgot no results. i told him what I found on the net, about the acceleratror position sensor, he didn't listen.
    If you have any more info, it would be greatly appreciated, my e-mail is maxan@cogeco.ca
    many thanks.
    I know as soon as I can I'm getting rid of this car!! I like the car everything about it but If no one knows how to work on it even the dealership why have it.. When I first got the car it was fast now I can't even pass anyone I have people passing me going up a hill how embaressing! I'm getting a Chevy Maxx . I'll never have another HYUNDAI no wonder they have the warranty they have !!!!
  • desroygdesroyg Member Posts: 1
    I have the same problem. I cannot cross the road unless there is there is no uncoming traffic. I have no faith that it won't stop in the middle of the street. I bought this thing brand new in 2001. The worse car I ever owned.
  • diehardforddiehardford Member Posts: 50
    My wife"s xg will do the same thing . Hesitate on starts, rough idle louse power tries to stall going down road. Dealer did chemical cleaning of injectors and this cured problem for a short period. I have found that the injectors in this car are very finicky to say the least. About once a month I put a can of injector cleaner in the gas tank. I have found that SEA FOAM from advance auto stores works the best. This stuff is expensive at about 6.50 per can but works a lot better than other brands. Try about 2 tanks and see if this helps
    Actually had a similar problem, particularly when it rained - erratic idle, skipping, check engine light going on and off, car wanting to stall. It would smooth out once the car warmed up.

The car has three coils, one each on plug wires 2, 4, and 6. I wound up replacing all three over a six-month period, and it fixed the problem. The coils sit at the front of the transverse engine, and the problem would only occur when it was raining and the rain was blowing into the front of the car. I believe the computer codes were 302, 304 and 306. Difficult to diagnose. In each case the coil housing had developed tiny cracks, and water was seeping in.
  • edmund6edmund6 Member Posts: 3
    I have a 2002 XG350L with 168,070 miles ya thats correct 168,070 and the only thing that went wrong was a couple of hoses here and there. With enuff care it will be forgiving even if u beat it up and down twists and turns. All I have to say to all u out there with all these car problems daaaaaaaaaaaa ummmmmmmmm it's called
    Maintenance you should try it some time!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! HAHAHAHAHA PITY
    Couple of things that these odd cars from the pacific rim are known for
    1.short 1st/2nd gear for faster acceleration and gas millage all thought it dosent go that fast nor get good gas millige