Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Lexus ES 300/ES 330

Comments

• alexs95alexs95 Member Posts: 12
    My 2000 ES300 is almost due for servicing at the dealers. It has almost 10,000 miles. There is nothing wrong with the car so I'm just taking it in for the recommended servicing but I'm confused. I had the last servicing at 5500 miles. Should I take it in at 10,500 miles or wait until 12,000 miles or later? What should I expect them to do and what should I expect to pay?
  • sddlwsddlw Member Posts: 361
    The easiest thing to do is just to take it in as close to the 5,000 mile milestones on the odometer as possible (5K, 10K, 15K, etc.) You and your service rep will find it easier to remember which maintanence to do. Going a little under or a little over should have no effect on the car. I think the recommeded service is outlined in the manual. Each dealer may have their own program and these can be more than what the factory suggests. After all, service is a profit center for the dealer. The more you allow them to do, the more they can charge. Over the last 6 months of this forum this topic has come up a couple times. You might want to search back a while and see what people had to say.
  • alan_salan_s Member Posts: 362
    Kelnshe:
    The fast flicker on the ES300 may not be due to a burned out light
    bulb. My V6 Camry does the same thing even though the bulbs are fine. I remove the front right headlight assembly, and remove and replace the indicator bulb a few times - possibly removing any surface corrosion which seems to trigger the false "light burned out" signal.
  • ctrcourtctrcourt Member Posts: 2
    just testing
  • gemni1gemni1 Member Posts: 12
    I'm looking to buy a 2001 ES300 and I'm wondering if dealers are willing to negotiate below sticker price? I heard that there might me a redesigned 2002 model, so that might have an effect on deals. If anyone has recently purchased one, please post some info.
  • eric_glassereric_glasser Member Posts: 1
    Hello all,

Q1: I've read most of the posts in this forum and visited the nexus site on-line and STILL cannot determine the meaning of the following ES300 option-related acronyms: AL, UT, ML and T. Can somebody please help me out?

Q2: After a negotiated price of say, $31,000 (2000, VA, HID, "16 wheels), I assume +TT would include applicable state sales tax of apex. $2,400, but what would title and licensing cost me?

Q3: Also, what does the "Platinum" package entail?

I plan to purchase a '00 or '01 AS in the coming months (Atlanta, GA - 3 dealerships!), so the more info. the better. All your previous posts regarding the coming '02 redesign and SPECIFIC purchase price info. have been invaluable -- bound to save me at least $1,500 in the coming weeks.

Thanks in advance for your help.
  • enigma32enigma32 Member Posts: 12
    gemni1,

You will be able to get a discount and you will probably be able to get a substantial discount on a 2001 ES300 as it is the last model year for the current body style.

eric glasser,

1) Edmund's website lists what the acronyms mean.

2) Title, plates, and registration fees are available from your dealer. These fees vary from state to state and from dealer to dealer. Generally, it shouldn't cost more than about $100.

3) there is no platinum edition Lexus ES300 for 2001. The Platinum Edition was mostly a aesthetic edition consisting of different wheels, black Lexus emblems, a few different & unique color choices, slightly different leather, more wood on some models, and 2 free years of American Express Platinum Card services.
  • gemni1gemni1 Member Posts: 12
    I will be looking to purchase my '01 ES300 within the next 2-3 months and hope all goes well. Thanks for the info. and advice!
  • scongroscongro Member Posts: 80
    You mentioned Title, Plates, and Registration.

I don't know what state you are in, but a new vehicle registration alone costs $140 in the state of Florida. I know some states are pretty cheap, though.

Luckily, I didn't have to worry about that with my new car. I just transferred the tags from my '98 to my '01
  • jcarberryjcarberry Member Posts: 2
    I need to get a master key for a 1997 Lexus ES300 duplicated, but I am told that a "transponder" key will cost me about $250 from Lexus or one of their dealers! However, I'm now being led to believe that the key for the 1997 model may be a much simpler key to duplicate than I was first told. So here's my question:

Does anyone know whether the key for the 1997 Lexus ES300 contains a transponder? Almost half of the sites on the Internet or the information I'm finding suggests that the 1998 model is the first model year to include the transponder in the key, with many of these sites (such as Edmunds) referring to a "new" engine immobilizer introduced that year. One of these sites refers to the key type for the older 1997 model as a "4 track sidewinder" as opposed to a "transponder". The other half of the sites seem to hint that there is a very sophisticated security key on the 1997 model also, though I am unsure what that may mean. What type of keyblank should I be seeking to start the process?

Many thanks in advance for any insights!
    jcarberry,

1997 ES300s did not have the immobilizer system, therefore you don't have a transponder chip in your key heads.

1998 was the first year for the transponder chip in the ES300.

But you still have to go to a Lexus dealer and order they key and do expect to pay a heft sum for the key, although it will be nowhere near $250.
    scogro,

I live in Jersey, I guess it's cheaper here.
  • afinegoldafinegold Member Posts: 57
    Some of you may have heard that because of an initiative measure on the Washington State ballot in 1999, the cost of an _annual_ license renewal, as of 1/1/2000, went from 2 percent of fair market value (or about $600-$700 on a new ES 300) to a flat $30!! It truly made the car more affordable. There are still some additional add-ons to the license tab fee, but that was true under the old 2% fee also.
  • cadburycadbury Member Posts: 6
    My wife & I have narrowed down our new car search to the ES300 or the Eldorado ETC. We like front wheel drive that each offers, but the 300 hp & 19 cf trunk that the Eldo has is not touched by this Lexus. Should I be taking a closer look at the ES 300 or maybe wait for the 2002 model Lexus?
  • soumisoumi Member Posts: 2
    I am caught up in a dilemma whether to go for an Infiniti I30 or a Lexus ES300. Had anyone driven both ? Which is superior in quality and service ? I have taken the test drive for both. The lexus seemed to be more quiet than the Infinity. But then the Infinity had a better pick up and felt very sporty. The leather interiors were far superior in quality than the Lexus . Please advice me in making a decision . What would help me is '+'s and '-' for both sedans if any..
    Thanks in advance.
    Sincerely
    Soumi
  • afinegoldafinegold Member Posts: 57
    Suggest you check back posts on this and previous ES300 forum. There have been many, many, many posts about ES300 vs. Infinity I30 (and Acura TL). Consensus from most who drove and carefully researched both, as I recall, is that Lexus is more luxurious and quieter and softer ride, resale value holds up much better, and fit and finish are better. Infinity has a sportier feel and firmer ride and is a bit cheaper.

Al--
  • buylexusbuylexus Member Posts: 1
    I owned a 99 I30t for about 18 months. Dollar for dollar, probably the worst vehicle I have ever owned. Interior fit and finish was very poor - numerous rattles and creaks that the dealer was unable to fix (after many tries). Traded this in October on a 2000 ES300. Took a depreciation bath on the I30. I have nothing but good things to say about the ES300. I wish I had bought this car the first time around. I let the $5,000 price difference get in the way. The ES300 is well worth the extra money. I lost way more than that on the hit I took with the I30. Hope this helps.
  • arulrajarulraj Member Posts: 7
    Wish you very happy new year!.
  • bregisbregis Member Posts: 2
    I just bought a 2001 es300 and am debating if I should purchase the extended warranty offered by lexus. It's about $1,200 for the "platinum" warranty. Is it worth it? My concern is what it will/won't cover. HELP!!!!
    bregis,

Don't buy the extended warranty. Ask the dealer what it does cover, I believe the Lexus Warranty is pretty comprehensive, that is the extended Lexus warranty. But ultimately, you're buying one of the most reliable cars in the world, and therefore, you probably won't use that extended warranty.
  • turbotcturbotc Member Posts: 163
    ....or you may use the warranty during the coverage period but not using the $1200 of it. I have a Chrysler minivan and I bought the manufacturer extended warranty and paid $800. The van has 100k now so the warranty is over. It did cover a defective water pump along the way, a $130 parts and labor job. Oh well.
  • rollomanrolloman Member Posts: 64
    I'll put it this way.

I've got a 96 ES, just turned over 101K miles. No problems at all. None!

Just regular maintenance and lotsa TLC. Mechanics can't believe the odometer reading. Looks showroom new and drives better than when new. Just broken in.

Extended Warranty extends salesman's commission check.

Absolutely unnecessary!

Happy cruisin in 2001....
  • vesuviusiivesuviusii Member Posts: 32
    Hello all,

Anyone know the torque measurement in the:
    1998 ES300 (200hp / ???@???)
    v.
    1999-2001 ES300 (210hp / 220@4400)?

I'm considering both model years as a used car purchase and would like to know if the 210hp engines in the 1999-2001's are worth seeking out SPECIFICALLY. I've driven both, but can't feel an appreciable difference.

Thanks for your help.
    V
  • ssujc1ssujc1 Member Posts: 2
    While my experience certainly may be atypical, I do recommend the extended warranty if you plan to keep an ES300 beyond the basic warranty period. My 1993 ES300, which had been "book" maintained and always serviced by a dealer, developed the following little difficulties between approximately 71K and 78K: (1) an electrical circuit board shut down (and cost quite a lot to replace), wiping the mileage out on the electronic odometer. I was told the mileage could not be recovered (imagine what this did to the residual value); (2) the central airbag sensor malfunctioned; (3) the torque converter and transmission failed, at a cost of $4500 to replace; (4) the car began springing oil leaks around various gasket seals, all of which had to be replaced at a cost of hundreds. You can draw your own conclusions from this as to the ability of these cars to age gracefully, though I emphasize that mine may be an exceptional experience.
    vesuviusi,

The 1998 ES300 had 214 lb-ft of torque.
  • oilcan2oilcan2 Member Posts: 120
    Have 94 es 107k miles,have had since May,was able
    to install timiming belt,idler pulleys and water
    pump myself,have used Amsoil 0w30 for last 10k
    miles,am using the amsoil air filter and the
    by-pass oil filter,and also the atf.
    Has anyone tried the aftermarket tokico struts,
    am wondering how much they differ from stock.
  • deuce56deuce56 Member Posts: 46
    Until August of '00 I owned a '93 ES that had 140k on it. Until 135k I hadn't put a dime into it other than book maintenance. I hadn't even replaced the muffler/exhaust! Within the last 5k I had to put in a new rotor/distributor cap/water pump/radiator (OE radiator hard to "fix", easier to replace). I should have probably kept it b/c there wasn't much left to go wrong. I used it to trade for a truck for my son but I just bought a "used" certified/2000 ES w/ 16k. It had been driven by the owner's wife and then the loan officer, so it was "gently used." Certified means that I get a 4 year/84k bumper-to-bumper warranty and if it is anything like the '93 it will be the last car my wife drives until I retire. BTW, my deal included trading in a '91 Q45 and I was out the door at 24,252. This includes the Value Pkg (leather, heated memory seats, homelink, 6 disc in-dash CD, trunk and flor mats) /VSC/Paint Sealant.
  • rickc5rickc5 Member Posts: 378
    When we bought our '97 ES last April, we only received ONE key and ONE alarm fob. A replacement key from Lexus cost $300 and the additional fob was $200, for a total of $500! OUCH!!!

The newer ESs have a one-piece key (with alarm buttons) that costs about $300-350 to replace, should you need to.

BTW- this is in Denver. Could be cheaper elsewhere, but probably not by much.
    The key of ouf 99 ES has a transponder "anti-theft" chip embedded in it. This only allows the car to start when the right key is inserted. There is still a separate remote for locking/unlocking doors and trunk as well as panic button. There are no buttons whatsoever on the key.
  • lievliev Member Posts: 93
    I am thinking of putting a remote starter in my 2001 ES. I just love to have it especially during the winter time. I had it in my old car. I'm afraid that putting one in would void the manufacturer's warranty. any opinion anyone?
    Turbo,

The 2001 ES loaned to us by the dealer when they were fixing the leak in the transmission had the type of key I described, with the alarm buttons part of the key. I don'y know when Lexus changed to this type of key.
    I would check with your dealer re: potential of voiding the warranty. BTW- here in Denver it is illegal to leave a vehicle running without someone in it. Apparently it is too much af a temptation for the criminal element. Two teenage boys were arrested a couple of weeks ago for stealing cars that were "warming up".
    really...wow it makes my ES a dinosaur now with the new technology that they keep changing.
    rickc5,
    Lexus changed the key since 2000 model. However, they're still behind other manuf. in this tech. Acura already had this kind of key since at least for '97 model as far as I know.

anyways, checked with Lexus, they said warranty would be voided if the problem is related to the remote starter and aftermarket products are not recommended by Lexus. I kinda still want to put one in. my friend had a remote starter in a Honda Accord for at least 3 yrs, doesn't hurt the car though.
    In Minnesota, warming up the car without anyone sitting in it is illegal but remote starter is not illegal because the door would be locked when it is remote started, even if the thief could get in, pressing against the brake would disable the engine since it requires the key to be inserted for the system to go back to normal (at least the one I had has these features).
    you should also check and see if the remote starter will work on your car since your car has a more advanced anti-theft ignition than the Accord
  • bregisbregis Member Posts: 2
    I just bought a 2001 es300. whenever I asked what type of gas to use I got a dickey mouse answer ----> "well, the manual fez regular unleaded, but you get better performance with premium unleaded". What is the real-world experience??? is there a noticeable difference in performance when using regular, mid-grade or premium unleaded?? HELP, I'm almost out of gas!!!!
  • rollomanrolloman Member Posts: 64
    Regular Unleaded is OK. I've used both grades and there's no difference in performance, just in the wallet.

No knocking or hesitation whatsoever.

Fill er up!
  • sddlwsddlw Member Posts: 361
    Regular unleaded is sufficient and should run your car without any knocking. I believe that I do notice a difference in driving with premium though, or maybe it's just my imagination. Around town I like to turn the traction control and overdrive off. Under these conditions, the car seems peppier to me with 92 octane. I've not been able to see any difference in gas milage though, comparing a couple tanks of each to one another.
  • stuartwostuartwo Member Posts: 6
    I'm trying to purchase a 2001 ES300 (w/VP, trunk mat, 16" wheels w/locks) with an interior/exterior color combo that wasn't produced much for my region of the country (south)--seems fairly rare. I've been told by a salesman that one is currently in production right now, and that he could "preference" it for his dealership. But I find his "no-haggle" price to be a little steep ($32,750).

I have another salesperson in my hometown who seems unaware of this 'production' car, but had offered me the option of ordering one. I'm wondering about mentioning this 'production' car to the second salesman (whom I do like more) and let him make me a deal. I'm hoping to ask $31,500+TTL for it, especially since they'd incur no costs to keep it on the lot waiting for a buyer. Any opinions/suggestions? Unfortunately, neither Costo nor pre-arranged credit union prices are available in my area.
    I was told a lot of times by many people I know that if I drive freeway a lot then regular would be fine. but if I drive around town more often you should for premium. Maybe it is true and that's why sddlw feels the difference while cruising local streets.
  • stuartwostuartwo Member Posts: 6
    Just some extra information for entry #341 above. Dealer invoice for this car would be about $30K +/- $200 ($29,800 according to Kelly BB, $30,200 according to CarsDirect.com).

Dot-com purchases also not available in my area by state law. In reality, I'd like to get the car for $31,250+TT ($31.5k would be my highest limit). Any comments about this proposal would be appreciated. Thanks.
    Maybe you're right. it would be a complicated process to install a remote starter on the ES300 because of the way the security system is set up, i.e. a specific code must be read before the car can be started.
  • texplorertexplorer Member Posts: 9
    Is there any usually any cost disadvantage (or advantage) to ordering an ES300 with a salesman? I'm having trouble finding the car configured the way I want on the lots, and dealers can't locate it through searches. It would seem to me that ordering would prevent the dealer from having floor planning or advertising charges tacked onto the price. I'd have no problem with the several months' wait.
  • texplorertexplorer Member Posts: 9
    I tried the link at the top of this section to get to previous discussions: "Lexus ES 300 - II," but it says it's been moved. When I type it into "SEARCH," I don't get it either. How can I access it? Or has it been deleted altogether?
    Lexus has had the one piece key since '98 on the LS and GS. Personally, I love it.

Regular vs. Premium-I've said this many times: If you want to own a Lexus, pay the $.15-.20 more and treat your car nicer. I owned a 1990 ES 250, and every drop of gas that went into the car, and it ran perfectly, until I wrecked it.

texplorer,

A lot of Lexus cars have to be ordered, My '98 GS3 had to be ordered. No Biggie.

liev,

Ask your dealer about it. They may have a contact that has a system compatible to the security system.

I'm in Florida, never really thought about it, but may not be bad for Mid-July, when we can have triple digits.
  • slesssless Member Posts: 10
    I'm in the process of deciding whether or not to purchase a 2001 ES300. Does anyone have any comments about this car. The test drive was great, the reviews I've read have been favorable, but I've never owned a Lexus. I want a reliable, comfortable, stylish car. I have a Toyota Senna now and love it, but it's time to down size. The dealer came up with a purchase price of $31,950 on a car that has the leather package, high intensity lamps and gold package (which I don't really like, but it happens to be on this model already). I figure if he's offer it for $31,950 with the research I've done I should be able to find one for $31,000. Any comments are appreciated. I'm in California if that makes a difference.
  • marsha7marsha7 Member Posts: 3,703
    yes, it makes a diference if you are in California...your weather is great, compared to Atlanta, you have the beautiful Pacific Ocean to look at in your back yard, great beaches, and it makes me jealous...:):):)
    Good deal, go for it. The only thing to keep in mind is that 2002 will bring an all-new ES 300.
This discussion has been closed.