Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Lexus ES 300/ES 330

Comments

• tmarttmart Spring, TXPosts: 1,013
    First place to check is your dealer's parts department. They are easily available.
  • paguy2paguy2 Posts: 26
    Most of new 2005 ES 330's are coming with 17"Tire/Wheel. Lexus web site and brochure has a note that these tires may last for less than 20K miles under certain driving conditions. What does that all mean? Can somebody shed light on this.
  • maxhonda99maxhonda99 Posts: 1,289
    paguy2,

Lower profile tires usually last less. But I believe the 17" tires on the ES330 are still V-rated tires(16" are also V-rated).

The notice though is basically just to cover their [non-permissible content removed]*es. The tires should last more than 20K miles, but it all depends on driving style.
  • gambiamangambiaman Posts: 132
    The right rear window quit working on my 02 ES 300. Does anyone have any suggestions? Do the windows have separate fuses? Luckily it is up and won't go down so there has been no rush to get it fixed. All the other windows work properly.
    Thanks
  • Hey guys,

I was thinking if the new ES 330's CD player can play those CD-R disks? (the ones that we burn from our computer) or not? It will be great if CD-R disks can be play in the new ES :)
  • tmarttmart Spring, TXPosts: 1,013
    Why would you think they wouldn't play? They work in my wife's ES300.
  • haha thanks. Just to double check :P

B/c I heard some Japanese car's CD player don't support CD-R
  • atoewsatoews Posts: 637
    Mine did the same thing. 2002 ES300. They had to replace the window motor.
  • kennynmdkennynmd Posts: 424
    Can anyone tell me the part number or numbers for the cabin air filter? Also if possible a website to buy lexus parts at discount prices? Thanks
  • The transmission in my 2004 ES is the worst one I have ever had. It is sluggish, slow to respond, shifts up and down frequently. This is really a problem when accelerating after slowing down but also from start. The dealer/service has reset the transmission computer but insist there is nothing wrong. I have 5000 miles now and can truly say that I regret this car purchase because of the transmission.
    My previous Camry beats this car hands down, and it was 10 years old. I won't buy another Lexus product until or unless this is fixed.
    Also, the cupholders stink!
    Suealbert
  • 307web307web Posts: 1,033
    Did they do anything to improve the shifting on the new 2005s or are waiting for the complete redesign for 2007 models?
  • scoti1scoti1 Posts: 676
    http://www.cleveland.com/business/plaindealer/index.ssf?/base/bus- iness/1090056830180623.xml

Go to this article to read about 8 year/80,000 mile warranty extension to correct rotten egg/sulfur odor due to catalytic converter probelm.

The following vehicles are covered:

2002-2003 Lexus ES 300s
    2003-2004 Lexus GX 470s
    2002 to 2004 Camrys
    2003 and 2004 4Runners
    2003-2004 Corollas
    2004 RAV4s
    2002-2004 Solaras
    2004 Highlanders
    2001-2004 Sequoias
    2003-2004 Matrixes
  • My folks have a 2004 ES330 that I've driven fairly extensively, particularly recently while they have been out of town. I have known about the transmission issue for some time and was mildly hesitant about recommending this car to my parents for that reason. However, the test drives demonstrated nothing untoward and there was nothing else at the price that was nearly as suitable for them so they went ahead with the purchase.

After 4000 miles, I concur that the powertrain can be confused at low speeds (5-25/30 mph) when you press the accelerator after coasting for some time. This can result in a somewhat abrupt lurch forward. I am not sure whether this is necessarily a transmission problem or something related to the drive-by-wire programming.

OTOH, after only a few miles I had learned how not to evoke this response. (In a nutshell: Ease onto the accelerator after you've been coasting/braking, particularly while executing a "rolling stop.")

Other than this annoying but minor and easily circumvented problem, I can't find anything wrong with this transmission. And unlike my parents, I consider myself to be a demanding and perceptive driver. Shifts are reasonably quick and seamless, downshifts (albeit sometimes requiring a heavier-than-ideal throttle foot) and gear selection appropriate. At no time have I experienced anything that could be called dangerous.

It is certainly not as perfect as the tranny in the 7-series BMW I drove last week. I would also venture that the transmission does not quite match up to the polish of the rest of the ES330's mechanical components. But it is certainly within the acceptable range for modern cars in its class.

In summary, I don't regret advising my folks to purchase this car. IMO, it is the class of the near-luxury field (as long as you are not inclined to sporty driving) and the rest of the car more than makes up for what is a very minor powertrain issue.
  • 307web307web Posts: 1,033
    Maybe the dealers should offer classes on how to work around the transmission's shifting problems.
  • LOL! Perhaps I should hire myself out.
  • sarahsarah Posts: 19
    I agree 100%. You can't put a slender water bottle like poland spring in the holder lest it ejects itself and slams into anywhere inside the car. I complained that to the sales person when I saw him last time,he agreed.
  • Do Toyota and Lexus deliver the safety and customer satisfaction they claim?

At Toyota and Lexus dealers, and the Edmunds Town Hall website, owners frequently complain of hesitation and surging in 2004 models (Camry, Highlander, Sienna, ES330 and RX330). Yet, Toyota claims there is no defect, and no safety problem with the transaxle and drive by wire throttle/software system—this is “normal” performance because all their cars do it.

Based on the NHTSA database of 2004 owner reports:
    • There are 13 reports of accidents with property damage, personal injury and one death related to the transmission/throttle system. (7 times the equivalent Ford and Honda accident rate!).
    • Owners of V6 models (Sienna, ES330 and RX330) are 15 times more likely than Ford and Honda owners to file a hesitation/surging complaint—Could it be because a) they have more problems b) Toyota refuses to acknowledge (or fix) the problem and c) it’s NHTSA’s job to step in when a manufacturer won’t voluntarily correct their safety defects?
    • The majority of V6 Toyota owners filing a hesitation/surging complaint state the car is unsafe. (Of the significantly fewer transmission complaints from Ford and Honda owners, none reported it as a safety hazard!)
  • In addition to being stuck with Toyota's transmission/drive by wire screw up that they won't fix, we paid too much for it.

Toyota's profit was $10.24 BILLION in fy2003, more than GM, Ford, and Daimler-Chrysler combined! Toyota/Lexus is charging (and we are paying) way too much for their diminishing quality
  • I have a 2002 ES300 with 30K on it and my right rear window stopped working, they had to replace the motor assembly. The car was still under warranty and took about 2 hours to repair,so it was not to bad. Good Luck!!
  • ddm2ddm2 Posts: 15
    Toyota's profit is more (as per your post)than the others combined because they produce great cars in an efficient way. The reason that you are on this message board (not Ford, GM etc.) is either you are smart and own a Toyota/Lexus or that you wish you had a Toyota/Lexus!
  • In the past, their huge profits came from customers paying extra for quality and customer satisfaction. Now the sales premiums are shrinking and they have to stiff their customers and avoid fix programs to keep profits growing. If they were as good as they used to be, their 2004 models wouldn't have 2 to 5 times more complaints than their competitors at NHTSA.

You don't have to guess at my reason for being on this board. Unfortunately, many of us own one of their transmission screwups and paid them a premium for the privilige of driving an unsafe car. Read the posts, many won't be back. Hope TM reads the posts and find the integrity they lost.
  • 330330 Posts: 4
    I have a 2004 ES 330. 15000 miles on it.
    Dealer wants 425$ plus sales tax to do service.
    I'm thinking to have OIL& FILTER replaced somewhere else.-BUT i do not know how to reset MAINTENANCE REQUIRED light flashing on dash.
    Also what else maintenance required at 15000 miles
    (dealer also wants to replace transmission fluid?
    air filter)
    At the last oil change they charged 10$ for some additive to the oil-what are they using?
    Please let me know ASAP
  • kreativkreativ Posts: 299
    330 - your ES came with a booklet that lists the scheduled maintenance at each interval. Follow the guide in determining when certain fluids and parts should be replaced. Dealers almost always recommend you replace them earlier (like your dealer wanting to replace the transmission fluid and air filter at 15K) because it means more profit for them. There's no reason to ignore the Lexus engineers who determined the scheduled maintenance guide in favor of the dealer who's after your money. The best thing to do would be to check the color of the fluid and the condition of the filter yourself. But in lieu of that, just follow the scheduled maintenance guide in your owner's manual.

$425 + tax for 15K mile service is very high. Other Lexus dealers charge half that, but probably don't change certain fluids/filters prematurely. The 15K service amounts to an oil change, an A/C filter change, and a tire rotation. The A/C filter you can easily change yourself by getting the same part at a Toyota dealer and following the instructions in your user's manual - it is perhaps the easiest maintenance/replacement task to perform on this car (A/C filter is behind the glove box, takes 5 minutes). Yet, many Lexus dealers will charge $80+ for the part and labor when you can do it yourself for $25 or less. Many Lexus dealers charge a signficant amount OVER Toyota's list price for parts.

As for the additive to your oil at your last service, Lexus (and other car manufacturers, like Honda) specifically does not recommend against using any additional additives to the oil. It's just a profitable add-on service for the dealer, since it likely costs them next to nothing for this additive compared to how much they're charging you.. Most of them are snake oil at best, and some can even do more harm than good.

Lastly, if you'll be taking your car elsewhere for an oil change, the best thing you can do for your car is purchase your own motor oil and oil filter, and pay for only the labor while you watch them do the change. This way, you're assured the best quality oil (of the right weight for you car) and filter while paying significantly less than you would at a Lexus dealer. If this is too much hassle, then try taking it to a Toyota dealer. Changing the oil in an ES is practically identical to changing the oil in a Camry - after all, the 2 are based on the same platform and share 95% of the mechanical parts. Pulling into a Jiffy lube or your average gas station would not be my idea of a safe oil change. You're assured to get one of the cheapest oil filters made, and you have no clue what kind of bulk oil they're putting into your engine. Some use the cheapest recycled oil.

Resetting the maintenance light will likely be a simple task of pushing a button. It's just set to go off after a certain number of miles. I believe the '04 ES was the first year of the current generation ES to have this, so hopefully someone else with an '04 or '05 can tell you how to reset it. It could be in your car manual as well.
  • I too have a 2004 ES with an annoying rattle from either the front passenger seat or door. I can't seem to figure out the source of the noise. I'm pretty sure that if I move the passenger seat all the way forward the noise disappears.
    I asked the dealer to look into it a the 5K check but they were unable to duplicate it.

After reading your message I believe I have the same problem. I will inform the dealer of the pins and see if I can get this out of my ears.

Thanks for the great post.
    I agree with the earlier post that $425 for the 15,000 service is too much although as has been pointed out, it depends on what is being changed. I have been given a quote of $250 for the 15,000 service for my ES in CT. I do believe though that Lexus/Toyota need to spell out to the dealers what to do for each service rather than allowing them to make the decision. This way one can truly see what it costs to get the same service done at different dealerships.
  • selhalselhal Posts: 1
    When I bought my ES300 I was told to use premium gas. Has anyone used regular gas for this model?
  • atoewsatoews Posts: 637
    I have a 2002 ES300 and my user's manual says what should be done in the service maintenance. Shouldn't that info be good enough for an apples-to-apples comparison?
    My experience with Toyota was that each dealer would offer a service that was a bit different from what was written in the manual. So it was impossible to compare - the spread was between $350-600 for a 60,000 service on the 4-Runner at various dealerships within a 75 mile radius around NYC/CT. I am assuming that the same is true for Lexus since I have been given a quote of $250 for a 15,000 mile service while someone else has reported more than $400 for it.
  • gottlsgottls Posts: 21
    I've been following this forum for several weeks now deciding on whether or not to buy the 2005 ES330. I do believe that the reported rattles and transmission hesitation complaints are real, but does this effect the majority of the cars, or just a few? I understand that rattles come and go, however a transmission safety problem is a real concern. So, are there people out there who have the 2005 ES330 WITHOUT these problems? I sure would like to know before I put this car at the top of my list. Thanks for your time.
This discussion has been closed.