Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

BMW 3-Series 2005 and earlier

Comments

• jimbresjimbres Member Posts: 2,025
    Right now, the IS300 is no threat to the 330i. Look at the difference in 0-60 times: 7.5 seconds for the IS vs. 6.1 seconds for the 330i.

I looked at the IS300 but didn't drive it. Why should I? How can I take it seriously as a real sports sedan if I can't buy it with a stick? I know that the '02 model will be available with a 5-speed manual, but Lexus screwed up badly by not offering a stick from the beginning.

In the longer term, though, BMW should worry. The Toyota organization has enormous cash reserves & can easily afford to spend whatever it takes to whip the IS300 into shape. As car manufacturers go, BMW is a small company, & Toyota/Lexus could spend it into the ground. I wouldn't dream of buying an IS today, but I might sing a different tune in 2005.
  • alpine325ialpine325i Member Posts: 209
    1. To me, a Lexus is just a Lexus, a glorified type of honda thing always trying to play catch up with BMW. They're like, look! look! we now have a car that MIGHT compete with the BMW. Just the fact that they're trying so hard to get near the BMW makes me feel better that I own a BMW. 2. There are so many things other than horsepower that were the reasons to but a BMW, racing heritage, an interior laid out so perfect without following fads or trends that will look dated in a few years, the feel of the car is superior, it knows what you are going to do before you do it with a much higher level of precision, resale value, oh, and I almost forgot BMW was in the 10 best cars 10 years in a row, I didn't see Lexus in there, the list of substantial things goes on and on. If you look closely at the design lines of the IS300, you will see that it looks like a an Acura Honda thing that your grandma would drive,especially the front end! very boring and lacks an original statement compared to a 3 series. The back end lines contradict themselves and will look silly when the clear lenses fad goes away, I'll go: look, remember when they used to do that stuff back in 2001, and I don't care how many wannabe's can beat my BMW off the line, they all look the same like a Hyundai and will never be a true classic. v_tech, how old are you? you sound like the typical very young and very angry with no real reason to be angry. Go ahead follow the trends, isn't that what young guys are supposed to do? Just the fact of you jumping in this board acting like a troll makes it even more funny. You are trying too hard and seems like the type that deserves a Lexus. BMW is kicking a** in Formula 1. I think Lexus is thinking too much about important things like clear lenses instead of performance innovations! LOL :o)
  • thedeepdarkbluthedeepdarkblu Member Posts: 106
    I'm not quite sure why you decided to jump into this forum, but it seems like you've got some odd, juvenile bone to pick with BMW owners. First of all, I agree with Alpine325i--you seem like an angry 17 year-old who cares only about speed. Have you ever driven a BMW? It's not just about outright power--there's so much more to the "driving experience" than straight-line acceleration. Ever considered such factors as aesthetics, refinement, road feel, handling, workmanship, amenities, and pure driving pleasure? Granted, Integras are quick (once referred to as the "poor man's BMW," in a car magazine--what does that tell you?), but a BMW 3-series seems to do just about everything well, and for the price, there is no match in the automobile world (I'm not the only one who thinks this is true). Why do you think you see so many articles that compare new cars to BMWs? Even cars that are faster don't necessarily rate better than BMWs--again, b/c there's so much more to a car than speed. Put a turbo kit on an IS300? Sure, it'll go fast, but it's still an IS300. That's like saying, "Oooh, if you strap the jet-engines from an F-16 on your Yugo GV Sport, it'll outrun a Ferrari." Okay, maybe I'm being extreme, but you get the idea.

Yes, every person has his/her opinion--and the Town Hall is where we can express them, but my suggestion to you is--go to an IS300 or Integra forum, and join the loyal hordes who might actually enjoy hearing what you have to say. You aren't going to get a whole lot of support here.
  • denrightdenright Member Posts: 285
    and a few bells and whistles. I laugh at anyone who buys one. Biggest waste of money on earth.
  • gr8st8gr8st8 Member Posts: 33
    I've never test drove an IS300 before, but having previously owned 3 japanese cars(mitsubishi,honda,toyota) and 2 european cars(Mercedes-Benz, Peugeot) and now my 330xi, I can really tell that each car has its own plusses and minuses compared to the others.
    I hate to admit this, but IMO the Japanese are better at designing interiors and, for some reasons I couldn't explain, I just feel like their cars are easier and simpler to drive and I can also attest to their excellent long-term endurance.
    European cars, on the other hand, are simply in a league of their own. The main and most noticeable differences on European cars from Japanese cars are the superior handling and that overall "balanced" feel. This is not a secret as most people have talked about it, but unless you drive an European car yourself, you probably wouldn't know and understand what I'm talking about. Of course, my bimmer cost me about $40 K and I know that that's a lot but do I think it's worth the $5 K extra over an IS300 considering what I'm getting in a 330xi? Hell yes.
    Are there cars out there who can outrun a 3er? Yes, and there are quite a lot of them.
    Although I think the 0-60 time may have played a factor in everyone's decision when buying a 3er, I'd be surprised if that is ultimate deciding point.
    Personally for me, I didn't buy a bimmer just for the 0-60 time. If that was my main worry I would've bought a $18 K Civic Si and dumped about $5-10 K in modifying the engine and car.

Just my 2 cents.
  • burrsrburrsr Member Posts: 255
    Going solely by your login name, you REALLY like Hondas (but not quite enough to be able to spell their technology correctly). I previously had a 1995 GS-R, and I can say that yes, it was a great all-around car. No BMW -- not even close -- but a value-laiden pocket rocket, yes. As I said (and I'm plagiarizing from the auto press) before, the GS-R is a "starter" 325.

Your posts also indicate that you have done an "on-paper" analysis only. Good start, but about 10% of the picture -- have you actually DRIVEN a BMW or any of its would-be competitors (imitators) to get a feel for the other 90% of the equation??? See my post #2182. I DROVE the products from Acura and Lexus, thinking I would end up with one of them. When I drove the 325i, however, I realized that the "on-paper" is only 10% of the equation, not the other way around as I had originally thought. It's the unquantifiable togetherness and harmony of the machine that easily won out over the others, not the raw data in the form of hp, 0-60 times, redlines, etc. And I "merely" test drove the 325i! I hadn't anticipated spending over $30k, but those "unquantifiables" made it a no-brainer. And while I was at it, I never wanted to say "what if", so I went all out and got the 330i.

The moral of the story, v_tech, is to do your homework before coming to a board and blaspheming blindly/unjustifiably. And if you're still unconfinced, go out and get a used Z28 -- the most "on-paper" bang for the buck without a hint of the unquantifiables that true enthusiasts value so dearly.

Can't wait to hear Mr. Brave1heart's spin on all of this... :)
  • brave1heartbrave1heart Member Posts: 2,698
    v_tech!!! Standing ovations and the crowd goes ecstatic. What a clown. Your mom would be very proud of having a 12-year old who knows how to turn on the computer and hook up to the Internet.

Well, I did get to drive an IS300 last fall. The car felt slow and totally unexciting to drive. The engine noise sounded like it was generated by a Nintendo game. The suspension is stiff but not exactly comfortable and a few times I bottomed it when I hit bumps on the road. There is a severe understeer problem and every time I cornered I felt like I had to correct my corrections. The exterior says Honda Civic more than anything else. The triangular clear lens lights may appeal to a 12-year old but they show no class at all. The exterior lines are busy. The interior felt cramped up and there was severe lack of legroom. I was sitting in it like I was wearing a short skirt during an important job interview. The dash is so tacky it could have been a K-Mart blue light special. I liked the steering wheel and the seats - those were great. Everything else was screaming Nintendo generation boy racer car. Oh, and does anyone from the Nintendo generation even know how to drive a manual these days? Judging by the lack of a manual in the IS300, I'd be guessing no. I am not the least bit worried about Toyota ever catching up with BMW or any other German automaker any time soon. Maybe Japanese Nintendo games will be better, though. :O)
  • stokdgsstokdgs Member Posts: 65
    I just sold a very nice 91' Acura GS fully modified suspension, engine, etc... very nice car, built for handling, braking, first, then speed. Great car in its own league..

Drove the IS300 last year when they were the rage, couldnt find one easily in Sacramento. Finally got to drive one, and in a word, boring.
    Very unresponsive off the line, I could have slept through the test drive. Numbing steering, pretty harsh suspension feedback, one would have to get used to the interior and exterior look. They were overpricing them to the extent that a new '01 325I was barely a few thousand difference. The dealer was annoyingly smug about their product and didnt even want to talk about dealing, when I told them they were pricing it up to close to the 325i. Now, today they have 2 0 0
    of them and can barely give them away !!
    I bought the 325i for all the reasons written above by many and can say , there is absolutely no comparison between the Bavarian and the Japanese makes here.. I have yet to see 2 0 0 new BMW cars on any lot waiting to be sold, so what does that tell you ?? The BMW stock or F1 and everything else in between, is still years ahead of the closest competition.. Nothing yet compares to that BMW Symphony at high rpm !!!
    DanF '01 325i Sedan, 5 speed, black, black leather, SP, PP, Xenon, HK upgrade, 6 cd changer
    It's funny how similar and agreeing our IS300 reviews are. Where have you been, we need ya here. Anyone else lurking over the board out there, slim shady or else, please stand up and reveal yourself. BTW, the IS300's TMV on Edmunds is now below invoice. 'Nuff said.
  • jodettejodette Member Posts: 9
    Does anyone know when the 2002 BMW 330 xi comes out?? And will there be major changes from the 2001 model??
  • dl7265dl7265 Member Posts: 1,381
    but, But , but ,but don't those clear lens and 8" muffler tip make u go faster ? hahaha
    Sorry my message keeps showing up.
    Hi,

I think, the new models typically come out in September and you should be able to pre-order them some time in June. I keep up with the automotive press and I can say for sure that BMW is not planning any major changes for next year's 3-series. I suspect there may be a minor facelift to keep it looking fresh but the rest of the car should be very much the same. For 2003, BMW is coming up with improved (didn't think that was even possible!!) engine management technology that is supposed to offer extra creamy smooth engines with improved fuel efficiency.

wailea - I've read that the wagons in general offer pretty good weight distribution and I'm not surprised to hear that the 3-series wagon handles well. Oddly enough, Audi's fastest car in Europe (the RS2) is an A4 Avant on steroids. It's something like 360 hp and you can only get it in wagon trim.
    Has anyone had any experience with it? Can anyone recommend for/against it? Thanks.
  • tcn2ktcn2k Member Posts: 277
    Get outta here, just because you can't afford the bmw, go get your little honda or little toyota (lexus same thing) and go else where. Your just JEALOUS!!!!
    I went up and read yours and wow, we must think alot alike about some of these things !
    Ive been so busy with work, Ive barely had time to check in, but did this am and saw that IS300 trash going on.. They have always had one of those "detached" feelings when you drive them, totally isolated from the road, which may be very good to some but not this guy..
    Thanks for taking good care of all of us, Ill be around periodically to see whats happening, I started posting on the old site believe since mid year of 2000 or so.. Seen alot of good and then alot of not-so-good happen, this new forum is one of the best things to happen, and seems to have helped get things calm again..
    Take Care !!

DanF
    Ive used them for years and had very good results on a number of cars. Very easy to maintain and they really filter well. Never had problems with them.
    I also am looking to modify my 01' 325i but havent found anyone that sells one yet for it. I would also like to investigate a cold air box, etc.. to go along with it. Havent found any software either, but still looking.. Guess Dinan may have some soon, I need to check out their site again.. Ill let you know if I find any and hope you can do the same..

Thanks
    DanF
    Not in a BMW. I currently have one in my '99 Accord EX 4-cyl. It's a manual, so the pickup was fair to middling to begin with. When I added the K&N, it definitely added power (how much, I can't say). It "felt" like a few horses. My midrange torque was definitely improved. Plus, even if you don't get gobs of horsepower from it, at least you won't have to clean or change your filter until 100K miles! It also adds a sweet (but not obnoxious) sound when you hit the gas. If you have your windows down, you can hear the increased air intake. Worth the paltry 40 smackers in my opinion.
    In case anyone is following my saga of exploring whether or not sport seats can be ordered for the 330xi without the sport package, I spoke to my salesman at VOB BMW today. He tells me that a special order like that would be possible, but it will take big bucks -- he said maybe $2000 -- and they would need the money up front. He said he would find out exactly how much it will cost and get back to me.

I can tell you there's no way I am spending $2000 on sport seats. I wish I didn't hate the M aero styling.
    Where could I get one of these for a 3-series?
  • bmwvadriverbmwvadriver Member Posts: 13
    Yesterday, I picked up my 2001 325i after it spent 6 days in the shop for major mechanical repairs to its braking system...this after only 3,000 miles. I was hating the car...and BMW's customer service.

Then I drove it again, and realized why BMW can get away with bad customer service. The car sells itself and people (me included) will ultimately overlook the bad service until something else comparable comes along. Right now, though, there is NOTHING on the horizon that even comes close. Nothing drives like a BMW...it really is an awesome machine. Wow...I wish there was something else close, but I've decided I can't part with the car.

I test drove a C Class on Saturday, again, and realized that it's just a BMW wannabe that really doesn't compare at all. As for the Japanese cars, that's a whole other market. Those cars, IS300 included, are not for true driving enthusiasts. Brave1heart...I felt like you did when you picked up your new car last week...it's a feeling you only get in a BMW. I just hope nothing else major goes wrong with this car.
  • platypusplatypus Member Posts: 192
    Just returned from Euro delivery. All I can say is - what an incredible experience!!! I strongly encourage everyone who is interested in purchasing a BMW to take advantage of this tremendous program at least once in his or her lives. I'm already talking about the next trip! And this is not coming from someone who's never been to Europe before. My previous travels have led me throughout Europe, Asia, and South America. There is just something magical about driving the car you've been waiting in anticipation for on the splendid roads of Europe. (Or at least Germany and Austria in my case.) BMW is essentially paying you to take delivery there. The savings you get on the car will easily pay for the cost of your trip (notwithstanding splurging in fancy hotels and restaurants). With a little moderation, you can have your cake and eat it too.

So, back to the trip. My wife and I picked up the car (330i, 5-spd, titanium silver, black leatherette, SP, MR) in Munich on April 25. We took the subway from Marienplatz and rolled our luggage for the 10-minute walk from the subway station. Arriving at the delivery center was very cool - bimmers everywhere and a sign at the gate that said simply, "BMW European Delivery." We went inside, had a great lunch on BMW, and after about an hour, were called to pick up the car. Can't believe how excited I was to see it - this 32 year old felt like a 10-year-old kid in a toy store. My delivery person spent about 30 minutes going over the car with me. I purchased wheel locks for $20 at the center and they installed them for me. Then she sent us off with a reminder to keep the speed below 80mph and the rpms below 4000. I was quickly amazed by the power in the 3-liter six. My others cars are 4-bangers and a couple of times I applied a bit too much pressure on the accelerator and we were thrown back into our seats. Wow!

Our first stop was at a large (largest perhaps in Munich) BMW dealer about 5 minutes from the delivery center - blows away every US dealer I've been too. Every make and model imaginable was on display, including the Z8. Lots of cool accessories also, and in the back, they had on display all the optional wheel designs offered by BMW. A great place to go for someone looking for OEM modifications to their car.

We then headed out to Dachau, Germany's first concentration camp. I had visited previously, but it was the first time for my wife - you cannot go away without being moved.

Finally, we put the car on the autobahn and headed north for Nuremberg. It was tough to stay below 80mph as cars going upwards of 120mph were passing us. They passed us like we were standing still. But I kept my willpower and followed the instructions of my delivery person. We spent the night in Nuremberg and visited the old town the following day. On the way out, we stopped at Room 600 of the courthouse where the infamous Nuremberg trials were held. (We were actually able to go into the room as a trial was currently in progress, although since neither of us spoke German, we didn't understand anything.)

The next stop was to the west - Rothenburg ob der Tauber - a medieval town that no one should pass up. With its walled inner city, it has the ability to transport you back into the past (despite the tourists). Leaving Rothenburg, we drove for about 60 miles on the famous Romantic Road, passing the other medieval towns of Nordlingen and Dinkelsbuhl.

From there, it was southbound to Fussen, which stands at the foot of the Alps near the Austrian border. On the way to Fussen, we had a little incident with the local authorities. I was driving along at about 75mph, when a VW Passat wagon passes us and then pulls in front of us. There is a display in the back window of the wagon that begins to flash to us in red letters, "Police, Follow." However, the display was in German. Police I understood - Follow I did not. I thought the car might be trying to tell us that there were police up ahead. I followed the car for about 2 minutes, until finally another car passed both of us. I figured, hey, that guy passed the Passat so I guess I can do the same. As soon as I moved to the left lane, the Passat swerves to cut me off. Now I'm thinking, "What the %&@!" I move back into the right lane and the guy in the passenger seat turns around and flashes a badge to us. Then it dawned on me that they were police. (Remember, the car had no markings to indicate it was an official police vehicle.) Needless to say, I really felt like an idiot. I followed him at the next exit into a service station. Both men get out (one dressed in typical Tyrolean attire) and approach us to ask for our papers (passports and vehicle registration). After seeing that the car was indeed mine, they let us go. I asked them why we were pulled over and they said they just do periodic checks looking for stolen cars and drugs. Guess my wife and I have that suspicious look about us. Or perhaps it was because we were the only ones on the autobahn doing 75mph. ;-)

Eventually, we found our way to Fussen and holed up in this beautiful little inn at the foot of a lake. King Ludwig's castle of Neuschwanstein awaited us the following day. If you don't know it, this is the most photographed castle in Germany and is the one that Walt Disney modeled his castles after.

After visiting Neuschwanstein, we headed into the Alps and crossed the border for Innsbruck. I was skeptical about going to Innsbruck, thinking that it was going to be a typical ski town. I was definitely wrong - Innsbruck is very charming, and surrounded by the Alps, is one of the most beautiful cities in Austria. A definite must see IMO. From Innsbruck, it was back through the Alps into Germany again to visit the alpine village of Garmish-Partenkirchen, where the winters Olympics were once held. We had a superb plate of pasta at a trattoria in Garmisch, and then headed to another of Ludwig's castles: Schloss Linderhoff. Then it was back through the German countryside and into Austria and the city of Mozart, Salzburg.

Salzburg was probably my favorite city on the trip. The fortress that overlooks the city and the old town with its cafes and music were simply wonderful. We spent one evening at the fortress and dined at a restaurant with a table overlooking the Alps, and followed it up with a chamber music concert listening to Mozart. (I can't do that in Austin!)

We spend two days in Salzburg and then headed to Vienna. A beautiful city in its own right with a very rich history. Vienna reminded me a bit of Paris. It had more of that big city feel to it where people are generally more hurried. The palaces of the Hapsburg dynasties were phenomenal, as was a visit to the Spanish Riding School to view the training sessions of the Lippizaner horses. And the desserts... We could have eaten desserts in the cafes all day long, so sumptuous they were.

Finally, our trip was approaching its end, and we began the 300-mile drive back to Munich, stop
    (Continued - didn't know there was a length limit)

Finally, our trip was approaching its end, and we began the 300-mile drive back to Munich, stopping on the way at the Melk Abbey and the Austrian concentration camp of Mauthausen. I realized at this point that I would surpass the 1200-mile break-in point, but it would not be until we were quite close to Munich. So perhaps I could get a taste of really driving the German autobahn after all. This happened about 20 miles outside of Munich. I was able to push the car up to 134mph (per the speedometer) before the governor kicked in. It felt like I had suddenly let up off the accelerator; too bad because the car was still pulling even at this speed. Furthermore, as I was blowing by cars in the middle lane, there were cars in front of me and behind me who were traveling the same speed!! I can see why the best cars in the world are made in Germany. BMW, MBZ, and Porsche all have those wonderful roads to drive on - places where the cars can really live out their full potential. We dropped the car off in Munich at E.H. Harms the following day (May 4), and the folks there were very courteous and expeditious, calling us a cab to take us to the airport. (Fortunately we were able to leave later that day because the Lufthansa pilots were on strike through noon). All in all, 9 days with the car and 1245 miles.

Let me touch briefly on the roads. The German autobahn is just amazing. People can drive at those speeds because they keep the roads in such good condition. Hardly any imperfections or inconsistencies. No dirt or rocks on the road that get thrown up by the many trucks. Just smooth, wide-open lanes that invite you to go faster and faster. Of course not all the autobahns are in pristine condition, but a majority of the ones I drove on were. This was in stark contrast to the roads in Austria. Frankly, they paled in comparison to their German counterparts. The 200-mile trip between Salzburg and Vienna (which we did in both directions) was painful. So much construction where the speeds were limited to 80kph (about 50mph). Driving on the back roads wasn't any better because the speeds were limited at 70kph, and for the most part, Austrians don't speed. The back roads in Germany were lots of fun though. Sections on the Romantic Road and in the Alps that invited me to test the perfect balance and agility of the 3er. What a wonderful car to drive on those roads.

And finally, let me highlight the car itself. IMO, the titanium silver with the sports package is stunning - I can't get enough of looking at it. (For right now I have to settle with my pictures since I left my car behind.) Silver shows the superb lines of the e46 better than any other color. Yes there were lots and lots of silver e46s in Germany, but that still doesn't tire me from the color. Plus, I am completely satisfied with the black leatherette. It looks and smells great, and saved me about $1200. The aluminum trim provides a stark contrast to the all-black interior - very sharp. However, it tends to streak easily and will require constant effort to keep clean. The moonroof is also a must-have option IMO because it is so large. When fully open, it extends way beyond the back of your head. Engine, as I said before is excellent. I love the exhaust note when the car is started - you know this car means business. I was able to pass cars effortlessly, even when ascending hills in the Alps. Handling and balance are very crisp. The sport seats are very snug, but I think I will need to work on the seating position. There is so much side bolster support, that it was difficult for me to get used to, especially as a passenger. (And for those of you thinking I need to lose weight, I'm 6'1" and weigh 150 lbs.) The shifter also took some getting used to. The throws are very long in comparison to my Z3 and my GS-R. I may look at getting a short shifter kit. And the clutch is a completely different animal. I will certainly not be drag racing anyone off the line until starting in first gear becomes second nature to me.

There were only two things that stood at as deficiencies IMO. First, I believe there is excessive wind noise at freeway speeds, especially when conditions are gusty outside. I think BMW can do a better job in this regard. This however is more of an annoyance and I can live with it. The other deficiency is - you guessed it - the steering. My car is a week 14 car. It has a stamp of 4/01 production on the vehicle. Rumors were that all April production and beyond cars would have the old 99-00 heavy steering from the 323/328. I don't know what steering my car has - only that it is too light - noticeably lighter than both my Z3 and GS-R. The steering does not mesh with the rest of the car's sporting character. It's a shame that BMW doesn't offer the wonderful heavy steering from the e36 when cars with sport packages are ordered. This would be a great way IMO for BMW to satisfy both markets - sport and luxury. I'm undecided as to what I am going to do about the steering. I've read posts from several owners that the retrofit helps, but is not fully satisfying. (Furthermore, I may already have the retrofit - who knows.) I'm more inclined to wait until the 2002 models come out and see if the steering from those cars can be retrofitted. Supposedly, the steering in the new compact (ti) is superb. Apart from the steering issue, I would rate the car as a 9 out of 10. However, given that the steering plays such a significant role in how a car feels, my overall rating has to drop to 7.5 out of 10.

Below is the link with some pictures from the trip for those of you that are interested. Most are captioned I believe. Be warned that there are lots of pictures of cars as I am an auto enthusiast. Most of the touristy pictures are not there since they were taken with our 35mm camera.

http://albums.photopoint.com/j/AlbumIndex?u=1673915&a=12838045

Enjoy, and for those of you that made it all the way to the end, thanks for reading my post.

The 325i is an incredible car as it is. The only thing I'd like to look into is tuning for additional HP. Something like 20 HP would be perfect. I want to do anything that is legal and does not breach the warranty. I watched a very interesting documentary on automotive inventions on the Discovery channel a couple of months ago. They mentioned that the K&N filter was one of the simplest and most ingenious inventions of recent decades. The said that it keeps all the dirt out and it still allows the engine to breathe well even with some dirt on the filter. It is a bit more expensive than conventional paper filters but you don't have to replace it ever - you just clean it. I can see how improving airflow efficiency can improve the combustion process in the engine. I also recall reading somewhere that a K&N filter is by far the easiest and cheapest way to gain a few ponies but I don't have any empirical proof of that.

As far as CAI (cold air intake), Dinan has a 325i upgrade kit for $300 that improves air flow thus resulting in an 8 HP gain. I just downloaded some stuff from their web site and I can’t wait to read it in more detail when I get the time. I want to find out if you need a chip mod for the CAI. I wouldn't want to change the software for my car.

Please keep checking the board. Sharing our knowledge will help all of us.
    Welcome back!!! I've been expecting your return posts eagerly.
  • kominskykominsky Member Posts: 850
    Brave1hear, et al.; I did a lot of research a couple of years ago when looking for an aftermarket air filter for my motorcycle. It seemed that the general consensus was that you will be letting more air into the intake using a high-flow filter, but the unfortunate by-product is that you will also be allowing more dirt into the intake at the same time. Again, this was for a motorcycle with a redline north of 11,500 RPM, but I decided in that case, the couple of horsepower gain wasn't worth the additional wear.

That being said, I'm desperately trying to convince my wife that I NEED a Dinan Cold Air Intake for the BMW!!!
    I can't wait to hear more about the CAI conversion. Any drawbacks to the 8 HP gain? How much is the labor in addition to the $300 for the kit? Do you need a chip mod too?
    Not in a BMW. I currently have one in my '99 Accord EX 4-cyl. It's a manual, so the pickup was fair to middling to begin with. When I added the K&N, it definitely added power (how much, I can't say). It "felt" like a few horses. My midrange torque was definitely improved. Plus, even if you don't get gobs of horsepower from it, at least you won't have to clean or change your filter until 100K miles! It also adds a sweet (but not obnoxious) sound when you hit the gas. If you have your windows down, you can hear the increased air intake. Worth the paltry 40 smackers in my opinion.
    Thanks! I see that you too have received and are enjoying your car.

That's the price I pay for a Euro Delivery I guess. I was told unofficially that it should be 4-5 weeks before I see my car again. (The official BMW position is 6-8 weeks.)

Waiting once again in anticipation...
    I just called Tischer BMW in Maryland (certified DINAN dealer, pronounced DYNIN). The technician said that if you add a the Stage 2 Software (have yet to determine if Stage 1 is required), the CAI, and the Free Flow Exhaust, you'll add about 20 horses to the 325 (Zowee!!). None of these parts will void the warranty, only an engine mod like adding a supercharger. But he wasn't POSITIVE about this. I would double and triple check w/ both DINAN and BMW. Note: if you get the CAI, you MUST get the Stage 2 Software download, as it manages the fuel to air ratio. You car will require less fuel, due to the increased airflow. You performance will increase and your fuel economy will improve as well. I don't know where the $299 CAI cost came from, but DINAN lists it at $499 (OOOF!). Check out http://www.dinanbmw.com
    bmwvadriver - It's great to see that you are staying aBoard and you are not jumping ships. I was getting worried that we'd lose you a couple of days ago. I hope everything goes smooth with the car from now on.

platypus - I read your posts from cover to cover :O). Very narrative and informative. I think we are all in agreement on the steering. I'm not sure if you've had the time to go through the hundreds of posts since you left for Europe but basically, my car was came off the assembly line the same day as yours - 4/1. I compared it back to back with a '00 323i - read my posts from Sunday night. I will be contacting BMWNA and getting on their case soon. BTW, great pictures from the trip!!!

Well, I can't take my eyes from this board but it's getting very tough to keep up. What a great collective wisdom!!
  • aldubyaaldubya Member Posts: 38
    have had my 325xi for a couple of weeks now and enjoying it immensely. Leased it at Erhard BMW in Bloomfield Hills, MI. Unable to bargain at all even though I returned several times to discuss purchase vs leasing with my sales person who was very nice. Why not! He's getting top dollar. I figured, oh well, you only go round once. This is my first BMW. I have auto trans which you purists will undoubtedly pooh-pooh. But, my wife also drives this car, and the auto is just easier for her. She absolutely loves the car and has already tried to appropriate it from me. I also scored big with my 15 year old grandson who also loves the machine. I have the silver with the Prem pkg,. leather, moon roof. Since this is an after March 1st production car (BMW made in Germany, the fogs and cruise were part of the package. Found that when wanting acceleration like when merging down a ramp into freeway traffic, I wish I had the extra HP of the 330. Love the vroom vroom of the engine sound, though. And, my PS boost is the stiffer variety over the car that I test drove (apparently an earlier production car)
  • motorcity3motorcity3 Member Posts: 72
    Hello there Detroiter! I am picking up my 325i from Erhard BMW in Bloomfield Hills this evening.
    This is my first BMW also. I can't wait to drive it tonight!

PS: I was able to bargain. I got $760 below MSRP. Yeah, there are tough to bargain with in Bloomfield but it is doable.
    Enjoy the car!
  • mfeldmanmfeldman Member Posts: 140
    At the last minute I opted for the DRL. I figured that I might as well try them and can always go the other way. As for door locks I asked for them on my key but not my wifes but I think they mixed them up. I didn't notice till i hit the freway, which means it really wasn't tha important overall.

RE the steering, I tested a 323 whille waiting. In short, not enough of a difference to make me want to change.

Finally, do you know why BMW recommends less air pressure in front than in rear tires? THe dealer just put 35 all around.

Take care. Marc
    I just received my Bavarian Autosport catalog in the mail. WOW! The catalog is 10 times better than their web site, all kinds of cool stuff plus the famous Kleen Wheels that i've been raving about that are definitely a must have! I drove 2000 miles with the Kleen Wheels and they stayed as clean as the day I washed them, incredible product! Anyway, they have all kinds of stuff, check them out :o)
    brave1heart; If I get my way (and anyone who's married probably realizes I won't ;-)), I'll get the CAI and the software. The gains are about 11 HP and 9 lb/ft torque. The only down-side I'm aware of is the increased noise (howl). Personally, I like the sound, but others may not.

thedeepdarkblu; my understanding is that any Dinan part installed by an authorized (BMW) mechanic will not only NOT void the warrenty, but will be covered under the factory warranty...
  • mfeldmanmfeldman Member Posts: 140
    At the last minute I opted for the DRL. I figured that I might as well try them and can always go the other way. As for door locks I asked for them on my key but not my wifes but I think they mixed them up. I didn't notice till i hit the freway, which means it really wasn't tha important overall.

RE the steering, I tested a 323 whille waiting. In short, not enough of a difference to make me want to change.

Finally, do you know why BMW recommends less air pressure in front than in rear tires? THe dealer just put 35 all around.

Take care. Marc
    mfeldman - My salesperson told me the tire pressure for my 325i should be 32 psi all around. Somehow I had thought that the rears need more air because of the RWD and I asked her to check with the service department.

I'm surprised you didn't notice much of a difference in steering compared to the 323. When was your car produced? I'm wondering if you have the April '01 and later models, which are supposed to have the original 3-series steering.
    You are in for a great driving experience and will love your 325i. And, I, too, got 2% off MSRP which is about the same as you got ($760). It seems to be Erhard's SOP. I got the 325xi (AWD pkg) because feel better driving with this add on in Michigan weather, which as you know in the winter can become most fickle. Enjoy.
    I think my 325xi, which I picked up on 4/20, has the stiffer power steering than the test cars I drove (both 325i & 330i) in March
    I forgot, www.bavauto.com. The free catalog that I received had alot of performance upgrades and cool tech tips for everything. They also have all of the different K&N filters, cool stuff :o)
    Congratulations! Sounds like you had a Super duper good time! Thanks for the pictures, your car looks awesome! I gotta get my pictures up also, once I finally learn how to import them into the computer from my digital camera! I'll try tonight :o)
    Inside the drivers door there is a sticker with punchouts for tire pressure. I can't remember exactly what it looks like, but I remember being kind of confused by it initially. There are like three different shaped punches signifying different pressures for different loads in different states depending on what color shirt you're wearing, etc :-O

My rears get inflated higher (36psi vs 32psi) than the fronts, but I don't know if thats because of them being the drive tires or because of the different size.
  • gurumikegurumike Member Posts: 442
    Which ever model you have, the inflation guide on the door jam IS the authority on correct tire pressures. There will most likely be several choices, depending on which size tires you have and how much load you carry most of the time. In my experience, the new cars rarely have pressures at "spec", they are usually slightly over inflated at PDI for numerous mildly valid reasons.

If there are any unanswered questions on air intakes/software etc, that's a forte of mine and I'd be delighted to share thoughts.
    Just driving home and I passed a well wrapped-up new body 7 series on the freeway. BMW has a test center in Oxnard. What I could see looked pretty cool!
    K&N has been used for years in all types of racing including those dirty Baja 500, etc races and they seem to work better as they get dirtier. I never had anything get into a number of engines under all conditions.. They also make a model called FIPK that supposedly works better, if it can fit. I personally would want to use a cold air box configuration, to keep heat to a minimum, and water, etc, out of the intake system . Thanks for the info on Dinan, Steve Dinan is about 2 hours from me and maybe I can get the word from the Boss..
    Tire pressures - aside from racing, I like to stay within the limit thats stamped on the side of each tire, when hot. The Z rated tires at 17" and bigger tend to be able to handle more tire pressure I notice.. Perhaps some of the racing guys, ccotenj or div2 can enlighten us further?

Thanks !
    DanF
    The pressure rating on the tire is the tires own maximun (cold) pressure. It is unrelated to the correct pressure for you which is varible based on the type of car and it's weight with which the tire is used.
  • dl7265dl7265 Member Posts: 1,381
    Great photo's thanks ! i saw u got some shots of the New A4. What did u think of the car in person ? I could not agree more about SILVER :)

DL
  • sandeckisandecki Member Posts: 29
    I have read few posts here about you guys tracking your orders. Is it a bmwusa website, where on the website, my dealer in NJ is completely CLUELESS!!!