Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!
Options

Toyota Solara

1717273747577»

Comments

• Options
    loucopitsloucopits Member Posts: 103
    When mine was broken the dealer looked in my service records for the color code. On many cars it is on the metal plate, driver's side, door frame.
  • Options
    sunny2zmaxsunny2zmax Member Posts: 7
    Just purchased 2003 Solara SE Convertible. Key fob shows a trunk release but nothing seems to open it but the cable on the floorboard. Can this be true? Surely Toyota wouldn't have so poorly designed this all important feature? DId they?
    Thanks for a reply so I can quit looking or try and figure out what's the problem with the key fob as all other functions on it work.
    Sunny
  • Options
    sjbrodysjbrody Member Posts: 39
    My 2005 key fob works fine.

Spencer
  • Options
    Wonder if there is a difference in the 2004-2005. All other functions on the fob work but not the trunk. Have tried locking/unlocking the key at the floorboard near the gas tank release--still not action from the fob. I had seen where other Toyota owners with older models such as mine had apparently encountered the same problem but no one has been able to tell me how or if they remedied the situation.

Thanks for your response.
    Sunny
  • Options
    The remote opens my 2004 Solara SE's trunk OK.

Did you not get 2 remotes with the car?
  • Options
    milkomilko Member Posts: 1
    I have the exact problem but I noticed it is not part of the recall.
  • Options
    Well guess what, and no it's not just a blonde thing; however, after re-reading the manual I realized hat perhaps I was not holding down the trunk key long enough-rather like an instant click of my mouse. Anyhow, now that I actually hold the trunk emblem down longer--- it will open.
    By the way, have you perchance heard of any gas pedal sticking problems with our 2004 Toyotas? Thanks for your reply.
    Sunny
  • Options
    New Solara owner wonders if anyone else 's Solara has a tendency to pull to the right? When I bought it the seller took it to the mechanic and had the tires rotated and I noticed a difference. I've only put 150 miles on it; however, each time I start to drive it it will pull to the right for the first 10-15 miles. Any suggestions, solutions, awareness?
    Thanks...Sunny :blush:
  • Options
    I have not heard of any problems with the gas pedal sticking.
  • Options
    donavongdonavong Member Posts: 3
    I called LaBra and they helped me on my 06 solara, they actually put me in touch with (I think it was Bra King or something) at a cheaper price than what they would sell me one for. Worked good for about 1 1/2 years until bottom mesh blew out. Maybe it blew out from something hitting it and saving the evaporator behind it. It is a good idea to get one since Toyota has a design of open area in front bottom that makes them vunerable to rocks hitting the evaporator.
  • Options
    donavongdonavong Member Posts: 3
    For my second set of tires at 40k I went with the Discount Tire (Silver Edition). Price was right and the wear looks to be doing good with an aggresive tire design (now have 50k). The tires do have more road noise that the stock ones did. (They sure are proud of the RunFlat tires.)
  • Options
    scorpion2010scorpion2010 Member Posts: 1
    I have the same issue with my Toyota Solara 2001 its getting worse every time i have to drive in the freeway and i think the engine is licking oil because the vibrations have you find any solution about this problem, i am affraid to take it to a mechanic i waste my money, if you find any solucion let me know so when i take the car to any repair shop i can tell them exactly what is the problem and how the can fix it. thank you very much in advance.
  • Options
    Sounds like a tire out of balance.
  • Options
    maddog_maddog_ Member Posts: 1
    Sometimes when I start the car the idle goes up and dies suddenly. after trying couple of times and pushing the gas a little bit, it stays calm and runs good. That happened several times, but I couldn't figure out the problem. I checked the battery, it works fine.
    This morning, since we had a heavy snow storm here, I wanted to warm up the car so I started it and moved a little bit, for around 5 minutes. After half an hour I came back and the car was not cranking, nothing, it sounded like the battery died. I did jump it and started the car again.
    Could that be an alternator problem or starter problem? or maybe the battery is not good. Could you please help?
    Thank
  • Options
    mike34236mike34236 Member Posts: 2
    Hi. I'm wanting to purchase a Toyota Solara for around $3k. I have about $500 in wiggle room or so. Granted to try and price a used car you need to see it up close and what not, but I'd just like some opinions on if this one I'm looking at is prices high, low, or average.

http://sarasota.craigslist.org/cto/1706756916.html

Quick rundown is 99 solara. V6 model fully loaded w/leather and sunroof. 153k miles. Asking $4k.

Great news is it's the color I want and all the options. But the miles kind of scare me. Thoughts/opinions?
  • Options
    99solara99solara Member Posts: 51
    The miles should not be an issue if you can obtain maintenance records. My V6 is at 105k miles and purrs. I am the original owner so I know the history. Why were the seats and carpet replaced? Water damage? poor maintenance? Ask lots of questions and have the vehicle checked by a trusted mechanic. The Solara is a very reliable car if you take care of it. Good luck in your search.
  • Options
    mexjohnmexjohn Member Posts: 74
    edited May 2010
    Just found this post, and maybe you'll never even see it, but if the car has been maintained well, the miles should not be of great concern as you should likely be able to get another 50K out of it.

I have a 99 SLE V6 with 113,500 miles. For the first 11 years, I never did anything to it except replace an oxygen sensor and regular maintenance. Now I have just replaced AC as the clutch bearing was going bad and it was making a vibration noise. I also rebuilt the starter as it was beginning to require that I turn the key over several times before initiating. I also replaced the water pump and timing belt. The belt was due at 90K miles, but will likely go to 130,000 with no problems. That engine is non-interference type, so even if it broke it would damage the push rods.

These are things you can expect to go wrong after 11 years, so you need to know if they've been done on any car you want to buy. I had the alternator checked, and mechanic says it's probably good for another 25K- 50 K.

You need to know if the timing belt was changed and any other major repairs. The price seems about average from what I've seen advertised all over the net, however, I personally wouldn't pay more than $3500 with those miles, and then only if I knew the major things I mentioned have been done.

I just bought a new car, and my Solara will be going on sale soon, asking price $5250 OBO. These cars should go on and on with proper care, but one that hasn't had regular oil changes can get sludge that will block the oil passages. Toyota is supposed to replace the entire engine if this happens, but without records of proper oil changes, it may be difficult, so that's what you should consider also.
  • Options
    gordy10gordy10 Member Posts: 2
    I am considering buying a Solara convertible. I am wondering if anyone uses theirs to tow a boat with. I know the manual says not to tow but there is a hitch available in the aftermarket. Is anyone towing a boat with their Solara?
  • Options
    nowlennowlen Member Posts: 35
    I don't think I would use my convertible for towing my boat. Yes, you might be able to buy a hitch for the convertible, but recognize that the structural integrity of the ragtop is different just because the roof is not there to maintain the rigidity of the entire vehicle. The available hitch is designed for the hardtop Solara. I own an 08 Solara Convertible and I can assure you that it is not a rigid as one with a hardtop. There is definitely 'cowl shake' in the droptop that is not in my friend's hardtop. It's one thing to put a hitch mounted bike carrier on the back of the Solara but a totally different thing to drag a boat around. On top of that, there are other things to consider - I also have an 08 Highlander with the towing package. Heavier duty alternator and battery, transmission fluid cooler, larger radiator, and probably a few things I've forgotten. This option was never available for the Solara so you might be asking for trouble. Personally, IMHO I would never consider towing a boat with any Solara, and especially not a convertible.
  • Options
    billcarr1billcarr1 Member Posts: 1
    I am strongly considering purchasing a 1999 solara SLE V6. Are there any known problems that I should look out for? The asking price is 7995. The car has 57k and is being offered from a good dealership. Any help/feedback/comments would be appreciated......
  • Options
    DABurackDABurack Member Posts: 11
    I'm the very pleased owner of a Solara (2007) SLE 6-cyl., think it's the best car that I ever had, owned two previous Solara models, then dropped out of this forum when Toyota, to its everlasting shame, but understandably, dropped the Solara. :cry: I occassionally hear rumors about a new edition in 2010, then 2011. Does anyone have the latest info? I'm willing to take my current car to the limit, but would love the chance to get a new one some day.
  • Options
    topopttopopt Member Posts: 3
    I was recently at a Toyota dealer inquiring about buying a used Solara and the salesman told me the Solara would be replaced with a new Lexus model. A nice car of course, but may price some people out of the the car buying loop.
  • Options
    I am a new owner of a 2001 Solara convertible and love it! The previous owners were very conscientious with the cars care and it is in great shape. I, of course, especially love having the top down living in Southern California. I have only had the car a few days and on 3 out of 6 (?) times I have heard a loud noise when the top descends into the trunk space area. I finally witnessed it as I was careful to watch to see what the culprit was. It is coming from the rear window getting hung up on something. The top is about 90% closed and it is almost like the rear window does not have enough clearance and with the rest of the top coming down forces it to go under and a big POP/BANK occurs. Since this is glass and a mechanical force it concerns me. I realize I should take it to the dealer, however, I am a newbie at convertibles. Is it me? Any thoughts?
  • Options
    I tested the top by putting it down in stages and monitoring it. Seems the window is getting hung up on the lip separating the back seats and roof storage area. Maybe the cloth/window is adjusting as it descends? With careful monitoring I should be able to avoid this problem.
  • Options
    DABurackDABurack Member Posts: 11
    Thanks for the info. Not too encouraging. Back in the day, someone called the Solara, "the poor man's Lexus," which was pretty accurate.
  • Options
    roofie1024roofie1024 Member Posts: 11
    I purchased a new 2008 Solara SLE in May 2008. I have the $220 optional Blizzard White color paint job. It seems to be chipping much more than I would expect on a car with only 19,000 miles and much worse than my 1999 SLE. Anyone else having the same problems? The dealer is going to call when the "regional supervisor" is in town to check it out.(The chipping is limited to the front end, hood and bumper.)
  • Options
    pbesslerpbessler Member Posts: 8
    2008 Solara Convertible,

Does anyone know how to get access to the space below the parking brake? My wife dropped something of value to her and I cannot reach it by slipping my hand by the rubber gasket. Is there a way to get access?

Phil
  • Options
    ClairesClaires Member Posts: 1,222
    Phil, in addition to posting here, try asking your question in the "Ask the Community" box on the lower right-hand side of this page. You may get your answer in either place, but you'll double your odds of getting one.

ClaireS, Host
    Automotive News & Views | Coupes & Convertibles

Need help getting around? claires@edmunds.com - or send a private message by clicking on my name.

Tell everyone about your buying experience: Write a Dealer Review

• Options
    kaz333kaz333 Member Posts: 1
    I have the same model and color, purchased mine in Aug 08, and yes I have the same problem with the paint chipping .... did you ever get a resolve to your request of having the paint looked at by the regional super??? I'd love to know.

I have a prob with the rear screen defroster, doesn't work correctly, I have been to the dealership but they couldn't find a problem and basically told me it would only work to thaw ice not clear a misted window!!! (of course it was summer when i took it in) Anyone else have a defroster problem???
  • Options
    roofie1024roofie1024 Member Posts: 11
    kaz33,
    I did not hear from a dealer until January 2011. By that time I had traded the car in. Really left a bad taste in my mouth and probably will not purchase a Toyota again. Roofie
  • Options
    oviedo45oviedo45 Member Posts: 5
    i am considering a 2002 solara convertible ($6200 private owner, plan to offer $5500 as it's been for sale for months with no buyers) how can i be certain the car doesn't have a sludge issue? i just sold my beloved sienna (2000) for $1500 because of the engine dying (it had 102,000 miles on it and was perfect other than this problem - missed the sludge class action cuz it was running fine). You seem certain that the solara isn't a sludge engine, may i ask how you know? i may need ammunition for my husband's objections! thanks very much!
  • Options
    zaken1zaken1 Member Posts: 556
    edited October 2011
    You need to be aware that Camrys were made with a choice of 2 different engines; an inline 4 cylinder and a V-6. The post you responded to was about the 4 cylinder engine; which was changed to a different design in 2002. But very few Camry Solara convertibles were made with 4 cylinder engines; which was 2.4 liters in displacement and had the model number 2AZFE. Most of them have the V-6, which was 3.0 liters in displacement, and had the model number 1MZFE; this was the engine that most commonly became known for the sludge problem. If you continue considering this convertible; it would be important to find out which engine it has in it. The average resale price for a 2002 Solara SE convertible with a 4 cylinder motor is at least $7925, according to Edmunds used car listings. The average resale price for a 2002 Solara SLE convertible with a V-6 motor is at least $9216. So the car you're considering is priced quite low.

One way to see if the motor was sludging would be to remove the oil filler cap, and look at the underside of that cap. It should be clean and free of carbon deposits or gooey substances. It also may be telling to use a flashlight to look into the valve cover through the opening for the oil filer cap; and see whether the metal surfaces are clean; or are either carbonized or coated with gooey sludge. If either the oil filler cap or the inside of the valve cover show these kinds of deposits; the motor is sludged. In addition; I absolutely would not buy this or any other used car without having it first inspected and evaluated by a competent, experienced, honest professional mechanic; or a AAA diagnostic center or equivalent. The used car market is full of reconstructed wrecks, and sloppily repaired damaged vehicles. You are swimming in shark infested waters when you buy a used car. Take this advice, and you won't regret it.

Regarding your late Sienna; it is highly unusual for a Sienna engine to fail at just over 100,000 miles. It may be that this engine was still good; but just had a problem which was not understood. If you post the symptoms which led to the conclusion that the vehicle died; and also tell me who made that determination; I'd appreciate a chance to respond.
  • Options
    Thanks so much for posting - my Sienna just started "sputtering" in traffic - and the engine would die. I took it to master care and they said the engine was clogged up - and wanted $450 to clean it - i remembered that i had taken it to my toyota dealership for an oil change in 2004 and they kept it 3 days due to cleaning out the sludge. So i thought i would just take it back to my dealer and have them clean out the sludge again. They told me it was dead and needed replaced - so I hired a mechanic to look at it and he said the same thing. I work with an attorney who reviewed the class action lawsuit and because my van ran 2 years past the deadline, my engine was not eligible for replacement. I also consulted my dad and took pictures of it and I described the problems and he said that if i took the heads off i might be able to salvage it - well i am not a mechanic and neither is my husband so we gave up. My husband did not want to put any money into a 10 year old vehicle even though I wanted to. Not worth a fight. I should add my husband did the oil changes, and we didn't keep records. this was my fourth toyota and i had hoped it would last 20 years. Thank you again for any insight.
  • Options
    Thank you for the response. I accept the conclusion. Please re-read my first post; as I revised it since you first saw it.
  • Options
    thank you again for updating your response, i am nervous about buying a used car - have never bought one from a private owner - only dealers and my other 3 toyotas (celica gts, paseo and sienna) were all brand new. i can't afford new right now - and dealers are so expensive. I won't buy without a competent mechanic, the one i used to evaluate my sienna charged $100 for the evaluation and i thought that was more than fair considering the replacement cost of the engine. do you think it is generally safer to buy from a dealer? this seller has a carfax on the solara I am considering - is that even helpful? i really appreciate your responses.
  • Options
    Glad to contribute here. I actually prefer buying used cars from a private party. Dealers typically inflate their prices and are sometimes known to misrepresent the vehicles they sell; so I wouldn't give any credibility to claims they make about a car's condition.

The Carfax is nice to see; but I wound not take as a substitute for a mechanic's evaluation. Sometimes bad things can happen to a car since the last time it was serviced at a dealership. The $100 inspection fee is pretty standard for this sort of work.

Ask the mechanic to evaluate the color of the transmission fluid (which indicates the type of driving and maintenance a car has had) and similarly evaluate the condition of the coolant. Another way to get a sense of the engine's health is to remove several spark plugs and inspect them for excess carbon deposits or signs of oil consumption. A cylinder compression test would be even better for this purpose; but many mechanics would charge extra for this level of work. I would gladly pay extra if it was asked.

Please be aware that all too many mechanics just compare how even the compression pressure readings are in the cylinders, and pronounce the engine good if all the readings are similar. This is not a reliable way to evaluate a compression test: The vehicle manufacturer publishes a specification for the new and the minimum allowable compression pressure in this motor. The limits are different on different engine brands and models. Your mechanic should look up the specifications for the compression on this motor in a service manual BEFORE running a compression test. I have repeatedly seen mechanics pronounce a compression test result "good" when the numbers were actually below the minimum limit. I apologize in advance if he is offended by this request; but a truly knowledgeable mechanic will recognize the necessity of knowing the correct pressure specifications. The minimum allowable pressure should be somewhere between 150 and 170 psi; and the new pressure should be about 30 psi more than that. A really good motor should have close to new compression. The minimum limit is not a pressure I would like to have in a car I owned.
  • Options
    3.0L V6 EFI - is this a potential sludge engine? i am looking at a solara from a dealer - the private party isn't working very well - seems the car isn't available right now, etc.

it's a 2001 with 128,000 miles - you aren't in the orlando area by chance? if you are, I would love to hire you to check out my potential cars! Thanks
  • Options
    Gee, that offer sounds intriguing. Unfortunately, although I lived in Kissimmee for 4 years, while I taught at Motorcycle Mechanics Institute in Orlando; I now live all the way on the other side of the country. At today's gas prices; you probably wouldn't want to hire me.

The sludge issue on the Camry 3.0 liter engine began with the 2003 model year. At that time they redesigned the cylinder heads to use variable valve timing; and they also redesigned the coolant passages in the heads, so the engine would warm up faster, and thus produce fewer emissions during the warm up cycle. This revised coolant passage design turned out to produce hot spots in the heads; which cooked the oil that passed over those areas, and produced sludge. Some 2003 3.0 motors had variable valve timing; while some still used the older design cylinder heads, which did not have the revised coolant passages. But all Camrys from 2004 on were sludge prone.

So the 2001 model you're considering is unaffected by the sludge issue.
  • Options
    meegwellmeegwell Member Posts: 67
    Hi all,
    I have an `06 Solara Convertible. Been thinking a lot about whether to trade it in for something new or fix it up. Saw one all tricked out with XRS technology at a car show not long ago. Thought it was a cool idea.

So, am I nuts? Would rebuilding the engine, replacing the tranny and gearbox, rear end exhaust and suspension be a bad idea? Would it be, more expensive than buying something new that's made to be speedier?

I don't want to race, I just want a more enjoyable driving experience and I really love my Solara.

Please speak from experience and don't be shy.
    Thanks,
    Meegwell