Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Lexus ES 300/ES 330

Comments

• kitchenskitchens Member Posts: 12
    This is an update to the message I sent a week or so ago--see #3172. Took my wife's 02 ES 300 back again to the dealer this past Saturday. They had the car most of the day. Apparently they took alot of things apart in the ventilation system checking to see if an animal, rodent or similar had crawled up into one of the tubes and died thus creating the odor. Did not find any animal life, but determined that the odor was coming from the air conditioning filter. Cost to me was $86.00 check out fee and approx $50 for the filter. This is not the cabin filter that they recommend changing at 15K miles which cost about $300.00.
    This seemed to solve the problem as there is no longer any smell. I was not happy having to pay the approx $150.00 but they said that it was not a mfg defect so not covered under warranty.
    BTW, we did get back the old filter and there is a trace of the odor in the filter.
    Just hope the odor doesn't return!!
  • tmarttmart Member Posts: 2,242
    The cabin filter for my C70 is around $30.00.
  • akw3akw3 Member Posts: 14
    My 02 ES 300 had the same problem but not to that extent. The car was purchased in August and the smell only comes on when I turned on the heat 2 weeks ago . The Lexus dealer took a look today and I was told all I need is to apply some freshener in the ventilation system , that was what they did. And always leave the AC on auto all the time even during the cold winter months in Canada.
  • richm4richm4 Member Posts: 169
    My local dealer won't admit to the existance of any transmission problems.

Is there anyone who has purchased an '03 and has experienced the same tranny problems that have plagued the '02's? There was an earlier post where someone thought Lexus has fixed the problems for this model year. I hate to plunk down $35K if the problem still exists.
  • atoewsatoews Member Posts: 637
    If the dealer does not admit a problem in the first place, and the publications do not advertise an upgrade, then I doubt there is any change.

Just having a thumbs up from some 03 owner will not prove that the problem does not exist, as the majority of 02 owners do not experience a problem, either.

The best advice is to test drive a vehicle to see if your driving style uncovers the problem.

In my experience, the "problem" is completely repeatable on a test drive.
  • kreativkreativ Member Posts: 299
    Do any '02/'03 ES owners notice your car will feel like it's lunging forward when you're waiting at a traffic light (i.e. car stationary, in Drive, with foot on the brake pedal)?

I believe it's due to the A/C compressor switching on and off when in auto mode.

It almost feels like a car is nudging me from behind. The lunging sensation is quite pronounced for a car that's stopped. It can happen 3-4 times while I'm waiting at a light.

I haven't experienced this to such a degree in any of the other cars I've driven extensively (including other Lexus models), so I'm wondering if it's just my ES.
  • rtorrecartorreca Member Posts: 74
    I have that problem too. I thought it was also the transmission that was to blame for this behavior.
  • mmccloskeymmccloskey Member Posts: 168
    Greetings:

I have experienced the 'lunging' or slight surge forward while at a stoplight. This has only occurred while the compressor was on. My 2K Solara did this as well so I don't think it's a flaw or problem to be overly concerned with. It may be due to the compressor cycling on and the engine control module increasing RPM to compensate to keep the car idling smoothly.

On a more positive note, I now have 4,500 perfect miles on my 2K2 ES300 and enjoy the car even more. On occasion I have accelerated somewhat briskly from a stoplight and the car will move out nicely and there is no noticable hesitation in the transmission and I'm still getting 27-28 MPG (90% highway) with premium. I find the car has more than enough power considering the good gas mileage.

Regards -

M. J. McCloskey
  • akw3akw3 Member Posts: 14
    My 02 ES 300 has the same problem when stop at red light with the brake on but was told by the local dealer that was caused by the AC compressor.
  • todds91todds91 Member Posts: 3
    I'm pretty sure I want this over a MB C240 or a used E320 (still expensive & old body style).

I was told that Lexus' are nice, but they get you on the maintenance. I checked this site and it seems that it is about $120 every 5K miles and about $350 at 25K miles. Is this about right?

I would be looking to buy in February 03 and hope that the transmission issue is fixed by then. Anyone with input on this?

Lastly, what did you all pay for yours (invoice vs purchase price)?

Thanks!
    Does anyone know what kind of special offers or deals are typically available during the "December to Remember" sales event ?

I seem to remember hearing something about leasing, although I much prefer to Buy.

Thanks.
  • maxhonda99maxhonda99 Member Posts: 1,289
    todds91, I believe it is about $350 at 30K miles, not 25K and about $100 every 5K for oil changes, which obviously tells me it's a rip-off and you should take it elsewhere and pay $40-50 for oil change and tire rotation.
  • sopecreeksopecreek Member Posts: 203
    Can you tell by looking or touching whether the oil is synthetic or not?
    Is there any difference in how Lexus dealers treat customers for service appointments who bought their car at a different dealership?

I can probably get a better deal from a dealership farther from my home, but would like to have it serviced at the dealership closest to my home.
  • david_valone1david_valone1 Member Posts: 2
    I earlier stated that my ES 300 had 15000miles on it and required new tires . It seems that Lexus is getting a lot of comlplaints about these tires. My dealer agreed to put 4 new tire on at half price. I chose the Duplap A2's they seem like good tires and got good reviews from Consumer Reports
  • kingken89kingken89 Member Posts: 13
    I use synthetic oil in my 92 ES300 with 306,000 miles and I can't tell that it is synthetic by looking at or touching it. I use Mobil 1, that is synthetic and made for high mileage vehicles. I do my own oil changes and I chose that oil because that is what the previous owner was using.
    kingken89, I am just trying to figure out if the dealer is using synthetic or not. Maybe I should rephrase my question. Since synthetic oil seems to last at least twice as long as the non-synthetic, if I check the engine oil after 3000 (or 5000) miles under mild driving habit(but with stop-and-go Atlanta traffic), is there any way of telling by color or feel? If the color turned into real dark one after the 3000 (or 5000) miles, can I assume the engine oil is probably non-synthetic? Well, darkness is also relative so it's probably not easy to answer. Thanks for your feedback, though.
    Lexus dealers don't use synthetic unless you specifically request and pay extra for it.
  • kiiwiikiiwii Member Posts: 318
    I had the same problem with my Volvo when it was only 1 yr old. The dealer found the problem was caused by a defected temperature sensor in the engine. This resulted in a bad air and fuel mixture and made the car surge forward. Hope this helps.
  • kingken89kingken89 Member Posts: 13
    I guess kreativ answered your question but I have never heard of a dealer or any autoshop using synthetic oil unless specially requested. Wouldn't that be nice if they would
  • wutamawutama Member Posts: 3
    I had a question about the Mark Levinson audio package that i was hoping someone could answer.

I went to a dealer yesterday and was told that I could not purchase the Mark Levinson audio package without getting the Navigation system package as well, which thoroughly confused me, because I thought you can get them as two separate packages. Who's right?

And if I could also ask if anyone knows what the power-adjustable pedals actually do?
    Thanks!
    Sorry, forgot to mention that it was the 2003 ES model. Without the Mark Levinson package and going with the premium, I got a price quote of $33, 295. It seems like a good deal, but I'd like at least a few more opinions.
    Thanks again!
  • tmarttmart Member Posts: 2,242
    the ML and Nav are serarate options, but from what I've heard, the car has to be special ordered to get just the ML.
  • hintzhintz Member Posts: 71
    I bought a 2003 ES300 yesterday and take delivery on Monday. The car literally came off the truck and I said I wanted it. Starlight pearl/premium/heated seats/rear sunshade/wood steering/HID etc $36171.00 paid $1000.00 over invoice in florida. Cant wait to get it.
  • sandman46sandman46 Member Posts: 1,798
    Did you buy from JM here in Margate?

The Sandman :-)
    I think you can always ORDER both packages separately. However, dealers are only filling their inventory with the ML/NAV combinations. I think it's their way of padding their pockets a little more.
  • libertycatlibertycat Member Posts: 593
    My parents own a 2002 ES300 with leather, a six disc in-dash cd changer and wood with a silver exterior and interior. They (and I) wish they had gotten the beautiful gold exterior and beige interior and a rear sunshade, but at the time this was all their dealer had. But the interior is so luxurious! The seats let you fall into them unlike the firm but also comfortable seats in my Volvo V70. The wood looks so exquisite! The six disc in-dash cd changer is my favorite feature, however. It holds two more discs than the four disc in-dash cd changer in my V70. Like mine, it holds multiple cds and has nice sound even without the Mark Levinson audio system. But not even leather is standard. Wood, the 6-disc in-dash cd changer, the rear sunshade, and a navigation system are all optional. The interior is nicer than an Acura TL with these options, but the TL has them all standard at a lower price than the base ES300.
  • fredvhfredvh Member Posts: 857
    Has anyone heard of a new engine(3.3) coming in the ES300 in the first part of 2003?
    There is a strong rumor that the V6 Camry will be coming in the spring of 2003 with a 3.3l engine and a 5-speed automatic transmission.
    If you get the same stuff (same oil, same filter) doing engine oil change at toyota dealer, why does lexus dealer charge about double? Also, my lexus dealer recommends 5k engine oil change interval whereas my toyota dealer recommends 3k interval. Makes me wonder if lexus does use superior material...
    Also, my toyota dealer says it can do 30k maintenace service on my 2001 es300, again at about half the cost of lexus dealer. What will be the difference? For example, can toyota dealer inspect/replace A/C filter (does 2001 camry have it?)
  • lenscaplenscap Member Posts: 854
    The Camry is not getting the 3.3 engine anytime soon. Jim Press of Toyota said so in last week's issue of Automotive News (a magazine for dealers). I believe it is getting the 5-speed, but not the 3.3.

The ES will get the 3.3 sometime later next year as a 2004.
  • alpha01alpha01 Member Posts: 4,747
    To complement the info provided by lenscap, the Camry will be receiving a horsepower bump in the spring, from the addition of VVTi, but not engine size.

~alpha
  • cyntccyntc Member Posts: 1
    I also have 15,000 miles on my '02 ES300 with Toyo tires. My car began to sound like big truck with mud grip tires on it. My dealer told me the problem was with the tires and I should buy new tires. They did not offer any new tires at half price.
  • atoewsatoews Member Posts: 637
    Although Lexus advertises that leather is optional, in reality, it would be like pulling teeth to get cloth. I believe that anyone insisting on a cloth interior would need to special order it and then be prepared for a long wait.

So, although a "premium package" is advertised as such, for all practical purposes the premium packages are "standard".
    Thanks for replying Tmart.
    MAN! yeah, I got a reply from another dealer about ordering the car with just the ML system and they said it's a special order that'll take about 5 months to get here, so...sigh...want the system, but it might just be better to suck it up and get the regular sound system but still have the 6 CD changer. Any thoughts on the price quote I got??? $33,295 w/ premium package, heated seats, mystic sea opalescent, VSC, TRAC, Cargo net, trunk mat, and wheel locks.
    That price sounds like a really good deal to me (a 3K discount). BTW, what part of the country are you in?

They don't seem that flexible up here in Chicagoland.
  • nfjnrnfjnr Member Posts: 25
    Good luck on your purchase. I am in Tampa and tried to use Cars Direct. Com to get my 2003 ES.
    They tell me they can only get it for Msrp, regardless of the configuration. Maybe its worth my while for a trip to your neck of the woods.

Regards
    For many areas, CarsDirect seems to have MSRP or uncompetitive pricing.
    But for Los Angeles, their pricing on the '03 ES is below invoice.
  • hintzhintz Member Posts: 71
    I went to Lexus of Ft. Myers to purchase my new 03 lexus. If you want the sales man/phone # email me.
    Thank you for your offer. I will email you soon.
    In addition to getting a lousy price from a Tampa Lexus internet rep (32881 on a MSRP 34881), he also mentioned a bill and handling fee. I thought that was in the 575 delivery and prep. Has anyone had the same experience when purchasing their Lexus? I know I didnt when I bought my last one.
    Thanks
  • kennyinmdkennyinmd Member Posts: 18
    I was just quoted for a fully loaded ES300 without NAV, MArk Levinson, and VSC for $32,850.00 . Is tyhis a good deal? MSRP is $35,961.00. I'm new here so excuse my question if its been answered numerous times. I have read that there is a problem with the ES transmissions? If so does it include the 2003's?
    Kennyinmd,

That's about $1K over invoice, which seems pretty good in my neck of the woods (Chicago).
    The transmission is fine on my parents and they've had their 2002 for a year.
  • lenscaplenscap Member Posts: 854
    The car you're looking at cannot be fully loaded. Or if it is you're mistaken on the MSRP.

A loaded ES 300 is right at $40,000, not $35,900.

For the options you're looking at the car is $37,730:

Car - $32,200
    NAV/ML - $4,880
    VSC - $650

And that's not loaded because it does not include rear sun shade, adjustable pedals, HID lights, heated seats, wood wheel and shift knob, AVS or chrome wheels.
    The MSSRP is $36,611.00. that is without NAV, and Mark levinson. It does have VSC, Xenon, premium,heated seats, and wood shift knob. HWWhat shoulkd I offer?
    its $36,611.00. Its 32,200 + 2,130 (premium package), + 330 (wood steering wheel) + 640 (xenon) +440 (heated seats) + 221 ( cargo net, and one other item , can't remember) + 650 (VSC)=36,611.00. The dealer is offering $32,850.00
  • gsenthilgsenthil Member Posts: 154
    Sorry I am kinda late on posting this- I frequent the RX board more often than ES.

I had 30k service done on my 2001 RX last weekend. Both the dealers (Toyota/Lexus) added many more items than what the manufacturer asked for. Keep in mind that sometimes dealer will say it is manufacturer recommended but forget to tell you its recommended only if you use your car like a taxi/extreme situations etc. I called both and told them what I wanted done (which was a list taken off from the manual): the toyota dealer quoted anywhere from $180 to $360 (their usual quote is abt $530 for 30k service) while the Lexus dealer qouted $240 (instead of $570 where they change all the fluids...and prob the engine too if I let them!). I went with Lexus for the free loaner etc and piece of mind.

Lexus dealers charge more for services because their hourly rate is higher. Also, the oil filter for the RX is a toyota park available for $5 at the Toyota dealer as against $11 at the Lexus dealer. Go figure.

My advice is to buy Mobil 1 oil and take it to Toyota dealership for oil changes at 5k interval (or 7.5k if you feel comfy with that) and make sure you sit around in the waiting area while they work on your car to ensure they do use Mobil 1. I do this on weekends and use the weekend miniutes on my phone to call all old friends etc. The Toyota dealer charges me $10 labor for oil change and $10 for tire rotation. I recently came to know tire rotn was free for Costco members (irrespective of where you got your tires from) so I should have used this. For major services (30k interval not 15k) try asking your Lexus for a quote for ONLY the services you need.
  • peter7777peter7777 Member Posts: 24
    OK I've waited 3 months for someone to give their opinion about whether the transmission on the '03 ES300 is improved over that of the '02. While I haven't seen anyone make such a comparision, at least no one appears to be complaining. Does this mean that now is the time when one can buy the ES with confidence?
    No, I don't think it's changed from 2002. I test drove an 03 and noticed the same problems everyone else is complaining about.

Check out the owner evaluations board in edmunds and I think you'll notice the tranny is the worst rated part about this car.

I, for one, won't buy an ES until the tranny problem gets resolved. And by then, I will have probably purchased a different car.

This discussion has been closed.