Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

BMW 3-Series 2005 and earlier

Comments

• gurumikegurumike Posts: 442
    Sorry, thought I did that one. Yours is in 111 status, it's on order. If it's a May production car, it should be changing any day.
    Hope this helps!
    -Michael.
  • drcrdrcr Posts: 87
    Bavarian. Well said. I agree. The more IS300s, LSs, TLs, the better for the consumer. I liked the Christmas tree analogy.

FWIW, I looked at the Lex. Looked only. As I sat in it, I felt the need to blow some bubble gum and snap it. The car was just not made for me. I view the IS300 the same as I view the VW Bug and Prowler. Neat ideas but just couldn't see myself in one.

I looked and drove the TL type S, A4 and 325. The 325 is the best all around fit for me (value, performance, drive, style).

drcr
  • platypusplatypus Posts: 192
    Don't get me wrong. I like this board and will continue to post here when I can offer useful and informative insight.

But I guess we'll just have to agree to disagree concerning bimmer.org. I first started following that board back in 1997 when I purchased my Z3. (It started out as solely a Z3 board, then gradually grew to accomodate forums for various other bimmer models. A guy named Alan started the Z3 forum and he today remains the webmaster of the entire board.) We organized runs where enthusiasts would meet and drive their cars together on the back roads of, in my case, the SF Bay Area. Runs were being held all over the country. One member even organized the "Running of the Zs" in Cambria, CA (on Highway 1 near the Hearst Castle). She had sponsors and planned events such as wine-tasting and Hearst castle tours. It was pretty cool to have 50+ Z3s all parked at this little roadside motel off the PCH. Anyway, bimmer.org offered me a lot back then, so I've stuck with it.

Again, I won't argue with you that there is a lot of BS that has to be waded through. But continuing to frequent the board is what convinced me to do a Euro Delivery on my 330i this time around. I was compelled by reading all the posts from people who had just come back with stories of how wonderful their trips were. Given that I have the luxury of hindsight now, not doing ED would have been regretful.

Anyway, that's my $0.02, and I'm sure we'll continue to exchange information, be it here or there. Cheers!
  • brave1heartbrave1heart Posts: 2,698
    You are a wise man. I have a lot of respect for loyalty and I see your point. Your 330i purchase has been a great success story. BTW, I think the BMW Owners club here was thinking of a little get-together down in Texas-land - you may want to check it out if you haven't done so yet. Have a great weekend!
  • bgritzbgritz Posts: 139
    What sort of shipping does the buyer have to pay to have the car shipped back to the states if any?

My wife & I are planning to dump an older Jetta and move to a 3-series in the next year or so. We have also been toying with the idea of going to Europe for our 10 yr aniversary in two years.

We could always go early for the ca... uh I mean...anniversary! :-)

The pictures you posted make me wish I had married about 18 mos. earlier. Ha

thanks to all for the GREAT postings!!!!
    b.
  • platypusplatypus Posts: 192
    No shipping charges. They are covered by BMW as part of the ED program. BMW also covers insurance in Europe for 30 days, plus marine insurance while the car is crossing the Atlantic.

Do it - you won't regret it!
  • sandeckisandecki Posts: 29
    I just ordered it last week, so I don't think it is May production. I guess I will try to ask that question in few weeks. Patience would be nice, I wish I had it. I was tossing an idea of getting an A6 Quattro, but it's just not the same thing. I will wait. Thank You for your help.

Bartosz
    Some people may be wondering how BMW can give away their cars at a much lower price thru ED. Lower cost of doing biz that way is one important reason. The overriding reason, however, may even be good PR with Munich. See, every time people go to pick up the BMWs there, they support the local economy (accommodation, air fare, shopping, touring, whatever) and this is great PR for BMW. Manufacturers, banks, customers, and local governments are linked very closely in Germany and all this allows BMW not only to build brand loyalty but also to get concessions, special deals with local gov'ts, etc. Of course, being a consumer is a blast in this case - you just can't lose with ED!!! I really wanted to do it just like platypus but never got a good deal on ED and I had to settle for U.S. delivery. It seems like platypus' contact would be a lot of help if anyone is seriously considering it. I wish I'd known about it earlier.
  • killerkkillerk Posts: 55
    Hi, guys. I posted this question about a couple of months ago, but didn't get a response. So I'm trying again.

Is it true that BMW's rotors are softer than domestic models due to their higher performance? The mechanic said that unlike "hard" domestic rotors, which can be cut when the pads are replaced, BMWs need to be replaced when it's time for brake pad replacement.

I have a '99 323i and after replacing the front rotors about a couple of months ago, I just replaced the rear rotors today. Thanks in advance.
  • denrightdenright Posts: 285
    I have a few questions:

how is the 330xi suspension different from standard 3-series suspension and sport suspension?

I assume you've read all the references to the stiffer steering in 3 series cars built after April 1. Is this true of AWD as well as RWD cars?

My dealer initially told me that the car would be scheduled to be built during the last week of May or first week of June. I am now told that I am in week 25, which I believe to be the third week of June. When can I expect delivery at my dealership in Maryland in this case?

Finally, I placed my order on April 28, before the end of the 5.9% financing. Assuming my car is not delivered until July, will I still get that rate?

Thanks so much for all your help. You rock.
  • Gold101Gold101 Posts: 22
    Hello everyone, I'm new here. I own a 2002 Acura 3.2 TL Type S, and I love the car. Now, however, I'm in the market for a new car to replace my wife's GS 300(I hated the car..... Terrible handling)and I'm considering the 330, and giving her my Acura. I understand that the car now comes with the "old" steering and the sport suspension. So, my question is what does the Sport Package give you? Is it just the wheels and seats? Do the larger wheels really make the car handle better? Also, I've read that the clutch take up is a bit odd... Is it easy to get used to? Thanks in advance for any help!

Regards, Darryl
  • shiposhipo Posts: 9,152
    Descartes,

I have a 1999 328i with PP and no SP, meaning that I have the all season tires. We had a fairly robust winter here in north New Jersey this year, and where I live is more than just a little hilly.

I drove my car on all but 2 days and had very little problem motivating from point A to point B. One word of advice, DO NOT turn off the traction control unless you have a wide margin of error. I tried it going up our street (up is no figment of speech either) and the car instantly snapped into a spin. I was ready for it, even so, I barely caught it in time. Needless to say, this car is a blast in a snow covered empty parking lot.

Brave1heart,

A tip of the hat to ya, thanks for the kind words. It is my opinion that what we have here is a synergy. I know I get more information out of this forum than I put in, and I suspect that all who constructively participate feel the same. Then there is the entertainment value. Thank you for all of your thoughtful and constructive comments on this board.

Killerk,

How many miles do you have on your car?

While I have no basis for knowing the relative "hardness" of rotors produced by the various manufacturers, I find the statement that BMW rotors are "soft" to be highly suspect for a couple of reasons.

It seems to me that soft rotors would be more susceptible to generating "hot spots" (where heat generated by continuous braking causes a portion of the rotor to re-temper). A rotor with a hot spot will be VERY noticeable when pressing the brake pedal, you will get some serious rhythmic pulsing felt throughout the car and through the brake pedal itself.

When I worked for Mercedes-Benz, I learned that MB (and I think BMW) used softer brake pads for U.S. spec cars. This is because a) we do not have the high autobahn speeds here to contend with, and b) Americans complain about squealing brakes, Europeans do not. Even if BMW used soft rotors, it seems to me that the softer brake pads would compensate for the soft rotors. (I may be WAAAAY out on a limb here)

One final question, are you ABSOLUTELY certain you needed new brakes? Unfortunately, I have seen some very shady practices from dealer service departments, including BMW. My guess is that there are at least 50% odds that you got scammed.

Best Regards,
    Shipo
  • ds2k1ds2k1 Posts: 101
    ED - I seriously wanted to go the ED route, but since I'm leasing it was less attractive. If your lease payment was tolled while they ship it to you, and if I had an extra car for the 5-6 weeks it takes (is that right?) to get it here, I would have done it. If you're purchasing the car, I don't see how you can lose; unless you have absolutely no interest in going to Europe for free.

v_tech - wow, sounds like you really know your drugs. Wonder why that is? I doubt anyone here will take you up on your offer to "get into drugs" with you. Sounds like you've already been dipping a bit too much in the cookie jar already. And while I may think your postings are the wild, unsubstantiated rantings of a [non-permissible content removed] (are there any drugs you're aware of which help that particular malady?), I certainly don't begrudge you your opinion, however ridiculous I may think it is. In fact, I find this all pretty amusing. I just can't figure out why you like to spend so much time on this board with people who clearly dislike your attitude and couldn't possibly disagree with you any more. Do you not spend one single second wondering what that says about you? I don't get off on telling people that they are a bunch of fools for loving their cars, and certainly wouldn't go so far out of my way to do so, however, I don't think you should be censored if that's your bag. Unless you tear into a heated string of profanities, I think you should be allowed to spout whatever idiocy you'd like and I think the moderator should let things be. I agree 100% with denright, the eloquent and cavalier litigator. If people wish to ignore you, they may. In fact, I even encouraged that approach. Now, however, I seem to find it somewhat entertaining to poke fun at you since your relentless presence on this board seems to indicate that you somehow enjoy it. Go figure. Maybe I'll spend a little time pondering what that says about me.
    I can only speak about the 325i SP but it is very similar to the 330 (drove both). The SP gives you great seats, bigger, wider rims and performance tires, a 3-spoke steering wheel, and a firmer (yet comfortable) ride, which is supposed to be VERY close to the M3's. You get .85 g of uncompromising road grip. Yes, if your car went into production after 4/1, it would have the great old steering. Isn't it incredible that older is better? I call it tradition... The larger wheels and tires give you a more precise WYSIWYG (where you steer is where you go) steering so you don't have to correct your line in turns. No-one has complained about the firmer ride so far and I absolutely love the sports car feel. Shifting gears in this car is the best I've ever seen, although it's supposed to have one of the best autos too. The clutch is a bit more sensitive in first - it requires a bit more gas and it wants you to shift gears faster - the clutch doesn't like to hang in halfway there. It's a driver's car and it "encourages" you to be a better driver. I found it easy to get used to it but then again, I've been driving manual all my life and every time I sit in an auto, I don't know what to do w/ my left foot and I keep looking for the gear shifter :o) Great car, I hope you get it.
  • shiposhipo Posts: 9,152
    When driving an Auto equipped vehicle, did you ever pull away from a stoplight, go to shift and hit that FAT brake pedal with your left foot? How embarrassing. >:-(

Best Regards,
    Shipo
    Quite honestly, at this time I don't feel I can state, as fact, that the xi has the same calibration (we're doing the suspension now) as the i. I'd guess it might not be quite the same. The xi sits 1.4 inches higher and I would attribute this to different springs. All RWD automatically get sport calibration now (as of March production).

Yes, it will be a "new steering" car, they all are as of April prod (I know, I mis-stated that it was Feb prod a few days ago).

You should expect delivery last week of July/ first week of August.

5.9% financing. Do you recall doing a credit application when you ordered it? To still get 5.9% the dealer must have sent your application to BMW Finacial Services before the end on April. If not, well, it's now 6.5%.
    and since I have no feeling as to how heavy my left foot is on the brakes, it's really bad, almost comic. Pathetic as it is, I drive manuals better than auto and I can also claim, smoother too.
  • v_techv_tech Posts: 52
    all it comes down to is i took the wrong approach from the start i agree. then some guy who doesn't seem to be coming back for more, calls me a [non-permissible content removed] bag and that was it!!!!! i mean the gloves were off after that one but maybe i deserved it. afterall i brought all of you down to my level right? i am not going to play this silly game anymore my playstation fingers are sore.

tchoo- i agree with all that you said i think the IS300 has some issues. i am just here to stir it up but i am going to tone it down for sure.

denright- is that 38K before or after tax and licensing??? you left that part out. because if it is before it is 40K and maybe more in my book. right or wrong??

braveheart- 31.5K after or before tax and licensing? and my point is i have seen guys get fully loaded IS's for 32K and whether you like the car or not at least you can get the horses AND LOAD IT for the same price.

i honestly feel all you bmw owners should have the 225 horses in the 330i for a much more realistic price tag. if braveheart can get the 325i for 31.5K then why can't the 225 horses be available at just a measly 2K more because after all it is practically the same car. this is not the case though. we have evidence on this forum that some people are paying 35 to 38 for 325i's or xi's???? this to me is absurd nice ride or not.

again, one more time, if BMW had any morals they would stop playing this silly game with you all and offer just the 225 horses. afterall, if you want a 3 series being a sports enthusiast you should have the ultimate driving machine. if you want a scaled down version because you don't want the power i think you might as well buy a cheaper maxima. well then you will all say the handling is second to none. i say, for 33 to 38 you think that is worth it??? whether you can afford it or not is a whole new can of worms but i am talking common sense here. the IS300 with its new manual will be better for sure than any 325i in the same price range and i do know none of you will be persuaded. But the main point (i know i said it up there but i'll say it again) is at least the lexus sports enthusiast will be able to get EVERYTHING for basically the same price as that 325i.

but make no mistake i think the 330i is a terrific car in every way. it doesn't have as many issues as the lexus and it gets better gas mileage too. you will just be surprised that there a lot of people out there like me that refuse to pay upper 30's for this 176 inch car. i mean what is BMW putting in there that justifies this pricing approach??? laser guided weapons or james bond gadgets???

my good friend and i just drove a 2000 328i and it was nice but the both of us couldn't detect any real noticeable differences between it and the lexus. not 5-7K worth especially. and i will restate again that motor trend also felt the same way so i may be out in left field to you all but i am not alone.

anyway, i think this is it for me. it was a pleasure and i do apologize again for my aggressive approach. i have said what i have said and that is enough already. best wishes to you all and your fine cars. i have no desire to argue about the merits of the 330i especially because it is a fine machine. i would buy it pretty loaded for 34 to 35 AFTER tax.

vvti
    Beauty is in the eye of the beholder. If you can't tell a difference between the 328 and the Altezza, that's great for you - you've saved yourself some money and should finally loosen up a bit and feel happier - it's weekend time anyhow. If even after reading all these posts and esp. after driving a 328 you are not convinced, then you know what's good for you and you have nothing to prove to yourself or us. Enjoy your weekend.
  • patpat Posts: 10,421
    Folks, some posts not in adherence with the Town Hall Terms of Use have been removed.

I have followed your discussion about "censorship" and the value of opposing opinions, and I think some very valid points have been made.

However, posts must comply with all aspects of the TOU to which you all agreed when you joined Town Hall. The posts I have removed violated the requirement that you "agree to disagree in a civil manner should (you) take issue with the statements of another Town Hall participant..."

And I should also mention that profanity is expressly prohibited - this includes vaguely disguised profane words (i.e., "masked" profanity) - and is also a reason a post will need to be removed.

As long as everyone remains respectful and otherwise within the user agreement, there will be no need for your hosts to intervene.

Thanks.

Pat
    Host
    Sedans and Women's Auto Center Message Boards
    Welcome to the BMW board, my friend. May the civility ensue. And by the way, I agree that BMWs are expensive for their class. I just happen to think they're also worth it and was willing to pay the premium to drive it. I also happen to be one of the few who thinks the IS300 is a pretty nice looking car, although I don't care much for the interior. I think you have a fine ride, I'm sure it handles quite nicely, it sure is plenty fast, and you'll no doubt derive as much pleasure from it as we bimmer owners will derive from ours. You are, however, on a BMW board - you don't actually expect us to say, "You know what, you're right. I got jipped and I need to go out and get me an IS300", do you? I'm sure you don't. But again, I welcome you spending as much time enlightening us, if you think it's worth your time. Perhaps you should be likened to a missionary out doing the Lord's work, no?
  • alpine325ialpine325i Posts: 209
    V-tech, I just read your last post. You sound like a nice guy now that you've calmed down. I apologize if I was way harsh with you earlier. Don't start none, won't be none. Have a good weekend :o)
    Anyone else feel like one?

Have a great weekend everyone.
  • v_techv_tech Posts: 52
    this civility is working for me. i have no doubt learned a lot here and i thank you all for the free education. i will no doubt drive my friends new 330i because i am excited for him. the price is wrong for me but so what?? the problem with my using him as an example is that hawaii has such inflated car prices to start with because we are on a rock i presume. i don't know the reasons for sure but his car will definitely be 40K after everything. i admit it is a fine car worth the price to many of you. my points are decent but worthless in a sense i do realize that. again, best wishes to all of you and your bimmers. they are indeed fine machines worthy of many accolades. the 328i has great torque, great responsiveness, great acceleration, great ride, you name it there is no doubt. i do like the looks of the new bmw's too i just want the 225 horses for 34 to 35K after tax. but the IS will do for now.

but for sure this is it for me no more troll action. don't miss me too much.

oh wait, if any of you haven't been to hawaii you should write to wailea because i tell you maui has one of the best resorts in the islands and it is called the Grand Wailea. you can trust me on this one. you will not be disappointed. so ask wailea about the merits of maui (i think he or she is from there).

aloha and mahalo

vvti
  • denrightdenright Posts: 285
    Thanks, Mike. You are a gentleman and a scholar.

V-Tech - I anticipate that my 330xi will come to about $41K including tax and tags. Again, this is based on a purchase price of $38,475. I have calculated that if I put down $15K including my trade in, I will have payments of under $500 per month. Not bad at all.

Have a great weekend everyone.
  • postoakpostoak Posts: 537
    First, let me state that I have been flying under false colors (a bit) here because:

1) I am still in the product resolution stage of buying a car -- I haven't yet decided on a Bimmer, although it is the leading contender.

2) If I buy a Bimmer, I will certainly do the Euro Delivery as I have already made plans to spend 3 weeks in Germany, but it will be NEXT summer, not this one. I had planned on renting a car for most of the 3 weeks so THAT expense could be credibly subtracted from the price of the BMW, giving it a price advantage over the other vehicles I've been considering.

Platypus - Wow!!! I definitely want the name of your salesman!! You've just told me I can get a 330i for about what I had planned on spending for a 325i!! (Now I just have to decide whether to stay with the 325 at lesser price or go with the 330. How did you get these European invoice prices?)

Braveheart1 - you and I are in agreement about bimmer.org, although I object to the old technology (I mean, what's with anybody NOT running a forum with UBB/INFOPOP these days) about as much as the mostly useless content. That said, I guess I am going to have to start hanging out there more since Platypus got so well educated over there.
    Just an example of how very affordable a 330i can be (and yes, I'm back on a base model car with CD player), a two year lease (yes, two not five!!) with 10k miles. $2000 total down payment (I'm sure it work work in any state) $500. I wonder what Altezza owners pay? A guy at work (in the detail dept - really !!) just swapped his 99 Accord for a 2001 Altezza and when I told him the 330i was less (he never bothered to ask, thinking it would be too high!) he was GUTTED !!!
    Free service the whole time you got it and in two years, choose a new color/spec and do it again!!