Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Lexus ES 300/ES 330

Comments

• movnupmovnup Member Posts: 4
    I am about ready to pull the trigger on a lease of a 03 ES 300 at invoice (invoice $31,202, msrp of $34,981) for 48 months (payment of $451 with about $550 at down). I hear the 04 model is coming out in September of 03 with a 3.3L engine. Can anyone confirm that? I am sure it will cost more and sell over invoice for a while. Should I wait for the 3.3L? How does my price look compared to what others are paying?
  • rparisrparis Member Posts: 368
    Do others feel it is a waste of money to change brake fluid? I believeLexus recommends this after a few years. Before driving a Lexus I never heard of this.
  • suabrahamsuabraham Member Posts: 6
    I have a 98 ES300 with 46000. Now have wet windows(with poor visibility) for a few days after a rain storm or washing (hand or drive through). If I do not put the windows down for 2-3 days(hard to avoid), they do dry out. I must assume that water is getting into my doors. I called Lexus -- they said nothing. My local mechanic said: hand wash. However, I can't avoid driving in rain. Has anyone had this problem with their ES300? If so was it fixed, and how? What was the cost? Appreciate any input.
  • gekko2gekko2 Member Posts: 87
    LEXUS MAINTENANCE RECOMMENDED SCHEDULE

Every 3,750 Miles:
    Oil and Oil Filter Change

Every 30,000 Miles:
    Radiator Coolant Flush/Change
    Air Filter Change
    Transmission Fluid and Differential Fluid Flush/Change
    Brake Fluid Flush/Change
    BG MOA Oil Additive
    BG 44K Fuel Induction Additive

Every 60,000 Miles:
    Spark Plugs Change/Tune-Up
    Power Steering Fluid Flush/Change
    Fuel Filter Change
    Battery Check/Change

Every 90,000 Miles:
    Timing Belt Change
    Water Pump Check/Change

Every 1 Year:
    Exterior Wax/Detail
    Interior Leather/Wood Cleaning and Conditioning/Detail and Carpet Shampoo
    Wiper Blade Inserts Change
  • Suabraham, Had same problem with a 99ES300 and similar problem with a 2002 RX300, maybe not as bad on the RX. I think it has to do with the felt pressed up against the windows. Good for sound insulation, I guess. But, it stays wet longer and puts the moisture back on the window when put up and down. Most vehicles use rubber, or at least my 98 Minivan does. The rubber doesn't retain the water and the windows stay dry. Annoying sometimes, but a small inconvenience for a superb vehicle. It is a flaw in the design, and I don't think it can be fixed without adjusting the window not to touch the felt. That may cause other problems. If you find a solution, let me know. I bet many other people have the same problem, but may not be annoyed buy it.
    Dear rugmankc, Thank you for the input on my wet windows in the ES300. May I infer that if the windows cannot be fixed, nothing terrible will happen to the inside of my doors, e.g., rust. I plan to continue seeking a solution to the problem because of the adverse effect on visibility, including my side mirrors. When/if I am successful, I will let you know. Again, thank you.
  • badgerfanbadgerfan Member Posts: 1,565
    Cars with windows that go down are all designed to allow water to get inside the doors. Drain holes are located at the bottom seam to allow the water to drain out. This design has been common for all cars as it is basically impossible to design a window that slides down be completely water tight.
    Dear Badgerfan. Thank you for easing my mind about water in my ES300 car doors. However, given that I have driven probably every make of American car (Chevy, Chrysler, Ford, Lincoln, Caddy, you name it) as well as a Nissan Maxima, never have I experienced "Wet windows" as I currently am with my Lexus. Again, your input is appreciated. I truly love the car, yet remain concerned about poor visibility when wet.
  • raddboy41raddboy41 Member Posts: 249
    Do the windows not dry within about 1/4 mile after rolling them up?
  • badgerfanbadgerfan Member Posts: 1,565
    Then your problem must be related to the design of the lower seal that contacts the glass and retains moisture, and it must be peculiar to this vehicle as rugmankc stated. I doubt if there is a solution. Maybe applying Rain-X to the side windows will make the retained water bead up and run off quickly?
  • 02es30002es300 Member Posts: 1
    I have a 2002 ES 300 with NAV/LEV. The car has not been without its problems, but lexus of manhattan has always been aggressive at finding the problem and fixing it (even if it has taken two or three trips) Most problems are minor (rattles, squeeks, windnoise) and the transmission issue of which I am sure that you are all aware -- yet no different from my 2002 Lincoln LS V-8. Maybe it has to due with fuel economy regulations? Here is my new problem. I noticed that the wood steering wheel has turned a purplish color that no longer matches the wood on the dash. At first I thought I was crazy and then two other people brought it to my attention. Is this replacable under waranty? Anyone else have this problem?
  • alfaynvalfaynv Member Posts: 5
    Just discovered that the back left window on my 1993 ES300 will not "roll" up. It is in its lowest position and power is apparently going to it since there is a clicking sound in that door when the lever switch is pulled up in an attempt to close it. 1) Does anyone have a ballpark repair figure for such a problem? 2) Since the Camry is a close relative, is this the sort of problem that a Toyota dealer can service? I have not yet called around since the problem just occurred tonight. Thanks for any input.
  • lexloothalexlootha Member Posts: 12
    I have a 2001 ES. My wood wheel began to crack and Lexus replaced it without hesitation. My guess is they will replace the discolored wheel. Good Luck
    Thank you for the input raddboy41, rugmankc, and badgerfan. I do refrain from putting my driver side window down for about 3-4 days after the car has been cleaned or rained on. When I cant avoid putting the window down, and then it goes up, the window is not only wet, but streaky (which reduces my ability to see through to my side mirror). And since you mentioned it, no, the water does not dry up on the window in 1/4mi or so. The typically dirty streaks also adher to the window. I clean the window at the end of the day, only to have it happen the next day if the window must go down, up comes the wet windows with streaking. Will rain-X help?
  • No it won't. The felt material is staying wet and the material is pressed against the glass. Only two solutions, if either will work, is to replace the felt with a rubber strip, or widen the gap between the felt and window. In either case, I would address it with the dealer. Good Luck.
  • 4ali4ali Member Posts: 5
    I called Lexus Canada's 800 number and I told them of my lazy transmission and hesitation problems. They contacted by dealer and they ordered a new computer chip that is a temporary fix until the "true fix" comes out in January. Lexus Canada representative made clear to me that this is not a "defect".

The computer part number is "89666-33442 Engine Computer". I had to wait about a week, but the replacement took about 12 minutes.

Thanks akw3 from Canada for the advice from an earlier message. (I think we both bought our ES300's from the same batch at Don Valley in Toronto).
  • kreativkreativ Member Posts: 299
    Glad to hear your success with getting the '02/'03 ES transmission issue taken care of! This is the first time I've heard Lexus actually issuing a fix for the transmission. Have the problems dissapeared with the new computer chip?

I was told by a tech that the behavior of the "lazy" transmission was an after-effect of Lexus wanting to meet certain emissions standards (ULEV I believe) with the new ES. Perhaps they consider this fix temporary because it no longer makes the car ULEV-compliant. Not a concern for the car owner, but isn't something that Lexus can roll out as a permanent fix as it would void their claims of the new ES being ULEV-compliant.
    That's my guess. :)
  • 4ali4ali Member Posts: 5
    After 2 days of driving around, there is no hesitation problem and instead of feeling sluggish, the vehicle wants to "go".

The character of the ES300 has been changed by the new computer.

Will continue to provide follow-up.
  • optimist2optimist2 Member Posts: 15
    Does anyone know if the new es 300 for '04 will have the transmission fixed?

I love the es 300 but i don't want to buy a lemon. It seems taht both 02 and 03 have had trouble with the transmission, right?

thanks

optimist2
  • gekko2gekko2 Member Posts: 87
    optimist - i think you should thoroughly test drive the car and make your own decision rather than just listen to specious anecdotal evidence.
  • richm4richm4 Member Posts: 169
    I can't believe it would take any car company as long as 27 months to develop a fix to such a common and significant problem.
  • texas83texas83 Member Posts: 107
    I've heard others say.... which I also believe.... that the problem is much more than a software issue. A friend of mine, who's in the industry, has a contact at a Louisiana dealership. He said that the chip has fixed some cars but not all. This is evidence that some cars are worse than others. I'm glad the Canadian was able to get his car fixed. But, I doubt it is a cure all.
  • rtorrecartorreca Member Posts: 74
    I had it installed on mine but the hesitation is still there but to a lesser degree. It feels somewhat different and is a little better but can't say it fixed the problem. Sort of fourth-rate transmission improved to third-rate.

Man, I miss my 99 honda accord v6!
  • kennyg5kennyg5 Member Posts: 360
    I am not a mechanic and know little about how a car works, even though I have been driving for over twenty years. It seems that the tranny problem is spreading among even the most reliable Japanes name plates -- i.e. Lexus (ES 300), Acura (TL/S) and Infiniti (I35/Maxima). I am not sure whether the electronic throttle system (rather than the old mechanical wire system)that is being used in the newer cars has anything to with this problem. New inventions are supposed to be better, but I guess sometimes they are deployed prematurely before thorough testing is completed.
  • noeltynoelty Member Posts: 1
    The ES300 will be replaced by ES330 in 04, in september this year, more hp - 230-240 3.5 L, which should fix the transmission problem.
  • fredvhfredvh Member Posts: 857
    What does the engine size have to do with the 5-speed transmission?
  • lenscaplenscap Member Posts: 854
    The new engine will be a 3.3L, not a 3.5L. It's the same engine now offered in the RX and Sienna (although horsepower may vary).
  • bshickbshick Member Posts: 3
    I know someone who is getting rid of their '97 es300 in the near future, and I mentioned that I might be willing to buy it if the price is right. It's a white and gray combo exterior, has all the options for that year, 67,000 miles, and it's in great condition inside and out except for a electric short that causes the parking brake light to stay on. Would it be worth buying this car?...and if so, what would be a good price for me to get this car at?
    If the brake light is on constantly, check the brake fluid. It could simply be low causing the light. It's more likely than a short in the parking brake. $13,000 - $15,000 is the price range for this car.
  • jkellermanjkellerman Member Posts: 1
    I have a '00 ES300.

Q1: It makes a ticking sound from frontright part of the interior. The sound is like as if some plastic part is lose. And I can only hear it whenever I drive over rought surface. Do any of you have similar problems?

Q2: my leather seat is beginning to crack. Is there any way to prevent it from getting worse?

Thanks in advance for the help!
  • neuroguyneuroguy Member Posts: 34
    A1: Take your car to the dealer and have them track down this rattle/noise. Lexus dealers, at least the good ones like mine (Hendrick Lexus in Charlotte, NC) are real pros at tracking down noises like this. Recently, I thought I had a rattle from the right rear door - I think there's a TSB about the insulation. But when I took it in for routine service and mentioned that noise, they tracked it down to the back of the front passenger seat and fixed it. My '02 ES300 is totally quiet again!

A2: Did you get a car care kit from your dealer when you bought you car? If so, use the leather cleaner then the leather conditioner. If not, then when you got in for the above, check out the parts dept. and see what they recommend for your leather seats in the way of cleaning and conditioning. See this site for proper leather seat care tips:
    http://www.properautocare.com/propleatcar.html
    Instead of using an applicator, apply the leather conditioner with your bare hands. That way you won't waste any into the applicator. Do this treatment at least once a year, twice is better. The Pinnacle products they mentioned are pretty good, but you might also want to check out a conditioner product called Connolly Hide Food. Learned of that stuff when I owned my POS Jaguar X-Type. ;-)

OT - speaking of Hendrick Lexus - also during my recent routine service visit I mentioned the increasing road noise coming from the Toyo Proxes J33 OEM tires. They replaced them with new Michelin Energy MXV4 Plus tires, under "customer goodwill". Wow, what a difference these new tires make! And talk about customer satisfaction!
    I even told them my windshield wipers were streaking and they replaced them at no charge, too! Can't say enough about my dealership!
    jkellerman, I have an 01 ES and I have a ticking noise from the right side of my dash.
    My dealer has been working hard to determine the source. We are reasonably certain it is coming from the A-pillar. However, after replacing the cover, I'm still hearing it. I have another appointment to try again. If your issue is resolved, be sure to share the details. It is driving me crazy, so I'm anxious to find a fix.
  • memoff1memoff1 Member Posts: 2
    I have a 97 es300 and the rear seatbeat does not lock into place. My mother's ls400 has the same problem. Is there an inexpensive fix to this problem other than replacing the seatbelt?
    It is unlikely that both cars have seat belt problems. I'm guessing it's user error. The seat belts have to be fully extended and allowed to retract for the locking mechanism to engage.
    Should you find that there is in fact a problem, the seat belts carry a lifetime warranty (I think) and shouldn't cost you anything to repair.
    Sounds like you're installing a car seat. Good luck.
  • jiaminjiamin Member Posts: 556
    I think to lock the car seat in place, most cars require that seat belt be pulled out all the way until a slight click sound is heard, then let it retract as much as possible to tighten the car seat.
    Sorry lexlootha, I didn't even read your post all through before I posted the same thing. You are 100% correct.
  • hoorayhooray Member Posts: 15
    My 2002 now has an intermittant problem with the right rear window being stuck in the up position. When this happens, it will not go down using the remote, the drivers door switch or the right rear door switch. Today it was at Lexus and since it worked for them today (don't you just love intermittant problems!) they did not do anything. I am frustrated and concerned that it could also get stuck in the down position and ruin my interior if a thnderstom hit. Has anyone else had thjis problem and had it fixed by Lexus? Thanks!
  • mrrogersmrrogers Member Posts: 391
    All season tires are listed as a no cost option for the ES300 on the Lexus website. My Lexus dealer's internet sales person told me that all ES300's come through with the high performance tires. He states that I would need to special order a car to get the all season tire option. I really enjoy all season tires in the wintertime. I dread having to buy rims and snow tires. Why does Lexus do this? I thought the IS was the high performance car, not the ES?
  • richm4richm4 Member Posts: 169
    Putting "high performance" tires on the Buick, er, I mean ES300, is a joke.
  • ipeipe Member Posts: 2
    I recently bought a certified “01 ES 300, 4 sp, w/37k miles and most options and would like a little advice. In the 3 months and 3k miles I’ve had the car I’ve noticed the following; 1) When cold, tends to resist shifting from 2nd into 3rd gear. This occurs between 30-40 MPH and does not happen once warm. 2) Takes anywhere from one quick crank to two to three times to start when cold or warm. My wife’s ‘01 Accord starts easier. Maybe the fuel pump? 3) Periodic rattle in driver’s armrest/door panel on bumpy roads. 4) Alignment adjusted to limits and stills veers
    just a bit at times to the left. 5) “Click” sound coming from back a couple of seconds when first pulling away. Sounds like an auto door lock but it doesn’t lock the doors.

I returned the car one week after purchase about the alignment; the other issues I’ve noticed since then and will be discussing with dealer soon. Overall I really enjoy the car. It’s quiet, smooth and quick. Thanks in advance for any advice and suggestions that you may have!
  • sopecreeksopecreek Member Posts: 203
    I have the same car and experienced (1).
    Usually in cold morning, it resists and then shifts roughly into 3rd. But when the rough shift occurs, it's usually just once, never more than twice. Regarding (2), the engine starts rather vaguely and the exhaust note is not so obvious. I used to have difficulty in determining when to release the turn of key. That may be the reason.
  • lenscaplenscap Member Posts: 854
    You are getting incorrect information. No ES 300 comes with high-performance tires. However, there are all-season tires and "summer-only" tires. Any climate with even the slightest chance for bad weather gets all-season tires. For example, in the Midwest all cars come that way no matter what. In some other climates, like Southern California, the "summmer-only" tires may come on the car. In that case the all-seasons would probably be an option.
  • mrrogersmrrogers Member Posts: 391
    Thanks for your help. Just for the fun of it, I logged on to www.carsdirect.com. I used zipcode 14221 for Buffalo, NY thinking that may represent a snow belt location to Lexus USA Marketing Manager Denny Clements and his top gun staff. I requested a 2003 ES300, and under tires, the listing is, "P215/60 VR16 BSW Performance." That's right a VR rated tire. The option reads, "P215/60 R16 AS."
  • ipeipe Member Posts: 2
    Thanks for the info. Did you talk to the dealer about the rough shift or just live with it?
  • sopecreeksopecreek Member Posts: 203
    Well, it doesn't bother me much so I live with it.
    "When cold, tends to resist shifting from 2nd into 3rd gear". Are you sure that it resists shifting from 2nd to 3rd, or it resists shifting from 3rd to 4th (overdrive)? Many cars are designed not to shift into overdrive when cold. My Altima, Maxima, RX300 and QX4 all say that in the owner's manual.
    Nope, pretty much all V6 Toyotas don't shift from 2nd to 3rd until higher RPMs when cold. It's designed into the system and is nothing to worry about.
  • neuroguyneuroguy Member Posts: 34
    As lenscap said, you are getting bogus information. You shouldn't need to special order a Lexus just to get the type of tire you want on your vehicle. I would speak to someone else at the dealership. They should be able to just switch or install the type of tires you want at no charge, if the dealer is worth anything.

Heck, as I mentioned in another post, I complained to my dealer (Hendrick Lexus, Charlotte, NC) about my Toyo Proxes J33's excessive road noise - after ~7,000 miles. They replaced them with Michelins at no charge under "customer goodwill". Now that's a GREAT dealership for ya!
    ipe:
    You referenced a clicking noise when first pulling away. I noticed a similar noise in my 01 when I first got it. I took it back to the dealer only to learn that it is quite normal. It has been a couple of years so I don't recall the exact explanation, but it has something to do with the brakes adjusting themselves. Every RX300 loaner that I have driven makes the exact same noise, and it is even more noticeable than the ES. After 2 years and 30k miles, I still have the noise. You need not worry about it.

mrrogers:
    I echo neuroguy's assertion that the dealer will swap tires. When I selected my car, it had Bridgestone tires on it. I simply told the dealer that I wanted the Michelin. They swapped with another car. No resistance, no discussion, no problem.
  • slov98slov98 Member Posts: 112
    I have the 03 camry v6 and also hear a click at the beginning. I read on the camry board that the clicking noise is the antilock breakes turning on
This discussion has been closed.