Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

BMW 3-Series 2005 and earlier

Comments

• tenet1tenet1 Member Posts: 354
    Like I said, I drove a comparable 330 and not a 330 ZPP.
  • memphis10memphis10 Member Posts: 161
    0-60, 325 Manual is at 7.1 compared to 7.0 for 330ia and 6.4 for 330i 6 speed. Haven't heard people complaining about 330 auto to be slow so why would the 325 5 speed be.
  • blueguydotcomblueguydotcom Member Posts: 6,249
    0-60, 325 Manual is at 7.1 compared to 7.0 for 330ia and 6.4 for 330i 6 speed.

I've seen mostly 6 second or a tad higher on the 330i manual runs. But he asked about the ZHP - that's a 5.6 car according to C & D. Even BMW's conservative estimates put it at 5.9. The guy was asking if the 325i would be adequate...not if he's driven a 330i ZHP or G35 6 MT and he likes power.

Haven't heard people complaining about 330 auto to be slow so why would the 325 5 speed be.

I'd complain about the 330i auto being slow. :) And before anybody questions how often you use all the power, I'll tell you: daily. Every freeway entrance is an excuse to take that sucker to right below redline. I bought a sports sedan to experience the sports side. If I wanted just adequate engine performance, I would have stuck with my 1.8T Jetta or switched to the TSX.

To me the 325i manual is the halfway there model of the 3 series. It's got the handling prowess but its engine limits the driver from really exploiting that chassis.
  • mrman_3k3mrman_3k3 Member Posts: 17
    Okay, I am wondering which would have a higher lease and by how much. First, we are Costco Members and I wanted to know how much of a discount that can get if anyone knows? I am going to assume about$1-2K over invoice for now. So I virtually built the 325 we would want and it comes to $36K after $1K added to invoice. The ZHP with $1K added to invoice would be around $41K with the options we want. So, does anyone know the approximate residual for a 36 month lease? If the difference is not much between the 325 and ZHP, then the choice is obvious.
  • topspin628topspin628 Member Posts: 373
    First of all it seems almost unbelievable that on the high performance 330i, the high performance M option of SMG will not be offered. Why could that possibly be?
    I am looking for input from people who have "lived" with SMG to get an idea of how they like it. Is it something that you use in "manual" mode or do you get tired of it and put it in "auto"? In auto do you find that the ride is annoyingly rough compared to step or do you like the "edge" it gives the car? I think that SMG might be a good alternative for my next car (I have a 330i sp, step) and drive in tons of stop and go so I'm not really sure I'd be happy with a stick full time. Also, my wife doesn't drive one and I'd like the flexibility to switch cars at times.
    Any input is appreciated. SMG- here to stay and great improvement or fad and gimmick soon to disappear?
    check in with the cats over at the 3 series coupe area. M3s have SMGs so you might find some owners over there.
  • bmw323isbmw323is Member Posts: 410
    You've stated a couple of times that you do not like the 6 speed in you ZHP 330i. Why? I thought this 6 speed was supposed to be a special short throw, and be even better than the standard 330i 6 speed.

I have a 5 speed. While I like the feel overall, I am constantly frustrated that every-once-in-a-while the shift from 1st to 2nd gives me a "kick back" through the linkage and it is very easy to miss 2nd gear. One of these times I'm going to over rev the engine and I've already had it grind a few times (embarrassing with others in the car, since I've driven sticks for 30 years). Do you notice this?
    Hello Blueguy, could you show me a link where I could view a few pictures of your ZHP? I also would like to chat with you about it if possible over MSN Messenger if you have it. My screenname is mrman_3k@msn.com
    bmw323is:

My six speed's a nightmare. I've owned manual Fords, Nissans and VWs and I've never had a car with such an awful tranny. Quite often it flatout will not come out of a gear, even with the clutch slammed to the floor. It can't keep up with my shifts so a quick snap from 1 to 2 or 2 to 3, so on, isn't possible as when it does disengage from a gear it's as if I'm then trying to guide the shifter through a mass of tangled wires. Other times I simply can't get it into a gear - usually 3rd, so I must go to 4th. The shifter reminds me of the last ford mustang I drove, a 2001, - vague, harsh, binding, unruly, mercurial and all around awful. But the car's fun, even if the six speed's a massive pile of doodoo. Thankfully you can hold gears with the strong engine...lol

If my car had the TSX's buttery-smooth tranny I'd be in heaven. But alas, I have garbage. Oh well.

mrman:

http://blue-guy.com/images/Direct_Front.jpg
    http://blue-guy.com/images/Front_Left.jpg
    http://blue-guy.com/images/Side.jpg
    http://blue-guy.com/images/Rear_Left.jpg

Sorry, no MSN or AIM.
    So would you recommend that I do not get the 330 ZHP and go for the normal model instead? It also sounds like your transmission is defective, I couldn't imagine all of the ZHP trannys being like that.
    I'd say get what you like. My tranny is odd, but I haven't heard many, if any complaints from other ZHP owners at bimmerfest. Just drive it. I didn't buy my car thinking it would be perfect - it's a german car, so I expect now that it'll have weird quirks and expensive problemd eventually.
  • kennynmdkennynmd Member Posts: 424
    I bought a 03 325Ci steel blue/sand leather with prem. pack, xenons, steptronic, and heated seats. Msrp was $37,095.00. I got it for 34k out the door. Taxes, and all included. A great buying experience. I got it from Tischer BMW in Silver Spring MD.
  • hoopsrefhoopsref Member Posts: 140
    Congratulations. Nice car! What was the invoice on this? When we are discussing prices on this board, it is only helpful if you let us know the invoice price and let us know if any factory incentives were involved. The taxes... will vary greatly by state, so it does not help your fellow posters when they are negotiating. For example, did you get any of the "trunk money"? (factory to dealer incentive is about $2500 on the 325c's. You should be able to get $1,500 of it). I am not sure the dealer did you any favors. No wonder it was a "good buying experience"....extra profit for them! I don't mean to sound tough, but I have helped others here and I know you have been posting here for a little while. With just a little work, people can save some money if they WANT to.

Edmunds has the invoice at $34,025. Even if you add the MACO of @$360, that's an invoice of $34,385: less $1,500 incentive = $32,885. That being said, supply & demand "could" affect your price, also.

Have fun dude. Get a radar detector. I remember those MD troopers are tough. I remember they used to have a TRACTOR TRAILER, called "big mama", that had a radar gun mounted in the rear tail light! Those guys are sneeky. I think they were one of the first ones using Ford Mustangs to catch speeders also.
  • kyfdxkyfdx Moderator Posts: 235,188
    Very nice.. Was there much selection on the '03 coupes? None left at the two local dealers here.

regards,
    kyfdx

Edmunds Price Checker
    Edmunds Lease Calculator
    Did you get a good deal? Be sure to come back and share!

Edmunds Moderator

• igorvodovigorvodov Member Posts: 14
    Kennynmd,
    Do you know if there is a factory to dealer incentive on the 325i or 325xi? It would surely be nice to get $1500 of the invoice on those cars. I went to a dealer in NJ and he was not willing to go anywhere lower than $1,500 over the invoice on those cars. I offered him $500 over the invoice on 03 325i and he just laughed and went into the long discussion how the car practically sells itself and blah, blah, blah.
  • kyfdxkyfdx Moderator Posts: 235,188
    No incentives on the '03 325i sedans.. just the coupes and convertibles.. 2.9% financing from BMWFS on the sedans, though.

Edmunds Price Checker
    Edmunds Lease Calculator
    Did you get a good deal? Be sure to come back and share!

Edmunds Moderator

I agree with kyfdx. Perhaps they may do something when the new ones are close to coming in, like they did with the 5's.
    igor...did you consider a 525? You maybe closer than you think in pricing, especially if dealers have fewer 3ers. Unless you feel totally underpowered, you may find the extra room... nice. I started out looking at the 325xi, then the 330i (for about the same price, & finally purchased a 530iA at $40,575 ($3200 below invoice). It was only a grand more than the 330 sedans. $3500 trunk money on the 525! Good luck.
  • igorvodovigorvodov Member Posts: 14
    I thought that I saw 2.9% financing. But the dealer was not even willing to give me that. He was swearing that it is 3.9% from BMWFS. Is it possible that the dealership is giving the customers 3.9 instead of 2.9 and pocketing 1% for their profit?
    I thought that I saw 2.9% financing. But the dealer was not even willing to give me that. He was swearing that it is 3.9% from BMWFS. Is it possible that the dealership is giving the customers 3.9 instead of 2.9 and pocketing 1% for their profit?

Very possible. Lots of dealers lie about MF and APR to pocket the profit. My dealer originally told me the MF on my 3 was .0019. I balked and he came down to 15, then 13. Figured it was really 12, so I could live with 13 - then I sprang the 10 multiple security deposits on him! Heh, heh, heh.
    I recently negotiated a deal on a 2003 325i. Paid $1000 over Edmunds invoice at 2.9% financing. Negotiated price includes everything except sales tax (includes, mats, doc fee, maco etc.) I live in a small market where it is a virtual monopoly for the dealer and therefore I think the deal was the best I could squeeze out of him.
    "Is it possible that the dealership is giving the customers 3.9 instead of 2.9 and pocketing 1% for their profit?"

I checked with atleast 10 dealers in Chicago, Dallas and Atlanta last week and all of them said 3.9% financing. They say that 2.9% is the buy rate from BMWFS and they have a 1% markup. About 4-6 weeks back, 2.9% was almost guaranteed and I think that something has transpired between BMWFS and the dealers. But again, you can still push them for 2.9% or get a lower selling price.
  • rmooresrmoores Member Posts: 4
    Will we see an all wheel drive 3-series coupe? I like the all wheel drive idea but prefer the 2 door.
  • tomlinstomlins Member Posts: 3
    Does anyone have any advice for what a 2002 325xit with premium package and 22k miles goes for? Also does anyone have anything good or bad to say about JMK BMW in New Jersey? Thanks.
  • seafseaf Member Posts: 339
    I see them on some BMWs in the front headlight, there are faint 'rings' around the actual projector, are they daytime running lights or parking lights? Seems kind of dim for DRLs, what bulbs do they use? 5W 20W? Thanks.
  • scipio1scipio1 Member Posts: 142
    They are for the 5-series, sometime referred to as daylight angel eyes (DAEs).

You can buy aftermarket ones for a 3-series for around $300. Do a search for Daylight Demon Eyes (or DDEs). I believe the state-of-the-art variety are called Generation V DDEs. Try E46 Fanatics for a referral for a good manufacturer.
  • 3series3series Member Posts: 1
    Just bought a 325i in North Carolina. I paid $500 over invoice and got 2.9% financing. My salesman first told me 3.9% was the best he could do. I did some research and found that 2.9% was out there so I called the same dealership, asked to speak to a different salesman, pressed about the 2.9% and that salesman admitted that the extra 1% was dealer profit. I then asked to speak to my salesman and told him what happened. He didn't put up much of a fight and gave me some story about his finance people not sharing the correct information. I didn't buy the excuse but I did buy the car. The delivery was fine and the vehicle has exceeded my expectations.
    I believe I got the best deal I could. The MSRP was 37,095. The invoice was 34,385. With the incentive of 2,500 negotiations started at 34,385 -2,500= 31,885. They asked for 500 over that which made it 32,385. With the taxes tags and stuff made the total around 34,200 or so. Therefore I said 34k out the door. The final negotaited price was 32,160. Which was almost 5k under MSRP and 2,200 under invoice. I think I did a good job and I'm extremely happy with the car. kyfdx...I actually was looking into a CPO because I went to 3 dealers and they didn't have any 03's in stock...just a couple of 04's. The dealer I went to had 5 I believe. 2 silver's, a green, a red, and a black. I got the steel blue that they had.
    I've been wanting a 3-series coupe for a while but living in the snowy northeast I'm concerned about the rear wheel drive. Is there any chance BMW will add all wheel drive to the two door line?
    You did get a great deal. Nice job. I was hoping the dealer was not trying to soak you.
    Check some prior posts here. Several posters have said that a good set of snows with BMW's DSC..., you will fine in most situations. I too, live in NE. I thought I wanted the 325xi at first, too. Then after some reading here..., I wound up with a 530 w/ sports pkg to boot (for about the same cost of a 330 sedan). When I really thought about the time I really would NEED the awd (less then 10%), I decided I would go for the fun ride 90% of time.
    I've been wanting a 3-series coupe for a while but living in the snowy northeast I'm concerned about the rear wheel drive. Is there any chance BMW will add all wheel drive to the two door line?
  • ksomanksoman Member Posts: 683
    does the rain sensing viper work???

ksso
  • ponytrekkerponytrekker Member Posts: 310
    would be an option I would NOT want . . . HSSSSS, but the rain sensing wiper . . .

But seriously, the rain sensing wiper works but it is not perfect. It usually takes too long to start in very light rain and doesn't work fast enough in hard rain. But it works and is a good alternative to having to turn intermittent wipers on and off.
  • scipio1scipio1 Member Posts: 142
    it needs to be "jump-started" if you left it on last time it rained. That is, it won't start the wipers by itself if it starts to rain, even if you have the rain-sensing setting selected. You need to either pull back on the wiper stick or turn it off and on again.

This, I understand, is to prevent the wipers from swatting you should you decide to wash the windows with the setting selected. I've found the rain sensor to work quite well, perhaps selecting a speed a smidgen slower than I would have ideally wanted, but very well nonetheless.
  • kdshapirokdshapiro Member Posts: 5,751
    scorpio1 is correct. If you shut the car off with the wipers in the rain sensing position it needs to be jiggered. Imagine if it weren't like that, leaving it on and then going into a car wash. Good bye wipers. I guess it's a safety feature, but I found once it's on, it works quite well. This is one option I thought would be useless, but in fact, as previously pointed out, saves the driver from dealing with the intermittent setting in intermittent rainy conditions. The fact the sensitity can be adjusted is a bonus, in addition to the fact, they are speed sensing. So when you stop for a light, they slow down.
  • riezriez Member Posts: 2,361
    Wife and I were sad to trade in the '00 323ia this afternoon. But her new Lexus IS300a is sweet. 3.0L I6, HID, 17 inch Z-rated tires, and LSD!!! Amazing how much car you get for the money. And the Lexus dealership treats you like kings in a royal setting. But her 323ia was a great car. She put on 34,000 miles in 19 months. She bought it CPO at 18,000 miles. I'd recommend a CPO 3 Series in a heartbeat.

Tried to get another 3 Series but 330i is just too expensive. IS300 had only $33,556 MSRP and that is with tons of goodies--HID, LSD, VSC, heated seats, sunroof, 6-disc CD, foglights, leather/Escaine, Homelink, pwr seats, auto dim mirrors, compass, auto climate, 240 watt stereo, and more! She paid $13,000 and her car. Got 3.39% financing for 60 months.
  • kdshapirokdshapiro Member Posts: 5,751
    Good luck with the IS. I hope you will be back and give us some updates as the car gets broken in. Too bad the comparison is against a 323, would have liked a real world owners opinion of 330 vs IS. I haven't seen a new IS how does it compare in terms of class and sophistication to the a new 3 series? In my book BMW makes cars that are equally beautiful inside and out, can't say the same for some other manufacturers.
  • riezriez Member Posts: 2,361
    kdshapiro... Don't forget I still have my 540i6.

New 330i just too expensive. I really, really wanted LSD and HID. Just can't beat the price. IS300 essentially comes with BMW-like Sport Pkg as standard (e.g., Sport-type steering wheel, 215/45ZR17 tires). Love the perforated Escaine seats. Bit like Alcantra.

The IS300 does cut some corners. Uses prop rod for the hood. Uses space-intruding goose-neck trunk hinges. No telescoping steering wheel. No memory seats (though that is coming out in '04).

The feel of the switchgear is impeccable on IS300. Seats very comfortable. Comprehensive gauge cluster (has 1 more than 3 Series). Some nice small touches like dual trip odometers. Standard 6-disc in-dash CD with 240 watt stereo and RDS radio and cassette. I like the look of the interior and dash. Love the metal pedals!

IS300 is a value-laden boy racer with great warranty (4/50 b-to-b and 6/70 powertrain, plus you can by a b-to-b extension from Lexus) and outstanding build quality. (Check out the CR reliability data.) But you only get first two maintenance services free.
  • imadroneimadrone Member Posts: 33
    Ordered a 325iT (Steel Blue/Gray, 5-sp, SP, H-K) a few months back for ED 10-17, but definitive pricing has not been available. Happy to report an E-mail from dealer this evening states NO price increase for 2004 per BMW. 3.74% 60 month from Costco/PeopleFirst. 3 1/2 weeks in Europe to break it in. Life is good.

Richard
  • nobeenobee Member Posts: 194
    I'm happy to report that I'm once again a BMW owner. Just finished the paperwork yesterday on a '04 325i w/ PP, Cold-wx, STEP, Xenon, Jet black w/ tan interior (a great combination, I might add). $30,475 + an outrageously high $1200 tranport cost--still below invoice so I can't complain...
    I was going to wait til the X3 came out but my last kimchee car got flooded and destroyed pretty much everything inside and plus I have a baby on the way so I needed something that would safely transport him from point a to b ;-).

imadrone Good to hear that there will not be a price increase! My dealer was still waiting to see if there was going to be one. Heard the automatic rear sunshade is an option on the '04 (at least for the 325i) and they also included the BMW assist into the premium pkg. Does anyone know what the BMW assist consists of? Integrated phone? Shark-fin antenna?

Glad to be back,
    Nobee
    Oops, spoke too soon. Someone posted the latest 04 sedan price listing on another board.
    http://myfilelocker.comcast.net/fdmeloan/2004_3_Series_Sedan_Pric- ing.pdf

-nobee
  • richjenkinsrichjenkins Member Posts: 55
    ...Are where exactly?
    That seems to be the biggest increase.
    -nobee
    Can you repost my comment? I don't think it was me that said that. Safety wise, I believe BMW goes above and beyond most manufactures. For instance, I was looking into the Jeep Grand Cherokee the other day and they wanted to charge over $400 USD on front and rear side-curtain airbags. A company that think airbags are optional does not hold safety as one of their core values thus does not earn my $$.

-nobee
  • hnielsenhnielsen Member Posts: 1
    I'm being transfered to Canada and would like to take my 6 month new 2003 325i (5 sd,premium,leather,xenon) with me from Texas. The company will ship for me.
    Is anyone familiar with the costs/issues I will have in bringing it over the border? Is the warranty still valid?
    The alternative is that I sell it. What is a realistic amount I could expect for showroom condition... 4400 miles
  • yama330yama330 Member Posts: 9
    I suspect that your best bet would be to sell your car in the US and buy a new one in Canada. All warranties and free service would be valid in Canada, but you may need a cold weather upgrade if your car does not have it. You would also need to have the DRL's enabled. In any case, check the Canadian MSRP build-your-own pricing at www.bmw.ca before you decide. Note that the standard package and options are slightly different from the US model.

Taking into account the currency exchange (US$ = 1.40 C$) and sales tax, you should be able to get a 330i for the same price as a 325i. GST (federal) is 7%. The provincial sales tax would depend on the province you are moving to. For example Ontario has an 8% PST and Alberta has no PST.
  • msknet1msknet1 Member Posts: 1
    I bought a 2000 323ia w/premium package CPO from a BMW dealer(production date 7/99) with 45,600 mi last fall (paid $24,900). I now have 62k mi and just love this car. During the winter I put on Dunlop Winter sport tires on Borbet wheels from tire rack. I previously owned an 1998 Olds Bravada. Given the nasty winter in New England it was an extreme test for the car during poor weather. I drive 53 miles one way to work. What a great vehicle in the snow. So secure and stable.

The car drives and handles nicely and is easy to drive on long trips. Fuel economy reaches 29-30 mpg (calculated)during my runs to work. No problems, very reliable. Dealerships were great.

Make sure you check these cars over before purchase. I suggest a dealership and make sure you get all of the CPO paperwork. The work done in checking and preparing my vehicle was extensive. You won't get this from an independent dealer.
    Back in 2002, I ran into the same predicament that you are in. I purchased a '02 325i (metallic paint, STEP, xenon, PP, Cold-wx Pkg) through the diplomatic/military program in Germany and found out a few months later that I was being transferred to Korea. Since I didn't want to take it to Seoul, I decided to have it shipped over to Seattle and try to sell it there while transferring from Germany.

Once the vehicle arrived in port, there were a few problems with a broken windshield being the biggest. No problem...I got an estimate and they cut me a check. What was interesting, however, was that while all the other cars received carwashes, they refused to touch mine saying that they didn't want to damage the paint with their rough sponges! You gotta respect the paint, dude! ;-)

To make a long story short, took possession of the car in Dec '02, shipped it in Jun, sold it in Sep for ~28K. Overall, lost ~2K USD on the deal (purchased it for 30K USD) but I had to sell it quick. I think you could do better--but not too bad since I drove it for over 6 months and put over 8K miles on it.

Good luck,
    -nobee
    for my 03 325Ci that I just got. I didn't get the sport package therefore I was looking for the clear corner and sidemarker lights. I found a couple of sites but they only advertised for year 99-01. I can;t find a site for 03's. PLease help! Thanks