Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Lexus ES 300/ES 330

Comments

• lievliev Member Posts: 93
    It was funny- I mean about your and your wife's C's. Anyways, mine is a 2001, that's why I tried to ignore that problem and thought it was just me. I'll bring my car in to the dealer this Wed.
  • sddlwsddlw Member Posts: 361
    I wouldn't expect the ES300 to be as peppy as the latest Acura CL or TL are, but it sounds like you've got a probelm. I'm not a mechanic, but I think it could be any number of things including the fuel line or the electronic igition module. Does it do the same thing if you put the transmission in the 3 position (or turn off the overdrive in the newer models?) Does a couple of tanks of premium gas help?
    are you talking about when the transmission is in its third gear? I can feel it every time the car changes its gear. Never try to turn the OD off 'cause I don't even know where the problem is or what it is either. I always use Exxon or Amoco 93, even in my old cars. I'll update with you guys later after I bring my car in to the dealer this wed.
  • turbotcturbotc Member Posts: 163
    I honestly don't think you have any problems whatsoever. Our 99 ES300 and 00 Mercedes "hesitate" a little when you punch the accelerator as well. Half like a half second, it takes off. But let's see what your dealer says.
  • rickc5rickc5 Member Posts: 378
    You may be unknowingly invoking your traction control, if you are "stomping" on the gas pedal. If the traction control detects wheelspin, it brakes the spinning wheel(s), which feels like someone threw out an anchor.

Try switching off the traction control and see if that makes any difference. Otherwise take the car to the dealer.

My '97 ES accellerates promptly from a stop, provided I have good traction.
    Yes, if you turn the OD off, the car should behave in a much sportier manner. Turning off the traction control as rickc5 suggests also should allow a more "sporty" drive. You may squeel your tires though. Actually, I like turning these features off when I'm tooling around town. I probably sacrifice a couple MPG with overdrive off, but the car is more fun to drive. As turbotc points out, few cars have instantaneous response, but the way you described your problem it sounded like more than momentary hesitation.
    Even you don't turn off you OD or TC the your cars don't behave like mine either, right? I certainly hope that there is nothing wrong either but I decided to bring it to the dealer to see what they have to say.
  • hoang4hoang4 Member Posts: 10
    hi everyone
    Im looking to buy a 97-98 ES300 very soon. I need ideas on a good price (i've seen a 97 with 34K miles for $23500)reliability, and any input that owners may have. I'm relatively young and when I went to the Lexus deler to look at one, I did not get good service. THe salesman wanted me to initial an offer i made and hold me bound by it. The dealer was LEXUS OF ROCKVILLE in Maryland. Arrogance and poor customer service has me taking my business elsewhere. Thanks for the input.
    Prices will vary by condition, mileage, year model, options, even color (popular or not)! Also dealers will have to charge more to make a profit and stay in business, and to cover the costs of making the car ready for their lot, and any warrantee that might come with the car (actual or implied). The best thing is to look at a couple of different dealers cars to get an idea of what options are available, what you like and don't like, then go on-line and look up estimated value (both wholesale and retail) from several sources. I like edmunds.com, nada.com, carprices.com, carprice.com, kbb.com to name a few. KBB (Kelly Blue Book) is really geared for the dealer and gives somewhat inflated retail prices. You should be able to negotiate 10-15% off these prices. Then check your local paper and Auto Trader publications to get an idea of what people are asking.

If you purchase through the dealer you will expect to pay at least the median between wholesale and retail so somewhere around NADA retail but not quite KBB retail. If you purchase private party I'd look to pay up to 1/2 way between wholesale and retail, depending on the car. Expect to pay more than wholesale though, if it is a low milage, recent year model car.

If you purchase a car from a private party I would highly recomend you have an independant machanic who you trust give the car a complete physical, and expect to pay him for it. Purchasing a car through the dealer, especially if the dealer warrants the car would avoind the necessity of this. Only buy a car where all of the maintanance receipts are available and will be provided to you.

I'm glad to hear you didn't let the sales guy push you around. You did the right thing by walking out.
    I also had bad experience with Lexus of Rockville where I got my car. Lexus of Silver Spring has the best customer service but they did not have a 2001 or a diamond white 2000 for me at that time and I really needed a car back then (sold my car before buying the ES300 otherwise could not afford it). You can also try Lindsay's Lexus, they're pretty good too in customer service. As far as price goes, call MVCP.com (??? could be MCVP) or UBS if you are a credit union member. They can give you a prenegotiated price and a referral. Also try Lexus of Silver Spring to see if what they have to offer you. Ask to talk to the general manager Mike or salesman Jason at Lexus of Silver Spring and tell them that Julie (Lan Lam's friend) refers you there. I think you'll able to get a decent price...(But still you don't have to pay for more than what you want to pay). Good luck!
    I brought my car in. Another service advisor told me right after I described the problem that the condition I experience with my car is normal in the 2000 and 2001 model. He said older cars used to have a string to open the valve in the fuel line so when you step on the gas pedal after stopping at a traffic light, the string pull the valve open. Now, the newer models have computerized gas valve or he calls it as "one-wire drive"??? There is a sensor near your gas, when you step on it, it measures the force then sends a signal to the computer to determine how much the gas pedal has been depressed and to determine how quick you can go. He says there is a delay in this process and the car would normally jerk. He said if I play with the gas pedal, I will get used to it as I would figure out how hard I should push the gas pedal to make the car go smoothly. He said by turning off the OD or trac would not make any difference in this case. Well, I guess I'll have to get used to it then. I wish I knew that it was normal so that I didn't have to go there. But my other service advisor didn't know (she is a girl too.)

does anyone that owns a 2000 or 2001 have the same experience with your cars?

It seemed to be noisy inside my car this morning. I "burped" my car and it seemed to work.
  • kb5psfkb5psf Member Posts: 2
    My Lexus dealer valued my 1999 LS-300 30K miles Excellent condition at $22,000 trade in. Ughhh. I'm gonna drive it forever now (was looking at LS-430's).

The dealer has excellent customer service, but ya gotta pay for it.
  • kb5psfkb5psf Member Posts: 2
    You'd think I'd know my own car. It's an ES-300, 31k miles, not LS300 (i've got LS on the brain).
    I drove a 2001 ES300 today and fully agree that from a dead stop, the car does NOT accellerate well. It seems to need 50-100 feet before it gets itself together and begins to accellerate as well as my '97 ES.

The 2001 is a loaner, as my '97 (at 52K miles) has blown the main seal on the transmission and is at the dealer being fixed. They had to remove the tranny to replace the seal (groan). I hope it runs "normally" when I get it back....
    Ouch. Just what you needed when the warranty expired.
    wow! you get a 2001 ES as a loaner car? which dealership did you get your car from? did they do pickup and drop-off too?
    How come I hear so many problems with luxury cars. I had a Tercel for 11 years without any problems. I never had to do any thing other than oil change, tune-up, and replacing the AC compressor when it was 10 years old. My brother has a Corolla that has 370K miles on it (he still has it now) and never has to do anything to it other than oil change and tune-ups.
    Is it a mistake to buy a luxury car? It seems that they're not as reliable as ordinary Toyotas even though they're still made by Toyota. There seems to be a lot more maintenance needed to be done to luxury cars than ordinary cars.
    I thought we paid the money up front to have a car that will never gives us any problems, that's why the car is so expensive. But now it seems like we just pay for the luxury and the name. Well, I know Lexus is still more reliable than other luxury car.
    A luxury car, any of them, are kind of like thoroughbred horses. They have so many strong points if they get the care and attention they crave. Actually it is that they are so much more complicated and showcase so many new systems and features. There really is more to go wrong. You are not buying superior reliability of tries and proven systems, your buying luxury and the latest gadgets.

If reliability is your first concern, just be glad you went Lexus. MBZ and BMW deinately require more attention, and Jaguar, well you really need 2 so one is always drivable.
    2 jaguars at the same time? you're hilarious! is jaguar really that bad? I have a family member who's thinking about a Jaguar. I guess I'll stop him as soon as I can, and if I can't convince him, I'll suggest him to buy 2 to make sure he won't have to borrow my car or to get rides from me all the time.
    I agree with sddlw. the luxury cars usually have the bells and whistles. Like my mercedes is all computer driven. It tells you when to bring car in for service, how much gas is left in tank. Along with the ABS, ESP, ASR 4-matic and all types of gadgets that constantly monitors your car so if it senses something wrong then there goes a trip to the service dept. Buy a Corolla and you are lucky if it has ABS.
  • rubicon52rubicon52 Member Posts: 191
    I'm considering buying either an ES300 or a Toyota Avalon. Pros and cons for both cars. But one specific concern I have is that I may be moving to a small town in the future and might be 70 miles from the nearest Lexus dealer. Have seen a couple of postings in this forum from owners that live 50 miles or so from a Lexus dealer. Is this a real problem? I know Lexus cars are relatively trouble free, but they do require service. Can you take an ES300 to a Toyota dealer? Do you use an independent garage? Or do you just drive the 50 miles to the dealer, get a loaner and head back home? Thanks.
    the '00 and later models of Corolla has ABS and side airbags as optional devices.
  • afinegoldafinegold Member Posts: 57
    Another factor in your question as to reliability of Lexus vs. non-luxury cars is simply that on a forum like this, you're going to hear more about problems than about good things, because many of the forum participants are looking for answers to problems or questions. I'm sure that you would find the same thing if you went to a Toyota forum and read the posts about Tercels and Corollas. I personally know about 5 people that have Lexuses of various years and I am not aware that any of them have ever had any problems, including me, which is the same thing you're saying about you and your brother's experience with Toyotas.

Similarly, if you went to a hospital patient website, you'd think everyone is always sick with some horrible ailment or disease, because that's all they discuss. Obviously not true for everyone, just the participants in that forum, but that's undoubtedly just a tiny fraction of the whole universe. I think the same is true for Lexus and other luxury cars. Where you look is what you'll find.

Al--
  • rubicon52rubicon52 Member Posts: 191
    As several people have pointed out, luxury cars can be a little more troublesome because of added complexity - luxury cars have more gadgets, options, control systems, etc. For example, the LS400 is statistically more troublesome (although still very good) than the ES300, but that doesn't mean it's not as well built. Also, when you look at Toyota motor products you're looking at cars that range from very good to excellent as far as reliability is concerned. The chances of buying a headache are not very great.
  • marsha7marsha7 Member Posts: 3,703
    wasn't owned by Ford, those of us in the auto industry recommended buying two...one to drive, and one for parts to fix the one you drove.

as an aside, I have been told by a Toyota dealer that they can and do work on Lexus, but cannot perform warranty repairs. Also, any parts on the Lexus that are not on regular Toyotas would not be in dealer stock...available, but not in stock. The only exception may be things like oil filters and simple stuff like that.

Most likely, the Toyota dealer would not roll out the red carpet like the Lexus dealer...the Toyota dealer around here has a bunch of arrogant, snotty people working there, the stereotypical people dealerships are known for...Cliffy, Isell, Mack and Brentwood would be ashamed to work in this place.
    I've heard they are very similar except ES300 belongs to luxury class and somewhat more refined. Depending on what kind of options you want, if you'll have to end up paying 30K for the Avalon (like my cousin did), I think you should go for a Lexus with similar options at 31-32K. Lexus's got its name and definitely more of a head turner than an Avalon not mentioning its resale value. The problem is that you're too far from the dealership. If you're unlucky to get one with all kindsa problem you won't be able to stop by the dealership as you need to and you'll regret.
  • cmahaffeycmahaffey Member Posts: 1
    Can anyone tell me what I can expect to pay to put in a rebuilt Lexus ES 300 Engine (including labor)? Also does anyone know where I could get this work done (i am located in Atlanta, GA).
  • jtc43jtc43 Member Posts: 15
    Re: your post #265. Don't know if you have bought anything yet, but you might try Lindsay Lexus of Alexandria. My wife and I bought a 98 ES300 (Lexus Executive Car) on 12/28/99. The car had 11K miles and we paid either $28.5 or $28.8 (don't have the papers with me). Our salesman was Bernie Whitaker (I believe). We were looking to buy a 2000 ES300, but saw the 98 and liked the price, mileage, color, etc. The people at Lindsay treated us very cordially without any arrogance. This was our first "luxury" car, even though we had previously leased a 95 and a 96 Maxima GXE (both were excellent cars - just wanted to step up). Don't think you can go wrong with the ES300.
    I'm told they are better than they were, but in the ranking of luxury cars and how trouble free they are, I'd say they are not anywhere near the top. ..... but my what beatuiful cars. IMHO they are about the best styling on the road. I guess that's where they spend all their money. ...hey, at least they aren't ground+ electrical systems anymore.
    I just dropped my ES in for it's first oil change. I wasn't lucky enough to get another Lexus as a loaner although the Carlsbad CA dealer does have a few. I got a Toyota Corolla. After the first 2 minutes driving home I was glad I had chosen the "luxury" car to own. A poster a while back made the comment he was so dissapointed in his ES that he wished he still had his old Corolla. Not me!
    We got our '97 ES300 back from the dealer late last Friday. They found that the seal had been "pinched" (their words) and this was uncommon. While servicing the tranny, they also replaced all the transmission fluid, saving me a bundle. The transmission was fixed under the "Powertrain Warranty", which lasts for six years or 70,000 miles. Thank goodness!

However, they charged me $117 to drain and refill the cooling system ($89 for one hour labor), which I felt was pretty expensive.

The dealer I use is Kuni Lexus in Denver, which not only loaned us the new 2001 ES (with only 12 miles on it) this time, but loaned us an RX300 the last time our car had to be kept for an entire day. They seem to be a pretty good Lexus dealer.
    They've got to pay for those Lexus loaners somehow.
    my dealership charges only $79/hr for labor. Maybe that's why you get a brand new LEXUS loaner :-) ....
    someone said tire air pressure drops 1 PSI for every 10 degree drop in ambient temperature. But does the air expands itself back to the original pressure when the temperature goes back to the original temperature when you have your tire air pressure set? Let's say, if the temperature drops by 20 degrees overnight and then comes back up by 20 degrees the next day, does the tire air pressure also goes down overnight and back up the next morning?
    Yes, it does. You need to remember that in the winter, ambient temperatures are MUCH lower than in the summer and if you commute to work, pavement temperatures are also much lower since you're driving in the dark (hot pavement will raise the tire pressure). Just make sure you have enough air in your tires now that winter is hard upon us and you'll be fine. If you start out with an insufficient amount, as the temperature falls you'll be VERY underinflated.

You should check the air in your tires at least as often as you check the oil in your engine (from once a week to once a month, depending on how much you drive).

BTW- it was nice to drive that 2001 ES for a day and a half. Aside from my '97 having a little more play in the shift mechanism, there was VERY little difference in the two vehicles (except for the hesitation in acceleration I mentioned previously). The 2001 also had HID headlights, and I was surprised to discover that the HIDs are ONLY for the low beams. The high beam bulbs are the same as my '97!
    Remember form high school physics that the volume, pressure and temperature of a gas are all related. Also remember that your tires get hot from the friction of the road, and the gas will expand as the tires heat up. In a closed system like a tire, this means higher pressures.

I'd be a little concerned that if I put the maximum psi in at -10F that I'd be way over pressurized once I had been on the road for 20 minutes and the tires were warm again.

But, lucky for me I do not live in a cold climate, these kinds of questions make my brain hurt like an ice cream headache.
    Totally agree!

I hope liev doesn't check tire pressures at -10. I would check them at something close to normal for his area (daytime median). Here in Denver, I would validate my tire pressures on a "normal" winter day (about 35 degrees) and then not worry about it any more. A 5-6 pound fluctuation would not be something I'm losing sleep over, IMHO.

Have some more ice cream!
    When Kuni Lexus called me to follow up on my recent service (see above), I had the opportunity to get some interesting answers from them:

1) Hourly labor charges are set at the regional level, to keep local dealers from under-cutting each other. There are 4-6 regions in the US, the Kuni rep didn't know for sure. Interesting....

2) The hour charged me ($89) for the drain and refill of my cooling system was for ELAPSED time (time my car was in the service bay), rather than ACTUAL time (the mechanic spent working on it). If I had asked for additional work to be performed (concurrently), the cost for the drain/refill would have been less (like 15 minutes). A lesson for all of us here. For some strange reason, '97 ESs take longer to drain than other Lexi (HUH??).

3) One "unit" of antifreeze ($17.34) equals TWO gallons, not one. Fuzzy math??? Maybe Al Gore can find a job as a Lexus service writer.
  • kelnshekelnshe Member Posts: 7
    I noticed that when I invoke my left turn signal, the signal blinks very fast. I checked the owner's manual, and it said that the turn signal light is out. Is this something I can replace, or will I have to get ripped by the dealer? My car is still within the warranty period, but I'm not sure if this is considered a wear-and-tear item. Any ideas? TIA!!
    If No live close to your dealer, just bring it in. it probably isn't covered but the dealer should swap it for you anyway. It may cost them a few bucks and but will earn your satisfaction and future business. If not, the buy a bulb from auto parts store and do it yourself. it is like caning a bulb at your house when it goes.
    If you live close to your dealer, just bring it in. it probably isn't covered but the dealer should swap it for you anyway. It may cost them a few bucks and but will earn your satisfaction and future business. If not, then buy a bulb from auto parts store and do it yourself. it is like changing a bulb at your house when it goes.
  • rollomanrolloman Member Posts: 64
    My 96 ES 300 just rolled over 100K miles and I haven't had any problems whatsoever.

I've kept up with regular maintenance, change fluids when scheduled, run Mobil 1 Synthetic and keep the speed at a reasonable level.

I'm so impressed with my old Lexus that I passed on purchasing a new one in 2000. There is no reason to sell this one, except for maybe new car fever...that fades over time.

"these cars are made to go 300K miles"---my Lexus Service Rep.

I've found that this Forum is a great place to learn about Lexus and I count it as a valuable learning tool.

Any more high mileage stories out there?

Happy Holidays!
    does ES300 has rust proof protection already? should I worry about washing the undercarriage after a snow? the (road is salted before the snow)
    Hi L8_Apex,
    I don't like this new format. there's no placemark and the font in the message box is too small it strains my eyes. Can we go back to the previous format with the addition of the delete button that you have in here now?
    So what's going on. Can't get here from the key word search function anymore and it seems to me some of Thur & Fridays posts are missing ....or is it just me?
  • sybelesybele Member Posts: 42
    Could this possibly be the next generation ES?http://www.toyota.co.jp/Showroom/All_toyota_lineup/MarkII/index.html
    it's not you or me (i thought it was me too), it's edmunds. I don't know why they think this is a better format. The other format was much easier to read and post and with placemarks too. With the new format, verytime after I post my message, the message box disappears. I click login again to try to get to the message box, it tells me I already logged in and put me back to the topic list, I have to click on Sedans and find my way to the last post again. that is annoying.
    I can no longer get to this forum (or any other) from the key word search function. When I try, it jut takes me to the large conference sup-topic listings where I have to scroll down until I find the conference (I had identified in key word search). Any idea when we'll get this funtion back? This "feature" is a drag.
  • wayn1wayn1 Member Posts: 69
    This stinks!!! Lets push for the old format!
  • ungung Member Posts: 1
    I just purchased an 2001 ES300. Nice car.
    Dealer's trying to sell me the interior and exterior protective coating product - pretty obnoxious process, actually.
    I'm trying to figure out the real value. It's for $460 and has a 5 yr warrantee.

Should I or should I not?
    The dealer is both right and wrong. You should protect your car with a good wax or polish and you should condition your leather and maybe even put a scotch-guard like protectant on the carpets, but what the dealer will do for you is a waste of your money and is a big profit center for the dealer. Actually, IMHO the dealer is doing people a disservice by implying that anything they do inside or out will really last for 5 years, or that periodic car care is not needed if you spend this money up front.
This discussion has been closed.