Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

BMW 3-Series 2005 and earlier

Comments

• genie1genie1 Member Posts: 398
    Hi guys! It's been a while...just wanted to say hello. I've still got the 3er...and am really glad I got the snows last year coz' I certainly needed them here in TO.

She runs beautifully and has been trouble free. Can't wait for warmer temps so I can get back to nicer tires and twisty roads. :)

Genie1
  • shiposhipo Member Posts: 9,148
    I haven't seen a post of yours since shortly after you got back from Goa (of course my being absent for 6 months might have something to do with that). Ditto on the snows, we needed them real bad here in NH this winter, in fact, I would not have gotten up my driveway this very morning without them. ;-)

Best Regards,
    Shipo
  • genie1genie1 Member Posts: 398
    Goa...that was so last year. :) This season's vacation was spent shopping in London...yummy!

I've been busy working on my business...doesn't leave much time to post, unfortunately.

I skipped several months of posts, but the first one I caught up on today was your post re. your broken leg, before skipping to the end. How is that? Better I hope?
  • joes230joes230 Member Posts: 94
    mxpro738's post #22512 that started the 325 vs 330 discussion was about a 325Xi auto vs a 330Ci SP 5-speed. He said after test driving these two cars, he couldn't feel much difference.

If you can't tell the difference, the choice is simple -- get the 325Xi. If you can't afford the 330, get the 325. If you can afford the 330, but don't think it's worth the extra money, get the 325.

I can't explain mxpro738's test drive experience. Most people that compared a 325Xi auto to a 330Ci 5-speed would feel a huge difference in power. Maybe the test drive was not thorough or hard enough, or maybe the 330i had a weak engine.

I agree a 325i 5-speed has adequate power. If you're comparing this to a 330i 5-speed, the choice is less clear. The 325i is a lot cheaper. Personally I liked the 330i, but I can see why many are satisfied with a 325i 5-speed.

However for me personally I draw the line at the 325i auto -- it's a nice car but just feels too slow for my taste. For some reason the auto saps the power on a 325i more than a 330i. Lots of people are happy with a 325i auto, and that's great. For me it wasn't enough power.

Re a 325i auto vs a 330i 5-speed, I've driven both back to back several times, and (to me) there's just a huge difference. It's far more than the acceleration specs indicate. Maybe it's the 330i's low rpm torque, I don't know.

I can't explain why mxpro738 didn't feel this difference, especially with the additional weight and driveline loss of the Xi. My advice is carefully test drive both cars again before buying. Make sure you thoroughly exercise them under the same conditions.

If he's satisifed with the 325Xi, then by all means get it -- don't get a more expensive 330i just because someone on a forum says to. However make sure the test drive is sufficiently thorough to ensure 325Xi has sufficient power for your taste.

A separate issue is sport vs non-sport (also a factor in 325Xi vs 330Ci SP). Personally I think the sport package, esp the seats and wheels are a must have. From a suspension standpoint, a non-sport 325Xi would feel very different from a 330i SP. That doesn't mean the SP is better for everybody. My 330i SP rides somewhat firmer and tramlines significantly more than 325i non-sports I've driven. My 330i SP requires more frequent steering correction when on the freeway, due to slight "hunting" left/right. This is typical of wider, lower-profile tires. You get used to it, and to me the faster steering response, improved grip, and M68 wheels are worth it. But it again illustrates the need for a thorough test drive over various road surfaces, not just a quick spin around the block.

So to me the lowest cost acceptable configuration would be a 325i SP 5-speed. I think that's a great car. If the choice was truly between a 325Xi auto sedan vs a 330Ci SP 5-speed, and I didn't need 4 doors, the 330iCi would be the easy choice. If the cost was too high, I'd look for a 325i SP 5-speed, not get the 325Xi auto.

Yet another issue is AWD vs RWD. This is further magnified by the SP having summer tires. Car and Drive had a good article about AWD vs 2WD here:
    http://urlizer.com/00/1366 If you had a SP car and live in a snow region you'd usually need to use winter tires in the cold season.
  • dave330idave330i Member Posts: 893
    Nice to hear from you again. Hope the business is going well. I haven't been posting much either. I've been working a lot of hours to make the down payment on my first place.

Tires make such a difference on the car. Now that I have S-03s installed, I don't have to worry about wet traction.
  • denkdenk Member Posts: 75
    Does anyone by any chance know the TSB # for the well-known gas pedal fix. I have the part numbers for the pedal module and adapter plate from previous postings, but the service guy asked me if I knew the TSB #. He also said he wasn't aware of this problem which has me worried that when I take it in next week they will say they can't find the TSB.
  • walter12walter12 Member Posts: 30
    I find it strange that the dealership does not know the TSB. I just had my 325Ci throttle fixed without having to tell them where to find the information. If you need to do so, Edmunds has a quick summary of each recall and TSB under your specific automobile. Find your year and model BMW and then click under maintenance on the left hand side of the screen. You'll get all the info you need. Good luck with your dealership.
  • nyccarguynyccarguy Member Posts: 16,373
    A lot of guys who own Preludes also praise these tires and the amount that they better the handling. They must work magic on an amazing handling car like the 3er. I'm thinking of picking up a set when my stockies wear out especially since I'm going to buy some winter tires for my Prelude for next winter (even though the current winter won't seem to leave).

Shipo: My Aunt in Salem tells me they got an additional 5 inches of the white stuff last night. I hope you didn't take your snows off yet:)

2001 Prelude Type SH, 2022 Highlander XLE AWD, 2022 Wrangler Sahara 4Xe, 2023 Toyota Tacoma SR 4WD

• cnorthrupcnorthrup Member Posts: 74
    SI bulletin: 35 01 02

E46 with M54 and S54 produced from 06/00 up to 06/02.

module is vin specific.

the pedal will be a different part # for auto or standard.

Dealer should be able to pull the info up.

3 or 4 months ago I had it done on my '02 330i step. They ordered the part and had it the next day. 10 minute swap.
  • denkdenk Member Posts: 75
    Thanks very much for the info. I agree that the dealer shouln't have to ask the customer for this kind of information but as is so often the case, it seems that the folks on this board are better informed than the dealers about so many things.
    Hopefully, the service people will find the service bulletin but just in case they try to blow the problem off I'll be prepared.
  • djocksdjocks Member Posts: 124
    About 10 days ago, I was happy and warm. I live in Connecticut and golf courses were opening across the state.

I decided to put my summer performance tires on my 330i that came with the sport package. They feel really great.

The problem is, it sounds like this Monday we are going to get at least 6 inches on snow. I have to go to work in the morning. I am assuming I will be driving back in the snow, about a 30 minute commute.

Does anyone have any recommendations (Weight in trunk etc....) to help me best get through he storm on these tires?
  • kdshapirokdshapiro Member Posts: 5,751
    djocks - How 'bout renting a SUV? :) Seriously, I'm not sure there is any compsentation for sport tires and 6 inches of snow.
  • brave1heartbrave1heart Member Posts: 2,698
    That's 6" total precipitation. The actual amount of snow on the ground probably won't be more than an inch and major roads will be cleared. Don't put any weight in the trunk - you don't want your back end coming out unexpectedly in a corner. Keep an extra distance between you and the car in front and be very smooth with the inputs.
  • cnorthrupcnorthrup Member Posts: 74
    I found this link interesting:

http://e46m3performance.com/tech/throttle/

The part number in this article matched my '02 330i, step, replacement pedal.

Chuck
    Genie1,

Thanks, the leg/foot is healing well, last Thursday my Orthopedic Sturgeon [sic] said that the bone is fully healed (after 12 weeks), but the foot and ankle are going to take quite some time yet due to the dislocation. :-( He also told me that I should expect swelling of my leg and ankle for as much as another year. My Physical Therapist (who has suffered 8 (yes, EIGHT) broken ankles of his own says that I will finish P/T in three more weeks, so hopefully I can start working out on my Nordic Track, and then get back to running in the next two to three months.

NycCarGuy,

Nope, I still have the Arctic-Alpins on my 530i, however, I left it in the garage this weekend and we drove the Green Monster back to Woodcliff Lake, NJ for a party to celebrate the Mikveh/Naming Ceremony of the newly adopted Chinese daughter of a very close friend. That said, we are expecting another 2-4 inches tomorrow night, so I will need the “Snows” for another couple of days. Mrs. Shipo and I are flying to Paris on Wednesday and with any luck, I will be able to put the summer tires back on when we get home. ;-)

DJocks,

Don’t sweat it, the roads should be fairly well cleared and well traveled. Take it real easy and you should be fine, and echoing what Brave1Heart said, I wouldn’t put any weight in the trunk, which would just mess up the 50/50 weight distribution in your car.

Best Regards,
    Shipo
    If you live in Connecticut and commute into the city, then just bear it on MetroNorth for the day. If you don't work in the city, then just keep your distance. The snow isn't supposed to start in the city until 10AM, so your drive to work should be fine. The temperature is supposed to hover around the 32-34 degree mark, so the roads will be just slushy and wet.

2001 Prelude Type SH, 2022 Highlander XLE AWD, 2022 Wrangler Sahara 4Xe, 2023 Toyota Tacoma SR 4WD

I think you do more in a month than I have in the past 10 years...lol...
    Well, the last 15 months have been kind of crazy; I am normally very sedentary and boring. ;-)

Best Regards,
    Shipo
  • mxpro738mxpro738 Member Posts: 59
    joes230:

To clarify for you, I experienced a significant difference in engine performance between the 330Ci/Sport/Manual and the 325xi/Auto.

That said, I did not know if much of that was due to 2WD/Manual vs AWD/Auto variables.

I was looking for a direct comparison: 330i/sport/manual vs 325i/sport/manual (and I've received some good feeback here).

Thanks.

Thanks
  • efxxefxx Member Posts: 24
    '02 325i/step - I really pushed the corners hard this weekend on a stretch of some winding road and simply could not believe how well this thing handled and stuck to the road. It was unreal, like defying the law of physics. This thing really sticks and that was with the stock all season 16" tires. No squeals.

I can only imagine what it'd be like driving that road in an M3.

That new 330i performance package looks great. The basic red does not look right on the 3 sedan but some how on the bmw magazine the "imola red" looks great. I really have to see it in person.

I wonder why bmw didn't go with an M3 sedan.
  • hgeyerhgeyer Member Posts: 188
    I attended AutoX school last weekend and I can honestly say that it was the most fun I've ever had with a car. I've come to realize that while street driving, I was probably utilizing 10%-20% of my car's capabilities.

Below are some tips for anyone thinking of trying this experience. These are not necessarily driving tips, but first-timer advice that I wish I had considered.

1. Empty everything out of your car before you leave for the track. While many people bring a large trash bag or plastic container, it was very windy (things were getting loose) and someone stole one of the fasteners to my winter floor mat (a $1.25 part, but it taught me a lesson).

2. Disable the traction control and DSC before the event and get accustomed to how the car performs without these features. I almost wet my pants when I made my first high-speed turn without these features activated. It took probably 3 runs to get used to the new feel.

3. Practice shuffle steering beforehand. This was the hardest thing to get used to, and I could have probably done better if I had worked on it during the days preceding the event.

I now appreciate that my all-season tires will quickly become toast if I continue this endeavor through the summer. While my E46 330i came with non-SP 17" rims (205/50), I'm thinking of getting some 18" rims with appropriate rubber if someone can explain to me that this is a better setup (are 19" rims better?).

Colin, can you recommend an appropriate combo? I'm thinking that I'll get separate wheels/tires and change these out for AutoX events.

Thanks,

Hans
    I'm glad you enjoyed your 1st autocross even so much. If you upgrade your wheels to 18s or 19s, all you will be doing is adding unsprung weight. Your best bet is to stick with another set of 17s (or downgrade to 16s if you become a real nut). You'll be amazed at how simply stickier rubber (Z rated as opposed to your H rated All seasons) will improve your car's handling.

<<< wonder why bmw didn't go with an M3 sedan>>>

Because they'd be cannibalizing M5 sales.
  • hgeyerhgeyer Member Posts: 188
    I have a set of 16" rims on which the snows are mounted. Should I instead consider switching these rims between the snows and some Z's?
    The S-03s are much sticker than the OEM tires. On the down side, they also follow the road more as well.
    Check out www.tirerack.com, and price out 17", 18" & 19" tires. You'll notice quite a price difference between those sizes.
  • locke2clocke2c Member Posts: 5,038
    hgeyer, how wide are the 16" wheels you have your snow tires mounted on?

if they're at least 7" wide then yes your best bet might be something like a 225/50-16. tons of tire choices, low prices. I'd go with something with large tread blocks like a Kumho Ecsta MX (bang for the buck) or BFG KD (price less of a concern).

-Colin
  • motenor1motenor1 Member Posts: 35
    I am not sure what you are asking, so I will answer your question two ways:

What is the "Sport Package?"

Assuming you are asking about a 4-door sedan, that is really four different questions, and four different answers.

325i: Includes a "Sport Calibrated" suspension (higher spring rates, slightly lower ride (about .5") and stiffer roll bars (I think)), 17x8.0 Star Spoke (Style Type 96) alloy wheels with 225/45R-17 Performance tires, the wonderful Three-Spoke Leather-Wrapped sport steering wheel with audio, phone and cruise controls, 12 way (8 way power) adjustable front sport seats and 3-Position drivers memory for seat position and exterior mirrors.

325xi: Includes 17x7.0 Radial Spoke (Style Type 73) alloy wheels with 205/50R-17 All-Season tires, the wonderful Three-Spoke Leather-Wrapped sport steering wheel, 12 way (8 way power) adjustable front sport seats and 3-Position drivers memory for seat position and exterior mirrors.

330i: Includes 17x7.5 front and 17x8.5 rear "M" Double Spoke (Style Type 68M) alloy wheels with 225/45ZR-17 front and 245/40ZR-17 rear Performance tires, the wonderful Three-Spoke Leather-Wrapped sport steering wheel with audio, phone and cruise controls, 8 way power adjustable front sport seats, 3-Position drivers memory for seat position and exterior mirrors and the "Aerodynamic Package".

330xi: Includes 17x7.0 Double Spoke (Style Type 98) alloy wheels with 205/50R-17 Run-Flat All-Season tires and a tire pressure monitoring system, the wonderful Three-Spoke Leather-Wrapped sport steering wheel with audio, phone and cruise controls, 8 way power adjustable front sport seats, 3-Position drivers memory for seat position and exterior mirrors and the "Aerodynamic Package".

What is the "Sport Suspension?"

This suspension is available as an option on the 325i (Sport Package), and standard equipment on the 330i. It includes higher rate springs, slightly lower ride (about .5") and stiffer roll bars (I think).

I hope this helps.

Best Regards,
    Shipo
  • katkisonkatkison Member Posts: 40
    Hey, leenelsonmd, do you mind if I use you as a referral to BMW North (you did by your M3 there, right?)? Someone stop me - I am going to look at 330i convertibles. I originally wanted one, but ended up getting a 330i sedan as a "cost-saving" measure. Now, those desires for a convertible are stirring again. I gave Advantage downtown first chance, but their Internet sales person has not answered my e-mail and it has been almost a week. The Internet sales person at BMW North answered my e-mail in about 5 minutes and I already have an appointment set up to talk to them. The person at BMW North has already been very nice and helpful.

BTW, to anyone looking, they have about a dozen 3 series convertibles in stock right now. I had never come across a dealership that had more than maybe one in stock. BMW North also lets you search their new car inventory online, which is quite nice, and the only dealership in town to do that.

Kelly
  • seivwrigseivwrig Member Posts: 388
    With the whole DSC off and on issue. At the BMWCCA Car Control Clinic in Houston, it was suggested that you do runs with both the DSC off and on. Try DSC off (remember that the DSC is two stage, so the brake light and warning signal should be lit.) If you plan to make auto-X a hobby, then you might want to drive with the DSC off the entire time. As far as car control, you must turn it off. It is amazing what the DSC will do on a skidpad.
  • leenelsonmdleenelsonmd Member Posts: 208
    Kelly,

You can mention my name up there. I do not think it will help. I am on good terms with them and continue to be very happy with their customer service--despite this, they probably do not even know who I am. I have no doubt that if you are going to buy a BMW in Houston then BMW North is the only way to go.

A hint: Use the Hardy Toll road to get out there (I assume you have an EZ tag) and just exit 1960 and go west. I45 is only about a mile from the Toll road at 1960 and this seems to be the fastest way out there and also the best way to avoid rocks and pebbles from the crazy traffic on I45 north.

If you are willing to go out of town to purchase then I again rec Garlyn Shelton in Temple. I have a friend who is friends with the owner or sales manager (I am not sure) and this may help, but at Garlyn Shelton they give such a good deal on BMWs that it may not matter to have a personal reference.

The disadvantage of buying out of town is that you will not get the free loaner service, but I think this is the only measurable downside -- except of course driving there to make the purchase.

If BMW North has a dozen convertibles then they may be willing to cut you some more slack, but my sources tell me that the best you will do is about $500 off sticker.

BTW: Do you have a sunroof in your current bimmer? I have a coupe with a sunroof and I have not had the desire for a convertible -- it seems that with both of the large windows down and with the sunroof open I get all the sun and air that I want. If you want a test drive then drop me a line.

email me if you have some other questions: leenelsonmd@yahoo.com
    I turn it off as a matter of routine when the roads are dry. I like kicking out the back end every chance I get.

In the rain, however, I leave it on as a safety net in case I get too crazy.
  • locke2clocke2c Member Posts: 5,038
    that's probably not a bad move, as I've had some puckering moments in the rain... facing guardrail, yawed 30 degrees to the road.

-Colin
    no DSC, no problem
  • cecilt1cecilt1 Member Posts: 74
    This may sound odd. I would like for anyone to report if they hear this sound. My '00 323i made this noise and the dealer replaced the guage cluster and it went away for about 40k miles. My '01 330i makes the same sound.

Next time you get in your car, turn radio off and have windows up and sunroof closed. FRom a deadstop, accelerate slowly. As the needle on the mpg guage(bottom of tachometer)moves from the 50 mpg reading to 0 do you hear a little "swish" sound. It does not make the "swish" sound as you row through the gears but just that initial off the line start. I know I'm picky but curious. Dealer said it is an approved warranty repair but I really don't want to waste their time or money if it is a "normal" sound that everyone else has but ignores it or never paid any attention to it until now that I bring it up. Thanks
  • mxpro738mxpro738 Member Posts: 59
    The sport suspension lowers the car by about 1/2", reduces lean/sway in corners and causes the car to follow the undulations of the road more tightly. The objective here is more tight, nimble and predictable handling.

Of course, there has to be down side. The ride is less plush over rough roads and you feel "tossed around" a little more inside of the vehicle as you travel a road which has more undulations. Bottom line is that you are less insulated from the road and its imperfections

I hope this helps a little.
  • kdshapirokdshapiro Member Posts: 5,751
    The mpg gauge does not seem to be electronic as on some vehicles that have instant mpg. My guess is that the guage is vacuum or air driven and that is the noise you are hearing. This is an educated guess on my part. But I have never heard that noise above the sweet sound the engine makes.
    <<< ... I have not had the desire for a convertible -- it seems that with both of the large windows down and with the sunroof open I get all the sun and air that I want.>>> That's exactly how I feel too. If I wanted a convertible, I'd get a roadster.
  • widriver2widriver2 Member Posts: 36
    Hi,

Help. I'm getting my summer tires put on tomorrow and I'm trying to decide to roate or not on my 2002 325CI. Dunlop SP 2000 (I think it's the SP2000) tires. I've read on the Roadfly BMW message boards that BMW doesn't recommend rotating tires. I haven't read anything in my owner's manual on the topic. The reason I've read they advise againt it is because rotating affects the handling and you'd have to rotate very often to prevent that.
    Do you rotate and if so have you noticed any negative affects? I do use snow tires so I can rotate at least one per year without extra cost. Any thoughts? thanks!
    About the referral, actually, they told me that you might get a gift if I purchase, that's why I wanted to use you as a referral.

Yeah, I have a sunroof. I use it all the time, except it was too chilly this morning. I am not committed to getting the convertible, maybe it is the nice weather this time of the year. We will see. I was actually first thinking about the Z4 (which I do find attractive), but then we were thinking long-term and wanting to have both cars available to carry any children we have. I will do my drive to Austin and back Sunday and see if I really think a convertible would be better. If not, we will just continue to rent convertibles while on vacation and get it out of my system on those weekends.

Thanks for the hint about the toll road. I love using the toll road, it annoys my fiance that I will use to to drive to the airport even when there is no traffic. I just like driving it better - smooth, less traffic, less rocks, etc.

Thanks for test drive offer! Oh, BTW, you would be ashamed of my lawn, it looks terrible right now!

Kelly
    I assume you have a Low profile summer tires? They are only good for 20k miles or so. Rotating them won't help much. Also, when I had my tires replaced, the tread wear were very even.
  • motenor1motenor1 Member Posts: 35
    so with sport suspension, the ride on rough roads will cause my butt to get a much needed workout? the ride will be stiffer?
  • mg330cimg330ci Member Posts: 162
    Consider the following:

If you participate in an SCCA sanctioned autox and change your wheel's size, your car will be switched from the stock class to the modified class (ruining any hope of eventually getting a trophy)

If you are really hooked (and who wouldn't after trying autox) consider getting some wheels (same size as stock) and putting some competition tires (your times will improve an average of 5 secs in a 60 sec run!!!) and your street tires will survive more than 6 months :)
    I drove the 3 liter z4 and thought that was a wonderful drive. Totally different feel from my M3. I would prob get a roadster if I got a convertible, but I do not have the disposable income for this--I would not want the convertible to be my daily driver. Convertibles are great for the days that you want to use them, but they have some negatives which preclude me from trying to use one on a daily basis.

Cons: More road noise, harder to keep clean, less rigid, weigh more and therefore performance is compromised, interior tends to age quickly and must be rigorously cleaned after almost every use (when the top is down), you have to worry about people sticking a knife through the roof (there are few cars flashier than a 3 series convertible IMO). The 3 series convertibles seat only 4, while you can squeeze 5 into the coupe or sedan. I have had 6 in the M3.

Pros: SUN, WIND, and WOW what a beautiful car.

I like the compromise of my coupe -- with the large windows and the sunroof open it closely approximates the convertible. When it is hot or raining, I can put the window up and can drive around in quiet (except for the engine noise) and some luxury.

Right now the M3 is a great car for the family. My 22mo daughter calls it the "vroom vroom" and she love to ride in it with me. We have another on the way to complete the family of 4. We use the car for road trips now and I hope to get a next gen 5 series wagon in a year or so if they are available. I was reading Roundel this month and one of the feature articles was about the M5 touring wagon that used to be available in Europe -- Wow! now that is a family car. My wife just laughed at me when I proposed trying to get one of these imported.

If you and your fiancee are thinking about starting a family soon then having 2 cars which can carry the kids is definitely a plus. There will be countless occasions for each vehicle to perform this duty. It is ok to have one that is exceptional at this (like an SUV or a mini van or my favorite the 5 wagon) and one like a 3 series that isn't as good, but can get the job done if needed. Look at SHIPO he has a minivan and a 530.

I do not want to sound too down on the idea of a convertible -- with the weather in Houston now, everyone should want one. I used the sunroof alone this am when I drove over to Rice to run (temp 45*). I think however that before pulling the trigger on the convert you should try driving the coupe because it does generate a slightly different feel for the driver that is somewhere between the sedan and convertible. Otherwise, I think that you should get the car of your dreams if you can afford it and have fun -- life is always much shorter than we expect and so you should get the most out of every day and out of every turn of the key.

Yard: You know that I moved into a townhome and I do not have a single blade of grass to care for. I miss this a little, but have more time on the weekends to wash the cars.
    Off topic: Do you want to take care of my yard? Just kidding.

Oh, I know a convertible is not the most practical of cars. But it just looks so nice! Like I said, I am going to do my drive this weekend and make a decision on the car. I would like heated seats, but not so much as to replace my current auto. That is my only regret with my sedan, I actually found one on the lot that had everything I wanted but the heated seats and I decided that they weren't worth it. Then my fiance got the MDX and it has heated seats and I have used them quite frequently this winter.

I did drive the 330 coupe when I was shopping originally and went for the more practical sedan. I do think the coupe looks better.

Now if I wanted a real "family" car - sorry guys, it wouldn't be a BMW wagon. It would be an Audi S6 Avant. If only they made an S6 Allroad quattro. I like the looks of the Allroad better than the plain wagon.

I am going to have to start thinking about replacing my tires...oh well, at least they will be better than the Contis I have.

Kelly
    "Right now the M3 is a great car for the family." Great Comment!

You can always get the M5 Touring (wagon) imported in to the US. ;)
    katkison - trust me, if and when you have kids, neither the Z4, nor the 3-series convertible will survive in your family as neither of them are practical enough for even occasional trips with a little baby.

leenelsonmd - this is beginning to sound a little like Porsche ads: "The more kids you have, the more practical it gets"

Heated seats in Houston?!? I spent a couple of months on business in Austin once in October and November and it was shorts weather most of the time?!?
    I was going to make a comment about heated seats in Houston, but you beat me to it. I guess your Boston Blood is thicker:)

• bmw323isbmw323is Member Posts: 410
    I have a '00 323i and I have begun hearing that swish noise for the last few months. Definately coming from the vacuum gauge. The noise is very faint and I only hear it the first or second time I take off from a stop sign when the car is cold. I was going to ask the dealer about it on the next service visit. I wouldn't want them replacing gauges - concerned about what else they would break, or future rattles. I wonder if anything is really wrong or if it's just a normal noise? Does it get worse with time?

widriver2 - I have rotated my Z rated tires one time from front to back. I've noticed no ill handling effects and I believe it will extend tire life by at least 5,000 miles. The rears wear about 30% faster than the fronts on my car.