Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Lexus ES 300/ES 330

Comments

• lagniappelagniappe Member Posts: 2
    Anyone bought a 2002 ES in the SF Bay Area? If so, which dealer do you recommend and what prices are they going for? I just checked it out at the SF Auto Show and was not overly taken with the exterior, but the interior and stereo are incredible. The workmanship is without equal. Looks like the perfect freeway commuter for me. Thanks for your help.

John
  • bcleepebcleepe Member Posts: 53
    Go to Pleasanton Lexus. My friend got one from there recently with approx 7% over invoice.
  • njbaran99njbaran99 Member Posts: 69
    I interested in the Lexus ES300, but it is a little out of my price range. Did any consider/compare the Camry XLE to the ES300?

I realize the ES300 is more refined, but you can get pretty decent options in the Camry (DVD Nav, JBL Sound, etc.). Camry XLE does not offer Xenons, Fog Lights, LS430 Leather, Auto Sunshade, Illumnious Dash, but besides that, it's pretty close. Warranty is different, but I heard Toyota and Lexus are pretty reliable.

I like the Headlight and Tailights on the Camry vs. the ES300.

Thoughts?
  • rebelskrebelsk Member Posts: 65
    Has anyone who special ordered the 2002 ES from Japan received their cars? I ordered mine back in early September and am still waiting. My dealer said that the earliest would probably be mid December. Anyone else had a similiar experience? Happy Turkey Day also.
    read on the Camry board that the V6 Camry is a timing belt, but the 4 cyl is a timing chain.

What does the ES300's V6 Have?
  • cwdavis1cwdavis1 Member Posts: 31
    I have test driven the Camry as well as the Avalon and was impressed with both. I could have purchased the Camry loaded with Nav. for $31, 000 list---probably less if I was a buyer. The Camry is an excellent car and I felt there was even more legroom in the back seat than the ES. The interior is more luxurious in the Lexus (real wood vs plastic, more refined layout etc.) but the Camry is an excellent vehicle with outstanding Toyota reliability. I am going to buy the Lexus ES 300 because I like something a little classier (already own a Mercedes)---but it comes at a higher price tag as well. Camry is a great car backed by a company with an outstanding record. You won't be disappointed and you will certainly be dollars ahead.
  • mbbenzmbbenz Member Posts: 47
    has timing belt.
  • ianhianh Member Posts: 8
    any one uses Topsider to change their oil? does it work?

thx,
  • bglass3vabglass3va Member Posts: 10
    In Northern Virginia we were told 90-120 days for special orders
    To those of you who got the car with the Mark Levinson stereo system, how happy are you with the system? How good is the sound? How full is the sound and what is the quality of the bass and treble responses? Are you glad you got the system?
  • kitchenskitchens Member Posts: 12
    We've had our 2002 ES 300 (NAV/ML Stereo) for two weeks now. Have about 700 miles on the car. Took it on its first road trip during the Thanksgiving break and the computer was displaying about 25MPG--at average speed of 60 MPH.

The navigation system is nice, but takes some getting used to. You really need to read the book and play with it. We thought that it had a glitch when we could not input points of interest while moving. Discovered that car has to be going very slow or stopped in order for this function to be working..I guess this is so you won't drive and play with the nav system at the same time. It can be a distraction.

According to the maintenance guide, timing belt is to be changed at 90K miles.

I was curious about something though. The maintenance guide mentions the changing of all the fluids at various intervals, but does NOT mention when to change the automatic transmission fluid. It is scheduled to be checked at periodic intervals, but they never mention to change it. Is there a special fluid in these cars that does not have to be changed?

Also, what kind of gas are most of you using--ie: regular, mid-level or premium. Our salesperson said that you could use regular, but to be consistant and you may not get as good gas mileage. What are you other owners doing?

Thanks for the input.
  • fredvhfredvh Member Posts: 857
    Thanks for writing concerning your new ES300. Did you have another ES300 before this one? Can you give us your opinion on the differences between the two?

If I had one I would probably use the mid-grade. It seems to be a good compromise and it would save you some money over premium. Here in Michigan it costs 8 cents more than regular. I believe that octane rating is "89". One of the car magazines just had an article on premium gasoline. I have not read it yet. It was "Car and Driver" and you can get it on-line at: http://www.caranddriver.com

Let us know about mpg highway when you get a chance. I am anxious to see if the new 5-speed transmission gives better highway mileage.
  • mbbenzmbbenz Member Posts: 47
    According to our 99 ES300's manual it states that the transmission fluid does not ever need to be change "under normal operation". Just to check the level periodically and level off if necessary. Nevertheless ours will get changed at 60k miles along with the coolant. I have always used premium 93 octane. Here in Boston are its only like 14 cents more than the regular.
  • kitchenskitchens Member Posts: 12
    fredvh, this is our first Lexus. I have always admired the previous generation of the ES300, but never owned one so can't really compare.

I will say, however, that my wife and I have been stopped in parking lots several times by mostly owners of previous generation es 300's saying how much they like the new one. One guy said he bought his 2001 in September and got a good deal, but wishes he had waited for the 2002 model. Although the front end styling is somewhat contraversial, the people who have talked to me and my wife have liked the front end. I personally like it--gives the car a unique look.

Thanks for the input on the gas octane and the transmission fluid. Since I am a stickler on maintenance, I too will probably change it around 50 - 60K.

I will keep you all informed as to gas mileage. Hopefully will be even better as the engine breaks in. However, we use the car mostly around town. On our trip last weekend, the four of us completely filled the trunk--granted we had some things we normally would not take on a trip (two deflated air mattresses, pillows, sheets etc.)but we could not fit much else back ther. I have a 2001 chevy suburban which we bought for longer trips, trailer towing, and camping..
  • lenscaplenscap Member Posts: 854
    Congrats on the car. I'm still about 6-8 weeks away from getting mine.

I would strongly recommend using only premium gas. Yes, the car can run on the lowest octane. But to get optimal performance and gas mileage I would use the highest grade.

If it costs 8¢ more per gallon that's nothing. If you drive 12,000 miles a year and average 22 mpg, it will cost you a total of $43.60. That's well worth it in my opinion.
  • gdb55gdb55 Member Posts: 14
    Rebelsk: I understand you ordered an ES300 in Starlight Pearl. I am also considering ordering that color for mine, but I hate to do so without actually seeing one. When you finally get yours, any chance you can post some pictures?
    What kind of deals are people getting on 02' ES300? Off MSRP or Up from Invoice?
    Sure, I would be happy to post a few pictures when he car arrives.
  • antiosama,

Thanks for the correction. It seems weird having to reposition the wiper blades that way, but whatever is right for that year is what you have to deal with. I should have recommended calling the dealer to be safe if there was no owners manual available. My second error was that I have a 99 not a 98. Oh well, thanks anyway.
    Has anyone on this board purchased an ES 300 in Blue Onyx Pearl? I currently have a silver one on order but am thinking about changing to Blue Onyx as I did see one in the show room and it was gorgeous. Wondered what it looked like outside. I also saw chrome wheels at the dealer the other day and they look great but at $1700--too expensive. I will look for the after market wheels or get them "exchanged" through a company that does chroming. I got a price quote of $650--the only problem is that being so new--they don't have a large stock on hand. Anyway--would appreciate feedback on the Blue Onyx color. Thanks.
  • parnolaparnola Member Posts: 141
    I test drove a Blue Onyx Pearl ES. Took it home and looked at it in my driveway. Gorgeous color.
  • mratnermratner Member Posts: 3
    When I was first researching the car I thought I'd get it in some sort of
    silver -- but after seeing it in person, because the door sills (?) are so
    high, the car has a bit of a "whaley" look when in light color. As women
    know well, dark colors make one look slimmer -- and not wanting to
    go with black, I settled on Blue.

Have had car for nearly a thousand miles and everyone agrees it's a
    beautiful color.
  • gambhirgambhir Member Posts: 64
    I adore my black garnet pearl--it is very nice as a dark color as well
    Chrome wheels are great --it took me 30 days to get chrome wheels--though retail is 41700, it wa seasy to get them at wholesale at $850--you should definitely negotiate hard on chrome

took a long drive to British Columbia--only half tank got me from Portland to vancouver--but wa snot 29 --was more b/w 26-27--hopefully it will improve--city is normally 19-20 and mixture is 22--so again numbers will proobably improve with servicing

ML is awesome--far exceeds my expectations
    Nav is a bit more demanding than my previous GS but good

Overall--I like the power--acceleration is much better and it is quite peppy
    no complaints
    Here's an interesting story for all of you. As you know, I've had my ES on order for about six weeks. I placed the order at Lexus of Highland Park (Chicago-area), where my family has purchased three previous cars. The owner, Ray Nusinow, told me before that he would give me a nice discount on the ES (I don't want to say exactly what the discount was).

Well, after the car was ordered I said I wanted the discount in writing. Everyone at the dealer told me to relax, that if Ray promised the discount I would get it. But I wanted it in writing. Finally, Ray told me I could only have the car when it comes in for list price. I was shocked! I told him if I did not get the discount he promised I would call Lexus Corporate.

Ray refused to budge, saying the car is very hot. That is garbage, because he knew the car was going to be hot (because of the orders they had on the car) yet still offered me the discount.

To make a long story short, within seven days Lexus Corporate arranged for my order to be transferred to another dealer near me. Lexus worked out something with this new dealer so that I get the car at the price I was originally promised. I think Lexus Corporate is absorbing the discount.

I will never again do business with Lexus of Highland Park. Everyone there is great, but I will not allow a dime of my money to be put in the greedy owner's pocket after he lied to me only to get me to order a car.

I thanked Lexus Corporate for their actions and for solving this problem so quickly, but I said that does not make up for what Ray did. They said not to worry, that he will be dealt with (whatever that means).

The bad news is there is a crook out there who owns a Lexus franchise. The good news is Lexus Corporate acted quickly in helping me in a way I believe no other car manufacturer would have. Their customer satisfaction is truly the best in the business. They really care.

So, I'm still 6-10 weeks away from getting my car. But I can't wait until it comes in!
  • hunter001hunter001 Member Posts: 851
    lenscap,

Sorry about your experience. I too would not want to part with my hard earned money, to do business with a sleazy dealership. But Lexus corporate ought to be given props for the proactive stand they took in making it up to a long-time customer, something I can't say about Acura.

Good luck with your car, when it comes in.

Later...AH
  • reddykreddyk Member Posts: 2
    My dealer said ES300 with NAV-ML can play a DVD movie (only when car is Parked). Did anyone try this?
  • mrzinjmrzinj Member Posts: 5
    reddyk,
    i tried this after reading your post and it was a no go. it was a bona fide store bought dvd (zeppelin's "the song remains the same" no less) but i received an error message saying it couldn't read the disk. what a shame!!

and lenscap!! oh, man is that a brutal story. you..one of the true lexus fans getting jerked around like that. i live in the chicago area as well and had 2 very nice experiences at mcgrath downtown and breneman (?sp). i ended up buying from mcgrath from mike moran who was stellar. he even drove a model out to my house in the burbs so my wife could drive. that cinched the dealer choice for me. the only bit of wheeling and dealing they tried was using a money factor of .0030. i knew southtrust bank in alabama was doing the lease deal for .00265 because i checked at breneman and they took out their leasing binder and showed me the info flat out. i went back to mcgrath and told them i needed the .00265 m.f. to do the deal and they said no problem. good for you for taking them to the mat for that. i shall forever steer clear of that dealership.
  • norcalmike2norcalmike2 Member Posts: 133
    Sorry to hear about your bad dealer experience Lenscap. If any of you Left Coasters want a GREAT dealer experience get hold of Marc Evans who is one of the Internet Managers at Longo Lexus in El Monte California. One phone call to Marc set the wheels in motion to locate my silver w/ light charcoal (which apparently is a very popular color combination). In less than a week he did his razz matazz. Long story short I will be flying down to southern California Saturday and picking up the car. No hassles, no gimmicks, all negotiations via phone and fax, and $2,100.00 below MSRP (could have even done better on a less popular color) to boot. Apparently Longo Lexus is the highest volume dealer on the west coast and they have a great selection. On a side note. Any of you folks have the HID headlights? Are they as good as Xenon?
  • szellersszellers Member Posts: 22
    I currently own a 99 3.2TL with 28,000 miles and am considering trading for the new ES300 or MB C240. I am torn between the two and am concerned about the quality I have been reading about with the C240. Living in the Orlando area, anyone have any comments on where I might get the best deal on the ES300? I am willing to travel within Central Florida to get the best deal. Any help or comments would be appreciated!
  • heatmiser1heatmiser1 Member Posts: 122
    I have not had the opportunity to compare the Mark Levinson sound systems with the base stereo system. Has anyone else? If so how do they compare? According to my local dealer in San Diego you can't get the Mark Levinson sound system without purchasing the Navigation package as well. Is this true?
    The available packages must depend on your area. Here in the Chicago area I have not seen one car with VSC regardless of what other equipment it has. That is one of the reasons I ordered a car, to get that feature (which is combined with TRAC and brake assist).
    szellers....I was originally going to buy a C320 but decided to wait and read more about it. My sister however, who lives in Sarasota, bought a C240 but complains about how it is underpowered and even worse when the A/C is running. Although the Benz is an excellent handling car (and I have an older model Benz), I have opted to go with the ES 300 which is a luxury sedan (which I will get early next year) as it offers outstanding reliability.
  • fifislxfifislx Member Posts: 3
    Just today took delivery of a new ES300 for my wife.Gilbert Cheng Internet, SM for Lexus of Glendale gave us the best price, hassle free and had the car in two days. He delivered it and took us all through the cars many features. If your shopping in the So. Cal area I can recommend Gilbert as a must contact. gilbertcheng@lexusofglendale.com
    I have made my decision to purchase the Lexus ES300. My initial view of the new body style was great until you got to the front end. I was turned off at first and didn't even bother test driving it initially. Since then it has grown on me to where I really like the look so I went and test drove it the other day. I have looked at just about everything other sedan in the $30K's out there and can't find a one that matches the luxury, comfort, reliability, dealer experience, customer service and residuals that the ES300 can provide. Sure the engine isn't the biggest but the it is smoth, proven and provides plenty enough to function properly on the road. The best deal I can find in San Diego, CA is $2,000 over invoice. Anyone finding better deals out there???
  • rnbesquirernbesquire Member Posts: 16
    Howdy:

NorcalMike wrote: Any of you folks have the HID headlights? Are they as good as Xenon?

I haven't owned a car with Xenons, so I can't compare, but I have the HIDs on my new ES, and am very pleased with them. I do a lot of driving on the outskirts of town, where there are no street lights. The brights really light up the night.

I was a little concerned, because I've read a lot of articles about proposed restrictions, or an outright ban on high-intensity headlights. The ES has an automatic tilt adjustment that assures you willl never sear the retinas of oncoming drivers. The beam is like a razor blade, with a slight slant upwards toward the right.

In two months of driving, I've not had one driver flash me while on lo-beams. Heaven help the guy who puts his brights in my eyes, tho'.

Frankly, on a car in this price range, I would have expected HIDs as standard, and not a $700 option, c.f., Infiniti I35, Acura 3.2TL-S... Regardless, I don't think I'd be happy without them; they were worth it.

So far, I have seen only 3 new ES's in the Phoenix area, and not one in black. I've gotten many compliments on my car, esp. since I put the GS chrome wheels on it. May sound silly, but I feel like I'm flying a stealth fighter. I put a frame on my rear license plate that says, "Too close for missiles... Switching to guns."

Cordially,
    RNBESQUIRE
  • vchengvcheng Member Posts: 1,284
    HID = High Intensity Discharge = Xenon headlamps, because the bulb discharges electricity at about 35,000 volts as an arc between electrodes in an atmosphere of inert Xenon gas to provide brilliant bluish white light.

There are many "fake" HID lamps out there, either halogen lamps of higher wattage, or a bluish tint to the glass cover to "feel" like true HIDs.
  • norcalmike2norcalmike2 Member Posts: 133
    heatmiser1: I'm flying down to Ontario this morning from Sacramento to pick up my silver w/ light charcoal. Hands down, Marc Evans at Longo Lexus in El Monte gave me the best price, OUTSTANDING service, and is very professional. I can't say enough good things about the dealer experience.

rnbesquire: Thanks for the information about the HID's. Living in a cow county, I am sure that I will appreciate that option real quick.

vcheng: Thanks also for the technical information about Xenon lights. Very informative.

New question: How do the HID's "self adjust" ?
    All I can find on the net is that some cars have air shocks to keep the car level under a heavy load thus keeping the headlights aligned properly.

Thanks folks. Gotta get ready for the airport shuttle!
  • vchengvcheng Member Posts: 1,284
    Each headlamp assembly has its own leveling system with a position sensor and a mechanism to lower or raise the beam aim. Various manufacturers use different approaches: one or two sensors, move reflector or lens or a subassembly, only lower beams if loaded heavily in the back (since they assume that the ride height will not change, so aftermarket suspension modifications that change the ride height differently in the front and back may have problems), automatic or user adjustable etc.
  • fredvhfredvh Member Posts: 857
    What did you think about the Infiniti I30 or the 35?

Could someone who owns a 2002 ES300 post some digital pictures on Town Hall of various angles of their new car? I am sure a number of us sure would appreciate it. What gasoline are you using (reg., mid, or premium)? Has anyone had any problems with their new car? Thanks.
    Test Drove the ES300 this evening and the sales associate informed us that the ES300 runs on Regular Gas.

I'm undecided between the 02' ES300 and the 02' I35. The ES300 is definitely more comfortable, the I35 is quicker. Considering the TL-S as well, but the back seat seems small on the TL.

Decisions, decisions.
  • afinegoldafinegold Member Posts: 57
    On my ES300, I was initially disappointed with the HIDs--not with their intensity, but with the fact that they didn't seem tilted up high enough to light the road very far ahead. Taking the advice of one of the posters here, I asked the Lexus dealer, at my 1,000 mile complimentary service, to raise the headlights up to the maximum permissible level.

They did it, and WOW!, what a difference. Although they may have raised them only a couple of degrees or so, it seemed to about double the distance that the lights shined. I'm really glad I asked them to do it, and even happier that they did it and didn't give me an argument.

I too have had virtually no flashing from oncoming drivers since I've had the car, so I'm satisfied that they're at a safe but much more effective level.

Also, have those of you with HIDs noticed that the "brights" are not HIDs, but conventional lighting? At least mine are.

Al--
  • greasykid1greasykid1 Member Posts: 336
    e mail me for complete information.

golfcat@vcitynet.com.
  • hk2lahk2la Member Posts: 53
    I ordered a Millenium Silver/Light Charcoal with Premium/HID/Wood. In L.A. area, you also have to purchase Cargo Net/Trunk Mat/Wheel Locks (not much $). I really wanted VSC, but I'd either have to get Navigation or wait 3 months, so decided not to wait that long. Plus, sales tax is going up again on Jan. 1. Got mine for $1,000 over invoice.
    What dealer did you order your ES300 through in LA? I am in the market and the best I have found is $2,000 over invoice...
  • aggie76aggie76 Member Posts: 266
    Ok folks, time to replace my '98 GS300 company car. Would never have considered old ES but hear new one is closer to GS in interior size and luxury. RWD vs FWD and probable relo to Chicagoland in next 10 months from TX has me tempted to go after ES instead. Any one with insight/advice???
  • duhblecduhblec Member Posts: 7
    First, I have seen a lot of talk about gas mileage. I just bought my son a 2001 Malibu LS that was rated at 20 mpg in the city. I told him he had to pay for his own gas and since then he has devised a way of driving that gets him 25 mpg (that is what the car is rated for highway driving) and he travels 40 miles a day through the city. I think it is incredible that a 16 year-old can avoid a lead foot, let alone use a type of coasting method to get better mpg than the sticker says.

Next. I own a 2002 CL Type-S and the maintenance charges are outrageous IMO. If I take it into the dealership to do the service they have to do everything it says in the book at when all is done, it comes out to about $500—and they really don’t do that much. I have never purchased a Lexus before but I am strongly considering the ES300 as an X-Mass gift to myself. What is they maintenance like on this car? Also, what are you opinions about it compared to other luxury cars in the market? Are you happy with your decision?

Thanx for all the help!
  • duhblecduhblec Member Posts: 7
    I don't know where those numbers came from, I didn't type them!!!!
  • afinegoldafinegold Member Posts: 57
    You'll find that Lexus dealers charge high prices for service also, though not as high as the $500 you've posted for your CL. My nearest Lexus dealer charges $135 for the routine 7,500 or 10,000 mile service (the 1,000 and 5,000 mile services are complimentary.)

However, with the Lexus, you can also take it to a Toyota dealer and get the same service (oil change, tire rotation, check levels, etc., etc.) for about 1/2 price, and you're still taking it to an authorized dealer. You won't get the car wash and vacuum that Lexus provides, but the $70-$75 difference will buy a lot of car washes!!

The Toyota dealer I use said they will tell me when they don't think they should work on my ES300 (they mentioned electrical diagnosis, exotic repairs, replace timing belt, etc.) but fortunately I haven't had any of those and hope I don't for a long time.

Al--
    I want to get the Lexus Platinum extended warranty for my new 2002 ES 300 (7 years/100,000 miles). Since this can be purchased at any dealer, can any of you recommend a dealer to buy this from (one that you've dealt with the warranty guy)?

The Lexus web site says the warranty is $1375. I've gotten two prices: $1425 and $1290.

Thanks.
  • hunter001hunter001 Member Posts: 851
    Where in the heavens did you pay $500 for your CL service ?!!! I pay about $23 for regular service (oil changes), for which I receive the oil change, a loaner car and a free car wash (which I decline) and a vacuum (which I accept). If I decide to wait for the service, there is free coffee and doughnuts, along with free outlets to power laptops and free telephones (local calls).

For a major service like the 15,000 mile service, it costed me about $188, which is not that un-reasonable, because that includes a lot of things.

Later...AH
This discussion has been closed.