Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

BMW 3-Series 2005 and earlier

Comments

• brave1heartbrave1heart Member Posts: 2,698
    Thanks for your help on the remote unlock. I tried what you guys suggested and it worked fine. As usual, you can blame it on the user (me in this case :o)) I was trying to get the windows to go down with the first click and when that didn't work, I tried holding the key down for the second click but probably not long enough.

erickpl - The slower you accelerate, the easier it is to feel the gas pedal stickiness. If you sink your foot in, you can't tell regardless of the weather and humidity. When you move your foot slowly, you feel little notches in the clutch travel - mmm maybe about 5-7 notches for every inch of clutch travel. It does not really hinder performance but it is hugely annoying once you are aware of it.

brislance1 - vanity should be the 8-th deadly sin :o) I hope BMWNA does not pay for replacing leather that is "a tad" worn out prematurely.
  • stokdgsstokdgs Member Posts: 65
    Yes, you have hi-lited the dipstick correctly. I have never had it just at the H line when going to the dealer, they always put the rest of the 7th qt in and it takes it up to the top fluted part of the dipstick, by the way I have an '02 M Coupe. DanF
  • laurie54321laurie54321 Member Posts: 2
    I need some honest advice before I purchase a 3 series. I live in the Northeast and at times we have poor weather conditions. Different car dealers are telling me different things and I don't know what to believe.

When did BMW improve the traction control of the car? Were the changes in 1999 or 2000?

Can you provide some history of the 3 series performance in poor weather?
  • bmw323isbmw323is Member Posts: 410
    Laurie, BMW has done several different things to improve or add to traction capabilities. On the E46 3 series in 1999 they had only traction control (correct me if I'm wrong) which prevented rear wheels from spinning. Then in 2000 they added dynamic stability control which controls both traction and sideways stability. Then in 2001 or 2002 they added something called dynamic traction control (I don't know how much different this is to the DSC from 2000).

All fancy words for an excellent traction system. In my opinion, I'd rather drive this car in snow than a FWD. However, I highly recommend a set of good snow tires. And ground clearance is a factor for any car in deep snow.

I've been driving for over 30 years. In the 70's (before FWD), living in Wisconsin, it was assumed that everyone switched to snow tires in the winter (back then, only on the rear wheels). Today, even with huge advances in snow tire technology, and far superior traction, most people (even in bad weather climates) don't want to buy snow tires. We truly are becoming a society of one-size-fits-all.
  • ccotenjccotenj Member Posts: 610
    how's that mcoupe running, my man???

check this out...

if you are at 66k with it, it should have had an inspection 1 done at 60k...

if you don't have any service history on it, i'd at least get the brake fluid and coolant flushed, as well as an oil and filter change...

and of course, as always, have it checked by a bimmer tech before you buy...

-Chris

• nyccarguynyccarguy Member Posts: 16,418
    "We truly are becoming a society of one-size-fits-all."

Sad but true.

laurie, where in the northeast do you live?

2001 Prelude Type SH, 2022 Highlander XLE AWD, 2022 Wrangler Sahara 4Xe, 2023 Toyota Tacoma SR 4WD

• erickplerickpl Member Posts: 2,735
    Brave, I assume you mean accelerator instead of clutch. :) But that is EXACTLY what I feel.

Thanks for clarifying this. I thought I was feeling the same thing, but wanted to make sure so I don't look stupid when I go to the dealership.

Did you have the TSB number for this so I can refer them to it when I take it in? It's not that I don't trust the service department, but the more I can give them, the less they have to think about it and more likely to get it right the first time.

Thanks,
    -Paul
    Yes, I meant the accelerator instead of clutch - thanks for correcting me.

I don't have the TSB number but twoof1 posted these parts a few days ago: "My receipt shows 2 parts as follows (this is for a step equipped car not sure if it is the same for a stick)
    35-40-6-762-480 Pedal Module
    35-40-6-756-720 Adaptor Plate"

BTW, I hit the backroads last night and had a lot of fun - it was a nice cool evening, just perfect for driving! I discovered that the only thing more fun than driving on desolate backroasds in the woods is driving on desolate backroads at night with the high beam on. The road was narrow and there were tall trees right off both sides of the road - it was spectacular!!
    I asked the dealer about fixing the seat belt clicking noise but they told me that the bulletin that is out does not fix the problem and the few times they followed it, it actually made the clicking noise worse. So basically, they don't want to do it. Does someone have the latest on this fix? Thanks.
  • postoakpostoak Member Posts: 537
    My salesman, Jef Sims, with Garlyn-Shelton, Temple, just called and said my 325i arrived today. It was going to be a bit of a problem for me to get over to Temple because we have out-of-town company, but Jef solved that problem by offering to drive the vehicle to my home! It should be there in about 3 hours!
  • vkwheelsvkwheels Member Posts: 218
    I have a few snapshots of taking delivery. Only 1 of them is noteworthy. I'm stuck in the olden-days of 35mm film, so I'd have to get it scanned to post it. Someday...a future project. I have mixed feelings about using my own car for driving school. We'll see.
    I belive someone here (maybe a few people) have done something where they pulled the panel off and taped some felt to where the seatbelt is hitting against.

2001 Prelude Type SH, 2022 Highlander XLE AWD, 2022 Wrangler Sahara 4Xe, 2023 Toyota Tacoma SR 4WD

• ccotenjccotenj Member Posts: 610
    the only thing that is even MORE fun is to be able to look up and see the sky while you are doing it... :) nothing beats a ragtop on a nice summer night...

i hear ya on the high beams though... amazing the difference it makes....

-Chris
  • kdshapirokdshapiro Member Posts: 5,751
    That is in comparison to the black M3 coupe fully optioned out that I sat in. I went to the dealer to pick up some stuff and decided to see what was new on the showroom. There was this M3 couple, I couldn't help to have a seat and check it out. Even though it's a 3 series, it screams performance inside and out. And then I went and sat in my car. I think my car had M3 envy.
  • locke2clocke2c Member Posts: 5,038
    vk,

when you go to get your 35mm film developed, ask about having it put on kodak photo cd. it's cheaper than prints as I recall... don't remember for sure honestly.

-Colin
  • ttdudettdude Member Posts: 4
    Just wondering if anybody knows about how long it takes a BMW, once it has been built, to go from Munich to the west coast. Thanks
  • laurie54321laurie54321 Member Posts: 2
    Back to traction....

To answer your question, I'm in the NYC tri-state area. So we get snow, rain, and a mix of ice, snow and rain. I'm getting out of my A4 lease and am said to see it go. Going from Quattro to RWD SEEMS like a big adjustment, but is is? Do the tires really make the difference?

....AND...will I really notice a difference between a 99 or 00?
    Those of us here in the tri state area think that you should be OK with all season tires because we've been having somewhat wimpy winters in the last few years. If you live in Jersey, Long Island, Westchester, or Rockland, then you sould be OK with the All Seasons. If you live a bit further north say in Orange, Putnam County, or Connecticut, I'd advise on Snow Tires. But if you're used to Quattro, then I'd say invest in a set of winter wheels & tires.

Tires make a HUGE difference. My friend who has a 2002 Audi A4 3.0 Quattro w/ Sports Package (Z rated Tires) can't go anywhere with his car in more than a dusting. Quattro with Z rated tires means that all 4 wheels will spin instead of just the rear wheels.

The snow tire debate has been gone over quite a few times on this board and in my opinion it is a good idea to get a second set of wheels with snow tires.

I'm a firm beleive you can get by with RWD. Having spent a few years in NYS snow belt country with RWD and FWD cars, I'd have to say FWD has the edge. If that is your paramount concern you will have to weight it. I have a 330i in the NY area and I'm wondering what the winter brings.

Some of the past snow falls where my Jeep would just laugh at the snow, I might have to think twice about taking the 330i out. I would defintely feel safer with a 300xi, but I choose not to go that route. The traction control should help the fishtailing somewhat in the snow.
    ttude, I ordered my 325xi on January 3, 2002. I received it March 8, 2002 and I live in soCal. So, just a little over 2 months... give or take a bit.

brave, I also heard about the felt lining fix, but cannot remember where I read it - on here or on the 5 Series forum. Maybe the 3 series problem forum might have something about it. Yeah, the drive at night with trees blazing by ya... nothing better. Just watch out for animals and idiots. :)

-Paul
  • maransmmaransm Member Posts: 29
    Hello,
    I am in the market for a new car. So after researching, I came out with
    2003 Honda Accord EXV6 - too simple
    2003 Nissan Altima V6 - Poor interior material
    Passat GLX - why not 325xi if just few grands more
    325xi - Wowww....

All those car are good in their own way, but my dream car is a Bimmer. We are just 2, so we don't care for cargo space.. I live in Colorado, so I am sure I need AWD with traction control.

Questions:
    1. What would be the least price I can get 325xi for? If it is going to be quite a bit less than MSRP, I don't mind going for 2002s. I live in Colorado. So if I get a good deal, I don't mind picking up in about 500 Miles radius. The lowest offer I got was $1400 less than MSRP for a 2002 325xi.

2. What is really needed and not needed in additional packages? My requirements( I think ?!!) are,
    - Leather
    - Heated seats
    - Sunroof
    - Folding rear seats ( for my skiing trips)
    - Navigation ( I don't know if I really need it though !)
    - Memory seats would be great since my wife is 5.5 and I am 6.1

Please let me know you thoughts and suggestions..

Thanks
    I just had to get on here and praise my salesman for the pleasant delivery experience I just received. He drove the car 189 miles, to my house. Unlike some others who've done ED, my car had been immaculately cleaned and prepped, inside and out. The car had a full tank of gas -- presumably with his money! And, in addition to all the goodies from BMW, the salesman, Jef, gave me 4 nice BMW key chains, a T-shirt, 2 expensive baseball caps, and 2 ball-point pens. He also had retrieved the European rear plate for me, unbidden, so that I have both front and rear. This is, by far, the best car buying experience I've ever had.
  • maransmmaransm Member Posts: 29
    congrats !!!

Which one did you buy and how much did you pay for it?
  • purchasingsoonpurchasingsoon Member Posts: 74
    I would add sport seats to that list (sport package). i didnt think the seats would matter that much but now that i have the sport seats i absolutely love them. I also have leatherette instead of leather and i think it is just as nice. Its an easy way to cut corners on $$$. No one has notices it's not real leather unless I point it out first. Good luck with the purchase! I am very satisfied with my 325xi. Plenty of power for me.
    I did a 325i ED back in June-July. I dropped the car off at the Harms office in Amsterdam on July 12 and it arrived at my dealer on August 22. I paid $1200 over invoice.
  • psotopsoto Member Posts: 4
    ttdude, it took about 45 days from the time it rolled out of the factory in Munich to Port Hueneme, then to the dealership in Encinitas, CA.
  • loubctloubct Member Posts: 39
    I have a dilemna on 2003 330I I want to purchase. SP, Heated seats, Xenon lights are a definite. Question is what are thoughts on Premium package. Don't really need sunroof although it would be nice. What are your experiences with leather vs leatherette. From what I gather sport seats are power and have memory mode I would like to take the money and invest in snow tires as I live in the Northeast Your thoughts
    I have a 325xi as well.

I actually got mine BELOW invoice, due to some issues with how they built it (they left off the premium package, which had the memory seats). It worked out, so I can't really address the pricing.

If you live in Colorado, you might also want to consider the Audi Quattro's. Their AWD system is excellent and it is a nice car. So you should feel confident driving in CO winters and on your ski trips. It was our second choice behind the BMW.

If I were you, I'd probably opt to get the roof rack that bolts into the roof. Much easier and cleaner to haul skis and boards. You won't get snow, salt, gravel, etc inside your car when transporting your winter toys.

I will second the choice for the SP. With the twisties you get in the CO mountains, you'll never regret it!

Leatherette is a good choice for saving a big of coinage, and it looks great. I opted for leather though (wife's choice).

If you get the premium package, you will get your power seats, sunroof, the wood trim, and center armrest (for 2002). The package changed a bit for 2003, but I can't remember what all beyond the center armrest. With the power seats, you get that memory setting you want.

The sport package will give you great seats, a sport suspension, a few little cosmetic changes, and 17" wheels which are REAL easy to clean. :)

The cold weather package will give you the folding seats (which I really like) and the ski bag (which I have never used). You also get the electric bun warmers and the spray thingie for the headlamps. Cool thing about that is when it sprays, it is actually heated a bit to help melt snow/ice, that may form while driving in adverse weather.

If you want a better nav system, opt for a 2003. It will be DVD based in 2003; 2002 is CD based and from what people on here have said, not the best. The Japanese cars offer better nav systems. You might want to consider an aftermarket one instead if you choose a 2003.

When considering 2002 vs 2003, remember that while 2003 is a bit more, you also get an additional 1 yr/15000 mile extension to the base warranty... something to consider.

Whichever your purchase, enjoy it. Consider YOUR needs and wants over what anybody on here, including me :), say. Some will tell you that to have a true BMW you have certain things, but go with what you want and need and can afford. Any way you go, you will love it. And when you consider an option, consider the costs over the life of the payments you are making. It may cost a bit more now, but over the x years you are paying, how much does it contribute to your payments? Consider that one.

Good luck and enjoy your choice! :)

- Paul

http://community.webshots.com/user/skimblz_ (my 325xi).

2002 325xi

Oxford Green/Natural Brown

SP, CWP, 1/2 PP

xenons

XM radio, tint

• joes230joes230 Member Posts: 94
    Whether 4WD/AWD is more effective than winter tires+2WD was studied thoroughly in a May 1999 Car and Driver test: http://urlizer.com/00/1366/

They took two otherwise identically-equipped Audi A6s, one quattro and one FWD, and tried them with and without winter tires. The bottom line is winter tires made a bigger difference than AWD, although AWD+winter tires would be generally best. However the extra weight of AWD negatively impacted braking vs an identical 2WD car. Winter tires may be non-optimal if your winter includes several thaws and extended above-freezing periods. The article also discusses that.

Here's another recent article on AWD vs winter tires in Car and Driver:

http://urlizer.com/00/1365/

-- Joe

Let's compare apples to apples though. In my opionion in order of best traction and control: full time 4WD with winter tires, followed by AWD with winter, followed by FWD with winter, followed by RWD.

The reason the Porsche did well is the same reason FWDs do well. The weight of the engine is over the tires.
    The PP includes a lot of unnecessary items that are not only a waste of money IMO but move the car's optioning much closer to grocery getter's than a sedan with sporting heritage. I have the sunroof and I love it but it also takes away some headroom. The leather smells better and breathes better but vinyl is close in terms in functionality and almost indistinguishable in terms of looks. The memory seats and bun warmers add unnecessary weight to the car but if you live in the NE I'd recommend the bun warmers, as the vinyl gets pretty cold. I got them as a separate option and I am glad I did. Dump the unnecessary "luxury" and get the SP and snows instead - more fun per dollar spent!
  • 1pierce1pierce Member Posts: 284
    Picked up my 325i yesterday afternoon. The salesman said they had to wipe down the exterior everyday (it sat for three days after detailing while I cleared my schedule to pick-it up), because so many people were looking at it and touching it. He said that four people offered to buy it for full sticker while it sat waiting for me. He may have been blowing smoke up my butt, but I did see several people walk up and look at it while I was filling out my paperwork. It can all be explained by the red color, he said. I just can't understand why more people don't order red, when you see how beautiful and exciting it is on the lot.

I haven't had it long enough to begin a critical analysis, so I'll defer that for a week or so. I am still getting used to the feel (which is dramatically different than my Maxima), and am still in that hypersensitive new car driving mode where you can't totally relax and appreciate all aspects of the vehicle.

In honor of finally being a BMW owner, I vow not to engage in this round of AWD/FWD, Snow/All Seasons, and PP/SP/Luxury/Sport debate. I make no promises about the future, though. All that I will say to those posing questions is: Your initial thought about what options/configuration to order is probably the one that will make you happiest in the end. Don't get talked into something you don't really want/like/or need.
  • tcn2ktcn2k Member Posts: 277
    You have to have memory seats if you are married. Change the seat back to the exact position is a pain!
  • riezriez Member Posts: 2,361
    tcn2k... You are absolutely correct! Memory seats are the best thing to happen to couples since TV remote controls!
  • abcnycabcnyc Member Posts: 101
    The 330i PP provides 2 main features (moonroof and leather) and other niceties (e.g. rain sensing wipers, auto dim mirrors, etc. I opted to not get the PP because I would never use the moonroof. We have one in our Acura MDX and we never use it. I realize there are many who love the moonroof, so it's a matter of personal use and taste. The leatherette looks as good as the leather, and initially it's hard to even smell the leather because of the "new car" smell. The power seats come standard on the 330is. I spent my money on the SP, CWP, and xenons.
  • genie1genie1 Member Posts: 398
    Wow, so you've finally got your dream car. I'm sure it's gorgeous. :)

Congratulations.
  • genie1genie1 Member Posts: 398
    I spent 2 hours riding my brakes in rush hour traffic the other day and noticed that since then, the brake pedal seems to travel halfway to the floor before engaging. I can still stop on a dime, but my foot (and the brake pedal) travels a lot further before retarding motion.

I'm trying to get a service appointment next Monday, but was looking for info. Any ideas about whats wrong?
  • jbreez1jbreez1 Member Posts: 46
    Picked up my 2000 323i yesterday morning at 9:15 am. I now fully understand the enthusiasm of BMW car owners. Although I have wanted a bimmer for years, I finaly made the purchase for what I would like to think are purely practical reasons.

1. It is a solidly built/ safe car.
    2. The BMW has a high resale value.
    3. The car has great handling/performance reviews.
    4. The BMWs are fairly reliable.

After driving the car for a day and a half, I now relate to the posts on this board and just have to say "WOW!" Maybe it was driving my Honda Civic for 150,000 miles that did it to me, but I'm having so much fun. The car is Black/Sand with a five speed, sport seats, sports suspension, 16" alloys, Leatherette (which I preferred in Orlando), moonroof (wouldn't have got it if it didn't come with it) power seats, memory, xenons, in dash CD, etc.

Just want to thank everyone on this board for all the info and let you all know that "now I know" what you are all speaking of when you talk of the "ultimate driving experience." There is only one problem: I can never go back!

Be well,

Joe
  • locke2clocke2c Member Posts: 5,038
    Actually when I was married, I didn't need memory seats. My ex- is 5'9" with a 34" inseam and I'm 6' with a 34" inseam. I sit a little closer to the wheel arms-wise than she did, but otherwise we didn't move anything but the center rear view mirror.

That was then. Now my girlfriend is 5'3" and my M3 has manual, massively adjustable seats. It's hell... power memory would be nice!

-Colin
    Please don't let manual seats get in the way of marital bliss :o) We both have manual seats in our cars and the few seconds that it takes to adjust them has never been a burden...We probably waste about 60 sec a month adjusting car seats...OK, I'll fess up - that's 60 secs EACH!!!
  • chewie5chewie5 Member Posts: 61
    The sports package on the xi's don't come with a sports suspension. I took this from the bmw website:

Sport Package

-spoke leather-wrapped multi-function sport steering wheel with fingertip cruise, audio, and accessory phone5 controls; 12-way adjustable front sport seats (includes 2-way headrests and thigh support); 8-way power front sport seats with 2-way manual headrests and thigh support; 3-driver memory for exterior mirror and seat positions; automatic tilt-down of passenger's side-view mirror when vehicle is shifted into reverse gear1; 17 x 7.0 Radial Spoke (Styling 73) alloy wheels, 205/50R-17 all-season tires

maransm--even without the sports suspension, I'd still get the sports package on the xi. As many have stated, the seats are wonderful and I like the look of the sport steering wheel better than the standard one.
  • silverprincesssilverprincess Member Posts: 75
    ...to clean black marks on your tan VINYL interior - back of front seats, doors, door handles, etc? It's so noticable when you have the sand/tan interior!

I use Lexol leather cleaner and conditioner on the leather and they work great! But what should I use on vinyl??? How about Lexol Vinylex on vinyl? Anyone recommend it, or any other brands?

Thanks.
  • 1pierce1pierce Member Posts: 284
    jbreez: Hey, that was rationalization worthy of a politician!

genie: Thanks. And it is gorgeous.

sunroof/memory seats: I'm using the sunroof more and more in the morning when it is cooler, and on the highway when I want air, don't wind rush, and don't need the AC. My wife likes a VERY different driving position than me, and I'm kind of anal about my seat position staying exactly the same once I find the right spot, so memory seats are something I appreciate.

Its been so darn hot here in Pgh this week, I haven't had the chance to drive the BMW during the day with the windows open, yet. I actually don't like AC - because it drags on the engine, and I like fresh air. But, its been soooo humid that I sweat with the AC off, and when it isn't hot, its raining too hard to open the windows.

brave: w/regard to power seat adjustment, some people have more tolerance for inconvenience than others.
  • john01john01 Member Posts: 246
    I hear it is quite popular among luxury car owners. I am told that Oxyclean (stuff on TV) works well on interior smudges, on most surfaces.
  • silverprincesssilverprincess Member Posts: 75
    ...to clean black marks on your tan VINYL interior - back of front seats, doors, door handles, etc? It's so noticable when you have the sand/tan interior!

I use Lexol leather cleaner and conditioner on the leather and they work great! But what should I use on vinyl??? How about Lexol Vinylex on vinyl? Anyone recommend it, or any other brands?

Thanks.
  • mg330cimg330ci Member Posts: 162
    Now I can't sleep any more.

All I want to do as soon as I get home is to take the oil level dipstick and admire its aerodynamic shape.

I wonder how many hours of wind tunnel testing took the German engineers to shape this thing!

Now I know how they got the Idea for the movie Signs!, the whole design came right out of a corn field!

My son believes it is a spaceship and wants to play with it all the time!

Now, if BMW doesn't mind, how about a simple stick with to marks, H and L, and send me a $10 check for the savings, so I can buy a couple of bionicle toys for my son in exchange of my oil level :)
  • vkwheelsvkwheels Member Posts: 218
    LOL, jbreez, I'd like to think I had the same line of rational line of thought you laid down... tee-hee! But seriously, best wishes for enjoying your new car! U R right, a part of me feels 'no going back'.

and pierce1, it sounds bee-YOU-ti-ful, with the accent on the second syllable. I love red, were it not for my last car being bright red and the fear of getting nailed by the CHP I would have picked it for meself. Congrats (finally, now, how exciting!) and best wishes to you for logging many satisfying miles in it.
  • mg330cimg330ci Member Posts: 162
    Now I can't sleep any more.

All I want to do as soon as I get home is to take the oil level dipstick and admire its aerodynamic shape.

I wonder how many hours of wind tunnel testing took the German engineers to shape this thing!

Now I know how they got the Idea for the movie Signs!, the whole design came right out of a corn field!

My son believes it is a spaceship and wants to play with it all the time!

Now, if BMW doesn't mind, how about a simple stick with to marks, H and L, and send me a $10 check for the savings, so I can buy a couple of bionicle toys for my son in exchange of my oil level :)
  • dave330idave330i Member Posts: 893
    It's been a while, but since things are pretty slow at work;

genie1: It could be something as simple as the pads being worn down. I'd check them, just to be sure.

Moonroof: I use mine regularly. It's great for cooling the car before getting into it.

Memory seat: With 12 different adjustments, not having it would bother me. It took over a year to setup my current driving position, and I'd hate to lose it.

Color: For me, red is a little too flashy. I prefer to blend into the back ground while driving on the HWY. M3 is a different story however.