Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!
Options

BMW 3-Series 2005 and earlier

Comments

• Options
    530ir1150r530ir1150r Member Posts: 263
    The BMW Dealer in Lexington charges an hour of labor to rotate and balance 4 tires. I know AAA can change a tire on the side of I-75 in 7 minutes. I hope the dealer uses hand tools. I have never heard an impact wrench.
  • Options
    kyfdxkyfdx Moderator Posts: 237,201
    Wow... that sucks...

From personal experience, every tire dealer, zone rep, etc, etc, etc.. will say that every bubble is caused by a road hazard, every time.....

So, I agree with shipo... just bite the bullet.. you are facing a losing battle, no matter what logic you have on your side, or whether we agree with you..

Either that, or you drove through the mother of all pot-holes.. ;)

Edmunds Price Checker
    Edmunds Lease Calculator
    Did you get a good deal? Be sure to come back and share!

Edmunds Moderator

• Options
    grantchstrgrantchstr Member Posts: 371
    One of the biggest rip-offs in the industry is the concept of dealers fixed number of labor hours for performed tasks. But if you use an independant mechanic do you void your warranty with a BMW? As a new owner I just read that BMW dealers are required. With one of my other cars this is not the case provided the mechanic is licensed and you have documentation of the service performed and parts used.
  • Options
    shiposhipo Member Posts: 9,148
    "As a new owner I just read that BMW dealers are required."

Uhhh, where did you read that? As far as I know, you can use an independent, that said, there should be no reason (other than to mount dustless brake pads) to use anyone other than the dealer during the "Free Maintenance" period.

Best Regards,
    Shipo
  • Options
    There is (or was, I have not heard of it changing) a Federal Law that required auto manufacturers to provide free any service or maintenance required to maintain a warranty. How BMW defines warranty and unapproved parts and services will be between BMW and the owner.
  • Options
    Being required to perform the service.. and giving you a timely appointment and a loaner car may be two different things..

I agree.. that most service departments don't care where you bought it.. But, if they want to be a pain in your..... they can be..

Sure, we have an opening at Noon on June 17th... Sorry, no loaner car is available.... Your car is undriveable? We are very sorry to hear that.. See you on the 17th!!

Edmunds Price Checker
    Edmunds Lease Calculator

Edmunds Moderator

• Options
    Sure, we have an opening at Noon on June 17th... Sorry, no loaner car is available.... Your car is undriveable? We are very sorry to hear that.. See you on the 17th!! OUCH

You mean BMW dealers dont have mobile service vehicles? I also have an S60 and - the Volvo dealer has a mobile service truck which one can request for a "house call" - not that that has been needed in four years.
  • Options
    Where I see this heading is sealed cars and only the dealer capable of working on them, on anything. Think of the razor blade model with a leased razor, or the opposite, an expensive razor with "free" razor blades.
  • Options
    Porsche Boxster... you have to put it on a lift to even see the engine...

But, the tool I have the best luck with is my checkbook.. I know my competencies... and working on cars isn't any of them...

Edmunds Price Checker
    Edmunds Lease Calculator

Edmunds Moderator

• Options
    ventureventure Member Posts: 2,882
    The UPS driver was standing in my garage about 10am and there are four tires and wheels here from TireRack.com. All mounted and balanced for "free".

They sure are pretty. :D

All for less than $1,000 delivered.

2020 Ascent Limited, 2024 Subaru Legacy Sport

• Options
    seqladyseqlady Member Posts: 59
    Offered the $30K and they came back with $30,800. So we went to $30,400 and it was accepted. We get the car next week - can't wait! Seems like a pretty good deal. Just a little concerned that it's RWD instead of 4WD. We're in the northeast so snowy days could pose a problem.
  • Options
    Good job!!

I have the sport package, which comes with summer only tires.. So, winter tires aren't an option... you have to get them...

Even with all-seasons, if you plan on driving this car every day, regardless of the weather, I suggest getting winter tires..

Many discussions about winter tires in this forum... just do a search..

The cost may be off-putting... but, remember.. every mile you put on your winter tires, is a mile you don't put on your stock tires.. So, the cost of the tires isn't absolute... there is some savings to offset that...

Good luck... and enjoy your new ride!

regards,
    kyfdx

Edmunds Price Checker
    Edmunds Lease Calculator

Edmunds Moderator

• Options
    carfreeccarfreec Member Posts: 1
    I am thinking of buying 2005 325xi in the philadelphia area. I have 2 questions:
    1. What is the best place to buy it and how much over invoice I should have to pay to get it? (after all it is an older model now)
    2. I am very concerned about the AWD and overall reliability. I don't want to spend time to get it repaired and pay for it all the time after first 50k miles either. How releiable is the AWD in this car along with other things?
    Any and all help will be much appreciated.
  • Options
    It may be an "older model" but I suspect you will find the 325xi is in short supply particularly at this time of the year - at least that is what the dealer said when I acquired mine a couple of months ago. So I didnt get the kind of deal the folks on here crow about, most of em arent the xi variant. I too will be interested in the AWD reliability point but I didnt read anything to put me off.
  • Options
    gordonwdgordonwd Member Posts: 337
    You make a good point about winter tires. They are really not an added expense since you are going to put the miles on one set of tire or the other. So your summer tires will last longer calendar-wise. The only additional expense is for the wheels, and that is not all that much money for a set of decent-looking wheels.
  • Options
    armandarmand Member Posts: 178
    I bought a 325 XiT about 3 weeks ago and got it for just a little above invoice. I don't believe really great deals are available on the xi's because the '06 won't have xi's either at all or not for some time. As far as reliability is concerned, the recently released J D Powers survey gives BMW very good marks. My personal experience is that in 3 weeks I have had the "air mass Meter" replaced and something is wrong with my radio (too much static) - not a great start.
  • Options
    beta23beta23 Member Posts: 15
    For a 325 with BLACK leather and Black exterior which interior trim is hotter? Aluminum or Wood? One word answers would be great. thanks
  • Options
    potemkinpotemkin Member Posts: 195
    Aluminum.
  • Options
    blueguydotcomblueguydotcom Member Posts: 6,249
    eom
  • Options
    Had a black 530i with the black leather, and the wood looked great. My vote is "Wood". ;-)

Best Regards,
    Shipo
  • Options
    I have black interior with wood.... It looks great..

That said, I like the aluminum better... especially on a 3-series..

Does this help? ;)

Edmunds Price Checker
    Edmunds Lease Calculator

Edmunds Moderator

• Options
    mark_325imark_325i Member Posts: 29
    gray plastic
  • Options
    I don't think so... The wood is real.. and I believe the aluminum trim is also metal... though maybe not 100% aluminum..

Either way, it is decorative, so I don't see how that matters..

Edmunds Price Checker
    Edmunds Lease Calculator

Edmunds Moderator

• Options
    It's probably not 100% aluminum, but it certainly isn't plastic. It feels like brushed metal.

And it looks fantastic with the black interior (though I'm sure the dark wood is equally appealing).
  • Options
    soverypoornowsoverypoornow Member Posts: 74
    In my '02 330i, it's silver plastic. Still like it better than the wood, though. Looks great with black interior, especially with the Nav.
  • Options
    thanks guys....its looking like aluminum
  • Options
    sedmundsedmund Member Posts: 93
    WOOD
  • Options
    Aluminum.

Whoops. Sorry... I already voted.

Nevermind.
  • Options
    hgeyerhgeyer Member Posts: 188
    May I offer two suggestions.

1. Check out this FAQ from the e46fanatics site.

http://www.e46fanatics.com/faq/faqs.php#accessories

2. Call Bavarian auto (you can get their number from their web site www.bavauto.com) and get a quote for the trim pieces. The parts aren't listed on the site, but when I broke a wood piece on my car, I called and their price was 20% less than my local dealer - after factoring in their BMWCCA discount.
  • Options
    THANKS......what about titanium?
  • Options
    xcharlesdxxcharlesdx Member Posts: 2
    The owners manual for my new 330xi indicates that in 'auto' mode, the ac should automatically turn on if needed. This does not seem to be the case. If I want ac, I need to turn it on myself. Anybody else notice this? Is this an error in the manual or is it something to see the dealer about? Thanks.
  • Options
    Hmmm, this is very odd. Prior to 2005 the manual is fairly specific, if you want A/C, you need to enable it with the "Snow Flake" button, however, in the 2005 manual "Auto" mode seems to indicate that the A/C system is enabled whenever the "Auto" button is lit. I wonder why the change to either the manual, or the operation of the car, or both.

Personally I would be very annoyed if I couldn't select "Auto ON" and "A/C OFF", thus enabling automatic vent selection but leaving the compressor off. So from my perspective, your car is working properly, even if the manual says otherwise.

Best Regards,
    Shipo
  • Options
    I have a new 2005 325xi and frankly have been baffled by the A/C controls - it hasnt bothered me so far as its spring weather. But apparently I am not the only one who cant figure out from the manual how the hell it functions. Does the 3250xi have the same A/C "logic" as the 330xi?
  • Options
    Okay, I've just read the "Automatic climate control" sections of the 2004 and 2005 E46 manuals as well as the 2006 E90 manual.

- In the 2004 version there seems to be no doubt, if you want the A/C compressor to engage, the "Snowflake" button must be lit.

- In the 2005 manual, it seems to indicate that if you want the compressor to engage, you can either force it on by depressing the "Snowflake" button so that it is lit, OR rely on the "Auto" mode to use the compressor as necessary.

- In the 2006 manual, depending upon how you read it, the functionality could go either way.

In spite of the fact that I've heard many BMW owners complain about the "less than full auto" functionality of the "Auto" button (meaning that it is only full auto when the Snowflake button is lit), I think BMW has stayed with what is essentially a "Compressor Enabled" button, as it should be. If it ain't lit, it ain't gonna turn. At least that's my guess until someone proves different. That said, and based upon what xcharlesdx wrote, I'm pretty sure that I got it right.

My curious nature being what it is, I'm going to ask some of the E90 owners over on their discussion, and see if they can confirm or refute my guess. I'll report back later. ;-)

Best Regards,
    Shipo
  • Options
    Basically, if you leave the compressor enabled (snowflake led lit), then you will get cooling when you need it, and heat when that is needed. The term "air conditioning" means just that -- conditioning, but not necessarily cooling. The system uses the A/C to remove humidity even in conditions where you would not actually want cold air coming out of the vents. In the dead of winter it is not going to actually engage the compressor, but in some other cool conditions it will use it to good effect. It certainly helps when trying to defog the windshield, regardless of the outside temp. So people are correct when they say that you will not have fully "auto" climate control unless you leave the compressor enabled. Again, think of this as an enabling button -- not a button to force the system to go into cooling mode.
  • Options
    Your post is certainly correct regarding cars of the 2004 vintage and prior, however, a quick read through the 2005 and later manuals seems to indicate that something has changed (certainly the manual has). The plot, she thickens. ;-)

Best Regards,
    Shipo
  • Options
    The 2005 A/C logic seems foggy to me..... :sick:
  • Options
    The more I think about this, the more I think that the manual is simply misleading. I mean, afterall, it simply does not make any sense for BMW to alter the programming of the HVAC system for the last year of production of the E46. With that in mind, were I in your shoes I would operate my car that same as I've operated my 328i and my 530i, which is to say, engage both the "Auto" button and the "Snowflake" button, and leave them on full time (unless you specifically want to defeat the compressor or change some other setting as conditions warrant).

Per the 2004 3-Series manual:

Automatic air distribution and supply
    The AUTO program adjusts the air distribution and the air supply for you and in addition adapts the temperature to external influences - summer, winter - to meet preferences you can specify.

The manual then has the following sections:

Individual air distribution
    Temperature
    Air supply/Blower
    To defrost windows and remove condensation

The next section says:

Air conditioning
    The air is cooled and dehumidified and - depending on the temperature setting - rewarmed. Depending on the weather, the windshield may fog over briefly when the engine is started. Air conditioning helps prevent the windows from fogging up.

Condensation forms during operation of the air conditioning system, which then exits under the vehicle. Traces of condensed water of this kind are thus normal.

I hope this helps.

Best Regards,
    Shipo
  • Options
    I also believe if you keep the snowflake lit all the time, you do not get the funky smell people have complained about.
  • Options
    Okay, I've just read a message from one of the new E90 owners that seems to confirm my take on how this is all supposed to work. According to his post, dl7265, "BMW 3-series 2006+" #2974, 24 May 2005 11:21 pm, "...you CAN turn off the snowflake and basically be on vent. Also oddly enough if you lower the temp all the way down to 60 it does NOT engage the compressor, without selecting the snowflake."

As I suspected, the "Snowflake" button has the ultimate control over the compressor. By engaging both the "Auto" and "Snowflake" button at the same time, then the Auto program is left to its own devices as to when to engage the compressor and when to turn it off. By turning off the "Snowflake", you remove the compressor from the "Auto" program and it is forced to make do with outside air, which more often than not up here in New Hamster is quite sufficient.

Best Regards,
    Shipo
  • Options
    Whatever the case, the climate control in my '04 certainly does not work as well as the system in my '98 A4 did. On the Audi, I really could just set the temp and forget it. I would set it to 68 in winter and 74 in the summer, and that worked quite well. OTOH, the BMW seems to do some strange things, especially with the fan control. Mainly, in the winter the fan often comes on high before the engine is warmed up, and I have to cut it down to keep it from blowing mostly cold air. And somehow the Audi also did well without having that thumbwheel on the center vent.

But now that I'm used to it, it doesn't bother me so much, so don't take this as a major complaint. The rest of the car is so perfect that it makes it hard to find a nit to pick ;) .
  • Options
    memphis10memphis10 Member Posts: 161
    I have a 2003 325i and the system is AC system is not that complicated. You have to have the snowflake lit to have the compressor engaged as Shipo said. Even when it is relatively cool outside, you may want the compressor to act as a dehumidifier especially if you live in the south. But the compressor drains power and affects acceleration and throttle response. Therefore, if I don't want cooling I don't activate the compressor (snowflake light off). The funny thing is that with the snowflake off and auto on, the fan goes full blast trying to cool the cabin. But that's tough to do with outside air and without the compressor.
  • Options
    "The funny thing is that with the snowflake off and auto on, the fan goes full blast trying to cool the cabin. But that's tough to do with outside air and without the compressor."

Yup, that's one reason why I like New Hamster. Even with the Sapphire Black/Black 530i, I rarely needed the compressor beyond June, July and August. Given how uncomfortable I get when I'm too warm, I'm thinking that if I was to ever have to move back down south, I'd have to forego getting another black car. :-(

Best Regards,
    Shipo
  • Options
    Hey how long do oem shocks usally last on 330is? I feel like my shocks are shot. Called BMW and they said it's $800 to replace them. Ouch!
  • Options
    Hmm... call around... I thought if they were really shot, they might be covered under the maintenance plan..

No real knowledge of that, though.. just running off at the keyboard..

Edmunds Price Checker
    Edmunds Lease Calculator

Edmunds Moderator

• Options
    While it's been years since I lost a shock or a strut, I've always thought that unless it was visibly leaking oil from the tube, it was still fully effective. Obviously the technology of struts has changed a lot since I blew both front struts out of my 1979 Scirocco, so maybe my litmus test is no longer valid. Be that as it may, my curiosity is tweaked, if you get a chance, check in the wheel wells and see if you can see any oil on the shocks or the strut towers.

Best Regards,
    Shipo
  • Options
    Nobody at the dealers know the answer. What the blazes? I got two responses of, "I'll check and get back to you."

Some on another board think my control arms/bushings might be shot. I know my back tires have about 5k miles left on them but that can't be the cause for the exceptionally rough ride and the car's sudden rolly-polly nature.

I shoulda handled this last weekend. I'm taking a trip around CA tomorrow and it just clicked in my head last night, "Something just isn't quite right."

I'll look for the oil (or rather beg a friend to look) on the strut towers/shocks.
  • Options
    xcharlesdxxcharlesdx Member Posts: 2
    Thanks for all the feedback. I think it's safe to say my hvac is working as designed, and for some reason they messed up the final manual for this version of the car.
  • Options
    Don't know about the 330is, but I still have the original shocks on my '95 318ti and they're still doing what they're supposed to be doing just fine.
  • Options
    Here's a little more input.

On my '05 325i the defroster/defogger button turns on the compressor and turns up the fan to max.

Upon starting the car, the "auto" light is on, but the "snowflake" is off (as well as the compressor, I guess). Pressing the "auto" again will cause the snowflake to light up (as well as run the compressor, I assume).

[BTW, I'm in the South and it's very warm outside.]

That's all folks.