Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

BMW 3-Series 2005 and earlier

Comments

• Are the M3 and M5 steering wheels the same? In an earlier post, I thought the person was referring to the the M5?
  • Does anyone have any pictures of a 2002 325i with Sport Package? I want to get a good look at the new rims. Thanks!
  • Im thinking of getting 18 inch tires and wheels as an option on 330ci with sport pkg. do you feel this option is worth the cost if performance is an important factor for me.
  • I just posted a long write-up on this a few posts back, use scoll-up 20 messages link until you see it. It had 18inch wheels/tires in the subject line, if edmunds support search.
  • Even though I think red looks kinda cheap on a 3-series, it looks fantastic on a Z8!!!

While on the way to school, I spoted a red Z8 behind me, as it was drove by a 50 something man. What a nice car, my eyes are glued to the car until to the point which I have to make a left turn to my school.
  • I saw a beautiful Silver Z8 Monday afternoon. Sitting next to this 50ish guy at a stop light in N. Atlanta, he had the top down, perfect convertible weather. Noticed his plates had expired about 6 months prior. In Georgia, car taxes are relatively high, and is varies by county. His plates were Fulton Co, bet he owed at least $2000. WTH, I bet the dude had it. :))
  • ccotenjccotenj Posts: 610
    tirerack - honest.
    mudflaps - if you like 'em, go for it... the ones on the e36 were a royal pain to get clipped on... dunno if that has changed on the e46.

18" - i'm not convinced the 18" bmw wheel will add any "performance", as you'll be adding some unsprung weight. might be a wash. something to consider. tire prices (and options) get pretty scary 18" and above. want to go bigger than the stock 17"? do some hunting, find yourself forged lightweight wheels and then you'll be barking up the correct tree.

tires/wheels - get the steel wheels, or hunt around for a set of takeoffs that someone is trying to get rid of (i found a real nice set of 15" basketweaves for mine). wheel will pay for themselves (as someone pointed out earlier) with one season of use.

shipo - lol... somehow, i just can't think of myself as an "expert" on these things yet...

mark - did you cop a ride in it????

-Chris
  • genie1genie1 Posts: 398
    I think that red Z8 you spotted may be the one profiled in the TorStar/Globe&Mail (can't remember which) a while back. There can't be too many around here.

That's one beautiful car. For us lesser mortals, I drove with a M roadster on Lakeshore to work this morning. It looked black but had a bluish tinge. Very nice!
  • My 2001 325i is bright red and last time I looked I was a male living in Canada! Sorry Genie.

Get lots of comments about the colour and on the lot at Budd's in Oakville they have 3 bright reds. One a 5 series, 2 3 series, 1 being a convertable M3. All are stunning!
    I'm sure you will be very pleased with your BMW no matter what color you pick. Color is extremely subjective and we've been through this before on this board.

Shawn: I'd forgotten that your bimmer is red. How was your service experience at Budds?

:)
    what color it is makes ZERO difference in how it performs. ZERO.

-Chris

ps. thanks genie. this thread is beginning to degenerate into "how to accessorize my trophy"...
  • While I can associate red with coupe better, personally I still think red and seda just don't match. Only exception is if the red is metallic colour and it's dark; otherwise, I think it's very dull looking. I saw a red 325i once in front of my school, and wasn't impressed. I also think red is a hard colour to be maintained as it gets dirty real easily.

Obviously, colour doesn't make your car go faster or not, but it does kinda tell what kind of person you are.
    typical...blame the chick! ;)
  • brave1heartbrave1heart Posts: 2,698
    <<< Are the M3 and M5 steering wheels the same? >>>

They LOOK and FEEL the same to me but I'm not sure if they have the same part number.
    Most owners would disagree that the 3-series is a sports car. It's a sport sedan and as such, the idea is to perform close to a sports car but offer a lot more practicality and comfort. Bright red is a very aggressive color that matches a sports car better than a sport sedan. The key thing is that if you do like it, you should get it - it would be a nice change from all the silver and black 3-series out there. It may not improve performance but who says that we should only care and talk about performance?
  • div2div2 Posts: 2,580
    Chill out! I ordered my Club Sport in red because it matches my California Dusters. And red really looks phat with 20' chrome wheels.
    lol... nah, i was thanking you for attempting to get things back on track again...

ummm... if i started thinking that colour tells me something about the person who is driving the car, i think i need to re-assess how i judge people...

ummm (again)... the 3er isn't a sports car. it wants to be a gt (the m3 is a gt). the 3er is a real nice sedan that handles better than a buick. "sedan" and "sports" don't go together in the same sentence.

hey, if someone wants red, i have no problem with it. but it does get to me a bit when they obsess continually about it and worry about what others will think about it. buy what YOU want.

-Chris
    rofl!!!

i think you could fit 21's on that club sport if you really tried... :)

-Chris
    What's a Club Sport?

And can you fit 21" rims on it? ;)
    <<< "sedan" and "sports" don't go together in the same sentence. >>> ???

I don't think I need to explain to THIS board why your statement is completely wrong. Suffice to say that BMW invented the sport sedan segment.
    feel free to explain... i don't think that i have to defend myself as a bimmerhead...

"sedan" and "sports" don't go in the same sentence. i'm sorry. they may call it "sports sedan" if they like (i believe oldsmobile made a "sports sedan" too).

sportscars are sportscars.

sedans are sedans. some are more fun to drive than others. but they aren't "sports" sedans. there is no such thing.

-Chris
    There is ice and there is cream. Someone thought it would be a great idea to mix them and called it ice cream. Anyone here that doesn't like ice cream? It isn't ice and isn't just cream but it's still wonderful and tastes completely different from just ice or just cream. You need a name for that mixture. A sport sedan will not perform as a sports car and will not be quite as comfortable as a sedan. It's a compromise between sports and sedan and deserves its own definition, even if it is made up of two seemingly contradicting words.
  • 1pierce1pierce Posts: 284
    One last word from me on color. Obviously it is subjective. Some people think red is a gaudy-poser color, and some think grey is boring. Thats why they make all those colors - this isn't a Model-T, after all. I like bright colors, and got many compliments on my red car (still the only car I ever owned that made people come up to me in parking lots and compliment me).

As for coupes/sedans, lets be clear - coupes are ALWAYS cooler. But, unfortunately, most of us can't own them for practical reasons (I think the 325ci only has 4 seat belts in 2002?). I had only coupes before marriage. I'd buy a 325 coupe in a heartbeat if I didn't have (3) small kids. Ever try to get a car seat in and out of a small coupe - it's torture! Also, my wife would mutiny if I bought a coupe. I think the coupe looks exceptionally better in red because it doesn't have the black trim on the doors and bumpers. Not that the sedan looks bad, but I prefer the mono-chromatic look of the coupe. Interestingly, I think the black trim degrades the red slightly more than the silver - and of course, it's invisible on the black.
  • dave330idave330i Posts: 893
    Personally, I think a loud color such as red (or yellow) overpowers the subtle lines of the 3-series. There are 3 E36 in my apt complex. A black, white, and red. Their looks go in that order as well. A bright red sedan/coupe just doesn't look very serious to me. That said, color choice is subjective, and if red makes you happy, go for it.
  • I don't particularly care for mud flaps, my question is are they very effective in protecting the car. The driving conditions here in Alaska are less than desirable. Can you elaborate on how they clip on?
  • I have a 2001 325 with a manual transmission. I have had my car for 8 months and I have 7100
    miles on it. The other day my oil light came on. I would not have thought that I would need
    to add oil at 7,000 miles. I am not a hard driver. I usually drive it pretty easy. The dealer is
    telling me that some of the cars burn oil. That does not sound right to me!!!

HELP!!!! HAS ANY ONE ELSE HAD THIS PROBLEM?
  • I have a 2001 325 with a manual transmission. I have had my car for 8 months and I
    have 7100
    miles on it. The other day my oil light came on. I would not have thought that I
    would need
    to add oil at 7,000 miles. I am not a hard driver. I usually drive it pretty easy. The
    dealer is
    telling me that some of the cars burn oil. That does not sound right to me!!!

HELP!!!! HAS ANY ONE ELSE HAD THIS PROBLEM?
  • dave330idave330i Posts: 893
    Chill out a little. All new cars burn oil for a while. Go to your local autostore and buy either castrol or mobil 1 synthetic. Don't have the manual with me, but I believe it's 5W-50.
  • shiposhipo Posts: 9,152
    A car that uses a quart of oil every 7,000 miles or so is doing just fine. There are many (myself included) who feel that if a car does NOT use some oil, critical components (such as the valve stem/guide interface) are being starved for lubrication and can wear prematurely. To take this even further, many manufacturers say that unless a car is using more than a quart of oil per 1,000 miles, the oil consumption is within tolerance.

My suggestion to you, keep track of the oil consumption, many folks find that the first few thousand miles on a new engine will consume a lot of oil (relatively speaking) and then after the Rings seat, the amount of oil used will drop. If you notice that your oil consumption gets worse (like 1 quart for every 1k to 2k miles), then it would be time to get concerned.

In summary, I suspect that all is well with you car, just keep an eye on things.

Best Regards,
    Shipo
  • 1pierce1pierce Posts: 284
    I was riding with a business associate the other day in his BMW X5, less than a year old, and his oil light came on. We had to stop at a store and buy a quart of oil (or two, I don't remember). It was pretty embarrassing for him, since he spent the entire trip bragging about his X5. I'm kind of glad to know this is normal (a little weird, but from what some of you guys say, normal) - so that the embarrassment never happens to me.