Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

BMW 3-Series 2005 and earlier

Comments

• mrl11777mrl11777 Member Posts: 154
    You can get the car programmed to blink the lights when locking and unlocking and, when the car is locked, the clown nose blinks. Just as good as an alarm, in my opinion, and it was free.
  • denkdenk Member Posts: 75
    Were you aware that the clown nose can be programmed to blink when the car is locked without buying the alarm system? Many on this board including me have had it done. So it's $450 for the chirp.
  • ksomanksoman Member Posts: 683
    When you program the nose to blink on lock and unlock, the red bulb on the mirror blinks... atleast it started to on my 2004 cic after we got the programming done.

expense: $0

And indeed, the reasoning amongst other owners is this...
    Security systems consist of two things:
    1. A theft deterrence system
    2. An alarm system.

The sound alarm is not available unless you pay extra in the bmw, but the detternce is controlled by the high tech key, which is read by a car IR sensor, so basically if its a dupe key or a fake key or anthing else like hot wiring, the computer will refuse to let the car start.... to all the technology bashers, do they realize chips have been used in engines for decades now??? oh wait, i slipped in my topic...

ok those are my 19 cents...
    ksso
  • scipio1scipio1 Member Posts: 142
    it does cause some trouble for the computer when it thinks it has an alarm and doesn't, but overall yeah you can get 80% of the effect for $0.

All of that went through my mind the first time i went through this, to get an alarm for the cabrio. i figured, ah, why not: when i lock the car, i can make it go *chirp chirp*.
    So there! Killjoys. :P

but yes, the electonic keys are nice, no?
  • erickplerickpl Member Posts: 2,735
    I agree 1000% percent on this. My 1999 Civic Si had wheels stolen while I was at a movie. Wheel locks are a GREAT investment, but make sure you keep the key for them in a secure spot, but with the car.

-Paul
  • honda_autobahnhonda_autobahn Member Posts: 25
    Well, the bad news is my BMW missed the 2003 production schedule. Good news is I am getting a 2004 330xi. Anyone seen or know where I can find out about changes for the 2004 3-Series Sedans. Will we have the Adaptive Head Lights like on the Coupes? New colors? Other options or design fixes. Do not expect major changes since I believe 2003 was already the new facelift.
    Anyone had experience with the 17" Run Flat Tires in snow or ice? How about RWD vs AWD with the above tires? What happens if the wheels and rims are swapped out for snow tires - will it mess up the tire pressure sensor? Anyone had to buy new tires yet - appears to be a very limited size and restricted to Goodyear for the run-flat feature.
  • mrl11777mrl11777 Member Posts: 154
    "it does cause some trouble for the computer when it thinks it has an alarm and doesn't"

That is a myth.
  • white6white6 Member Posts: 588
    All 3 Series Models
    6-Speed SMG Transmission will be available on all rear-wheel-drive 3 Series, combined with the Sport Package. Not available with all-wheel-drive or 330i Performance Package
    BMW Assist will be available as a stand-alone option (includes Roadside Assistance, Emergency Service, Accident Notification and Concierge Services).
    Rain Sensor will become a standard feature – no longer part of the Premium Package (already available on Coupes and Convertibles).
    325i and 325i Sport Wagon
    5-spoke alloy wheel (Style 119) replaces 7-spoke alloy wheel (Style 96) in Sport Package
    325xi and 325xi Sport Wagon
    5-spoke alloy wheel (Style 137) replaces 20-spoke alloy wheel (Style 73) in Sport Package
    330i and 330xi
    Black headlight surrounds and grill will replace titan silver.
    Lower grill will be a combination of body color and black.
    5-spoke alloy wheel (Style 137) replaces 20-spoke alloy wheel (Style 73) in Sport Package
    325i and 330i - Coupe and Convertible
    If you opt for xenon's you'll get the adaptive bi-xenons.

I know i'll sound like a nut saying this, but if there is one singular feature of our 2004 convertible that i've to pick that really tickles my fancy, its the adaptive bi xenon's... i'd spend the money just for them...

yeah, it tickles my fancy
    my 8 cents
    ksso
  • blueguydotcomblueguydotcom Member Posts: 6,249
    That's the only option I wish my car had. Oh well, the standard bi xenons get the job done. I get enough freaking people blinking their lights at me. I've figured out if I turn on my fogs people don't flash their brights. Guess they figure if I have 4 lights on that's why it's so bright. :)
    shouldn't they still be auto leveling on your 2003?
    ksso
    They are. Which freaks out passengers when we're moving.
  • jgwaltneyjgwaltney Member Posts: 39
    opportunity to buy 2002 330ci from 1 owner w/ 17,000 miles(previously was bmw exec car for first 8,000 mi red w/ tan leather
    sport+prem paks, xenons, hk stereo upgrade, parkdistance, basically totally loaded
    all serv records, etc. - car is mint
    asking 32,900 - can prob get for betw
    $31,500-32,000
    have ck all edmunds tmv, kbb, etc - price seems good - what's the consensus of this esteemed group?
    Thanks White6. Great info. Do you have a URL for the source of this info? Will have to go check out the new wheels.
    Anyone got info on the Bluetooth Phone Option that may be an option for 2004 BMWs? Seeing some various press releases on the web from the phone industry, but no details about which BMW models. Would be great not to be stuck with a built in phone.
    i have a bluetooth wireless system that i've been using for a while (the bmw is my wife's car). I picked up a bluetooth kit last year on one of my visits to Germany because my GSM phone is bluetooth enabled. I installed it in my car on my own. To be completely honest, bluetooth is not the best wireless tech for the phone I use, the Sony Ericsson T68i. I have a lot of signal loss and we are talking of a phone that is barely 3-4 feet away. For some freaky reason, the bluetooth headset works best at airports when i wear it on the same side that has my phone...

Anyway, there are other options to explore in wired phone units from your own wireless carrier, I'm sure.

ksso
    As someone who is trading in his Honda for a Bimmer, I am now pondering the changes listed above in 04. Wonder what this is going to look like:
     - Black headlight surrounds and grill will replace titan silver.
     - Lower grill will be a combination of body color and black.
    Looked at the 04 Coupe and they still have Silver. I like the silver highlights on the grill and lights. Is this change to make it look like the 5 or 7 series - I will have to dig up a picture to see?
    Ksoman, any verification that there will be Adaptive Headlights in the 04 Sedans? Did not see it in the above list. Believe they had to redesign the 04 Coupe Headlights to make them fit right and give the light coverage on the sides. Same plan for the sedans? Looks to only be about $100 more in Xenon light prices when comparing the 03 Sedan options with the current 04 Coupe options.
    am not sure if the 04 sedans are coming out with the bi xenons, but if they do, i'd believe the sedan front will be identical to the convertible... largely because the height of the bixenons is lesser than the lights it replaced and hence the front of the car was slightly lowered... just the front of the hood (bonnet.. hahahaha), or maybe its the other way around, the lights are not as tall as last year cuz they planned to lower the hood's front by 1/2 to 3/4 of an inch...

as for the grill, the 04 convertible has a chrome surrounded grill

ksso
    How many smurfs do you think they have to kill for each Laguna Seca Blue M3?

8|
    i just saw what looked like a brand new 320i... but right now i'm in toronto...
    hmm
    ksso
    did it look like a production model or a prototype?
    I take it back. They're listed on the BMW.ca website. Guess the Canucknuckleheads get a 2.0 liter 3-series we don't...

(calm down, I'm from Calgary originally!)

:)
  • brave1heartbrave1heart Member Posts: 2,698
    Who are all these people? Been keeping up with the board but too busy to contribute. Hope everyone is doing well.
    Found this site when I was researching the 2004 rim changes. http://www.kalach.easynet.be/bmw_wheels.htm
  • rqcrqc Member Posts: 95
    >All 3 Series Models
    > 6-Speed SMG Transmission will be available on all rear-wheel-drive 3 Series, combined with the Sport Package. Not available with all-wheel-drive or 330i Performance Package
    >If you opt for xenon's you'll get the adaptive bi-xenons.

Can anyone confirm this? The BMW website seems to indicate the adaptives are only on the coupe/convertible so far, not the sedan. And nothing about the SMG for the sedan.
  • kdshapirokdshapiro Member Posts: 5,751
    Had someone at my house to do some work. I noticed his car, he noticed my BMW and then we started talking cars. His family had a '92 BMW that went the distance to 300,000 miles before falling apart. He said he did virtually nothing except scheduled maintance to this vehicle. He then added, that it was the best car he ever owned.

In addition, I recently saw a 524td in very good condition. What a cool looking car that was.
    Someone posted this over on bimmerfest; it was copied from a news item in Owners Circle. I jumped over and read it (couple of weeks ago) but now it's gone???!!! At any rate, this info actually came off of the bmwusa.com website.
  • rqcrqc Member Posts: 95
    Maybe the bmwusa.com site doesn't show the options for the sedan because the 04 sedan specs aren't up there yet. Maybe when the 04 sedan is there, we'll see those configurations. It would be quite interesting to see if the really offer SMG.
  • bmwdriver02bmwdriver02 Member Posts: 46
    Wife and I were looking at an A4 for the replacement of her 99 Accord. After some time, she decided to also look at the 325i. We have decided on Silver Gray Metallic but not sure on Gray Leather or Black Leather/Leatherette. Which color interior is better suited to that exterior color? She likes the gray interior but she says she is tired of the gray interior because I have it on my 02 530i. I have heard that the wood trim in the Premium Package sort of "disappears" in the black interior. Is this true?
    I have the Titanium Silver with a black interior on my convertible. For general appearance I like the black much better than the grey leather. The black tends to overshadow the wood trim a bit (mine is the dark grey brushed "titan shadow" titanium trim, and it is almost invisible against the black dashboard and doors.

I used to swear by the wood finish (I had it on both a Sand Leather and Cinnamon Leather interior), but lately the titanium/alunimum silver trims have been growing quite a bit on me. I think they look quite spiffy with a black interior if you're willing to order the different trim from BMW (on a side note, I've seen a both a 330ci cab and M3 cab in black with red seats and the silver trim, and I absolutely LOVED it).

I've heard that the grey leather is harder to keep clean than the black leather. I don't know if it's true, but I do seem to need to clean my sand more often than the black to keep it looking immaculate.

I strongly considered a grey interior for my car, but mostly becuse I worried the black would be too hot in the convertible. So far, the color has been fine, although it's mostly garaged and I don't leave it baking out in the sun in, say, Thousand Oaks or Camarillo.

For the coupe or the sadan I would have leaned stringly towards black for aesthetics. In my opinion the black interior on a silver car lends the car a slightly more elegant, immaculate look.
  • sunilbsunilb Member Posts: 407
    I've seen these in a M3 in my neighborhood, but on the BMW site... it doesn't offer these in either the 330i or 330ci.

Does anyone know if these are available (ie, via special order or ED)? They look incredibly sweet!
    I've heard that the grey leather is harder to keep clean than the black leather. I don't know if it's true, but I do seem to need to clean my sand more often than the black to keep it looking immaculate.

I'd suggest against gray leather (I have it). Go for black. We have AC so the heat isn't really an issue. ;)
    sunilb: i know for MY2001, the red leather seats were an option. i've seen it on a 330Ci (Titanium Silver with Red interior)

scipio1: well its not blazin hot here in NYC but hey, it does have its hotter than normal moments.

blueguydotcom: how many miles do you have on yours? how is the silver gray workin out?
    I have put 2200 miles on it in 5 weeks. Oops. Too damn much fun. But so much fun I have a feeling I will own the car for a long time. God I hope it stays together. I sincerely love every second in it.

Though I'm killing my pocketbook with my 21 mpg driving style!
    You have a good place to park it. :)

I spent the first half of my career in New York. Living on the West Side, it never ceased to amaze me: all those nice cars street-parked, all of them with nasty dings up an down the sides. Ouch.

I tell my wife that every one in a while, I kind of miss the steamroom days in Manhattan where it's so hot and humid it just soaks you from head to toe (she thinks I'm crazy)... one of my best memories was taking an afternoon walk with my date and her sister through SoHo to Washington Sq Park in just that sort of heat. . Of course, I also remember climbing down into the subway at Canal and feeling like the humidity in the tunnel just sits on you like a big fat panting dog.

Is the car going to live in the city, or in CT/NJ? I still say go with black int.
  • bavarianbavarian Member Posts: 63
    A big HOWDY and long time no-see!
    I have just returned from my dealership, having placed an order for a new car to replace my leased
    325i which I have been driving with a big grin since Oct 2000.

Here is his replacement;

2004 325Ci
    5 speed
    Sports Package
    Gray Green
    Xenon Adaptive Headlights
    Sand leather
    Wood trim
    Moonroof
    Navigation
    Cold Weather package (Chicago in winter)
    Harman Kardon

MSRP as configured 39,245
    My price 35,425 as I am picking it up in Munich September 15 before driving to Berlin which will be my base for daily excoursions. I will still have my current car to take the sting off the wait for the car to be shipped back to Indiana.

Thanks to all who have written about ED over the past 3 years, including Postoak,Sievwright and Shipo and to Div2, Shipo and my main man Brave1heart (among others) for banging the manual gearbox drum loud enough to wake up the neighbors.

I optioned the car pretty heavily as I am buying it with long term ownership in mind and once it's paid off- BMW is giving me 2.9% financing for 60 months (Yikes!)-it will leave me free to get a 2nd BMW used for even more fun (Z3M coupe??)

Also, when I hear talk of the next 3 design being bigger and more new 5 series like, I think I'd like to have a current offering before "flame surfacing" and headlight "eyebrows" creep into the mix.

Thanks to Dale Dabrowiak (and Chris Egan) at Basney BMW in South Bend Indiana for being real professionals and good guys over my past three years experience. I had no hesitation in giving them more business.

My total expenses in the past three years on this fabulous car were $550 for a new set of Bridgestones before I hand it back.

The car itself has cost me ZERO in maintenance.

Roll on September!!

Norris
  • fredmcmurrayfredmcmurray Member Posts: 215
    BGDC - At that rate, you're going to have to park it in your garage for the last 18 months of your lease. :)
    Yeah, I'm sorta way over for the lease. A purchase may be the only option. Of course quite a bit can change in a few years. Maybe I should get a BMW CC, pay off any extra miles. LOL

My total expenses in the past three years on this fabulous car were $550 for a new set of Bridgestones before I hand it back.

Wow, I topped that in just one month: bumper repair for a hit and run driver and a new tire (impossible to find) to replace one that shredded last week.
  • kdshapirokdshapiro Member Posts: 5,751
    The car will stay together longer than you. 21 mpg is not bad for someone with an extremely agressive driving style. The hit and run wasn't your fault, but tires do get expensive.
  • imanrdimanrd Member Posts: 11
    I am considering just getting stock seats, but would like to know if people that have lived with them for a while are happy with them. Are the sports seats (the ones w/o lumbar support) that much better ?
    scipio1: live in queens, commute to L.I. so thank goodness good ole Manhattan dings will be non- existant :) out in L.I., dings aren't really a problem...unless you go out to Roosevelt Field Mall and your car will be totalled with all those dings! the car won't be parked in a bad place...just in driveway or maybe 2 houses down or somewhere along those lines but not in the driveway.

P.S. i agree with you about the subway...WOOHOO that is one hot place!
  • jbailey6jbailey6 Member Posts: 13
    I have a new BMW 330xi. I'm still getting accustomed to it. In trying to park it today, I guess I drove the front passenger-side tire over the curb. I didn't realize I had done this until I heard a clunking sound. When I inspected the front passenger-side tire, I noticed a 1/2 inch abrasion or rough area in the edge of the rim and a superficial tear in the side wall of the tire just where it adjoined the roughened part of the rim. The rubber of the side wall has separated there leaving a loose tag about 1/2 inch long and 1/4 inch wide through which I can see the inner tube of the tire. I have 17 x 7 alloy wheels and 205/50 R 17 93 V Continental tires. I do not have the sports package. My questions are are as follows:
    1. Is a small separation of the outermost layer of the tire likely to lead to problems in the future such as slow loss of pressure? I'll be checking the pressure tomorrow at a filling station, but it appears to be fine now.
    2. Can such a small separation progress and cause a wider separation of the outer rubber layer?
    3. Admittedly, I was very clumsy in what I did. However, with an 330 xi, is it not designed to withstand uneven surfaces? I was driving very slowly and the front wheel must have gone over the curb and then dropped about 6 inches.
    4. Is there any type of repair that can or should be performed for this type of damage?

I'd greatly appreciate the advice of the experts at this site. I've never had this type of problem with a tire before although I've done this type of dumb thing a few times in the past! Thanks! Jim
  • nyccarguynyccarguy Member Posts: 16,429
    On my daily commute (home) from The Bronx to Manhattan, I travel down the Westside Highway. Today I noticed a Dark Blue 3er in my rearview (approaching rapidly). As the car came closer I was able to tell it was an M3! The M3 was Mystic Blue Metallic w/ a Black Interior...absolutely gorgeous (you should have seen the girl driving it too...giddyup). But what a color!

Street parking: Yeah I park my Prelude on the street every night. It's always fun:) One morning last week I came out and found it sandwiched between an Escalade and a Dodge Ram.

bmwdriver02: Go with the black interior:) Yeah it gets hot, but the A/C will cool it down within a few minutes.

bavarian: Congrats on ordering your new car. You'll have to post your ED experiences. Way to go on the stick:)

2001 Prelude Type SH, 2022 Highlander XLE AWD, 2022 Wrangler Sahara 4Xe, 2023 Toyota Tacoma SR 4WD

• jean7of9jean7of9 Member Posts: 192
    Sorry to hear about this incident and the damaged tire. I recommend you not to take any chance. For the sake of your safety take it to the dealer and let him evaluate the damage and repair/replace it if necessary. Any such damage can lead your tire to blown up at high speed.
  • riezriez Member Posts: 2,361
    jbailey6... jean7of9 is absolutely correct. Tires are too important to take any chance on. Get them inspected. Worse that will happen is you pay for a tire repair or have to buy a new tire. Are they ContiTouringContacts? Not sure what the Xi's ride on. But if Continental CTCs, a new one will only cost you about $60-70.
    2.9 for 60 months? Wow, that's great. Is this from BMW Financial? Best I've seen from them is 5.15% on 2004 model. My 04 330Ci should be ready to pick up early next week... the boat arrived in S.C. last Friday. I was all set to get 4.49% from local credit union, but if BMW is offering 2.9, I'll definitely look into it.
  • sailoverfuelsailoverfuel Member Posts: 82
    "MSRP as configured 39,245
    My price 35,425 as I am picking it up in Munich September 15 before driving to Berlin which will be my base for daily excoursions. I will still have my current car to take the sting off the wait for the car to be shipped back to Indiana."

I have never bought a car in Europe and flown there before its shipped to the US. How does that work? Sorry for the lack of experience. Is the price you quoted US price delivered to the mainland or do you have to pay for shipping? Or do you save the approximate 4K and then spend $ for shipping? How much is it to ship a car from that part of Europe to Indiana?

So many questions. It may be cheaper to buy it in the US and just travel to Europe and rent a niiiiice car! Thats with the current prices being offered here in the USA.