Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!
Options

BMW 3-Series 2005 and earlier

Comments

• Options
    kdshapirokdshapiro Member Posts: 5,751
    ksso - sorry you took it the wrong way, I did put a smiley at the end in an attempt to make humor out of an aggravating situation. (I do not find your situation amusing, what I find amusing is the amount of damage that can be caused to these vehicles at 2mph) While it is as aggravating as heck, I have some other type of experience with a mismatch between a bumper and street object in my house that needs to get fixed, so I am in the same boat - wondering how many thousands it is going to be.

It's never fun, but you really have to think that most modern day bumpers were designed to protect the car, and it seems all too common that hooking them from underneath, or hitting them just right will cause a lot of other type of damage.
  • Options
    gordonwdgordonwd Member Posts: 337
    Looking thru the owner's manual in advance, I see several features that go along with whichever key is used "to open the car". Does this work if the car is already unlocked? That is, if I press the unlock button on the key when the car is already unlocked, will the seat move to my preset location, etc.?

The obvious reason that I ask is that my wife and I most often switch cars when they're parked in the garage and are unlocked. But if I could press the button anyway and restore the seat position it would be helpful since my wife's seat position is almost too far forward for me to even get in comfortably.
  • Options
    ksomanksoman Member Posts: 683
    it actually does work on my wife's 04 irrespective of whether the car is locked or not. the key memory is really tied to the time when the key is physically pulled out of the ignition rather than whether it was locked or not... atleast for 04's... so i think you are cool.
  • Options
    riezriez Member Posts: 2,361
    That is a huge problem with 3 Series. Critical things like Xenon HID are optional. Little things like metallic paint are optional. Options really raise the price. The average dealer's lot car has about $3-5,000 in options. Almost always have at least Prem Pkg, metallic paint, and automatic transmission.

Seems hard to find a decently equipped 325i with an MSRP under $35K. [I remember when the E46s first came out. Cruise control was optional. Cassette deck was standard and no in-dash CD was available.]
  • Options
    shiposhipo Member Posts: 9,148
    Maybe you missed my post of a couple of weeks ago, I had an early build E46 (my 1999 328i was built in late 1998), and it had an in-dash CD player as a factory option.

Best Regards,
    Shipo
  • Options
    brave1heartbrave1heart Member Posts: 2,698
    If done at all, tire rotation should be done every 5K miles or so. It obviously does not fit BMW's 15K mile maintenance schedule. BMW does not cover the tires under warranty either, so it is just too convenient for them to say that they do not recommend tire rotation. I've been rotating the tires regularly ever since I got a floor jack. I should be able to get ~ 50% more miles out of them that way. I also used to think that 15K miles is OK for synthetic oil change. Well, a lot will depend on how the car is driven. I did 8 autoX events and 7 track days on the same oil this summer and when I changed it in the fall after 14K miles, it had that old color and smell. I got a MityVac fluid extractor and will replace it every 7,500 miles or 3-4 events, whichever comes first from now on.
  • Options
    Hey Brave,

I used to be in the same camp as you regarding the oil changes (that being the 15K interval), and like you, I switched. I found out that Castrol (the maker of BMW's OEM oil) makes one of those "Hydro-Cracked" types of synthetic oil, which in my mind is not a true synthetic. That and the fact that when I looked into the inside of the cam cover on my old 328i I saw varnish everywhere, which is decidedly un-sythetic oil like, and I immediately decided to switch to the 7,500 interval and use Mobil 1 0W-40.

Best Regards,
    Shipo
  • Options
    shipo... Proves the point all the more. BMW should've made the single disc in-dash CD player standard and scrapped the cassette (or made it special order only). But basic things like metallic paint, cruise control, and CD player were optional. And 6 years later metallic paint still costs, what, about $475? How about HID? And you can't get important things like LSD unless you buy an M3.
  • Options
    "And you can't get important things like LSD unless you buy an M3."

I will argue they are only important to a small percentage of the population, and that's why it's not offered as an option. BMW might change their mind with the optioning if enough people raise a "brew-ha-ha" about it.
  • Options
    scottlpscottlp Member Posts: 21
    I'm still looking at new BMWs, only now it is the 330xi. I was wondering about people's experiences, because I am concerned about what someone reported on another board (I've heard exactly this from several different sources):

"all my BMW friends and myself have had some sort of software/electrical related problem with our brand new BMWs."

Has this really been people's experiences, and if so, is this something I can get checked out before I take possession of the car?

Thanks.

Scott
  • Options
    scottlpscottlp Member Posts: 21
    I should have posted the whole quote:

"all my BMW friends and myself have had some sort of software/electrical related problem with our brand new BMWs. They are all minor but annoying enough. However, I heard from many people that this is 'as expected' with BMWs.
    So don't worry too much."

Still not very comforting. Comments anyone?
  • Options
    I think that BMW has intentionally sent all of their problem children to your friends and their friends, allowing the rest of us to have problem free cars. ;-) In my case, I have had two new BMWs since 1999, and to date, the only problem of any kind, electrical or otherwise, has been two burned out taillight bulbs on my 328i, and so far, my 530i has been perfect.

Best Regards,
    Shipo
  • Options
    ...and I'm not talking about our sub-zero weather lately! As I get within a couple weeks of my target for ordering a 325i, I am getting nervous about whether it could end up as a mistake. The reason is that I have absolutely nothing negative to say about my '98 A4 1.8T -- not a thing. It's the best car I've ever owned, and the only reasons I'm thinking of changing is that it's six years old; I've always wanted a BMW; I think I'd like the E46 better than the next generation 3; and it makes financial sense for me to get one at this time. The BMW will potentially be with me for a lot longer than the Audi. My last move from a Sentra SE-R to the A4 was an obvious desirable step up; from an A4 to a 325 is more like a sideways move.

I guess one of the reasons I'm hesitant is that I spend too much time on these boards :-). Most people are more likely to post messages about problems they're having, when I'm sure there are 1000's of people fully satisfied with their cars that never go online to talk about it.

Unfortunately, a lot of it is chance. I see people running down Audi quality, when I have only seen top-notch quality and reliability. So did I just happen to get a good one? Should I sell a known good car to get one whose quality is unpredictable?
  • Options
    memphis10memphis10 Member Posts: 161
    It was typical of german car manufacturers to make everything optional. I remember seeing a Mercedes Benz E220 in Germany in 1995 with a price tag of $40K and having no power windows.
  • Options
    BMW quality is better than Audi quality. You will find all sorts on problems about the A4 in the Audi boards. 325 is smoother and sportier and better car than the A4 but it is certainly not a class apart.
  • Options
    Riez, while I understand that other car companies offer things like Metallic Paint and Xenon head lights at no extra charge, I personally have no problem with the ala-carte approach to buying a car. The fact is that Metallic Paint and Xenon's cost considerably more and not everybody likes them. If for instance, I wanted a Fire Engine Red 3-Series with Halogen head lights, why should I pay BMW for the more expensive paint and lights?

GordonWD, don't sweat it, anecdotal, if not statistical evidence suggests that the 3-Series is somewhat more reliable than the A4. Does that mean that your 325i will be as perfect as your A4? Not necessarily. Does that mean that your 325i will be as reliable (if not more so) over the next five to ten years as your current A4 will be over that same period of time? Most probably.

Best Regards,
    Shipo
  • Options
    blueguydotcomblueguydotcom Member Posts: 6,249
    I've experienced weird electrical things with my ZHP. I've had the door locks refuse to work on many, many occasions, the lights wouldn't turn off one night, and my seat's controls have not worked before.

Still compared to my nightmare Jetta, the ZHP's been pretty solid. It's just not built nearly as well as my old warhorse 1991 Nissan Stanza. That was a bulletproof car.
  • Options
    blueguydotcomblueguydotcom Member Posts: 6,249
    I forgot to mention that I did hear a darn good reason to switch to sat radio. Howard Stern (the only radio I listen to beyond NPR) said that he may switch to sat radio when his current contract is up. If that happens, I'll certainly pay $10 a month.
  • Options
    erickplerickpl Member Posts: 2,735
    I had a similar issue with my car right after I got it. I was driving down the 15 in Ontario and my dash went nuts. My blinkers didn't work... until I took the key out. :) My dash wouldn't read the time and other goofy stuff. Turns out some kind of computer control module went out. The dealer swapped it that Monday and I had it back in my garage Monday evening.

May be something similar. I've had 0 problems since.

-Paul
  • Options
    div2div2 Member Posts: 2,580
    A friend who works at an Audi/BMW dealership once told me that the Germans refer to Audis as 60000 mile cars, meaning that reliability starts to go downhill after that mileage. That's strictly anecdotal; I have no personal experience with Audis-though my wife and I were going to buy an A4Q until the local dealer Bluegrass Motorsport jerked us around(75 minutes to pencil a deal and then they offered us $1500 back of auction price for our 3er and quoted MSRP for the A4).
  • Options
    shipo... Wonder if you are truly serious or consistent in your position.

What percentage of 3 Series have metallic paint?

How come BMWs don't come standard with 4-wheel drum brakes with disc brakes optional? Why is ABS standard? Power brakes? Why isn't manual steering standard? And maybe only a standard AM radio or just AM/FM? And why can't you get cloth seats standard (like they can in Europe)?

As a comparison, just look at the standard equipment in the Acura TSX vs. the 325i. Add the standard equipment of the TSX to the 325i and then see what the 325i would cost.

Some things--like LSD--are critical. BMW used to offer it pretty much on all their cars up until the early 1990s. BMW decided to used electronic systems that do different things in its place. But notice that BMW had to keep LSD in M3 and M5. Otherwise, they wouldn't be serious players.
  • Options
    I am totally serious; there were any number of posts here in the 3-Series board when the E46 first came out about how folks didn't like Xenon headlights. So much so that back in the late 1990's there was even a topic about how bad they were and those of us who opted for them were idiots who were wasting our money. Maybe you don't agree with them (I don't either for that matter), but to them, finding a car such as the 3-Series which offered them the option of choosing which headlights they wanted is a good thing.

Paint is even less of a point of contention, there are LOTS of folks out there who want non-metallic paint (black, red and white primarily) on their cars, so why should they have to pay for the extra expense of the metallic application if they don't want that paint.

Your attempt to make these two examples of mine analogous to drum vs. disk brakes and other performance related items is silly and I won't comment further.

Regarding things like the LSD, I happen to agree with you there, I can't for the life of me figure out why BMW doesn't at least offer it as an option.

As for comparing the content levels of BMWs to their counterparts from Japan, Inc., that argument is nothing new. The German manufacturers in general and BMW in specific have always offered vehicles ala-carte, allowing you to order what you want, just the way you want it. Due to the philosophy of how the Japanese content their cars, they keep the prices low by offering very few option choices. That works for most folks but not for me. I remember the days when, to get a manual transmission in a Japanese sedan meant that you couldn't have leather seats or a sun roof. What's up with that?

From my perspective, if it costs a few dollars more to have a car exactly as I want it, then I'll gladly pay the freight.

Anxiously awaiting your response. ;-)

Best Regards,
    Shipo
  • Options
    brutus85brutus85 Member Posts: 11
    I want to buy an older('88-'94), cheap (less than 5k) BMW to serve as my 2nd/winter car. My regular car is an '02 Miata. Anyway, I have seen some high-mileage 3-series (& 5-series) BMWs for less than 6 thousand dollars in the newspaper.

At plus 100k miles, would I be completely wasting my time - & money? I want a fun car that I can drive maybe 4-6k miles a year & not pay an arm & a leg (& an elbow) for in repairs. I was hoping not needing it as my primary vehicle might make this work. Normal wear n tear expenses for old car would be acceptable. What is your experience with buying someone else high mileage BMWs?
  • Options
    BMW has always placed its values in engineering more than everything else (I think it's in the German culture). Why force customers to pay for metallic paint, HIDs and other non-performance items?!? Make them an option and keep the entry price lower. Those who demand luxury should pay more. I love the xenons but I know of a lot of people who hate them and would never want them in their car. Now, limited-slip is an entirely different story. I think a few years ago BMW decided that DSC works better then limited-slip for the majority of owners out there who don't track their cars and replaced the LSD with DSC on their non-M models. As their thinking goes, those who demand performance, will probably get an M car anyhow. I think they are right on DSC being safer for most owners but I still think that LSD MUST be an option on non-M models. Maybe only 5% of owners care about it but that 5% has traditionally been BMW's core constituency of enthusiast drivers who helped put BMW on the map. Losing the loyalty of that 5% would be devastating for BMW in the long run and it might turn it into just another nice luxury car (think Lexus) over time.

Electrical and/or software problems: none in my car after 58K miles of hard driving including some 16 autoX events and 9 track days.

Oil: shipo, I always thought that the Castrol that is formulated for BMWs is different from the regular Castrol that you get in the store. It's only ~ $3/qt - too affordable to even think about getting anything else.

A4 - gordonwd, we have an '01 1.8T which is pretty much identical to your A4. I drive both the 325 and the A4 extensively. The A4 is a nice car but it doesn't compare to the 325 SP. The A4 is a car you can like, maybe love. The 325 you lust after. Almost 3 years into ownerwhip, it still puts a smile on my face every time I sit in it. I like everything about it to a degree that would turn me into a blithering idiot if I started describing the joy of driving it into more detail. In all fairness, our A4 does not have the sport pack, which might have made it a lot more enjoyable to drive...
  • Options
    jean7of9jean7of9 Member Posts: 192
    I am driving a 03 330xi since last March. No problems of any kind. It drives with full confidence on snow, ice and slush (with Winter Tires). I also drive a MB E320 4matic which needed six visits to the dealer in the first year. It became outstanding after all the bugs are repaired. When alone, I always prefer to drive the 330xi any time, any where.
  • Options
    nyccarguynyccarguy Member Posts: 16,434
    There's arguments for both sides of the fence. My Dad who just ordered an '04 X5 (Metallic Paint is standard on the X5) really liked the fact that if he would've leased an Acura MDX that all you have to do is pick color and whether you want Navigation or not. The X5 he ordered (which has nicer leather, a tilting & telescoping steering wheel, a much more sophisticated AWD system, sport suspension, and not to mention DRIVES much better among other things) has more than $10K worth of options. FRom a non-car guy standpoint it is kinda frustrating.

I like the fact that I can custom order a BMW 3 series the way I want it. I like BMW black interiors with the titanium trim, I like the fact that I can order the car with leatherette, a sunroof, a manual transmission, with Xenon headlights and metallic paint (I don't think they should charge for this, but anyway). I don't like power seats. The wood trim in the Premium Package doesn't appeal to me.

On my Prelude Type SH all I had to pick was the color. They all came with black cloth interiors, a 5 speed manual transmission, sunroof, in dash CD player, power windows & locks (fortunately that's how I would order it if I could:)

2001 Prelude Type SH, 2022 Highlander XLE AWD, 2022 Wrangler Sahara 4Xe, 2023 Toyota Tacoma SR 4WD

• Options
    1. that BMW did not light the center vent temperature control. At night when I like warmer air directed to the face, it is sometimes difficult to see.

2. the car only knows the LONG way between point A and B :)
  • Options
    white6white6 Member Posts: 588
    I ordered a 2004 325i last week. Jet black, black leatherette, 5-speed manual, manual seats, no moonroof (don't care about it and I need the headroom), no xenon (halogens are the best in any car I've ever driven, plus I drive at night very little). It has auto climate control and auto wipers, CD, and cruise as standard equipment. Only option is sport package. Out the door for $30,195 (not including tax). I still get rear-drive, 6-cylinder with dual VANOS, same interior as $45,000 330i, 17-inch wheels/tires, same steering as $45,000 330i. All I'm really missing is the 500 cc's, 6th gear, and slightly larger brakes.
  • Options
    topspin628topspin628 Member Posts: 373
    I just returned home from a business trip that included a fair amount of driving in 2 different rental cars, a Mustang covert. and a Mercury Grand Marq. If anyone wants to know how the US lost so much ground in the auto industry over the past 30 years, all they have to do is drive these cars.
    The Mustang while great for tanning in FL was an ergonmic nightmare. Is there a word for anti ergonomic? After a few hours in those seats my back was howling. The Mercury's steering was so vague that "vague" is too vague a term for it! It was floating around almost of it's own free will. So I guess all of those blue haired ladies whose hands on the wheel are the only visible part seen on the road are not all to blame. I could go on but why bother?

When I got home to my 330i sp,pp I was in heaven. You know, it used to bother me too that more items weren't inclusive (how about a 6 disc cd changer in dash-isn't it about time). But you know what? The vital things aren't even available as options on most cars. Things like a world class suspension, greatest in line 6, fantastic sound from the engine, sublime steering, great sport seats.... And did I mention the first car that still puts a smile on my face 2.5 years into ownership every time I get in it.

So for me I don't niggle on the small stuff any more. I guess to keep the prices reasonable and to still offer the true greatness of the car they have to allow people to build strippers and compete with the Americans and the Japanese, who IMHO still trail in the soul and fun aspect, if ahead a bit in reliability.

Now if someone from BMW could only explain to me why the 3 sedans can't have the color matching side moldings.....
  • Options
    Guess much of this depends on what is important to you. For me driving excitement and safety are key, with some utility. So that means things like Sport Pkg (esp. for better tires), LSD, HID, and split-fold rear seats are much more important than wood trim, prem sound system upgrades, and auto sensing wipers.

If I was to special order a 325i or 330i, I'd order it like white6 did (manual transmission and Sport Pkg but also with HID & split-fold rear seat and no black exterior, either red, silver, or white). But you'd have to special order it as no dealer will stock it and you'll have to own it a long time or sell it to a private party of like mind as you'll get creamed on resale value with any dealer.

Sadly, over the past 15 years BMW AG and BMW NA have been steadily moving away from performance and into luxury and electronic gadgetry. They'd rather have Prem Pkg and iDrives than LSD. Rising prices and falling reliability. Long-term ownership concerns, esp. if you don't live near a good independent BMW garage.

I love to walk BMW dealer lots on Sundays when they aren't open. Looking mainly at 3 and 5 Series, you might find 20 or more new cars. Nearly all (often all) will be automatics with things like Prem Pkg, metallic paint, sunroofs, Cold Weather Pkgs, etc. Half or better will have Prem Sound upgrade. Sitting there on their mediocre all-season tires. Often all the 3s will either have one MSRP or another. The dealer will order them only about 2 different ways. You'll be lucky to find one with Sport Pkg.
  • Options
    "Rising prices and falling reliability"

I don't know about you, but the prices of everything has risen. I bought my first car for $10K. As for falling reliability, their reliablity has been increasing over the long haul. Certainly no more bumpy than any manufacturer. Re: tranny and engine sludge.

PS my friend just had his Toyota in not even a month ago for the ol' engine sludge problem.
  • Options
    topspin628topspin628 Member Posts: 373
    I now have 40K trouble free miles on my 330i,sp,pp. I have owned many premium cars and I put this one right at the top of the list. No problems at all. Oh, and number one in fun factor.
  • Options
    butmywife1butmywife1 Member Posts: 26
    My '02 325xi has 31K and still puts a smile on my face whenever I drive it. I've experienced three small problems (blown light bulb, a rattle with a faulty wood panel connector, worn our windshield wipers) all of which were taken care of under warranty. My dealer also offers "tires for life" and I'm on my second set.

I, too, enjoyed the option of ordering my car exactly as I liked it (well, almost). My only gripe is that I could not order lumbar support for my 325 (I was told it wasn't even an option) and wasn't willing to pay the difference for the 330 to get it. Other than that, I like the ala carte approach.

Gordonwd: You will not regret your decision to get your first Bimmer. Take the plunge, man. The water feels great!

Shipo: We picked up our cars about the same time. How many miles does the 5er have now?
  • Options
    Given that I work from home about half the time, and my main client is now only 5 miles from home (the other is down in the NYC metro area, about 220 miles), even when I take the long way to work I don't generate too many miles. At this point, I have just over 18,000 on the clock with only fourteen months to go on my lease. Given its low mileage and my complste distaste of the new 5-Series, I am most probably going to buy it next year at lease end and keep it until I can justify a new 645Ci. ;-)

Best Regards,
    Shipo
  • Options
    kyfdxkyfdx Moderator Posts: 237,185
    I can't speak for the value or costs in buying a BMW of that age, but I do have a recommendation on the model.

1991 325is

This was the final year for that body style. The 325is has the bigger of the two engines available, and has all the sport options including a little lip spoiler in the rear. It is only available in the two-door coupe. The '91 has nice small-looking bumpers and is really sporty looking. I saw one just this week when I was out getting lunch. The '90 may be identical, but I'm not sure.

regards,
    kyfdx

Edmunds Price Checker
    Edmunds Lease Calculator
    Did you get a good deal? Be sure to come back and share!

Edmunds Moderator

• Options
    kdshapiro... Rising prices and falling reliability was primarily in reference to European marques like BMW, MB, Audi, and Jaguar. The initial onslaught of Acura, Lexus and Infiniti from about 1986-1992 forced these marques to hold down prices and improve quality. They did this for about 6 years or so. But then they decided to be at the leading edge of all things electronic, gizmos, and gadgets. BMW 8 Series led the charge. Just look what happened between 1992-1996 and from about 1998-2002. For reliability, just look at CR.

Just compare prices and equipment for recent and current 325i/330i vs. G35, IS300, TSX, TL, etc. Value equation is moving against BMW. No wonder so many need to consider European Delivery, BMW CCA rebates, etc. Loaded '04 IS300 MSRP today is less expensive than it was in MY2001 and it now has side curtain airbags, memory seats, automatic locks, BA, auto-dimming rear-/sideview mirrors, and other things standard.

The 330i Performance Pkg adds $3,900 to the base $35,495 price of a 330i sedan. And even it still doesn't have LSD! To get that you have to go to the $47,195 M3.

Don't know about you, but I can't afford the $70K 6 or 7, nor a new $60K 545i. Might barely be able to afford the $52K or so 530i I see on dealer lots. But I couldn't imagine paying that much for a 3.0L engine. Rather have a Cadillac CTS-V (V8 & 6-speed manual) for same amount of mone, though an M3 would also be nice.
  • Options
    ptrekkerptrekker Member Posts: 51
    While I love my fairly new BMW, I wouldn't reccomend an old one for a winter rat. From reading these boards they seem more tempermental and expensive to maintain as they get older. Plus, the rear wheel drive -- while adequate with snows -- is not the best choice fo winter driving.

I would reccomend an 6-8 year old Civic, Imprezza or Tercel, if you're thinking beater.

My 2 cents.
  • Options
    "Plus, the rear wheel drive -- while adequate with snows -- is not the best choice fo winter driving."

Everything I could gather 4 snows on a RWD and 4 snows on a FWD, better snow handling goes to RWD.

FWD better than RWD without snows. Having used to own RWD cars with snows, although not the modern miracles of today's technology, the RWD drive with snows was perfectly adequate.
  • Options
    "Don't know about you, but I can't afford the $70K 6 or 7"

Are you saying you could afford a $70K LS430 then because of the value? If I could afford a $70K car, the 7 series would be in my garage in a heartbeat not an LS430.

If I could afford to spend up to $45K for a car, it would be a 3 series. If I could afford to spend up to $30K for a car, it would be an Accord or a 1-series.

You vote with your dollars.
  • Options
    kdshapiro... Nothing hidden there. I just couldn't afford the monthly payment tied to buying a $60-70K car. Even $50K is pushing it.

But then again, ever notice how the percentage of cars leased is highly correlated to price? Remember reading somewhere that at one time something like 70-85% of all Jaguar XJs were leased. Who wants a $1200-1500 a month car payment on a depreciating asset?

The next BMW for me might only be 1 Series, but even then it likely will be too expensive for what it offers and come with too many electronic gadgets and gizmos.

The 3 Series isn't a good value once you push its MSRP over about $38K. If I had $40-45K to buy a car today, it would likely be either a Lexus GS300 (too bad it is only automatic) or VW Passat W8 4motion with 6-speed manual. But then I can't imagine spending more than $40K on a depreciating asset. (Most I've ever paid was about $36K, but that included the trade-in.)
  • Options
    "ut then again, ever notice how the percentage of cars leased is highly correlated to price?"

Know why they are leased? They are a tax deduction, the people can afford 'em and give 'em back in 3 years. That's why I lease mine.

The 3 series isn't a good value if you look at it as any ol' engine, 4 tires and a steering wheel. As a matter of fact no car above $15K is worth it if that is your opinion. I would say the same is true for the new TL, G35 and the IS. For $10K more than the 330i you can get the CTS-V.

I'd rather have the BMW, I'll even move over for you as you pass me.
  • Options
    rustyrrustyr Member Posts: 10
    My 2003 325i has under 4,000 mi. so I don't know what the future brings. But I've had no problems with the car except the automatic transmission shifted a bit oddly initially. They re-did the software in a matter of minutes and it's been perfect since. The only knock I have is the absence of the lumbar support. Otherwise, this little car performs incredibly in all respects. I can't wait to jump behind the wheel every time. Best car I've ever owned (vs. Volvo S60; Passat GLS, and other lesser vehicles previously).
  • Options
    Mine has about 24K miles. I just brought it May '03 for the 15K service. Previously it was just in June '02 for a weatherstripping issue and Aug '02 for a quick consultation with the service advisor about some markings on the rim. I was there for about 10 minutes.

I too don't what the future will bring. But I suspect if it's like any other car I've owned, past the warranty period the wallet will have to be opened. Except this vehicle is being given back, so it's the next owners issue.
  • Options
    Has anyone out here purchased a '04 3 series (not M3) with SMG. Anyone, who has test driven one care to comment. Thx.
  • Options
    nissancarnissancar Member Posts: 9
    I need some help with my 328i BMW as I am not able to play the stereo after my battery went dead. It asks for CODE and I have no idea what it is (I had bought the car from someone a year ago).

Can somebody please help how to come across this problem...any body faced it? I would really appreciate it.

Also I went to BMW service and they are asking for $210 to replace the batter, but MTB would do it for $100. It should be fine wth MTB right?

Thanks
  • Options
    To top it all off, I read that the next 3-series will be ~ 5 inches longer than the E46. I think the 1-series will be closer in size to the E46 but you're probably right that it will be too gadgetized...If I were to buy a car today, I'd be looking at the Lancer Evo first. One of my colleagues got one - in addition to its incredible performance, it looks awesome in person, esp. if you could get rid of the coffee table sitting on its trunk.
  • Options
    When you got the car didn't it come with a tag for the stereo? The dealer should be able to tell you how to reactivate the stereo. Maybe write BMW NA an email?
  • Options
    nissancarnissancar Member Posts: 9
    I need some help with my 328i BMW as I am not able to play the stereo after my battery went dead. It asks for CODE and I have no idea what it is (I had bought the car from someone a year ago).

Can somebody please help how to come across this problem...any body faced it? I would really appreciate it.

Also I went to BMW service and they are asking for $210 to replace the batter, but MTB would do it for $100. It should be fine wth MTB right?

Thanks
  • Options
    div2div2 Member Posts: 2,580
    When older BMW radios are disconnected from their power source they require that a unique five digit code be entered using the numbered buttons on the faceplate. New owners are given cards containing the code. You might check your owners manual and related booklets to see if the cards are there or if the previous owner wrote them down. Otherwise you will have to pull the radio and get the serial number off of it. Any BMW dealership will then be able to give you the code-though they should require you to prove that you are the registered owner. You can remove the radio yourself by opening the two little doors on either side of the faceplate and loosening the screws behind them. You should really use the proper tool(available from several BMW vendors for less than $20) but an allen wrench of the same approximate size will do in a pinch-though be careful that you don't strip out the socket.
    As for batteries, many have found that BMW replacement batteries are not nearly as long lasting as the original battery(my 1995 3er has has it's original battery, as does my wife's 1997 5er). Most Bimwads I know have bought a DieHard or Interstate Mega-Tron to replace the OEM battery. The MTP-91 is a popular choice: http://www.ibsa.com/estore/view_product_detail.asp?part_number=MT- P-91&mscssid=P07NX6N7KXPA9P14ENVX52AXXFVW3DEA&js=1
    Make sure that whatever battery you buy is fitted with a vent tube that hooks up to the vent hose in the trunk of your car; failing to do so will allow explosive gases to accumulate in your trunk. It's a simple D-I-Y job:
    1. Remove negative cable
    2. Remove positive cable
    3. Disconnect vent hose
    4. Remove old battery
    5. Clean cable terminals with a battery cleaning tool
    6. Install new battery
    7. Install vehicle vent hose
    8. Fit anti-corrosion washers over battery terminals
    9. Install positive terminal-DO NOT over tighten
    10. Install negative terminal(ditto)
    Regardless of what many believe, most so-called "maintenance free" batteries still need to be topped up with distilled water from time to time. Checking and topping up your battery every six months or so will greatly extend battery life.
  • Options
    I work for a company that is the world leader in automated, robotic paint systems for the auto industry. I talked to one of our experts about this. Yes, metallic paint does cost more than the solid colors. It is also more difficult to apply correctly, but this is all automated these days. Our guess was that it costs about $50/car more for the metallic paint-job, or $100 at the outside. So they take the opportunity to make some money off of this option.

There's nothing inherently wrong about this -- it is apparently a European tradition. For instance, GM does not charge extra for metallic paint, but GM-owned Saab does charge for it even on cars sold in the U.S.

They either get their money from you in the base price, or they get it in the options :-).