Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

BMW 3-Series 2005 and earlier

Comments

• brave1heartbrave1heart Member Posts: 2,698
    My biggest gripe with the A4 is that the air filter is a total pain to replace. I read a dozen of horror stories about the air filter being very hard to reach, and that you need an oil filter wrench that fits and that the filter is on so tight, most people screw it up and get it stuck that I decided it's not worth my time and esp. risk to do it. With the BMW, an oil and filter change is a no-brainer, esp. with a fluid extractor like the one on div2's picture. Not to mention that with the synthetic oil, you only have to do it once ~ 15K miles or so.
    I'd forgotten how good the Dunlop M2 WinterSport tires are. They came in very handy with the 5+ inches of snow that we already got in the Boston area.
  • jim1395jim1395 Member Posts: 34
    just testedout my new dunlop m2's on my new 325i. great tires!. we've got about 10" here in CT. i've forgotten how fun rwd can be.
    ... just as good at their max speed rating as they are in 5" of snow. Don't ask me how I know :o)
  • efxxefxx Member Posts: 24
    I've been impressed so far at how well my '02 325i has been handling in the snow. Its handled well after the 20+ inches of snow we got last year in the Boston area and after the ~18 inches of snow we got this weekend and this is with the stock Conti all-season tire.

After witnessing what my pops went through with his Volvo 760GLE I was reluctant at first to get a RWD car.
  • gordonwdgordonwd Member Posts: 337
    Being somewhat of an old-timer, when I have my oil changed I always say "oil change and lube", since my old cars always had ball joints, etc. that needed regular shots of lube. Is there anything on the chassis that needs regular lubricating on modern German cars? If not, then I probably will go to the self-changes after my initial included services are over with.
  • petrarchpetrarch Member Posts: 28
    I've got an '02 325i, too, and I just moved from CA to NH. It's handling has indeed been impressive.

Quick question: The manual says to drive the car upon starting, instead of letting it sit and warm up for a while. Did I misread, or is this truly the appropriate action on these cold days?
  • div2div2 Member Posts: 2,580
    Nope, there are no grease fittings on any BMW built since @1972.
    the manuals correct. after startup wait a few seconds then drive off keeping rpm's on the low side until the car is completely warmed up. it saves gas, warms not only the engine quicker but also the drivetrain and lubricates the engines moving parts better.
  • ksomanksoman Member Posts: 683
    most new cars are made to be driven quickly without warm up... in addition to what jim said, it has to do with reducing emissions and the use of storage type catalytic converters.. its true of a number of brands... the only reason to warm it up is cuz it's too freaking cold to be sitting in one sometimes.

does anyone else thing that when you get into a car sitting out in the cold, the inside of the car is colder than the outside even with wind howling?

ksso
  • ptrekkerptrekker Member Posts: 51
    I have to warm up the car so the interior is tolerable and so the ice melts off the windows.
  • petrarchpetrarch Member Posts: 28
    Thanks, guys. This board rules.
    I have a 40-yr old wall heater in the basement. Even after we had the chimney flute swept, it still registers ~ 26 ppm of CO within seconds of starting it up. The CO alarm that I bought at Home Depot does not go off unless there's been constant radiation of 50+ ppm for ~ 5 min straight or so. I was curious what kind of CO these new cars with improved emissions let out and moved the CO detector to our garage for a test once. Within seconds of starting the car up, the CO alarm registered ~ 35 ppm of CO. Not nearly enough to kill you but I would not leave a car running in the garage for more than a minute tops. I hope that when you warm up your car like that you have the wisdom to at least do it outside. And I also hope that your car is leased because running the engine at idle until the car warms up can't be too good long-term :o)
  • sjmurray3sjmurray3 Member Posts: 90
    Has anyone seen any metrics re: build quality/reliability of 325is made in South Africa vs. 325is or 330s made in Germany? Very curious as I make my third offer tomorrow evening! Scott
  • ddblueddblue Member Posts: 117
    My 01 325Ci just passed 39K on the odometer. Since my free oil changes are a distant memory, I opted to buy the Griot's oil extractor. Bought a BMW filter and 6 quarts of Mobil 1 5W30. Took all of ten minutes to do the whole oil change. Very easy. I'd rather do this than take the time to drive it to the dealership, anyway.

I also did the rear brake pads and sensor. This took longer, of course. About 1.5 hours. Not too shabby. Get yourself a 7mm allen socket, not just a 7mm allen wrench (the shock gets in the way).

Next: front pads and rotors!
  • sopecreeksopecreek Member Posts: 203
    How/where do you dispose the used oil?
  • optiopti Member Posts: 2
    I've leased a 2001 330i which is up.Looking to keep it(purchase price $31,735 cnd +2,000 for x-warr.)or replace with 2004 325i.The 325i is 43,500+freight 1,295. Leasing new car would have lower monthly costs and warranty. 330i still running great and has more options.Which would you choose?
  • chaseboychaseboy Member Posts: 30
    Does anyone know if the radios in the BMW 3 series have the option of pre-set radio station scanning, in addition to regular scanning that scans all local frequencies? Thanks.
  • ptrekkerptrekker Member Posts: 51
    >>>I hope that when you warm up your car like that you have the wisdom to at least do it outside.

Not a member of the careful readers club, I see. I said "I have to warm up the car . . . so the ice melts off the windows."
    there are three FM groups on the radio, FM1 for the boss, FM2 for the non boss and FMA for the local scan... atleast on the 2004's...
    My town still has a "Keep the Community Clean" program. 20 years ago, nearly every gas station was part of the program, where they would accept oil and recycle it. Since many people abused the program by leaving old filters, rags, etc. at the stations, most owners took their names off the program.

As far as I know, there's only one station ten minutes away that still takes the oil. I funnel it into plastic milk cartons and take it there and pour it into their disposal unit myself. Call your local city hall and find out if they have such a program and which stations participate.
  • memphis10memphis10 Member Posts: 161
    Search this discussion board and you will find this topic (SA vs Germany) covered very well. In a nutshell, there is no evidence to prove that SA build quality is any different from German built quality. You can also find the JD Power survey that ranked the build quality of the BMW SA plant higher than their german plants. Engine and transmission is made in Germany for all 325 and 330. So don't worry where it is built. Dude, after all you are getting a BMW
  • hokie4hokie4 Member Posts: 4
    I recently purchased a South Africa built 325 and the fit and finish look great. My research into the quality of the SA built 325 was all positive. Also, memphis10 you said the engines and transmissions are built in Germany. My window sticker said the transmission was built in France, which surprised me.

Hokie...
  • walter12walter12 Member Posts: 30
    Our garbage company takes oil and filters as part of its recycling program. Other garbage companies may have the same service. If not, ask them for any names of local service stations that will take used oil. I seem to remember several stations and large outfits that do in the northern california area.
  • riezriez Member Posts: 2,361
    Isn't the 5-speed automatic tranny a GM product with BMW software? Thinking BMW has been using GM, ZF, and other automatic transmissions for years. Thinking the new 6-speed automatic is a ZF.
  • Kirstie_HKirstie_H Administrator Posts: 11,146
    A magazine reporter is hoping to interview a driver who bought his/her car since 2001 and has a favorite interior feature (factory- or dealer-installed) that makes the whole car seem more enjoyable and well-built. (Examples: outstanding seat comfort, dynamic stereo, convenient storage pockets, high-quality leather, functional cupholders, etc.) Please send your brief comments, vehicle model name and daytime contact info to jfallon@edmunds.com no later than 12/17/03.

MODERATOR /ADMINISTRATOR
    Need help navigating? kirstie_h@edmunds.com - or send a private message by clicking on my name.
    Share your vehicle reviews

you know, the magazine guys never contact me, the pollsters never call my phone #, i never win the lottery, etc., etc. & etc.

ksso
  • vkwheelsvkwheels Member Posts: 218
    I was interviewed a while back for something. He promised a copy of the final article but I never got it.
    I think you are right about the french made transmission. I wouldn't trust any French built product but everything is global these days. Does ZF also make the 5 speed and 6 speed manual trannies or is it made by Getrag?
  • nyccarguynyccarguy Member Posts: 16,373
    This evening I saw a brand new '03 325i that appeared to have 3 options: SP, Metallic Paint, & Steptronic. I really liked the Steel Blue/Black leatherette (I think) combo with the Titanium interior trim.

2001 Prelude Type SH, 2022 Highlander XLE AWD, 2022 Wrangler Sahara 4Xe, 2023 Toyota Tacoma SR 4WD

• marks1970marks1970 Member Posts: 25
    I've been doing a little research on the 2004 BMW 325i and 330i, and I'm having a really difficult time figuring out why on earth there is such a huge price premium on the 330i. The four main differences that I see are that the 330i comes with a sport suspension, power seats, a trip computer, and the larger engine. You can add the suspension (sport package), power seats, and trip computer to the 325i for about $2,500. So essentially you are paying approximately $4,500 for just the engine. That's absurd! Am I missing something, or does BMW enjoy gouging its customers for an engine that is pretty much standard in every other comparable luxury sedan?
  • blueguydotcomblueguydotcom Member Posts: 6,249
    So essentially you are paying approximately $4,500 for just the engine. That's absurd! Am I missing something, or does BMW enjoy gouging its customers for an engine that is pretty much standard in every other comparable luxury sedan?

Gouging? I so hate that anti-capitalist word. Gouging...sheesh, it's what the market will accept. That word makes BMW's prices out to be somehow "unfair" (as if life is fair) or as if BMW is "taking advantage" of the consumer. The buyers don't have to pay the extra $4500 for extra 40 hp.

And if we look at the sales numbers, decidely more people pay for the 2.5L 6 than they do for the 3L. Personally, I think most of those people are badge hounds but that's another discussion.

And comparable luxury sedans? Uh, the G35 compares to a BMW. That's it. Nobody else makes a nimble, RWD sports sedan. MB-s got a luxo-barge, Lexus has an Altezza with bad lights and Caddy's got a joke.
  • jb_shinjb_shin Member Posts: 357
    French built transmissions are built by a company owned by GM. ZF also builds 5 speed and (I think) 6 speeds. Getrag 6 speeds are used in M3, 540i, and M5, models that require more durable hardware.
  • tenet1tenet1 Member Posts: 354
    Ha!

I guess all 330 owners dont have a real car because they didnt buy an M3. The 530 and 545 are not real cars because they are not M5's

The 325 is a damn fine car!!
  • kyfdxkyfdx Moderator Posts: 235,188
    If you can't go fast with 90 horsepower, 900 is not going to help.

Edmunds Price Checker
    Edmunds Lease Calculator
    Did you get a good deal? Be sure to come back and share!

Edmunds Moderator

• kdshapirokdshapiro Member Posts: 5,751
    I'm a badge hound, I didn't get a BMW because it's a darn fine car. I didn't even get it because it's the benchmark for the sports sedan segment. I didn't get it because of the companys' reputation for building fine automobiles catering to the car enthusiast. I didn't even get it for the handsome looks or fine lines. I didn't get it for the fact it complains if it's driven under 120mph. I didn't get it because CR recommends it. I didn't get it because it ranks high in a number of JD Powers surveys, in some higher than the competition. I didn't get it because I have a choice of sedan, coupe, convertible, SAV, AWD, RWD, 2.5, 3, 4.5, v6, V8, V12, M or non-M, manual or steptronic all with the same fine engineering.

I got it - because it is a BMW!
  • erickplerickpl Member Posts: 2,735
    I think the CTS-V and the upcoming STS-V will bear some consideration. The styling is not quite my cup of tea, but it definitely stands out. If Cadillac can put out quality materials in their cars, there may be some new competition from an unexpected source.

As for badge hounds, most, not all, of us here I'm willing to guess have 325's. Not everybody needs the performance found in the 330's (with or without the ZHP). Yes I would have loved to have had the 330xi, but economically I could not justify it and have been EXTREMELY happy my 325xi. To call somebody a badge hound simply because they didn't buy the high end version of something is ridiculous.

-Paul
    thanks for nailing it.
    i'm sitting here trying to think of something to add........but i think you all have summed it up very nicely.

job well done!
  • div2div2 Member Posts: 2,580
    And there you have it; some people covet engine displacement in the fervent hope that it will compensate for other, shall we say, "shortcomings".
    Okay, I would love a Ferrari 575M Maranello, an Aston Martin Vanquish, a Porsche Carrera GT or just a BMW M5. Who wouldn't??? Most of us are lovers of performance and the badge part doesn't hurt either.

But there's reality. I can only afford my 325Ci. But what a purchase it was. I waited for six months to put down a decent down payment. I waited three months for delivery. And was I disappointed that it wasn't a 330Ci? He11 no! It's the best car I've ever owned. I trounces everything I've ever had the pleasure of planting my mushy butt in on the morning commute. It's quick, handles like a dream and still gets stares and compliments whenever I drive it. I don't care if it's not the fastest out there. I don't care if a Dodge Neon SRT, a VW Golf R32, a Nissan 350Z and even a V6 Honda Accord Coupe can beat me to 60 (Okay, my car's modded w/ a chip and CAI, so it's running low to mid 6s, so maybe not the Accord). It's a BMW and everything about it feels right. I drive it at about 7/10s on a regular basis and I still get excited when I take for a quick trip to the grocery store.

The silky I6, the sport seats, the ambient orange lighting, the three spoke wheel, the canted center console and the feel I get when I hit the apex---all of these are reasons why the 325Ci is more than enough car for me. Most people can't ever get to driving the car 9/10ths. I get to in my 3, and it's phenomenal. The roundel on the hood is just icing on the cake.
    i am still betting you are niether donkey, nor shrek... despite your comment ;)

ksso
  • postoakpostoak Member Posts: 537
    understating the case. When I ran the numbers the differential was $6300 extra for the 3 liter engine. Of course, someone will step in and tell you that you are getting some extras along with the engine for that price, but since they were extras I didn't care about -- I have to disregard that. I just wasn't willing to pay that extra $6300 so went with the 2.5 liter and to tell you the truth even IT has enough power to get me into trouble.
  • bryncerddbryncerdd Member Posts: 29
    I'm replacing the tires on my 2000 328i (PP and triptronic) and would like to enhance the handling. It's not bad, but I think it can be better (I wish I had ordered the sports package, but that's a matter of false economics). The standard tire is 205/55/16; the optional, higher performance size is 225/50/16. Both sizes have nearly the identical sidewall (112.75 vs. 112.5) I can't believe the .25 mm will make much difference. All other qualities being the same (brand, model, line of tire), do you folks who have experimeneted with this think the 225/50 will give perceptibly more crisp performance characteristics than the same tire in the 205/55 configuration? I don't think I necessarily need more rubber on the road, because I have rarely broken the existing 205/55 tires loose. Price is a consideration, but not the determining factor.I will appreciate any opinions you may offer, and offer my thanks in advance.
    The 325 is a damn fine car!!

To each his own. for the cost, IMHO, it's not.

I knew people would chafe even though I clearly wrote "most" 325 buyers are badge hounds. If one is offended by that, such is life. There was a modifier in my statement absolving true enthusiasts from being part of the crowd that has to flash the right jewelry, clothes and cars.

I believe most 525, 530 and 745 buyers a poseurs too. A great percentage of BMWs buyers in general, I believe, buy for the emblem and not the abilities of the car. But again, not all of the buyers do so to get the in car.
    Okay, so it's not really a comparison. The M3 is faster, handles better and is just plain bad to the bone. My friend has an E46 M3 6-spd. He drove my 325Ci and said that it's much easier to drive at the limit and is, in fact, more fun in everyday driving since you can push it harder and get more out of the car.

I'd love an M3, but my 325Ci is still my dream car that was within reach.
  • kdshapirokdshapiro Member Posts: 5,751
    "I knew people would chafe even though I clearly wrote "most" 325 buyers are badge hounds. If one is offended by that, such is life. There was a modifier in my statement absolving true enthusiasts from being part of the crowd that has to flash the right jewelry, clothes and cars.

I believe most 525, 530 and 745 buyers a poseurs too. A great percentage of BMWs buyers in general, I believe, buy for the emblem and not the abilities of the car. But again, not all of the buyers do so to get the in car."

Using the logic in your post any person who buys a car more expensive than a Hyundia is a poseur. I'm not sure where you draw the line in the sand between peoples buying motives of true enthusiast or poseur. It seems your defintion of a poseur is a buyer who buys something because he/she wants to drive it, instead of he/she wants to drive it as it was meant to be driven. Well in that sense, there isn't a driver amongst us in the crowd that isn't a poseur, because most of us would jump at the chance to drive the car of our dreams, even though we may not be able to drive it as intended.
    most of the people I see and know with 325i (and 5 series cars) buy them and drive them like grandmas. Some don't even know the car is RWD. We're talking lawyers, stock people, bankers, executives, etc. They bought the car because it looks good or as some will tell you, "Because it's a BMW."

It has nothing to do with what the car can do but what it represents to them. They buy the 325i because it gets them a BMW - the brand.
    If blueguy had a M3 he would say that 330i ZHP is a piece of crap. Right Dot.
    Memphis, I never wrote that the 325i is a crappy car. I have steadfastly held that I did not buy the 325i because I felt the car's performance didn't match the high price tag. Price it 1k over a TSX (27-28k loaded with everything but navi) and I would have bought it and been happy as a pig in... The RWD/handling was worth an extra grand to me. Everything else was as good or better in the BMW's cheaper competition.

The 330i gave me enough bang for my buck. I'm happy to pay 5-6k a year to be amped beyond all belief everytime I walk by my ZHP. When I drive it, oh man it's a slice of heaven. But would I have prefered an M3 sedan with xenons and moon for 3 or 4k more? Yep.