Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

BMW 3-Series 2005 and earlier

Comments

• erickplerickpl Member Posts: 2,735
    Heck I've had mine since early March and I now have over 14,000 on it. That's 14,000 in less than 6 months. :)

I apologize for the err on the SP for the xi. Still handles great. :)

-Paul
    Dave, welcome back. Hadn't seen/heard from you in a while. Been rackin' up the miles?

-Paul
  • brave1heartbrave1heart Member Posts: 2,698
    Welcome back!! We missed you, bud! What have been up to? You disappeared right around the start of the World Cup - I thought you might have gone to watch it over there...
  • postoakpostoak Member Posts: 537
    I sold my Miata today and we went out to dinner in the bimmer tonight. I was careful in my selection of a parking space -- stayed well away from any SUVs. I finally parked next to a 325CI. When we came out, though, an SUV had replaced it. :(

Sometimes it seems you can win for losing. My wife's 7 month old, heretofore immaculate Accord V6 was bumped sometime in the last 24 hours. The bumper will have to be repainted. :(
  • maransmmaransm Member Posts: 29
    Thanks for all your replies for my questions and your expert suggestions..

Finally, I am considering 2003 325xi, Automatic, silver/black leatherette, SP, CWP, wood trim and xenon.

Questions:
    1. PP costs $2700. If I choose separately,
    Moonroof - 1050
    Wood Trim - 500
    Onboard Comp- 500
    ---------
    ---------
    Am I saving 650 here? What am I missing?

2. SP comes with power seats with memory right?
    3. If I want to go for PP, do I HAVE to go for leather?
    4. What is exact invoice price for 325xi?
    5. Anyone here in & around Colorado who got a good deal? Any good dealers around?
    6. If I order this month, when would I get delivery?

Help please!! Sorry for too many questions..
  • markjennmarkjenn Member Posts: 1,142
    I think you'll find that the PP comes with stuff beyond your three items and/or the cost of the items and PP changes based on what accessories you have chosen. BMW is pretty careful to get the packages to work out to be about the same as ala carte.

I don't know about xi, but on the i and ci, the SP does not include the power seats. If you look at the fine print, you'll see that the power seats mentioned in the SP option package says "if power seat or premium pkg ordered".

If invoice prices are not up here yet, you can alway just ratio last year's invoice to MSRP and be close enough to 2003 rations. Or they're bimmer.org:

bimmer.roadfly.org/bmw/pricing/2003/2003_325.pdf

It's all pretty academic anyway - my guess is that for a fall order of a new model year xi in Colorado, you're going to be paying MSRP or very close to it. If you can get $1K off MSRP, you're probably doing very well.

Good luck.

- Mark
  • maransmmaransm Member Posts: 29
    Thanks for all your replies for my questions and your expert suggestions..

Finally, I am considering 2003 325xi, Automatic, silver/black leatherette, SP, CWP, wood trim and xenon.

Questions:
    1. PP costs $2700. If I choose separately,
    Moonroof - 1050
    Wood Trim - 500
    Onboard Comp- 500
    ---------
    ---------
    Am I saving 650 here? What am I missing?

2. SP comes with power seats with memory right?
    3. If I want to go for PP, do I HAVE to go for leather?
    4. What is exact invoice price for 325xi?
    5. Anyone here in & around Colorado who got a good deal? Any good dealers around?
    6. If I order this month, when would I get delivery?

Help please!! Sorry for too many questions..
  • icstockbrokericstockbroker Member Posts: 1
    In the past I have always done a traditional auto loan on my BMWs. I am now considering a lease since I usually drive them a couple of years and move on. I plan to purchase a 2003 330i. Can anyone give me some advice on negotiating a lease? I am looking for money factors and residual values. I would consider purchasing some leasing software if anyone has any recommendations. Appreciate any help you can provide...
  • jrct9454jrct9454 Member Posts: 2,363
    ...elsewhere in this site. Start there.
  • locke2clocke2c Member Posts: 5,038
    The Edmunds homepage has many articles about leasing.

The higher a vehicle's residual value (as a percentage of original cost) means that on paper the lease should cost you less because you're using it less. More expensive vehicles cost more to lease, of course.

Weigh it carefully though-- a high residual also means the vehicle will have a high resale value. That could mean that you could buy it and sell again and perhaps expend even less money than with a lease. You'd have to leverage more of your money than with a lease though...

Bah. That's enough, there are lease-specific topics in other conferences here in TownHall too.

-Colin
  • abcnycabcnyc Member Posts: 101
    It's been almost 100 degrees here in MD for Aug, so this seems to be a premature question. But I would like some suggestions on winter tires. I have a 2002 330i with SP. I was initially considering going with 205/50-17 winter tires and wheels to match the non-sport 330 configuration. I figured the narrower tires would help me get through the snow. I am now thinking about going with 225/45-17 winter tires and wheels to match the 325 SP configuration. I thought the wider winter tires would keep the sporty ride while providing better traction than the summer tires in snow. We don't get a lot of snow in MD. Any suggestions ? Narrow tires for better handling in snow or compromise with wider tires for better dry handling ?
    first suggestion-- get 16" rims and tires, assuming there are 16" rims that will clear your 330's brakes. pretty sure there are, and there's no reason besides risking an expensive wheel to run 17" in the winter. wait, there is one-- vanity. I drive my BMW more than I wear it, sorry.

next suggestion, use a 205/55-16 winter tire. you can get one that's dry-road biased in that size if you're concerned about the squirmy feel a hardcore winter tire like a Blizzak MZ-02 would have. the Blizzak LM22 would be a good choice for that.

-Colin
  • purchasingsoonpurchasingsoon Member Posts: 74
    I'm taking my stock 17", all season tires through the entire winter (i'm in MN). I hope i make it alive!! I have the xi, i hope that helps a little.
  • richard52richard52 Member Posts: 41
    Interesting discussion! I have always driven FWD cars for their better performance in the winter as I travel from NJ to VT frequently and have had to call AAA numerous times to have cars put back on the road after they've been unable to make the hill on my driveway. Has the addition of traction control and stability control helped the 3 series ability to perform in winter conditions.
  • hiddendragonhiddendragon Member Posts: 22
    After one and half years visiting this board, I finally put an order today for the 2003 325i. I will become an owner of bmw soon. Thanks for everyone here for all the advice and information. I got PP, SP, Xeron, Leather, TSilver/black w/ 1650 off MSRP, no processing/tag fee, german production. Deal also includes the mats. I assume will get it on mid Oct.
  • bmwedbmwed Member Posts: 2
    I just bought a 2000 323CI and want to have a trunk mounted 6 CD Changer installed. The local BMW dealer quoted $865 which seems very expensive. A local auto sound shop quoted $392 for a Pioneer Changer but they indicated that they would have to remove the stereo and various panels to connect the changer. The car is pre-wired which I assumed means that the wires run to the trunk area. If so, then the sound shop does not know what they are talking about and I don't want them messing around on my car. I am pretty sure that the previous owner had a CD Changer installed but removed it when he sold the car. Any suggestions would be appreciated.
  • markjennmarkjenn Member Posts: 1,142
    You should be able to get the "factory" changer from places like pacificbmw.com for about $450 - you just bolt it in, hook it up, and it works. The wiring is just stuffed behind panels and is easy to get to, provided the PO didn't screw something up. The changer will come with directions.

Avoid the sound shops unless you're interested in going non-OEM system. They probably just want to sell the non-factory systems they're familiar with.

- Mark
  • div2div2 Member Posts: 2,580
    markjenn is right; it is a very easy diy job. DON'T pay over $450-$500(including the installation kit)- and it shouldn't take more than 30-45 minutes to install.
  • soverypoornowsoverypoornow Member Posts: 74
    So, I sent my 11 year-old off to camp this weekend. Woke up early Saturday morning, realized we were temporarily childless, looked at Soverypoor wife, looked at the 330i and thought one thing -- road trip. So, I ran out, quickly washed the bimmer, re-Klassed all forward facing, bug attracting surfaces, grabbed Soverypoorwife and headed spur-of-the-moment to Las Vegas.
    Now, those of us who have driven from So Cal to Las Vegas know all that is the 15 Freeway. Long, straight, middle of nowhere for about 230 miles (at least from my house). I had never done the trip in anything more powerful than a 318ti. Boy, does having the 330 change everything. Need to zip around someone? Slide the step over into manual, pop it down to 4th or even 3rd depending on the need and ZOOM! Slow moving trucks? No problem. Getting bored? Yippeeee! Even found one completely open space on a divided portion where I was able to set a new personal land speed record of 110 mph, held for a total of about 5 seconds before sense prevailed. Otherwise, we averaged 80 mph and at a surprising 28 mpg. Sunroof open, radio blaring, early morning in the open desert. It was awesome. And that, my new and possibly- relating friends, is why my 330i doesn't suck.
  • kdshapirokdshapiro Member Posts: 5,751
    I miss SoCal. Used to live in Newport Beach. Remember those road trip days though. :)
  • jrct9454jrct9454 Member Posts: 2,363
    ...out in the desert on the way to LV. Brief flings to triple digits will probably be fine, but do that for very long, and the Bear in the Air is going to tell the one on the ground that you are breakfast...
    The 325xi SP does NOT have power seats. :)

Leather is a separate option for the 2002 and is NOT part of the PP.

If you want invoicing info, check out KBB.com (Kelly Blue Book) and look under new cars. It gives you invoice for the packages and the possible options for the car.

-Paul
    Heck going 110 on the 15 is nothing anymore. If you go any slower, you'll get another car up your tailpipe.

Seriously, the speed on that highway is ridiculous especially before a long weekend (like this Labor Day).

But that drive is a fun drive if you want to be able to wind it up. Though going through Baker and seeing that thermometer over 110 isn't pleasant. :)

SoVeryPoor... I take the 58 from Edwards AFB and hop on the 15 at Barstow. You didn't miss us by much, though we were at Six Flags this weekend.

-Paul
  • stokdgsstokdgs Member Posts: 65
    Chris!

Sorry for taking so long to reply, been working way too many days/nights!! In any event, the M Coupe Rocket is doing very well, it continues to launch me to work every morning with great ease, and the accompanying adrenalin rush is way better than any caffeine product known today ! : ) Really appreciate the info you provided on what to look for on a '95 M3, found a couple of really nice ones in San Diego... I dont get over here much anymore since I dont have my '01 325i anymore, but glad to see that you are still out and about, helping us all, and imparting your great experience and wisdom. Thanks again ! DanF
  • dave330idave330i Member Posts: 893
    Thanks. I've just been extremely busy (still am). So busy in fact, I haven't had a chance to autox this season yet. :O BTW, how are your tires working out?
  • esq1esq1 Member Posts: 20
    My orient blue 325xiT spends the night in the garage. I'm considering getting a 325i to keep it company, but the new car will have to stay outside (I live in an old neighborhood with great trees but small garages). I love the steel gray, but I'm thinking it won't be as practical as the silver. Any thoughts? While I love polishing the orient blue, even something as small as tree pollen can make the blue look filthy and I try to avoid car washes to avoid swirls. I don't want to deal with that on two cars, especially when the second will be sitting outside 24/7. What do you think?
    I've had the Sumitomos for about 5K miles now.
    - they grip well in dry and wet
    - are very communicative. They let you know that they are approaching their adhesion limit ahead of the Contis but would allow you to corner 2-5 miles faster through most corners.
    - they are very transitional. If they lose grip, they do it progressively. With the Contis, you either have control or you don't... But to be fair, the Contis did have a high limit of adhesion when they were newer.
    - steering response is great
    - they are exceptionally quiet
    - the ride is very comfortable - it feels downright luxurious compared to the Contis
    - NO tramlinining whatsoever!

They felt a little floaty at first but got significantly better after the first 2-3K miles. Great tire for $106!!! The only drawback is that the sidewalls seems to be a bit too soft and handling would likely benefit from stiffer sidewalls but at the expense of ride and comfort.

I am doing another driving school at NHIS on Sept 6 and there also two more autoX events left this season.
    Once my Orient Blue pick up enough dirt, everything blends in nicely and you don't notice it any more ;o) I took off 5 weeks worth of brake dust yesterday - the car looked really mean and evil with the brake dust on!! I think that if your top priority in colors is finding one that hides dirt well, silver can't be beat!
  • marinbeemermarinbeemer Member Posts: 7
    Does anyone have a recommendation for tire chains, cables, or "Spider Spikes" for a 2002 325i sedan with 17" sport package wheels? BMW doesn't make them due to liability and wheel well clearance problems. "Spider Spikes" look like a great idea, but at more than $300, pretty costly. I live in the San Francisco Bay Area, so buying a set of snow tires and wheels to go to the Sierra a couple of times this winter is way too expensive!
  • abcnycabcnyc Member Posts: 101
    Any recommendations or feedback on the maintenance/service department from the following dealers in MD/VA ? VOB, Russel, Northwest BMW, Tischer, Sterling ?
  • mvt1mvt1 Member Posts: 1
    Could you tell me which dealer gave you the deal with $1650 off MSRP? Salesperson's name would help as well. Thanks.
  • jbreez1jbreez1 Member Posts: 46
  • jbreez1jbreez1 Member Posts: 46
    Sorry, hit "enter" after typing the title. Thanx to everyone for the well wishes. Jpierce aptly picked up on the "politician" verbage. I'll defer revealing my occupation. Congrats to Jpierce for the purchase. PGH huh? Originally from Youngstown. Many a night at the Syrian Mosque, dinner on the hill. I can't imagine the feeling of picking up that brand new bimmer you've been waiting for! Picking out the pre owned model was so much fun, I can imagine the angst in waiting for a new one.

Well, the first weekend went as predicted. Cleaned out the two car garage to provide the "Black Beauty" with a new home. Banished the cats to the patio (Leah would definitely sleep on the car). Washed and cleaned her at 7:00 am (the car not the cat)Sunday morning. Drove my wife 100 miles on I-95 to meet the daughter in Fort Pierce. 80 the whole way,listening to Bruce Sprignsteen and Smashmouth on the CD.

A good weekend...then the wife came home (Just Kidding, 19 years and going strong!)

Be well,

Jbreez1
  • kominskykominsky Member Posts: 850
    I'm starting to shop for my winter wheel/tire package and was looking for a little input on the wheels. While I would love nothing more than a set of super-light 18" HRE wheels on my car, for my winter setup I am primarily concerned with price and appearance. I've narrowed the choices down to M-Contours (wide 5 spokes ala E36 M3), 7 spoke style 44 (E46 325 sport-pack), or M5 wheels ( http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=1853015368 ). Any of which would be used or replicas. This is for a Topaz 330Ci coupe. Anyone want to offer opinions? I know some of you guys are full of them! LOL!
    On winter tires, don't you want a slightly narrower tire? If so, I'm not sure the M wheels would be right. I have the xi SP wheels which are a bit narrower, but should work well for winter use. (I don't remember the wheel number).

I have a BMW book with all the wheels if you want me to verify the # for ya. (they have about 10 spokes or so) and they look like the one in the BMW Photo Gallery of the blue 330xi (Post #7 - dcomeau).

-Paul
    Good point... I forgot to mention that all of the wheels I listed are available in 7.5" width which should work well with 225/45 winter tires (probably would work with 205/50's too, but I'd have to look into that).
    I am getting the Mille Miglia Spider. I am keeping my 325i for a while plus you save some money because the Rack will balance the tires for free if you ask them to.

http://www.tirerack.com/servlet/CallJsp?target=wheelSearchCloseUp&wheelIndex=17&sizeIndex=0&showRear=no

Does anyone have one that will fit under their car? If yes, brand and model would be helpful. I have two of them, but I can't get either one under the car at the jack points.
    I will be going through the tirerack if I get the M-contour replicas (AT Italia Type 5s). Right now I believe that's the way I will go, but was just looking at some options. The wheel exchange (the ebay link I posted with M5 wheels) also offers tire/wheel packages similar to TireRack (mount, balance, etc)
    thanks for the update. Since I haven't done any track events this season, I'm still running on the OEM tires right now (not for long though). I'm debating between Kumhos or S-03.
    Are Kumhos even comparable to the S-03's? If it wasn't for the fact that all of my vehicles needed new shoes this year and the Bridgestone's didn't fit the budget, they would have been my first choice. I like the Kumho's, but thought the Bridgesones would blow them away.
    It's the age old story of price vs. performance. If I get the S-03s, I might have to replace all 4, while only the rear with Kumho's.
    When I ordered the Kumho's from TireRack the guy I talked to told me they don't play well with other tires and recommended that I do fronts and rears at the same time. I was a little skeptical at first, but the tire guy at the place that mounted them for me (European Precision, Emmaus PA) said he had heard the same thing, too.
    Thanks for the info. I got to drive a friend's Boxster with S-03s on rear only, and the car didn't like it too much.

BTW, FWIW Boxster's a blast to drive. The clutch & shifter takes a lot more effort than a 3 series, but once you get used to it, it's not too bad. I really loved the short throw on the shifter. Makes the throw on the 3 series feel like it belongs on a truck.
    I had a coworker toss me the keys to his brand-new Boxter S last year. The car wasn't broken in yet so I refused and told him I'd take him up on the offer after it was broken in and he had a stone chip or two on the hood (I didn't want to be driving for the first one). About two weeks later he quit the company and moved away... another one of life's lost opportunities.
    I've not driven a Boxster S, just the regular Boxster back when it first came out. I loved the feel of it - it has that BMW magic, only a lot more of it :o)

kominsky - are you happy with the Kumhos?
    I am extremely happy with them, compared to the Conti's. Especially when price is taken into account. From everything I've heard and read, I still think I would've gotten the Bridgestones if my budget (okay, I admit it... my wife's budget) would have allowed for it.
  • bmw323isbmw323is Member Posts: 410
    I am also looking at wheels. What do you know about The Wheel Exchange? Are the wheels used? If so, how do you know what their condition is? They can't be new and sell for $599 a set in 17" size. I got a price from my BMW dealer for the M double spoke type 68's on the 330 sport package models and, even with BMWCCA discount, they were a bit over $400 each!
    Thanks.
    323is, I think the key part of kominsky's post you missed was this:

"Any of which would be used or replicas."

-Colin
  • mitchs3mitchs3 Member Posts: 68
    Made my purchase at Northwest, in Owings Mills. There service dept has been friendly and helpful. In fact I went to purchase a quart of oil for my 02 330i and to confirm the reading on the nutty dipstick and they even gave me the oil for free. Loaner unfortunately has been a rental from enterprise, but I'm told BMW loaners coming in soon.