Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Saab 9-5 Sedan

Comments

• kerrymankerryman Member Posts: 9
    I'm glad I was relatively calm, for the first several seconds were trying to figure out what exactly happened (i.e., the dashboard lights went out, the gauges went dead, I can't accelerate: "what causes this?"). I considered the neutral re-start while coasting, but thought a safe pullover might also enable myself and my passenger to exhale. I can't imagine what throwing it into park while coasting would've done (as in, you might go through the windshield without a collision to deploy the airbags (?)). Thanks for responding - KM
  • mstsscmstssc Member Posts: 89
    I was thinking the same thing the other day. On a 3 hour trip out of town my passenger was sitting with his knee up close to the key. I was wondering if the key could be shut off by hitting it. Naah, I'm sure Saab thought about this when they put the key in this location. Think again.

A good heads up, and I'm glad all turned out safely. At lease the steering wheel didn't lock up (at lease I assume it didnt). I have a manual transmission and I will always have to be ready to neutral and restart when I have a wayward passenger on the longer trips.

Steve
  • pdeckertpdeckert Member Posts: 4
    I was given to understand that Saab is currently offering $5,500 cash incentives on remaining 2001 wagons. What's the cash incentive offered on remaining 2001 base (2.3) sedans in US and Canadian markets?
    Thanks and regards, Peter
    I picked up a 9.5 base sedan about a month ago. Lease incentive was $1700 Cdn. No purchase incentives other than 0.9% through GMAC. Lease rate was 1.9% for 3 yrs, 3.9% for 4 yrs.

I looked at these cars back in 99 and held out right to the end of the model year. Even when our local dealer was down to two cars, incentive in December of 99 was about $4,000. I bought a Volvo.

I find you need to be careful with Saab in Canada. First of all they are marketed through Saturn, Isuzu dealers who have a 'posted price is what you pay' philosophy. Also, if you wait too long for bigger incentives at year end, selection here gets very limited. If your not picky on colour, equipment etc you may be able to hold out.

I selected a black, 5 speed with leather and sunroof. Apparently, there were only about 7 left in Canada with 5 speed, leather, sunroof combination. The dealer in Calgary had mine shipped in from Montreal. This was early August.

Steve
  • saabguy3saabguy3 Member Posts: 1
    Anyone tried the SAAB 9-5 Engine tuning kit for the 2000 offered at the dealer? It is mentioned in the Fall 2001 Saab Discoveries. and says up 30 more horsepower an 19 ft/lbs of torque with no increase in fuel consumption or exhaust emmisions. It includes a new Electronic Control Module (ECM) and platinum plugs (and cool engine badge).

Let me know if this performs as stated ( I guess it makes the engine equivelent to the 2001)

SG
  • tgif888tgif888 Member Posts: 351
    Just got one last night. I'm not in the market for a new car. I wonder how did SAAB select people on this.
  • boonsboroboonsboro Member Posts: 22
    I got 1 certificate and 2 offers to mail in a postcard and get a certificate. It appears that SAAB is realy starting to push these out.

Does anyone know if you get the $1000 SAAB loyalty rebate in addition to the $5000 certificate? How about the 0% GM financing offer?
  • dskidski Member Posts: 414
    >If Aero seats were available I hope they
    don't do two tone or leather and suede mixed. The
    new Audi seats that are available like that look a
    bit tacky and flashy.<

I agree with that - Saab did have a Suede/ Leather combination on and early 90's 9000 Griffin Edition. I discovered them when I was shopping for my first Saab (used). They did not wear well at all, at least not on the car I looked at. The Suede wore very poorly. So I'd think Saab will avoid that concept after the experiment.

Good point on the Side Air bags and the Old Aero seats. I didn't think about it but those seats - great as they were- would likely not match well with a side bag feature. I'm probably complaining more than needed about the current seats. Most people who have written reviews of the 9-5 seem to like them. Maybe I'm just built more awkwardly than others. Hmm, Volvo front seats are very comfortable for me - Maybe I'm built like a Volvo owner. How depressing.

Drew
  • bretfrazbretfraz Member Posts: 2,021
    Read it on SaabUSA.com. 0% from Sept 20 to end of October. All models it looks like.

Don't know about the other things. Ask you dealer.
  • trecchuititrecchuiti Member Posts: 8
    Dealer MAG Cars in Columbus Ohio stated the 0% on Saabs must include 20% down on MSRP before figuring the mark down that they list. In addition, the $5,000 rebate does not apply with the 0%. They did say that you can do the $5,000 rebate with 1.9% financing which is a better deal, particularly since they do not require 20% down on 1.9%.

Does this jive with what others are being told or are they making up a hybrid deal? Thanks.
  • dmathew347dmathew347 Member Posts: 80
    I'm trying to decide between a 2001 Nissan Maxima and 2001 9-5 SE V6.
    Why is it that used 2001 9-5 v6's have lower prices than used 2001 9-5 4 cylinder ones.
    Having owned only japanese brands previously, my biggest worry with the Saab is its reliability and maintenance.
    What are the previous owners experiences with SAAB reliability and maintenance. And how does the cost of routine maintenance (oil changes, etc.)fare compared to other cars. Also since the 9-5 SE has a GM based v6, does that mean GM
    designed it, or is it a SAAB creation. I'm worried that GM's hand might spell doom on traditional SAAB quality, kinda like what Ford did with Jaguar S-Type!!
  • scbryan1scbryan1 Member Posts: 1
    I have had a 2000 9-5 SE (v-6) for the last 18 months and have had very few problems. Routine maintenance costs are free for the first 30,000 miles.
    How exactly was the S-Type a superior car before Ford got involved in it? Maybe you are thinking of another British brand. Ask anyone involved in the Jag world and they are thrilled that Ford's influence has resulted in much better quality across the board, not just with the S-Type.

I had a '96 Max and a '97 Infiniti before my current '00 9-5. If your priority is reliability, low maintenance costs, and appliance-like motoring, stick with Nissan.

However, if you want superior driving dynamics, world-class safety and a unique vehicle that stands out without being freakish, then Saab is a definite option. A completely different world apart from virtually every Asian car.

If you want to make a status statement, don't buy a Saab; stick with the big three image brands. Your friends prolly won't get it - mine didn't.
    Lets be frank. 'Most' mainstream japanese based sedans, athough reliable with good build quality and good resale etc. etc, are boring to drive and own. If you want a vehicle with some personality, superior driving pleasure, uniqueness and a little bit of eccentricity go with Saab. On top of that the 9.5 is an understated car, it does not scream status like BMW, MB or Jaguar.

Unfortunately, you do not buy Saab or any other premium European car for its low cost of ownership. If low service costs are a high priority, stick with the Hondas and Toyotas.

I can't comment on the 6cyl vs 4cyl (mines a 4 cyl). Although I believe the Saab 'purists' prefer the 4 cyl as Saab has been building the 4 cyl turbos for years and they are very tunable for more performance (check out saabnet.com some very informative fellows on there).

Keep in mind that most people, including the car reviewers, don't understand what attracts people to Saab and why Saab has some very loyal owners. Your friend and neighbours defintely don't get it and most of them think I 'lost' it in my middle age.

Steve
    01 9.5, 99 V70, 62 Etype
  • lmbb2001lmbb2001 Member Posts: 1
    We are looking to get out of our lease on a Saab 9-5. Does anyone have any recommendations?

Some options we are looking at are buying out the lease right now (severely upside down), trading in and taking the upside down hit there and rolling the difference into the new financing, or selling it outright.

This is not something we have to do, it is something we WANT to do. We don't want to "rent" this car any more. We love the car and would like to keep it, but my fiancee, who bought the car spur of the moment, feels like she got robbed.

if anyone has any suggestion or have been through similar experiences, please reply.
    Thank you
  • ajaymeajayme Member Posts: 74
    The best route is to get the pay-off from the leasing company and sell it out right yourselves. The other way would be to check with a credit union or some other lower rate institution and finance it yourselves. You're going to lose money, it'll just be how much you'll lose will depend on which method you choose. I wish I had better news. Don't forget to check Edmunds and Kelly Blue Book for current values as well as your local auto classified ads in your newspaper for current values. Good luck.
  • hsj1906hsj1906 Member Posts: 42
    I am getting ready to lease a 9-5 Aero. I know there is the $5,000 lease incentive, but have people had any success getting their car for under MSRP?
  • jenettamjenettam Member Posts: 1
    I'm not a previous SAAB owner and I am not affiliated with GM. Does anyone know how to get one of the incentives being referred to, or has anyone had luck with purchasing their car under MSRP.
  • new2saab2new2saab2 Member Posts: 8
    After a bit of research, it looks to me like there is a $5,000 manufacturer to dealer incentive effective until 10/31/01 (http://detnews.com/autos/deals.html).

There is also this 0% financing. Since the $5,000 incentive is to the dealer, the consumer can only use it as a bargaining chip, but the good news is that it looks like there is nothing stopping you from also getting the 0%. So you could get the car for $4,000 below invoice, with 0% financing, and the dealer still makes $1,000 on the sale.

I think I may try that.
    After a bit of research, it looks to me like there is a $5,000 manufacturer to dealer incentive effetive until 10/31/01 (http://detnews.com/autos/deals.html).

There is also this 0% financing. Since the $5,000 incentive is to the dealer, the consumer can only use it as a bargaining chip, but the good news is that there is nothing stopping you from also getting the 0%. So you could get the car for $4,000 below invoice, with 0% financing, and the dealer still makes $1,000 on the sale.

I think I may try that.
    I just leased a Saab 9-5 aero yesterday. With a lease, you get the $5,000 incentive (they just take it off as part of the cap cost reduction). If you finance it, you get 0% interest (but I am pretty sure you don't get the $5,000 incentive). Whether you lease or finance, you can also get a Saab loyalty incetive of $1,000 (if you previously used Saab Financial Services to lease or finance another Saab).

If you have the money to put down, the savings on buying at 0% interest (essentially a free loan) turns out to be a better deal than the $5k savings off a lease.
  • gbriankgbriank Member Posts: 220
    To get 0%, you have to put 20% down. Also, you cannot get the $5000 incentive with 0%. It's one or the other.
  • dmathew347dmathew347 Member Posts: 80
    Does Saab still offer this program. Has anyone partaken in this program. I was going to buy a Saab in the next few months and was hoping to take advantage of the free trip.
    How can it be that you can only get 0% or the $5,000, when you don't really get the $5,000 anyway? Somebody's blowin' smoke.

The $5,000 that I'm talking about is NOT the lease incentive. It's the $5k that Saab rebates the dealer with. The dealer doesn't have to pass that on to the buyer. But the 0% is directly offered to the buyer. Since the $5,000 is not technically even offered to the buyer, of course you can't combine it with the 0% financing. But the dealer gets the $5,000 on the sale anyway. I'm saying use it to bargain with, so that you can get the car at or below invoice, since the dealer makes money anyway.
    Which is the better buy? Any pros/cons for either car?

Thanks in advance for your thoughts.
    I'm sure others will post their thoughts. But this very subject has occured several times in this room. Scroll back a few hundred posts and read them.

Also do a Board Search. There have been specific topics comparing the 9-5 to other cars.
  • patpat Member Posts: 10,421
    We do not have a current discussion comparing the 9-5 and the 5-series. Anybody want to jump over to our Comparisons - Sedans vs. Sedans folder and start one?

Pat
    Host
    Sedans Message Board
    I just bought an Aero sedan this week and I took a quick look at the BMW. The 525 is slower than the aero and it costs a lot more for the same features. Since Saab is running so many great specials right now (so you can drive away in a Saab at or near the listed invoice), I think it is a no brainer.
  • donbensondonbenson Member Posts: 5
    I need to replace my front 2 Michelin Energy MXV4 215/55/16 tires. Can anyone recommend a good replacement that is more economical and will perform well the the existing Michelin rear tires?
  • godeacsgodeacs Member Posts: 481
    Would strongly recommend you get 4 new tires, not 2 since you need to rotate them every 7,500 miles or so. The new front ones will end up in the rear soon with the 2 older tires up front. Just curious, why do only the 2 front ones neeed replacing? May want to check front alignment and have ALL 4 tires balanced....
  • trecchuititrecchuiti Member Posts: 8
    I have the chance to buy a 2000 9-5, automatic (my wife cannot drive manual), heated & ventilated leather seats with 17k miles for $23,000. The warranty still has two years and also the free maintenance. One owner (the wife of the dealer).

This deal seems real good. Any concerns or thoughts from anyone?

The car is so roomy and there is nothing obviously wrong with it. In addition there is no need to put 20% down (i.e. to get 0%) nor do I need to pay for the depreciation that occurs as if going with a 2001 at 1.9%.

I rambled a bit but thoughts are appreciated.
    It's hard to say exactly what the car will feel like if you mixed brands, but most tire experts say, "don't do it". Depending on what tire you choose, there could be a fairly dramatic effect on how the car handles, steers, and brakes. I don't see the logic in adversely affecting your car's performance just to save a few bucks.

Another point: Put the new tires on the rear and put the old rear tires on the front. Front wheel drive cars need to have fresh rubber on the rears to maintain traction, especially in bad weather. Those who think that the focus should be on front tires while ignoring the rears until they are badly worn are dangeously mistaken.

I second the advice of replacing all four and doing a better job of maintaining them in the future. If you want a well made but affordable tire, I like the Yokohama Avid V4. Also look at the new Dunlop SP Sport A2, Bridgestone RE950, Pirelli P6000 Sport Veloce, and the Toyo Proxes FZ4. All should be under $100.

Good luck.
  • damcnealdamcneal Member Posts: 11
    Is there a web site to find used snows for a '99 9-3? We only have one year left on the lease, and don't want to go to the expense to pay full price if we don't have to. Any advice would be appreciated. Thanks!
    P.S. I now have 3,000 miles on my 9-5 and am still in love!
    I heard somewhere that the Saab 9-5 can have a phone set up so that the radio mutes when you make or recieve a call, and uses the car's audio system.

Is this only available if you use the OnStar phone service? Can you have a different cell phone service installed?

Frankly, I do not want OnStar, but its a standard feature.
  • seafloseaflo Member Posts: 2
    looking to buy 9-5 in Ct any good deals around new or used 2001 and could you use the incentives heard dealers allowing both saab previous owner $1000 and 5000 cert?
  • jeffb95jeffb95 Member Posts: 3
    I spoke with a dealer in CT and he said that any knowledgeable car audio vendor should be able to install a hands free phone kit. I have the Motorola v60 and they make a car kit for that phone. The cradle installs on the right side of the center panel by the passengers left knee. All wiring would be hidden and if installed properly, the radio should automatically mute and the sound should come through the speakers. Obviously the cradle would also act as a charger and the lighter plug would remain free for radar or something. The dealer said that even on a leased car, it is not a problem to return the car and leave the kit in it. Three years down the road, you won't care anyway.

The key is to do it after market. If you ask the dealer to install it for you, the cost will be higher and it will be added to the cost of the car. Ask them for a recommendation and call the guy yourself.
  • mfedermanmfederman Member Posts: 1
    Has anyone installed the 9-5 sport exhaust system on a 2001 SE. I have owned a SE for about 3 months. I have grown to dislike the tone of the engine (too whiny) and thought the exhaust system would give the engine a deeper sound. This system is also supposed to give a small hp boost as well.
    Some time ago, a poster in here described the install in detail. If I were you I'd spend time scrolling thru old posts and find it. It's supposed to work well. I have the phone mount but not the kit as I do not use an Ericsson or Nokia.
    If you find an aftermarket exhaust for the SE, lemme know. I've been looking for one. All I can find is Nordic's but it's part of a performance kit. IIRC, Wigwam Saab in RI is a Nordic distributor.
  • rickpctrickpct Member Posts: 71
    Did you check Saab of Westport/Greenwich. Live in fairfield and test drove some 9-3's - pricing wasn't too bad for some low mileage cars. They had a few 95's as well.

Might also want to check www.roberti.com or saabnet.com -> most of the real saabers hang out at saabnet.com
  • smu1976smu1976 Member Posts: 110
    bretfraz,

I was the phone "poster". Don't even try the phone install, its a nightmare. I tried it, called Nokia, called Saab USA, had the mount and wiring installed at $300 and hit a brick wall as far as having someone hook it up to a phone. All the different phones have different connections, and its an electronical mess. My old 9000 came with a Nokia installed in between the seats and it was so convenient, and I really wanted the 9-5 to work the same, but I finally (and West Country Saab in St. Louis) gave up. Plus, I usually don't have the same cell phone for more than two years.
    Finally some specialty electronic store said they would do it for $400. I had to stop at $300. Now if there is someone else out there that knows how it can be done, I would appreciate the news. I am off lease in 10 months, and might get another Nine-five or Nine-Three (new one coming out for 2003). So far, this Nine Five has been the best car I have ever owned (out of 14 total, counting the Maverik).
    Now SMU, you don't really expect us to believe that? ;-)

My grandfather loved Mavericks. Well, he loved Falcons and Fords in general and the Maverick was basically an updated Falcon. Anyway, one of the first cars I ever drove as a little boy was a Maverick. Superior to the 9-5 in virtually every way. Especially if it has "3 on the tree".

- - Bret - -
  • smu1976smu1976 Member Posts: 110
    Should have known that the Mav was a bad choice when one of the commercials had a group of flight attendants taking it apart.
  • jlaszlojlaszlo Member Posts: 60
    Found a 1999 9-5 5 speed, leather with 46K. In beautiful condition as far as I can tell. The dealer who serviced it says it's in good shape. The guy wants $15000. He buys Saabs off lease and resells them at comparably cheap prices. The question is how are the 1999 9-5s holding up? Are they good cars? Thanks
    I bought my 2001 9-5 Aero Sedan yesterday. It's a beautiful 5-speed with steel gray paint and gray interior. The only extra is the heated seats. I went in with my own low financing and got the $5,000, so I paid $35,500 (car, options and destination charge). According to Edmunds' numbers, I got the car for $1,450 over the invoice (not counting the rebate). That's about a 4% profit to the dealer, which I thought was fair.

I think I did okay. Any encouraging words regarding the deal I got?
  • scott67cascott67ca Member Posts: 2
    Congratulations! I have the 2000 9-5SE with the heated/ventilated seats front and the heated seats in the back. Have the deep blue paint...just love the color!!! After comparing models BMW, Audi, Mercedes, and the Passat...the commercial was right, the test drive closed it for me.

With regards to your deal, I was very much dismayed by the discrepancy in pricing from one dealer to the next. What I did find was that armed with the right (accurate!) information, much of which was obtained right here, I was able to take my price to a dealer.

Have had two concerns, albeit very minor. Water leaks in around the drivers side door and seeps down almost to the dash, soaking the fabric along the way. Has happened in very heavy rain 4 times, and the dealer has re-sealed once. Anyone else with this problem?

Also the middle bolt that holds the door to the body on the drivers side has loosened once. Had a Geo in college and that never happened...

Anyway, looks like Saab has another lifetime customer, the performance and ride and the look have it!
    I bought a steel gray aero with charcoal interior about two weeks ago. My only option was heated seats (I bought a manual) and metallic paint. The car was a loaner and had 1,700 miles (which I didn't care about because I leased it and it stay will be under warranty when I return it) on it -- so that may throw my price off some. Anyway, I talked him down to $39,700 without consiering the mileage. Then he knocked another $2k off for the mileage so my price was $37,700. With the $5k incentive, my total price was $32,700.
  • yammyhahayammyhaha Member Posts: 2
    Log onto saabnet.com. Then choose classifieds, then parts. Cheers!
  • gabreugabreu Member Posts: 5
    Hi all, I am thinking of purchasing a SAAB 9-5 AERO. Fully loaded with 17 in BBS wheels, heated seats , automatic, and no ventilated leather seats. A few questions 1) What would be considered a good deal ? 2) Any setbacks on the AERO high output engine ? I only see posts for the lpt engine

Thanks
  • rickpctrickpct Member Posts: 71
    According to consumer reports the 95's are holding up well, they are a "recommended vehicle"

I own a 2001 95 wagon, lpt. no problems.

I do know that the 1999 had an ECU recall I believe. The $15.5K price is a steal. Use carfax to check the vehicle. Also, go to saabnet.com - it is the best source on the internet for saab information and feedback from saab fanatics!