Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

BMW 3-Series 2005 and earlier

Comments

• asinger12asinger12 Member Posts: 3
    2002 325i. My rearview mirror has the clown nose on it (functioning alarm) and a little hole at the top center. It has no compass, but does appear to automatically dim headlights behind me. When looking at the BMW Accessories
    catalog (page 45), my mirror seems to be a cross between mirrors D (mirror with compass which also has a little hoe at its top) and E (automatic dim
    mirror which has no hole). Questions are what kind of mirror do I have and what's the function of the hole? Thanks, Adam
  • bbell4bbell4 Member Posts: 34
    Negotiating for my 325i - the sales rep is telling me I need to pay $150 for BMW required advertising and $160 for required BMW training. I said WHAT???? Those figures were not in her original figures. I mean, it's only $310 but hey, that's $310!! Has anyone ever HEARD of these costs? Why the hell should I pay for their advertising and training?
  • patpat Member Posts: 10,421
    ROFL!!!

Actually, having quit smoking 7 weeks ago, I'm afraid I'm probably going in the other direction!!

:)
  • soupie1955soupie1955 Member Posts: 9
    those charges are something I have never heard of and I don't think you should pay them. I paid about 1400 over invoice with no extra fees whatsoever
  • gurumikegurumike Member Posts: 442
    Your talking about the "systems and training fees" , right? They are included in the base invoice price. i.e. if you look on the Edmunds price pages at the dealer invoice price, it includes that fee, without actually stating so, because it's part of the BASE invoice price. Only on the dealers invoice does it break it down that far. In other words, if you pay $1500 over invoice (using Edmunds as the measure of invoice) that would be the same as $1500 over the dealers invoice.
    As far as the advertising fee, each region has a different advertising (or "MACO") charge. They range from $150 to $350 ($400?). It is a bone fide charge on the invoice. I believe there's a paragraph in the Edmunds explanations about this fee.
    So even for the advertising fee, you are saying it's included in the base charges -so I should NOT have to pay for it again - right?? The invoice price INCLUDES it?
  • postoakpostoak Member Posts: 537
    An invoice usually consists of a "base" charge, which all dealers pay and an advertising charge which not all dealers pay, and which varies in amount anyway. On the window sticker you will probably see the base MSRP (which should agree with the figure here at Edmunds) PLUS the advertising fee. It is best not to get too hung up on the breakdown of a dealer's "cost" and concentrate instead on the drive-out price of the vehicle.
  • john01john01 Member Posts: 246
    that is the light sensor for your auto-dimming mirror.
    Is 35,000 out the door for a 325i, sliver blue, 5sp, PP,SP,HK and xenons a fair price? No window tinting but they are giving me mats.. big deal! I still think it's a bit high but I don't want to nit pick TOOOO much!!
  • derprofiderprofi Member Posts: 250
    I know you could get a similarly-equipped 330i for the same price via Euro Delivery. But I'm not sure whether that's a good price for a US 325i equipped as you specified...
  • leenelsonmdleenelsonmd Member Posts: 208
    You guys read me wrong above. I have noticed that everyone on this board has remained rather polite and allowed for each of us to be individuals rather than road rally purists. Despite the politeness, I noticed that no one ever mentioned getting the Park Distance Control and so I was trying to encourage those who want it to come out and admit it.

There is no chance I will get it. I have run out of money for options and would not want the sensors to blemish my slick looking tail.
  • leenelsonmdleenelsonmd Member Posts: 208
    I went and test drove the 330i sedan with PP, SP, 18" wheels, Steptronic, and Xenons in Steel Gray mtlc on Friday at Momentum BMW in Houston.

This happens to be the exact vehicle that I want and I was surprised to find one that I could test drive.

I took a couple of friends and WOW, was it awesome. The car was incredibly responsive and cornered like it was on a track. The salesperson was hanging on in the back seat with beads of sweat pouring off his head. He loved it though. The test drive sold me and both of my friends on this vehicle. All three of us are going to go with the 18" wheels.

The drawbacks are: The tires are a little more expensive--not much difference if you buy ZR rated tires for the standard package though. Also the spare in the trunk is a pathetic donut. I am not sure why they do this except that it is a way for them to save some money so they can offer Ultrahigh performance tires (Michellin pilots) and high performance rims for a mere $900 upgrade.

I took my wife back later that afternoon to drive the car and she was overwhelmed. She thought it drove like a race car and was concerned that it might adversely influence my driving style. Nevetheless, she agrees that it was impressive and has given me approval for the venture.

My salesperson at Momentum was great. If any of you are in the Houston area give Ray Waguespack a call. His direct line is 713-596-3290. He is the most junior salesperson there at Momentum, but he is a real gentlemand and is down to earth and extremely honest. Despite all of this negotiations at the Houston group of dealers is difficult since they are all owned by the same person. Give him a call, though if you need to purchase it in Houston.
    Sorry I couldn't answer earlier, I was at work. No, the invoice price does NOT include the advertising fee. The base vehicle invoice price on Edmunds includes the misc fees (training & systems) but not the MACO (advertising) fee. Your dealer can tell you what fee applies in your area. Sorry I didn't make that clear before.
  • seivwrigseivwrig Member Posts: 388
    I purchased my car from Momentum. I would like to know if they budged from the MSRP. I got $700 off but that was basically backing out all the stuff they put in. The dealer services fee that is on the form is a bunch of bunk. I do not want VIN etching because I don't think my insurance company will cut me a discount. I really think that you pay for the mats in the dealer services fee. My dealer(Jim Phelan) he is a gentleman too but there is something about Momentum that I cannot put my finger on.
    The thing that is funny now, is that I told postoak not to buy his car in Houston. He is now the wiser man. Yes, he will not get a BMW loaner when he goes to BMW North for service but who cares, he got a better price. Mr. Nelson, when you go down to Momentum again, ask about the track behind the dealership. I wonder if you can just go out there and drive. Just thinking out loud.
    I think there's been a little too much discussion of the systems and training fee. Forget about them. They only appear on the dealers actual invoice from the importer and are of absolutely no consequence to anyone, quite frankly, not even the dealer. "Internal" cost on a set of BMWs own floor mats, in carpet, are $97.50. Or was it $92? Anyways, that's how much higher the 'dealer cost' on the car is. The window etching (or "Etch-a-Sketch" in car business speak) is an utter waste of money and cost the dealer absolutely nothing, really, to perform. It's pure profit and a total have on. Do you get the impression I don't like it? The paint protection packages that the dealer offers do genuinely cost real money to do as it takes 2 good detailers half a day (4 hours) to do. This is "Mop and Glow" in dealer speak. The products cost a little more than average other polishes etc. And they come with a long warranty. Expect to pay $300-$400 for that service. If you do this, I'd suggest keeping the car for a few weeks after taking delivery (it will be freshly polished & waxed) as the car needs to be totally clear before they can start! Dealers asking silly numbers like "Teflon Paint Coating - $795 are just absolutely having a laugh. If it's aledgedly already on the car, just say that you're not interested and not buying the car at all if they expect you to pay extra. You won't get the warranty of course. May be it's worth paying something for it. The biggest point to look for is the document ('doc') fee. $45 is normal as far as I'm concerned. But $50-100 is basically being greedy and looking to squeak some extra profit into the deal. I have heard of some dealers sliding $500 doc and prep fees past napping clients (not sure if this practice occurs at any BMW dealers).
    $700 off MSRP on a 'new price' car is not a bad deal.
  • 1pierce1pierce Member Posts: 284
    I have a question for those of you who have leased your BMW's. What up-front costs, in addition to cap cost reduction (which is down-payment) did you have to pay as part of your deal.? Was there a security deposit?...Origination fee?...anything else, other than license and plates? I'm going to try to get the car for $1,200 below MSRP. I have an additional $1,800 to put down, so I've been using $3,000 off MSRP for my calculations on the BMWNA site to compute my lease cost.

Am I in for a surprise when I start negotiating? Am I looking at $500-700 of my three grand going toward something other than reducing the cost of the car? This could make other financing options (including an interesting credit union lease-type plan) attractive alternatives.
  • brave1heartbrave1heart Member Posts: 2,698
    I had my first autocross on Saturday and I am so humbled, I honestly don't know where to start. The course must have been ~ 1 1/2 - 2 miles long. We had the opportunity to drive slowly (5-10 mph) twice before the first run but it was not nearly enough for me to memorize all the turns. The turns come real fast when you're going 60+ mph out there and it's easy to get lost in the sea of yellow cones... I didn't get comfortable with the course till the sixth and last run of the day. The pinnacle of the day for me was the third run. I was coming out of a long sweeper going ~75 mph (no time to look at the speedometer but guesstimating by the gear and engine sound) as the back end started coming out at the fastest section of the track. I didn't unwind the steering wheel enough and I started going sideways. I tried to save it by countering but I steered too hard and I spun 180 degrees. It happened fast, too fast. I was facing the track backwards as I heard the instructor say "You're still on course". I quickly turned around and somwhow I managed to finish the course. If this is the only thing I got out of the autocross all day, it would have been well worth the $20 I spent. It made me realize that balanced and predictable as my car is, it has its limits and I am just beginning to find them...

The first two runs in the afternoon were frustrating - I kept missing gates and although I walked the whole course during the lunch break and I thought I had it all mapped it out, I was still unsure about the course layout at speed. I got very lucky my last run, though: my instructor was the fastest guy on the track, who also happens to be the Boston chapter's president and an awesome coach, as it turned out. I told him that I need a lot of help with navigating and he confidently said "Don't worry about it, I'll get you through the course". He was actively using both hands to point me and kept me a step or two ahead on the course. I felt in harmony with the car and although I drove at only 80-85% of the car's limits, I was so smooth that I beat my best run's time by whopping 6 seconds (102 vs. 108). I was so exhilarated after the finish, it must have been almost 20 years since I felt THAT wildly excited about anything. I still feel humbled but very fulfilled and looking forward to all the fun that I will have while trying to improve my driving skills. Next page is the NHIS driving school.
  • beatdogbeatdog Member Posts: 6
    anybody have the experience that you can not
    turn your key in the ignition key hole?
    the only thing different that I did last time
    is adjust the steering wheel.
    now I insert the key and can not even turn a bit
    , just like I insert a wrong key. I try all the
    key that come with the car, non of them work,

please give some advice, thank you very much.
    Sometimes, usually after turning the steering wheel just before switching the ignition off, there is an excess of pressure on the rack because of the tires grip on the road. Try turning the steering wheel more forcefully in each direction while 'jiggle' turning the key. If it's not that and you get it to work anyway, you should have it looked at in case something goes out altogether.
  • beatdogbeatdog Member Posts: 6
    found it on owner's manual page 56.
    now I understand I need to read it carefully.
    got my new car only 4 days. :)
  • dave330idave330i Member Posts: 893
    That's a long, fast course there. At our autox, I don't get out of 2nd gear, and our lap time is around 60 sec +/- 10 sec. Can't believe you only paid $20. Our one day of fun cost $50.

Don't you just love the sea of cones. It takes a while to get used to. Don't worry too much about it. You should do better next time (I'm assuming next time considering what you paid for your helmet).
  • planomlplanoml Member Posts: 244
    are all over the place for the 1,2, and 5 series. You all know about the 7, and the soon-to-be-here Z-5. Does anyone know if there will be any changes on the 3 series soon?
    3 series redesign is scheduled for late 2005 as 2006 models. About the normal life cycle of BMW designs.
  • vkwheelsvkwheels Member Posts: 218
    I am thinking of getting a $15 Driving for Dummies type of book before plunking down $500 on a driver's training course. Anyone have any favorites? I'm decent, but my car, as an Ultimate Driving Machine, will be born to go on autobahns so I have to live up to its expectations. ;-) Brave1hearts's notes about auto-x sound thrilling & scary, sort of like doing the first black diamond run of the season I guess.
    Dave330i - how awful about the Pt. Mugu crash, but hope you had a good time at the b-fest.
    BBell4 - I have to pay a MACO charge too.
    echoing derprofi, 35K sounds a tad high. If I were in your shoes, 34K would be more reasonable.
    First thing you should do is take a BMW sponsered Car Control Clinic, then have some fun at autox. When you feel comfortable with autox, go for the high speed driving school.

P.S. I believe you've got me confused with someone else.
  • genie1genie1 Member Posts: 398
    brave:
    Glad you had fun...are you hooked yet? :)

brave/dave:
    The Trillium chapter of the BMW Club of Canada has events on the next two Sundays, but I don't think I'll be able to attend either event...the next one is mid-June...(don't know if I can wait that long)

Maybe, if I'm really good, and things go smoothly, I might possibly be able to attend the one on May 5...will have to wait and see. :)

What psi did you run your tires? Did they shred on the sides? Did you snag any cones?
    Sorry! I was browsing on the bimmerfest board and someone had your handle! I just assumed it was you. Yes, the bimmer school course looks great. They have one specifically for women but this one sounds like exactly what a regular driver would need/want in order to get better.
    It depends on your tire size. On my 17", I ran 42F/45R. This year, I think I'll go with 42F/43R. Find out what others are running at. That'll be a good starting point. Next, chalk couple places on your front tires (side walls), and check them after your first run. If too much's rubbed off, increase the pressure.

vkwheels: np. You learn a lot of useful things at BMW events, and it can be applied to everyday driving. What's scary is, after the driving school, you really notice how bad average drivers are on the road.
  • hfbhfb Member Posts: 18
    I would appreciate hearing opinions as to how the xi handles (cornering, braking, steering feel, etc.) compared to both the 330i and the 325i. Does it lose some of its BMW feel due to the all wheel drive?
    For those of you with z-rated 17" Contisports, how many miles did you get before replacing them? I've got little over 15k on mine, and it looks like it's time to replace them. Traction control is kicking in way too much.
  • genie1genie1 Member Posts: 398
    I have 16" Michelin all seasons that came with the car when I bought it (the same ones Shipo had on his 3er). I'm trying to let them wear out this year...I'll probably replace them next spring ('03) with something slightly more performance oriented since I swap for winter anyway.

Question regarding tire condition and placement: I have two almost new and two slightly more used tires on the car...which should go on the rear and which on the front?
  • twoof1twoof1 Member Posts: 308
    Dave,
    I have 25,000 miles on mine and there is probably another 5-10,000 left in them. Interestingly enough, while my tires are in good shape, it sounds like my front brakes are cooked. I'm making a service appointment today to have them looked at.
    What is everyone else experiencing in terms of brake pad life?
    Newer tires should always go to the rear for RWD & front for FWD.

twoof1: 25k?! I must be really hard on mine then.
    Dave - There are 7 more BMWCCA autoXing events that I'm signed up for this summer. Not only am I planning on attending every single one of them but I intend to finish in the top half. You are totally right about noticing how bad average drivers are on the road after attending these events. fwiw, my ContiSports have 16.5K on them and it seems like the rears will be good for another 5K or so and the fronts have 10-15K left easily. The wear is mostly on the outside threads for all 4 tires but the middle of the rears is worn out substantially more than the fronts. That 180-degree slide at ~75 mph must have been good for at least 2K miles. I ran 37/36 F/R in my 325i SP and I still had about an inch of rubber from the rim that did not touch the pavement during the skid. I didn't touch any cones - I was missing gates altogether by going on the wrong side :o)
    On an earlier post it said doc fees should be in the $50 neighborhood. My dealer wants to charge $189! What have others of you paid for the doc fee?
    Planning on doing any high speed driving school this year? If so, what are the track choices in your area? BTW, how many total laps did you get?
    A total of 6 timed laps - 3 in the morning and 3 in the aft. The organizers will be shooting for 7 or 8 laps per event going forward. Speaking of laps, I saw the coolest license plate: it read "ONE LAP" and the car was a dark green (British racing green) M coupe. That car is something to stare at!! BTW, cars on R compound tires were running about 6-7% faster per lap compared to similar cars on street tires!! E36 M3's were faster on average than E46 M3 but I'm not sure how much of that was attributable to driver skills.

I am going to New Hampshire Int'l Speedway on May 2 for an advanced high-speed driving school. The other choices were Lime Rock in CT and Watkins Glen in upstate NY. I missed the registration for the first one and the second one is a little far for me plus it's a two-day event and it's midweek... I figure 8 autoxing events and one driving school should be enough for a first active season. Needless to say, I will have no time for the kart league this year.
  • dej0dej0 Member Posts: 36
    The track course sounds cool. Doesn't the Boston Chapter club pres have an M3? He's a friend of mine and I knew he was eager to get his new M3 out on the course. Where is the track up there (I used to live about 1 hour west of Boston)? The folks down here go to a course in southern VA, but I haven't gotten the gumption up to try it yet. I seem to remember that there was a clause in my lease that said no racing, maybe even no AutoXing.

Ned
    Do you guys use your own cars for these events? What if you crash?
    I'm jealous now. You've got pretty good number of high speed tracks, cheaper, longer, & faster autox course, plus you get more runs in. Maybe it's time to move to Boston.

dej0: It's not racing. It's high speed driving class. ;)
    There's no real danger in autox. It's low speed, and done in a wide open area. You do eat up your tires pretty fast, and on rare occasions, eating a cone might do some damage to your air dam.

High speed school does have some danger associated with it for obvious reason. That's why car control clinic is required, you have instructors with you at all time, plenty of class room time, etc.
    Correction: my last instructor was the Boston Chapter Autocross Chair who has a yellow E36 M3 on racing tires and was pulling the best lap time all day.

I did not meet the Chapter president but that doesn't mean he wasn't there - I am new and don't know most organizers yet. The autoxing events this year are at Weymouth Naval Airbase, about 12 miles South of Boston.

vkwheels - Possibilities of a crash at an autoxing events are negligible, as the cars are about 25 sec apart on the track. Insurance covers non-timed events, incl. advanced driving schools from what I understand but let's not think about the worst...
  • dej0dej0 Member Posts: 36
    The track course sounds cool. Doesn't the Boston Chapter club pres have an M3? He's a friend of mine and I knew he was eager to get his new M3 out on the course. Where is the track up there (I used to live about 1 hour west of Boston)? The folks down here go to a course in southern VA, but I haven't gotten the gumption up to try it yet. I seem to remember that there was a clause in my lease that said no racing, maybe even no AutoXing.

Ned
  • woobahwoobah Member Posts: 21
    Here is the link to a German web site with pictures of the new 5 Series. It looks like it is really going to be cool. Scroll on down, and you can see the new 6 Series as well. Also, you can use google.com for translation. The Five series will be available in the fall, and will have either Idrive 2 or a straight manual transmission available, plus all the latest technology. I wonder what the price will be.

http://mitglied.lycos.de/bmwfanpage/id44.htm
  • delta9delta9 Member Posts: 4
    Does anybody know what the proper tire presure should be for 205/55/16 Continental tires on a 328ia?
  • allanoallano Member Posts: 175
    On the BMW, I don't believe you can tell the difference between RWD and AWD. Steering is neutral with no torque steer, braking not affected at all and cornering still has the feel of RWD (you can get oversteer before DSC cuts in). I would encourage you to drive both and see if you can tell the difference.
  • rube51rube51 Member Posts: 4
    The German article states that the new 5 model
    will be presented at the IAA show in Frankfurt
    in 2003 and to the German dealers in the Fall
    of that year.That does not mean we will see it here at the same time.So be patient.
    Best regards.
    rube 51
  • kominskykominsky Member Posts: 850
    I've got about 16,500 miles on mine and rears are done. The fronts on the other hand look like they could go another 5K or more. I typically run 33psi front and 37psi rear.
  • 1pierce1pierce Member Posts: 284
    Tires: You can rotate the 17" tires that come with the 325i SP, right? While they are directional, they are all the same size, and can go front to back. I think this is the difference between 15,000 mi and 20,000 mi for the set. Frankly, I'd be terrified by a sport tire with 25,000 mi on it - when I put that much mileage on HP all-seasons, they are like hot dogs on rims.

New 5 Series: I'm really happy to see a new 5-series. Overdue in my opinion, as I think the most recent 5-series was not enough of a departure from its predecessor, and therefore looks very dated. Also, this may entice some 3-series buyers to move up - thereby lowering sales of 3-series, and making pricing more competitive.

Auto-X: I admire the tolerance of you guys for aesthetic flaws in your cars. While it sounds like a tremendous thrill, that I'd love to try, you must occasionally side-swipe and plow over those cones. Even the slightest contact with a a rubber cone at 60 mph has to leave a mark on the paint. Frankly, I could never live with those kinds of blemishes in my everyday, $35,000 car. More power to you...Now, if I had a second car, just for auto-xing, I might be tempted to try it.