Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Lexus ES 300/ES 330

Comments

• gekko2gekko2 Member Posts: 87
    tell the BMW salesman to go pound sand...

J.D. Power and Associates Reports:
    Lexus Continues to Set the Industry Benchmark
    In Long-Term Vehicle Dependability

Problems Reported at Four to Five Years of Ownership
    Drops 7 Percent for the Industry

FOR IMMEDIATE RELEASE: November 21, 2002

WESTLAKE VILLAGE, Calif. - Lexus ranks highest in long-term dependability for the eighth consecutive year, according to the J.D. Power and Associates 2002 Vehicle Dependability Index (VDI) StudySM released today. All of the top five ranking nameplates in the study are Japanese brands, with Infiniti, Acura, Honda and Toyota following Lexus, respectively.

http://www.jdpa.com/studies_jdpower/pressrelease.asp?StudyID=692&- amp;CatID=1
  • jimodonneljimodonnel Member Posts: 4
    I've got 3 tanks and 1000 miles under my belt (tires?).

First tank, the dealer filled (assumed full) tank, was 20.6 MPG with about 5% Highway (50+ MPH) and 95% Local.

Second tank was about 29.4 MPG with about 95% Highway driving.

Third tank was 22.9 MPG with 5% Highway.

Those MPG figures are calculated (miles/gallons) by me. The corresponding CAR determined average MPG was 20.6, 29.4 and 22.9 respectively. The only significant discrepancy is in the initial dealer filled tanked, so I suspect that full tank may have been just a little light. The relative accuracy of the CAR determined average has surprised me, I suspect the CAR determined average might over-estimate MPG.

Driving style has been very conservative for the first 1000 miles.
  • daytona01daytona01 Member Posts: 46
    Thanks... jimodonnel
    So hopefully my mpg will getting better.. after the break-in
  • rparisrparis Member Posts: 368
    What octane gas are the above mpgs with?
  • sopecreeksopecreek Member Posts: 203
    I just had 30K scheduled maintenance and paid $467 in total including tax. Best of all, it was my daughter's spring break so I dropped my car (2001 ES) on Friday and went down to Savannah, GA and Tybee island on a loaner (I told my service rep about the trip beforehand and he said no problem at all.) I returned the car Monday afternoon and overall drove 700 miles. Another nice surprise was the 10% discount I got on labor charge, which I found out only after noticing the total bill was lower than the original estimate. I thought that was great.
    The loaner was 2003 ES 300 (it always used to be RX 300 before, so a little bit of disappointment from my wife here).
    I just thought I'd share my experience.
  • fredvhfredvh Member Posts: 857
    How did the 2003 ES300 compare to your ES300?
  • sopecreeksopecreek Member Posts: 203
    > How did the 2003 ES300 compare to your ES300?

Well, I was always curious about the 5 spd tranny issue that some were experiencing. Since I could not remember how to reproduce the hesitation, I probably was unable to even try it. But based on my 3 days of driving city and highway, I didn't notice any problem. In fact, I must say it shifted more smoothly than my 4 spd version.

When cornering, I felt more bolted to the seat although it's no beemer for sure.
    I definitely liked the seat better than my 2001 version. Much less back pain (I have really bad lower back.) Also, the seat seems to adjust higher than 2001 as noted by my 5'2" wife (that's why she likes RX300, visibility :)
    Overall, the 2003 ES seemed to be built tighter than 2001.

The noise coming from the engine was definitely less (much less!) but strangely wind noise was about the same. Front loading 6-cd changer was nice (how do you get the CDs out if the changer somehow jamms up?). Dual climate control was great since my wife complains cold all the time!
    I have owned both a 2000 and 2003 ES-I think the 2003 is far superior-very quiet and a great ride.Very smooth
  • kreativkreativ Member Posts: 299
    "how do you get the CDs out if the changer somehow jamms up?"

Assuming it's still under warranty, you get a replacement unit and your jammed unit gets sent to a repair center. Then, you get your CDs in the mail a few weeks later.

I haven't heard anyone complaining of a jammed in-dash CD changer on the new ES, but have heard plenty of complaints from IS300 owners (which use a different brand stereo). Lexus has been using Pioneer for their standard stereos since the beginning, so beats me why they switched to FujitsuTen for the IS300.
  • jimodonneljimodonnel Member Posts: 4
    The octane for each of the first four tanks is below, It's far to early to reach any conclusion of octane effect on mileage.

Tank 1 - 87 octane - 5% Highway - 20.6 MPG
    Tank 2 - 87 octane - 95% Highway - 29.4 MPG
    Tank 3 - 93 octane - 5% Highway - 22.9 MPG
    Tank 4 - 93 octane - 5% Highway - ~23 MPG

The fourth tank is not yet completed. The estimate of about 23 MPG is based on the trip computer calculation. This weekend I'll fill up with 93 octane just before taking the same trip I took on Tank 2; that will start to form the basis of a representative comparison of the effect of the higher octane for this car. I'll then run a couple of local tanks on 87 octane.

According to the dealer the higher octane would increase hard acceleration performance; I think the manual says higher octane increases performance without any more explanation. I haven't yet detected an appreciable difference in the performance of the 2 octane levels; but I also haven't really pushed the car yet. Probably at about 2000 miles I'll revert to my previous driving habits of faster accelerations, at that time I might be able to detect performance differences between the two octane levels.
  • coolguyky7coolguyky7 Member Posts: 932
    It has a lot of ES inspiration in its front styling and interior design.
  • mang3mang3 Member Posts: 4
    I had problems with CDs jamming initially in my 2002 ES; I got them out by poking at it with another CD until it came out far enough to get my fingers around it to pull. I discovered that this only happened with home-made CD's that had the pre-made adhesive labels I placed on them. Since, I have reburned those CD's and hand written the labels directly on the CD with permanent marker with no further problems (been over a year). The adhesive labels must make the CD more "slippery" so it skids on the wheels that push it out of the player.
    Does it bother other ES owners that the trunk cannot be accessed via a key and only from inside the vehicle or with the keyless remote?
  • tmarttmart Member Posts: 2,233
    the key is the remote. With key in hand, much more convenient to push the button than insert key and turn.
    Have you ever use valet parking ??

Here is my guess about Lexus Design:
    I think it doesn't cost them a lot for a key hole to open the trunk from outside

Lexus design is actually cost much more than that
    simple key hole

#1- do you beware you have an extra key for valet parking (no remote button)
    #2- a button (inside the glove compactment) to lock trunk open button (on left knee of driver)
    #3- a key hole to lock access to trunk from the back seat

So you can put your stuff (or a body) in the trunk...
    - Lock key hole #3...
    - Press lock button #2...
    - Lock the glove compactment
    and give the key #1 for valet parking guy

The valet parking key can only open the car door and turn on engine..
    so they have no way to access to the trunk...

Probably, Lexus think... majority Lexus owners often use valet parking...

=> If not use valet parking..=> not rich enough to own a Lexus or not a "real" Lexus owner.. :-)
    Absence of a keyhole for the trunk has nothing to do with valet parking security. Earlier Lexus models with a keyhole for the trunk also had valet parking keys which didn't work on the trunk.

Besides, if you've seen the numerous number of videos showing valet parking abuses with customer cars, you'd end up wanting to pay extra to avoid the valet parking.

When the key has a built-in remote trunk release, the only concern with not having a keyhole for the trunk is if the remote battery happened to die. But then you just open the trunk through the inside button until you get the battery replaced.
    Have you had your window tint or have EZ-pass mounted on your windshield?

I want to put tint on my windows and stick the ez-pass tag into the front winshield...

Tint: Is there any interferer with radio antenna embedded in the rear glass ?

On my 03 ES (which has rain sensor wiper).. I see a lot of sensor on the windshield (behind the rear view mirror)..

EZ-pass mounted on windshield: is there any interfere with sensors (rain sensor for wiper, outside temp, light sensor for auto light) ??

Thanks,
    How do most people feel the rain sensing windshield wipers work or would most rather have the totally manual style?
  • atoewsatoews Member Posts: 637
    I like them so much better than the "intermittant" setting.

However, I do set them to the "off" position when it is not raining. If you don't, they can start running after a car wash.
    Although I do not have a lot of experience yet, it seems that the auto wipers do not seem to come on often enough. With the intermittnet wipers, I felt I had better control on drizzle type rain.
    I presume that you are aware that you can set the sensitivity of the rain sensors.
  • neuroguyneuroguy Member Posts: 34
    If you have your windows tinted, make sure you go to a professional shop that does it all the time. And make sure you get a *non-metallic* tint. That way it won't interfer with your EZ-Pass or the radio antenna. They should also cut the tint around the rain sensor, so that shouldn't be a problem. Don't know how much it would affect the temp/sun sensor on the top of the dash in front of the driver. It will not affect the outside temp sensor as it's located outside the passenger compartment. It'll probably affect the light sensor in the rear-view mirror, but with the tint installed the glare from headlights behind you will be less, too, I would suppose.
    With the talk about the rain sensors and windshield wipers, it got me to thinking again about something Lexus seems to have overlooked in the '02 ES300. It doesn't seem to have a "mist" feature - where you push or pull the stalk and the wipers cycle once. Has this been added to the '03s?

As for the rain sensors, it does seem to take its sweet time in getting going at first. Sometimes I have to put it down one notch to the slow manual setting to get it going and then I can move it back up to auto. Other than that, mine works great.
    neuroguy: Thanks
    My car color is Alabaster Metallic... and the tint I like is silver metallic...
    So, probably I have to go with regular black tint instead

------------------

Have anyone had EZPass tag intefere with your ES sensor (light, rain, temperator, etc) ?

I checked EZPass site.. they offer front (probably on license plate) mounted device... if you can not use the tag...

I prefer the tag... b/c I often to go to NYC.. a lot of parallel parking => bumpers kissing and fighting.. all time...
    If you push the stalk forward on the 2002, you get a squirt to the windshield, followed by two swipes of the wipers. Is that what you mean by a "mist" feature?
    Has a new 5 speed transmission. Wonder if it is the same design as with ES300.

I don't which would annoy me more - if Toyota fixed the design on the Solara without doing the same on the ES300, or if they issued the same defect on the Solara.
  • raffeerraffeer Member Posts: 4
    Your problem re: EZ pass may solve itself. In several states tinting of front windshields is not allowed or so we were told when we had our ES300 tinted in Florida.
  • bmwdougbmwdoug Member Posts: 248
    Anyone know the answer to this question? Is it a graying population, upward mobile population, or younger upward population? Female or male? Intelligent or flamboyant? etc...
    Yes, pulling the wiper stalk towards you does activate the windshield washer jets and the wipers do cycle a few times. I was hoping it would just do the cycling of the wipers once without activating the washer - like on most cars the two are separate functions. During very light rain, or outside windshield fogging, I don't need the washers to activate, too. Seems like they didn't think of that on this car. Or maybe they thought it wasn't necessary with the auto wiper setting?
    I don't know what is Lexus target market... but these Stats. Number from Microsoft carpoint... which may give you some idea about ES owners:

Men / Women 53/47
    Age 61
    Married 72%
    Income $108,587

=> Married old men (women) which 6 digits income
    http://autos.msn.com/vip/heraudspecs.aspx?modelid=10592&src=v- - ip
  • adler223adler223 Member Posts: 7
    I've been told that it is impossible to install satellite radio in an ES 300 with the navigation/Levinson package. Is this true? And has anyone figured out a way around it?
    Aren't there satellite radio units that transmit the sound signal through FM modulation?
  • folomypath02folomypath02 Member Posts: 13
    I have a 2003 es300 and have tried to deactivate the automatic door lock function after the gear shift is put in Drive. Can anyone help me out on how this function can be deactivated? I followed the manual and it still doesnt seem to work.

Thank you in advance for your help
  • lenscaplenscap Member Posts: 854
    The results of the 2003 JD Power Initial Quality Study were released yesterday. It's no surprise that the ES 300 finished #1 in the entry luxury car category.

Other Lexus standings include:
    Lexus #1 as a brand
    LS 430 #1 in the premium luxury car category
    SC 430 #2 in the premium luxury car category
    GS 300/430 #1 in mid luxury car category
    RX 300 #1 in luxury SUV category
    LX 470 #2 in luxury SUV category

The #1 Platinum Award also went to the plant where the LS 430 and GS 300/430 are built. The plant where the ES 300 is built finished #3 of all plants worldwide (the Toyota Prius plant was #2).
  • puckeye2puckeye2 Member Posts: 6
    Hi folks. I am new to this board, but hope you can help me. My father went to a Lexus dealer in Massachusetts about 3 weeks ago.

He agreed on a ES 300 with black exterior and a black interior. So, he calls today to check on the status of the car. The dealer informs him there are NO black/black ES 300's on the entire east coast.

What's worse, is that if he wants this "limited" and "rare" car, he needs to have them order it from the factory, wait 2 months longer and then "pay more" for the car because of the ordering and limited run on black on black.

Does this sound accurate to anyone? I've never heard of such lies on a mass produced car like the Lexus. Has anyone experienced anything like this? Any insight would help. Thanks in advance.
  • mrrogersmrrogers Member Posts: 391
    Just for the fun of it, I logged on to www.carsdirect.com with a Boston zipcode. The MSRP for a base ES300 is $32,300. Invoice is $29,101, and CarsDirect price is $30,001. I clicked on colors, and clicked on black for the exterior. It immediately prompted me to black for the interior color. It is possible the dealer is taking advantage of your father.
    Thanks Mr.Rogers.

I know they are trying to take advantage of him. Needless to say, this will not happen. I am going to go in there make them wish they never tried to pull this scam.

Anyone else know if the black/black is "rare" and "limited?"

Any suggestions besides carsdirect.com to find out?
  • glenns1939glenns1939 Member Posts: 10
    What dealer did your Dad go to for his purchase? I leased a 2003 Lexus ES300 from Lexus of Northboro with Black Garnet and black interior-if they offer the combo they make it. My dealer had to do a search for the color, but they found one. Certainly they want to sell off the lot, and the light blond leather is more available. I found that negotiating between dealers is very helpful-you get a better price, and they work harder to earn your business. Paying more for a car they don't have to carry in inventory is a crock. That is why they want to sell what they have-they pay financing on cars on the lot. So ordering should be cheaper than buying from inventory, as they pay no bank financing. I bounced between Lexus of Norwood, and Lexus of Northboro-but settled on Northboro because they are brand new and work harder to get your business as the number of cars they get is based on sales figures. Ask for Jim Roberts-sales manager-he worked hard for me and made a difficult combination of colors workable. Tell him Glenn from Barre recommended him.By the way they had a black on black in stock 3 weeks ago, but I wanted the black garnet with black that they had to search to find in CT. Call 508-870-3222. Good luck, Glenn
  • mrrogersmrrogers Member Posts: 391
    Just for the fun of it, I logged on to www.jmlexus.com. JM Lexus, the world's largest Lexus dealer, is in Margate, FL. His new car inventory contains 56 new ES300s with the black exterior. He has four with black leather, 2 with gray leather, and the balance are all ivory leather. I don't see why your father should need to pay a premium for the black on black ES300.
    Glenn & Mr.Rogers,

You guys are great! I live in CA, but my Dad still lives in Boston.

He went to Lexus of Norwood. I gave him your Northboro info and he is going to call. The JM Lexus info is also helpful when they (Lexus of Norwood) are saying there are none on the entire east coast. I really can't thank you all enough. I think we all benefit as consumers when we can trade information together like this.

Though Lexus of Norwood may be correct, I just have a hard time believing that a mass produced car like the ES300 would be rare for black/black.

I will let everyone know what happens as this week progresses.

Thanks again!

puckeye
  • alpha01alpha01 Member Posts: 4,747
    Wouldnt it be wonderful if you could search the inventory for all Lexus (and Toyota) dealerships, perhaps even via the corporate websites?

Toyota/Lexus are very behind the times with respect to their sites; Nissan/Infiniti, for example, allow you to build a car to your specification, then search against a specified radius surrounding your zip code to see the closest dealer with the closest vehicle match. Or, you can simply choose a dealer and do a search for whatever model. Each includes an option to view a detail of the car's options.

In general, I am disappointed with Lexus website- it really doesnt offer a customer of this type of vehicle to obtain the information that is most useful. Puckeye's whole situation could have been avoided if he was able to help his father out by loggin on to Lexus.com in the first place.

~alpha
    Glenn,

Well, i'll give Jim Roberts some room to find one, but when my dad called him, he always says the, "I'll call you back in 10-15 minutes" line and of course, never calls back. He had to call back 3 times so far.

As a family that has primarily dealt with Honda, I am in utter shock at the terrible customer service being demonstrated with Lexus. I always thought they were a step above so to speak. The first rule, should always be to keep your word. If you can't do something, just say you can't. I hope that Jim Roberts comes through though.

Again i'll say it. I just can't believe buying a black/black Lexus ES300 is so hard. Has anyone else had to jump through hoops just to get the car they want?

Thanks again.

puckeye
    Guys,

So, Jim Roberts did indeed call my dad back and he located the black/black ES300. It will be in later this month. He agreed to match the amazing Lexus of Norwood price, but wanted his business (service, etc.) in the future. A small price to pay for stepping up to the plate in my opinion.

Assuming they match the financing of Lexus of Norwood, he is going with them. If not, he'll search for another dealer.

Glenn, thanks for the reccomendation, you really helped, as did everyone here.

I'll keep you posted!

puckeye
  • lenscaplenscap Member Posts: 854
    My first ES 300, a 1995, was black on black. I remember at the time being told the factory builds cars a certain way for stretches of time. At the time I wanted a black/black car, they were in the black/ivory mode at the factory. Black/black was harder to come by. But six weeks later the black/black cars were easier to find since those were in production. I'm just guessing it's still the same way now, although in 1995 85% of black cars made had the ivory interior. That percentage seems lower today.
  • piver7piver7 Member Posts: 1
    I am considering a 92 ES300 automatic with 120,000 miles on it. What are some questions to ask the owner on maintenance or any other major factors? Thanks!
  • toydrivertoydriver Member Posts: 227
    I'm thinking about buying a new ES300 and need some advice.
    When do the 2004 models come out and are there to be any desirable changes over 2003 models?
    What is the status of the transmission problems that have been posted?
  • gekko2gekko2 Member Posts: 87
    The 2004 ES330 should be here in September 2003. Look for a slight style-refresh, a 3.3 liter engine, and an enhanced transmission.
  • alpha01alpha01 Member Posts: 4,747
    Curious- why do you expect a slight style refresh? Typically for the ES/Camry, Toyota runs a 5 year design cycle with "refreshed" styling in the 4th model year. 2004 would be one MY too early for the ES, if Toyota is keeping with its current trend. Have you heard differently?

~alpha
  • billmahanbillmahan Member Posts: 68
    Does anyone have chrome wheels on their ES300? Any pics of that? $1500 is a lot, but I'd like to see an ES300 with them to see the difference between chrome and stock wheels. Thanks.
    Pattern has been powertrain/engine change (if any) in 3rd year, and style refresh in 4th year. We'll just have to wait and see what Lexus ends up doing.
This discussion has been closed.