Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Hyundai XG300 and XG350

Comments

• lanman2lanman2 Member Posts: 13
    Since my wife traded her 2000 Sonata for a 2001 XG300L, I've come to realize how nice a vehicle it is. I've asked the dealer to get me a deal on an XG350L. Last Thursday, a Slate Gray one arrived.

I saw there is a second dome light located just behind the moonroof. It really lit up the whole interior! It's nice to see Hyundai responded to complaints about the back being dark.

Sorry I didn't notice if the map lights are still there.
    LANMAN2
  • john115john115 Member Posts: 45
    After 2 replacements with the plastic clips,which also broke my dealer serv.mgr. said they were now
    being made of metal.Since they replaced both clips
    with new type no problems.My dealer is Valley Hyundai,in Henderson, NV.They also recommend oil changes every 3,000 miles.Of course it gets very hot here.And by the way oil changes are FREE for the first 24k or two years.
  • har1bushhar1bush Member Posts: 207
    does anyone know where I can rent out an XG?
  • hjr2hjr2 Member Posts: 105
    3.5 liter AND 35 LB TORQUE INCREASE OVER xg300!(xg300 was 3.0 liter)
    Also, 2 hp more this year. 192 for xg300, 194 for xg350. the torque this year is 216 lbs for xg350, last year it was 181 lb torque per sq foot for xg300, i believe.
  • mikewesqmikewesq Member Posts: 32
    The flat, somewhat semi-circular lid that covers the spare tire well (providing a flat trunk floor under the carper) in my XG300L had bugged me for months. It made a lot of thumping noise when I would go over fairly minor road bumps. The edge of the lid had a very thin stip of foam stapled to the bottom as insulation, obviously inadequate. I kept trying to think of a way to fix the problem, and finally went to the hardware store to look for a solution. I was thinking of getting some thicker foam, the kind you might find in rolls with a self-adhesive nacking for weatherstripping windows, etc. I did not find anything like that, but I saw some foam pipe insulation that looked like it might work. This stuff is like a foam pipe, with a slit that lets you cover water pipes with it. I bought two so that I would have enough length. Out in the parking lot, I removed the carpet and lifted out the lid. The foam fit perfectly when I worked the edge of the lid into the slit. I was able to cover the semi-circular edge almost all the way, and cut off a 7 inch length from the second one to finish. I left the back edge of the lid alone.

It works! Finally, there was no "thumpety-thump" noise coming from the rear of the car! I had originally thought that there was something seriously wrong with the rear suspension, but it was only the lid banging around on the metal trunk bottom. There is now a little bulge running in a semi-circle on the trunk floor under the carpet, but that may flatten out a bit after having some luggage on top of it this Christmas.

I am really pleased at my fix, which cost me less than US$2.00. But why the cheesy foam on the part in the first place? A very unfortunate bit of cost-saving, in my opinion. Has anyone else noticed a thumping sound coning from their trunk? (Assuming your mother-in-law is not in there!)
  • viking13viking13 Member Posts: 4
    In response to the post detailing how to get rid of a rear end noise, I also experienced the same noise - most noticeable at slow speeds. The dealer installed new rear struts but the noise still persists. I was just getting ready to take the car back to the dealer. I will now try the fix described by Mikewesq - hope it works..!!
  • backybacky Member Posts: 18,949
    I have seen XGs in the Hertz fleet at Chicago O'Hare Airport. They carry most of the Hyundai models there. Other Hertz locations may also have them.
  • hvan3hvan3 Member Posts: 630
    If Hyundai is not able to fix your vehicle to your satisfaction, I would insist that your car insurance company buy the vehicle back from you.

Going to the dealer may be a waste of time. Take your matter with the insurance company.
  • phdepphdep Member Posts: 9
    i have had my xg300L now for about 2 months and put on about 2000 miles and love the car, except for one MINOR problem, when i shift into DRIVE be it from park, reverse, or neutral it takes about ONE SECOND to engage, have called a couple of dealer service dept.'s and they say its VERY NORMAL, well anybody else out there who has a XG300 having this "problem"? If you want can e mail me at [email protected] thanks
  • dvdphiledvdphile Member Posts: 11
    At almost 6000 miles the delay shifting into drive always occurs and i consider it normal. All autos have some delay but the xg is a bit longer. The xg is a very good car and i would buy another if i had to do it again.-
  • yk911yk911 Member Posts: 130
    mine does that too... it's in the design of the tranny that creates this "delay"
    as they tried to design this tranny to be as "close" to a manual tranny.
  • leirexleirex Member Posts: 50
    Happy New Year!
    If you remember, I have had a series of problems in the last three months since I bought mine on 9/9/01, including the pesky paint problem. I hate to report that mine is in the shop again, maybe sixth or seventh time in about four months at around 7800 miles.
    I took it to service for 7.5k checkup on 12/28 to be notified that alternator had a intermittent problem. I was told that it needed to be ordered for overnight delivery which would take about a week due to holidays.
    In summary, mine has had five or six different problems and been in the shop for about a month in total lenth. That means that I had to drive rental cars for one month. I had oppotunities to drive several different rental cars including Buick Regal, Dodge Intrepid, Chevy Lumina and Chevy Malibu to name a few. So far, none of these came close to the XG300L in overall driving experience except the problems that I had had.
    I am afraid that I have gotten a good lemon from Hyundai. So far, their service has been satisfactory. Well.....
  • hvan3hvan3 Member Posts: 630
    Sorry to hear about your problems.

Request a new 2002 Chevy Impala LS as a rental. I bet you will be pleasantly suprise with the room and comfort of the Impala. In addition, it's the most "value" mid size sedan of ANY domestic vehicles. Also rated as "Best Buy" by Consumer Report.

Be sure it's Impala LS, not base Impala. The LS has 3.8 engine, whereas the base Impala is 3.5. Totally different vehicles.
  • hjr2hjr2 Member Posts: 105
    that is odd....but not uncommon, for ANY mfg to make a lemon. Our 1979 buick had electrical fire in first 90 days. a year later, paint peeled off the hood and roof. Nice grey primer look.
    carb kept the car choking out alot.

Chevy spectrum(i know it was isuzu, but sold and serviced at Chevy) it was terrible, master cylinder died out before 12,000 miles, brakes kept fading out so bad as to be replaced every 6000 HIGHWAY miles, and the car kept dying out.

Nissan 1997 200sx, ignition coil, starter, and a few other things burnt up(plugs,also) at 63,000 miles, 3 years.....left me stranded in 15 degree weather, no fun!
    $1000 dollars at Cheap shop to fix(almost $1,800 if i went to Nissan), engine light stayed on,, yet they couldn't find the problem.

Oh, the steel backing frame camne through the driver's seat at 40,000 miles, right after warranty expired!!!(at least your stuff is covered).

the biggest problem I have had, after a wreck, we discovered(after car was fixed, about 6 months later) CD player was ko'd. It will take $100-150 to fix, but i will uise the cassette player instead and save my cash, for now.

This was for our 99 sonata v6.

our 2001 tiburon has almost 19,000 miles in 6 1/2months. Zero problems.

We even had a 2001 elantra for 11 days, 2000 miles(had 17,000 on it at rental time) due to wreck on sonata, no problems.

Not messing with ya, just being honest. Oh, our timing belt needed changed at 58,500(60,000 recommended), replaced free..saved me $400.
    It was still under warranty.

Sorry ya had problems.....don't wish that on anyone.
  • john00john00 Member Posts: 27
    I noticed the other day while driving in the snow
    that the traction control light would flicker when
    wheel spin occurred. I was wondering if this is normal. Yoon you would probably know or have experienced this being from Canada.
  • yk911yk911 Member Posts: 130
    When your light flickers... it is showing you that the "traction control" is indeed working.
    ^_^

this happens to me pretty frequently whenever there is a huge snowfall here in canada.
  • nobeenobee Member Posts: 194
    every make and model from Daewoos all the way up to Bentleys...it just happens. I just recently purchased a 3-series BMW and on the very first day I heard some rattling under the hood. What!!! I just plunked down over $30K and somethings rattling??? It was unreal. But I realized, not everyone is perfect.

Most of the time you're going to get an excellent vehicle from Hyundai, but they're not perfect, hence the 10/100,000 warranty.
    -nobee
  • david1812david1812 Member Posts: 17
    Very sorry to hear about your accident. This may already be water under the bridge but I had a question for you. You mentioned that your XG "split or severed" a pole. Did the pole break into two pieces? If the pole did break, it means that the pole also absorbed substantial amount of force as well. If the pole didn't break, airbags should have deployed as that would have meant that the car had to deal with most of the energy.
    If you remember, I have had varigated problems including the paint problem during the last four months since I bought mine on 9/9/01. On top of those problems, as you might recall, the computer scan during the 75k check-up on my XG300L found a intermittent problem on alternator, which kept it in the shop for a week during holiday season. Engine noise came from the bad alternator. It was supposed to be fixed with the new alternator. Wind noise problem was also fixed according to my service rep. I noticed though that now engine noise got a little louder and that the wind noise is also a little more noticeable in different sound pattern. Well, I am fed up with taking my car to the shop after I did about six times already in the past four months. I decided to live up with the noises.

Now "Airbag" light started coming on. Yesterday, it was flickering on and off. Now it remains on. What does this mean? Do I have to take it to service to check? Does airbag have something wrong with it? After reading all scary posts regarding the possible malfunction of airbag, this really bothers me.

Now another issue. Ok, I define that I have gotten a lemon trying to defend my decision. Is a lemon qualified to have continuous problems one after another? Do I have to expect just another problem endlessly after one problem is fixed for the rest of this car's life? Is mine a collection of all the possible problems that XG300 might have or should I declare that Hyundai is a typical name for poor quality that deserves many's reprimands?

I hope you understand how I feel when I am turning from a satisfied to an fed-up unsatisfied. Disappointment is even greater when your expectation was great.

Best Wishes
  • sobright1sobright1 Member Posts: 78
    If I recall correctly Leirex and I have a very similar story. Both of us started out with XG's. Both of us had wrecks. While his was at an angle at greater speed totaling the car (which he replaced), mine was head on but still with great force severing a pole at its base. NEITHER time did the airbags go off. In my case Hyundai says that it is normal. By the way, my airbag light also came on and was "reset" before my wreck. I believe that the airbags in an XG300/350 are only ornamental. I really believe that these airbags are going to kill people who depend on them. Even worse, my wreck was caused by a complete failure of the anti-lock brake system. Given that this occurred at the exact time that I did $9000 damage to the car I could not explain (or understand) what happened until I got the car out of the body shop. After I got the car out of the shop I hit the brakes hard at perhaps 10 miles per hour on a wet pavement and slid all over the place. Even at that low speed it was scary. I took the car to the shop where they tried for weeks to fix it. The regional service rep was called in several times. After nearly three weeks the mechanic discovered that on the six brake lines entering into the traction control module, only two were installed into the correct orifice. By the time they had found what they think was the problem the problem the car had been panic stopped repeatedly all over the place, tire marks were left all over their parking lot and the street, where the mechanic even admitted that while testing the brakes on one occasion he turned the car completely sideways in the road trying to stop. Additionally, from being in the shop and being worked on there is now an additional dent on the fender and paint flaking on the hood. As I last saw the car several weeks ago, it may be even worse now. I Currently don't know if the car is fixed or not (nor do I care). You can only experience and test the problem on rain slick roads and I am not driving it again rain or otherwise. After the third week in the shop, I asked the shop manager to arrange a meeting between Hyundai and myself. After reviewing all of the pictures of the wreck, inspecting the car, and talking to the mechanic, the factory rep and I agreed, given the wear and tear on the car, the fact that I will never trust it again, and all that I had been through, that Hynudai would replace the car with a new XG350L. To tell you the truth, I did not want another Hyundai anything but I thought that this was the best deal I could get. My plan was to trade it immediately on something more reliable, safer, and more trustworthy. By this time, the mechanic, the shop foreman, the factory rep, and the manager of the dealership all felt that I deserved a new car. The only stumbling block was that corporate Hyundai had to approve the deal which they all suggested would be no problem given all of the evidence. I was told that I would hear something by the next day. That next day took one month and one day before Hyundai rejected the deal.

To sum up the situation, I paid over $25,000 cash for this car. Through no fault of my own, and completely through poor workmanship on the part of Hyundai I killed a dog, took out a pole, took out the windshield with my head, ruined my vacation, had to stand in the rain for hours waiting as they cleared the accident and for someone to arrive to take my wife and I home, had to undergo medical tests and soreness for weeks (luckily I was not badly injured) then had to wait three weeks on the body shop finished, drove the car for about a week before it scared hell out of me (again), then put it in the shop where they tore hell out of it for three weeks trying to find out what was wrong with the brakes, only to be led to believe I would get a new car the next day. Unfortunately, over a month later Hyundai decided to back out of the deal. By the way, the entire time I called Hyundai repeatedly always pleading to speak to someone about my problem and always being assured that they would call me back. Despite repeated calls, Hyundai never called me. Not one time. The only thing worse than their cars is their customer service. I have been paying insurance on a car that I have been without over four months and Hyundai could not give a damn.

RUN, RUN, RUN if you are considering a Hyundai product. Even if you manage to get one of the apparently rare non-lemons HYUNDAI WILL NOT STAND BEHIND THEIR PRODUCTS!
  • treybrad1treybrad1 Member Posts: 10
    Nice try but you won't fool us.
  • mikewesqmikewesq Member Posts: 32
    With your story, you should find a ;awyer who has experience in lemon law cases immediately. Check with your local legal referral service. You should sue Hyundai for your personal injuries as well. Sounds like that defective traction control has been documented. you should have your lawyer tell Hyundai that it's too late to give you a new car, you want money and you want it NOW, not a month from now. This kind of attitude on Hyundai's part is inexcusable.

Unless consumers get legal help and take car companies to court, they will not have any incentive to give good warranty service. They should care if they want to instill owner loyalty, but to often this is not the case.

I'm a lawyer myself, and an XG owner. I would not hestitate to threaten legal action if I had been treated in the fashion that you describe.
  • hyundaimahyundaima Member Posts: 197
    And your car has only 4 wheels; 4 brake lines come out of the ABS module...
  • jyk1981jyk1981 Member Posts: 37
    According to Korean Newspaper, there going to be Model Change(again!!) in the XG350. It's going to be full model change. Hyundai going to release it in Korea sometime September 2002. I think Hyundai's going to release it in here sometime mid 2003 as 2004 model (like 2003 Tiburon)
  • matsumotomatsumoto Member Posts: 7
    I dunno if that change will make it to the states
    There are artist's renderings which seem to be
    pretty accurate

By most accounts, the front fascia will have minimal change the fog lights will become retangular instead of the curent round ones. This is too give it a more luxury look.

And the rear tailight will be elongated into the rear decklid. The lights will protrude into the deck.

So it seems like a minor facelift to me.
    My question is, will they send them over with a xenon(and ornavigation) option like they do in Korea?

The Dynasty model(a model above the Xg and below the V8 Equus) will definitely undergo a full model change and that's what jyk may be referring to.
    First of all, trebrad1, I am not Lirex. I haven't posted on this board for weeks waiting on Hyundai to respond one way or another. His sad story is just similar to my own. (Assuming that I am not mistaken by a name similar to his - if so sorry Lirex), if you go back far enough, when Lirex got his first XG and I first complained about my airbag failure, he jumped me a bit defending his then precious Hyundai. Later though, from reading his posts, it looks like he came to understand my frustrations with Hyundai first hand. If I recall correctly, he lives on the west coast. I live in Memphis. It is that simple. To be fair, if you go back to my own posts from April or so I too spoke glowingly about my XG and still loved it, except for a few problems, right up to the time I wrecked it. I cannot speak about the long term reliability of the cars, only about my own personal lemon. However, and I learned this first hand, Hyundai's customer service is non-existant. Doubt me if you will but they never return phone calls and will not let you speak to anyone who can do anything. They take their time even while people are waiting on them and never follow up. They are either completely incompetent or their actions are deliberate and thus designed to prevent customers from ever actually talking to anyone but the lowest level of their employees. From my perspective, their word is worthless. It was impossible for me to speak with the regional service rep myself, nor could I contact anyone at Hyundai who would contact him on my behalf. Seemingly, no one at Hyundai even knew how to do so. While my car was in the shop I waited sometimes days at a time for the service rep to contact the mechanic with a new suggestion as to how to solve the problem, a problem that the mechanic apparently solved on his own. Of course, I am still not entirely convinced that it is repaired as the only way to be sure would be to attempt to suddenly stop the car on a rain slick road. Hyundai seemed to have no clue as to how to repair the car, nor did they appear to me particularly concerned. Frankly I feel sorry for the dealer. I believe that my particular case has made them disillusioned and embarrassed by Hyundai. When I was told about Hyundai's decision to rescind their offer to give me a new car, one of the dealer's representative familiar with the entire chain of events described Hyundai decision as "very disappointing" and referred to Hyundai's corporate people who made the decision as "extremely ignorant". So frustrated was he by Hyundai's actions that he went on to say that he was "on the front lines trying to defend their f***ing products". So obvious were my cars defects that the general manager of the dealership called his boss, who presides over several other dealerships asking him to intercede by contacting Hyundai and pleading my case. Apparently they did not listen.

Thanks for the advise Mikewesq. I sincerely hope that your XG continues to give you reliable service. Unfortunately, thus far for me it has been difficult getting a lawyer to talk to me. Most only want to talk to you if there is a potential windfall from a personal injury and I am told that suing a large corporation is often time consuming. Forgive me as I don't mean to offend you, but most seem to be ambulance chasers. I have a friend, a US District Attorney, who is going to recommend a competent and aggressive attorney. Luckily, the dealership documented everything that they did in an attempt to repair the car and wrote it on the service ticket. I think that the case would be rather cut and dry, particularly should the jury see the pictures of my car crumpled up against that telephone pole with the airbags still safely tucked inside the dashboard and an imprint of my forehead still on the windshield. Prior to taking my car to Hyundai I did speak to a lawyer about Tennessee's Lemon law. Unfortunately, he told me that the lemon law could only be invoked if the vehicle had not been damaged. Believe me, this vehicle was damaged big time. It seems a catch 22 in that the damage prevents me from invoking the lemon law yet one of the malfunctions which made the car a lemon caused the damage. It appears that I will have better luck going after Hyundai from a product liability standpoint. I have never sued anyone, and don't want to now, but Hyundai's treatment of me has been deplorable and cannot be ignored without at least an attempt to recover the money I have lost. Hyundai is arrogantly ignoring their customers and not standing behind, in my case anyway, their flawed products. I suspect that they are hoping that I am poor enough that I cannot live without the car and will cave in and accept the old car. Hell, I'll go buy a new Avalon or Highlander first. I am lucky enough to be able to do so and angry enough to take their A%%
    to court and seek punitive damages.

Hyundaima, I really do appreciate your input. I appreciate any new insight into the car I can garner. Yes, I remember your telling me that there is no separate traction control module. Apparently it is built into the anti-lock brake module. As I have not had my car in over four months and I cannot go out and look under the hood myself, I will take your word on it. Regarding the four lines instead of six, again you may be right. I have no reason to doubt you. However the mechanic working on my car, who seems to know more about the car than Hyundai's regional service rep, said that there were six. Could two of these be return lines? Regardless, I swear on the Bible that I am telling the truth when I tell you that the car seems to stop fine on dry pavement (never tried a panic stop). However in the rain I can only describe it as like attempting to stop on a sheet of ice (without anti-lock brakes). I am as surprised to say this as some of you are to read it but it is the only way I know to describe the braking on the car. The mechanic told me that some wheels were not getting enough pressure while others were getting too much. If this is true, my only guess is that the wheel (or wheels) that was getting excessive brake pressure was going into a skid while the others were perhaps not getting any pressure at all. The mechanic feels that this is why the car slid completely sideways in the road during one of his tests and stopped far better with the anti-lock brakes turned off. Factor in a heavy car and 15 inch tires and you have a potential disaster. By the way Hyundaima, you sound like perhaps you work in some capacity for Hyundai or perhaps a dealer. If so, without meaning any ill-will toward you, please feel free to let Hyundai know I am on the web and angry as hell. Two local television stations have consumer reporters who report on unethical practices and consumer rip-offs so I am planning on going to the local news media next week. Hyundai has left me no other option. I figure that they have cost me thus far up to the $25,0000 I spent on the car not counting all of the
  • acelinkacelink Member Posts: 106
    Your Korean must be getting rusty. If not, please name the newspaper that you are referring about.

Matsumoto, I agree with you. According to the January issue of Car Life (leading automotive magazine in Korea), Hyundai will start selling face-lifted XGs sometimes in February. Major change to the front seems like replacing the round fog lights with the rectangular ones, which I personally think is a bad move. It somewhat softens up the previously "sporting" look that came with its original fog lights.
    Your story would be a lot more credible.
  • jyk1981jyk1981 Member Posts: 37
    I think that site was car.chosun.com in December or January issue..
    They said, Hyundai & Kia gonna release World car, Sorrento, & planning model change in XG. They did not say it's gonna be facelift. But I guess it's gonna be the minor facelift.
  • phillyglphillygl Member Posts: 2
    After reading at least two terrible stories about the xg and how the Hyundai corporate office have dealt with your case and how lawyers view cases against corporations - your next step is to go on public tv and embarass someone. I must admit that as much as I like the Hyundai product and company - if I were facing loses of your magnitude with a company like Hyundai-who are trying to rid their past reputation for bad quality, it would be time to try the Hyundai decision makers in the court of public opinion where loses are far greater than in civil court.

Have you attempted to write to Finbarr O'Neil (President & CEO of Hyundai USA)? www.hyundainews.com
  • dvdphiledvdphile Member Posts: 11
    After having bought probably 25-30 new cars in my lifetime i really know how it feels when you have to return your "new" car to the dealer for repairs. Sickening and mad are probably the best words to describe the experience. Fortunately tho i haven't had the worst experienced by the owners of xg's who had accidents etc. But for whatever its worth, after reading about the abs problems some may have had, i went out in my xg and "locked up" a couple of times and all worked well. I didn't ram anything to test the airbags and of course hope that test never happens. I have over 6200 miles on my xg and really love the car for a number of reasons. But of course if there safety related problems i would be concerned. After all the new cars and problems i have bought i feel that without doubt that there are a few lemons out there. I will also say that every new car i have bought has had something wrong. I bought Motor Trends car of the year (97 Malibu). That should have been car of the year not to buy. Many unfixable problems. I've probably logged thousands of hours at gm,mitsu,nissan,ford, on the phone,test drives,repairs etc.etc. The perfect car does not exist. I will say the dealer service i have received on my xg (Carpros-Lacey,Wa.)is the best i have ever had.
    I don't know why Hyundai isn't responding in a positive way to some of what appear to be the most serious of problems. I guess i'm lucky.
    sorry, your story just doesn't add up. I challenge you to bring the mechanic to this message board. I'd like to hear from him what the hell is wrong with your car and what exactly he did to try to fix it. Sounds like they are very supportive of you and it shouldn't be a problem for him doing the same thing here.

The dealer is Covington Pike Hyundai, correct?

http://www.covingtonpikemazdahyundai.com/

Yes, the dealer was Covington Pike Hyundai in Memphis. The service director is David Feezor and the shop foreman (mechanic) is Joe Griffin, the general manager of the dealership is Jan Zaborwski. I would reiterate that they have been both understanding and supportive of my position and, I believe, disappointed by Hyundai. I have no idea if the mechanic even owns a computer, much less the right to compel him to post on this forum, though I wish he would. Though I have a scanner, I do not know how to post the information on this forum. I would gladly do so if someone explains the process. However, the narrative text from the mechanic (compiled over a three week period) at the bottom of the work order reads as follows (complete with typos - the original was all caps):

13081 Imcorrect pressures to brakes wty 5.0 system visual inspection of system, no fault noted, road test - power braking caused right rear wheel to lock up-vehicle slids into right turn, no codes in system, current data revealed left rear brake not stopping wheel rotation under braking equal to other wheels, replaced left rear brake caliper assy, road test-vehicle stops straight under normal and non anti-lock braking, under anti-lock conditions wheels still locked and slid in right turn, advised by mac to replace abs unit again, replaced unit, road test brakes still lock up under anti-lock and normal wet road stops, disabled abs system-car stopped better without anti-lock system, retest abs system, pressure test at wheels-left rear and right rear not equal-left front and right front not equal, checked lines for restrictions none found, checked line routing, lines not connected to abs unit correctly, rerouted lines connected correct, bled system, road test-vehicle stops straight under anti-lock and normal stops tech line was contacted case #81299, No help

I believe the Mac referred to in the above narrative is the regional service rep, Mac McNeil. Other than the above narrative the work order also lists the following parts/processes that were replaced or performed: 58910R00 Hydraulic unit [non-permissible content removed] - abs re 2463 WH96, 58910RPO hydraulic unit (abs) add scan tool operation 2463 WH96, 58920 ATT additional time for diagnosis 2463 WH96, 1 58920-39A20 abs assy, 58310R00 rear brake assy (one side) RE 2463 WH96, 1 58310-38A10 caliper ki, 3 NPNbrakefd brake fld

Also, during the weeks of testing the car, Mr. Feezor and Mr. Griffin both pointed out the various skid marks all over their parking lot left by my car. Mr. Griffin also informed me that during one test on a public roadway the car slid completely sideways in the road.

Years ago I worked my way through college as a mechanic working on Honda motorcycles. I started when I was 16. I too have been under a a hood or two before computers made things so complicated (oddly enough now I am a systems analyst). Having walked in his shoes, and to answer a question you are probably asking yourself, I believe that the mechanic is very competent. I know that he has many years of experience and I would also reiterate that he found the problem himself. Despite their efforts, Hyundai was of little help. That is not another slam, just the truth.

Hyundaima and everyone else out there, I am not trying to be contrary or deliberately inflame any of you happy with your Hyundai products. As my car was dangerous and could have easily cost me my life, I am glad to hear that my writings have compelled some of you out there to test your brakes. I am also glad to hear that the problem with my car was perhaps an isolated problem. I know that this forum is full of people who love their Hyundai products as I once did myself. Obviously some of you out there even make a living off of Hyundai. I do sincerely appreciate your interest in my problem. If things I have posted don't make sense to you, please know that I am at least truthfully passing on what I have experienced first hand or what I have been told by the dealership or representatives of Hyundai. I assure everyone out there that I have been truthful to the best of my abilities. The stress this has placed upon me over these past four months has been great but I cannot just walk away from this issue without fighting back. $25,000 is a lot of money to me. Again, I am not trying to insult the Hyundai lovers on this forum, just inject a bit of reality from the other perspective.
    Hello,

First of all to sobright1, you have taken me for someone else that posted his sad story on this post. I do remember reading about the other sad story of a wreck like yours. I am the one that has had a series of six or seven problems in a row in the last four months, including the current AIRBAG-light-still-on problem. I was concerned more about it after reading your experience. The light is still on starting last week. I wonder if I have to take it to service with fear that they just set the light off as done on yours. It goes along with wind noise problem, still pending. I am still racking my brains if I want to take it to service.

As I explained a couple of times, mine has been in the shop for various problems for total of about one month since I bought it on 9/9/01. The paint problems and the bad alternator were the major two problems. The other four or five problems could be considered minor, but definitely aggravating. Now whenever I drive mine, I just feel afraid what else could go wrong. That is why I was asking in my last post if I have to expect one problem after another assuming that mine is A PERFECT LEMON.

When it comes to Hyundai's customer service, it has been pretty good in my cases so far. I have written two letters to VP of Sales with one copy of the second letter to VP of Service. About two weeks after I wrote the first letter, a lady named Marty who I believe a service customer coordinator at Hyundai headquaters called me, and regional service manager called me too to take care immediate care of the paint problem which eventually has not been fixed completely. About the same time after I wrote the second letter, the same regional service manager called me concerning the same paint problem. So it seems that quality of service may all depend on regional service managers.

No matter how good their services have been so far, I am getting impatient with all those major and minor problems that I have had in mere four months. I wonder how many more problems I should expect. It still run smooth though even if the pesky annoying wind noise and AIRBAG light problems are still on me.
    The ABS module on your car is called HECU(Hydraulic and Electronic Control Unit). Hydraulic unit and ECU are integrated into one module. Sobright, guess who misrouted the brake lines.
    I again apologize Lirex, I apparently confused you with a post of a few months back with a similar name. It is also encouraging that Hyundai responded to your letters in a positive way. Perhaps you are right about some regions being more responsive than others. It seems that sending a letter is also perhaps the best way to communicate with them. However, if you are already frustrated at delays in repairs and your car is in the shop, you should be able to call Hyundai's toll free customer service number and not instead have to experience more delays waiting on the mail service to deliver your concerns. My experience with the customer service group that I contacted via phone has been that they are no more responsive than Hyundai's airbags.

Lirex, get the airbag light checked. After the wreck, I openly wondered earlier if it was just turned off by the dealer. I now doubt it. I believe the independent inspector would have caught this problem after the wreck had it just been disconnected. With regard to reliability I can only make a prediction, though admittedly not necessarily scientific, just a gut feeling - some of which is based on reading these post and others from the past months. I believe that the problems with air noise from the weather striping are going to plague all of these cars. XG owners are going to have to either get use to the noise or keep the cars in the shop constantly for repairs. I also believe that Hyundai has problems with their airbag system. There is an engineering problem somewhere and I believe others will experience problems similar to my own. With regard to the dash light coming on, obviously you already are experiencing problems similar to mine. Somewhere between the drive by wire accelerator system and the transmission system there appears to be something amiss Others have posted questions about a shudder or slip between gear shifts. My XG did so on occasion between second and third gears. There have also been a few posts on this forum or others, though not many, like yours Lirex complaining about paint problems. To be fair, I experienced no such problems. Additionally, for the sake of fairness, I believe that the problems with my brakes were perhaps isolated to my particular car or perhaps a few others.

Hyundaima, your message was not completely clear. I am guessing that the last sentence was a rhetorical question and not a statement. Are you attempting to suggest that Covington Pike Hyundai miss-installed the ABS/traction control module? Given that the car has not been in my own garage in months, I am at the mercy of the dealer's service department to keep me informed as to the progress on my car. However, even had the dealership made this error, something that I consider improbable, this would not explain the complete failure of the anti-lock brake system leading up to my wreck. When I saw the difference between my XG and a new one I was stunned at the extreme difference in stopping power. Additionally, some time prior to my wreck I noticed, quite by accident, that if you stopped the car at a stoplight with your foot on the brake, if you continued to apply more pressure to the brake pedal you could push the brake pedal all the way to the floor and, in fact, could tap the back of the brake pedal on the floor. Given that the brakes had always had a firm pedal when stopping, I did not know that there was a problem. When I got the car back after the wreck I had actually already asked the dealership to check out this problem. It was after I left the dealership (actually as I drove from the dealership back to work) that it went into the second skid that scared me into parking the car until it stopped raining (which was the only time that the brake problem was evident) so that I could eventually take it in for service.

What can I say Hyundaima, in the beginning I was not completely satisfied with the weather stripping problems problems with this dealer. However, I have been very impressed with the knowledge and thoroughness of Joe Griffin, the mechanic working on my car. I was very earnest when I told you I appreciated your interest in my car's problems. However, without being mean spirited toward you, it certainly seems that you are so enamored with Hyundai that you cannot accept even the possibility that they might have made a mistake at the factory and would instead prefer to second guess the mechanic from perhaps hundreds of miles away and without having examined the car yourself. One thing is for sure, the brake system nearly killed me and I sure as hell didn't build it nor attempt to repair it.
    last time I checked they had at least a handful(?) of XG's there, one of which I rented for a week.

It had about 10K miles on it.
    I drove it up to Boston and Montreal and back and the car was flawless. I drove it thru the rain as well.
    I drove it extra hard becuase I am very interested in purchasing an XG. The transmission and the engine seemed bulletproof. And boy did I drive it hard... Not a glitch.

The car's thick glass and well insulated cabin really made for a quiet and near serene ride. As quiet as any other $30-40,000(or more) car that I've been in.

And the suspension geometry was set up such that the car was very stable and didn't dive and squat much at all during braking or accelerating.
    And the handling was really there for a front wheel drive car. And on the freeway, the steering seemed to have a strong on-center feel and felt that the tires were gripping the road even when going straight. None of the mushyness in the steering like some other more expensive cars.

With Hyundai producing cars like this, I can't see myself spending more than $40,000 for a car that is basically equal to the XG. I'd rather invest the rest. And the impressions I got were based on the XG300 and not XG with the bigger engine. I have heard many good things about it too. A very relaxed and undertaxed 3.5l to boot with the XG should make for quite a ride.

Frankly, people driving Mercedes doesn't make me jealous one bit(not that anyone would but). I know it's as good of a car for less than half the price.

I will get into a Mercedes when I am ready to get into an S-class or at least an E-class. Those little C-class Benzes aren't really Benzes to me.

I mean, Mercedes are fine automobiles but over $35K for a puny C240(2.6litre V6)? That's pushing it a little.

If Hyundai were able to equip it with Xenons like they do in other markets including Korea that would make it hard to resist.
  • bwiabwia Member Posts: 2,913
    matsumo:

Very good review, but I think you were describing the wrong car. Everything you said about the XG300 is a more apt description for the Avalon, Toyota's flagship sedan. Test drive the Avalon before commiting to the XG.
    Hello,

I started feeling that I became a big time complainer but can't help it since I had more than six different problems.
    I have had the same shudder problem that I felt occasionally for a long time. It seems that it happens in low gears. I also have had the same cruise control problem as some posters complained on this post. I just did not mention them simply because at least they work even if they do in weird way.
    As sobright1, I bought mine with great satisfaction. That is why I always was busy commending the XG trying to contribute a little in turning Hyundai's image around to a better one. Of course, I did not want people around me to think that I am driving a car that has been the leader of poor quality based on the past that they have been holding for the last decade. Well, I am afraid that I might be just another one that should turn against Hyundai and join the anti-Hyundai group. Probably, one or more problem will be good enough to turn me against Hyundai no matter what that problem might be. As bad luck would have it, I have been fed up.
    Should I just take mine to service to have the airbag light and wind noise checked or should I wait for the next one and go for all at once? But for the wind noise and red airbag light greeting me every second, it still runs as smooth as it used to. Thank you for sharing.
  • dougndodougndo Member Posts: 136
    There's not much worse in a consumer's life than to have one's hope, pride, and investment ruined by a bad product or bad product experience. I don't drive an XG300/350, but I do drive a Tiburon and Sonata GLS Leather, both 2001s. These cars have been phenomenal so far, with 15k and 9k respectively on their odometers. So, I consider myself to have had a really positive experience.

When I read the reports of disappointment and frustration here on the XG board, I know how bitter the experience must be for the owners, not just because of the possible danger but also because of the impact on hope, pride, and investment. When we buy something new, something that we are proud to have, something we spent a lot of money on (and $23k+ is STILL a lot of money to me), we have a hope that we made a wise investment, that we will be served well, and that others will see that we made a smart choice. If our experience turns ugly, as it has for some, then we feel cheated, deceived, and trapped. It's not a nice place to be.

I had this kind of experience a little over a decade ago with a Chrysler product($21k+), a car I really liked a lot but which constantly disappointed me and several times put me in danger. No matter how many times I took it in for service and diagnosis, I was always disappointed with the result, and the reps were terrible. I couldn't get out of it without losing my shirt, no matter what I did, and each day I was reminded of how great it looked and performed when it was operating well and how disappointing it was because I could never trust it.

I had great luck with Chrysler products before that, and I've owned several since then with great luck. But that car...

So, do I have a point? First, it's that I feel quite badly for those who are suffering through an awful experience with their XGs. I know how rotten that can be. Second, it's that one bad car (or dealer or company rep) can make the whole line seem bad, but it's probably not. Third, you can still have a positive experience with a car line after having a bad one. Fourth, that all companies make bad cars from time to time (or the dealers/mechanics/repair shops make them into bad cars). Finally, it's that many people can have a good experience with a car or car company, but that doesn't mean that everyone will, and sometimes companies can really screw up a customer's hope, pride, and investment without meaning to, just because they don't do a good job of listening and responding to a customer's needs. And sometimes employees are just plain incompetent.

The bottom line here is that Hyundai needs to do better to make sure these customers' hope, pride, and investment is restored.
    "After nearly three weeks the mechanic discovered that on the six brake lines entering into the traction control module, only two were installed into the correct orifice."
    -------------------------------------------------------------------------
    I'm still not sure if it's you who made up this traction control module bunk to slander Hyundai or is it something the mechanic came up with to cover his botched job? The only way I can find out is by having a little Q&A session here with the mechanic.
    For whatever it is worth, the use of the word "Traction Control Module" instead of ABS system was my fault. Not being a Hyundai mechanic all I can do is report what has been said to me to the best of my abilities. When the car was wrecked the Traction Control light on the dash was on. After the body shop made the necessary repairs they took the car to the dealership to diagnose what was causing the light to remain on. I was told by the body shop that they replaced the "Traction Control" module under warranty. Excuse me, but that was their exact words. Not knowing any better, I simply repeated what they said, and inadvertently did so even after you apparently corrected me when speaking of this unit. I didn't know that there was going to be a vocabulary test. From what you have told me this is all one unit, apparently the ABS unit. Again, I have no car to inspect so I will take your word for it. Webster defines slander as the utterance of false statements. Just to correct you, (it's my turn) had I done so on this forum it would be liable, not slander, as my words were written not spoken. However, I hardly think an honest mistake of transposing the words Traction Control module instead of ABS module is liable. For those offended, consider this an apology and a retraction. Happy? I also stand by all of my other statements as to what happened to me and my car and have the service records to prove it. Obviously you are not impressed with the mechanic either so I will let him know he is being second guessed by a phantom exert. I doubt that he will care.
    I simply don't understand why some people even think that posting bad experience is to slander the car manufacturer. I do not have time to make up a story just to slander Hyundai. Maybe some people who has nothing but time and twirling fingers might do. Please do not say something like that but remember that sobright1 and I bought the XG with great satisfaction. Sobright1 said that the accident possibly caused by possible defect(s) in some of the safety functions turned him against the XG, but that he still like the XG in all the other respect. In my case, I also still like its driving comfort and other amenities except that more than six or seven problems in a row started turning me against Hyundai's quality that had improved significantly over the past several years since everybody in the street thought Hyundai was the symbol of poor quality with notorious Excel.

Well, let's help one another by sharing ideas. Sobright1 and I are the victims of chosen few lemons (?). As someone pointed, we have been feeling miserable, started having long faces. You cannot say that we made up some story to slander Hyundai just because you have never had any problems. Thank you for sharing.
  • csandstecsandste Member Posts: 1,866
    Toyota-philes who personally attack anyone reporting sludge on the Edmunds boards or elsewhere. Same here. I have an Elantra and am extremely happy with it. I have no reason however to doubt the bad experiences of the two posters concerning their XG300's. If the problem becomes widespread (like sludge in the Sienna) and is reported all over the place, I'll take it as a definite strike against Hyundai. As it is now, the similarities to the Elantra's crash testing-- late deploying air bags-- is troubling.
  • acco20acco20 Member Posts: 211
    Hyundaima, I can't decide from your comments if you are connected with Hyundai or not. It sure sounds as if you might be. Anyway as an outsider looking in, I think some of your posts have been less than kind. If you are trying to help, and it seems you may be able to, why don't you re-read post #884. It has the name of the dealer, the city, the name of the service director, the mechanic,the general manager, and the service rep. If Sobright1 doesn't mind a simple phone call will answer ,at least some, of your questions. Just a thought. Sobright1, sorry about your problems and I hope it all works out for you.
    Have you figured out how to scan documnets and post them on the web?
    I do appreciate all of you who have been understanding and empathetic with the problems I have had with my car. Certainly I would prefer that this forum get back to honest discussion of the plusses and minuses of XG ownership.

I believe that the XG, should it prove reliable (that is, if my car is the exception and not the rule) could represent the most exceptional value of any car in its class. I actually looked at everything else including expensive (to me anyway) Mercedes and BMW's. I also shopped the upper end of the Japanese market too, looking at Lexus and Accura. I am not wealthy but being frugal allows me the choice to spend my money on what I want. Finally, I went back and forth between the Avalon, the Highlander and the XG. I finally decided on the Hyundai because it was more comfortable, cheaper, and I thought more stylish. Also, I resent that Toyota makes you pay extra for side airbags which I think should be standard equipment (as they are on the XG). Believe me, I caught hell from nearly everyone about buying a HYUNDAI. The guys at work really reamed me. I am a prolific reader and I had done a lot of research. I take all of the major car magazines as well as Consumer Reports and several other similar magazines. Like Csandste's earlier post mentioned I too read about alleged "sludging" on some Toyota V6 engines as well as weather strip problems on some Avalons, transmissions problems on Mitsubishi's, etc. I also read the posts from those indignant that anyone should make such a, they felt false, claim about their beloved Toyotas. No manufacturer is unscathed by some problems. At the time of my purchase I could tell you of problems with nearly every make. I knew I was gambling when I bought a Hyundai but decided to give the car a chance. I continued to enjoy the car right up until the time that it let me down.

I have pointed out a few weaknesses with the car, rapid depreciation (about as bad as it gets) and also with the design or build that I don't believe are unique to my car, particularly weather stripping and shifting problems. I have even seen a service bulletin that might explain the jerky acceleration that I personally experienced, off and on. I admit that it is just a gut feeling on my part, and not scientific at all, but I don't think my airbag problem will prove unique to my car. Also, from these posts, some XG owners apparently have paint problems. These problems may not affect all XG's but for those of us who are affected, these problems are not small problems and should demand Hyundai's immediate attention, not their denial or neglect.

Whatever problems Hyundai may or may not have with their cars, my experience is that the cars are far better than the customer support you can expect from Hyundai. From these months of extreme stress over this whole situation, by far the most disappointing aspect has not been the mechanical failure of the car, but the absolutely abysmal, pathetic, often deceptive, and shameful support I have received from Corporate Hyundai. If Hyundai tells a person that someone will call him back, someone should do so. Even better, put the damn guy on the phone right then. If a Hyundai representative tells a person that he is recommending that the person's car should be replaced and that the person should hear something the next day, the person should not be left out in the cold for over a month, without one word from Hyundai, only to be told that the deal is off with no explanation, just a rejection of the deal.

Conversely, to be completely fair, the people who have been attempting to help me at the dealership, Covington Pike Hyundai, have been exceptional. I raised hell, with copious profanity, with them and they were professional when I certainly was not. In retrospect, I can only blame them for ordering the wrong parts a couple of times (apparently a misprint in the parts book) an letting a rather novice mechanic install the weather stripping incorrectly, twice. However, from the moment the real trouble started they and have been very attentive and put their best mechanic (who does not deserve undue criticism for which he cannot defend himself) on my car. To be fair, the mechanic found the brake problem on his own, a problem apparently witnessed by others, after two weeks (not three). Most of the delay was spent asking, then waiting, on Hyundai's corporate/regional support personnel for suggestions to solve the brake problem.

I bought the car in good faith. I believe the manager of the dealership and his service personnel have sold and serviced the car in good faith. I even believe that Hyundai's regional rep attempted to act in good faith when he examined the car, read all of the data, and offered to give me a replacement car. Only corporate Hyundai has failed to act in good faith.

As of this writing I have asked, from above the dealership level, that Hyundai re-examine their recent decision not to replace the vehicle. If not, I reserve the right to use lawyers, the internet, the newspaper, local TV, national magazines, or any other forum to simply point out truthfully what happened to me and the reasons why people should avoid the purchase of any Hyundai product.

No, I do not know how to post scanned documents on this forum, nor do I see a need to. If I could do so I would be most interested in posting pictures of the car showing it just as it appeared at the accident scene after it struck the telephone pole. I have typed the service information exactly as it appeared on the relevant service document. The document also contains personal information that does not belong on the web. If you continue to be interested, please feel free to call the dealership and speak to the mechanic who is aware of your posts. Because of the potential for litigation, I understand he is unable to respond on this forum.
    Did I ask you to upload pictures on this web site?? We don't have that privilege here. Other forum members' pictures you see on your computer were downloaded to your computer from OTHER sites on the Web. I can't believe a systems analyst doesn't have such a basic understanding of WWW. Little kids as young as 9 build web pages these days for Christ's sake.

Anyway, I noticed you vented a little about your car on the Hyundai Connection site XG board. I'm curious, why are you not taking advantage of the advocacy forum? It doesn't cost any money.

Here's another challenge:
    Send your complaint about "Corporate Hyundai" thumbing down the "deal" struck between you and the "factory rep." to the Hyundai advocate. It sounds far-fetched to me, but I'm sure the guy will forward it to his contact at Hyundai Motor America. If HMA responds, he'll post it on the forum. If you want to remain anonymous, just ask him to remove your name and address from the e-mail messages.
  • newxgnewxg Member Posts: 34
    >>Did I ask you to upload pictures on this web site?? We don't have that privilege here. Other forum members' pictures you see on your computer were downloaded to your computer from OTHER sites on the Web. I can't believe a systems analyst doesn't have such a basic understanding of WWW. Little kids as young as 9 build web pages these days for Christ's sake.<<

You're being petty here and that is only hurting your credibility with other readers of this forum.

I've had a good XG300 experience with only minor problems (including the windnoise problem) and no rattles, but that does not in any way invalidate what sobright is saying and I certaintly don't feel a need to question his account of his experience.

XG300 Base
    20,000 miles