Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Lexus ES 300/ES 330

Comments

• esaodesaod Member Posts: 4
    Has anyone had luck finding nice well fitting all weather mats for the 2003 ES. I bought the generic "cut to fit" ones last winter but they were still not a great fit and look cheap. The ones I saw on the internet say they are made for this car but the diagram shows a cut out for the left foot rest that doesn't appear that it would fit well.
    Thanks
  • s852s852 Member Posts: 1,051
    Will they ever make an ES330 based coupe (Lexus version of the Solara)?
    The SC is the only Lexus coupe, but the tiny back seat and high price removes it from consideration.
    The styling of the ES330 is so frumpy and the IS is so cramped, 90's-looking and un-Lexus-like.
    I imagine Lexus will update the styling of the ES330 for the 2006 model year, but there is only so much improvement you can expect from new head and tail lights.
    A sexily-styled Lexus coupe in the same price range as the ES330 should be a hit.
  • szellersszellers Member Posts: 22
    Test drove the new 2004 TL last night and what a difference in the ride, handling, and features from my 99 TL. Just sold my 99 TL and now I have to make a decision on what I want to buy. I was offered 31,444.00 for the ES330 with six disc CD changer, wheel locks, and cargo net included. I am just not sold on the new ES body but it being a Lexus, I know there would be a certain status to it. Then again, I love the new TL, but would have to pay MSRP of 33,125.00, but has so many more features for the money and an unbelievable sound system with new DVD audio, DTS 5.1. Help me decide.
  • r1_97r1_97 Member Posts: 181
    How can someone else tell you what you prefer? They're both good cars. Take another long test ride in both and go with your heart.
  • sortersorter Member Posts: 146
    The TL looks sharp outside, but it doesn't impress me more than anything the Mustang can offer. In term of interier, personally I like the woods in the lexus, and the over-all up scale feel of it. I don't think the TL interier is any better than any "sporty" family sedan priced at the $25k range. And there are many other choices out there if you really like the "features". TL is trying too hard to be a BMW, with the $33k price tag, it is not wise to lose those prefer luxury over 0-60.
  • lenscaplenscap Member Posts: 854
    Lexus will freshen the styling of the ES in 2005 (this has already been stated by Lexus) and then completely redo the car in 2007.

There will not be any coupe based on the ES. A FWD coupe in this price range would be particularly bad since most buying a coupe would want a RWD performance car (notice the FWD Acura CL was dropped because of poor sales after only three years).

Your opinion of the ES looking frumpy is interesting. I happen to love the look of the ES. Many friends who have the last ES tell me how much more upscale and substantial my car looks compared to the last one. I guess to each his own.

As for the coupe, there WILL be an IS coupe when the car is redesigned about one year from now (as well as a convertible I believe). This, too, has been confirmed by Lexus. You should wait a year as this may be the car you're looking for.
    If people are able to deal with the front drive in the ES330 sedan, they should be able to deal with it in a coupe if they are buying for looks and comfort (and a reasonable sub $35K price), not skidpad and drag race performance.
    The ones buying for performance, would get the IS coupe or a G35 coupe and those looking for a Mercedes coupe alternative would get an SC.
    I think the current ES330 looks like it was designed for an older driver (like people who cross shopped the car with Toyota Avalons rather than BMWs and Acuras) than the previous 2001's. Maybe, you could call it "upscale," but it has zero sportiness to it. On the other hand, the IS300 is too sporty, unrefined and "Toyota-like" for being a Lexus.
    The Lexus GS blends sportiness and luxury well sort of the way BMW and Acura do, but it is in a different price class than the ES.
    Oh well, if they have already decided against a coupe too bad.
    Maybe the new IS sedan and coupe will be a better compromise between, sportiness, style and the expected Lexus-level of comfort than the current IS and remain in the current price range. If so, that should take care of it.
    Door edge guards used to be big in the 80s but they have really fallen off the radar. Now they're used more as a dealer profit-maker on lower end cars.

If somebody is that concerned about door chips they just seem to be more careful when they open their door. Also, the guards can vibrate over time and chip off the paint by themselves. Plus, after a few months they cannot be removed without leaving a mark.

Not to mention the fact they are very unattractive.
    I don't know what mats you looked at, but the best ones by far are the WeatherTech mats. They are practically indestructable. I still have the ones from my 1995 ES in my 2002 ES and they are as good as new. My experience is they fit fairly well since they have a different mat for each kind of car (I know others that have them as well).

Check them out at mats.com.
  • kreativkreativ Member Posts: 299
    '02+ ES has clear edge molding on a portion of the rear door frames. Something similar to this material would be ideal if you want to put some sort of edge guard on the doors themselves.
  • simmomisimmomi Member Posts: 11
    Does the ES330 have heated side mirrors? I've not seen anything to say that it does.

Also, I read somewhere that if you push one of the seat memory buttons twice, this will cause the driver's seat to move all the way back. Is this true?

Thx in advance...hope to be joining the ES ownership club soon!
  • nfjnrnfjnr Member Posts: 25
    I bought a set of front floor mats at Kmart. They are made by 1st Auto, are heavy duty vinyl and have big nibs on the underside to avoid slipping.They cost $15.00, and fit reasonably well. No need to do any cutting. Nice thing for me was they are clear.Works fine for me keeping the carpeted mats clean. Incidently, happened to see what looked like the same product but made by Car and Driver in Target, and they were $13.00
  • blueclieblueclie Member Posts: 1
    where can i buy mudguards 4 my ES330?
  • jragostajragosta Member Posts: 26
    The ES330 has heated mirrors standard.

As for mudguards, I can't find them. The dealer says that they're not available - which is a shame since the design of the wheel wells means that lots of mud ends up on the car. If anyone knows where to get them, I'd be interested.
  • lexusrocklexusrock Member Posts: 74
    I noticed that piece too and yes if lexus uses that from factory already it'd be paint friendly. Wonder if anyone tried that. It seems better looking than some of the door guards out there. Putting it on door edge also seems to be more useful than what's placed as std. right now.
    I would not recommend mud guards at all. Personally I think they are very ugly and look tacked on, as do most people I know. Most nicer cars don't have them because they look so out of place and ruin the overall look of the car. There is good reason why Lexus does not offer them.

Even Honda/Acura, which had the front mud guards standard for so many years, have moved away from them. Part of this is because a lot of Honda/Acura owners complained and also over time they may vibrate which leads to rust.

Also, I'm not sure what you mean when you say the design of the wheel well means mud winds up on the car. My ES's wheel wells are no different than any other car, and I have had no problems with mud and other debris sticking to the areas behind the wheels.

But, if you must have the mud guards best of luck in your search.
  • fowler3fowler3 Member Posts: 1,919
    "notice the FWD Acura CL was dropped because of poor sales after only three years."

Ummm, I recall seeing the first CL in 1995 or 1996 when I lived in Virginia. Acura/Honda has offered the CL for a long time with few changes. That may be why it stopped selling. The Accord coupe was a better buy with cleaner styling.

fowler3
    "Ummm, I recall seeing the first CL in 1995 or 1996 when I lived in Virginia. Acura/Honda has offered the CL for a long time with few changes. That may be why it stopped selling. The Accord coupe was a better buy with cleaner styling."

The CURRENT Acura CL was dropped after three years. The CL's history:

1/3/95 - Introduced as the concept CL-X
    3/15/96 - On sale; billed as a near-luxury coupe
    3/1/00 - After four years, redesigned model on sale; billed as a performance coupe
    Spring 03 - Acura annnounces CL will be dropped at end of 2003 model year

The first CL lasted four years, a short time by car standards. The car's focus shifted from luxury to performance with the redesigned model. As I said, performance coupe buyers (especially for cars $30,000+) want RWD. That, combined with the fact the coupe market is not that big, is why the current CL was dropped after only a three-year run. Acura wanted to use the development dollars on bigger volume cars.
    The delivered floor mats on rear don't have any hole to hookup and lexus does not provide hooks like the ones on the front floor, depsite the floor itself does have a ring hole to fix a hook. Anyone does something there to prevent the rear mats from moving around?
    Do most of you have lexus dealers service your lexus? Can you share how they charge for 5K, 7.5K, 15K and 30K miles service to es3X0? I am seeing $100 for 5/7.5K and $300 for 15K. Sounds high or about right?
  • texas83texas83 Member Posts: 107
    Oh my god. How are you able to deal with such a horrible problem? I'd sell the car.
  • arungarung Member Posts: 8
    One of dealers I am bargaining said dealership charge adv money(LDA) which comes around 397 after all other charges.processing fees for dealers are different also (100-239)
    The I car price I am interested jumps upto around 32999 which comes to be 1600 over invoice before tax/tags and this is for Base +premium plus(as seen on Lexus.com)
    what do you guys think.
    No need to be sarcastic, unless it's just part of you. I saw ring holes on the rear floor and simply wonder why it's not used like the ones on front. The mats do move around esp. with kids. It'd be nice lexus did the same on the rear.
    Does base 330 (non NAV/ML) still come with an 86-watt audio system like 300's? I am always puzzled why lexus did that. Lots of non-lux sedans come with std. audio of over 100 watts. With ML virtually non-separate from NAV, many buyers have to settle a lux car with just very basic audio. I guess other than driving itself, looks matter more...
    It doesn't matter how many watts it has, just how good it sounds.
    However, I test drove an ES330 and the base radio will impress few. It sounds pretty mediocre at best. Maybe worse than the base stereo in the 2001 ES300.
    If you care about sound quality enough to inquire about it, you will not be satisfied.
    I have several comments on the issue. First, you have to remember that the Lexus is about 3-6 db lower background sound level than most other cars. Call it 3 db which is probably fair when compared to an Acura TL or Infiniti G35. In order to get the same sound / background ratio, you'd need 172 watts in those other cars - just to be even. And that's even ignoring the fact that you're bombarding your ears with twice the noise levels.

As for the sound quality, I'd have to disagree with s852. It's not a bad stereo at all. If you're a teenager playing your stereo at ear-busting levels, you'll be disappointed. If you're one of those audiophiles who pretends that he can hear the difference between $50 audio cables and $100 audio cables, you'll also be disappointed.

But for the average Lexus owner, it's a nice enough sound system. Not world class (that's why they offer the ML upgrade), but certainly a nice, pleasant stereo.
    I happened to test drive/listen one with ML and one w/o, and I have to say the difference is very noticeable. I'd bet most people would be willing pay a few $$$ to get the ML option along had they listened to both. I am not sure pure watt # can mean richer sound or it's just volume. Maybe the ML technology itself simply makes the sound so much enjoyable. You got to play CD or at least stereo FM to tell.

The problem is that you can't get ML along. To get it you then have to dough out $$$$ to get NAV also. That is stopping many people from getting ML. I just think that a base audio for a lexus should be better.
    The better stereo should be standard in a luxury brand like a Lexus. The base stereo belongs in a Camry.

Maybe the ML will be standard in the updated 2005 ES330 since the 2004 Acura TL now has a great stereo system standard and the 2005 ES will be getting a mild facelift and probably some new standard features.
  • rbrrbr Member Posts: 113
    I know its not listed as an option, but is there any way to get this hard wired into an ES330? I noticed that you can now get this feature on the LS 430, and I would think the wiring would be similar.

Thanks in advance if anybody knows anything.
  • dardson1dardson1 Member Posts: 696
    Wouldn't call myself an audiophile but I do have gold plated plugs, and high dollar cables in my home system. In fact I've got about $5k tied up in my amp, preamp, and 2 speakers which is modest $ for serious audio guys, but maybe qualifies me as something more than a casual music person.
       Wife's 01 with the stock stereo sounds darn good to me. It has sharp highs and generous lows. I think the thing in the middle behind the back seat is a subwoofer (does the '03 have that?). What ever it is it can generate a clear bass able to vibrate the rear-view mirror (and my driver's seat). The sound is clear, sharp, and undistorted at all but the highest loudness levels. Suits me fine.
        I drove an 02 over-night last year while we were having service (you can't beat that for a loaner car). While I didn't have time to give it a thorough test, I did slide in a CD. The stock stereo sounded good but not like the one in our '01. When we bought the '01 the sales manager (straight as an arrow with me throughout the process) told me there was no reason to buy the upgraded stereo as the stock one was just as good. I'm wondering, did Lexus bump the standard stereo down a notch to ecourage an upgrade?
    I suspect that there were significant stereo changes in '02 - since the entire car was redesigned. My '04 apparently has the same stock stereo as the '03 - and presumably the '02.

I've been listening hard to my stock stereo. I wouldn't consider it a world beater, but it's adequate for the average Lexus owner. However, I think I want something with better highs and more solid bass. I'm thinking of upgrading the speakers.

Does anyone know where I can find the detailed specs on my system (04 ES330 stock stereo). It looks like a 6 1/2" in each door, subwoofer on the rear deck, and tweeters in the front door. Any information on the details would be appreciated.
  • mrrogersmrrogers Member Posts: 391
    I checked on the Crutchfield website, and there is no listing for speaker sizes for 2002-2004 Lexus ES. The 2002 Camry with the JBL stereo option lists 6 1/2" door speakers and 6 1/2" rear speakers. Good luck!
  • hk2lahk2la Member Posts: 53
    Recently, I was crawling at 30mph on the freeway and felt a very very hard, jolting shift (the car was not otherwise shifting into another gear). It was such a hard jolt, it felt like someone hit my car. Has anyone had this experience? I am really starting to hate Lexus.

Also, for L.A. locals, have you had any experience with the service dept at Longo in El Monte? thanks.
  • rparisrparis Member Posts: 368
    I hae owned several ES300/330 vehicles , and I think the stereo is mediocre at best. Certainly NOT what one one expect.

The stereo in my RX300 is FAR superior; in fact no comprison.
  • kreativkreativ Member Posts: 299
    I've seen this brought up in the past, and word was the Japanese market ES (called the Toyota Windom) had the hooks for the rear mats while the US market ES didn't. Beats me why this is, but that was the explanation for why the ringholes are present but not being used.

hk2la - I get a lunging sensation similar to what you described when stopped (e.g. at a traffic light) with the A/C on. It feels like I was bumped from behind by another car. It was attributed to the A/C compressor turning on and off.
  • texas83texas83 Member Posts: 107
    I was feeling the exact same hard bump, but after the software upgrade, I only slightly notice it. I still have problems with a slip and surge in slow traffic and on top of the hesitation delay sometimes I can hit the gas and watch the RPM's fly to redline like I've thrown it in neutral. The car goes no where for a while and I consider it dangerous. I've found an attorney who would like to talk with me hopefuly next week. It may be an expensive option, but I'm mad enough now to take it to that level. The Lexus Rep. in Atlanta told me the software upgrade would positively fix the problem. Now he says there never has been a problem, and dealers who claim there is are misinformed. It flat makes me sick because I bought a Lexus so I wouldn't ever incur problems like this. There's nearly two years of posts of complaints on the tranny problem, not to mention a specific talk site, and Lexus says it's all in our heads.
    One of the first things I do when I shop a car is slide a CD into the stereo. The car moves off my list if the sound isn't very good. One of the things we love about our '01 is the very nice sound system (standard Premium Stereo).
        According to reviews and specs on this site the '01 had a standard 195 watt system compared to the new version with an 86 watt stereo. Too bad considering you gotta cough up $6k to upgrade to the ML available only with the Navigation option.
    That explains why I remember the standard radio in an 01 ES300 I test drove sounding decent while the 04 ES330 I recently test drove sounds fair to mediocre.
    Maybe the ML stereo will move to standard equipment next year at the refreshening of the model or they will add some kind of reduced price "Value Package" including the ML stereo to spark interest as the ES330 moves into its final few years of this body style.
  • babs43babs43 Member Posts: 13
    I'm not a stereo expert, but when I test drove the 2004 ES 330 one thing I did notice was that the stereo wasn't the greatest sounding. I thought it was just me, but after reading the previous posts I'm thinking it's not just me!

I do agree that the price to upgrade the stereo along with Navi is a little steep. I'd like the better stereo, but I'm not really interested in the navi.

I'm also looking at the M45, and that radio stereo sounds much better to me. Any opinions?
    What "brainiac" at Lexus decided a middle of the road sound system is good enough for this car and that getting a good one should be combined with the Nav system for $6k? Somebody oughta get fired for that dumb idea.
    The ML audio combined with the nav is not $6,000. Retail on the nav/ML package is $3,120. That's half of what you're saying it is. You're probably pricing a car that has additional options factored in.

The package breaks out like this:
    Nav - $1,650
    Premium Package (6-disc CD/outside mirror memory) - $570
    ML - $900

Both of these options are in high demand and that is why they package them together. It may not be what everybody wants, but it's probably easier to have these cars equipped in as few ways as possible when shipping them here from Japan.

As an aside, it's interesting to note the price of the nav went down this year vs. 2003. It used to be $2,000 (now $1,650). The ML went down also as it used to be around $1,200.
  • marinrainmarinrain Member Posts: 4
    I asked about this too - in the Nav version it said 'Am/Sat' on the button - the salesman researched and the answer I got was the car is ready but needs the XM kit (like the LS430) and it won't be ready until 'probably next year' ... the kit for the LS430 'might work' but they won't do it. (I'm deciding between Acura TL and Lexus and this is an important issue for me.)
    Lexus' decision to low ball base audio with a high end ML option that's to be part of NAV, and practically often some other options (VSC, AVS, ABrake, Sunshade...) in a package is indeed puzzling. You go to any dealer you'd find that there're lots more ES w/o NAV/ML than ones with it. So that means even Lexus is not expecting too many buyers to up go to the top package. So why make the audio in the models that most buyers would get, so non-luxurious? Is it one way to cut cost, betting that most people would not mind audio as much as the look and the feel (other than that to the ears of course). Not a bad bet considering most people do not turn on audio when test drive a car.

I'd bet many buyers presume that even a base audio in a Lexus got to be decent enough, so why bother with all these additional options, only to realize later that gee, how come it sounds so.., so-so. But most would just have to live with it and focus the feels to the body, and eyes, and maybe soul, but just say sorry to the ears!
  • lehighlexuslehighlexus Member Posts: 94
    total production 6% for next month on vehicles with Nav/Lev. I know for us it doesn't make a difference. We sell an equal amount with or without. Can't keep any on the lot of either type though.
  • rbrrbr Member Posts: 113
    Thanks -- you actually mentioned something that I didn't know or notice before -- that there is a button on the NAV version, and I'm glad to hear its in the works. I'll have to look more closely at my ES330 brochure tonight. I am actually looking at the same two cars (with an Accord EX
    V-6 w/nav as a back-up option)

Did that mean, to the dealer, that the XM module could be retrofitted into an ES330 purchased now at some point in the not-to-distant future? I suggest you push them on this a bit, if you haven't already. XM should sound fantastic on the ML stereo.

Note to lehighlexus -- the 2004 Acura TL now offers XM standard -- to the extent Lexus/Toyota could at least state that it can be done on the ES330, with an approximate price, that would give me some comfort that I dont have to give up XM to get an ES330. Thanks
    Since I've been looking (lately) the new car section on this site listed the ML/Nav option on the '04 @ $6000+. This afternoon after reading your message I re-checked the new car option page for the ES330 (wondering myself if I misread it)......same $6k retail price listed for the ML/Nav. Tonight, it shows the prices you mentioned. Either I'm crazy or someone here caught the mistake and changed it. Anyone else notice it?
        Either way, since I could care less about a Nav System I'm looking at $3k for a good sound system which is kinda stiff.
    dardson1 says: "Either way, since I could care less about a Nav System I'm looking at $3k for a good sound system which is kinda stiff. "

Well, you could easily spend that much on a comparable third party stereo - and it probably won't sound as good since the ML is tweaked for the car.

However, you might want to try out a nav system some time before making your decision. I had one on my old Acura and loved it. I wish I could have gotten one in my ES330 (but it would have put me over the budget my company allowed). They're very, very useful.

Of course, if you've lived in the same small town for 50 years and never leave town, it's probably no good to you. But we loved ours.
  • lehighlexuslehighlexus Member Posts: 94
    There is a button for it on the Nav system in the LS430 and ES330. Only the LS430 is prewired for it though. The ES is not prewired for it yet, so it will probably be next year.
  • msamelmsamel Member Posts: 2
    After experiencing the jerky transmission in the 2002 ES 300, I was told that the "fix" would come by year end 2002. When that didn't happen in early 2003, I filed under the lemon law and was treated in an excellent manner by Lexus Corporate. I was flipped into a 2003, charged usage, and the 2003 had the same problems. Then the fix came out, and after the fix, it was just as bad as before the fix. After complaining, with 1,200 miles on it, they then flipped me into the new 2004 ES 330, telling me that with the "new" transmission, there would be no such problems. well, with only 650 miles on the car, there is definitely the same problems as the prior years. I have not complained yet, but I probably will ask for a refund. With Lexus admitting to the 2002-2003 problems, and coming up with a fix, they certainly can't say that there is no problem. I'm very interested in hearing from ES 330 owners. My 1999 Toyota Solara, and 1992 Camry, ride beautifully, with transmissions acting the way they should. This is terrible.
    I'm sorry you're experiencing such trouble. My 2002 ES 300 had no trouble at all. I still had the update done and now I do notice the car being smoother than ever.

If you were that unhappy with the 2002 ES 300, why didn't you test drive the 2003 before agreeing to buy it? It seems a 5-minute test drive would have alerted you to an issue with the transmission if it was that bad. Same for the 2004, why not drive it first?

Again, I hope everything works out to your satisfaction. It's amazing Lexus kept giving you new cars.
This discussion has been closed.