Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

BMW 3-Series 2005 and earlier

Comments

• wam325iwam325i Member Posts: 4
    If you have a 2001 E46 3 series, you CAN have the car memory programmed to flash the indicators once upon locking, twice upon unlocking WITHOUT an alarm.

To get the audible signal, you need the alarm.

I believe this is possible for the 2000 models too, not the 1999's, at least not without error codes.
  • alpine325ialpine325i Member Posts: 209
    I use Amoco 93 or Sunoco 94, The car feels a little quicker with a better response from the gas pedal compared to the 87 junk. Question for everybody: How much are you paying for a gallon of gas in your local area? I'm paying $1.88 for Amoco's 93 Ultimate in Swarthmore Pennsylvania. :o) (I know, I'm just bored)
  • gurumikegurumike Member Posts: 442
    ...on my way home from Santa Paula. In Ventura, traditionally cheaper than Santa Barbara, I filled up at $2.34/gal for Chevron 92 Premium.
  • parumpparump Member Posts: 65
    Gurumike,

Thank you very much for the response regarding the "new - new" retrofit steering modification. I have read of some E46's manufactured in April without the "new - new" steering. According to BMWNA, the "new - new" steering was implemented sometime during the month of April, not specifically 4/1/01. Consequently, retrofiting is being offered for April production dates too.

Do you have any information?

Thanks in advance.

Tip of the day: gasoline detergents do make a difference.
  • frank69mfrank69m Member Posts: 63
    Has anyone seen the new 5 series. This is the ugliest BMW I have ever seen from the back...

Man, I've always seen BMW as clean sleek styling, but this one takes the cake for ugliest BMW ever....

--M3 Frank

• shiposhipo Member Posts: 9,148
    I just filled on Monday at the local Mobil station, paid $1.86 for Premium (93).

Best Regards,
    Shipo
    We saw these pictures a week or two ago, and NOBODY liked them. I decided that I would have to hang on to my 328i until the new M6 comes out, that one looked very good. ;-)

Best Regards,
    Shipo
  • lewparker1lewparker1 Member Posts: 21
    Didn't gurumike say that these pictures were bogus?
  • burrsrburrsr Member Posts: 255
    I'll have to agree with the other 3 posts regarding your lease deal's terms: you should be able to get a 330i that's stickered for about 10 G's more than the 325i you spec'd for the same or less monthly payments. If you have money to put down, inquire about the multiple security deposit optoin. It can reduce your MF by about 0.001 per sec deposit. BTW, all BMWFS leases have GAP insurance.
  • brave1heartbrave1heart Member Posts: 2,698
    Yes, someone said that these 5 pictures were 2006 prototypes and something along the lines of BMW engineers looking to have some fun too.

I filled up yesterday at about $1.88 for 93 at Sunoco. It had gone up to $1.99 about 10 days ago but now it dropped a little. I drive 24K miles a year but I don't care much if it goes up to over 2 bucks a gallon - it's still very cheap compared to the rest of the world and the pressure will be mostly on the gas guzzlers anyhow. Maybe that driver who almost tipped over his Jeep last night will be pushing his truck instead to save on gas. Well, what about gas detergents, parump? I've never used any, are they worth it?

Shipo, any new stories from this morning that you can add to your already extensive collection of memorable life experiences? That Boxster wasn't waiting at the EZ pass for a rematch? :o)
  • aaa330iaaa330i Member Posts: 63
    ...but then don't care when politicians raise taxes.
  • twoof1twoof1 Member Posts: 308
    First of all let me say that I love the way my Z3 drives. It was a 3rd car and my mid-life crisis toy LOL. My main commuter car was a 1998 Mitsu Diamante which I sold last weekend. Having said that, it is the most impractical car I have ever owned. If I was doing nothing but driving mountain or open country roads I would not get rid of it. The reality is that I work as a salesman in southern California and my car is my office for 3-4 hrs. a day. I am on the freeways alot. Rowing my own gears in traffic while working the cell phone is a drag. (remember cell phones don't kill, only bad drivers do!). The 325 will fit perfectly as a solid commuter car yet still give me the "Fun Factor" I need. The last straw was a couple of weeks ago when I watched a guy in a Miata get cut off by a semi. He lost it and rolled a couple of times down an embankment. This guy was obviously not paying attention and could have easily got out of the situation. Bottom line is I was first on scene, and there was not much of his head left. Last straw, nuff said.
    My Z3 has Dinan Intake, Stg. 2 software, Exhaust and Strut brace. The Z3 stock intake is pretty well optimized and I would not do that upgrade alone. However I would recommend the upgrades if you are going to do all 3 "The Triad". With the intake, exhaust and software, the car breethes much better on both ends, has much better throttle response, more torque, higher rev limit and no fuel cut off. This is based on my highly scientific "Butt dyno". Dinan is not the cheapest but imho it is the best. Also I had mine installed at a local BMW dealer so the potential for any warranty implications are minimal. I will drive my 325 awhile and see how it pulls in the everyday world. I may go with the Dinan upgrades on it. We will see.
    aaa330i - I know, it's funny. You mean raising taxes on energy in particular or in general? I am actually the other way round - I don't care much about gas prices but I do care about politicians raising taxes in general. This would be because the gas is a small percentage of our annual budget while income taxes make a huge difference for us. I like to focus on the big-ticket items and not worry about small expenses like gas. As far as politics in general, most people seem to be fiscally conservative and socially liberal - it's a shame neither political party combines these views.
  • tchootchoo Member Posts: 93
    I just called BMWNA to check the status of my order. According to them, my car went to status 150 on 5/23 and is scheduled for completion on 6/8. Does it normally take 2.5 weeks to assemble a car? I don't know nuts about automotive assembly, but it would seem that 13 working days to slap a car together is kinda long.

Deepdarkblu, our cars are similar models (325Ci's) and are about in the same schedule regarding order dates, status changes etc., have you checked the status of yours?
    "The 325 will fit perfectly as a solid commuter car yet still give me the "Fun Factor" I need" - very well put and I couldn't agree more!!!

It's good to see that you were very happy with the Dinan triad mods. I think chances of me doing that just notched up. Any regrets, though - louder exhaust, hissing sound, anything? I am budgeting $1,000 for the CAI and Stage 2 but haven't been able to price the freeflow exhaust. Do you remember how much that was?
  • drcrdrcr Member Posts: 87
    I've been, and still am on vacation in NY and decided to open the computer and catch up. WOW all the posts!! Love the discussion of the fuel grades.

FYI: Dedcution for interest on student loan gets phased out as income level rises ~ $50k. Most here are probably beyond that.

Checked my messages at home and there was one from the dealer. My car was ready for pickup on 5/29. I was surprised b/c it's ship arrived on 5/23 (<- my birthday, how appropriate). That means it got to SC and then to the dealer (Atlanta) in 6 days!! My production week was 18. Any more out there?

Well, my car is here (Atlanta) and I'm there (vacation NY). I'm not going to be home until 6/3. I never thought I'd look forward to vacation ending?!

DRCR (slv/grey/sport/roof/5spd/wood)
  • tcn2ktcn2k Member Posts: 277
    Same shoe as you, i won't be able to pick up my car till 6/4!
    And then maybe drive back...quicken the break in period.
  • thedeepdarkbluthedeepdarkblu Member Posts: 106
    Mine is being built in Regensberg, and though I'm not exactly sure when it went into 150 status, it should be completed by next week--this info is from gurumike. Do you have the BMWNA phone number.
  • trejos28trejos28 Member Posts: 93
    Yeah..even though I'm new to leasing the quotes seemed a bit high. Waiting for a return phone call. Something doesn't seem right. I'll keep you up to date.

Thanks very much for your help.
  • brislance1brislance1 Member Posts: 87
    I have been told that if you disconnect your battery the radio goes into an anti-theft mode and it has to be re-programed when you connect the battery again. I called two dealers and they confirmed this, telling me I should have a code card attached to my radio manual. I have a 00 323 and find no such card anywhere in the materials given me when the car was purchased. Do all of you have this card? I may have to store the car for several months and would like to know more about this. Would appreciate hearing from someone who has experienced this coding process. Thanks.
  • tchootchoo Member Posts: 93
    I called BMWNA at 800-831-1117 and gave them my production #. I ordered in mid April and it went into status 150 on 5/23. The reason I'm concerned is that if its delayed I might miss the end June cut off for the 5.9% financing. According to the shipping schedules at www.wlna.com the last ship heading to NY/NJ for the month of June is 6/6. Guess I won't make it.
  • jhdevoyjhdevoy Member Posts: 33
    My CD player skips with every bump I take. Should I take it in or is it just a function of the lower profile tires and tight suspension?
    jhdevoy - The tires in my 325i SP are even lower profile (ratio of 45 vs. 50 in the 330xi SP) but the CD player has never skipped once. Not sure if you have the CD changer or just the regular in-dash CD. Mine is in-dash. One last thing you can do is check your tire pressure and make sure it is within reasonable limits (I think somewhere in the high 30's for the 330xi) but it is unlikely it would be due to that so you'll probably have to take it in.
    Brave1heart,

No stories today, I am working from home. ;-) FWIW, I do have a few other entertaining stories somewhat on topic that might be good for a slow day.

Brislance1,

Back when I worked for MB-USA, I wrote their customer service system and one of the most common calls that came into the center was about the radio code. MB keeps a complete log of all radio codes for all cars including any replacement radios installed by a dealership. I suspect that BMW does the same, give them a call.

Jhdevoy,

I live in the NYC area and we have very bad roads and I have had my CD player skip only one time (that I remember) in the last 2.5 years. Get yours fixed.

Best Regards,
    Shipo
    No regrets!!
    The CAI adds a nice throaty note under hard acceleration. The drawback is it does make a slight metallic sort of whine at partial throttle. Bear in mind this is a soft top roadster so I don't know how much you would here inside a 325. The exhaust is actualy pretty quiet. At idle and partial throttle, I don't notice much if any difference from the stock exhaust. Under hard throttle it does make a nice rumble. Quieter than a Remus or Supersprint option. Dinan exhaust was $799.00 parts, approx. $115.00 labor.
  • rmk17rmk17 Member Posts: 16
    What was the residual and money factor on your 36/15K lease on the 330i? Again, I've been reading this board for a while and love the opinions. This board has almost convinced me to purchase a 3'er this summer to replace my '98 Nissan! I'm going to go and do some test drives either this weekend or next.

Braveheart -- I assume you're at work during the day, which is amazing to me! I can barely do my job and keep up reading this board, let alone post anything!
    I would not mind the rumble under full throttle - I actually prefer to hear it well so I have a better idea of what the car is doing w/o looking at the tach.
    $915 bucks, though? Hmmm, I don't think I want to spend two grand on the Dinan triad - it actually makes an even stronger case for getting the 330. Would you say that the torque and overall acceleration was improved by more than what the more HP gain would suggest? I don't know, I can justify $1,000 for the CAI and Stage 2 but another grand for an exhaust just doesn't sound right. I guess I need to figure out what it would cost me to replace the stock exhaust and when it needs to be replaced and find out the incremental difference between the two. But just going and dropping a grand on an exhaust w/o salvaging the brand-new one in my car? Hmmm...I hope some Z28 or one of those muscle cars whips my [non-permissible content removed] soon so I'll say enough, I'm getting it. It hasn't happened yet although a few have tried it.
  • ccchen1102ccchen1102 Member Posts: 30
    Sounds like a problem in CD player, the CD player for Autos usually has damping
    machanism and memory buffer to deal with road bumps, your player could have
    problem on these, memory buffer is more likely the guilty one.

-John
  • jasonkureejiijasonkureejii Member Posts: 210
    I just called up BMWNA and they told me the that it is being manufactured in Regensberg, Germany. I think the VIN taken from the Owner's Circle (the BMWNA rep called it an e-VIN) is maybe a bit different from the normal VIN on the car....
    I have a lot of flexibility in my job and the quality of my work has not suffered a bit. However, I've started catching up on office work at home and even on two rare weekends to make up for the time I spend on the board. It's a tradeoff but I'm really enjoying the board and it's a price I'm willing to pay. In my business you get judged on what you can get done and how well you do it, not what you do by the minute during regular business hours. We are all mature adults and can bear responsibility for ourselves :o)
    Whew! Was is still in 150?
  • blaketagblaketag Member Posts: 24
    Logged on to Owner's Circle today and noticed that the status of my ordered 330i (Steel Gray w/ Black 'ette and SP, CD, STEP, Xenons, Heated Seats, Sunroof) had changed to "Scheduled for Production". My Production # had also been updated to an actual VIN #. Called BMW NA and found that my car is scheduled to begin construction on 6/8 (Week 23). I was originally scheduled for Week 25 when I placed the order on 5/22. I assume I'm status 112 at present, as I forgot to get the status code when I was on the phone with BMW NA. I'm REALLY impressed with the BMW ordering process so far! I love how you can track the status of the car so closely. After driving Hondas/Acuras for the last 15 years, this is a pleasant change! Hope I can take delivery before 7/20 when my approval on the current 330i lease rates expires. If it looks like it will be tight I plan to re-apply at the end of June. The wait is killing me!

Tom
  • rmk17rmk17 Member Posts: 16
    Couldn't agree more. I think I read before that you're in software, as am I. Since I began reading this board, my productivity hasn't fallen off, it's just been getting harder to maintain a high level!
    Do any other manufacturers even offer anything like this? Audi and VW certainly don't. As a matter of fact, it's almost too good and it allows you to worry about the car on daily basis :o)
  • arojeckiarojecki Member Posts: 4
    Does anyone have any opinions about the difference between the two models? Is the $4,000 premium for the 330 worth it?

Also, I'm thinking about ordering the WAD package because of BMW's reputation for poor traction in snow. Should that make a difference for engine choice?

Thanks very much.
  • arojeckiarojecki Member Posts: 4
    That should be AWD, not WAD.
    I called BMWNA (thx for the #). The rep told me that it went into 150 on May 23rd and will be finished on or before June 8th. Two weeks in production? Que pasa, man? Anyway, she also said that the transportation overseas takes anywhere from 2-3 weeks. I had hoped to receive my 325 by July 4th or so (according to the dealer), but it may end up being longer.
    No, none of us has opinions about the difference between the two models :o)

I'd get AWD only if I did a lot of snow/ice driving. The 330 is a more powerful car - it's up to you whether you want to spend 4-5 grand extra on otherwise near-identical cars. It wasn't worth it for me but it is well worth it for a lot of other people. If I absolutely had to go with AWD, I'd get the 330xi, as the 325xi would be too slow for my taste. However, the 325 RWD offers plenty of fun and acceleration when equipped with a manual.

PS: You can correct you messages for up to 30 min after originally posting them by hitting the Edit button next to your message.
  • jasonkureejiijasonkureejii Member Posts: 210
    I think it is still in 152 status, paint shop, until the 8th...where it will be production complete.....
  • denrightdenright Member Posts: 285
    The 330 v. 325 issue is a bit of a sore spot around here. That said, here's my take.

After you get them comparably equiped, the 330 is about $4K or so more. For that price, you go from 184 HP and I think 170 ft/lb of torque to 225 HP and 214 ft/lb of torque. A few more things are standard (including the premium sound system) and you get a couple bells and whistles, but the core difference is the bigger more powerful engine.

I knew all along I was going to order an "xi" AWD model. It was either going to be a 325xi or a 330xi.

I drove a 325xi and I was frankly unimpressed with the acceleration. The handling was great, as you would expect, but it just didn't have the "oomph" off the line I wanted. The AWD system seemed to tax the smaller engine a bit.

The 330xi is significantly, perhaps even dramatically faster than the 325xi, and it felt much zippier. Because I am buying this car for performance as much as luxury and style, I felt it was worth the extra cash for the extra zip.

I think it all comes down to how important it is to you to be able to get off the line quickly. For me, driving in urban traffic and zipping in and out of lanes as much as I do, it is important enough to warrant a few grand extra.
  • erricksonerrickson Member Posts: 130
    I wouldn't lose all hope just yet, my friend. My ship departed Bremerhaven on May 18, and arrived in Charleston today (13 days!)

Assuming the planets align correctly, I would say it is not totally out of the question for you to see it the 1st week of July (imho)!
    Believe it or not, I can't argue with anything you said about 325 vs. 330. Except the torque on the 325 is 175 but yeah, minor difference. OK, 4 grand differences it is, I yield this time. When I did the numbers for myself, the difference was over 5 grand but that's because I really didn't want some stuff that came as standard on the 330 and to me, it was worthless. Case in points: electric chairs, hmmm, I mean power seats. Those were about $900 and since I don't want them, I think I didn't subtract that amount from the total difference. They are standard on the 330, right? So you can put it this way: 4 grand difference for the engine on paper. In reality, 5 grand difference for the engine and power seats, other things equal. Sound 'bout right?
  • erricksonerrickson Member Posts: 130
    I just checked the www.wlna.com website, and did a search for all the vessels heading from Bremerhaven to Charleston (VPC). I counted at least 6 ships that are currently scheduled to arrive in Charleston before the end of June! I suppose the operative word in there is "scheduled", but nonetheless, I think you may see you may still get your 5.9% !!!
  • denrightdenright Member Posts: 285
    While Braveheart voiced doubt about the need for AWD unless you "do a lot of snow/ice driving," I must disagree. In fact, Braveheart lives in Boston and he went RWD, so he's a FAR heartier soul than am I.

I live in DC, and we get maybe 20 inches of snow a year, and a few ice storms on top of that. That was more than enough to make me get the AWD. RWD cars are notoriously bad in inclement weather, and I don't care what they say about Dynamic Traction Control, the problem persists even in modern cars. Check out this article and you'll see what I mean:

http://www.aacbg.com/firstlook/textreviews/2001330if.htm

The Dinan web site lists the power increase for the Z3 2.3 with the CAI, Software & Exhaust triad as +16hp @ 6,500 RPM & +16lb/ft torque @ 4,000 RPM. I agree that the Dinan exhaust is pretty pricey, however it is made from Stainless steel. You could probably achieve similiar results with some other brand of aftermarket high flow exhaust. IF the new Dinan gear for the 325 has about the same increase it would bring it up to 200hp & 191ft/lb torque. The difference for me on a comparably equipped 330 would have been approx. $5,000.00. Price per hp difference VS the 325 is $122.00. The Dinan upgrade price per hp is $125.00. It's not how I rationalize an upgrade but I thought it interesting.
    BTW if your looking to beat a Z28 (at least in a straight line!) you bought the wrong car!!
    How can I say this? How 'bout "I'M LOSING MY MIND!!" Seriously, though, when I placed my order at the end of April, there were no cars that were slated for production that could be modified to my specs. My salesperson said that I'd have to wait until July to get the car. I thought, "Hey, no biggie. I can wait." I'm going out of my gourd now, waiting for Lena (my already named 325Ci--okay, so I'm an idiot). To boot, my Accord is in the shop for transmission repairs, so I'm forced to drive my friend's Mazda Protege. I don't want to sound like a car snob, but I feel like I'm driving a go-kart. I don't even like to wear sunglasses while I'm driving the Mazda b/c it feels like it's the same as wearing a leather jacket while riding a bicycle. Sheesh, I need help.
    I just went to the BMWUSA.COM site and built a 330i and a 325i in a fairly apples to apples comparison (according to my tastes) and came up with a difference of $3,675.00. Add in the lower money factor if you are leasing, and the difference gets even less.

RWD vs AWD: In my case, I grew up in Michigan with rear wheel cars and felt that I could deal with a RWD car here in NJ. I have driven my 328i through the better part of three winters and no regrets.

Power Seats vs Manual Seats: I valet park once or twice a week and I drive a manual transmission. Over the years I have had both power and manual seats on various cars. Prior to my 328i, I had a narrow preference for the power seats. Why? My previous car is a good example; in my 1995 Passat GLX 5-Speed, I found that one seat notch was a little too far forward and the next one was a little too far back. When I set a seat position on a car with a manual transmission, is set it so that the clutch is just right for my left leg, all other considerations are secondary to that. For me, I cannot work the clutch smoothly unless the seat is exactly where my left leg wants it (some have told me that this is a character flaw, so be it ;-)). Power seats allow very precise fine tuning of the seat position, hence my preference for them over manual seats. That brings me to the E46. When you get said position dialed in, you can save it. When the *EVIL* parking lot attendant brings your car back with the drivers seat all of the way back to the stops and all of the way down to the floor, you just hit the button and Presto-Chango, you have your seating position back to where you want it. For my money, the memory seats are why I now feel I NEED power/memory seats in any car I buy from here on out.

Best Regards,
    Shipo
  • alpine325ialpine325i Member Posts: 209
    I can't believe the price of a performance muffler for a BMW. I paid $145 for each Flowmaster muffler that I bolted on my Corvette. That's $290 for TWO high performance mufflers! The muffler makes a big difference, but a 325i or a 330i even with the triad mod is in no way going to come close to those 325HP LS1 motors that are in the Camaro SS or the Trans Am WS6. I like both of those muscle cars, BUT, I am so happy that my 325i will NOT become a rattle trap or lose half of it's value in a short time. Those 2 cars have nice big motors, but I still refer to them as SQUEAKS, CREAKS, AND LEAKS! :o)