Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

BMW 3-Series 2005 and earlier

Comments

• memphis10memphis10 Member Posts: 161
    Old timers like riez and shipo are posting again. That's very nice.
  • shiposhipo Member Posts: 9,148
    Merry Christmas, Happy Chanukah and Happy New Year! ;-)

Best Regards,
    Shipo
  • brave1heartbrave1heart Member Posts: 2,698
    If I had to pay for cruise control, rain-sensing wipers, dimming mirrors, arm rest and any of these crapolini, I would not get them. Most of them I would even pay NOT to have in my car, esp. the arm rest and the dimming mirrors. I bought my BMW for its driving dynamics first and foremost. If I wanted an appliance, I'd get a Japanese car. I'd like to be able to get my BMW a la cart the way you can in Germany. Selling packages and offering stuff standard deprives consumers of options.

Shipo, Happy Kwanzaa to you too.
  • bretaabretaa Member Posts: 130
    While I too bought my 330I for a premium with less "features" (and I use that term generously) than its competitors because I *value* those driving dynamics, I can understand why others shy away and go for cars like the IS300... Feature for feature, if you equip a 330I like some of its competitors come standard, the 330I costs significantly more. However, if you max out a 3 series, X-Type, or C-Class, they're all fairly high at about the same level.

I do like the BMW a la carte ordering method, but in the future, some "value adjustment" pricewise may be necessary if the competition keeps improving the way it is.

-Bret
  • marks1970marks1970 Member Posts: 25
    I'm really confused about BMW used car pricing - they seem to appreciate in value! Whenever I look at used BMWs online or anywhere, they are always priced higher than what you can get a new BMW for. For example, you can get a base 2004 325Ci for under $30K (well below if you go ED), yet I have yet to see a 2002 or 2003 for anywhere close to under $30K. Even Edmunds TMV and the blue book value are over $30K. Why would this be?
  • denkdenk Member Posts: 75
    Be glad you don't have the auto-dimming mirror. In my opinion the mirror gets way too dark at night to the point of being more a safety hazzard than a driving aid. I wish there were a way to switch it off as many other cars do.
    denk - exactly. And you won't see that cruiser riding on your tail until he starts flashing his Christmas lights at you :o)

bretaa - good point about the price adjustment. It's already happened. An '04 325 performs very close to a '98 328 but it is at least 5 grand cheaper even 6 years later. If it weren't for the competition, BMW would still be charging a huge "prestige" premium ;o)

marks1970 - They cost a lot because you are probably comparing loaded used 3-series to new strippers. Most 3-series sold in the U.S. are pretty much loaded because that's what the dealers usually have sitting on the lot. You're rarely going to see a stripper manual with vinyl seats sitting on a dealer lot. Those are special ordered and their owners tend to hold on to them. Frankly, the 3-series hold their value so well, it almost makes no sense to buy a used one, esp. if you could do a European Delivery. Some 15-yr old E30 M3s are still selling for half their original price - absolutely amazing IMO!!
  • nyccarguynyccarguy Member Posts: 16,373
    "Wonder if this will get worse with rise of Euro against the Dollar? And notice what happened to price of new E60 5 Series. 530i's with MSRPs around $53K."

The rising euro has definitely had an effect on the price of a the new E60. As a German company, BMW does all its accounting in euros, meaning in order to maintain its high profit per vehicle it must sell the cars for more US dollars.

I think the E60 5er went up in price to prepare us for a price increase on the E90 3er to allow for the 1 series to come in (with I6s) and not get too close in price when you "load it up" to the 3 series.

2001 Prelude Type SH, 2022 Highlander XLE AWD, 2022 Wrangler Sahara 4Xe, 2023 Toyota Tacoma SR 4WD

• nyccarguynyccarguy Member Posts: 16,373
    I read on bimmerfest that BMW will offer the Performance Package on 330Cis (plural) starting sometime in 2004.

2001 Prelude Type SH, 2022 Highlander XLE AWD, 2022 Wrangler Sahara 4Xe, 2023 Toyota Tacoma SR 4WD

• sunilbsunilb Member Posts: 407
    brave1-- agree on your statement, but only as it applies to the 325. A 330i, lightly optioned, via ED comes out to mid-30s and with tax is in the high-30s.... meanwhile, a 2-3 year old version of the same car is in the mid-20s.

I wonder how long BMW can continue to keep their price discrepancy now that there is more competition in their segment (ie, IS300 and G35 [both of which should be even better in their second incarnation]).

Of course, if the pricing of the new 5-series is any indication then they seem to be raising their price points.... for no apparent reason:

- most international companies using hedging strategies to offset fluctuations in currencies, so the dollar's depreciation against the Euro doesn't seem to be the driver (no pun intended); and

- Japanese manufacturers generally price their vehicles at or below the previous year's price AND increase margins (due to their improved operational efficiences)

Also, for whoever was asking: the new 3-series is supposed to be out in 2005... I believe this is listed in the "Future Vehicles" section of edmunds.
  • postoakpostoak Member Posts: 537
    On the 325i aren't there 4 possible seating configurations?

1) Standard manual (no lumbar adjustment)

2) Standard power (no lumbar adjustment)

3) Sport manual (no lumbar adjustment)

4) Sport power (no lumbar adjustment)

I've read that if you have lower back problems you really want to avoid the standard seats (manual or power).
  • butmywife1butmywife1 Member Posts: 26
    I emailed BMWNA to ask about getting lumbar as a "special factory order" on an X3 and here was the response:

"Thank you for contacting BMW of North America, LLC regarding ordering options on the X3. The 8-way power adjustable front seats are available as a option on the X3 2.5. The 8-way adjustable front sport seats with 2-way manual thigh support is also available as an option within the Sports package. The 4-way lumbar support for front seats is only available for the X3 3.0 within the Premium package."

I believe this holds true for 3 series sedans and wagons. So, to get lumbar back support, you need to get the 3.0 with the premium package. Or, as I like to think of it, it costs $6,000 to get lumbar in a BMW. 'Sup with that?

ButMyWife
  • kyfdxkyfdx Moderator Posts: 235,188
    They can ask whatever they want.. What they sell for is a different matter. Those 2003 325i's that they ask $33K-35K can probably be bought for $30K-32K.. And thats for loaded ones that had MSRP of $38K plus..

Regards,
    kyfdx

Edmunds Price Checker
    Edmunds Lease Calculator
    Did you get a good deal? Be sure to come back and share!

Edmunds Moderator

• prattsterprattster Member Posts: 59
    "If I wanted an appliance, I'd get a Japanese car"

I'll pass that to my friend in his S2000 appliance he'll get good laugh at that...
  • blueguydotcomblueguydotcom Member Posts: 6,249
    Still want the dimming mirror as I'd even prefer a blackened mirror when a truck is behind me. I don't need to see him as I can read a book with a truck behind me, so I KNOW that he's there.
  • kominskykominsky Member Posts: 850
    I have to admit I don't fully understand the concept. I've been driving for ~24 years now and when I have a problem with headlights behind me, I reach up and flip the little switch to solve the problem. It's been working pretty well so far and hasn't caused me undue stress or hardship. Given the fact that I've heard several people complain about self-dimming feature, I think it's actually an advantage to have the manual control.
  • marks1970marks1970 Member Posts: 25
    But even the Blue Book on 2002 & 2003 325i BMWs is over $30K for base models.

I don't mind buying a used BMW, but it seems I can get a newer one for cheaper. Is this right?
  • ksomanksoman Member Posts: 683
    sunilb:
    i wonder how long the european car manufacturers can hold prices low. at 1.24 odd $ fro every euro, i've seen the euro rise about 28 % in the last year and some months. unless bmw and mb and audi.. and and others don't do something drastic, their bottom lines are going to hurt fast, despite all the hedging and stuff that's done in the markets.

But then again, each category/make of vehicles is a passing fad, time and again.

prattster:
    I hear ya man, though i dont own a honda, if i'd a choice to replace wife's 4 seat convertible with any car for the sheer excitement factor, it'd be with the japanese gadget called honda s2000.

ksso
    As I've mentioned a number of times on this board, I love the S2K. I meant the "appliance" statement in a more general sense. I wish the Japanese manufacturers made sedans as exciting and good-looking as the E46. And chances are, with the new design direction from BMW and the persistent catch-up efforts from Japan, that might happen in the very near future...
  • kdshapirokdshapiro Member Posts: 5,751
    "chances are, with the new design direction from BMW"

I'm enamored with the new cars. I think BMW got it just right.
  • riezriez Member Posts: 2,361
    butmywife1... According to the respective BMW 3 Series brochures, 4-way power lumbar support for the front seats...

- is NOT available for 325i or 325xi
    - is available for 330i and 330xi as part of the optional Premium Package

- is NOT available for 325Ci
    - is available for 330Ci as part of the optional Premium Package

- is NOT available for 325CiC
    - is available for 330CiC as part of the optional Premium Package

I'm assuming this holds for the touring wagons, too.

So only the 330i buyers who also spring for PP get lumbar. A most expensive option?
    kd, did you just earn another $100?

:)
    ksso
    Well if the clown nose allows you to tilt the mirror, it doesn't work on my car. Bummer.
  • kominskykominsky Member Posts: 850
    Rotating the "nose" flips the mirror up in my car (330Ci).
    Supposedly, at least according to the manual, doing the same in mine will tilt the mirror. Doesn't work though. Not a big deal as I'm not inclined to ever use that feature...too much effort.
    kso - I just got myself a loaded 545 for free. :)
  • erickplerickpl Member Posts: 2,735
    The clown nose only adjusts the mirror up/down if you don't have the autodimming mirrors.

-Paul
    getting greedy huh
    haha
  • bretaabretaa Member Posts: 130
    To Kominski:
    About the self-dimming mirrors, I tend to agree with you that it's unnecessary, but people tend to be impressed by the most silly things...

I was in the Best Buy parking lot this weekend, and a new RX330 was right smack in front of the store when the (kind of prissy) owners activated the auto trunk opener and closer. It was like the community's spotlight was on these folks. My girlfriend and I virtually laughed out loud at how silly it was, but the other 30 or so people in the parking lot watching looked awed... You could almost hear the collective "WWWOOOOWWW!!!" I think, given this neighborhood, Lexus just sold 15 RX330's based on that scene alone...

BMW has a tough task, to offer pure driving excitement and focus but still have enough sybaritic features to attract the casual luxury owner. BMW is a mass marketer, after all, and can't really afford to be the Lotus of luxury cars.

-Bret
    What's really sad is that's been on mopar cars for awhile. Guess you toss an L on the car and suddenly people car that the trunk auto-opens and closes.

BTW, is it just me or are those things scary slow?
    "About the self-dimming mirrors, I tend to agree with you that it's unnecessary, but people tend to be impressed by the most silly things"

I've had autodimming mirrors in my cars the last 5 years. One vehicle had an autodimming drivers mirror. They are not gadgets, but valued accessories for driving at night. 1) I wish the BMW drivers mirror dimmed and 2) I would like to be able to turn it off.

I wouldn't even want an auto closer on a BMW. It adds unnecessary weight and 10 years down the road some schmo is going to be stuck with the lifgate in the up positions.
    Planes have been flying with amazing safety for the past many decades with advanced electronics. why are you all still so fazed by the fact that modern cars are so electronically wired? Deal with it or move on.

ksso
  • white6white6 Member Posts: 588
    you might be able to order (if your CA is so inclined) as separate options the auto-dimming mirror, power lumbar, myrtlewood trim and a few other things on 3-series staring mid-year (March). The Myrtlewood used to be available as a separate option, but with the 04 switch-over, became available only on PP cars. Guess they're re-thinking that one(?).
  • ajl1000ajl1000 Member Posts: 15
    This has nothing to do with auto-dimming mirrors, but I recently saw a new 3-Series with a different set of taillights. They were the same style; except, in place of the orange stripe between the two red stripes, it was a white/clear stripe. Could anyone explain this to me?

Thanks
    AJL1000
  • riezriez Member Posts: 2,361
    For those considering 3rd Party Service Contracts, check out the "Crime & Courts" section of today's Des Moines Register newspaper. Story titled, "Firms sued over auto contracts. Ponzi scheme defrauded a million, lawsuit alleges."

The original issuer and marketing company goes bankrupt and the reinsurance was limited. Reinsurer's liquidation proceeding are in the Cayman Islands.

http://desmoinesregister.com/news/stories/c4788993/23098179.html
  • shiposhipo Member Posts: 9,148
    What you saw was the current incarnation of the E46 Taillight. For the sedan, there have been at least three versions that I can think of.

Best Regards,
    Shipo
  • rustyrrustyr Member Posts: 10
    The lumbar issue has been discussed by many disappointed owners. I discovered a lumbar cushion--adjustable via an air system--from Griot's Garage (see their website). It's leather, black, and has a heating element as well. I only use it for distance driving because the basic seat is quite comfortable for most of my driving. The cushion cost was around $99.00 as I recall. A worthy upgrade to solve the lumbar issue--and the cushion has a lifetime warranty by Griot's. It's a great place for enthusiasts.
  • mkcomkco Member Posts: 65
    My new 325ci is the first car I've had with remote locking that doesn't give you a signal when you've locked it with the remote. My previous two cars (GM) beeped and/or flashed lights. I asked my salesman and he said that it's because my car doesn't have an alarm system...Is this correct? He says there's nothing there to beep, but the car does have a horn (it wasn't an option!) and it does have headlights!

Is he right about this? Reading about the car online before it was delivered, I read that that dealer is supposed to call you prior to delivery to program the car based on your preferences. But that never happened.
  • bmw323isbmw323is Member Posts: 410
    Your salesperson is correct. Without the alarm, the only audio you hear is the clicking of the doors as they lock/unlock and nothing flashes. It is my understanding that you can make the clown's nose blink when the doors are locked, but many dealers do not seem to know how to do that. And mine didn't either, so I skipped it.

Before the car is delivered the dealer should allow you to make selections that are programmable so your car is set up the way you want. In many situations, the default settings are what most people want, but you should have the choice. I don't remember all of the choices, but my dealer did provide the sheet of paper showing the options at time of delivery. I only wanted one change (auto door locking) and the dealer programmed it when I stopped in later. Some dealers charge extra for reprogramming.
  • white6white6 Member Posts: 588
    My 2004 330Ci blinks its corner lights when it locks or unlocks. This was one of the pre-delivery programming options I chose. Horn chirp was also available, but I wanted the visual cue only. My car does not have an alarm. Your salesman is either ignorant or a liar.
    "Your salesman is either ignorant or a liar."

Or the 325 works differently than the 330ci.
  • cabbatan1cabbatan1 Member Posts: 40
    My 325xi wagon,which does not have an alarm is setup so that when I press the unlock button, all 5 doors unlock and my lights blink once. When I press the lock button, all doors lock and again the lights blink. There is no reason why this can not be programed for you at the dealer. It is a basic function of the car and key. Just as a side note and probalby not for this discussion,I would like to see a law passed which would ban Auto makers from building audible alerts for locking and unlocking into their vehicles,particularly the systems which are connected to the horn. It is just another form of noise pollution.
  • denkdenk Member Posts: 75
    Your salesman is wrong. My 2002 325 was programmed to blink when locked and unlocked and the clown nose was programmed to blink while the car is locked. The car blinks twice when unlocked and once when locking. I do not have the alarm.
  • kennynmdkennynmd Member Posts: 424
    Get your salesman and tell him what you want from the service advisors. If they can't help you call or email BMWNA and complain. The blinking lights when locking or unlocking can be done.
  • butmywife1butmywife1 Member Posts: 26
    In addition to having the lights flash when the car is locked, you can have the tech program the computer so that the clown nose flashes after the car is locked as if you had an alarm. There was a post a couple of years ago on how to do it. My dealer said it wasn't possible so I handed him a print out of the instructions obtained by the earlier post and the tech did it.

ButMyWife
  • gordonwdgordonwd Member Posts: 337
    I stopped at the dealer today to check things out and he had about 2 dozen '04 325's on the lot, and all but two were black, silver or gray. So much for looking at different color combos!

Anyway, I noticed that some, but not all, of the '04's had one of those antenna dongles on the rear of the roof. Looking at the stickers, it seemed to go along with the Premium Package. A salesman later came out and confirmed that. He said that the "BMW Assist" service (similar to OnStar, apparently) comes with the '04 3-series along with the Premium Pkg, with a year's free subscription to the service. I hadn't seen this mentioned anywhere else. Anyone know about it?

In any case, I sure wish I could get mine without that antenna wart, which in my opinion just doesn't look right.
    Some unkonwn tall truck backed up into wife's 3, and left it with a little dent and not much visible damage.. on closer inspection, the whole trunk lid is warped slightly in 4 different places and only the lip that houses the trunk lights, switch, etc is broken and absolutely no dings or scratch on the bumper... Thankfully we've a 0 comprehensive because the dealer's body shop estimate worked out with the insurance agency is a monstorous 2300 bucks... so much for being from the insurance industry!

ksso
    Happy Holidays to all friends and foes ;)

ksso
    sometimes you are the windshield
    sometimes you are the bug
  • patpat Member Posts: 10,421
    So I'll be the windshield wiper thereby trumping the bug AND the windshield!

:-)
    i thought host's were barred from cruelty towards animals...

oops, nm :D

ksso