Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Saab 9-5 Sedan

Comments

• lcp1lcp1 Member Posts: 14
    In statistics there is a axiom called"the lie of the small number"
    It has to do with drawing firm conclusions based on a statistically insignificant sample.Kind of like branding all cars built by ANY manufacturer as being lemons based on your singular ownership experience.I suggest you reference the slightly larger data bases and
    recommendations made by Consumer Reports,J.D.Powers and Edmunds regarding Saab products.
  • tamitami Member Posts: 4
    I'm not really into cars. I'm not the type to read Car & Driver magazine or know all the stats about horsepower. But I did a bunch of research before selecting my Saab 9-5 V6 back in 2000 -- I wanted a really safe car that was also a little different from all the other sedans out there. Well, I was in practically a head-on collision a few weeks ago and, after sitting stunned in the puffy softness of the airbag for a few moments, opened up the door and walked out of the car with one small scratch on my knee and a bruise on my foot, knee, and wrist. The police, EMTs, and tow truck driver were all in awe that I could walk away from such a bad accident with so few injuries. I truly believe that the force of the Almighty was with me, AND the superior protection of the Saab saved me. I need a new car now . . . guess what I'm going to buy? Oh by the way, although the hood and engine are destroyed, the inside cabin is still pristine, and if you looked at the remaining 3/4 of the vehicle from the windshield on back, you would not even know it was in an accident.
    What do y'all think about the 01 and later 9-5s? Why are there so many Linears for sale? And Arcs and Aeros so hard to find? Is there a problem with the Linears?
    Thanks in advance for your suggestions,
    Tami.
  • patpat Member Posts: 10,421
    Wow, Tami - glad all you lost was your vehicle. Just curious, the airbag didn't hurt you?
  • wilcowilco Member Posts: 5
    Hi Tami-

A used Saab is an excellent value because of their rapid depreciation. I recommend a 2002 or later (I own a 2003 Linear) because of the redesign that year - not many new features but many refinements. There may be fewer Arc's and Aero's on the used car market just because of the lower volumes of those vehicles sold.

The 4-cyl Linear has plenty of power on the freeway (where the turbo is quick to spool up), but you'll notice a small difference in around town driving compared to your previous SE.

Google 'saab bulletin' for some message boards that have classifieds.

Also, FYI, no major redesign until 2007 model year on the 9-5.
  • cwmozartcwmozart Member Posts: 13
    About (your remarks for) future re-design for the 9-5: Any chance it will retain its great engineering details and distinct Swedishness? What does everyone think? The new little 9-3 has really taken off around here (D.C.), but it seems less and less a real Saab. Ugh.
    Thanks Pat and Wilco for your comments. Nope, the airbag didn't hurt at all, it was like a fluffy pillow. There was a little white dust on my clothing but no other harm from the airbag.
  • mlebauermlebauer Member Posts: 1
    Has anyone seen this problem?

I just got a 2001 9-5. The AC works intermittantly. The problem seems to be connected to the outside temperature shown on the SID information display module. When starting the car, it shows ---, or no reading. At that time the climate control / AC works fine. After a while, the temperature reading goes to -40degF, or sometimes another reading but always less then -20degF. At that point, the AC switches to heat and the discharge to the floor vents. That is normal if the car thinks it's that cold.

Any idea where the fault may lie? With a temperature sensor? With the SID?
    Thanks for helping
  • chalkpiechalkpie Member Posts: 21
    I just visited my local Saab dealership today. They have a "new" 2004 9-5 Arc that has roughly 5000 miles on it (was a dealer's car). It is an auto with the premium package. Asking price is $28,004 - original sticker was $37,950. The drop in price almost seems too large - does this seem abnormal? Or maybe they are asking too much for a demo with that amount of miles? Just wanted some input on this, thanks. Hypothetically this would be my first Saab :)
    seems a bit odd. An '03 at my local dealer with 13,000 miles was marked at 28,750 so you would think that an '04 with so few miles would be substantially more.. check here on edmunds, on kelly blue book (kbb.com) and nada.com for comparable prices. Good luck!
    P.S. Just bought a '01 SE :)
  • ponytrekkerponytrekker Member Posts: 310
    Price looks high. Checking TMV and deducting cash available gets you to around $29k brand new.
  • r34r34 Member Posts: 178
    Saab has a lot of manufacturer to dealer incentives. I heard there is a $6500 incentive for 9-5 Aero sedan ($7000 for aero wagon) until the end of this month so I expect the Arc has similar incentive.
  • aerodriveraerodriver Member Posts: 12
    I agree with ponytrekker: the price is, if anything, slightly high. My own experience suggests that's the case. My 9-5 Aero had 6,900 dealer demo miles and I bought it for $27,900 (which I thought was a bargain last September). As it turned out, I bought right around Edmund's TMV price.
  • carrotcarrot Member Posts: 3
    I got a lemon 2003 93-Linear. It was bought in Sept 2003 and has been to the shop for 15+ times. I am in the process finalizing the refunding deal. I originally wanted to get a new SAAB (the replacement option) but am seriously looking into the repurchase option (with SAAB buying back my lemon car) after reviewing consumer feedback from different websites. I have been trying to find someone who could share simliar experience with. SAAB has been irreponsive to my voice mail. I spoke with the legal dept couple times beginning about 1 month ago. They informed me that my car would be qualified for repurchase or replacement under the lemon law. Could you share with us your "lemon" experience? Did SAAB deduct the mileage from your car (i.e., make you pay for what you have driven) before refunding your money? How long did the whole process take? Did you hire a lawyer? Any advice would be deeply appreciated. Thank you and congrat on your new car!
    How was your car treated in the 10 months you've had it? What sort of things was it in the shop for? Fair is fair; let us know. What are the details? If this is about burned-out bulbs (common wuss complaint in car chatrooms) then don't bother us.
    I have a few questions for you Saab experts:

1) I am looking at a "new" (100 miles on the odometer) leftover 2003 9-5 Aero loaded to the hilt (still has plastic on the seats, etc.) that is selling for $29,900. According to Edmunds, the TMV for this car with the exact options is as follows: the trade-in value is $26,291, the private party value is $28,099, and the dealer retail is $31,309. It is a graphite-green metallic color, which frankly is not all that hot, but may explain why this car never sold. What would be a fair (but very good deal of course) offer to make on this car? The dealer purchased this car from Saab so the warranty went into effect in January, so that must kept in mind. Is it outrageous to offer as low as say $24,500 for this car? I don't feel that is all that low considering the trade-in value is low $26k. What do you think?

2) Why (does it seem to me, at least) do Saabs have a large depreciation value? It seems to me that the cars value go down pretty quickly.

Thanks for your help.

Frank
    Saabs depreciate quickly because of their limited appeal to American car buyers, who often go for the lowest common denominator (like the current SUV trend). Saabs are for individualists, who understand what the true value is. They have some design quirks, and are indeed too radical for many mindsets. The front grill shape, the headlamps, the console-mounted ignition, and the fact that Volvo has long held the upper hand in cars of Swedish origin. Let's face it, Americans like quality in their cars and will pay for it, but it can't look that unusual. Saab could have addressed a lot of problems by advertising a lot more in recent years. A BMW is sold because it may announce “I've made it,” but it doesn't say “I'm interesting.” Saabs aren't for sheeple.
  • georgekgeorgek Member Posts: 50
    Does anyone know when the current 9-5 will be replaced? An eight year old design isvery long in the tooth these days.I've always liked SAABs, but the curent 9-5 is rough and noisy to my ears.
    Thanks for your answer, Mozart. Any relation, BTW? :)

It makes sense what you are saying.
  • ffb13ffb13 Member Posts: 181
    it varies from state to state.
    in conn. i know a man who had the yamaha fjr1300 bought back under the lemon law.(motorcycle)
    i think if they cannot fix a problem after 3 tries you qualify.--in conn.
    but check your state.
    Brand new (leftover). Auto with all of the options. Ugly green. I offered them 24,200 and they said "ehhh...nope."

What is a fair price for this car?

29k seems high for that car.
    I just re-read your consideration of the 03 car. If you gave the dealer a check for 30K or more, it would depreciate to the lower twenties in a couple of months. Ugh! The depreciation is the one thing that certainly bothers all owners. I paid almost 23K for an 01 in PRISTINE shape with low miles. The dealer put on new tires, new exhaust, and did the 30K checkup. But the county I live in has just assessed its value as around $15,500. So, I guess I just paid the dealer a few grand to dress it up, inspect and certify it. I still maintain it's a better car at 23K than a comparable used BMW 330 at $31-32K.
  • buddhabmanbuddhabman Member Posts: 252
    KB says 34k+ retail but trade in is 26+. 30K would be about right. Still a nice car at 28-30K.
    It's a done deal.

Got it for $27,500 after a lot of haggling back and forth. Will pick it up on Monday. I haven't been this excited since...well...ever!

I am really looking forward to driving this car. I will be dumping my 1998 Eclipse GS-T on Monday - was a great first car for me but it is time to move on.

I'll keep everybody posted on my impressions after driving it for a while.
  • aerodriveraerodriver Member Posts: 12
    Congrats, Chalkpie! I had almost the exact same experience a year ago (loaded 2002 9-5 Aero dealer demo bought for 27,900). I think you will be thrilled with your purchase, as I have been. Put it on the Sport setting (auto trans.)when you merge onto the highway, and try hard to keep that stupid grin off your face!! This car has the kind of stealthy power that makes you feel fine even when you're driving slowly....
    Thanks a lot Aerodriver! Glad you also got a great deal.

Picked up the car last night and I am blown away. This car is incredible.

2003 9-5 Aero, graphite green, gray interior, sentronic auto, touring package...

I still honestly cannot believe that this car is actually mine yet, I still feel like I am on an extended test drive : )

Anyway, I will post more detailed impressions of my car when I have been driving it for a few days. My first impression though (after less than a day) is that I made the right choice. This car feels very natural to me already, and I am not only talking about the interior comfort but the handling, ride, etc.
  • ncvolncvol Member Posts: 196
    I think the depreciation is overrated because it is used in comparison to the MSRP, and Saabs routinely sell for well under MSRP. When you look at the value as a ratio of the actual selling price, it doesn't look so bad.
  • 03aero03aero Member Posts: 2
    have a 2003 9-5 Aero, I love the car aside from 1 annoying squeak that seems to be coming from the rear suspension. I wondered if anyone had experienced a similar squeak.
    I only have 1k so far on my Aero, but no squeaks....knock on wood.

When did this start happening?
  • 03aero03aero Member Posts: 2
    The car worked perfectly without a sound for about 9 months, then it developed the squeak. It only happen when I"m driving over choppy roads at city speeds. When I took it in to the dealer they were unable; to replicate it. Its not even noticeable some days though. I still enjoy the car despite the squeak.
    I also have an occasional squeak in my '01 9-5, but probably nothing to get in a twist over (tired rear suspension at 32K? Who knows?). On a related note, sometimes the front suspension groans during a tight turn, sometimes it doesn't (in parking lots, etc.) I don't expect continual perfection. The suspension isn't as sophisticated as it might have been, but just looking it this lovely car, parked out front, washed away the small issues.
  • tmactmac Member Posts: 6
    Generally I love the car. Handles like a dream, fast as all heck. Two small things, would appreciate comments or suggestions:

1/ Have 25k on the car, oxygen sensor has been replaced three times. Unusual?

2/ Lug nuts on wheels are totally rusted out. Think Saab would make good on these? Appearance issue.

Just fyi the car is the 3.0 V6. Wonder why they no longer make this engine? Problems?
  • rob999rob999 Member Posts: 233
    1. Three O2 sensors seems odd. I haven't had any trouble with my 2002.

2. There was some sort of recall on the lug nut thing - I don't remember specifically, though.

The V6 was just one more engine to keep in the lineup; now much simpler with just the basic I4 with different turbos and ECUs. The V6 was not a bad engine, but many speculate it was just offered for marketing purposes.
  • cerebuscerebus Member Posts: 5
    I currently drive a Volvo, and am looking to replace the car with something new. I thought that I'd naturally end up with another Volvo but decided to visit the local Saab dealership (although I've always found Saab pricing to be extremely high). I was impressed with a 9-5 Arc and upon leaving the dealership, told that I could get any remaining 2004 Saab at $7,000 off MSRP ... sounds good to me. After discussing this, all my friends are saying not to buy a Saab because repairs and parts are hugely expensive. How true is this compared to other luxury\near-luxury brands?
    The first year (1999) 9-5 had lots of electrical problems and recalls relating to the ECU and throttle body. However, these were addressed in subsequent years and right now most of the consumer organizations (CR, Kiplinger) rate the 9-5 among the highest of all the European brands for reliability and good repair records. We've put 36,000 miles on our 2002 model without any problems. The car is truly a delight to drive.

Regarding Saab pricing - pay no attention to sticker prices. In the last 3 years since I started tracking, there have ALWAYS been incentives on the 9-5 from a low of $3,000 to a high of $7,000 depending on the specific model. Incentives usually spike high in August and September as Saab is trying to clear out the old model year cars. So figure out the invoice, subtract the incentive and you have a better target amount for the real sales price.
  • justinjustin Member Posts: 1,918
    i am looking at two Saabs 9-5's. both 2001 models. one 4 cylinder automatic with 39k and one SE V6 with 41k miles. i like the SE V6 better looks-wise.

i can't get a good answer from anyone (including various Swedish car shops) about which car will be more reliable. i hear the V6 was used in the Catera - that car couldn't have been less reliable from what i understand. does that translate to Saab 9-5?

also, the V6 has service records from the dealer, but it only was maintained at 10k intervals. replaced a battery and a fuse. is 10k stretching it on a turbo engine? i also understand the V6 has a timing belt that needs replacing at 60k, and that even though it is out of warranty at that point, GM replaces it under a warranty? anyone confirm that? and what are Ignition Cassette Modules? i hear the 4 cylinder has ONE, and the 6 has TWO. i understand they can go bad.

thanks for any advice you have. which would YOU buy? the 4 or the 6? both automatics.

THANKS! :)
  • stefan_belgiumstefan_belgium Member Posts: 17
    An extensive survey done here in Belgium by the consumer association shows that Volvo is the most expensive in repairs. But Saab is close second !
    However, the survey also showed that both Volvos and Saabs parts had the highest longevity of any cars including Toyota, Lexus or Mercedes.
    IOW, brakes pads, exhausts, etc last longer.
    The survey also showed that Saabs generally break down less often than Volvos.
    Saab was ranked the 3rd most reliable brand after Toyota and Honda.
  • stefan_belgiumstefan_belgium Member Posts: 17
    The answer is very simple: the 4 is a much better engine.
    More reliable, better design/engineering, better gas mileage and more power.
    The 6 is GM Europe product engineered at a time when GM Europe was poorly managed, and was consistently blamed for a general lack of quality.
    The inline 4 is a 100% Saab engine, a proven design know for its bulletproof quality and longevity.
    Ignition cassette can go bad, buy a spare one.
    Most ignition cassette last well over 100K , but occasionally, some give up much earlier.
    Very easy to replace, a DIY job.
    Make sure you only use properly gapped NGK sparks plugs, replace the sparks plugs often to keep you ignition cassette from failing.
    thanks! so, what IS an ignition cassette? what does it do? where does it go? under the hood? if it fails while you are driving, does the car leave you stranded?

thanks very much!
    The Direct Ignition cassette sits on the top of the engine and looks like a flat plate with the words "Direct Ignition" in raised letters. This unit contains ignition coils for each spark plug and replaces the conventional distributor. While many current vehicles use separate ignition coils for each spark plug, the Saab unit has them connected in a one-piece "cassette".

The DI is easy to remove when replacing plugs - simply remove 4 torx screws and unclip the low-voltage wire lead. Grab each end of the DI with the "handles", give it a gentle pull and the whole unit is out.

A DI is fairly reliable but can fail on occasion. Probably no worse than other makes (ask a VW owner about failed coil packs). The conventional distributor on my old Passat failed at 60K and left me stranded on the highway, too.

We've had NO problems with our DI in 36K miles with our 9-5 Wagon. Many have reported (on another BB) well over 100K with no problems. One consideration is to keep your plugs properly gapped, as too wide a gap causes resistance/heat buildup in the DI which could lead to failure. I replace/gap my plugs every 10K miles, which is overkill, but as the cost of a set of NGK plugs is less than $8, I figure it's cheap insurance.
    thanks! so, this is helping me. i will narrow my search to 4 cylinder models. in the 2001 9-5, it appears their are two 4 cylinders. both the same, with different turbo's i am guessing? also, if the DI dies, does it leave you stranded like my VW coil issues did?

i am looking at the "lower" models. the "aero" kits are a little too intense looking for me.

i also like the wagons, though they aren't too easy to find.

so, with the 4 cylinder, in the 2001 model year, what else do i look out for? automatic transmission is solid?

THANKS! i am seeing pricing from mid $16s for models with 41k miles, up to mid $20s for models with 30k miles. all dealer pricing.
    Ahhh - so you know firsthand about VW coil packs!!! ;>(

Yes, if a DI fails the car will not run. When you take delivery of your car, put in a new set of plugs with the proper gap and you should be fine, given the general good reliability of the DI system.

In 2001, the Linear 4 cyl has a Garrett turbo, the Aero has a Mitsubishi turbo. Each uses a different ECU.

The Saab 9-5 uses an Aisin-Warner auto trans, as do some Lexus models. It's perhaps one of the best in the market.

If you could swing the bucks, the 2002 models have a 5-speed A-W auto, improved suspension and more engine HP in both the Linear (185) and Aero (250).
    yes, all too familiar with VW. can't help it - i love VW. but gonna try a different Euro brand this time. i thought in 2001 the base turbo 9-5 was increased to 185. are you sure it was 2002?

good to know about the automatic.

thanks for the information. and for the quick responses! i might be in here again once i narrow down a specific car. :)
    I thought the HP increase came in 2002 but I could be wrong.
  • patpat Member Posts: 10,421
    about horsepower per model year and anything else can be found right here - check the blue Used Cars tab at the top.

The 2001 2.3t sedan has 185 hp increased from 170 in the 2000 edition.

http://www.edmunds.com/used/2001/saab/95/100001700/specs.html?tid- =edmunds.u.prices.leftsidenav..6.Saab*

:)
    The EPA highway MPG estimate for the 9-5 Linear Sportwagon is 28 MPG. However, I consistently get better highway mileage at the following rates:

55-60 MPH: 34-35 MPG
    70-75 MPH: 31-32 MPG
    80 MPH (with giant Yakima Spacecase on roof): 28

Do any of you have similar results?
    Maybe the gas usage computer on my 01 is a bit off, but I've never gotten more than 26 mpg doing about 75 on long drives. The car definitely gets mediocre mileage on the regular commute or around the burbs (21-24 mpg), and performs better on long hauls. I do not use the Sport function and am careful witrh the turbo. Someone a few weeks ago mentioned the rusting lugs. If you have the standard warranty, you can get free replacement of these (or so I'm told by the service writer at International Motors here in Northern Virginia). Otherwise the car is a delight and the spacious cabin is a great way to get through daily life.
  • stu15stu15 Member Posts: 9
    Anybody having cold start problems? I have an 03 Arc (V6) with 11K miles. Once a week it stumbles on cold start (ie car sits for 12 hours). Sometimes it stalls completely and other times it stumbles and almost stalls.
  • ffb13ffb13 Member Posts: 181
    i have to agree with the mpg listed by mpg.

my aero 95 2002 has 70,000 miles and on trips to florida i average 33 mpg ,but,my speeds are 85 to 90 with an average of 79 mph overall.

when driving at 55 i get 42 mpg without the a/c on.

overall mpg around town is 22 to 24.but it can drop to 19 if it is nyc.

holding 65 on a 5 hour trip to vermont from ct. i did 32 mpg going north and on the return at the same speed i got 34 mpg.more of a downhill ,i guess.
  • skday1skday1 Member Posts: 13
    I get 23 mpg in city driving (average mph 28 per computer over 8000 miles) with my 2002 Linear. I only got 19 when I first got it -- so excited, I guess!

I still love my car and have had no problems over the last 14,000 miles. (I bought used at 14,000 miles) I get a groan at low speed tight turns, too - which I just assume isn't a problem.

For my last oil change the dealer told me I needed new rotors and brake pads and new rear tires for $455 and $385 respectively. This seemed high so I thought I'd look for an independent Saab shop. Does this seem high to you? If so, does anyone have a recommendation for an independent Saab shop in the Boston area (I live in Roslindale). Thanks!