Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

BMW 3-Series 2005 and earlier

Comments

• riezriez Member Posts: 2,361
    dl7265... Yes, my wife has a '00 323iA w/PP. Now has about 29,000 miles on it. She bought it CPO with about 18,000 miles on it. So far no troubles with automatic. Computer says she has about 1,500 miles till next scheduled major service. My wife gets bored with a car after about 3 years. Longest she has ever had one continuously is 60,000 miles. I'm assuming she'll trade it in somewhere in the 60-90,000 mile range. (I'm planning on planting a bug on her in next year or so to start thinking about a CPO '01/'02 530iA w/Sport Pkg. I much prefer SP to PP. She'll want both. Maybe she'd get in late CY 2003 or early CY 2004. Is that evil of me?)
  • nyccarguynyccarguy Member Posts: 16,373
    [1] In Chicago with a capable set of all season or winter tires, you should be fine with a 330i in the white stuff. If you go with the Sport package equipped car (which comes with Z rated performance tires) you'll definitely need winter tires. If you've been having wimpy winters as we have had lately here in the northeast, then the standard all-season tires should be fine.

[2] I can't form an opinion on this subject.

[3] The only projected changes would be extremely minor like maybe a few different colors or juggling some options & packages. The 3 series sedan just received a facelift for 2001. Don't expect anything huge though.

[4] I have no idea about the navigation system.

2001 Prelude Type SH, 2022 Highlander XLE AWD, 2022 Wrangler Sahara 4Xe, 2023 Toyota Tacoma SR 4WD

• hgeyerhgeyer Member Posts: 188
    I also live in the Chicago area (N. Suburbs) and recommend the 330i, but after investing $1,200 in snow tires/dedicated wheels from Tirerack.com.

I had my 330i through 2 3" snowfalls last winter. With the DSC feature on, I was very pleased with the handling. Keep in mind that the base 330i comes with all-season tires that grip fairly well. If you get the sport package, the performance tires will not work for you in the winter.

Road noise - this took some getting used to, having come from a Volvo and previous to that, a Lexus. The 325i is quieter if the performance difference between 325/330i isn't what is driving your decision.
  • tenet1tenet1 Member Posts: 354
    [2] Yes, The 3 is wonderfully louder than almost all cars I have driven, but I think that you will be hard pressed to find a 3er that is quiet. It is the carefully engineered characteristic of the vehicle, that most Bimmer lovers cannot be without.

I am driving around a 626 in Chicago these days on business and it doesn't have the sporty sound to it. But, it also grunts while revving up and is annoying in my opinion.
  • hpowdershpowders Member Posts: 4,330
    Hey folks. Thanks for all your advice about the amplifier. I have the anti-theft radio code card from 1993 which contains both the code and the serial number of the radio.
  • canadian_galcanadian_gal Member Posts: 7
    I finally picked up my 330 on Saturday and I haven't stopped grinning since! Ordered the car March 23 and the wait was almost unbearable but now that she's here, it was all worth it. Forget the arguments about which colour is the best, or which transmission is best, or which package to go with, cuz once you are sitting behind the wheel of your brand-new BMW it is all a moot point. There is simply no bad choice - only personal preference.

Now, I think I might need to take a little drive since I haven't had my bimmer hit for the day. Thanks to everyone here for all the helpful info, and for welcoming me to the community!

BTW - steel blue 330, black 'ette, power seats (a waste of money according to my husband, but hey, it's my car!!), ski bag thingy, rain sensors, auto (again, not my choice - but my husband says I drive a stick like a maniac and he was concerned about my safety) no packages, but in Canada the car comes with bi-xenon, moonroof, etc. - I LOVE IT!!!!
    Hey Chris I took your advice and went to Zionsville and they list 4 radio amplifiers for the E36 325-all $125. How do I know which is right for my car or are they all interchangeable? If I call my dealer and give him my radio code could he tell me? The numbers used at Zionsville are 560, 136, 442 and 499. Thanks.
    Howard
  • ccotenjccotenj Member Posts: 610
    i do not believe that they are interchangeable... call the folks at zionsville, they probably will know...

given the experience you've had with your dealer so far, i'm not sure how forthcoming they would be with that info... although it's worth a shot.

good luck.

-Chris
  • dl7265dl7265 Member Posts: 1,381
    hmm ,A 540 and a 530 in the stable, sounds like a plan to me.

NYC : unfortunatly soon after adding the additional equipment BMW raised the invoice 1%. That said, i configured a 2002 Sport and found it about 300 less than my 1999 with simular options.
    I sill see a few of the 99's with those nasty OE hubcaps ACK. i know those folks were steaming when BMW added 16" wheels standard.

DL
    I don't know which is worse, those OE hubcaps or the 15" steel wheels on the 323?

canadian gal: Congratulations and well said. Enjoy your car!

2001 Prelude Type SH, 2022 Highlander XLE AWD, 2022 Wrangler Sahara 4Xe, 2023 Toyota Tacoma SR 4WD

• seivwrigseivwrig Member Posts: 388
    I have the Nav. It is not the best out there. It worked better in Europe than it has in the States. It is not easy to use, because my wife still fumbles with it.I like it but you would probably be better off and wait for BMW to go with a DVD based unit. I think that Nissan/Renault has the best unit out there.
  • raavirraavir Member Posts: 64
  • 1pierce1pierce Member Posts: 284
    For the guy worried about AWD performance: I test drove a 325i and an Xi back-to-back. The Xi seemed noticeably weaker on pull-out. Not weak, mind you,...if you never drove the non-AWD version, you'd probably never think twice about it. But, I noticed the difference. The 325i has more than adequate torque for low-end acceleration for my taste. The Xi left me a little wanting. Since I could not afford a 330, I would not have bought the Xi. That said, if you feel the need to have AWD, don't drive the 325i, and you'll still love the Xi.

I would liken the difference to the one most people experience between a 325i step vs manual. I needed an auto, so I didn't even bother to drive a manual (so Dave, I guess I'll blissfully never know what I'm missing).
  • 1pierce1pierce Member Posts: 284
    I guess we Americans just can't convince ourselves that self-denial is an acceptable concept. For a country with (what is Shipo's term?) "relative affluence", the idea of having our cake (a great RWD, 50-50 balanced, performance car), and eating it too (standard fog lights, 16" aluminum wheels, and whatever else we can get on an Acura) is not a ridiculous notion. We are after all, Americans (with all due respect to our foreign posters), we expect to have it all, and in most things/ways, we get it.

One other thing, for every one manual shifter who can burn through the gears like a race car driver, and make their transmission last 150,000 miles, I'll show you ten who jerk, stall, grind gears, and burn up the clutch by the end of the warranty.
    Thank you Chris.
    Howard
  • huntzingerhuntzinger Member Posts: 356
    What does this have to do with laziness and obesity? You took my example and showed were technology failed...

Sorry to have mislead you, but my neighbor's vehicle doesn't have backup sensors: it wasn't a technology failure, but pure driver laziness; if you prefer, call it driver neglect.

Insofar as obesity, I'm of the opinion that elements of our culture probably accentuate the condition. In looking for likely contributors, does not our "ride everywhere" Car Culture appear to be a contributor?

Personally, I added 10% to my body weight within a year after I moved out of the city and started driving everywhere in Suburbia, instead of walking. YMMV.

-hh
  • ccotenjccotenj Member Posts: 610
    no problem. let us know how it comes out. adds to the general knowledge base...

re: having our cake and eating it too. hey, i have no problem with that, as long as they are *options*, not *standard*. someone wants to "accessorize" their bimmer, more power to them. just don't make all of us buy it that way.

-Chris
  • brave1heartbrave1heart Member Posts: 2,698
    Congratulations!! You must be in heaven. I agree that it's little use arguing over options. Now that it gets dark much later and I can get out of work while it's still light out, I've been blissfully terrorizing some great back roads that I found here in the Albany area. Nothing like getting it up to triple-digits on a deserted curvy two-lane road on a beautiful evening before sunset!!
    ... auto manufacturers make standard, the less choice consumers have. As consumers, we welcome variery. I personally would rather have 10 different brands of shoes to choose from than go into The Shoe Store and having to buy the only pair of shoes that fits. Even if those shoes are Johnston & Murphy.
  • dan__2dan__2 Member Posts: 13
    i'm leaning toward the 325xi because unfortunately the 330 is just too far out of my league, and the xi because i live in MN where we have 4-5 months of warm weather and no possibility of snow (the other months are open game for snow showers!).
    One other question, the sport package says it comes with 17" all season tires but reading through some of the previous posts it sounds like i would need snow tires too?
    thanks again.
    standard all season tires coupled with BMW's DCS-X (Their AWD system) then you should be fine in the white stuff.

• mg330cimg330ci Member Posts: 162
    Yes, you can hear the engine/exhaust rumble (rhum, or something like that) it is not loud, but present, and that is one of BMW trademarks to me.

I actually turn the music down on purpose just to listen to the car revs as I accelerate
    Lets face it.

If you are going to spend 6h a day commuting bumper to bumper, and in traffic lights, then, perhaps you are better of an automatic.

Actually, accept the fact that you would be better of with a Lexus (Mark Levinson stereo, 0Db interior noise levels).

Get a Lotus Elise for the weekend :-)

Me, I just enjoy shifting for myself
  • pcbrspcbrs Member Posts: 57
    Hi-

So is there a significant difference between engine noise/music in a 325ci vs. a 330ci? Is it really noticeable? I really admire BMW power and handling, but prefer quiet interiors... since I like listening to music in the car. I'm trying to decide between the two, before heading to the dealer. Thank you for your help. =D

Jeff
  • shiposhipo Member Posts: 9,148
    If you want a quiet BMW, get the 5-Series, the only problem is that it is just a little too quiet to shift the manual transmission by ear. I am not sure what BMW did different between the 3-Series and the 5-Series, but you really have to lean on the 5er before you start hearing anything.

Best Regards,
    Shipo
  • jean7of9jean7of9 Member Posts: 192
    I have the same noise dilemma. Last week I test drove the 330xi for an extended period. I love everything in that car except the interior noise level which I find irrational for a 330xi price range. If all BMW drivers look for that level of noise then what is the purpose of the premium HK sound system which can be fully appreciated only when the engine is off. Also coming from a LS-430 or (E-320 in my case) does not help. I still love the car which is on top of my short list. May be some ear plugs will do the trick =(:
    Shipo: If there was any 540xi or 530xi, it would be in my garage right now. After three years of wonderful experience with the MB 4matic I would not buy other than AWD. By the way you have a nice car. What wax do you use?
    Jean
  • bmw323isbmw323is Member Posts: 410
    My 2000 323i is not as loud (exhaust) as the 2001 and 2002 models. I suspect that has something to do with a different exhaust set up that BMW used to get that extra 14 hp on the same 2.5L engine. I wish it had a bit more growl, but the pure engine sound is still sweet above 4,000 rpm.

Also, can anyone tell me if fog lights are standard equipment on the 2001 3 series? If not, are they part of the PP. In 2000 they were part of the SP.
  • soverypoornowsoverypoornow Member Posts: 74
    Just...oh my. Fun, fun, fun. Went out to dinner after picking up my car tonight. Drove to three different restaurants before finally stopping. "Um, no, this one doesn't feel right, let's drive across town to another one. Oh, this one isn't right, either. Guess we have to drive some more."

I firmly second everything canadian_gal said. I let my brother drive it tonight for a bit. I didn't go with him. I almost got as much pleasure watching my car drive as I do driving it. It's just a friggin' beautiful car.

Gushing complete.
    Rumor has it that the next iteration of the 5-Series (E60) will have the "xi" running gear as well, unfortunately that is still more than a year out, at the very least. :-\

Thanks, I use Klasse, both the All-In-One and Sealant Glaze.

Best Regards,
    Shipo
  • butmywifebutmywife Member Posts: 81
    Congrats! I'm happy for you. I hope you will be able to post a photo or two in the near future. ETA for our bundle of joy is still unknown but bmwna says it will be paroled from the VPC tomorrow. I'm guessing next Monday or so, assuming no damage on the trip over the pond.

I'll live vicariously thorough your 330 until then. Again, congrats and enjoy!

ButMyWife
  • pcbrspcbrs Member Posts: 57
    Hi-

Thank you so much for your thoughtful responses, Shipo, Jean, and Bmw323is. =) I really do appreciate them, and they will help me make my decision. I think the 3.0 liter engine is awesome, but realize it is a little louder than what I'm used to. I'll see what the other board members think, but I'm beginning to lean more towards the 325ci at this point. The cost difference between a 330ci and 325ci is about $3300 for me, which I can manage, but is it right for me? ;) I'm wondering what the other board members' opinions are. I would like to go take another test drive, but my academic schedule has become very demanding lately, and I really can't seem to get the salesperson (nice guy though) to stay quiet. Thank you again. The 5 series is a fantastic car, but I think I'm a little too young for a family sedan, just yet. =)

Jeff
  • allanoallano Member Posts: 175
    Fog lights (along with climate control, cruise control with four-spoke wheel) became standard on the 3 Series beginning with March production in 2001.
  • allanoallano Member Posts: 175
    Exhaust noise in the 330xi is noticeably louder than in a 325xi (wagon). With the 325 at speed, wind and engine note are about the same and not particularly noticeable. I hear the 330's growl at any speed.
    If you can afford it, go for the 330, you would not regret it. The increased power (I drove both before deciding) is intoxicating. (and hey, you never know when you would need to out-accelerate something!)

On BMW music, again, IMHO, the engine purrr! is addictive and improves your driving senses and performance, particularly when driving a stick.

Don't get me wrong, at the beginning, I accidentally almost passed above 4500 rpm because could not listen to the engine (YES, it is not that loud anyway) due to the moderate stereo music volume I was listening to.
    You must accept the facts, and compromise.

If you are 5'8''. you cannot be an NBA center, if you are 7'0'', you cannot be a guard.

If you wand 0 noise interior level (lexus trademark), perhaps you are looking at the wrong car and will be unhappy with a 3 series BMW.
    To be shown on next issue of R&T

When discussed with BMW representatives, these were the facts:

This new model will expand our line in order to be more competitive with our Japanese and some European rivals:

Buttery soft steering to better appeal north American taste (as compared to European BMWs).

Nice muffler restriction to decrease interior noise to 0db with a 3.0 liter engine and 190Hp

Only offered in Automatic transmission with simulated manual shifting by buttons in the steering wheel.

Buttery soft suspension, again for better appeal to north American buyers. This new and innovative suspension makes you feel like driving in a magic carpet.

Increased size and rear room.

New, low friction tires for silent riding and better mpg.

When asked what the letter L was selected, the answer was " L for BMW leisure series"

Price has not been disclosed yet, but will be competitive with the new models from the japanese competition.

When asked for a last remark, the german representative claimed "This will be the Cadillac of all BMWs"
  • canadian_galcanadian_gal Member Posts: 7
    Congrats on your new car! I'm glad to know I'm not the only newbie with a silly grin, driving here and there just for thrill of it.

I'm experiencing some withdrawal today though as my husband borrowed my car to drive to a golf tourney 2 hours out of town. I warned him that he better not park anywhere near another car or he is dogmeat! I'm stuck driving his 5-speed SVT Cobra today - hardly in the same class as the 330!

I have already used my zaino so of course it is raining today, but the car looks great.

Enjoy your new car, and remember, they say it gets even better after the break-in period - hard to imagine anything better than this though!
    Jeff: If you're really into the 330i as opposed to the 325i (which I would be perfectly happy with BTW), have you considered the European Deliver option? That'll erase a big deficeit in the prices. Many here on the 3 and 5 series board have had nothing but positive experiences with it.

This is pure speculation, but since Audi offers many cars in its lineup with Quattro, Mercedes-Benz plans to offer 4matic in the C-Class, S-Class, & of course the new W-211 E-Class (Shipo do I have the internal designation right?), that BMW would offer the E60 with DSC-X (maybe the new 7 series too).

Shipo as far as your observation about it being hard to shift your 530i by ear because the car is so smooth and quiet, I feel the opposite about my Prelude. Shifting by ear seems to be way too early (my car having a 7400 RPM redline and all). I know it is an apples to oranges comparison, but just though I'd throw in my $.02

• vkwheelsvkwheels Member Posts: 218
    I am waiting for my ride to work because I sold my car. As of now, the delivery of new car is on schedule, will be Sat. I feel free without the car--no worries about parking, my keyring is light. OK, so I'm stuck & freeloading rides...The posts re: auto trannies wearing out after 80-100K are worrisome. Maybe I should cancel my order and get another Nissan.

Canadian Gal & SoVery: congratulations!! Are you going to continue hanging out around here?

Tranny & Fitness: very amusing discussion. Pictured a hard body gracefully emerging from within a gleaming 3 or 5 series. For some reason he was driving without a shirt, so his 6-pack abs and toned pecs were on display... Just a little fantasy! ;-)

MINI: Red with white top and tan interior would be great! If it came in a purple or violet color, that'd be good too. Yes it is soverysmall. Can't imagine my mom trying to get into it.
  • tcn2ktcn2k Member Posts: 277
    My 325i finally needed its first oil change. I brought my 325i in and they gave me a 330i fully loaded with PP and winter package. First i notice the engine was a bit louder, beautiful sound! The steering, my goodness, stiffer then what i have! My 325i is an 04/2001 and the 330i loaner was 08/2001. I am JEALOUS of the heavier steering!!! What in the world was bmw thinking when they made the steering softer?
    Off the lot, i crank it, this car has so much HP and torque that i was just in ahhh as it presses my back into the leather seats. You can easily spin the wheel just a bit during cornering before the dcs kicks in. What a ride!
    At 80 i can pass another car easily without haveing the rpm go above 3500 rpm. Amazing vehicle. I saw an brand new acura 3.0 cl pulled up, i cranked it and blew his vehicle into my rear view mirror. What a joke!
    At the end of the day, i got my 325i back, i was glad to see my little baby again. The power is enough for an average joe like me, but now i understand what most people are talking about when driving a 330. The price for that much power is too much for my taste, but hey, if i can afford it; i'd do it.
    I just got back from london and paris this week where 3 series was at every corner. BBC at the hotel, showed the 3 series rated the highest. Third best selling country for bmw 3 series is in the UK. They tested the 318i, which is the same as the 325 and 330 but with 4 cylinder engine. Rated best vs. other competitors. So interesting to me to see 3 series with steering wheel on the right side in the UK.
  • ttennttenn Member Posts: 11
    I am ready to order a 330Ci. However, I made an offer to John Roberts BMW for $1200 over invoice and they flat out refused. Any other places y'all (I'm from Texas) would recommend. I tried to e-mail the place in Tyler, but their server was down.
  • jean7of9jean7of9 Member Posts: 192
    Is the "L" available for the 3 series like 330xi or applicable to the 5 only. That will be a welcomed choice for a 03 330xi, at any price.
    The interior noise can be decreased substantially for the 3.0l engine but technically will never go down to 0dB while the engine is running at idle. Just for reference the noise level of an A4 3.0l at idle is 50dB while an ES-300 is 47dB. BMW will not be able to reach 47 dB without substantial redesign to the engine and cabin. By the way the level of A4 3.0l at 60 MPH is 73 dB while Jaguar-X 3.0l is 74.
    The main reason for the success of Corolla during the last ten years is that Toyota are using the same multilayer alloy of Lexus on their Fire Wall at a hefty price. Aston Martin found it cheaper to use Electronic Noise Cancelling Wave emitted through the speakers instead of re designing cabin and engine.
    Shipo: Do you have the data for BMW? It is hard to find any such data from BMW or MB.
    Jean
  • postoakpostoak Member Posts: 537
    Better to just call my salesman, Jeff Sims, at the Temple dealership: 254-771-0128. I just got into their website though. You might also want to try the Tyler dealership and the one in Beaumont.
    Sorry, just the general stuff from the rumor mill.

Best Regards,
    Shipo
  • jmestas1jmestas1 Member Posts: 4
  • nerdnerd Member Posts: 203
    You can call the dealer in Tyler at 800-306-8891. FAX number is 903-534-5972. The BMW salesperson/manager is Dave Hill; his extension is 307. My wife had a great buying experience there. (I think their server is permanently broken.

BTW, a couple of weeks ago he had a couple of convertibles in the showroom. Both had the special cinnamon color leather seats. Wow!
    I'm currently in the market for a BMW 3 series, but i wanted some input whether or not to go for a fully loaded 325ci or go with a 330ci with less options. Specifically I'm looking at a 325ci w/everything including navigation or a 330ci with sport package and sunroof, xenon, and upgraded stereo. They are roughly the same price. Does anyone out there have a BMW Navigation system? I'd really appreciate some input as to whether or not it is worth the extra 2K. If BMW made a 325Ci with AWD I'd be in heaven. Thanks for any input!!! Should I be looking at a IS300 or G35??? It seems as though there is so much competition in that market segment, but BMW seems to be #1 on everyone's list.
  • dan__2dan__2 Member Posts: 13
    take those cars out for a test drive. i did not like the IS300 at all, but the G35 was OK. G35 exterior is nothing compared to the BMW though, and frankly the driver/road connection just isn't there on the G35 like it is w/the BMW. The G35 coupe looks pretty good in the pictures, i wonder how that will drive. i'm no expert by any means, these are just my personal impressions.
    ... as the chlorine for the gene pool: it sends the Camry type driver back to Camry instead of contaminating the 3-series ownership pool with more passengers. Same with the heavy steering and everything else that adds to the sporty feel. You take these away from the 3-series, you end up with just another average boring car that ends up with no brand loyalty in the end. fwiw, my 325i has a lot more growl now at 21K miles than it did back when it was new. You need to be able to hear the car so you'd connect with it better. Idle and coasting noise are almost non-existent. Just the way it should be - it's the engine growl that matters.

mg330ci - lol, that was a good one.

allano/bmw323is - all true. In addition, the sport package was reduced by $100 to $1,400 with the '01 MY model.

dan__2 - The G35 couple looks great on the pictures I've seen so far. I think it will be a viable competitor for the 3-series coupe.

jmestas1 - what do you want a BMW for? Because "BMW seems to be #1 on everyone's list" is not a good reason.
    Brave1heart, I started driving on a 87 taurus and quickly moved up to a 95 maxima, i'm looking at a for something that fun to drive and makes me feel i'm connected to the road. The body roll in the maxima is too much and the steering is loose. I'm 23 and have dreamed of owning a BMW ever since I was in Germany traveling on the Autobahn, the cars can flat out move. I'm going to be putting roughly 60% down, and am inticipating spending 40K. My major question is whether or not it is worth it to pimp out a 325Ci, or to go for the bigger engine. I'm not a big fan of leather, so i'm perfectly content with the leathette. I'd go for a 325Ci with sport package, xenon, manual tranny, heated seats, navigation, sunroof, ect.., the other option is a 330Ci, with the sport package, xenon, sunroof, and upgraded stereo. The 325Ci is a bit cheaper but i'm willing to spend the extra $$$ to get more HP. My father owned a 911 Turbo and swears by them, but for now i'm looking at the 3 series. I'd love to jump into a 530i but as it is i'm already over spending. Any thoughts????