Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

BMW 3-Series 2005 and earlier

Comments

• john01john01 Member Posts: 246
    True, the example I used will be unlikely to happen in the US. However, the replicas that are lacking in the quality dept. would be more likely to bend or crack when you hit that curb, or the pothole. Not saying that the "REAL" ones would not.

Indeed, it would be interesting to find out if there is any government mandated standard. I doubt there is.
  • riezriez Member Posts: 2,361
    kominsky... Nope, not affiliated with Ross Publishing or the magazine. My only connection is that I'm a subscriber. I've really enjoyed the publication. Just wish I would've subscribed from the beginning. The back issues I'm missing are a bit pricey if you order them. Think Bimmer nicely compliments Roundel. Both are great sources of information and fun to read.
  • kominskykominsky Member Posts: 850
    It's a shame we didn't have this exchange a few months ago. I tend to be a bit of a pack-rat until The Mrs. runs out of patience with me, then I start purging. In spring sometime, I got rid of a heaping pile of magazines which, I'm sure, included a bunch of Bimmer back-issues. It would have been nice to see them go to a good home instead of the recycling bin. How far back are you looking for? I'll take a look around over the weekend to see what, if anything, I still have.
    From TireRack -

"Though not enforced, there are quality standards to govern the production of wheels. Some countries though, like Germany and Japan, have government regulations requiring aftermarket wheels to meet certain criteria and ensure proper fit. The United States has taken steps to establish guidelines but it will be some time before they can enact regulation of any kind."

and

"Manufacturing processes and levels of testing are critical to a wheel's structural integrity. International quality standards such as ISO9001, QS9000, TUV of Germany or VIA of Japan, establish important production and quality standards that manufacturers must follow."

So it sounds like if you buy a wheel made in Japan or Germany or one that meets ISO and/or QS standards regardless of country of origin, you should be in decent shape, safety wise.
  • ttdudettdude Member Posts: 4
    The status of my ordered 330xi just went to "en route". I was just wondering if anybody knows about how long it will take to actually get to Seattle. Thanks
  • bmw323isbmw323is Member Posts: 410
    kominsky, lol about BMW magazine being a huge ad for watches - I agree. I wonder if there are watch magazines with huge BMW ads!!!

I am actually shopping for summer wheels. I plan to use the 16" V-spokes currently on the car with winter tires, and buy new 17" type 68's with new summer tires. I really don't want to spend an extra grand to get authentic BMW wheels. What about all the wheels tire rack sells for $150 to $250. Are these all of potentially "inferior qulaity" as well? How does one know? I think the Wheel Exchange was advertising their type 68's as being made in Italy - to premium standards. What does that mean? I guess I'll have to call them, but I don't know if I'll get any kind of straight answer from them. Anyone have specific knowledge?
  • john01john01 Member Posts: 246
    Look for the certifications that Tire Rack posts on its website as kominsky posted. See if you can find those ratings on the wheel description or talk to the sale rep. Tire Rack sales guys are usually knowledgeable and helpful.
  • widriver2widriver2 Member Posts: 36
    Hi,

How often do you check your air pressure in your tires? What air gauge do you recommend?

Karl
  • nerdnerd Member Posts: 203
    I check the tire pressures at least every two weeks - more often if there is evidence of a leaker. I use only a dial-type (bourdon tube) gauge equipped with a flexible extension and bleed-off valve. Such a gauge costs $20-25, but it is much more accurate than a pencil-type gauge. You can get one at autosportcatalog.com, just to name one place.
  • brave1heartbrave1heart Member Posts: 2,698
    Mine is an oversize dial-type Victor which I picked up at Target or Sears for ~ $10. It is very detailed and anything more expensive than this is overkill IMO. I also bought a $10 air pump at Target, which is essential for autoXing and the track. I check the air pressure before and during every event; for regular driving, once every 3 weeks or so.
    I was just spending some time at thewheelexchange.com and I'm getting a little concerned about their BMW replica wheels. They don't mention the manufacturer name (at least not that I saw) which would make it difficult to research what, if any, standards they're built to. They do, however, carry some very high quality wheels (Hamann, Breyton, Hartge, etc). If you do contact them, let me know what you find out (kominsky@agere.com). Thanks!
    I guess, so far, I'm the most anal about tire pressure. I check mine every Sunday and/or before any long drive. I use an Accugage (sp?) dial type (~$25).

Brave; now that you have the house, you'll have to get a ~real~ air compressor. Then, for portability, you'll have to buy a pickup truck and have your wife cart the compressor, and the AC generator you'll need, to all the track events... LOL!
    If I did that she'd send me to sleep in the pickup truck. She MIGHT let me come into the garage on real cold winter nights to warm up for an hour or so :o)
    "She MIGHT let me come into the garage on real cold winter nights to warm up for an hour or so"

Sounds like a keeper to me... LOL!
    kominsky... Please let me know if you found your unwanted back issues. I'd love to take 'em off your hands. Happy to pay PS&H. You should put your e-mail address in your Edmunds profile. My address is in my profile. Feel free to drop me a note.
  • leenelsonmdleenelsonmd Member Posts: 208
    Well I just ordered a 2003 M3 here in Houston. I probably can't afford it, but I figured that over the 6-10years that I keep the car the $13k difference between the M3 and the 330 would not mean too much. I gave the dealer a thousand refundable dollars and he said the earliest I could get the car would be late January 2004 and probably Feb. It was a tough decision between this and a well equipped 330 and I spent quite a few weeks agonizing the costs and benefits of each. Of course if my wife loses her job here in town this fall (as so many people in Houston have) then I will continue on with my very capable '95 325i.

soverypoor: I love to hear about the roadtrips. It sounds like the 15 to Vegas was great. I have found that out on the open road like that between 80-100mph is where the BMW really shines. I wish more would write in about their roadtrips--these are what make owning a bimmer so great. I told you about my last trip between Houston/San Antonio/Austin. When I got to Austin to meet my wife I had a cold sweat on my forehead and my heart was pounding. My wife thought that I had been fooling around on her and when she asked all I could say is that I love that car. Driving it hard (but safely) is exhilirating.

Let's hear about more road trips.

BTW: The new 350Z sounds pretty awesome (284HP, 275lb-ft of torque, 6 speed). I can't wait to see it and maybe drive it. I may outpace the M3 with that much torque.
  • purchasingsoonpurchasingsoon Member Posts: 74
    What do you guys think of these pics of the coupe? (see link)

I say, not too bad....

http://forum.e46fanatics.com/showthread.php?s=960c933c049173f673e20bc8c8529208&threadid=25979

• nissancarnissancar Member Posts: 9
    leenelsonmd:
    My dealer said If I order my 325i, it will arrive somewhere in nov. Affordability is also an issue for me as well as nobody is sure of the job! Do you know how much will one loose if you have to walk away from it?

All:
    Another question If you like...what is the difference between the bucket seats and sports seats. Actually I have never been able to understand exactly what bucket seats are in addition to lumber support? Thanks
  • butmywifebutmywife Member Posts: 81
    Mine took 8 weeks from shipping date to delivery into Yakima. It takes about 4 weeks to the East Coast and another 4 weeks down the coast, through the Panama Canal and up the West Coast.
    ButMyWife
    Congrats on the M3...but you are getting a 2003 M3 delivered in 2004??? Must be a different world down there in Texas. Around here the E46 M3 is finally getting to be a more normal buying experience without long waits. Every once in a while I see a dealer with a new one 'on the lot' for sale. If I ordered one now I would be driving it in 6 months or sooner. Will you get the 6 speed or SMG?

I got a letter in the mail today from BMW offering to send me a free BMW blanket for taking a test drive - cool! I'm going to see if I can get a test drive in an M3. If not, I guess I'll settle for a 330i or a 330ci, since that would probably be my next car anyway. Before this BMW I usually kept my cars for 5-7 years. Now I want a new BMW every year. Good luck with keeping the M3 for 6-10 years.
  • leenelsonmdleenelsonmd Member Posts: 208
    nissancar: The thousand dollars is refundable if I walk away. I made sure of this since my wife's job may be in question.

bmw323: I went with
    M3 Coupe
    Steel gray metallic
    PP
    HK stereo
    Xenons
    6sp
    Deletion rear spoiler
    Addons: Transceiver, Window Tint, Floor mats

There was not supposed to be a wait, and I was told the wait was not longer for an M than for a 3 series, but when it came time to actually put the PO in the computer, the dealership had already sold its M3 allocation through January (Momentum BMW). I could have gone to some of the other dealers in town, but my wife was happy to make me wait so I went ahead and anted up the money.
  • kdshapirokdshapiro Member Posts: 5,751
    Congrats on the M3. When I was at the dealership recently I sat in a loaded M3 MSRP almost 59K. That car dripped performance from every corner and angle. It is one of my dream cars. Hope you go through with the deal.
  • saturnfreak01saturnfreak01 Member Posts: 134
    Hello all

Does anyone have any details regarding the upcoming BMW 1 Series due out in 2004? Such as what the base engine will be? standard features? will it have BMW style traits for its base price of 25k? And most importantly, is a BMW that costs just 25k really a BMW? or, closer to an Audi or Volkswagen with the blue and white circle? Any info is appreciated..
    saturnfreak01... Believe there is a dedicated 1 Series Board here at Edmunds. Not sure if it is very active. You should check it out.
  • jean7of9jean7of9 Member Posts: 192
    I have been admiring for several days the new look of the 2003 3 series. BMW is introducing the New 03 in the last cover page of Time Magazine Canadian edition of 2 September 02. There are two noticeable upgrades: The lower air intake has a middle grill similar to the coupe. The fish eye signal light is narrower at the edge, making room for an additional side light. The exterior mirrors include a signal light flasher à la Mercedes. It looks very pretty.
    Jean
  • saturnfreak01saturnfreak01 Member Posts: 134
    Checked the topics under bmw, did not see any 1 series board... Guess the benz hatchback is the way to go.
  • visordocvisordoc Member Posts: 48
    That pic looks very much like the 2002 3'er sedan which already had the face lift this year. It doesn't make sense for BMW to make any more changes there again for 2003, other than the coupe which did not get the face lift with the sedan.
  • visordocvisordoc Member Posts: 48
    From http://www.bmw2002.co.uk/news.htm

1-Series News (3rd July)

New baby BMW for just £15,000 on sale in the UK from Mid 2005.

The new 1-Series should measure in at 4150mm in length & 1700mm wide, 100mm shorter than the current 3-Series Compact.

The two box design with it's engine mounted longitudinally needs a longer bonnet that it's rivals with transverse arrangement.

Thin framed doors give the new 1-Series a "Coupe" like appearance.

Production versions of the 1-Series will flaunt the sharp-edged look similar to the concept CS1 shown at the Geneva Motor show earlier this year.

Up to 5 different variations are planned, 3-door hatchback, a 5-door hatchback & a 2-door coupe.

UK Sales will now be delayed to mid-2005.

A four seater Cabrio & 5-door touring with higher roof, will get approval providing the main stream models are a success.

Engines will start with the 1.6, 1.8 & 2.0 litre petrol & will use BMW's Valvetronic system, later the Direct-Injection system form the V12 760iL may be used.

Two versions of BMW's 2.0 Litre common-rail turbodiesel engines will be alloy blocks with the latest Bosch injection technology.

M2 engine is believed to be a 2.2 or 2.4 Litre with electro-hydraulic valve actuation that allows it to rev to 9000Rpm & should produce 240Bhp. Costing approx £25,000 at today's prices.

The baby BMW is to built at the Regensburg factory.

• mwajmwaj Member Posts: 1
    my new car is on the lot and I can't get it till
    tomorrow !!!!! closed Holiday
  • jean7of9jean7of9 Member Posts: 192
    You are right sorry for my mistake in comparing the 03 to the 01's. BMW Canada sent me in May 02 a brochure for the 02 models. It is printed in 02- 2001 in Germany. That explains the dicrepancy. I sent an email to Pat asking her to delete my posting. Next time I will be more careful. Still waiting for 2003 Canadian prices to order one though.
    Jean
  • patpat Member Posts: 10,421
    saturnfreak01 - BMW 1-Series 2004/2005. You will find it listed under the "general" BMW category, but you are correct, there is no "1-Series" category yet.

Jean7of9 - check your email.
  • howardchuhowardchu Member Posts: 5
    From the Edmunds consumer rating, 3series has 8.6 and 5series has 9.2. I found a 325 with sport package and a 525 without sport package. Between these two cars, Can anyone give me some advise/insight about which one to pick? The price is 10K vs. 11K. Both look clean and very nice. I would prefer a more reliable one between these two. Any suggestions?
  • locke2clocke2c Member Posts: 5,038
    reliable? they have the same major mechanical components, so which one has a better service history and lower miles?

bmws are quite reliable when properly maintained, but all mechanical things will wear out.

-Colin
  • howardchuhowardchu Member Posts: 5
    thanks for suggestions. I'll check for service history.
  • vkwheelsvkwheels Member Posts: 218
    I got that BMW blanket--it's nice. BMW also sent me various gifties, like a pen, keychain, an invitation to some dealership event for new owners. One feels drawn into the circle, or the roundel as it were. On separate topic, the glass cleaner from the properautocare.com people is nice, really cuts through filmy surfaces. The Vinylex is great on my beige 'ette interior, for smudgy fingerprints, cat paw prints. Maybe there should be a discussion line on Road Trip Write-Ups. ERickpl--any info on the driving school lately?
  • seivwrigseivwrig Member Posts: 388
    I would write on road trips but it seems as though they are marred by the flying rock that finds my wind shield or hood. My last two road trips were from Houston to Milwaukee and Houston to Magnolia, Ark. One thing about my 325i, is that it gets better the more I drive. I also learn that I miss not having a sport suspension. I have had to drive Arkanasas twice and there are some real nice twisty roads. I assume that the sport suspension has less body roll. I'll be driving to Colorado for a week, at the end of this month. I'll give my view of mountain driving, pending I don't give my wife a heart attack first. I was going to fly but I can't see drive some inferior Malibu rental. An Impala on the other hand would not be too bad.
  • erickplerickpl Member Posts: 2,735
    vkwheels, how did you get the invite for all the goodies?

I want some goodies! I want a pen and stuff!

My daughter is taking the defensive driving class in two weeks. As for the performance driving stuff, I'm looking to take it next Spring (Father's day gift).

I've looked at the BMWCCA clubs for Los Angeles and the one out of Fresno. The LA club does quite a few events at Willow Springs, so I'm tempted to join up so I can take my baby out for a spin on the Streets... I think that would probably be a better way to go than to try and organize something myself.

-Paul
    ... with the family in the A4 this weekend, my 325i reminded me early this morning that unless I DRIVE it, I'll end up chasing it all over the lane. Especially with the sport pack which gives you a much better road feel and precise steering... That alone, I thought, should keep attracting buyers who like to drive and send away those who like to ride and don't want to pay a lot of attention to the car and road. I loved driving the A4 over the weekend (esp. in the rain) but my 325i feels so special, so playful the second you turn the ignition key!! It talked to me; it said "I missed you, bud. Let's play". And play we did. We smiled a lot. We're happy together.
    You may want to tone it down a bit. Your other half may find out you are having a relationship and you'll end up in that pickup truck you talked about earlier. :)

-Paul
    My wife and I will be heading back to Paso Robles, CA in October for our anniversary (kids are NOT coming this time).

I'm hoping to get up the PCH some more and maybe get a bit closer to Monterrey and play on Highway 46. When I get back, I'll hopefully have some fun driving stories to tell (won't tell about anything else) and maybe some pictures.

Maybe we should have a 3 Series Road Trip forum? :)

-Paul
    Heh, if you want one, just ask Karen -- she'll be happy to create a discussion for Road Trip reports on the Owners Club board.

But feel free to share here, as well. :)
    At this point, I am not sure if a Road Trip report forum would be worth it, though based on the numbers of people on here who have done ED, a BMW Euro Delivery Forum would be more than worthwhile and give one place to go for information/experiences/etc regarding that fabulous option (that I REALLY WISH I had done).

-Paul
    Yeah, that sounds like a good idea, also. Just email Karen and ask her create any discussion on the Owners Board that seems useful.

karen@edmunds.com

I don't want anyone to think I'm trying to chase this conversation out of this discussion, because I am not at all. Sometimes, though, it is easier for folks to find specific information in specific topics, rather than having to look through almost 20000 (yikes!!) posts here. That is one of the advantages of having an Owners Club.

:-)
  • seivwrigseivwrig Member Posts: 388
    Paul:

I have wondered the smae thing. An ED board would be very informative. Especially since more people ask about it. I have wondered why Bimmerfest or Bimmer.org don't have ED boards. If I can convince my wife to do ED again in 2004, I would like to gain more info from others. I would probably do a drop off In Amsterdam or Antwerp the next time. London just did not, it was easier for me but it took my car longer to get across the pond. I would also carry touch up paint with me.
  • dfnjdfnj Member Posts: 2
    I just ordered a 2003 325i last week. I got $1000 off (base price) sticker. Did I get a good deal???? I ordered the car with the options I wanted, it is being made this week.
  • maransmmaransm Member Posts: 29
    I am interested in 2003 330i, but I am sure what all the packages are really necessary/worth to put it. I am looking forward to keep the car for more than 5 years...

I live in Colorado, so I suppose I need CWP. I need Xenon and STEPTRONICS.

Do I need both SP and PP or any one of them should be fine? I am really tight in my budget since I started with 325i, then 325xi and came up to 330i.. I need to know where all I can save some bugs.

Please advice. I need to decide on this as soon as possible. Thanks..
    If I were to buy a new 3 series today - it would be a 330i (or 330ci) with nothing but the sport package. Add Step and Xenon's if you must, but the car is very well equipped in base form. If you are on a budget and you can live without all of the goodies, it is a great value.

Paul, the ED forum is a great idea. My next purchase will definately be ED and it would be very nice to have one source for information!
  • ccotenjccotenj Member Posts: 610
    re: wheels... if you really want wheels that are bmw wheels for the winter, you'd be much better off either going to www.bmwwheels.com and looking for used ones or hunting on ebay... there's a reason why those "replica" wheels cost 30% of real ones, and you don't want to find that reason out when you hit a 4 inch high piece of ice in the road one day...

look at it this way... you wouldn't play football with a "replica" helmet now, would you?

-Chris
  • locke2clocke2c Member Posts: 5,038
    but chris, a replica wheel is still cast aluminum just like the real thing. a replica helmet probably wouldn't be.

-Colin
  • ccotenjccotenj Member Posts: 610
    ok, so i stretched the analogy a little bit... :)

but as we all know, all cast aluminum isn't created equal...

i'm not saying there aren't good replicas... what i'm saying is that if you think you are getting something "just as good" for 25% of the price, i think you are fooling yourself...

-Chris