Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

BMW 3-Series 2005 and earlier

Comments

• aaron330iaaron330i Member Posts: 136
    Try the BMW alarm...plugs right in and you can even do it yourself. Costs around $250+- and the car is prewired for it.
  • denrightdenright Member Posts: 285
    Furthermore, aside from superior performance, the E46 is a far better looking car that the IS300.

And I have the money.
  • alpine325ialpine325i Member Posts: 209
    Bling Blings? Those words conjure up pictures in my mind of 22" inch rims, big fake gold chains, picking up 15 year olds at Macdonalds, and mad props for my system (amps and subs). But I still don't know what "da bling blings" are, shiny chrome rims? I guess I'm not down wit it. But I did see two teenagers say "bling bling" and then hi-five on a Macdonalds commercial. I guess the media sells it and you live the role. I also think that they should play more rap music on MTV because It's severely lacking in that respect. (just trying to have some fun) Alp. :o)
  • reubencahnreubencahn Member Posts: 102
    I've never tried to pull back the engine cover but I have to say that Audi's build quality is not shabby. My wife has the A4 2.8 and the build quality is comparable to my 328. IMO, the BMW is better in many ways but overall build quality isn't one of them. I'll be very interested to see if the new A4 closes the gap in those other areas.
  • david325xidavid325xi Member Posts: 13
    First time to post message for me. Like this board a lot. Thanks to everyone who posted the info on this board. I have placed an order on 5/7 for week 24 325xi. Now, production just began (I think).
    Gurumike, can you check the status for me. Thanks!
    Topaz Blue, Black Leatherette, Step, PP, CWP,CD.
    It goes to Boston, MA. The wait is killing me :^)
  • dremptdrempt Member Posts: 31
    I called AAA after I read the message you posted last Thursday (in which you mentioned that AAA NE is offering 5.99%) and they told me that lowest rate they are offering right now with an excellent credit rating (800) is 7.5/7.8 which is pretty much what I can get from Tulley.

Do you remember the name of the person you talked with at AAA? What location?
  • thedeepdarkbluthedeepdarkblu Member Posts: 106
    Well, I had a great deal b/c I work for the federal government and my credit union has a contract with their dealership, so we get very good deals. Not so sure the general public gets the same. I still paid about $1700 over invoice, but I'm not complaining.

My 325Ci has metallic paint, leather, sports package, xenon lights, HK upgrade, and moonroof. After tax, tags, title, etc., my out-the-door cost was $34,633.
  • drcrdrcr Member Posts: 87
    My accelerator pedal also sticks a bit when it is very hot.

aculex is really v-tick undercover. just don't respond and it will go away
  • mule714mule714 Member Posts: 22
    Just how much $$ difference is there between the payoff of the lease and the acutal value when you're trying to unload an 11 month old BMW?

Just ordered my 330i (fully loaded, no SP) and I'm already trying to figure how much it would cost to get a new one (or an upgrade!) in another year.
    Thanks for the input. I've printed your post for reference. Who was your salesperson? Mine is Brian. I really hope that my delivery day "experience" will be as pleasurable/trouble free as yours. Brian strikes me as a very nice guy. This is the first time I deal with Tulley, though.
  • tchootchoo Member Posts: 93
    Their website is still showing 5.99% -> http://www.aaa.com/aaa/240/sne/finance/autorates.html. The person I talked to was Ron at 508-698-9339 x 205. He was very helpful. Good luck.
  • blaketagblaketag Member Posts: 24
    Does anyone know if BMWFS continued the June 330i lease rates (.0021 MF and 60% residual on 3 yr/15K) into July? I heard rumors that they did so. I'm curious since I take delivery on my 330i towards the end of the month. I'm currently on the RYUJIN due in to Port Hueneme on 7/16. Thanks in advance for any input!

Tom
  • eugeug Member Posts: 46
    That a great rate. I just check AAA of Southern Cal, it still about 7.5%! I can't understand the difference.
  • dantlodantlo Member Posts: 106
    Drcr, Do you have steptronic too? You are the 3rd person so far. Are you taking it in to the dealer?
    Dan
  • shawn33shawn33 Member Posts: 15
    I'm dying waiting for my 325i to arrive. I've recently read in a few different places that some 325i and 330i owners have been a little negative stating the 325 (2001) is somewhat short on power. I didn't feel that way, how about anyone else??? Am I just getting paranoid waiting, or will I be a little disappointed with the 184 horses??
  • cnyxicnyxi Member Posts: 2
    Need a bit of help. Ordered a 325xi middle of June and was told it would be a week 27 order. Just after getting production number, heard there was a delay with awd cars. Called BMWNA last week and they claimed no knowledge of this, and reiterated that my car would be done July 6th. Called yesterday and was told it hasn't gone into production but is still set for this week. When I asked for a status the rep said 105. This doesn't sound encouraging as I found out this means out of production. Checked with my sales person and am still waiting for details from him.
    If anyone has any knowledge of this, could they pass this information along? I have heard that some wk 28 330XIs have been built this week (early), so I'm curious as to the hold on my 325xi.

Thanks,
  • jfz219jfz219 Member Posts: 63
    I heard about the post showing pictures of the 330 titanium silver with the crystal side and tail lights... can someone please tell me what post it was, or even repost it.

Thanks
    mine is 325 5 spd.

Haven't been to the dealer. Just noticed recently. Not too bad. I have ~1400 miles. I'll wait to hear results of others b4 i develop game plan. Off to start the 4th
    Why no S on the 325i? Older versions had the S for Sport? did they not?
  • dantlodantlo Member Posts: 106
    Mine is a 325i steptronic. Enjoy! keep us posted if it worse on you! I have 5000 miles on mine.

Thanks
  • platypusplatypus Member Posts: 192
    Go here --> http://www.330i.com/

Disclaimer - this is not my car.

• burrsrburrsr Member Posts: 255
    I believe the "S" designation in previous generations signified the "saloon" variant, which is Euro-speak for "coupe." Now they've adopted the "C" for both coupe and convertible variants, hence "325Cic" (I could have the upper- and lower-cases reversed, though).
  • sunnybrooksunnybrook Member Posts: 74
    I keep hearing everyone talk about something called 'clears'. Just what exactly is this? Also, does anyone know any specifics on feature/option differences that will be on the 2002 3-series?
  • 37043704 Member Posts: 1
    I just want to let everyone know of the lousy service I received from Momentum BMW of Houston. The people I had to work with were completely incompetent. The body shop is even worst. I am not sure how BMW of NA let's them get away with this type of service. They need to take a look at Lexus to see how people should be treated. If you live in the Houston area, you will find BMW North and Advantage BMW much better.
  • allanoallano Member Posts: 175
    I worked with Kevin M. He was very considerate - I felt like I was being treated fairly and even-handedly during the whole process. His sales manager, Jim O. was also very friendly and straight forward; no good guy/bad guy routine. You'll like their business manager(s) also -- both were very sharp and well prepared.
    My wagon was my first buy at Tulley and received delivery in their new show room. No surprises or added costs so I think you'll have a great time. Good luck.
  • trejos28trejos28 Member Posts: 93
    Congrats unboring! and shawn33..i too am waiting on 325i..I think it's got more than enough!
  • gurumikegurumike Member Posts: 442
    Hi David

Your car is in 150 today, it should be finished in around seven days. I'd say you'll be picking it up in 5 or 6 weeks.
  • denrightdenright Member Posts: 285
    sitting in the harbor, waiting for it to fill up so they can set sail for the New World.

Anticipation. Sigh.
  • snooky2xsnooky2x Member Posts: 3
    I just ordered 2001 325ci convertible with some options. I tried to contact as many BMW dealerships in the Chicago area before I placed the order and no one was willing to do anything off the MSRP. This was a new experience for me since I have always got great deals on cars. I finally was able to get $500 off from the dealership I ordered from.

I tried to get some quotes onlines but none of the dealerships even bothered to return my e-mail and all the online buying services I tried told me to get in direct contact with the dealerships since they were not taking any deals.

Is this normal for BMW dealerships, is this car just that hot ro did I just get taken? A dealership even acted suprised that I was asking for anything off on the car.
    See my post #6648 for some anticipated changes for the '02 line-up.

"Clears" refers to the color of the turn lenses on the car - all US cars (325 and 330) come with standard amber lenses. Just look at any photo and you will see the front turn indicators have amber lenses, as do the rear turn indicators.

The M3 and all European spec. cars have clear (or white) lenses instead of amber. See the link in my post #6841, and you can see that the turn indicators on this car are clear (both front and rear).

Folks just looking to do something to make their car stand out a little often replace their standard amber lenses with clear ones. The cost is ~$300.
  • dl7265dl7265 Member Posts: 1,381
    If anyone ordered and has their Amber lenses to discard , lemme know .

Regards,
    DL
    Good point about the media stealing culture trends and making money on them, also, thanks for the "bling blings" clarification, I feel a little more down wit it. :o)
    burrsr - Saloon is English for sedan. Coupe in English is coupe with a "grave" (it think that's right?!) on the e, so we pronounce it "coo-pay". This whole "iS" badging system takes a little understanding. The badge originated in around 1989 in Europe when BMW introduced the then brand new 1.8 DOHC 16 valve engine. It was only available in the two door car, the 318iS. The sedan soldiered on with the older single cam 8 valve unit. Okay, so originally, the "S" part of the badging for BMW was for the "S" in sixteen. BMWs first "full production" main stream car with 4 valves per cylinder. Previously only the M cars had had four valve technology. Now, here's where much confusion has arisen. In the USA, the marketing department were very influential in the way things were going to be. And much as it pains me to admit it, we saw one of the only examples of BMW throwing the old rule book out of the window. They decided that they would call all two door hard top 3 series in America "iS". No one really knows that it ever stood for anything specific. But it sounded appropriate. So in the land of advertising and sales, you could say that a car company actually called it's models some thing different for reasons limited solely to try to sell more cars. Like may be, for some people, the name 325i wouldn't be exciting enough for some one considering a two door car such as that. I remember, around the time I was finishing college, seeing these new shape (E36, back in 1992/93) 3 series two doors driving around badged as 325iS. We lived near one of the US air bases and some of the personnel had had their cars shipped over and registered in England while they were there. As a car buff then, I remember being totally confused by this "wrong" badge. Up until 1999 MY, only the 318 was ever an "iS" (wait, is there another manufacture copying that moniker right now, just both letters in capitals???). So a two door coupe 3 series with a six cylinder 2.0 or 2.3 or 2.5 or 2.8 was only ever a 323i, for example.
    I think H.Q. in Germany made some compromises but decided world wide recognition was paramount and as such E46 saw "iS" replaced by "Ci". Both two door three series can be "C" - coupe or convertible. Plus the badge is universal so there won't be any confused Mikies running around their home town bewildered.

cynic - there are no delays on AWD cars that are sold orders. There was a lot of confusion regarding delays on AWD product, but they are getting built with in a week of their estimate, if they're marked as "Priority 1" sold units. If you give me your cars description and city/state ordered, I'll look it for you.
    dl,

I haven't put clears on yet, but am planning to. Where are you at? I'm in Austin. Do you need a complete set of new ambers? My car has less than 1500 miles on it.
  • parumpparump Member Posts: 65
    Shawn,

This is a difficult question to answer because the response is so subjective. Some drivers enjoy the torque and response from a more powerful engine - clearly the 330i is stronger than the 325i. However, some drivers do not use the power curve and driving characteristics for maximum benefit of speed and acceleration. To achieve maximum performance of the 325i engine, the RPM should be above 3K (my guess).

In my opinion, the 325i is plently powerful enough for my regular driving needs. In fact, it is probably too powerful - just ask the Highway Patrol Man who paced me last week traveling 70 MPH in a 55 MPH zone.

My suggestion is to enroll in a driving school course as the first step. BMW Canada offers wonderful classes that are not available to us in the lower fifty. After completing the class, you should able to decide the HP question for yourself.

Remember, some Canadians elect to purchase the 320i and some Europeans, the 320d. They believe that these cars provide sufficient power.

I hope that these comments are helpful for you.
  • elroyxxelroyxx Member Posts: 10
    Just got home from dealer. Everything was flawless. I'll post more later but here are the hightlights:

1)Perhaps most important, 5.9% financing even though the program was to have ended on Saturday.
    2)I'm having a tough time deciding which is more fun, driving it or looking at it. OK Driving is more fun, but man what a beautiful machine. Both inside and out. I got chills when the dealer popped the hood and I could see the motor.
    3)The sound. Enough said.

2 negatives (not related to the car at all)
    1)too much traffic in Mpls. to get a good feel for the pickup and handling. I'll have to go outside the city tomorrow to find some twisty turny roads.
    2)the goof ball that decided to merge into my lane without looking. (The ABS works great.)

1 extremely minor complaint thus far is that there is little room to store stuff like CD's etc. I'm sure I'll get over that.

More to come later
    J
  • bmwagonmasterbmwagonmaster Member Posts: 150
    See gurumike Jul 1, 2001 10:04pm. May explain why it's hard to get a "deal" now. Hope this helps.
  • kiskikiski Member Posts: 17
    The Cincinnati dealers appeared to be holding firm when I ordered my 330i. Only one of the two dealerships would really negotiate and I did not want to purchase the car outside of my living area. The best I could do on a steel blue/gray, CWP,PP,SP,zenon, step, cd was $2k over invoice and a .021 money factor. (I have bought 18 new cars in the last 17 years so I usually know what I am am doing.) While I congratulate all those who did better, I just decided to be thrilled to finally get the car I have been lusting after for 22 years.

I went to school in CA but lived in PA. After my freshman year in college, a good friend's parents were moving from Boston to San Francisco. They had two 320i's and asked if we wanted to drive the cars across the country for them? Stupid question, right? It was the most fun week I can remember from those college days and I have been hooked on the car ever since. At this point, if you did the best you could, why drive yourself crazy about the deal?
    Convertibles sell at MSRP. If you got $500 off a car that wasn't an over-optioned, cancelled order, in stock and we need to sell it to anyone who's a taker so we will discount it, then you did good.
    If you paid sticker, you got what would usually be described as "the best deal". If you paid over sticker, call me next time!
  • pal12pal12 Member Posts: 7
    After waiting for almost 14 weeks my 325xi will be ready for pickup this weekend. Unfortunately, I have to be out on business for two weeks. Is it reasonable to ask the dealer to hold on to it for two weeks?
    Thanks for your help
  • mfeldmanmfeldman Member Posts: 140
    No, I'd have to say it would be very unreasonable. A week would be on the absolute outside of what a flexible dealer might be. It would be proper to take delivery within 24-48 hours of it being ready. Tough situation to be in. You can't legally sign for the car before it gets to the dealership (at least in California, I'd guess most other states too). Could they Fed-Ex you the docs when it gets in and you Fed-Ex them straight back after signing? That would seem to be the only option.
    How important, really, is that business trip?
  • shawn33shawn33 Member Posts: 15
    Anyone else have any comments about the 325i and it's power or lack of???
  • cutea79cutea79 Member Posts: 3
    Hi all, this is my first post. I'm interested in buying the 2001 325 xi. The one thing I don't like is the black molding on the sides of the car and bumpers. The dealer told me they could paint it to match the car. Is that a smart move? I'm concerned that it might chip easily. It seemed to be made of rubber, so I'm also questioning how the paint will look over it. This seemed like a very good idea, but now I'm not sure. Also, how much does the upkeep generally cost a year? I'm hearing things of $70 oil changes and parts being extremely expensive for repairs. Thanks.

A
  • pal12pal12 Member Posts: 7
    Well, it is one of those trips I should make but may be able to avoid. But if I am able to sign the papers without actually picking up the car would that be fine?
    Keep the black molding!! It gives the car a more sporting look. Monochrome is overrated. Plus, painted trim pieces will not wear as well over time.

Even the M5 has black molding!
    I bought a soft CD storage thing that velcro's to itself around the sun visor. It holds 12 CD's and is made by "Case Logic". I bought it at Best Buy's for $10. You slide the discs in without the jewel cases. About 1/4 of the CD sticks out so you can easily identify and grab what you want, then flip the visor back up. Check it out, it's really cool. :o)