Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

BMW 3-Series 2005 and earlier

Comments

• trejos28trejos28 Member Posts: 93
    Another level passed this morning! Didn't I read somewhere that bmwusa.com is about 7-10 days behind the actual status of the car?? Thanks, and hope everyone had a nice weekend.
  • thedeepdarkbluthedeepdarkblu Member Posts: 106
  • jk26jk26 Member Posts: 27
    I think that BMW had the perfect 3er with the 01, it is the best in every way compared to any other on the market. I feel the same way about the 02 with the only exception being cosmetic. That said, I just graduated and am 115k in debt and was stretching to buy this years model which I personally loved. I think the new headlights and front end on the 02 make it look like a Saab to some degree. Given my school debt I am just thinking that my money may be better spent at this point to pay down a quarter of my loan until they come out with a new body style that I absolutely love. I'm just venting b/c I would rather have an 01 vs an 02, that's all! Eventually I will own the ultimate driving machine :)
  • aaron330iaaron330i Member Posts: 136
    I can't keep my mind on the job. Sometimes I wish I had a mindless job, but nooooo! :)
  • raybearraybear Member Posts: 1,795
    Aaron, if you had a mindless job we'd be seeing you on the Daewoo forum.
    Hah! Guess you're right.
  • gggphdgggphd Member Posts: 3
    I recently purchased a '96 318i and love it so far. I have one problem, however. There is a squeak / squeal coming from drivers side door frame between front and rear doors as I go over a bump, etc. Saleman at dealership says it's in door seals and to lubricate them with silicone spray. I've tried that and it still makes noise. Any other suggestions?
  • erricksonerrickson Member Posts: 130
    goes through your mind every time you hit the 'post my message' button???? Do you
    really think we are that clueless???

I will tell you what goes through my mind whenever I see your message, "Out of 100 million sperm, you were the fastest???"
  • mmcbride1mmcbride1 Member Posts: 861
    Will you PLEASE stop spamming all of the BMW related topics with that quote?

You have yet to show a source for it, too...
  • patpat Member Posts: 10,421
    I just asked aculex to quit - I'll remove them from here on out.

Pat
    Host
    Sedans and Women's Auto Center Message Boards
  • dundedunde Member Posts: 32
    my car averaged 28.22 mpg on highway. i was kinna surprised that it was more than what they claim which is 27 mpg. but i have no complaints with that ... :o). however i m having a hard time to go by the speed limit. before i can even realize i m already 20 over the limit. i have to take care of that myself.

1) well i have a i guess a silly question to ask. what is break-in technically and what does it have to do with 1200 miles ? what if i go over 4500 rpm when i have 1199 miles ? is this 1200 figure stored internally by some processor(chip)?

2) at the moment i have 500 miles on my car so before break-in period is it advisable to do long distance driving. i have to drive down to WV (550 miles) coming week end. so i m not sure if i should drive my honda instead if i should not be doing too much long distance driving before i hit 1200 miles. Can any of the car gurus advice me on this ?

Thank You
  • smarties139smarties139 Member Posts: 4
    I am considering to purchase a 325xi and trying to get a premium quote from a insurance company. They couldn't give me an exact quote since this model isn't on their list. The good thing is that any VIN for 325xi would do the trick. Would somebody please give me a 325xi VIN so I could save a trip to the dealer? Thanks in advance. My e-mail @: smarties139@hotmail.com
    do you have the pp? the tilting mirror is available only with the PP. I have the SP, and my salesperson started to tell me about that feature, and when it did not work, he remembered it is not available with the SP....only the PP.

SP = not available
    PP = it is not working.
  • shiposhipo Member Posts: 9,148
    I routinely get well over 32 mpg on long trips (got over 33 last week with the A/C on for the entire trip) with my well broken in 328i 5-Speed, so 27 during the "Break In" period is not too surprising. ;-)

As far as the break in period, this is the time when all of the parts of an engine learn how to work together. Initially, a new engine is "Stiff" and higher RPMs can cause damage to some of the connection points (bearing surfaces, cam surfaces, valve guides and cylinder walls). Also, the piston rings need to "Seat" and once again, higher RPMs can slow or even reverse that process. There was a thread here a few years ago that suggested that you could start nudging 5000 RPMs after ~800 miles and 5500 RPMs after ~1000. I know it is tempting, however, the safest course is to follow what the engineers have set forth in you manual.

I see no reason why you should not take your new ride to West Virginia this weekend, just vary your speed. I drive to Fayetteville, WV every fall during Gauley season and I think that you will have plenty of opportunity vary your engine speed given all of the mountainous areas you will have to traverse.

Best Regards,
    Shipo
  • burrsrburrsr Member Posts: 255
    I and others have posted several messages regarding break-in fairly recently (within last couple hundred posts). Go check them out.

To specifically answer your questions, though:

1) NO! There is no chip or any tracking device to detect the number of times 4,500rpm has been exceeded before 1,200 miles. These are merely recommended guidelines that will help ensure proper engine wear-in and piston ring sealing, etc., to increase engine longevity and reduce future maintenance. However, beware of the marketing "bugs" installed under the front passenger's seat -- they record all negative comments eminating from within the passenger compartment. :)

2) Long trips are great for break-in. Just don't use the cruise control. The idea is to submit the engine to as many various heating/cooling cycles under as many varying loads as possible. Driving at a constant, say, 75mph for 5 hours won't do this. Just vary the speed on the highway -- anywhere from 50mph to 90mph. Also, it's good to full-throttle it (assuming you have a manual; if not use Manual 5th for the Step -- just make sure you don't kick down a gear or two and exceed 4,500rpm) from about 50 to 80mph in 5th and then let off the gas and allow the engine to brake from 80mph back to 50mph. This helps the pistons achieve optimal sealing within the cylinders, from what I understand. Fun, too, and a good demonstration of the engine's broad torque curve.
  • platypusplatypus Member Posts: 192
    I have the SP, no PP, and my passenger mirror tilts when in reverse.
  • div2div2 Member Posts: 2,580
    How virtually no BMW owners post absurd junk in the Lexus topics. I guess it's because they aren't terribly envious of Lexus owners.
  • dundedunde Member Posts: 32
    seems like i m all set to cruise then. u guys are great source of information. thanx a lot.
  • shawn33shawn33 Member Posts: 15
    Someone pull the plug on aculex!!!!!!!!!!!!

These Lexus/Acura owners are something else.
  • dantlodantlo Member Posts: 106
    Glad I am not alone.
    You are right about getting to be dangerous. Mine is very sticky only when it is hot outside, it is fine when the car is left overnight. I talk to Greg at BMWNA, he was very helpful and told me to bring it back to the dealer again(took it to two dealers alrady). he said if it is not fixed he would post a bulletin to all dealers and see if anyone out there knows of the same problem.

Can you describe your problem please?
    Dantlo 2001 325i step
  • alpine325ialpine325i Member Posts: 209
    I was at a Chevy dealer the other day and I met a guy from Bavaria. When he saw me get out of my 325i he says:"now thats a fine automobile". I said thanks, I just bought this 5 months ago. Then he says: "see all these cars? these are just "cars", but a BMW is a fine automobile, you can't even compare the two". I thought that was great. :o)
  • novcenthusiastnovcenthusiast Member Posts: 80
    you posted a link featuring 2002 3-series pics and said to note the SMG option.

What is SMG? I apologize if this is something really obvious.

I'd have to agree they do look less aggressive than the '01s. Don't think the changes are enough to make me reconsider possibly buying one.
  • hippo168hippo168 Member Posts: 115
    I don't post much on this board, but I truely enjoy reading all the good info from the good people.

What I don't understand is, why would people post nonsense like aculex does? I guess they just can't realize we have a large number of intelligent people who know so much about BMW's, and we will not buy the "GMW" crap...

Can we put a ban on this guy?
    I will offer my high-level understanding of SMG - perhaps the more mechanically inclined members can explain the technical details. In essence, SMG is a true manual transmission, but without a clutch pedal. (Not all all to be confused with steptronic.) Gears are shifted via paddles on the steering wheel - one to upshift, and one to downshift. You can see the paddles just behind the wheel in the photo - they're silver in color. The clutch is controlled electronically.

I believe the only cars currently offered to the US market with SMG are certain model Ferraris. The racing enthusiasts can correct me if I'm wrong - but it's my understanding that F1 race cars use SMG transmissions. Rumored pricing for this option on the M3 is ~$4K.
  • shap1shap1 Member Posts: 77
    I guess I have sort of the opposite situation of most others here. I make lots of short trips in stop and go suburban traffic (i.e. to and from work, kids' carpool). Never get much above 45 MPH (YET!!!). Should I take the car on the expressway from time to time at higher speeds during break-in?

FYI, have the car (325i) one week, 200 miles so far.
  • denrightdenright Member Posts: 285
    As a prudent car owner, I make it a habit to extend the factory warranties on my cars as long as possible. Paying a few hundred dollars to entend a warranty is essentially an insurance policy, and it gives me a lot of peace of mind. It also makes me MUCH more likely to run into the dealership as soon as I detect any problem, rather than wait while a problem potentially gets worse.

I intend to extend the factory warranty on my ordered 330xi as long as possible -- hopefully for the entire time I own the car. Quite simply, such an extension is a great hedge against the unforeseen, and it makes me much less fearful about the alleged reliability problems spouted by Aculex and the like.
  • trejos28trejos28 Member Posts: 93
    I find your posts so informative (and descriptive when it comes to your cars and the driving experience) that with a month still to go before my car arrives, I don't think I'll be able to make it!
    Please provide me with the name, phone number and location of the dealership you reference above. I would love to call the service manager there and inquire as to your conversation.
    Uugh. Was hoping for tomorrow. Was so much wanting it before the holiday.
    You claimed to have just called the place. What, don't you have the information handy?
  • novcenthusiastnovcenthusiast Member Posts: 80
    ah..
    I hadn't noticed the paddles in the pic.

Thanks

Speaking of these transmissions is there any thread in the townhall that discusses them in detail? Just been curious about how they work.

Do they only operate manually? Is the only diffence that the paddles replace both the clutch and shifter action with one electric signal?

I take it Steptronic and Acura's SportShift are based on auto. tran. torque converters...
    Interesting how you becoming highly insulting and rude so quickly. Your behavior raises all sorts of questions. However, I will forego any ad hominem attacks and simply address the substance of this matter.

That bmwlemon site is incredibly disorganized. I honestly don't know which testimonial I was supposed to reference for the purposes of determining exactly what dealership you purportedly called.

I simply asked if you could assist a fellow car shopper in finding information by providing me with the name and phone number of the dealership that you purportedly called. I am at a loss as to why, exactly, you are unable and/or unwilling to provide me with this information.

I will endeavor to locate this information without your assistance. Once I have done so, I will take appropriate steps.
    Stop removing Aculex' posts, you're making me look like a lunatic talking to himself.
    What MY do you have? 2001? 2000? 1999? I wonder if this was a subtle change that they made between MY's or something. My dealer said he sold another vehicle with SP and no PP, and his did not work either....Which leads me to my second question...

I wonder if the button to adjust the mirrors has to be in a certain position for it to work? (I am purely guessing at this point)
  • patpat Member Posts: 10,421
    ... "don't feed the trolls".

It generally works out pretty well. Just a thought.

Pat
    Host
    Sedans and Women's Auto Center Message Boards
    was a piece of cake!!!! Took all of about 15 minutes to install. Cut out the plastic trim piece with an exacto knife and joila! So glad I did not pay the dealer to install! Thanks to all of y'all that posted your comments on the install process / requirements, etc.

next project - armrest...anyone have experience with installing this jewel? I printed the instructions from Circle, but I would like to hear first hand? Pain-in-the-a*@ ? Piece of cake?
    Well, at least you have some sense of humor. However, I think our fellow board-readers might have a different opinion than yours regarding who, exactly, is the lunatic here.

Incidentally, why not just admit that you made up the story about calling the dealership? I have the name here now... why not spare me the trouble of calling over there and stirring up a pot of trouble?
    I know that it only works when the mirror position switch is on one side (can't remember if left or right)
    Oh, the humanity.
    manure.
    I will play with the mirror button when I get home...actually, that sounds like a project right up my 2 year olds alley....
    My car is STILL waiting at the dock for a ship... has been since thursday.

Any sense on how long it usually takes to get loaded on a ship once a car is at the port?
  • bmwagonmasterbmwagonmaster Member Posts: 150
    Try this link, and when you get home page click on "articles" at top of screen. On the next screen that comes up, scroll the left hand column. There's an article dated 4/30/2001 about SMG. Hope this helps!

http://www.bmwnation.com/home.html
  • bmwagonmasterbmwagonmaster Member Posts: 150
    There's also a feature article about the 2002 "redesign" at the same link I posted above.
  • burrsrburrsr Member Posts: 255
    What the hell happened to our beloved board today???

Anyway...

Shap1 -- the key to break-in is varying the engine speeds and loads within the given parameters. It doesn't get much more varied than in-town driving. A few highway jaunts wouldn't hurt, and they would certainly decrease the time required to reach the magical 1,200-mile milestone. I'm currently breaking in a Z3 2.5 and constantly make up excuses to drive it. I drove it to work today just to decrease the overall break-in time...

Steptronics, Shiftronics, Tiptronics, Sportshifts -- call them what you will but they all have one thing in common: they are all automatics, and they all have a conventional torque converter. The only difference between these and "conventional" autos is the user interface -- the ability to control the tranny with the gear selector. I'm no SMG expert by any means, but I do know that they have NO torque converter (and hence no power loss associated with it) and they do have a clutch, albeit an electronically controlled one that engages and disengages so quickly that you can't detect any hesitation between gears. Therein lies the theoretical advantage of SMGs over traditional manuals and why most racing circuits employ this technology. It's also expensive, as seen by the roughly $4,000 option on the M3 and something like 10 grand(!) for the Ferraris on which it's an option.
  • carpevinocarpevino Member Posts: 24
    I read through your posts and was hoping you might of gotten an explanation. You are correct in stating that it only happens when it is hot and I think it is related to the interior car temperature or outside temp. We just went through a heat wave and the pedal felt sticky for the pass two days. Now it is 65 degrees and it works just fine. Nice and smooth. I would describe it to being similar to a tacky sensation as if someone spilled soda on the floor and you walk on it after it has dried. The hotter it got the worse it felt. I am going to call my dealer and see if they have a response.
    If I were to make a guess, something is expanding and causing friction or something is heating up and becoming soft and moving when it shouldn't.

Anyway, your not alone and I'll let you know what the dealer says.
  • tenet1tenet1 Member Posts: 354
    Looking to order a 2001 325i with premium package, leather, Xenon, heated seats, 6CD, Mettalic paint, Automatic. Does anyone know what the fair price over invoice is for such a car in the Virginia/DC area?

If so is there any dealer you can recommend in this area that is good to deal with??

Any help will be really appreciated.

Thanks
  • tchootchoo Member Posts: 93
    My dealer says I can't pay, do the paperwork and pick up the car on the same day. He says that need the payment before they can register the car and I have to come back the next day to pick it up. I'm bringing along a certified check for goodness sake, what's wrong with these people? Deepdarkblu, looks like I won't see my car till after the 4th!
  • adam68adam68 Member Posts: 59
    Recently purchased a 325CI. My dealer is a little too far to go to for service. If I use a different dealer for service, Should I expect
    to not be treated as well?