Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Lexus ES 300/ES 330

Comments

• pighpenhpighpenh Member Posts: 2
    The engine light on my 1997 Lexus ES300 comes on about once every week or two (through its three on-off cycles) and I want to get the computer code that is causing this light to come on.

I am thinking it might just be the light itself that is the problem, or perhaps something as small as a leaky fuel cap or the oxygen sensor, but obviously I want to be sure of what I have here, without having to take out a second mortgage on my home if some dishonest mechanic, garage or dealership is trained to salivate and retire over every "engine light" that walks through the door.

Is there any method available to determine the code (e.g. - flashing semaphore light, etc.) other than having to take it somewhere to be read by computer?

Or if not, how much should I expect to pay at a (non-dealer) garage just for the service of reading the engine computer code?

Also, a couple of months ago I received from Lexus a California Emissions Warranty Enhancement, enhancing warranty coverage on the Evaporative Control System by extending coverage to the following components for 14 years or 150,000 miles: evaporative storage canister, evaporative system pressure sensor, fuel cap, fuel tank, fuel tank filler neck, purge valve, tank vapor vent line, three-way valve, other parts or components between the fuel tank and the intake manifold.

Methinks something is akimbo. Is anyone aware of what caused Lexus to release this particular notice? I am thinking perhaps this engine light is connected to all this. I am wondering if it is a common occurrence that would be covered by some as-yet unpublished safety recall?

Many thanks in advance for any thoughts or experiences that y'all might have!
  • toydrivertoydriver Member Posts: 227
    I wonder what the status of the transmission problems with '02 - '03 ES300 is. I'm in the market for a new car and wonder if I risk buying a problem.
    I posted this question before with no response. Does that mean the problem is solved for those of you who talked about it before - or was this "problem" an attempt by Lexus competitors to get the attention of prospective customers?
  • gekko2gekko2 Member Posts: 87
    Lexus ES300 Model Cycle
    1992-1993 New Model
    1994-1996 Refresh
    1997-1998 New Model
    1999-2001 Refresh
    2002-2003 New Model
    2004-2006 Refresh
    2007-2008 New Model
    2009-2011 Refresh
    My guess is that your check engine light is for one/all of the following: Oxygen Sensor/EGR Valve Modulator/Vacuum Switch Valve. Aat your next oil change, take it to the Toyota Dealer for the Oil change and tell them that in addition tto your oil change that you have a acheck engine light on. Ask them you'd like it checked bt don't expect to pay them for reading a light because if you do decide get it repaired, they will get the repair business and get paid that way. Tell them you will pay them for the repair, but not the diagnosis. They should do it for free - other dealers do.

It may also be a loose gas cap. check it.

ALSO - check with Lexus (800) 255-3987 Customer Satisfaction - Opt 4 - AND a few Lexus Dealers about any extended warranty or recalls for your car as listedin your previous post. Perhaps you will be lucky and everything is covered gratis. Good luck.
  • lenscaplenscap Member Posts: 854
    The model cycle posted above is incorrect. I know because I had a 1995 ES 300 and my friend had a 1994. They had different front and rear treatments.

The correct cycle is:

1992, 1993, 1994 New Model
    1995, 1996 Refresh
    Major changes in the refresh included: headlights were tinted, foglights changed from round to square, front lower grille had fewer horizontal bars, tailights revised, "ES 300" badge moved from tailight to trunklid.

1997, 1998, 1999 New Model
    2000, 2001 Refresh
    Major changes in the refresh included: additional interior wood around the radio, optional HID headlights, clear-lens fog lamps, clear-lens tailights, "ES 300" moved from trunklid back to tailight, 16" wheels optional.

As for the future, that is pure speculation. But if it follows previous years, any cosmetic changes will not occur until the 2005 model year (the fourth year of the current generation).
  • alpha01alpha01 Member Posts: 4,747
    Direct Hit, you beat me to it. Nice recap of the ES's celebrated evolution. thanks!

~alpha
    sorry I was off by one year. at least I got the ball rolling. thanks for the corection.
    Glad I was able to help and that the info was useful.
  • rparisrparis Member Posts: 368
    I have heard Lexus of Norwood also charges $2-300 for a documentation fee after the deal has been made. I deal with Watertown and Ira both have been upfront with me.
  • rparisrparis Member Posts: 368
    I had the same problem with my 1997 ES300 with the engine light coming on. AFter numerous trips to the dealer they found a loose connection.
  • puckeye2puckeye2 Member Posts: 6
    What is an appropriate documentation fee for the ES300?
  • glenns1939glenns1939 Member Posts: 10
    They all charge doc fees, or added profit "packs"!!!! They vary however, Norwood was $198 and Northboro $145-some as much as $298. Like anything else it is negotiable, but usually by reducing the price of the car-their doc fees are usually printed right on their sales agreements. Get an out the door price including everything-NO SURPRISES- that should be a basis for an offer and they need to be reminded that you mean it. Course the sales tax will add to the price agreed upon-you can't avoid that 5% pill! Good luck, Glenn
  • remle06remle06 Member Posts: 2
    I am looking to lease a new car in the next month. I am choosing between the ES300 and the Acura 2.5 TL. I test drove the Lexus and it was very impressive. I understand that a new model, ES330, is on the way for 2004. Should I wait for the new model? How much will I save by buying the ES 300 now? What are the advantages of the skid control? Are the chrome wheels worth $1,500? Are the transmission problems real or hype?
    1.get the ES300 and not the Acura. Acura is 3rd tier while Lexus is 1st tier.

2. new model, ES330, is on the way for 2005 - not 2004.

3. buy a slightly used 2002 ES300 and sve yourself 20%+ depreciation.

4. Advantages of the skid control are minimal.

5. chrome wheels are NOT worth $1,500 - they look GHETTO.

6. the transmission problems are hype.
  • kreativkreativ Member Posts: 299
    Current TL is an aging design. A redesigned TL (I heard 2004, but that was a couple years ago) with the upcoming ES330 would be a better comparison.

gekko2 - where'd you here ES330 would be 2005, not 2004? All signs point to it being a 2004 model.
  • maxhonda99maxhonda99 Member Posts: 1,289
    lenscap,

Some of your information about the ES300 product cycles is incorrect.

Before the refreshed styling in 1995, in 1994 the ES300 received a new all-aluminum 3.0L V6 and new automatic tranny. the 1993 ES300 came with a 185BHP iron block/aluminum head V6, the 1994 came with a 188bhp aluminum block and head V6.

Also, for the 2nd generation ES300, 1999 also saw the introduction of the 3.0L V6 with VVTi and a jump in power from 200 in 1998 to 210 in 1999.
    aha!!!! so I was right!!!
    As has been said earlier, just think of it as a 5 year design cycle with the general historical pattern of powertrain/engine change in the 3rd year and a design refreshening/minor restyling in the 4th year.

If they keep with this pattern, the ES330 with new 3.3L V6 would be due out '04 model year, and a design refreshining/minor restyling for the '05 model year.
  • alpha01alpha01 Member Posts: 4,747
    that engine upgrades are on a set schedule. Across the Toyota line, it seems that whenever enhancements are made, they are made, and their occurence in the past during the 3rd model year for the ES is somewhat coincidental. I do feel however, that Toyota adheres to the 4th year refresh as a rule of thumb for the ES.

~alpha
  • texas83texas83 Member Posts: 107
    It's been a couple of months since I received my knew car and I wanted to post some things. To review, I bought an '02 ES 300. Everything about the car was great except the transmission (although the Toyo tires did get quite noisy after 10K miles). The transmission issue I considered to be flat dangerous after having several incidents of power failure with the transmission that put me in danger. Basically the problem was you'd hit the gas, the RPM's would fly up and the car wouldn't go anywhere. The transmission improved by disconnecting the battery which seemed to reset it, and then last October I received a software upgrade which improved things some more, but I was still disappointed because it would still fail at times. Lexus was quite arrogant to deal with right down to my Lemon Law hearing. They wouldn't consider settling and even ignored the states requests for information on the matter. The state rep said that was unusual because most manufacturers try to work with the state and the customer. The judge drove the car with me in the passenger seat and the Lexus Rep in the back seat. He was able to get the transmission to fail twice and then asked the Lexus Rep if he would like to settle or hear his decision. The Lexus Rep agreed to settle. I received a brand new '03 for $2100, a good deal considering this car drops in value about 20% the first year, if you include the sales tax in the original price tag. The Lexus Rep later acknowledged that 12% of purchasers are unhappy with the transmission and that makes me think it's probablly much higher since many people just shut up and accept the problem.

The transmission in the new car is better in most cases, though still somewhat disappointing. The slip and surge in stop and go traffic seems to be worse, and it seems to bog down a bit going from first to second gear. I didn't notice that in the '02. The improvement is that I haven't experienced a complete power failure. I've got to tell you that's a very helpless feeling. At times, at higher speeds, I have noticed some slippage when needing to negotiate lane changes in heavy traffic. It's such a shame because I like everything else about the car.

Since I paid top dollar for this luxury Camry, I still expect top quality and a second rate transmission, though improved, is not acceptable. I hadn't heard any complaints about the '03 and was hoping it would be fixed. Also, I'd driven a loaner car where I didn't notice the slippage at all. It does seem to vary a little between cars. Given Lexus arrogance about this issue, I was able to get a little vengence, recently a man came up to me at a filling station and asked me about the car. He was considering between it and a BMW for his wife, and I told him this was a new car because the last one was a lemon, Lexus lost a sale. My next step is to file with the National Transportation Safety Board. I looked into a class action suit, but since I allowed Lexus to settle instead of getting a decision made, I undercut my own case. Bottom line is we need raise as much noise about this as possible. Don't believe them when they say it's about to be fixed. A loss of sales or a big lawsuit will eventually get Lexus attention.
    to texas83 - Did you test drive your 2002 before you bought it?

Top vehicles by category

Here are the top three vehicles, ranked by quality, in their individual market segments, according to the J.D. Power and Associates 2003 initial quality study. The study is based on responses from more than 52,000 people who bought or leased new 2003 cars and trucks. The survey is done in the first 90 days of ownership.

Entry luxury car: Lexus ES 300, Cadillac CTS, Acura TL.

http://www.ajc.com/business/content/business/0503/07jdpowerlist.h- - tml

http://www.usatoday.com/money/autos/2003-05-06-quality_x.htm
    Yes I did. Of course it was just a couple of turns around the street and back to the dealership. They wouldn't let me really test it. I was buying mostly on reputation. I never would have imagined the transmission would have problems.
    While I'm not one who has experienced transmission issues with the new ES, I'm dissapointed at the way Lexus has handled the situation for those who have.

I wonder what the judgement would have been if you didn't settle, since the judge himself was able to replicate the problem twice. Was the choice no longer up to you at that point? It seems Lexus got away easy in making you pay extra to trade in for a same model car in which the transmission still does not satisfy you.
  • mike_e_smithmike_e_smith Member Posts: 20
    I think VSC is a valuable option if you live in a snowy climate. I feel some benefit almost daily in the winter (with 4 snow tires) although we only had 12 feet of snow this year in Syracuse, which is about average. Our worst was around 200 inches last year. I mostly notice it kick in during turns on snow/ice. The overall package is effective although I sometimes wish for AWD. I drove through 40 miles of hell on Christmas day to get to my father-in-law's house and couldn't believe we actually made it. Unfortunately, after we crawled up the extremely steep hill to his driveway, we found it filled with 2 feet of snow. My car couldn't handle that so I had to park on a side road below his house waiting for his plowman to show up and hoping that my car wouldn't get hit by the municipal plow. Needless to say, I didn't have a very relaxing time staring out the window as it got darker and darker. The municipal plow showed up first and was heading for my car, but saw it and veered around it before hitting it. I guess I should have chosen a more temperate climate in which to live. After surviving the last 3 winters without a scratch, I was parked at a gas pump 2 weeks ago and got backed into by a Ford F-150. I have to take the car in this week for fixes to the rear bumper, taillight, and trunk. Not a pleasant experience.
    Thanks for "updating" my post. When I referred to refresh I was talking cosmetic changes - it has always in the past happened in year #4. But you're correct, the mechanical changes you mentioned did happen. Sorry for any confusion.
    Unfortunately the amount I paid was dictated by state statute. I did voice a complaint because the longer you wait and try to work with the dealership the more you have pay for the new car. I still came out ahead.... sort of. In retrospect I should have asked for a decision. I'll know better next time.
  • atoewsatoews Member Posts: 637
    that you would imagine that a 2003 es300 would not have a transmission problem!!!!! there was no hint anywhere that the problem was fixed in 2003!!

The posts on this board discussed this at length, with some new '03 owners complaining about the transmission.

There is even an entire discussion thread devoted to the topic, with '03 owners complaining!!

Quite frankly, it seems very bizarre the you would accept an '03 as a solution to the problem.
  • kingken89kingken89 Member Posts: 13
    I have a 92 ES300 with the door lock/unlock on the key, I'm wondering if mine is working the way it is supposed to. Most keyless, actually all keyless entry cars thats I've seen, besides mine, give you some kind of sign that the doors have been locked/unlocked like the lights flashing, horn honking, or something. Mine doesn't do anything, I have to listen to make sure it's worked. Is this the way they made it back then because it was new 12 years ago? or is something wrong with my car? I bought the car used last October so thats why I have no idea, also I replaced the battery in the key right after I got it because I had to be next to the car for it to work and now it's already that same way like the battery is about gone, is this normal for it to only last 6 months? Thanks, anybody that can help
    I can tell you a '92 LS400 does the same thing - no sign of lock/unlock from remote besides the click of the locks and the blinking of the alarm LED inside. Consider it stealth mode. ;)

A fresh key battery should last you more than 3 years of normal use.
    My 1995 only had an adjustable audible tone - no flashing lights. I believe the flashing lights were added with the 1997 redesign.
  • maxhonda99maxhonda99 Member Posts: 1,289
    kingken89,

Your keyless entry is working properly. THe 92 to 94 ES300 didn't have any lights or audible signals that the keyless entry was locking or unlocking the doors. You basically have to hear for the door actuators.

IN 1995, Lexus added the audible beeps(1 beep for locking, 2 for unlocking) and in 1997 the beep went away and the parking lights flashed instead.
    And now, there's both beeping and lights flashing. Volume of beeping can be adjusted, and both alerts can be turned on/off through C-BEST.
    for all the replies, sounds like my only problem is my dying battery in my key, It only worked real good for the about the first few weeks then it slowly got worse until now it only works when I'm right next to the car, but I guess thats somethin I'll have to deal with having an 11 year old car with 315,000 miles on it. Thanks again
    I don't see why a fresh key battery wouldn't restore the remote range you experienced before. Most Lexus service centers will put in a new battery for you for free, or you can bring the old battery to Radio Shack and get a matching one for a dollar or two.
  • remle06remle06 Member Posts: 2
    It has to be a conspiracy! I have checked CarsDirect.com, Carfax.com and Edmunds for prices for a pre-owned 2002 ES 300. All of them are $30,995 no matter if they have 7K miles or up to 28K miles. I know this not the pricing board, but I could really use your help. Thanks gekko for the excellent advice. I test drove the Lexus and Acura and there was no comparison! The Lexus it is...I just have to negotiate a fair price on a 2002!
    I did get a new battery in my key shortly after I bought the car 8 months ago, I got it from a local Jewler store, i guess its the same battery that watches take, I just can't figure out why it lost it's power so soon after. But I also forgot to say in my last post, I agree with those who said they hate those loud honking or beeping cars when you lock/unlock your doors with the keyless entry, I'm glad to hear the way that Lexus has done the newer models, with the quiet beep and/or flashing of the lights, I just wish mine would do somethin like the newer ones.
  • rtorrecartorreca Member Posts: 74
    Just hit a deer on the way home. :( This is the second time in 2 years. I swear I'm taking up deer hunting this year to help reduce the deer population :). Nobody was hurt, thank God!

The car took some damage on the front-driver side but is driveable. The hood is bent; the right fog lamp came out; the fender is also bent. Can anyone offer any advice as far as selecting a body shop that specifically tailors to Lexus vehicles? State Farm suggested Maaco. Are they any good? Can they match the paint exactly? Any help is appreciated. Thanks.
  • toydrivertoydriver Member Posts: 227
    Purchased a new ES last week. Have driven about 500 miles now and have no complaints about the transmission. Extremely quiet ride and imo good value.
  • mike_e_smithmike_e_smith Member Posts: 20
    I used the Toyota/BMW body shop affiliated with my Lexus dealer (owned by the same family) for the repair I wrote about last week. The truck driver's insurance company paid for everything including the rental. It looks fine and they didn't find any hidden damage after the bumper was removed. Interestingly, the Enterprise minivan that picked me up at the dealership to take me to my rental car backed into a brand new Avalon getting out of his parking space. Deja vu! I'm starting to think bad luck is following me (although I wasn't driving and my car wasn't damaged).
  • dwd01dwd01 Member Posts: 2
    Somehow my daughter managed to lose the battery in my key for her 1993 ES300. Short of going to the dealer, how can I find the type of battery required, so I can just pick one up at Radio Shack? Anybody Know the battery specs?
  • tmarttmart Member Posts: 2,233
    be able to get a battery at Radio Shack.
  • neuroguyneuroguy Member Posts: 34
    I would call your Lexus dealer's service dept. and ask for a recommendation. They would know who does a good job or not. I'm sure they have someone they use and trust when they resell a Lexus, or a new one comes in with some damage. I recently had some work done on my car after paint was dripped on the left front fender by some jerks fixing up the parking deck where I work. It happens that the Lexus dealership here in Charlotte, NC (Hendrick) owns a string of other brands and has their own bodyshop at another dealer's lot (City Chevrolet). They did such a great job repainting the fender you can't tell it from new. I'm sure your insurance company suggested Maaco because they are cheap. I would advise you to look elsewhere.
    My ES300 is a '92. I would guess they are the exact same battery and lucky you, I have my old battery already out of the key sitting here, it is a 3 volt battery and there is a number: CR1216 on the battery. I don't know if that number is just for that brand or not, just incase then the brand says Everyday. but knowing the voltage and seeing the key it fits, they should beable to give you what u need
  • rtorrecartorreca Member Posts: 74
    thanks for the response. That's exactly what I did. The only problem is that the body shop they recommended is about 25 miles away. Meanwhile there are about 10 body shops within a 5 miles radius from my home - most of them State Farm approved.

I decided to go with the dealeship's recommendation to make sure it's fixed properly.

As for how long it will take to repair the car, the body shop informed me that 02 parts are in short supply and may take them a few days just to get them in. They claim last 02 they fixed took 3 weeks because of waiting for parts. Bummer.
  • collegeguy03collegeguy03 Member Posts: 2
    I was just curious what you guys think about this...I'm going into my sophomore year and I decided to finance a car this summer - I'm looking for cars in the $5,000-$7,000 price range. I'm also considering later model Celicas, Corollas, Accords, Civics, and Altimas. However, I feel like having a roomy luxury car. I found one in my area priced at $6,500 which is within my price range. I've heard good things about the reliability of this car (another important aspect in my buying decision - I want something that will last me 7 or 8 years). The car currently has 94K miles and I definitely won't be driving too heavily during the school year. I have yet to test drive this car but I figured I'd get some feedback beforehand. Would this be a wise purchasing decision, and would it last given routine maintenance, as well as careful driving? Thanks for any input, since this is a major investment for me...

By the way...my first car was a POS Toyota but it lasted for almost 170K miles before I ran it into the ground with my admittedly stupid 16 year old driving habits. With a little love and care, I'm sure the car would have made it over 200K and would probably still be running today. So, I'm well aware that Toyotas are some of the most reliable cars on the road - so is the assumption that the ES 300 (even a '92) would be just as reliable correct?
  • alexs95alexs95 Member Posts: 12
    My 2000 ES300 Lexus has 32000 miles. I have had it serviced exactly as the Maintenance Log Book requires. One thing bothers me thought. The book say to check the transmission and differential oil at 30,000 miles but does not say absolutely to drain or flush. The dealer recommends draining. Is this a sales pitch or is it necessary? Thank you.
    You'll probably get alot of response that says dont buy the car with that many miles, but those responses are gonna be from old rich people who buy brand new Lexus'. I say if the test drive goes well then buy the car for sure. Last October I bought my 1992 ES300 with 304,000 on the car, I now have 315,600 miles on the car and not had to do anything but regular maint(just change the oil) in the 12,000 miles I've driven it. I am a college student as well, and I've been raised to love Toyota's. Because mine had so many miles then I only paid $2100 so I thought I was gettin a pretty good deal and since it's lasting then I still think it was a good deal. I would try and talk down the price a little though because just a month before I bought mine then my brother got the exact same car with only 92,000 miles on for around $6500(that was of Ebay). But being a student like you, I'd say go for it, as long as it seems fine when you test drive.
  • raddboy41raddboy41 Member Posts: 249
    Replacing the Trans. and Diff. oil at 32K is money in their pockets. Don't do it...drive, enjoy.
    Don't be astounded. I didn't notice any complaints about the '03. I did see some statements that others thought it was the same transmssion, but no actuals posts. At any rate, the car I have is better than the last one, it's a new car for $2k. Lexus looked stupid in front of the judge, and I saved $5000 in depreciation. Plus, giving new cars for $2k is got to hurt Lexus. I surprised that all you've done is whine. Tell me how you've taken Lexus to task? If others would follow my lead, we might get new transmissions that work. I will continue my assault. I'll probably write the National Transportation Safety Board next.
  • alarmproalarmpro Member Posts: 27
    I have had my new ES300 for 3 months, I can honestly say that this is one of the finest cars I ever bought. Not one flaw or problem. The dealer is truly a Professional. They call to check how we are enjoying our car and ask if there is anything they can do for us. Now that is truly customer service at its best. I know it is early, but so far so good!!

I own a 01 Acura CL-S and this car is just as great if not better! Stop worrying and ENJOY!!!
    Lee in Miami
This discussion has been closed.