Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Lexus ES 300/ES 330

Comments

• aggie76aggie76 Member Posts: 266
    Where is dealer where you got that deal of $1,500 off MSRP? Options are exactly what I am looking to order but am pushed higher on pricing and told by sales can't get without ML/Nav.
  • syluisylui Member Posts: 5
    My dealer is from Fairfax, VA. Actually I used autobytel.com and then contacted by this dealership, this quote was better than another Internet quote by $100. This dealer told me the options came with it are pretty much the same as other customer wants, but if you want a specific list of options, they need to special order one, ie, if you want those options plus ML, yes, you can but just need to wait a bit longer. Good Luck!
  • patpat Member Posts: 10,421
    Hi all,

A reporter is trying to find consumers who've traded up from mass-market brands (e.g. Toyota, Chevy, Ford, etc.) to luxury nameplates. He says, "I'm not looking for lottery winners, just regular folks who wanted more car." If you have a story to share, please send it to me at jfallon@edmunds.com. It is helpful for you to include your e-mail, phone number and city/state of residence when you respond. Deadline for submission to this one is March 6. Thanks as always for your input!

Very best,

Jeannine Fallon
    PR Director
    Edmunds.com
  • mbbenzmbbenz Member Posts: 47
    my brother got a 2002 ES300 for $750 off MSRP at Lexus of Watertown, 10 minutes west of Boston.
  • sh12345sh12345 Member Posts: 1
    I'm planning on ordering a 2002 ES300 in a few weeks and would like owners' opinions on the value of two options that I am considering: The Vehicle Skid Control option (I live in New England), and the High-Intensity Discharge Headlamps. Are they worth the cost? Thanks.
  • rebelskrebelsk Member Posts: 65
    I got the car with both the VSC and the HID headlights. The VSC you dont notice until you skid bit when it happens that you are sliding and VSC corrects the skid, you are grateful that you have it. I live in New England and with the winter driving, it is worth having. The headlights are without a doubt a option to get. The view of the road is much better than standard lights and I think they make quite a difference.
  • antiosamaantiosama Member Posts: 62
    mbbenz, Thanks. I'll forward that info. to my friend. I doubt he'll go for that though. I think he wants more like $2,000 off of MSRP on a loaded ES300. I think it stickers for about $39.3 Grand.
  • afinegoldafinegold Member Posts: 57
    I'm going on a 500 mile trip soon in my 2000 ES300, and have used regular unleaded gas for the past 2 years with nary a ping or any other problem. But with the price of gas so low now (99 cents a gallon near me in the Seattle area), I thought I might try a couple of tanks of unleaded plus or premium to see if it makes any difference in performance, smoothness, quietness, acceleration, or whatever.

Questions:
    (1) should I try unleaded plus or premium?
    (2) for most likely differences, should I try using the higher grade of gas around town or on the highway?

Thanks for any knowledgeable suggestions.

Al--
  • ferrari308ferrari308 Member Posts: 1
    We recently purchased a Starlight Pearl ES300 for my wife. It has the VSC and HID headlights. She really loves the headlights. The Skid control option is nice for winter driving. This car also came with the ML stereo w/o Navigation. It is an option that we didn't really care about at the time but are really enjoying the superior sound quality. Our recommendation is to go with the Skid control and the headlights, you won't be sorry!
    Chris
  • fredvhfredvh Member Posts: 857
    It was nice to hear from you again. What kind of gas mileage are you getting on you ES300?
    You certainly could try the mid-grade or premium but unless you took two identical trips you could not tell if it really made a difference in the miles-per-gallon. That is physically possible but hard to do. Road and temperature and other ingredients would just not be the same. If I had an ES300 I probably would use the mid-grade all of the time. It is cheaper than premium but yet better than the 87 regular. The 3.0 motor adjusts to the different grades of gasoline so one could find it extremely difficult to tell the difference in performance. Good luck if you decide to try and let us know concerning your "tests".
  • crazy4carscrazy4cars Member Posts: 3
    Well, I've sat on the sidelines of this string for the past few months while passively pondering my next vehicle. Turning the big 4-0 this spring and feeling the need to blow some cash and upgrade the wheels. This will (likely) be my first adventure into lexusville. Currently driving a 2k Max, and aside from the ho-hum styling, has been an excellent ride for the dough with only one issue to date (rotor warpage).
    Now having perused all of the brochures and DVD on the new ES(the DVD doesn't cut it, and the brochure is a bit long on "lifestyle" and short on substance), I took my inaugural test drive at my local chicagoland dealer..... Here's my thoughts, and ultimately why I will not be purchasing:

> Very quiet and smooth
    > Gauges are outstanding-very high-end
    > Superior fit and finish
    > Cup-holders fragile and ill-placed
    > No room for junk-cell phone, etc- big minus IMO
    >>> But here's the show stopper- Seats are way too small and adjustments are no help.

I have owned many, many cars over the years and I have learned my lesson on seat comfort. Once I sit in a car the very first time, it's yes or no immediately. The length is too short (I'm 6'2") and I couldn't even see the seat on either side of my butt. I am surprised that this issue has not come up on this string..... I walked across the showroom and sat in the GS300 and what a world of difference. Seats are perfect. Now I just have to re-think the money equation. I would be interested if any one else shares my opinion on the ES, which is otherwise a great car.
    Thanks for your input on the ES300. I test drove one a few months ago and did not notice a seat problem but I am 5'10" and 180 lbs. You seem to be quite an expert on cars. Please try out the Acura TL and the Infiniti I35 and give us your opinion of those two. I would be interested in your opinion. Have you tried any American cars like the Olds Aurora, Buick Regal, etc? I am also looking and listening for new car information for a purchase later this year or next. The problem I have with the Lexus is that they want MSRP and the cars on the lot are 35k plus and that just is too much for that car when you can get so many other models for less-Acura TL,Infiniti I35, Olds Aurora, etc. I do want a reliable car but one that gets reasonably good gas mileage and I hear that complaint frequently concerning the ES300. I realize that the Toyota Camry is not in the same class as the ES300 but maybe that is a better solution. Let me know what you think.
  • crazy4carscrazy4cars Member Posts: 3
    I was very close to purchasing a 2k I30 instead of my Max GLE. I really liked the upscale interior and gauges, but it came down to attitude (which is exactly the same situation with the new ES). It just goes against my soul to pay any dealer MSRP. To not budge off of that is a complete insult, IMO. I'm hearing it all over again.... "sell every one before it hits the lot", "hottest thing since sliced bread", "sorry, no deals"----- spare me the speal----

As for the other choices out there, the new I35 is a very nice freshening of the 2k I30, and yes, the seats are excellent. Only problem is the model's state of the union......it's looking like another complete re-do perhaps as soon as '03, or definitely by '04. That along with the intro of the G35 and underselling Q45, it just seems that infiniti hasn't cracked the code on dialing in the I35 as it stands today. Plus, say goodbye to any resale value. It garners no more than my Max. Still a very nice ride if you don't care about the market longevity.
    A friend of mine owns a TL, and it's....okay... just doesn't get me that excited.

Again, I'm really disappointed on the ES seat issue, and I have to fight talking myself out of the purchase, but I know I'll be kicking myself on the first long drive. This actually might end up in my favor, as the dealer seems very interested in making a deal for the GS300. The only concern there is an impending redesign for late '03 as a '04 model. But I think the car has some timeless class to the current design.
  • kreativkreativ Member Posts: 299
    I agree that if the seat isn't comfortable the moment you sit in it, and doesn't get much better after you fiddle with the adjustments, don't get that car!
    I find the seat comfortable, and Lexus claims the front seat has an active suspension system. But everybody's different.

Personally, I would wait until the new GS comes out before purchasing it. Seeing the kind of luxury upgrades given to the '02 ES, I can only expect the same for the next GS. And buying the first year of the a new generation allows for your car to stay current for the next 5 years. The untrained eye won't be able to tell your '04 GS apart from an '08 GS, but would easily be able to tell apart the "old" '03 GS vs. the '04 GS.
    On the other hand, the nice thing about Lexus designs is they don't ever look or feel "outdated" (except for the ES250). Even the '90 LS400 looks modern 12 years later. And the benefit of buying at the tail end of the current generation is that you can get a very good price (I could've gotten the GS for below invoice).
    But for the GS, I would still wait because I feel Lexus will make significant upgrades to the interior. And you never know how the exterior will look until they introduce it.
  • rustyhingerustyhinge Member Posts: 6
    My first time to this forum - I have never owned a Lexus. I am looking for some feedback from someone who has a new ES300 and has previously owned an LS400. I had for quite some time been planning on buying a Certified 1999 or 2000 LS400. Last week my wife and I test drove the new ES300 and a 2000 LS400. My wife really liked the ES300 - I did too - but I am still very slightly leaning toward the LS400.

I thought the 2000 LS400 had a somewhat smoother ride and was a bit quieter than the 2002 ES300. The price of a new loaded ES300 and the Certified LS400 is about the same.

How about some feedback from some of you out here that have a feel for both. How do you think the resale value of the two would stack up against each other after 2 years? If I go for the ES300 I would probably look at trading for a Certified LS430 in 2-3 years.
  • hunter001hunter001 Member Posts: 851
    If I go for the ES300 I would probably look at trading for a Certified LS430 in 2-3 years.

In which case, I would go for a certified 2000 ES300, save a bunch of money (when compared to a new 2002 ES300), and then trade-up to the LS430 in 2-3 years. Or maybe lease a new ES300, since it is only for a short period, and then buy the LS430, once the lease is up.

Later...AH
  • buckejitbuckejit Member Posts: 1
    Hi Folks:

Does anyone know whether or not you can get a factory rear wing spoiler for the ES300?

Many thanks.
  • bexleybexley Member Posts: 10
    I spent my Saturday afternoon cruising around town to different luxury car dealers trying to locate a new vehicle for my wife. She currently has a 98 Camry LE V6 which she is very happy with, but she's ready to step up to something alittle nicer. We're looking Japanese because of previous luck, and also high levels of quality for affordable prices (European is just too expensive). We narrowed are choices down to the Acura TL, Lexus ES300, Infiniti I35, and Mazda Millenia. I've included my ranking and impressions (see if you agree).

4. Mazda Millenia: I think that the Millenia is a good car, and to the uninformed, it does impress. It has the right luxury features, decent power, good handling, good fuel economy. The car doesn't feel particularly luxurious, feels on par with the Camry my wife currently drives, but we both liked the style of it. The price is also the cheapest. The dealer was willing to sell me at $27000 for a fully loaded Millenia S. Seems like a good deal, then I did alittle research since my visit to the dealer and learned that the car is an 8 year old design, that is being phased out of production. Bottomline: Millenia is retiring, and just can't compete with the others, a better option for someone considering a Camry or Accord alternative.

3. Infinit I35. My wife and I both liked the luxury features of the Infiniti, it had alot of things the others do not (heated steering wheel, 17-in wheels, spoiler). The car also had the biggest engine (which makes me worry about fuel economy), and is probably the fastest. Styling was also attractive. Pricing was decent (dealer would go around $33k loaded). Overall, the car gave a good impression, until we went next door to the Nissan dealer and saw the exact same car called the Maxima. Infiniti did not do enough to differentiate this car from the Maxima. Bottom-line: The I30 leaves a good first impression, but after awhile feels like a Maxima with a different grill and a few added luxury touches.

2. Acura TL. Probably the sportiest of the bunch, luxury seemed like it was kinda added to this sporty sedan. The quality seemed excellent and all the controls and switches had a comfortable familiar feel to them. The styling was attractive, but forgettable. The engine performance was very smooth and powerful. Pricing was decent ($30k loaded, however the dealer would not bargain). Again, as with the Infiniti...I get the impression that I'm driving a Honda product, the vehicle just didn't have the luxury feel that I would be paying for. Bottom-line: The top of the line Honda Accord.

1. Lexus ES300. Probably, the most attractive of the cars and the only one that did not feel like a nicer version of a midlevel sedan. The car just had a consistent luxury feel to it in the way it drove in the test drive, and the high quality of materials and leather. The car was not very sporty, but as a luxury car, I don't think it is supposed to be. The car also had all of the right luxury touches of the others combined into one car. I also thought that it is probably the largest and roomiest of all. Pricing is where things get alittle stickier, for all the good, you have to pay the price ($35k loaded dlr willing to budge alittle off the sticker). Bottom-line: Feels a class higher than the others, but at a price almost as high.

This week my wife has to do some major deciding, is the added luxury of the Lexus worth the price, or can she live with a more mid-level feeling sedan with luxury features tacked on such as the Acura. Stay tuned....
  • lexus1lexus1 Member Posts: 14
    Sprinkled through the last month or so have been a number of questions and comments about the new 5 speed auto. I picked up my ES Friday night -starlight Pearl, Premium package, HID, WU, heated seats and sunshade--so will give a first opinion. On Saturday I took a drive of about 100 miles to try everything out. At first, I noticed the problems some have reported--the slushy shifts between 1-2 and 2-3. However, within about 5 minutes and stopping for 5 lights, I noticed that I did not notice the shift any more. So, for me, it was a case of the tranny learning how I leave from a stop. Now it gets interesting. The next place I had to stop, I had to goose it across 3 lanes of traffic and the tranny got a bit confused...not wanting to hold first or second long enough since it now knew that I was not a lead-foot. This is where I wish for the old PWR setting that used to be in Camrys.

Other than the tranny, I had no issue with the car. I also did not hear the hiss in the Premium sound system that some had reported, so maybe they've fixed it (car manufactured in early January).

The seats did feel a bit small after two hours but still comfortable. And the color(s) really turned heads. It's baby blue in direct sunlight, turning silver in shade and soft silver in clouds. Very cool. Put a fresh coat of MacGuires (SP?)on it since the car was fresh out of the plastic wrap and it really shines -- great finish, unlike some of the finishes I noticed on the TL-S when I was shopping.
  • clarkramclarkram Member Posts: 7
    bexley: I would agree with your comparisons. As an I30 owner (99) and a new ES300 (02) owner I think the ES has the looks to differentiate from the pack.
    One thing I will say about Infiniti, when I bought mine in 99 one reason was because the I30 had a 4 yr 60k warranty, this was not true of the Maxima, and my experience with Infiniti service has been great, certainly several cuts above a Nissan dealer.
    I hope that Lexus can match the level of service that I have gotten used to with Infiniti. Time will tell, only have 900 miles on the car and I love it.

Clark
    Oh, I'm sure you'll be quite happy with Lexus service. After all, their service prices are a rip-off. I'm not sure how Lexus service prices compare to Infiniti dealers' though. But I'm getting a little tired of my local Lexus dealer sending me "discount" coupons for $50 oil changes (same price as without the stupid coupon).
  • clarkramclarkram Member Posts: 7
    kreativ: what part of the country are you in? $50 for an oil change is a rip. I'm in Atlanta, Infiniti generally will do this and wash the car for $29.
    Clark
    I'm in southern California. Prices for an oil change at Lexus dealers range from $40-50, same for tire rotation.
  • rushhourrushhour Member Posts: 2
    Looking for opinions on the Vehicle Skid Control option. Is it worth the $650 MSRP? Does it really make a difference? Don't have any snow or ice to deal with where I live, just rain. My commute is roughly 100 miles round-trip each day. Generally seems like a good safety feature to have just in case, but does it really do much, and are there any downs sides? Checked to see if my insurance company would give me any type of a discount if I had it, and the answer was no. Kind of makes me wonder.

I saw an earlier posting that said you don't really notice it until you need it, but the question is would you really ever need it much, or is it just an unnecessary and expensive option. I think it comes standard on the GS and SC, so you would think it is a worthwhile feature. I am ordering a 2002 ES300 with premium package and HID, but haven't decided on the VSC. Any help would be appreciated.
    I didn't know about this until I flipped through the owner's manual again, but the digital compass needs some calibrating to be accurate...basically setting the region you're in and driving around in a circle a couple times. Instructions are in the owner's manual.
  • ruggedlandruggedland Member Posts: 13
    I think your comparisons are right on. I just picked up my 02 Lexus the past Saturday (Silver Metallic with PP, HID, Heated Seats, VSC) for $34,500 plus DH ($299). Before that I spent about a month going thru all the cars in this segment (BWM 325/330, AUDI A4, Acura TL-S, etc). In the end I decided to pick Lexus for the overall package and luxury. My previous car is a 96 Honda Accord, and naturally I thought long and hard about moving up to the Acura, but in the end the lack of head room (I'm 6 feet tall) turned me away. The German cars are more fun to drive, but they are generally smaller in size, and reliability is still an issue. I want a car that's comfortable to drive and will last a long time, and you can hardly beat a Lexus in this regard.

Good luck in your selection.
  • ruggedlandruggedland Member Posts: 13
    I personally think VSC is well worth the extra money. It includes both skid and traction control, and it'll definitely come in handy when you drive in snow or heavy rain. Local dealers told me cars equiped with this option sell much faster that those without, but then again I live in Denver.
    I live in SoCal, so I didn't even consider VSC. But if I lived in an area that snowed or rained frequently, I'd defintely get VSC. The VSC comes with TRAC and Brake Assist as well.
  • modvptnlmodvptnl Member Posts: 1,352
    Kevin, thanks for the back up. LOL!!! Anti, could of got the TL type S for the same price($100 over) but they didn't have one with NAV.

It was all moot anyway after the Mrs. drove the 2002 ES.

Will probably schedule the 5000 mile check up this week and get the recalls handled.
  • rushhourrushhour Member Posts: 2
    Thanks for your thoughts on the VSC option folks. Placing the order for the car tomorrow, and will probably add it on. I'll check this site in the AM in case anyone else out there offers more input. The TRAC definitely sounds like a plus, but I'm not too familiar with the Brake Assist. Anyone ever have that or the VSC actually kick in on their ES yet?
  • citybeancountcitybeancount Member Posts: 2
    I just purchased a new 2002 ES300 (silver exterior/gray interior) on Saturday. For those of you in the TX, LA, OK, MO, NM area Do yourself a favor and go to Park Place Lexus in Dallas. They are located within visual of DFW airport.

Contact is Don_Eichorst@ParkPlaceTexas.com...No, I have absolutely no business connection with this dealer, didn't know them at all before last week. Don is the internet sales rep...

I had been researching this car since October. Followed all the Edmunds postings. Did not want to pay sticker on this or any other car. I wanted best price possible and contacted all TX, LA, NM dealers via e mail... PPL came in at $2,000 below sticker, which is best price I think you will find outside of So Cal..

This is a very professional organization. No hassle or playing games. Did everything they said they would. Car was extremely well prepared. All went very smoothly. Drove it the 4 hours back home and am very pleased.

Drove the Infiniti I-35 for comparison. The Lexus excels at being a luxury car. Interior, features make you feel you are in a much more expensive vehicle. Great road car, quiet comfortable. Not a car you buy for performance.

I will keep you all posted on how it proceeds...
  • shimingshiming Member Posts: 3
    I really enjoy reading everyone's opinions about how they feel about the new Lexus ES300 (good and bad).
    I started shopping for a new car since last September, and I have tested drive BMW 325, 525, X5 3.0, Infiniti I35, Lexus RX300, and the new ES300. I never wanted to test drive a Acura TL (or TL-S) because I still own a 02' RL which is really a nice car. My final decision is down to the new ES300 because it has the best combination of luxury, modern style, engineering, and quality. The I35 was close for the race, it has very nice V6 engine, but not quite reach the level of Lexus design, simple and luxury.
    I live in the Bay Area of N. CA, and original I had a good deal with one of the Lexus dealer, but they screwed up the order, I was very upset about it, I even called up Lexus Corp to complain about it. I then start sending out price quotes to several S. CA Lexus dealers, Longo Lexus is the one who was willing to sell me the car with the price I was willing to pay for.
    I ordered a Mystic Gold one with fully loaded model (NAV/ML, HID, heated seats, AVS, etc.) last November, and picked up the car at the dealer on 2/2/02. I paid over 3K off MSRP which I think it was really a good deal. To order the car at the right time with a good sales person is the key to get a good price, not sure whether they are still willing to sell it for that price though.
    By the way, is there any of the new ES300 owners experiencing brake pedal noise when you step on the brake or release it? The noise was not very loud, but noticeable. It is like the end of the pedal is knocking something. My Acura RL has no noise at all. I checked with the dealer during my 1K checkup, and they said they double check with 2 other new ES, they all have the same noise, so they think it is normal. I am still not convinced.
    Beside this little issue, I am really enjoying the car a lot.
  • lexus1lexus1 Member Posts: 14
    I would suggest that what you are feeling is your ABS going on too soon (unless you're doing a lot of panic stops on wet ground!). I have a new 2002 (mfg in Jan) and have felt none of that so far.
    I enjoyed reading your post but I was a little confused concerning this statement: " I never wanted to test-drive an Acura TL because I still own a RL which is really a nice car". What do you mean by that statement? Is the TL a bad car or was it that you did not want two Acuras in your household?
    fredvh:
    First of all, I need to correct my mistake in my statement, I have a 00" RL, not a 02" RL. I cannot say TL is not a good car, I used to drive the last generation of 3.2TL, and then switched to the RL because the build quality of the RL is much, much better than the current TL if you are not so much care about the horse power, and the lease rate of the RL was very attractive.
    When the new TL was out on the market the first year, I was disappointed because it lost what Acura used to have in their earlier models, luxury, build quality, and styling. The TL is just too much alike the Accord, IMO.
    If Acura can build a near-entry luxury car so eye-catching like the ES300 and luxury feel, why would you pay extra money for the Lexus, right? Having two Acuras is not my concern, it is the Lexus build quality and design that win my final decision.
  • aimanaiman Member Posts: 61
    If you live in Texas (or neighboring states), especially in D/FW, don't forget to drop by Sewell Lexus near Love Field on Lemonn road. I have no business relation with Sewell dealership but I have read Carl Sewell's book, "Customers for Life." If they practice what the book says, you're in for a very fine treatment.

I live in Houston, btw. After I read the book, I went to see his dealer when I got the chance to go to Dallas with my fiance. Dallas is my favorite city in the world.
    lexus1: Thanks for your information about the brake. I definitely will bring my ES to another dealer for checkup again. The brake noise exists without even starting the car, so I think the ABS should not be on at that moment. Plus I don't have to press the brake very hard to hear the noise, the noise can also be heard when I release the brake.
    I am wondering whether it has something to do with the brake pedal mechanic assembly. If any of the dealers can fix the problem, I will let you know about the cause.
    Thanks for the explanation. I am also concerned with dependability and build quality on a new car. It probably is my number one consideration but I do not want to pay $100,000 to have to get it either. I am considering a new vehicle in the next 12 months or so. I am considering the ES300, Acura TL, Infiniti, Buick Regal, and the Olds Aurora. As stated before I consider quality and dependability to be of upmost importance. Please let us know how the ES300 is progressing as the miles roll on. I would like to know what kind of gas mileage you will be getting also as I have heard of low mpg even with the 5-speed auto.
    Has anyone heard that the supposed "sludge" problem affects the ES300 engine? I have not heard enough about this problem to know the answer.
  • bolbol Member Posts: 7
    It has been more than 3 weeks since I dropped my car to the dealer to fix the engine whistling noise problem. I was told that they replaced the throttle body and I was supposed to pick up the car last Friday after the final inspection. But nobody had called me so far to tell me the status. So for those who believe in Lexus quality, this is a BIG alarm to you. You may end up with a lemon like me too. I am really frustrated.
  • tk_dettk_det Member Posts: 21
    This question is for 2002 ES300 owners with the Nav system. In the top left corner of the screen just below the compass, there is a small rectangular box with the letters "GPS" which appears when the car has acquired a good GPS signal. Does that box stay all the time in your cars or does it appear and dissappear intermittently?

Thanks
  • hk2lahk2la Member Posts: 53
    I've never had it on any car and am considering it now. I read the articles here about the new Alpine and other systems, but not really willing to pay the extra $$. I know it depends on individual needs, etc., but wanted to solicit some general thoughts from people who have installed it on their vehicles, or specific experience if you've unfortunately have had to use it. Thanks.
  • texas83texas83 Member Posts: 107
    Hi Citybeancount,

Thanks for the post. Hope you're checking back. I was wondering where you live. I live in Houston and have started looking around. They all want sticker here. Just curious, because Houston is about 4 hours from Dallas. Just curious where all you looked.
  • toyotas1toyotas1 Member Posts: 134
    When will the Es get the new 3.3L engine with some balls to it? If they rest on there laurels too long, it will be swallowed up by the TL and new G35.
    Lexus has things planned out very well for the ES model, in terms of their bottom line. ES350 w/ 3.5L engine will be introduced sometime during this 5-year design generation, similar to the I30 getting a 3.5L engine (and being called the I35) as a mid-generation refreshening. How soon or late the ES350 will be introduced will probably depend on how well the new ES continues to sell. Right now, it's outselling all of its competitors by a good margin.

I don't think Lexus will ever worry about the TL, unless Acura suddenly ups their brand prestige and injects more luxury into that car.

The G35 is a competitor to the IS300, and a very good one. The IS will have some catching up to do.
  • citybeancountcitybeancount Member Posts: 2
    here is how I bought the car: I e mailed all 18 texas dealers, also New Orleans. Address to Internet Sales Manager.

Also Phoenix and Las Vegas (could combine visit with purchase). I decided not to go to Los Angeles. Would require a trip out there and shipping/driving it back which will cost at least a thousand. Tack that on to a thousand over invoice (they will sell for that) and you have a comparable cost of 2k over invoice--which is what I got my Lexus for in Dallas.

I was a cash buyer. No trade in. But Park Place Lexus said they would have done the same deal if you finance. The deal will come if they have the car on the lot or are getting it in. Park Place was agressive on price from the first. They have the volume. Had 5 ES300s lined up for delivery just in the day I was up there.

Make your deal over the internet. Ask for VIN Number, copy of Lexus Invoice, showing optional equipment to be faxed to you. Statement of mileage. handwritten offer on the invoice, which you will sign as accepted and fax back.

I live in Austin-- a place you would never want to buy any car, much less a Lexus. No competition. I even went to Houston to buy a jeep.

If you are ready to do it, this is the way to go. But don't do it if you are in the "thinking about it" mode (too much work...) Good luck, hope this helps...
  • toyotas1toyotas1 Member Posts: 134
    The next RX will get 3.3L, and the IS will also inherit this engine. Who said that displacement would increase almost 20%? The Camry/Sienna/Solara/GS al would inherit this new engine (in varying power levels). Who's you source on that?
  • rebelskrebelsk Member Posts: 65
    When will the GS series be completely redone and when will the next version of the RX-300 be coming out? When will we get an indication of what they look like? Thanks
  • lenscaplenscap Member Posts: 854
    Well, I finally picked up my 2002 ES 300 over the weekend. It took several months, but the car was definitely worth the wait. My car is Millennium Silver with a black interior with NAV/ML, HID lights, AVS, VSC, heated seats, wood wheel and sunshade.

So far, the car is great. I love it so much more than my previous 1995 ES 300 (and I loved that one too).

I'll give more details later this week.
  • lenscaplenscap Member Posts: 854
    For what it's worth, my dealer said the next RX will be out next spring (2003) as a 2004. It will NOT have a third seat as have some have suggested. That role will be left up to the new GX 470.

The new GS is due out next fall (2003), also as a 2004. In all likelihood there will be an all-wheel drive version.
This discussion has been closed.