Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

BMW 3-Series 2005 and earlier

Comments

• 1pierce1pierce Member Posts: 284
    Thanks for the response. It seems you're saying that you bought the 5-series for the most basic, personal, and socially liberated of reasons: because you wanted it, and because you could afford it (that relative affluence thing). You also had a very practical, and financially sound reason for not going all the way up to the 540.

That sentiment is very refreshing to me, seeing as we live in a world where some people tell us we only need, or should only spend, money we can socially justify, and that we should give the rest away to "save the world".

Congrats...I respect the content of your posts, and I hope you love your car.
  • postoakpostoak Member Posts: 537
    Hear! Hear!

On another subject, I just want to say what a nice guy nobee is. He just sent me 1 of those Esso highway maps that he uses to navigate around Germany.
  • shiposhipo Member Posts: 9,148
    Awe shucks, I think I am blushing. ;-)

FWIW, I had to battle with my own logical side regarding the 530i:

“Should I keep my perfectly good 1999 328i with only 37,000 miles on it, or upgrade to a 2002?” Fortunately, my leasing company made that one real easy to justify, they wanted just over $120 PER MONTH more to extend my lease 13 months! Not going to happen.

“Should I move to the 330i and enjoy the extra juice in basically the same car that I currently have?” Hmmm, good question, however, I want a 530i.

“Given that my wife now has a practical family vehicle (Dodge Caravan), maybe I should have some fun and get a loaded Chili Red Mini Cooper S for $24,650 and save some money.” Hmmm, good idea, but I WANT a 530i.

“Ok, ok, get the 5er, but, what about the 540i 6-Speed?” Tempting, VERY tempting, however, do I REALLY want to pay another $8,300 (this really is apples to apples, with the exception of the V8, 6-Speed and wheels/tires, my 530i is configured identically to the 540i 6-Speed) for power beyond what I already find totally acceptable?” Nope.

I guess the 530i wins.

Best Regards,
    Shipo
  • brave1heartbrave1heart Member Posts: 2,698
    The most boring cars are also the ones stolen most often. Good thing car thieves like boring cars :o)

http://www.cnn.com/2002/US/03/17/stolen.vehicles.ap/index.html

The registration for the May 2 driving school at NHIS opened today and the seats are filling up fast. Here's the link for those interested in signing up -

https://www.boston-bmwcca.org/forms/registration.asp

• mjones6mjones6 Member Posts: 9
    Earlier someone asked about Dallas BMW dealers. I am still looking.
    so far I haven't closed. At least on the 330cic they claim they are
    mostly getting MSRP. Seemed willing to talk a little, but aren't
    meeting my desired price. Autobaun in FW allows you to request
    pricing over the internet and will give a discount. If you find
    someone good let me know.
  • genie1genie1 Member Posts: 398
    Did anyone else get unsubscribed from the 3-series board this afternoon?

I just picked up my car from Inspection I. The car now has synthetic oil and a new oil filter. I also had them do the brake flush and coolant flush. Damage: $615 of which a whopping $80 is taxes. :(

Does a hundred bucks each for the brake and coolant jobs sound right? Most of the cost was labor for the inspection I, and this dealer prices out comparatively with others in the area.
  • dl7265dl7265 Member Posts: 1,381
    not only boring cars, but ones with expensive parts, did u know a Hood for a 3er goes for less than $400.00 ?

btw,ordered me a new German machine and i will take delivery Thursday! its got advanced fuzzy logic, stainless steel interior and LC display with real time finish and real time delay lol, and its assembled in Berlin Germany.

wala: its the New 2002 Bosch Laundry Machines hehe

DL
  • erickplerickpl Member Posts: 2,735
    HEY! I have one of those boring cars! :) I have the Civic Si. My daughter wants it now that I have the 325xi, but we'll see about that. I dunno about a 16 yr old driving an Si. It has some get up and go. :) You can see it at http://users.tminet.com/erickson/newcar.html (though its not a new car any more). I'm hoping to get some pics of my OxfordGreen / Natural Brown 325xi up pretty soon, but I just haven't had nice enough weather yet to wash and clean it. :)

We had about 6" of sleet and snow last night and the roads were SOLID ice. I wanted to try out the xi's awd performance, but I just didn't feel comfortable with it yet. Our Jeep barely made it out of our steep driveway in 4 Lo cuz the driveway is steep and it was a smooth sheet of ice.

I'll report back on snow/ice performance soon I hope. :)

-Paul

• patpat Member Posts: 10,421
    genie1, we have something weird going on around here where sometimes people are just spontaneously unsubcribed from a discussion. Web Crossing has not been able to track down the problem.

Sorry that happened to you.

Pat
    Host
    Sedans Message Board
  • genie1genie1 Member Posts: 398
    For a second I thought I got voted off, or something! :)
  • patpat Member Posts: 10,421
  • rhmassrhmass Member Posts: 263
    The 325xiT I ordered arrived on March 11th and had a scheduled ship date of March 13th. However it is still at the VPC waiting for parts. I was told by the customer service that there is a recall on rear brake rotor for the 02 325i. Since my car is now at the VPC, BMW will fix it before shipping to my dealer. I was told the same story concerning this recall last week and today, so I think it must be correct. Has any of you heard of this new recall on the 325i rear brake rotor? The only recall that I am aware of relates to the suspension strut on cars produced last November.
    Well, this really teaches me the virtue of patience! I'd rather they do it now than notifying me later to bring my car in for fixing. Just to share this most recent information. I'll call my salesperson tomorrow to find out more information, if any. I'll post it here.
  • scotpana1scotpana1 Member Posts: 6
    Have you heard anything good or bad of the prices and services that are provided at www.opert.com? I was just wondering if it would be worth checking out because it offers a financing option for people that live in the NE.
    scotpana1
    Hmmm, they are only about 8 miles from my house, and I have never heard of them before. Maybe it is because they are discounting the 530i via ED a whopping $340, I was able to get a $1,800 discount from Park Avenue BMW, all in all, a much better deal.

How did you hear about these folks?

Best Regards,
    Shipo
    I got voted off the discussion today as well, maybe it was because I jumped ship and ordered a 5er. ;-)

Best Regards,
    Shipo
  • cnorthrupcnorthrup Member Posts: 74
    Had to Subscribe again also...
    Found them in this months issue of Roundel. With the financing option for ED I thought somebody would have used them. Wonder if they are the negotiating types? I'll be in and out of Bayonne on a ship this summer and wondered what their place was like.
    Scotpana1
    I am sorry to hear that you have one of those boring cars. Please go check up on it to make sure it hasn't been stolen yet :o)
  • denkdenk Member Posts: 75
    Shipo--I seem to recall a few hundred posts ago that you said you were going to Klasse your new car as soon as it comes in. Isn't this contrary to the conventional wisdom that says one should wait until the paint "sets" for a few months? Or does new paint technology now make this wait unnecessary?
    It is my understanding that waiting for the paint to "Set" is something that applies to non-factory paint jobs. Somebody correct me if I am wrong, however, I believe that most (if not all) BMWs are delivered here in the US with a coat of wax applied by the dealership.

Given that I do not know too much about paint, maybe somebody who has more knowlege on the subject can help us out here.

Best Regards,
    Shipo
    Hmmm, well, of all of the world’s ports, military or otherwise, MOTBY (Military Ocean Terminal, Bayonne, New Jersey) will not make anybodies “Top Ten” list. I used to live just a mile and a half north east of there on what used to be the old pier for loading ammunition during WWII, so I know (knew) the area fairly well. Interesting bit of trivia, the point where the Ro-Ro vessels dock to disgorge their cargo of new BMWs is exactly halfway between Port Liberte’ (where I used to live) and MOTBY, so, you might well see some of those big ugly orange Ro-Ros in the area as you come in or go out.

As far as Bayonne itself is concerned, well, it is fairly “Old World” and the folks that live there have a tendency to take things and attempt to make them “Beautiful”, and then, when that failed, the try to make it “More Beautifuller”. My favorite is the wrought iron grillwork many folks have on the front of their houses, that they then spray paint GOLD. Definitely “Beautifuller”. On the other hand, there are a few decent places to get some good food (don’t try the pizza, anywhere). Your best bet is to try to hop a ride into Manhattan, or, if that is not an option, try Hoboken or even a couple of areas in Jersey City, such as “India Square”, where there are more types of Curry Houses in one area than I have seen anywhere else in North America.

If I can offer any assistance while you are in the area, please, feel free to ask.

Best Regards,
    Shipo
    Hmmm, shows what I know, I just discovered that MOTBY has been closed for over 2 years!

Ok, so are you one of the folks coming in on the Ro-Ro vessels, or are you doing something that "if you told me, you would have to kill me"? ;-)

Best Regards,
    Shipo
    Jersey City sounds good. Some Jalfreze, pompadums,naan hmmmm. Working on a Tanker docking mostly at Constable hook (Con Hook). To keep on track had my alarm programmed today some ineptitude on the dealers part but otherwise everything went fine. Amazing how little tilt is needed to set it off. Hey Shipo do you mean that the Broadway that runs through Bayonne is not the real BROADWAY? Only two decent curry joints here in San Antonio
    Scotpana1
  • nobeenobee Member Posts: 194
    I was wondering why the board seemed so quiet...
    =)
    -nobee
  • nobeenobee Member Posts: 194
    no big thing, hopefully the map will work out for you while traveling in GE!

on a side note, I just put down a deposit on a Harley Davidson Fat Boy! What a beautiful bike...I can't wait to tell my wife about it...hahaha!
    There is broadway and then there is BROADWAY. ;-)

The one in Bayonne has a couple of semi-decent Italian Restaurants, and, well, that is about it. The one across the Hudson, well, I would be hard pressed to name something that could NOT be had at some point during it’s length.

Ahhh, Constable Hook, just the next stop south in Bayonne from the (former) MOTBY, lots of storage tanks there. I used to run in that area at zero-dark-thirty in the morning for exercise, it seemed that that was the only area around there without a bunch of drunk drivers.

Best Regards,
    Shipo
  • bg31bg31 Member Posts: 3
    My 02 325 xiT arrived on March 12, probably on the same ship as Rhmass's car. It was delivered to the dealer and I was told the same story about rear brake rotors recall. I was also told it applies only to AWD models. Parts are on order, I have to wait. It is definitely better to have them replace the parts then to waste my time and bring it for repair later.
    Salesman told me that suspension struts problem is corrected and vehicles produced in calendar 2002 year should not be affected.
  • alan927alan927 Member Posts: 31
    Sorry Dave,I thought you were someone else who posts under a similiar name over at another BMW board who also happens to be from California.
    Thanks for your posting which confirms the recall. While the delay does inconvenince me a bit, I am very pleased that BMW makes sure cars they deliver to customers are functioning properly. They could have just delivered the car and let dealers correct the problems afterwards. After all, this recall has not been formally announced yet. This is a company with integrity!
  • lfgpitlfgpit Member Posts: 9
    I have a 330xi waiting to be picked up at the dealer. It arrived at the dealer around March 7. Do you know if the rotor recall for the 325x also applies to the 330x? I wonder if my dealer even knows about it. In the alternative, who can I call to find out? I'm not sure I trust my dealer to know.
  • esq1esq1 Member Posts: 20
    rhmass and bg31, do you have any idea when the new parts are supposed to arrive? I also have a 325xi wagon sitting at the VPC which I had hoped to get this week. sigh.
    RHMass, does that recall only apply to the xiT models or are all xi's involved? What specifically was the issue that prompted the recall information?
    My salesperson called me a few minutes ago and this is what he told me:
    First off, this is a "campaign", not a recall and the difference I learned is that for a campaign, car manufacturers can wait to correct the said problem when the cars are brought in to dealers for services. Generally as a rule, this means the problems are not serious enough to require a recall and may not be safety-related. May be BMW is just to upgrade certain components on the rear brakes. This campaign relates to 02 325i cars, not just the AWD models as they all have the same brake system. This doesn't relate to 330i models.
    The parts have come in today and the affected cars will be shipped to dealers by Friday or Monday. Seems everything is being taken care of now about this rear brake rotor problem.
    Hope this information is helpful.
    RH, thanks for that information.

I'll be taking my car to the dealership soon anyway for some other stuff and may want to have this taken care of.

Do you by chance have some identification number for this campaign that I can refer to when I talk to them about it?
  • jpnwdcjpnwdc Member Posts: 42
    I am considering a new 325i. I have a few questions:

1) I understood that BMW's (included) scheduled maintenance did not include wear items such as brakes. The sales manager at a local D.C. area BMW store said that the program now includes brakes. What is the real answer?

2) In the D.C area, what is the typical selling price over invoice?

3) My only concern with this car is the seats. I wish they were more adjustable (i.e. lumbar, seat bottom angle), but to get the better seats you need to get the sport package (which living in the city I most definitely do not want). What are other peoples experiences with the seats? Do they just take some time to get used to or do most people agree that they are not one of the 325i's strengths?
  • tenet1tenet1 Member Posts: 354
    1) Brakes are included in the scheduled service if they are worn out, but most brake changes are usually neeed after the free service is over.

2) I bought mine at a local DC BMW dealer for about $1900 over invoice in Sept. Other were quoting about $2000 over, so it is safe to say that this is the case.

3) The seats on my non-SP dont bother me at all, though I will say that they could have been a bit more comfortable for long journeys. I am usually too busy enjoying the drive to notice.
    I have a 325 (xi, not i) and wouldn't dream of having it without the Sport package. You get the better responsiveness and bigger tires than the standard. I have found on the roads I drive (not the best in the world) that the suspension is not the rigid that it jars your molars into submission. It rides REALLY smooth and precise.

Having said that, I think you will find that most people on here will tell you that you should get the SP, and will at some point regret NOT having it.

The seats I have are manual (I didn't get the PP). But the adjustments include:
    back and front, height adjustment, back angle adjustment, and seat angle adjustment. If you get the PP with the power seats too, you also get the lumbar adjustments.

If you are unsure of the SP, take a drive on a 325 without it and then one with it and decide for yourself. I suspect you will feel quite a difference.
  • mfeldmanmfeldman Member Posts: 140
    After reading your posts, I'm gonna order Klasse all in one. What do you use to apply it. Also do you use any other of the Klasse products?

Enjoy the 530! Btw I understand that its steering is better than the 540, which has less feel do to recirculkating ball vs rack.
    When I ordered my Klasse last summer, it came with a funky applicator pad, which worked great. That said, just a good old cotton T-Shirt would work well too.

I have heard the same thing about the Recirculating Ball steering from the 540i as well, however, the folks that drive the 540i every day seem to think that it's just "Splittin Hairs" to say that one is better than the other. Since I have not (yet) driven a 540i, I cannot offer any first hand comments, that said, the steering on the 530i that I drove reminded me of the steering on my 1999 328i, that is to say, perfect. ;-)

Best Regards,
    Shipo
    I don't have any more information concerning cars so affected. However the most recent productions must be part of this campaign, so you should ask them when you are in for service.
  • ds2k1ds2k1 Member Posts: 101
    I have a 330i with PP, but no SP. So, I have the power seats with power lumbar, but not the sport seats which have an added thigh adjustment and more pronounced side bolsters. I would have gotten SP, but unfortunately I have a very steep driveway and the lower clearance on the SP model was a concern (it would grind into my driveway every time - amazing what 1/2" can do). So, I've sampled both seats. I'll give you a quick summary of my findings:

PP seats - I have no problems with these seats and find them quite adjustable and comfortable. However, you can't adjust the tilt of the overall seat so you end up sitting pretty flat, if you know what I mean. Overall, a very comfortable seat, but not perfect. I've noticed no problems on long trips, for what it's worth, and I'm average size (5'9", 155 pounds).

SP seats - now you're talking perfection. The thigh adjustment/support REALLY adds a lot to the overall comfort, and I thought the more pronounced side bolsters were absolutely perfect for a person my size; they really hold you in there without being at all uncomfortable or binding. You'll see many people on this board say that the SP package is worth it for the seats alone, and I would have to agree.

Also, just because you live in the city, I wouldn't let that scare you off of SP - from what I've heard, the suspension can handle the ruts of city streets with no problem. It really is an awesome option and I'd definitely have it if I could. I'm going to have to move before I get my next car, because I can't bear the idea of not having SP on my next Bimmer.
  • nsolanonsolano Member Posts: 11
    I have been watching a 2001 330i languish on my local dealer's lot for about 5 months. It is a loaded 5-speed but it doesn't have the sport package (I suspect this is why they can't sell it). The sticker is $39.5 and the invoice is $35.4. Any thoughts about how low the dealer would be willing to go on this vehicle?
    Hmmmm, I would start at $36,000. Good luck.

Best Regards,
    Shipo
    I can testify that Shipo's car looks brand-new from any distance. It is an amazing fact considering he regularly runs it through automated car washes. Klasse seems like a classic case of work smart, not hard.

nsolano - Based on recently published sales numbers, dealers are having a toughER time moving 330's. Add to that the fact that this car is a manual without the sport pack and that may explain why it is still on their lot. I'd check the miles on the car - if it has less than 20-30 miles, I'd start at invoice. The more miles it has, the lower I would go below invoice. Good luck.
    I have the manually adjusted seats (no adjustable lumbar support) in my 325i SP and I find them reasonably comfortable. They snug you very nicely and hold you tight under aggressive cornering. That said, I have to sit totally straight in them to be comfortable. If you are the type of driver that likes to slouch in the seat or even recline the seat back while cruising on the highway, these seats will not be totally comfortable (all IMO, of course). That said, they are still more comfortable than the base seats (the thigh support is my favorite!!). I feel like I am sitting IN them. With the base seats I felt like I was sitting ON the them.
  • hfbhfb Member Posts: 18
    I'm pretty sure that you can not get lumbar support on the 325 - even with the SP or PP option. Please correct me if I'm wrong.
  • 1pierce1pierce Member Posts: 284
    I spent the weekend tooling around in my brother's 2000 323i, PP, SP, Step, heated seats, leather. This was the most time I've ever spent driving a 3-series, and these were some of my impressions:

He had his snow tires on the car (16" wheels-standard w/SP in 2000). I was shocked at how good the car felt. I was expecting less than stellar handling, and I got limited tire squeal and cornering that greatly exceeded my expectations. Probably due to the SP suspension. These were Blizzaks(sp?). Maybe a we bit noisy, but that is purely nit-picking.

The seats were also more comfortable and far less cramped than I expected - although I wasn't wearing a top coat, jacket and tie. I didn't think about the seats once, which is the mark of good seats.

This has totally upset my buying plans. I was going to forgo the SP to get a quieter, more comfortable ride and save money on snow tires and rims. But now, I think I might really want the SP. If I go that route, I have to totally rethink my configuration, since I can't afford the SP and the PP.

Two other small quibbles. The standard stereo was definitely less than what I am used to (Bose unit in my Maxima). I know I won't be satisfied with it, so I have to get the HK. Also, this car could have used a little more power, especially on take-off. This will hopefully be remedied by the extra 14 HP of the 325i. Of course, I could get the 5-speed, which would solve all of the power issues and save me enough money to buy the SP and the PP - but I'd have to get a divorce - and the alimony and child support would eat up my payment money!

I guess I'll just have to drive the SP and non-SP, and decide at the last minute. I had really hoped to nail down my decision before I started visiting dealers. Question: Has anybody traded a '99-2000 3-series on a 2001-02 w/the added HP? If so, what do you think of the difference?
  • hfbhfb Member Posts: 18
    I have asked this before but would like some additional comment on why BMW does not offer more wheel & tire choices for its cars. As an example, you can only get 205/50/17 tires on 330xi - why won't they give you a wider choice like say the 225/45/17 wheel/tires they give you on the SP option for the 325? Or, why won't they let you select the 225/45/17 wheel/tires that come with the 325 SP as a separate option for the base tires on the 330i just to offer more choices (besides the choices that come with the 330i SP package)?
  • dave330idave330i Member Posts: 893
    For less money than the HK system, you can get a better after market stuff (granted you'll still only have 6 speakers).

With regards to step & wife, how often will she be driving it? If she might drive once a month, I'd say argue for the 5-sp.