Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Saab 9-5 Sedan

1383940414244»

Comments

• urb1urb1 Member Posts: 2
    We own a 2005 9-5 with apprx 35K miles. The car runs great, but on multi-hour highway driving, the check engine light comes on. After a couple days, the light will go out by itself. It has done this half dozen times. By the time I have gotten to the dealer to have it checked, the light goes out and they tell me they cannot diagnose until it comes back on. Any ideas as to cause? Is the dealer's statement correct?

Thanks
  • crestonavecrestonave Member Posts: 209
    The response you got from the dealer doesn't make any sense to me. I'm not a mechanic, but my understanding of how these systems work is that when a "check engine" light goes on, a trouble code is stored in the computer, which the dealer (or anyone else who knows how to do it, actually) ought to be able to access with his diagnostic equipment. You might even want to poke around the internet a little and look for guidance on how to retrieve the code yourself. Some cars allow you to do that; I'm not sure Saab is one of them. Again, I'm not a mechanic, but my understanding is that "check engine" generally refers to emission system problems and not to major mechanical problems. Again, you should verify this with a dealer or other qualified mechanic. Hope this helps.
  • urb1urb1 Member Posts: 2
    I just drove my daughters 2005 9-5T sedan, and I feel some kind of click or knock in the steering wheel. Can feel it when idling at a stop and turn the wheel back and forth just a couple inches. Also can feel when steering around a curve, like getting off a highway exit. It does not feel 'right' to me, and I will be taking the car back to have it checked. Car only has 37K and is still under warranty...we'll see what kind of reply I get.
  • saaburbanitesaaburbanite Member Posts: 2
    Probably a faulty sensor giving a false reading. I have a 2003 9-5, and the same thing happened (though it stayed on long enough once for the dealer to diagnose). The solutions are 1) ignore it (bad idea, but cheap in the short run) and 2) replace the sensor (expensive, but the only way to be sure). It probably isn't urgent, but you should plan to replace it when you save the $. BTW, on a 2003, it is the sensor at pin 41.
  • ipcguyipcguy Member Posts: 10
    I'm very interested in buying a 9-5 as a car to use at my Florida home. It will not have a lot of driving and I'm wondering if getting a high mileage (100K) is OK as I don't want to tie up much cash in a car I'll only drive 3 months of the year. Your thoughts are appreciated. What are common problems I will likely encounter. I'm thinking a 2001 to 2003.
  • jscottkjscottk Member Posts: 13
    You've got your 120K maintenance, (in a few years I guess). A four cylinder will cost about $700-$800, a six around $1200.

I've owned two Saabs at this mileage and little things have gone but nothing extraordinary. A great mileage to buy into - a lot of money for the car.

Scott
    Thanks Scott. Did you mis-type and MEAN it'sa lot of car for the money or did you mean it the way it was written.
    right, sorry. certainly the saab is very well priced, (used).
  • tnels77tnels77 Member Posts: 1
    I recently purchased an '01 Saab 9-5 Sedan. I've had no problems with it, then this morning it failed to start. Everything else works fine, and there are no warning lights/signs/messages. It just fails to turn over. After about 10 minutes of pulling the key out and retrying, it finally started. I thought maybe it has something to do with my fuel flap, which just yesterday became bent accidentally while I was filling up, and was open when the car wasn't starting this morning.

Does anyone know anything about a possible fuel flap-starter connection? Has anyone had a similar problem? Your help is appreciated.

Thanks.
    I've been looking at Saab 9-5's for some tiime and have finally bought one for winter use in Florida. A few years ago I read a blog( somewhere) where the stock stereo could have a minor adjustment made to increase its performance significantly. an an experts out there assist?
    Thanks in advance.
    Sorry , the last sentence on my previous message should read--Can any experts help.
  • saabnut1saabnut1 Member Posts: 1
    I had a similar problem on my 99 Saab 9-5. The issue was, the drive belt tension pulley got locked up and it caused the drive belt to snap and shut down the engine. Your car may be having a symptom of this problem. I suggest you take it to a mechanic you can trust and ask them to specifically check the condition of the tension pulley. They may not able to tell the condition just looking at it, if that is the case, I would just have it replaced for your peace of mind. These things wear out eventually and cause you lots of headaches later.
    I have a '99 9-5 which has a rattling sound when the car is at idle in drive or reverse. Sounds fine when on the road. The dealer says it's caused by the wrong belt which bypasses a pulley. They want to replace it. Please advise.
    Can someone recommend a parts supplier online for 9-5 parts either used or new?
  • zooburgh33zooburgh33 Member Posts: 2
    I know this is a late response, but it may help others who experience this problem. It is actually quite simple. The problem you are experiencing has to do with the neutral safety switch that is located in front of the battery. The car is unable to sense if it is in park or in neutral, so it will not start. This switch will have to be replaced. The cost is around $175 dollars for the part and should take no more than an hour of labor. A Saab dealership will never find this problem, because they are there to make money, and will just waste your time, take your car to a reputable European car mechanic and tell him/her this problem, they will believe you, unlike the Saab dealership, and your car will start everytime after the replacement.
  • zooburgh33zooburgh33 Member Posts: 2
    A great place to start is www.saabnet.com, you will find almost everything you need there including parts suppliers. One of the best one-stop shops on the net is www.saabusaparts.com
    Thanks. this is helpful. I have seen the site but wasn't sure how relaible they are.
  • stevenb226stevenb226 Member Posts: 3
    Considering a used 9-5 Arc...had several 9000 that I liked but was always annoyed with the narrow width of seats and the rough idle (car seemed to rock at standstill)...several folks have suggested I consider the Arc because the seats are different (??? is this true) ...does the rough idle continue?

Any other input would be appreciated.
  • chuckwagon2chuckwagon2 Member Posts: 1
    Hello, the major engine failure light in my '02' 9-5 linear came on but there was no noticeable change in the engines..until today. the engine started to vibrate and not increase rpm in third gear. i let off the gas, dropped a gear and continued on with no more problems. when i got home i checked what a dummy owner can check, oil level, and noticed a whitish residue at the bottom (the oil level was fine). i'm currently about a 1,000 miles from the next scheduled oil change. Any ideas what might cause the residue?
  • crestonavecrestonave Member Posts: 209
    Possibly water. Could be a leak in the head gasket which is allowing water to mix with the oil. Oil of course will be on top of the water. I'm no expert but that's what it sounds like to me.
  • vzeeiborvzeeibor Member Posts: 9
    I'm thinking of buying this car with the following features. Is this a good deal? I keep reading about reliability issues with this car:

* 2003, Saab 9-5 Linear, ~76K miles, 4-door sedan
    * Black exterior / beige interior
    * 4 cylinder turbo engine
    * Avg. Mileage: 20 city / 29 highway
    * Automatic transmission with manual option
    * Harmon stereo with cd player
    * Always taken to dealer for regular maintenance
    * Aside from the rear bumper, the body is in very good shape
    * 2 minor accidents since I bought the car - damage was localized to the rear bumper.
    Cost: ~$6,765 (estimate based on Kelly Blue Book - good condition) and willing to discount for expense which should be incurred for immediate repairs. The most significant repairs are as follows:
    * New brake pads and rotors, rear brake disk: ~$800-$1,000
    * 3 new tires: ~$515
    Sales price: $5,250
  • captainunclecaptainuncle Member Posts: 3
    Depends - which part of the country does the car come from? Wouldn't recommend this if you get a lot of snow/wintery conditions. Also, I assume the mileage is mostly highway-based. Correct?
  • vzeeiborvzeeibor Member Posts: 9
    car is in NJ so there is some wintery/snow conditions. Most of the mileage is highway-based. What do you think?
  • lfolfo Member Posts: 24
    Can I just bemoan the fact that my 2002 9-5 Arc V6, which cost me 33k new, is worthless about now?

Maybe someone will tell me no worries, that I got good value out of it. I dunno. Right now I'm really pissy about it. Feeling like if I had a BMW or Lexus, my car would be worth far more, and enough more to easily make up the difference in the initial cost. I had a moderately hard-driven 151,000 miles on it and in the last two years I have probably put 2500 grand into it for mechanical repairs (e.g., new fuel pump and several other things) and new tires. Just last week the transmission had some sort of failure, which the dealer said could be close to a grand to fix (if it is the throttle) or it could be a major transmission issue costing far far more (aka scrap the car if that's the case). So I decided ok better get a new car either way. Offered at trade in just 1500 and 1200 (after talking them up). So essentially I got nothing back on the car. It still looks like a million dollars - Saab's design really looks current and sharp to date and with new tires it does not look 7 yrs old at all - but was worth less than some old Saturn. I might have done a few grand better on a private sale, but who would buy it with a transmission failure. Ugh.

I did love the car but this past week alot of that love is replaced with bitterness.
  • ponytrekkerponytrekker Member Posts: 310
    Don't worry:

GM dealers selling Saabs are still fiddling while Rome is burning. Most just can't deviate from "Let's rip everyone, get right to four squares" mode.

A few dealers have begun to discount these vehicles heavily. A few New England dealers advertised new 2008 9-5s for between $22.9 and 24.9k. While I have always liked the 9-5, though I never owned one, I became wary once the company set one foot in the grave. However, for that price, I started looking, though more locally.

First, I was surprised by how many Saab dealers were no longer Saab dealers. Surely that couldn't be a good sign. Second, wow, was I surprised by the take-it-or-leave-it attitude by the remaining dealers, seeking $29k for the last 2008 on the lot.

Well, now I know why GM has to beg for money.

Well, off to GM's competitors. Shame, nice car.
  • shack502shack502 Member Posts: 2
    Just purchased a 2006, 9-5 sedan..w / 25,000 on it for $14000.00...
    Comparing to all other vehicles I looked at, almost seems to good to be true for price vs. miledge..? Is this a decent price for this vehicle or did I get the shaft...?
    Never owned a Saab, but intrigued by them and love the syle and ride.
    You can do your research to tell for sure but buying Saabs used is a great way to go - if they check out mechanically. Like you (now I've owned two used Saabs), when I bought my first used Saab I couldn't believe the value I got for the money. I payed $8500 for a 2000, (in 2005), and $6900 for a 1999 the next year, (totalled my first). The ride is comfortable, roomy, driving the car is fun and people are always surprised at what a nice car it is when they get inside.

I looked at other makes, (BMW, Audi, Mercedes), and I would have had to buy a few years older or pay $3-4K more for the same year.
  • shack502shack502 Member Posts: 2
    I did the research before the purchase and also checked NADA and Kelly Blue book for value.
    As with any research you hear good and bad....book on this vehicle is between 18-21 k... so it seems as though I got a descent deal. This is unlike most deals I make, it seams as though after the sale I find you that I get screwed some how along the line.
    So, with any hope at all, I may have got a good car at a good price ~ Right !!!???
    My other concern is when things need fixing.....although it still carries factory warranty, I'm afraid cost with repairs ?
    Whats your thoughts..?
  • 1elle1elle Member Posts: 1
    I'm considering purchasing a 2005 9-5 w/~24K miles. The asking price is ~$15k.
    I test drove it and liked it. It seems in pristine condition and for the year it has relatively low mileage. My question is with regards to maintenance. I have tried to get an idea of yearly maintenance, but I can't get good answers. Then I heard Saab was going out of business. I thought I would run the vin number through carfax. Is that pretty accurate? My current car has ~208K miles. It's running fine although I think it's going to need breaks soon. This seemed like a good deal, but I don't know a lot about Saabs. I've read a few posts. Sounds like it's a rather good car, but some one here was asking if the person was in a wintery place. I'm in New England, but I would run it with studded tires. What is prone to go wrong with this year and make of car? My old car my mechanic told me that the particular year I had was known for a weak transmission. Sure enough, it did go, but after 8 years. Thanks for the suggestions, thoughts, and comments.
  • markjones22markjones22 Member Posts: 1
    Just bought a '03 95 and it did not have an owners manual. Does anyone know where I can download one that doesn't cost $$. Seems a rip off to pay $25 for an owners manual.

Also, I'm admitted auto maintenance / repair challenged but usually I try to do the simple things myself. I've got a tail light that has gone out..., I replaced both light bulbs and looked all over the fuse box to find a potentially bad fuse. Can't seem to find a fuse for the headlights or tail lights. And with no users manual, I embarrassed to say that I'm stumped.

Any suggestions?
  • 12barblues12barblues Member Posts: 2
    Car overheated multiple times and wouldn't keep coolant - had towed. In addition to other problems (engine leaks oil from somewhere), dealer says biggest issue is two blown head gaskets, and once they would dig into it, if they were warped, it would be another few grand to fix. So, rough estimate was 5-8K to fix (by them). Knowing I could find someone to do it cheaper, is it even worth it? Other problems are cracked serpentine belt, probable oil pan gasket torn, thermostat, etc. Is it worth it, or cut the losses?
  • ilrndudeilrndude Member Posts: 14
    Is it worth $5k - $8k to repair? Nope. And since the car is a Saab it won't be easy to find someone cheaper to work on it who'll know what they're doing. As a '01 9-5 owner who stupidly loves his Saab, if this were me, I'd chunk it and spend that money on the down payment for a Honda.
  • 12barblues12barblues Member Posts: 2
    Thanks - I am getting another estimate on Monday when I can get the car towed there, but the mechanic cited head gasket replacement work (and all the related fixes) he did for someone two years ago for about 2500. I'm sure it would be more now, but if it isn't fixed, I doubt I'll get more than 500.00 from the car donation services, and be shelling out another major car payment. So, we'll see what a real estimate looks like. But, thanks again for the response - good luck with yours.
  • chawk01chawk01 Member Posts: 13
    Anyone with experience or numbers on what dealers are offering for "new" 2008 9-5s sitting on their lots? Seems like I'm seeing them in the $26,000 - $29,000 range. They appear to be offering 0% financing for 60-months (in lieu of the big cash incentives). Anyone getting the financing and a steep discount in price?

Any observations or actual deal stats would be great. Thanks!
  • ponytrekkerponytrekker Member Posts: 310
    I looked in April and couldn't get anyone to go below 28k except for a demo. I was looking to pay 25-26k and no more.

For me 28k for a car from a bankrupt manufacturer that has been sitting for close to two years was more than I was looking to pay.
  • cdyoungcdyoung Member Posts: 9
    Heater stopped working, is there a thermostat and where is it located? Any help would be appreciated. Already recalibrated the panel only number was 0. Thank you
  • billy44bob44billy44bob44 Member Posts: 3
    I'm looking at a used 2007 9-5 Aero and the dealer says no vehicle history report is available because the vehicle was originally acquired by the 1 original owner using Saab's European Delivery program, where you fly to Europe to pick up the car, drive it around, and then they ship it to the US (it is built for use in the US not in EU).

Does this sound right to you? When I put the VIN into Carfax and Autocheck they both say "0 records". Any other way I can get vehicle history on this car?

Thanks.
  • aconroyaconroy Member Posts: 1
    My 2000 9-5 Aero won't start. For the last 4 months, I've noticed an electrical buzz sound just before it turned over. Now it just won't catch when I turn the key. It's not the battery, but I'm wondering if I need a new starter, a solenoid, or both.

Thoughts?
  • jlamsonjlamson Member Posts: 7
    Does the starter make a spinning sound like the gear is spinning, and just not popping out to engage the fly wheel? If so, then I'd suspect the starter. It's hard to describe sounds with words, so I'll just say that you should check your connections on the battery as well as on the starter for corrosion. Often times it will make a strange noise, possibly like the one you describe, if it has a dirty, loose, or corroded connection.

I'm not a mechanic per se, but my dad was, and I learned a lot from him over the years, and do most of my own work.

--Jim
  • saab123saab123 Member Posts: 1
    Likely the crankshaft position sensor. Went out recently on my 2001 lpt. Engine turns but does not catch or catches intermittently. Part is about $200 + labour.

Saabnet.com is also a very useful bulletin board
  • cdyoungcdyoung Member Posts: 9
    2000 model V-6 heat won't work after air conditioning is turned on. Vacuum line on bypass valve is taken off and put back on then heat will work again. Have changed bypasss valve on firewall and have calibrated heater control panel no success. Everytime I pull the vacuum line and re-connect it I can get heat but then if you go to AC and then back to heat... no heat. Any help is greatly appreciated
  • maxsznmaxszn Member Posts: 2
    Just bought a 2006 9-5 from dealer. asked why there are 4 headlight and only the outboard lights come on. They came up with a story that the inboard were for other country's and not for the USA. Also while driving at night, there is a light that is like a spot light shinning on the roadside ( shinning for deer??) Dealer is suppose to check that next week. Any thoughts ??
  • maxsznmaxszn Member Posts: 2
    Dealer found the driver side lightbulb was not plugged in correctly. also the inboard lights are note us
  • dk95dk95 Member Posts: 1
    I just purchased the same car yesterday and have encountered the same problem, no DVD or Car Manual. How were you able to resolve the DVD Nav system? Where would I find a DVD for it? Thx soo much!
  • rpritschrpritsch Member Posts: 1
    I have a 2000 9 5. I love the car but the SID has gone out on me a second time, and that's after the factory replaced it once under warranty. It must be a weak spot. I always thpught LEDs were more robust and long lasting.Anyone know of an alternative to Dealer replaced unit at several hundred dollars?
  • jfiskjfisk Member Posts: 2
    This is a late post considering your initial post date, but I hope you snatched up that gem for that kind of price! I am now on my 3rd used SAAB and knock on wood, my out of pocket expense has been minimal. I can say without question that they have been the most reliable and predictable cars I have ever owned. One of my best friends has a 900 5 speed Turbo that has 360000 miles on it! you read that right 360K! I nave just purchased a 2002 9 5 Arc with all the bells and whistles, even the reverse radar and the Xenon light package. It has 87K and has never been in an accident. It does have some light scratches on the hood and trunk, but most will wet sand out of the paint. I presently have a 97 SAAB 900 SE turbo,a 02 Volvo S40 and a 02 Mercedes C230K 6 speed. The SAAB is the winner hands down with the Mercedes running moderately behind. The Volvo is a CEL nightmare but with 149K on the clock it served it's purpose. But it has been the worst of my stable by far. I have spent 4 years checking CEL faults and costing me a pretty penny along the way. The Turbo is beginning to fail so I am trading it in on the SAAB, the dealer is giving me 2K so I really can't complain. Buy those SAAB's at every opportunity from now until you die, you will be very happy you did in the long run.
  • jasonh2jasonh2 Member Posts: 1
    Hey have bought a used Saab and is having a few problems.. Had Starter taken out and checked and is fine..
    Car was fine for 2-3 weeks no problems then only started every now and again would be fine most of the time but sometimes wouldnt start.. took it into the shop and they put in a new relay box to help it .. went fine for a week now is doing same problem and is coming up with automatic transmission light on dash and an exclamation mark warning light.. and gears seem to be "jolting" in reverse and sometimes when putting into gear..
    The S.I.D (computer stereo screen) is working but is all fuzzy & cant read it any ideas if you need to be able to read the screen??
    .. Love my new car but am having so many problems with it.
    Just want it to START and for NO LIGHTS TO COME UP ON THE SCREEN .. Anyone got any ideas would help out so much ASAP !!!!!!!!!!!!!
  • jfiskjfisk Member Posts: 2
    what your experiencing is the 9-5 transmission jolt. It is a bad valve body in the transmission. In short if you don't replace the valve body then its yours for life, unfortunately. Google Saab 9 5 transmission problems and you can read all about it. Good news it doesn't effect the performance of the transmission with the exception of a very long hesitation followed by a clunk as it engages the reverse clutch gear. There are quite a few things that can cause electrical nightmares on Saab's one of which is a wrong light bulb installed in the car . Some folks will install a dual filament bulb by mistake and the car will freak out. Try that 1st and if the problem still exist give us a shout. good luck!
  • screemnamescreemname Member Posts: 2
    I don't know anything about the jolt.

But for the potential good of anyone else finding this thread...

The intermittent starting sounds like the way my SE wagon was behaving. The problem was a faulty Crankshaft Position Sensor. Not very expensive nor very difficult to replace (not dead easy, at that.)

I found online step-by-step instructions with plenty of photos to illustrate the procedure. That was a while ago. I would bet the information is still out there, but I don't have the link.

I *think* I may have had to buy some special sockets for getting something or other out of the way.