Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Lexus ES 300/ES 330

Comments

• brian42smithbrian42smith Member Posts: 14
    Thanks for the post Lenscap. This link provides the best photos I've seen of the 2002 Windsor.

Note the alloy wheels, I like them much better than what I've seen on the 2002 ES300. Does anyone know if Lexus plans to offer more than one alloy wheel?

http://www.toyota.co.jp/Showroom/All_toyota_lineup/Windom/index.html

Click on third line in 1st column (far left) for the site that has the photos...
  • lenscaplenscap Member Posts: 854
    You are welcome for the link.

All of the pictures of the Windom have the EXACT same 9-spoke wheels as the ES 300 has. Only that one wheel will be offered.

They are nice wheels!

By the way, did you see the antennas offered in Japan that raise from the front corners of the car to help you park? Those are neat.
    I don't know why, but the wheels on the Windom looked sportier, so I thought they were different. Maybe the color of the car produced that effect. After I posted, I realized they were the same.

I would prefer an option, something similar to the wheels on the GS430. Don't really car for the ES300 wheel. I think Lexus could have done more there. A five spoke wheel would have been nice.

Do you know the wheel size? 16" I wonder if a GS430 wheel would fit on the new ES300?
  • rebelskrebelsk Member Posts: 65
    Does anyone know when the pricing information on the car will be released. I am interested in the car with the Mark Levinson Stereo but not the navigation system and am wondering if this version of the vehicle will be available when they appear in October. Any information would be appreciated.
  • bacojoebacojoe Member Posts: 3
    Go to the Toyota press site www.pressroom.toyota.com. Watch it daily since all Toyota & Lexus prices to date have been released through this site which is available to all for review.
  • michaelf2michaelf2 Member Posts: 12
    I have 97 ES 300 with 62K miles on it. I checked the owners manual to see when I should change the timing belt but didnt see anything for the ES 300. Does anyone have info on this?
  • 2scottyboy2scottyboy Member Posts: 4
    michael2,

Check again. It should say 60K check timing belt. Not change.
  • rollomanrolloman Member Posts: 64
    I changed mine at 85K. I've heard of some that last over 100K. If a mechanic checks it and it's OK..keep it on. Should last many more miles.
  • fredvhfredvh Member Posts: 857
    Can several ES300 owners advise me of the gas mileage they are getting with their ES300s? Thanks.
  • bacojoebacojoe Member Posts: 3
    My 1998 ES300 w/36,500 mi averages around town approx 21mpg. Two weekends ago, went to Harpers Ferry, WV from Kingsville,MD and return. The average for that 210 mile roundtrip was 25-1/2 MPG. I alternate on tank fillups regular to mid grade to regular etc, etc.
  • justfind6justfind6 Member Posts: 30
    I have a '96, just got 26.5mpg on regular gas (89 octane here in NJ) on a trip to Durham, NC. That was running at an average 70mph over all.
    Dave
  • ctrowland1ctrowland1 Member Posts: 31
    2001 Coach edition. Only 5,000 miles on motor. 22.5 mpg (87 octane) combined city, highway.

Chip
  • dardson1dardson1 Member Posts: 696
    I bought an '01 Sienna XLE (top of the line Toyota minvan) last fall that listed for $32.5k. In the spring my wife got an '01 ES300 that listed just under $35k. For the extra $2k she got traction control, sunroof, bigger and better tires, bigger and better wheels, bigger and better stereo with a rear subwoofer, a six disc changer, light everywhere including on all the major buttons and window switches, 10 more horses, nicer and much better looking leather, a longer warranty, a power passenger seat, side air bags, and a quiet ride I can only attribute to better fit and finish and more insulation. My Sienna has a rod (that's right, a rod) to hold up the hood! Either the Sienna cost too much or the ES300 is a heck of a bargain. Toyota has a way of making you pay dearly for every little gadget they add. Lexus seems to give you more than you'd expect at a fairly modest price.
    With Toyota and Lexus for that matter, one needs to be careful when "checking" off on the options list. With Honda, a $23,000 Accord, costs $23,000 well equipped. Toyota seems to have adopted what American manufactures were doing in the 80's and early 90's. They would MSRP a car for $xx,xxx, but it had almost nothing on it. By the time you got the car the way it should have been equipped, it cost thousands more. Same with Toyota. A 2002 $25,000 Camry can easily go for $30,000+. An ES can also climb fast. The base model does not come with leather? So even though it "lists" for just over $30,000. To get one the way it should be "dressed" costs over $35,000.
    But it's worth every penny, the ES that is.
    Enjoy yours! I love mine.

Chip
    Here are some of the best pictures I have seen of the new Camry in case anyone is interested:

http://www.familycar.com/RoadTests/ToyotaCamry/Photos.htm

• carleton1carleton1 Member Posts: 560
    Those severely raked windows make it much more difficult to get into and out of than the more "designed for comfort" 2001 and earlier Camry. Probably makes the trunk less convenient to use also.
  • ridenalexusridenalexus Member Posts: 1
    I went to PIAA web site to look for replacement bulbs to give that "HID" look. I looked at their chart and saw that the model 9005 bulbs would work. What I neglected to notice was that the bulbs will only replace the High Beams. There are no bulbs that are made for the Low Beams. I want to know if anyone knows of a suitable brand that is available for the Low Beams.
  • vmaturovmaturo Member Posts: 71
    Passed the local Toyota dealer this morning.
    Saw a Camry XLE 6cyl for only $31,970 USD.
    No additions to the original sticker.
  • s852s852 Member Posts: 1,051
    If the Toyota dealers were not interested in discounting the car to near invoice (around $27-28K), I think one of the left-over new 2001 ES300s would be a better deal at that price.
  • godeacsgodeacs Member Posts: 481
    ...according to the local Lexus dealer, what you see on the lot is all that's gonna be coming!
  • tclemonstclemons Member Posts: 31
    I think the 2002 Camry is beginning to look a lot like the 00/01 Civic Coupe. In a couple of the photos, particularly the ones from the passenger side rear, it looks a little like the 01 Dodge Stratus. A lot of these cars are starting to look alike.

BTW, re: gas mileage. I have a 98 ES300 with 22K and it averages 17-19 in town and 28-30 on the road. My wife drives the car daily (3 miles to work), so the in-town mileage is not as high as it could be because of the short trip - lot of stops. This car is by far the best I have ever owned. My wife wants a RX300 next, so I will wind up with the ES300.
    vmaturo, almost $32K for '02 Camry, ouch.

Fred, I think you are running out of time for a 2001 ES300. Went to dealer in N. CA. last week. When I bought mine, March '01, dealer had maybe 15-20 ES's on the lot. Last week only saw 4. None were Coach edition.

tclemons, 28-30 mpg? That's great. What octane are you using? What speed do you and your wife drive on the freeway? I just put 100 freeway miles (70 mph) and about 120 city on my '01 ES. I got 24 mpg on 87 octane.

Chip
    Can anyone tell me if there are still more 2001 ES300s coming to dealers yet or have they all been delivered?
    I attended the 2002 test drive on Saturday. Great event, with lots of good food.

There were several new ES 300s, many pre-production protoypes. I think there were seven of the nine available colors there.

There were two courses, a luxury-oriented one and a sportier one with more twists and turns. Other cars on hand to drive were the MB E320, MB C320, BMW 325i, Lincoln LS, Acura 3.2TL and a Volvo. Plus there were a bunch of 2002 IS 300 SportCrosses on a separate track.

Bottom line: I love this car. The exterior is very different with lots of character; it looks like a more expensive car. Head on it resembles a MB S-Class. Power is very good. It did not feel slower than any of the competitors and felt very quick compared to my 1995 ES. The steering has been firmed up a bit, although it does not handle like the BMW. The interior simply blows away anything else that was there. Nice little touches abound, such as the rain-sensing wipers, hook on the right side of the console, light inside the center console storage compartment, leather panel over the rear cupholders, etc. I am sure this car will be a success.
  • rdorardora Member Posts: 4
    Lenscap, did you get any idea on prices? Do you think the NAV/LEV options will push it to $40K? How do you think the ride compares to an LS400?

Thanks for the info. Ron
    In reference to posts 1275 and 1276: Can you provide any info on either of those two questions? Thanks, fvh.
    We were given no info on pricing as no Lexus people were there, only the 3rd party marketing firm. However, my dealer told me this: a brand-new GS 300 with the luxury package lists for a little over $43,000. He said with discounts the car can be had for $40,000, if not less. While such a car does not have ML/NAV, my dealer said it is highly unlikely a loaded ES would be more than you could get a GS for. He said look for a loaded ES at about $38,000. Again, this is just his guess.

The ride is very close to an LS. Of course it will be a little different because it is a smaller car. But it felt real similar, with a much smoother, quieter ride than my 1995 ES but with better handling and firmer steering.
  • tnc69tnc69 Member Posts: 1
    I need to purchase a used car and do like the quality of the older Lexus ES300 models. I have found a 96 model on a dealer's lot which appears to be in mint condition. How many more miles should I expect from this car, if it was indeed well maintained, before I would run into any major problems? I keep shaking my head in disbelief as to how much they are asking for a used model. However, it is either this or a new Hyundai or other similarly priced new automobile. I have a friend who buys an Audi with around 50,000 miles on it and he keeps them until about 150,000 miles. So, what would be your verdict/advice?
    I bought my 96 ES brand new back in 96 and currently have 114K miles.

I can honestly say that I haven't had one problem with the car. I don't take to my Lexus dealer for service, I have a good friend who is ASE certified master mechanic. I change oil every 7000 miles with synthetic. Did major service at 85K, replaced timing belt...brake job..etc.

I get comments all the time on how my car looks just as good as showroom. I thought about trading last year but couldn't justify the big $$ for a new ES...simply because my 96 drives like new.

Just bought Goodyear Aquatred 3's. Absolutely unbelievable tires....especially in wet conditions. I've never had a tire that plowed right through the puddles without even a hint of hydroplaning.

The older ES is awesome, if you can find one as good as mine.

Good luck!
  • djlinkdjlink Member Posts: 3
    I just sold my 98 es300 w 64k for $21k, it was in perfect condition. If you have time look around for a one owner private seller, you should do better than with the dealer. I loved my car but would consider an acura TL or infinity I30 if the deal was right. That said I,ve got a 2002 GS300 on order, the Lexus experience has been first class. Good luck, shopping is half the fun.
  • jamrock4jamrock4 Member Posts: 53
    Ever since I received my copy of Autoweek with the report on the new ES300 and a very nice picture on the front cover, the ES300 has started to grow on me. I do not see myself spending $38,000 for the priviledge of owning this thing but I am most definitely interested in a test drive. Do not know who you bribed :) to participate in the test drive on Saturday. Appreciated your report and I am looking forward to conducting my own personal review in October.
    ...on the Test Drive Event. Sounds like the ES won you over.

Did you feel any noticeable improvement in interior head/leg room in front/back seat? My only pet peeve about the ES is that is has so much less interior room than LS.

Any other thoughts on the 02 ES would be enjoyed. Thanks.
    The interior definitely felt roomy. I'm 6', and there was plenty of headroom. In addition to the room, the front seats felt wider than today's current car. My friend who went with me now drives a 1997 ES 300, and he felt it was much roomier than his car. The back seemed roomier too, but I did not have a chance to actually sit back there.

Some neat little observations:

1. There is a sunglass holder above the rearview mirror (I think the 2001 has this too).
    2. There are now separate reading lights in the same panel, one for the driver and one for the passenger.
    3. There are beautiful metal scuff plates at all four doors that say Lexus.
    4. If you are in the car and the door is locked, you do not need to unlock the door to open. Simply pulling the inside handle unlocks the door (although the dealer can change this if desired).
    5. There is no keyhole on the outside front passenger door handle.
    6. There is a light inside the center console between the front seats.
    7. There is a neat trip computer under the speedometer with controls on the steering wheel.
    8. The wood is simply gorgeous.
    9. There is a leather cover that hides the rear seat cupholders when not in use (they're in the center armrest).
    10. I think the daytime running lights can be turned off, but I'm not positive on this.
    11. The compass in the rearview mirror is neat.
    12. There is a hook on the passenger side of the center console that retracts to hold a purse or small grocery bag from sliding around.
    13. Since it was raining that day, I have to say the rain-sensing wipers work very well. The wipers were on when a puddle splashed the windshield and all of a sudden the wipers switched to high for a minute to clear the extra water. Also, the side water-repellent windows work nicely as well.
    14. There are rear seat air vents.
    15. In the current ES, if you have the AVS, the cupholders block the switch when in use. In the 2002 the cupholders block nothing.
    16. The coat hooks in the back are improved and retract from the headliner.

A few days before the event I went to a Toyota dealer to check out the new Camry. While I think the Camry is a great car, there are NO similarities between it and the 2002 ES anymore in terms of looks. The 2001s did kind of look alike, but that didn't bother me. But the new ones are just completely different all the way around.
    I enjoyed all of your observations. Since I'm 6'3", the extra head and leg room is important. I'm looking forward to a test-drive soon.

Keep in touch with any additional thoughts.

Appreciate it!
    I took a 2001 ES300 for a test-drive the other day and I noticed a hissing sound coming from the engine compartment. It sounded like it was coming from the air conditioner and sounded as if it was coming from the passenger side of the vehicle. It was not irritating but one could definitely hear it. I did read about this before on a review page. Are any owners here familiar with the sound or was it just that particular vehicle. The air conditioner was on when I drove it. I did not try to turn the air off. Any opinions?
  • mike_e_smithmike_e_smith Member Posts: 20
    The A/C hisses in my 2000 ES300 as well when it is on. I think it is "normal" and I listed it as a problem on the owner satisfaction survey from Lexus. Maybe they've improved the design for 2002.
    I went to the web page of leasebanc.com and saw a lease that looked almost too good to be true.

Does anyone have any experience with this company or have they got a similar lease through Lexus Finance?

http://www.leasebanc.com/eloan/leasenow/quickquote.php?FQID=CBC50506-F63B-11D4-B4D7-0002B30AE45E

• mmcbride1mmcbride1 Member Posts: 861
    It is too good to be true. The problem with that lease quote is that they are quoting you a cap cost at $1,000-2,000 below invoice (depending on how the car is equipped). While the 2001 ES's are being discounted, they aren't going for below invoice.

It's unrealistic, that's all.
    Too bad. A 2001 ES300 is not what I really want, but I would gladly take it at that price.
    It looks like the deal was for an ES300 with VP, wood steering wheel, wheel locks and trunk mat.
    Those few options do not add up to the MSRP they listed at $36473.00, but it might be a good deal if it still is the cost they listed.
    If I can get it for the monthly cost they listed with no cap reduction, I may take it anyway.
    That still is almost $2K below invoice so it might not be possible. I'll know if this is a sleazy company that uses bait and switch in a day or two when they contact me with the price.
  • deanedelldeanedell Member Posts: 16
    Has anyone found out when it will arrive on dealer lots? I know the official release date is Oct. 1st but usually cars arrive on the lots a few weeks in advance. Thanks.
    why not call your local dealer?
  • gambhirgambhir Member Posts: 64
    My dealer is in Portland, OR and they are getting cars over this weekend--
    they said to expect pricing of around $39K
    although here is what I expect
    32K--base MSRP with destination (32,050)
    This time it has moonroof standard
    $500 for HID, $400 for heated seats--$5000 for nav/mark levinson and atleast $1500 more for leather
    you can easily shoot to 42K with chrome wheels etc but my dealer says they are confident it will remain $40K or less to not compete with GS300 sales
    Two colors I a opting for are Mystic sea green and Black garnet--will let you know when I get either
    The dealers by me say they don't know when the cars are arriving, that one day the trucks will just pull up.

Are you sure about the moonroof being standard? I thought it was still optional.

I saw both colors you are considering in person at the 2002 test drive two weeks ago. The Mystic Sea is a little dull but still sharp, although you almost never see an LS or GS in that color even though it's offered. The Black Garnet was REAL nice.

I want mine in silver with a black interior.
    2001s ad an MSRP of $34,073 with Lexus value package on all cars at my local dealer. They said the 2002s would go for about $36K or so...anything higher and you are competing with the GS....
  • 1951tarheel1951tarheel Member Posts: 7
    I have just received an invitation from JMLexus in the Ft Lauderdale area to view the 02 ES301
    at Town Center at Boca Raton- Nordstrom's Wing on Sept 12th at 7pm.
  • trd4metrd4me Member Posts: 14
    IMHO, the ES still looks too similar to it's Camry cousin. The two cars are indeed different from one another, but the differences seem very minor. Check out the pic:

Last note, Tokyo retail prices range from Y3.2-3.86 million (US$26,685-32,190)for the Windom. Also, if you want to see Toyotas that will probably end up being Lexus models, check out
    "auto-asia.com" and take a look at the Brevis and Verossa models.

Looks really are subjective. I actually think this is the first time the ES and Camry are vastly different. Only the headlights are similar, but that's expected from a Toyota product. The Camry has sharp angles around all windows, whereas the ES is very round like the GS. If you see the two cars together in a side profile you'll see they don't really look alike at all. Also, the Camry has much taller windows, while the ES closes in its occupants much more. And the back ends are totally different. Plus, the Camry has very flat sides and the ES has that thickly characater line. Having seen both cars in person, I can say the Camry is very boxy and upright like the Avalon and the ES has a fluid, steeply raked roofline.

I doubt the Brevis or Verossa will be Lexus models any time soon. They are priced similar to the ES and IS, and there is no room in the Lexus lineup for four cars all priced about the same. That's my opinion, but I do agree those look like nice cars.
  • gambhirgambhir Member Posts: 64
    well lenscap-thx for supporting garnet black :)
    folks, I got the es brochure--it says moonroof is standard
    now for the price
    assuming
    base+ destination is still 32,050
    nav and mark levinson will be atleast 5K (actually it is 7k with leather on Gs 300)
    now heated seats =400
    HID are packaged with rear shade= 550?
    adaptive suspension=1000
    trc and brake assist with VSC=600
    chrome wheels =1700

so that could be lot of moolah
This discussion has been closed.