Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!
Options

BMW 3-Series 2005 and earlier

Comments

• Options
    jim1395jim1395 Member Posts: 34
    if you luv the wife, get the snows.
  • Options
    riezriez Member Posts: 2,361
    kyfdx... Do NOT use 3-season summer tires in winter. They are great on dry and wet (rain) surfaces, but not on snow or ice. BMW Sport Pkgs normally come with summer tires. Read the sidewall of your Bridgestones to see if they are all-season or not. Look for the symbol.
  • Options
    ddblueddblue Member Posts: 117
    All seasons are okay, but since you have SP, then I would get the snow tires (Dunlop Wintersport M2s with an extra set of 15 or 16 steel wheels from the tirerack).

If it's your wife's car and she's not used to driving RWD, I would opt for snows over all-seasons. Guaranteed she will get stuck if you stick with the SP tires.
  • Options
    kyfdxkyfdx Moderator Posts: 237,185
    The OEM tires are definitely all-season.. I'm thinking about just this first winter, since December is almost over by the time I get the car on Saturday. Considering just swapping cars with her on the bad days for this winter, and waiting for next fall to do the snow tire thing. I've got vast experience with snow and poor traction, so I think I can muddle through.

Even though we can get some really nasty weather, there are only about 5 days per winter in this area, when you really need that extra traction. I just can't bring myself to put 16" aftermarket or steel wheels on the car for 3 months per year. Has anyone put 17" snows on, in the stock sport package size? Thats another reason I want to wait until next year... Looking for time to find a used set of factory 17" rims to put the snows on. I know I have to do it eventually, but trying to skip this winter. Who thinks I'm an idiot for getting 17" snow tires?

regards,
    kyfdx (who loves his wife)

Edmunds Price Checker
    Edmunds Lease Calculator
    Did you get a good deal? Be sure to come back and share!

Edmunds Moderator

• Options
    ksomanksoman Member Posts: 683
    there is no option B.. get winter tires. if anyone, anyone at all tells you winter tires are unnecessary, consider yourself exposed to substantial car damage and life threatenings risks... accidents dont happen with warnings... and then they wont be accidents but self inflicted stupidity...

ksso
  • Options
    erickplerickpl Member Posts: 2,735
    You sure have a way of being subtle. :) heheheh

-Paul
  • Options
    Now, I really don't have any options!! I'd never be able to show my face on Edmunds again, if I don't get the snows! LOL

Hey..Isn't anyone going to ask me about the car? I mean, where is the love?

regards,
    kyfdx

Edmunds Price Checker
    Edmunds Lease Calculator

Edmunds Moderator

• Options
    jim1395jim1395 Member Posts: 34
    are you sure they are all season tires cause a 2003 325i w sport pack should not have all season tires. it should have 225/45/17 performance tires as oem. mine are conti sport contacts.
  • Options
    They are Potenzas... which ones, I don't recall.. I could have sworn they were all-season. They are definitely the 225/45/17 size. If you are correct, there is no way I'll get through on them this winter. Thanks..

kyfdx

Edmunds Price Checker
    Edmunds Lease Calculator

Edmunds Moderator

• Options
    div2div2 Member Posts: 2,580
    Get 16" wheels and use a tire with a higher aspect ratio(Minus 1?) such as a 205/55HR16 or 225/50HR16. The narrow footprint helps the snow traction. Since you indicated that your winter weather is intermittent, I would go with Michelin Pilot or Artic Alpins. They are above average in the dry but still perform well in the ice and snow.
  • Options
    I have a 2001 325Ci with SP (17" Style 44 rims). I have them shod with 225/45-17 Dunlop Wintersport M2s. Though a narrower tire would've been better, my snow handling is actually very good. I haven't had any problems in snow since I've had them (I was in DC last year when we got bombed and didn't miss a day of work).

You definitely have the summer tires if you bought the car with the SP, no doubt about it. I would advise spending the money. 17s will be fine. If you can go narrower, that's the part that matters more than rim size. But if you go 225s, you'll still be just fine. Just make sure it's a dedicated winter tire. Picture this--all seasons are like wearing a basic walking shoe for all conditions. Wouldn't work on a hike, you might slip and break your legs. Summer tires in winter are like wearing wing tips to a track and field event. You just might kill yourself.
  • Options
    I don't pick up the car until Saturday. I like the idea of staying with the 17" wheels.. Maybe I'll just mount them on the stock sport wheels for this winter, and try to pick up a second set of wheels before next winter. The Dunlop M2 seems to be a popular choice with those that put on 17" snows.
    And, since you asked?? It is a 2003 325i. Steel blue with black leather. Steptronic, premium pkg, sport pkg, cold weather pkg, Harmon Kardon, and Xenons. Just 8K miles. My wife would have been happy without the sport, xenon, or HK, but I figured if we are blowing the car budget, I'd at least get everything I wanted on the car.
    I've been on these boards since about last February.. I wasn't positive I was going to get the BMW, and even came close to pulling the trigger on an Acura TSX last Saturday, but couldn't pass up the deal on this one.

Its been a real education reading about the car on this board, and I'm sure I'll be back with more questions.. I'll let you know more after I get it on Saturday.

Thanks to all,
    kyfdx

Edmunds Price Checker
    Edmunds Lease Calculator

Edmunds Moderator

• Options
    nyccarguynyccarguy Member Posts: 16,434
    great color combo! It is actually the one my fiancee likes the best. I think by the time we'll be looking to replace her Protege, it will be an '06 E90 though:)

2001 Prelude Type SH, 2022 Highlander XLE AWD, 2022 Wrangler Sahara 4Xe, 2023 Toyota Tacoma SR 4WD

• Options
    kennynmdkennynmd Member Posts: 424
    I think a couple of weeks ago you posted that you had a CAI and chip in your car. Is it from Dinan or from another company. WHatever it is, in your opinion , was it worth the price. I have an 03 325Ci and am contemplating about performance enhancements. Thanks
  • Options
    I was just trying to you know, help reduce accidents on the road... hehe

ksso
    sometimes you are the windsheild
    sometimes you are the bug
  • Options
    jfedor1jfedor1 Member Posts: 39
    Griots garage extarctor only holds 6.5 liters, doesn't the 3 hold almost 8 liters? I remember someone nentioning and differnt brand that held more?

Also what are the wiper blade sizes I really do not like the BMW refils.

Josh
  • Options
    erickplerickpl Member Posts: 2,735
    Holds the oil from my 3er with NO problems and lots of room left (for about 2 more quarts).

I got the Mityvac delux that will also dispense fluid (though I only use that for pumping into the containers I take to the recycle place).

To clean up the interior of it would be a pain if I wanted to use it to put fluids back into the car.

I may have to do that though if I use it to change my differential and transfer case fluids on my Wrangler and Grand Cherokee.

Anybody know a good cleaner that breaks down the oil/gas/tranny fluid/brake fluids so I can use it to dispense?

For wiper blades, you can get just the rubber blades or the entire arm. My BMW blades work VERY VERY well and took about 3 minutes to replace them.

-Paul
  • Options
    I obtained both from Autothority in Vienna, Virginia. Autothority is the company that submitted a modified Porsche 911 (Turbo?) in a Car & Driver tuner shootout. The Porsche won. These guys specialize in German tuning, so they know what they're doing. They claim the CAI will add about 8 hp and the same amount of torque. The ECU upgrade (chip reprogramming) adds anywhere from 12-18 hp and torque.

I've clocked my 0-60 times with a Passport G-Timer (accurate to 1/10th of a second) and pulled 6.2-6.5. The throttle response is much better and the growl of the engine is divine. At autocrossing, the guys always comment on the sound of my engine note (I don't have modded exhaust). It sounds far better than the tinny rasp of the E46 M3.

Rev limiter is raised and the redline is now close to 7000. Top speed governor is removed, as well. It should do over 130 easily. I've done 125 without a sweat.
  • Options
    memphis10memphis10 Member Posts: 161
    Do the enhancements (CAI/ECU) void the warranty? What are the cons besides expense (off course).
  • Options
    sunilbsunilb Member Posts: 407
    I'm going to be leaving the country for 2-3 weeks and am wondering if I need to disconnect the battery in my 330. I vaguely remember someone mentioning that if you don't the car may have to be jumped later.

Anyone have any insight??

Thanks.
  • Options
    tenet1tenet1 Member Posts: 354
    I often leave my car parked for 2-3 weeks when I travel or go away on vacation (1 month being the longest). I do nothing. There is nothing you need to do and the car should start up fine. Its not like you are leaving for a year.
  • Options
    davefromnjdavefromnj Member Posts: 10
    Financing 2000 Maxima. 2 years remaining at $460/month
    Can sell Maxima for $2K profit.

Can assume a lease on a 2003 330ci (fully loaded) for $500/month for 2 years (no down payment).

Two years from now:
    If choose BMW- No payments, no car.
    If stay with Maxima- No payments and an "older" Maxima.

Assume insurance cost will remain the same.

What would you do?
  • Options
    in your situation i'd niether keep the maxima nor get a 3...

i think you should dump a car the moment your heart leaves it and obviously for some reasons your heart has left the maxima.

i think 2 year leases are super loss makers, unless of course you have a business that desperately needs a tax write off

hmmm, i dont know what i'm trying to tell you

ksso
    sometimes you are the windshield
  • Options
    blueguydotcomblueguydotcom Member Posts: 6,249
    unless of course you have a business that desperately needs a tax write off

doesn't every business need a tax write off? ;)

BTW, get whatever car you dig. Ya only live once, enjoy it.
  • Options
    That is a super low lease on a 330i. You would never be able to lease a new one that cheap. If you are looking at swapalease, you'll have to pay a transfer to BMWFS, I think thats around $500, but you'll get the security deposit back at the end, so thats a wash. Also, with the 2003, you won't have any maintenance costs for the next two years. You really can't compare it with the 4 year old Maxima. Your payments on that car really have nothing to do with your actual costs over the next two years.
    Your actual cost on the Maxima is how much it depreciates over the next two years, plus the interest you are paying on the note. I'm sure that adds up to a lot less than the $460 you are making each month for the payment. So, the downside is the BMW will probably cost you about $150-200 per month more, because that payment is all interest and depreciation. On the upside, less maintenance costs, and you get to drive a 330i at probably the lowest cost possible.

There is a '03 330ci in Cincinnati listed on swapalease... 24 months left at $484.00/mo. Thats a pretty good deal.

regards,
    kyfdx

Edmunds Price Checker
    Edmunds Lease Calculator

Edmunds Moderator

• Options
    My understanding from Autothority is that it only voids the warranty for the airbox itself, not for the rest of the car. The reprogrammed CAI doesn't void the warranty either. I've had my car serviced by BMW at least 5 times, and they have never questioned the warranty. You should be fine.
  • Options
    jmessjmess Member Posts: 677
    The dealer will only question the warranty when something breaks or you start complaining about something that they feel could be related to the mod that you did.

If you sold somebody and engine with a set rev limit would say it is ok to change it?
  • Options
    kennynmdkennynmd Member Posts: 424
    for the response. I'm afraid of aftermarket products because it will void the warranty if something goes wrong. I know the Dinan products don't perform as well as other but I still have my wARRANTY. However, if my car was out of factory warranty, I would get product that offer more power of course. One day I'll make my decision. Thanks
  • Options
    davefromnjdavefromnj Member Posts: 10
    "So, the downside is the BMW will probably cost you about $150-200 per month more, because that payment is all interest and depreciation. "

If I return the BMW at lease end, the interest and depreciation doesn't matter. Also, if I sell the Maxima for a $2K gain, I could park the $2K in a money market account for a future down payment for another lease.
  • Options
    I think the lease assumption is a very good deal, if you are set on getting a 330i.. I'd just try to separate it from what your payment is on the Maxima.. they aren't really related.

I know how it is... when its time to get a new car, its time.. Having $2000 extra in the bank when the lease is up will be good. You might even find another lease to assume at that time. I'm picking up a used '03 325i on Saturday. So, I'm pretty stoked about it..

regards,
    kyfdx

Edmunds Price Checker
    Edmunds Lease Calculator

Edmunds Moderator

• Options
    kdshapirokdshapiro Member Posts: 5,751
    Got a handwritten holiday card from the Sales Manager of the dealership I got the vehicle from. Thought it was a nice thing to do.
  • Options
    ksso
  • Options
    gordonwdgordonwd Member Posts: 337
    Well, they just had an article on something like the "top 10 brands" mentioned in recent popular songs and I was very relieved to see that BMW did *not" make the list! For the record, the #1 brand mentioned was Mercedes, #2 was Lexus, #4 Cadillac, and #10 Chevrolet (the others were non-car brands). I don't know if I could have gone through my pending purchase of a 325i if I had seen it on this list :-). Now if it were mentioned in a Bob Seger or Bruce Springsteen song...
  • Options
    i wonder if he drives at all, i've seen him on his motorcycle once on the GSP.

but he mostly sings about caddy's... if he only knew how they are built... just teasing

ksso

PS: GSP to all you non-northeastcoasters is Garden State Parkway, a toll-full expressway in NJ
  • Options
    white6white6 Member Posts: 588
    I ordered and purchased a 2004 330Ci last summer and now find myself lamenting my decisions. I now realize, after driving the car for 5 months, that I prefer sedan over coupe, and manual over automatic transmission. Also, since the car is always garaged and I have something else to drive when the weather is bad, I wish I had ordered jet black as opposed to the easier to care for silver gray. I have been reading up on European Delivery and I'm thinking that might be my salvation. By ordering a 2004 330i, six-speed, sport, jet black with black 'ette through ED, I should be able to get the car for around $33,000 (MSRP of $37,095) plus the cost of the short-as-possible trip to Germany. If I wait until June, I will also be able to take advantage of the BMWCCA rebate ($500). My problem is: how do I determine a proper trade value (or private party sale value) of a current-model year car? There are no "book" values for 2004 bimmers as yet. FWIW, my car's MSRP was $40,795 and was built in May, 2003. It currently has ~2,500 miles on it. It's a silver gray 330Ci with natural brown leather and steptronic. I have added an M-Tech front bumper, birch trim and OEM floor mats. I would be hoping that the difference in MSRP of ~$4,000, plus the BMWCCA discount, plus the ED discount would be enough to offset the depreciation of my coupe as well as pay my tax and tag on the new car (~$1,300). Any comments?
  • Options
    stevenh7stevenh7 Member Posts: 33
    I am interested in any comments on the 2004 325CI Seat Comfort. I'm interested in getting the Power Front Seats but not the Sport Seats. I noticed on the brochure that the 325CI doesn't come with Lumbar Support. How is it on long journeys?
  • Options
    butmywife1butmywife1 Member Posts: 26
    Hi, all. Haven't posted in awhile but have been reading the discussions now and again. Hope everyone is well and enjoying the season.

My 325xi has 30K now and is approaching its warranty limit of 36K. I was wondering if there is any work covered by warranty that I could/should have done to prevent potential future expenses?

Still adore my car. It developed a rattle which turned out to be the connector for the wood paneling in the right, rear door and this week I got a signal that something is amiss with a headlight. The light is working well but once the right blinker worked twice as fast as normal so I'll take it in to see what's up. Very few problems so far in my opinion.

Re the difference between 325/330: As far as I can tell, it's the 3.0 engine and lumbar controls in the seats.

I'm thinking about trading in for a Euro. Delivery X3. I'd do it to get the extra room, go to Europe again, and get the longer warranty (50K vs 36K on mine). Am I thinking clearly?

ButMyWife
  • Options
    Re the difference between 325/330: As far as I can tell, it's the 3.0 engine and lumbar controls in the seats.

Lumbar? I wish! There's no lumbar control in my 330i.

We also get the neat tilt down mirror...lol
  • Options
    "Lumbar? I wish! There's no lumbar control in my 330i."

My lowly 330i even has lumbar!!!
  • Options
    ek01ek01 Member Posts: 37
    The 5 series wa redesigned for the 2004 model year. Does anyone know when the new 3 will be on the market? Thanks.
  • Options
    to answer your question correctly, as asked, the 3 series has been on the market for a long time now.

ksso
  • Options
    Do you have the sport seats?

Also a tad annoyed at night that my 40k+ sports sedan lacks a dimming mirror. Good grief.
  • Options
    bretaabretaa Member Posts: 130
    I agree. I'm not quite sure why BMW nickel-and-dimes these little, but appreciated, features. Granted, I wouldn't trade the driving dynamics for one of them, but still... I've been told by owners more experienced than myself that BMW has always done this... Some 5-series folks are complaining about this with the new models more loudly than in the past...

Regarding the seats, my '01 330I with manual adjust sports seats have no lumbar control, although I wish sometimes it did as on long drives it can be a bit much...

-Bret
  • Options
    ek01ek01 Member Posts: 37
    Do you know when the "newly designed" 3 series will be on the market? Don't appreciate your smart a>> response.
  • Options
    riezriez Member Posts: 2,361
    bretaa... Good comment regarding "why BMW nickel-and-dimes these little, but appreciated, features." Was a big reason I went away from BMW to Lexus IS300. Why are important things like HID and foglights optional? Not to mention other driving aids like auto-dimming rearview mirror and compass? Let alone fact you have to pay hundreds of dollars for metallic paint. Not to mention the unavailability of very important feature like LSD? I'm not talking about things like rain-sensing wipers.

Wonder if this will get worse with rise of Euro against the Dollar? And notice what happened to price of new E60 5 Series. 530i's with MSRPs around $53K.

But all things are relative over time. Remember when E46 was new. Cruise control was optional and you couldn't get an in-dash single disc CD player. Former is now standard and thinking buyers have had a choice of standard CD or cassette for some years now.
  • Options
    blueguy - I don't have sport seats, but I have lumbar support. With the PP also comes the dimming mirror, which I have.

riez - "Let alone fact you have to pay hundreds of dollars for metallic paint."

For the dollar amount of the vehicle, in it's class BMW makes the most beautiful metalic paint jobs. I do not mind paying extra for some stuff, which I believe is worth it, but it does get tiresome being nickled and dimed to death. But the paint job, I would pay extra for in a heart-beat.
  • Options
    shiposhipo Member Posts: 9,148
    "Remember when E46 was new. Cruise control was optional and you couldn't get an in-dash single disc CD player."

Hmmm, I had one of the earliest E46s, my 1999 328i was built in December of 1998, and it had an in-dash single disc CD player. Of course it was an extra cost option and said option replaced the standard in-dash cassette player.

Best Regards,
    Shipo
  • Options
    well i was in my friends old minivan riding front passenger near menlo park mall in central jersey yesterday and at a left turn on an unusual hill, we were sitting in the middle of the road and a MB S class came powering up from the other side with HIDs blazing. Considering my cars have HID's i should not have reacted as I did, but, they burned my eyes so bad that I stuck my head out of the window and screamed as loud as I could, not at him in particular, but just generally. It was comical, the MB driver looked scared stiff, as if i was a LA driver ready to pull a gun. Others around were either amused or ready to hit 911. I don't know, my friend floored the gas at the first chance he got and ran away from the place as fast as he could.

ksso
    sometimes you are the windshield
  • Options
    the folks at bmw are so busy tuning up the cars to drive at the tops, that they forgot to do some small minor things...

remember... most geniuses have no social skills ;)

ksso
    sometimes you are the louiville slugger
    sometimes you are the ball