Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!
Options

BMW 3-Series 2005 and earlier

Comments

• Options
    chile96chile96 Member Posts: 330
    Leenelsonmd - Congrats on the M3! I heard the steering wheel pedal shifters are quite enjoyable.

I'm on call tomorrow then should have the rest of this week & weekend to have some cut-throat bargaining sessions! Actually, my friend suggested I fax each of the dealerships saying I am willing to pay 750 over invoice and the first one who returns my call/fax will receive my business for my order car. However, I am weary that they'll give me a price close to that then try and screw me on my trade-in when the bimmer actually arrives or start charging all these dealer prep fees, advertising fees, etc. Besides Houston, I guess the next closest dealership would be Austin and lord knows they prob won't deal. Let the FUN begin! HA!
  • Options
    gcarreiragcarreira Member Posts: 3
    How accurate are the delivery dates posted in the owner's circle web page?

Thank you,
    Greg
  • Options
    mschukarmschukar Member Posts: 351
    I recently had my Inspection 1. It was basically another oil change

This is what I don't understand. Why wouldn't they do the inspection 1 and reset the service indicator instead of having me come in for another service appointment in 2700 miles.

I get a free oil change, but it seems like a waste of 7 quarts after only 2700 miles.

-murray
  • Options
    seivwrigseivwrig Member Posts: 388
    I know for a fact that BMW North, Momentum, Advantage-Clear Lake and Advantage-Downtown will not budge. Like leenelsonmd mentioned, BMW North does provide better service. BMW of Beaumont will do slightly less than MSRP but not much. There is a BMW dealer in Bryan, they will do slightly less than MSRP. The only two that I know that will give about $1000-$1500 above invoice are Mike Pile in Tyler and Garlyn Shelton in Temple. If you value a loaner car when you get service, then you are stuck with the local dealers.
    If you want to a go with Momentum, I can suggest my sales advisor. If you go with BMW North, I know that LeeNelsonMD would suggest his sales advisor. Houston is a tough market to deal. Houstonians tend to like cars north of $30K, so there is always a dealer ready to relieve a willing buyer of their money. Also, they are a lot of 3er and 5er running around in Houston. So, it obvious that the dealers have no problem getting rid of their allocation with no more than a $500 discount.I only got $700 off of my ED 325i. I did not fuss and I really don't need the loaner because I have two vehicles. Also, ED is lower than the standard MSRP. If you want to get a BMW at a significantly lower price, buy outside of Houston.
  • Options
    Thanks for the input seivwrig. Loaner cars are a non-issue for me since I'll be moving to Atlanta this summer. I might just have to stick w/ BMW North then because I can't justify travelling 3 hr roundtrip to save $500 - wait did I just say that? hmmmm- maybe I'll reconsider. By the way LeeNelsonMD, who was your sales associate @ BMW North?
  • Options
    djocksdjocks Member Posts: 124
    i have not chimmed in in a while. i just figured i would tell a little about coming to work this morning. there is something truly unique about a BMW.

i drive a 2003 330i and coming to work today after getting off the highway i turned the radio off and listened to that beautiful music the engine sings. never in any car would i do this. it is something i do often and love the bavarian music!
  • Options
    motenor1motenor1 Member Posts: 35
    hello all,

i am planning to purchase a 325 2002 bmw with SP no sunroof for 27k, 31500 miles. what do u guys think. i am located in bay area ca?
  • Options
    djocksdjocks Member Posts: 124
    i have not chimmed in in a while. i just figured i would tell a little about coming to work this morning. there is something truly unique about a BMW.

i drive a 2003 330i and coming to work today after getting off the highway i turned the radio off and listened to that beautiful music the engine sings. never in any car would i do this. it is something i do often and love the bavarian music!
  • Options
    CrevelsCrevels Member Posts: 37
    Thanks for the lead. I'll be looking for the "Goo Gone" and let everyone know how it works out. If my biggest problem with a CPO BMW is having to figure out how to get the sticky sticker off, one should be so lucky.

Memphis10

Get the 325i with the SP and the 5-speed vs. the used 330 with the automatic. The driving experience is worth it (drive both to judge for yourself), but the 325 with the 5-speed might feel just a quick as the 330 with the auto. There isn't as much low-end torque, but the 5-speed allows you more control and you can keep the car in the power band.

Crevels
    2002 CPO 330Ci
    5-sp/SP/PP/Xenon/Heated Seats
  • Options
    shinbone001shinbone001 Member Posts: 12
    Mr. Shipo, I have been following BMW discussion over the severla months and I have enjoyed your input on Bimmer discussions. Now I need your help/opinion on my decision whether to buy or pass on BMW. I currently drive 99 integra GSR. It's been a wonderful car over the last 4 years. No mechanical problems. Although I am not a autocrosser, it seems to handle quite well and has plenty of power for me. Like many young and single professional, I always thought of someday driving a BMW but I am not sure if it's worth the money. It seems like people swear by BMW's handling and engineering. But as I test drove several 3-series and even the new Z-4, I can't seem to appreciate the Bimmer's supposed handling and ride. I mean... it feels solid and i know I am sitting in a bimmer but other than that, I can't seem to get too overly excited about the car. I guess I am just afraid that I might purchase a bimmer mostly based on its image or as a status symbol. I can buy the car tomorrow if i wanted to but i am still hesitant to make the move. help me. I would appreicate your input. thanks

SL,MD
  • Options
    I know I'm not Mr. Shipo but I thought I'd put my 2 cents in. First of all, I admire your down to earth common sense. Personally, if you don't "feel" it, I wouldn't suggest that BMW is for you at this point. The last thing you want to do is buy the car b/c it looks nice and others hype it up and then every time something needs tweeking/repairing, you'll muster unmentionables under your breath. I was in your shoes few years ago and decided to wait so that I could enjoy the full experience one day in the future if I wanted to. Worst case scenario, you wait few months(?) and get a 2004 which will have much higher resale value in 5 yrs compared to equivalent 2003 of the same mileage.

This gets me to my question. Does anybody know when the 325i 2004 will be available for order/delivery - don't have the time for the ED option?

Thanks
  • Options
    dave330idave330i Member Posts: 893
    Don't know if anyone else mentioned this, but if you're not in a rush, ED is a nice way to save money.
  • Options
    jgraveljgravel Member Posts: 54
    Hello everyone, this is my first time on this board.

I need a "commuter" car for the next 2 years. My two main criteria are "decent" gas mileage and the ability to handle the snow we get here in the northeast. I'll buy 4 snow tires for the winter. Additionally I'd like the car to be fun to drive, reliable, handle well, especially on the highway. I'm really interested in the AWD and how it effects the car's handling. You get my drift.

My plan is to give my LandCruiser to my wife, give her saab 9/5 to my daughter and get the "commuter" car for myself.

Thanks in advance to anyone with 325/ AWD experiences their willing to share.

-Jay
  • Options
    The problem might be what you're driving now. Integra is a sport coupe while 3 series is a sedan at heart. I recommend you test drive several 3 series competitors along with the 3 series. Then you might have a better feel for what BMW is all about. Hope this helps.
  • Options
    kdshapirokdshapiro Member Posts: 5,751
    dave330i is right on. You owe it to yourself to drive other models you would be interested in acquiring. This gives you a baseline. For me one, test drive in a 323 was all it took. I could feel the difference, in that car vs other cars I have driven recently. But you have to find something that appeals to your senses, budget, and butt-dynometer.
  • Options
    Anybody heard when 2004 325i will be ready for delivery?
  • Options
    gpwatfrdgpwatfrd Member Posts: 76
    motokichi,
    Thanks for the info on european car mag but that type of mag is not really my cup of tea. I do not get into the modification of car engines and what have you. (well, I might change the rims and tires but that is about it)

kdshapiro,
    You mentioned something about automobile mag and it's 3 series review. I have yet to receive my first automobile mag and was wondering if you were referring to an older issue or the most recent issue which I might be getting soon.
  • Options
    shiposhipo Member Posts: 9,148
    Sorry about the delay in getting back to you, time zones and all of that.

Regarding your current dilemma, I concur with on of the other comments, you are comparing a Japanese "Sport Coupe" (one of the best FWD ones on the market as well) to a German "Sport Sedan", so there are a couple of variables that you might want to keep in mind.

1) Which 3-Series did you drive? That will have a fairly large bearing upon how one feels about a car. Currently, the 3-Series sedan can be had with essentially four grades of handling, with the 325i (non-SP) with 16" wheels having the least capability (standard (soft but capable) suspension, All-Season tires). The 330i (non-SP) is next in line with the upgraded (Sport) suspension and 17" wheels and All-Season tires, followed by the 325i SP (Sport suspension, 17" wheels and Performance Rubber) and finally the 330i SP (Sport suspension, 17" (or 18") wheels and Asymmetric (the rears are wider than the fronts) Performance Rubber. So, if you drove a 325i without the Sport Package, you drove a car that had a suspension that was identical to my 1999 328i, and while it was capable, I certainly wouldn’t want to Auto-X it on the weekends.

2) Having never driven the GSR, I can only comment on its suspension second hand. That said, it is my understanding that the GSR has a fairly "Screwed Down" suspension that offers considerably better handling that your run of the mill Integra, and the expense of some ride comfort and suspension travel (if I'm wrong about this, please don't shoot me, this information is second hand after all ;-)). The BMW on the other hand has been built to offer good handling and ride on roads (try a Paris cobble stone street that hasn't seen any repair since WWII) that require a lot more suspension compliance (travel) than the typical American or Japanese car was built to deal with. Upon their first drive, many folks used to the less compliant performance cars from Japan are deceived into thinking that because the ride is better in the BMW that the handling performance cannot possibly be there. It is only after realizing that not only are they able to take corners as fast as they could in their previous mount, but they are far more comfortable in the process that these folks realize just how magical the BMW suspension system really is.

At this point, it seems logical to me that you might want to take an extended test drive in a 330i SP and drive on roads that you are familiar with. Given that you will not be in-tune with the car just yet, you will probably not be able to drive as fast as you can in your GSR, then again, you probably weren't able to push your GSR as fast when you first got it either.

Based upon you user name and your last sign-off, are you an OS? I've been seeing a lot of one recently. :-/

I hope this helps.

Best Regards,
    Shipo
  • Options
    sedanorcoupesedanorcoupe Member Posts: 7
    I feel like a bit of weasel about this, and I am far from deciding that I am going to do anything about it, but here is my dilemma: about a month ago I ordered a 330xi. The car was built last week, and will get here in early April. I put down the usual 1,000 deposit.

My problem? Well,two things: both of which suggest that I was a bit premature in ordering the car. I have my doubts about the xi versus the i. The decision to go with AWD was something the salesman strongly suggested (I live in the Philadelphia area) and I sort of went with the flow. In the interim I have learned that the Sport Package (which I ordered) does not have the sport suspension and that DSC will probably suffice for most winter conditions up here. Sort of feel that I wimped out there.

The second thing - and here I am really opening things up - is that I have come to prefer the styling of the coupe, especially with the new facelift. There are other considerations there, and I am not totally sold on the switch, but suffice it to say that I have been doing some second guessing on a couple of fronts.

The question is what kind of a reception would a change of heart get at this point from the dealership? I know that I am legally on the hook for the deposit (hopefully no more than that), but would hope that they might not hold it against me if I still purchased from them (although getting them to do another order for me might be tough. :)

If it makes things easier, the model that I ordered is a beauty that should be in high demand: a pretty, conservative color and fully loaded. I would think the dealership would not have trouble unloading it.

Any thoughts/war stories on this would be appreciated. As I say, probably going to stay where I am with it, but want to know what my options are.

Thanks
  • Options
    Let me see to what I was referring in which post. :)
  • Options
    I feel like a bit of weasel about this, and I am far from deciding that I am going to do anything about it, but here is my dilemma: about a month ago I ordered a 330xi. The car was built last week, and will get here in early April. I put down the usual 1,000 deposit.

My problem? Well,two things: both of which suggest that I was a bit premature in ordering the car. I have my doubts about the xi versus the i. The decision to go with AWD was something the salesman strongly suggested (I live in the Philadelphia area) and I sort of went with the flow. In the interim I have learned that the Sport Package (which I ordered) does not have the sport suspension and that DSC will probably suffice for most winter conditions up here. Sort of feel that I wimped out there.

The second thing - and here I am really opening things up - is that I have come to prefer the styling of the coupe, especially with the new facelift. There are other considerations there, and I am not totally sold on the switch, but suffice it to say that I have been doing some second guessing on a couple of fronts.

The question is what kind of a reception would a change of heart get at this point from the dealership? I know that I am legally on the hook for the deposit (hopefully no more than that), but would hope that they might not hold it against me if I still purchased from them (although getting them to do another order for me might be tough. :)

If it makes things easier, the model that I ordered is a beauty that should be in high demand: a pretty, conservative color and fully loaded. I would think the dealership would not have trouble unloading it.

Any thoughts/war stories on this would be appreciated. As I say, probably going to stay where I am with it, but want to know what my options are.

Thanks
  • Options
    Changing your mind should be no big deal (except you will have to start your wait all over again if you order a new car). If you want to change, change, your dealership will have no problem selling your car to someone else, especially after the winter that we who live in the North East are currently working our way through (well, it's 75 and raining where I am right now ;-))

Just to make sure you do it for the right reason, please keep in mind that if you order a 330ci, DSC will NOT be sufficient to keep your car under control when the "Slipperies" occur. I made a few forays out into the white stuff last December in my 530i SP before my winter wheel/tire set arrived (the wheels were on backorder), and the complete lack of grip that summer tires offer in the snow is not to be believed (I had a 328i with All-Season tires before the 530i, and it was sort of ok, but nothing compared to my 530i on "Snows"). That said, buying a set of winter tires will transform a RWD BMW into a car that is quite capable in snow up to a max of 5 or 6 inches (four if it is heavy and wet).

Keep us posted on what you do.

Best Regards,
    Shipo
  • Options
    Thanks for the very thoughtful reply; appreciate the prompt response.

I suppose the issue (at least with respect to xi vs i) is whether I want to go through the hassle of a set of winter tires. This car will likely be the only one that I have (after a short transitioning period while I learn to drive a stick, I will probably give the old Honda to a friend :) ). So...one car --> two sets of tires/wheels if I go with RWD.

Of course, this same set of considerations is in place if I go with the coupe; perhaps even more so. I was talking to a co-worker yesterday who has the 323ci and she opened up her trunk to show me 100lbs of kitty litter (ballast) to get her through the snow. And she has a set of Bliztek (sp?) winter tires. She still complained about the low clearance of the car. The tires and kitty litter notwithstanding, the low profile can make navigating through a reasonable snowfall tough: the price for a nice, sexy, low profile I suppose.

Well, thanks again; if you have some strong thoughts as regards AWD vs rear wheel (at least with respect to the 330s), I would certainly welcome your input.
  • Options
    markjennmarkjenn Member Posts: 1,142
    I'd begin by deciding what you really want. It sounds like you're still in the stage where you can get talked into this or that.

Stop vacillating. Sit down, think about it awhile for a day or two, make a decision, AND THEN STICK TO IT. After you've decided, don't second guess yourself or ask for more advice. Going in with a change is one thing, but you sure don't want to go in two weeks later and change again. Or worse, balking on the day of delivery. Dealers really get tired of these antics and with good reason.

As to your deposit: If you decide to change, whether your deposit is refundable is a legal matter. If you signed papers which say the deposit is non-refundable and if non-refundable deposits are legal in your state (many states they're either illegal or allowed only under very restrictive conditions) then you're at the mercy of the dealer. They'll probably be flexible and let you order another car, but they could be jerks, say "good riddance", and take your $1K. They may be hard-nosed, because the market flips in April and wants sports cars rather than AWD utility vehicles. The color and options you've ordered are also a factor - a silver car with premium package is a whole different resale animal from a leatherette striper in green. But, in general, most deposits are refundable by law and dealers try and keep your business, so they'll probably work with you to get you in the car you want to drive.

- Mark
  • Options
    agreenbergagreenberg Member Posts: 15
    I am trying to do a cost comparison for the 3-series vs. another manufacturer that does not offer free maintanence for leases. Over the 36 months, approx. how much money can I count on saving with the free maintanence deal on the bimmer?
  • Options
    ryokenryoken Member Posts: 291
    The free maintainence on the BMW consists of the 15k, 30k, and 45k services. It might help to do a cost comparison if you mention the other manufacturer by name. There are other factors besides the maintanence. For instance, I recently leased an Infiniti G35. MSRP was 7k less than a comparably equipped 330i. Yet, I'm paying $200/yr more in insurance, and it cost me an extra $2000 down to get the same monthly payment as I would have had on a 330i. If you're looking at the monetary difference of free maintainence at this point, then I'd suggest you do a complete survey of all your costs before they surprise you.
  • Options
    Thanks for the very thoughtful reply; appreciate the prompt response.

I suppose the issue (at least with respect to xi vs i) is whether I want to go through the hassle of a set of winter tires. This car will likely be the only one that I have (after a short transitioning period while I learn to drive a stick, I will probably give the old Honda to a friend :) ). So...one car --> two sets of tires/wheels if I go with RWD.

Of course, this same set of considerations is in place if I go with the coupe; perhaps even more so. I was talking to a co-worker yesterday who has the 323ci and she opened up her trunk to show me 100lbs of kitty litter (ballast) to get her through the snow. And she has a set of Bliztek (sp?) winter tires. She still complained about the low clearance of the car. The tires and kitty litter notwithstanding, the low profile can make navigating through a reasonable snowfall tough: the price for a nice, sexy, low profile I suppose.

Well, thanks again; if you have some strong thoughts as regards AWD vs rear wheel (at least with respect to the 330s), I would certainly welcome your input.
  • Options
    leenelsonmdleenelsonmd Member Posts: 208
    chile96: I echo what seivwrig said. The dealerships in Tyler or Temple are supposed to be flexible on price. If you are moving to Atlanta this summer then driving a 2-3 hours to save $1000-1500 is a no brainer. The loaner car issue is moot for you since you are leaving. FWIW: My father-in-law purchased his bimmer from John Roberts in Austin and had a good experience a few years back.

sedanorcoupe: In Texas, they can't keep the $1000. I originally ordered my M3 from Momentum BMW and then changed my mind and went to BMW North. The refund was no problem. Get the car you want. Do not worry about changing your mind--you will have to live with the decision for some time and it will cost you about $15-20 dollars a day for the life of the vehicle--make sure you can say each day that the money was well spent.

seivwrig: just waiting for the Car Control course this weekend. see you there.
  • Options
    Is more than that. It is 4/year 50K full bumper to bumper coverage including items that exceed normal wear and tear due to normal usage. There are some exclusions such as tire balance and rotate, alignment and soft trim items such as the headliner. But obviously that doesn't include replacement due to manufacturers defects. So while seemingly a "pittance", it's nice to know one does not get nickeled and dimed for every service item.
  • Options
    seivwrigseivwrig Member Posts: 388
    With the weather that we are having, it looks like I will have a dirty car for the car control clinic. Anyway, I'll see you Friday. I will probably plough more cones than you because I have only owned a car for 6 of my 17 years of driving. My wife always says that she is better driver than me but she refused to participate in the clinic. i guess it was from the fact that her clock got punched when we last participated in the Ultimate Driving Experience.
  • Options
    erickplerickpl Member Posts: 2,735
    Well, a few weeks ago, we got some really wet snow and ice up here in the mountains. We ventured out into the muck to get to work. Driving the AWD on the 325xi was very confidence-inspiring!

Going up and down hills, the car never once slid. Wheels never lost their grip and braking was incredible!

Been working lots of hours at NASA this past month, so sorry for disappearing!

-Paul
  • Options
    nyccarguynyccarguy Member Posts: 16,434
    Well, I don't think you'll lose your deposit if you order another BMW from that particular dealer. We had a bad winter this year (on the east coast, I'm in NYC), but think about how many more days there will be to enjoy your RWD BMW. There are some great roads in Philly BTW. 330Xis (plural) will sell the day it comes off the truck (or before), so the dealer won't have any troubloe getting rid of it. 330Xi models seem to sell like hotcakes here in the northeast. My parents looked for one last spring (after a mild winter) and had trouble locating one, they ended up with a A6 3.0

2001 Prelude Type SH, 2022 Highlander XLE AWD, 2022 Wrangler Sahara 4Xe, 2023 Toyota Tacoma SR 4WD

• Options
    brave1heartbrave1heart Member Posts: 2,698
    Can I call you Dr. Phil? Please??
  • Options
    I am going back to summer tires in the next week or two and I have a couple of questions:
    1. I am going to use a forward-pointing wire brush with an electric drill to get rid of all the corrosion on the hub and surface of the rotor. Should I keep the wire brush away from the disks??
    2. I want to use a very light coating of some anti-seize compound or grease on the hub to protect from rust in the future - what type of coating would you recommend for this?
  • Options
    Who is Dr. Phil? ;-)

I use regular old "High Temp Wheel Bearing Grease".

Best Regards,
    Shipo
  • Options
    CrevelsCrevels Member Posts: 37
    I've got a question regarding service interval. My CPO BMW had an original in-service date of May 2002, but the computer says I've got 7,000 miles until Inspection 1. Will I be able to have an oil-change done in May 2003 because it's 1 year after the in-service date, or will I have to wait until the 15,000 miles for the first service? Anyone with a CPO know the answer?

Crevels
  • Options
    jean7of9jean7of9 Member Posts: 192
    My 03 330xi was off the boat at Halifax on 22 Feb 03. The German shipper delivered all 300 BMW's within 9 days across the Atlantic despite severe storms. After 20 days, there is no news about the where about of my car (and many other cars). The dealer is desperate for news from BMW Canada which seems has lost track of part of the shipment. Can you imagine these guies having to expedite Complete Military Divisions or Full Army Corps across two Oceans, it will take them 500 years, by that time they will hope the species is gone.
    I am now at my second order with BMW because they goofed in the first one after delivering the car with the wrong transmission. They asked for a second chance. I leave it up to you to judge their rotten and irresponsible service.
    If you see in your vicinity a 03 Orient Blue 330xi driven by a smiling bearded sailor with a pipe and flammable breath, torn shirt and lot of 12 packs inside, with no plate on the outside, please hold on to it, and call BMW Canada, it may be mine.
  • Options
    bmw323isbmw323is Member Posts: 410
    You can get an oil change after one year, no matter the mileage. I don't know what difference a CPO car makes compared to a car bought new, as long as you are still within the free service period.
  • Options
    div2div2 Member Posts: 2,580
    I just use a small hand held wire brush to clean the hub area. Less chance of damaging any adjacent surfaces. I use the Permatex Anti-Seize paste that comes in a tube. Again, I just apply it sparingly to the hub area. A little goes a long way, and you don't want any excess anti- seize slung onto the pads and such.
  • Options
    gpwatfrdgpwatfrd Member Posts: 76
    post#22236
    According to BMW - "The 3 Series has had a banner year, winning an All-Star award for the eleventh time from Automobile Magazine, for Best Luxury Car Under $40,000, a "10 Best" from Car and Driver Magazine, as well as the thirteenth 10-Best Engine Awards for the 3.0 L engine found in the 330i, and the 3.2 L found in the M3, from Ward's Auto World."

I was assuming there was an article in order for Automobile to give them this award.
  • Options
    suegosuego Member Posts: 2
    Everything I read about internet shopping says that you can get a better deal. True for BMW? Any experience out there?
  • Options
    That was a direct quote from BMW on their website. I found it in the either in the owners circle or the news and views. The 3-series has won so many awards, it's hard to keep track of which magazine said what.
  • Options
    fomentarfomentar Member Posts: 49
    I am 3500 miles into my '03 330Xi...outstanding vehicle, especially with a long commute. I thought that after I took delivery I would fade away from the discussion boards, since research was done...wrong. Excellent board here IMO.

A couple of questions:
    1. What experience do you have with gas mileage on the 330xi? I am currently just under 22 mpg, with a significant portion of highway driving. I don't drive slowly but I am not overly agressive.
    2. I have a Valentine One...nice unit. I currently have the power cord run along the headliner and down the A pillar to the glove box auxilliary power outlet. Has anyone connected power supply to BMW wiring? I am leary of connecting to wiring...

Thanks,

Rich
  • Options
    jb_shinjb_shin Member Posts: 357
    I have a 95 Integra GSR, and have had a 530i (sport pgk) for a year now. I definitely prefer the BMW when I am on autobahn, or any time I have to drive for more than an hour or so. I have only driven a 325 for a brief period of time, but I'd imagine the 3-series would feel just as solid and refined. Still, I love my Integra in the city and twisty bits. It is just light and quick to rev and move about in the traffic. I just can't stand driving it for 2-3 hours at 5500 to 6000 RPM.

If I did not need a 4-door sedan, I would probably be driving the Integra until it falls apart. (I do plan on taking it back home to the DC area) I was tired having a sore back after loading my 2 year old into the back of the 2-door coupe. If you need additional room and had to go for a 4-door variety, 3 series or the 5 would be near, if not at the top of the list.
  • Options
    gwunjgwunj Member Posts: 26
    fomentar: The V1 is an easy wiring job, especially if you are putting in the Universal Transmitter at the same time. There's a good writeup at bmw330ci.com in the dyi section. It should take less than a half hour, depending on how anal you want to be with dressing the wiring.

sedanorcoupe: I have a 330ci SP and live in the Philly area. The summer tires aren't worth a damn in the snow and ice. You'll either have to buy a winter wheel setup or use a beater car. Personally, I suggest the beater car. The way I figure it, the greatest danger to my baby is some idiot who doesn't know how to drive in the wet stuff. At that point, I'd rather they smash into my 93 sentra than my baby with winter wheels.

Glenn
  • Options
    My '01 325i is just about to turn 40K miles and I'm still around ;o)

The worst gas mileage that I've had on the highway with very spirited driving is 22-23 mpg. 22 mpg in mixed driving sounds low. Do you spend a lot of time in traffic jams? Keep in mind that the 330xi would be ~ 300 lbs heavier than my car; more if you have the step.

I have a hardwired V1 with a concealed display and I am very happy with it. The installation took me 45-60 min but I am not very handy and everything seems to take me twice as long compared to the guys that are more mechanically inclined. It's worth the effort, esp. if you plan on keeping the car for a while.
  • Options
    I have a 530i (5-Speed) which weighs in at just 11 pounds more than a 330xi, and I routinely get about 30mpg on the highway at ~75 (I got about 24 mpg on the Autobahn with the Cruise Control set at 125), and I get about 24 mpg in mixed city/highway driving. The 530i does have a small advantage in that it has a more efficient drive train (RWD vs. AWD); however, the 330xi has a slight advantage due to its tires being almost an inch narrower.

My guess is that you should be getting at least 29 mpg at a steady 75 (my 1999 328i got more like 34-35), and 24 in mixed driving environment.

Best Regards,
    Shipo

P.S.

I'm flying home tomorrow, St. Patricks Day, which for me starts in about 12 hours. Let's see, I start in a time zone that is GMT +8 and end in a time zone that is GMT -5, that means that my St. Patricks Day will last 35 hours. I wonder if they will serve Green Beer on the airplane. :-P
  • Options
    bing330ibing330i Member Posts: 89
    gas mileage on my 2002 330i step (15k mi) has been consistent around 20.5-20.8. most of my drives are local (40-50mph) combined with highway (75-80). something wrong ?

BTW, does anyone know the price tag for a fog light for 330i SP M-aero pkg? one of mine is broken, probably got hit by a stone.

thanks.
  • Options
    Milage will improve as you put more miles on your car. What you're getting is about normal. You'll start to see improvements as youget closer to 10k.
  • Options
    On my 2001, the cheap side costed over $100 to replace. BTW, cheap side is passenger side.