Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Lexus ES 300/ES 330

Comments

• ddm2ddm2 Member Posts: 15
    Toyota's profit is more (as per your post)than the others combined because they produce great cars in an efficient way. The reason that you are on this message board (not Ford, GM etc.) is either you are smart and own a Toyota/Lexus or that you wish you had a Toyota/Lexus!
  • poto1xpoto1x Member Posts: 26
    In the past, their huge profits came from customers paying extra for quality and customer satisfaction. Now the sales premiums are shrinking and they have to stiff their customers and avoid fix programs to keep profits growing. If they were as good as they used to be, their 2004 models wouldn't have 2 to 5 times more complaints than their competitors at NHTSA.

You don't have to guess at my reason for being on this board. Unfortunately, many of us own one of their transmission screwups and paid them a premium for the privilige of driving an unsafe car. Read the posts, many won't be back. Hope TM reads the posts and find the integrity they lost.
  • 330330 Member Posts: 4
    I have a 2004 ES 330. 15000 miles on it.
    Dealer wants 425$ plus sales tax to do service.
    I'm thinking to have OIL& FILTER replaced somewhere else.-BUT i do not know how to reset MAINTENANCE REQUIRED light flashing on dash.
    Also what else maintenance required at 15000 miles
    (dealer also wants to replace transmission fluid?
    air filter)
    At the last oil change they charged 10$ for some additive to the oil-what are they using?
    Please let me know ASAP
  • kreativkreativ Member Posts: 299
    330 - your ES came with a booklet that lists the scheduled maintenance at each interval. Follow the guide in determining when certain fluids and parts should be replaced. Dealers almost always recommend you replace them earlier (like your dealer wanting to replace the transmission fluid and air filter at 15K) because it means more profit for them. There's no reason to ignore the Lexus engineers who determined the scheduled maintenance guide in favor of the dealer who's after your money. The best thing to do would be to check the color of the fluid and the condition of the filter yourself. But in lieu of that, just follow the scheduled maintenance guide in your owner's manual.

$425 + tax for 15K mile service is very high. Other Lexus dealers charge half that, but probably don't change certain fluids/filters prematurely. The 15K service amounts to an oil change, an A/C filter change, and a tire rotation. The A/C filter you can easily change yourself by getting the same part at a Toyota dealer and following the instructions in your user's manual - it is perhaps the easiest maintenance/replacement task to perform on this car (A/C filter is behind the glove box, takes 5 minutes). Yet, many Lexus dealers will charge $80+ for the part and labor when you can do it yourself for $25 or less. Many Lexus dealers charge a signficant amount OVER Toyota's list price for parts.

As for the additive to your oil at your last service, Lexus (and other car manufacturers, like Honda) specifically does not recommend against using any additional additives to the oil. It's just a profitable add-on service for the dealer, since it likely costs them next to nothing for this additive compared to how much they're charging you.. Most of them are snake oil at best, and some can even do more harm than good.

Lastly, if you'll be taking your car elsewhere for an oil change, the best thing you can do for your car is purchase your own motor oil and oil filter, and pay for only the labor while you watch them do the change. This way, you're assured the best quality oil (of the right weight for you car) and filter while paying significantly less than you would at a Lexus dealer. If this is too much hassle, then try taking it to a Toyota dealer. Changing the oil in an ES is practically identical to changing the oil in a Camry - after all, the 2 are based on the same platform and share 95% of the mechanical parts. Pulling into a Jiffy lube or your average gas station would not be my idea of a safe oil change. You're assured to get one of the cheapest oil filters made, and you have no clue what kind of bulk oil they're putting into your engine. Some use the cheapest recycled oil.

Resetting the maintenance light will likely be a simple task of pushing a button. It's just set to go off after a certain number of miles. I believe the '04 ES was the first year of the current generation ES to have this, so hopefully someone else with an '04 or '05 can tell you how to reset it. It could be in your car manual as well.
  • mitchb711mitchb711 Member Posts: 5
    I too have a 2004 ES with an annoying rattle from either the front passenger seat or door. I can't seem to figure out the source of the noise. I'm pretty sure that if I move the passenger seat all the way forward the noise disappears.
    I asked the dealer to look into it a the 5K check but they were unable to duplicate it.

After reading your message I believe I have the same problem. I will inform the dealer of the pins and see if I can get this out of my ears.

Thanks for the great post.
    I agree with the earlier post that $425 for the 15,000 service is too much although as has been pointed out, it depends on what is being changed. I have been given a quote of $250 for the 15,000 service for my ES in CT. I do believe though that Lexus/Toyota need to spell out to the dealers what to do for each service rather than allowing them to make the decision. This way one can truly see what it costs to get the same service done at different dealerships.
  • selhalselhal Member Posts: 1
    When I bought my ES300 I was told to use premium gas. Has anyone used regular gas for this model?
  • atoewsatoews Member Posts: 637
    I have a 2002 ES300 and my user's manual says what should be done in the service maintenance. Shouldn't that info be good enough for an apples-to-apples comparison?
    My experience with Toyota was that each dealer would offer a service that was a bit different from what was written in the manual. So it was impossible to compare - the spread was between $350-600 for a 60,000 service on the 4-Runner at various dealerships within a 75 mile radius around NYC/CT. I am assuming that the same is true for Lexus since I have been given a quote of $250 for a 15,000 mile service while someone else has reported more than $400 for it.
  • gottlsgottls Member Posts: 21
    I've been following this forum for several weeks now deciding on whether or not to buy the 2005 ES330. I do believe that the reported rattles and transmission hesitation complaints are real, but does this effect the majority of the cars, or just a few? I understand that rattles come and go, however a transmission safety problem is a real concern. So, are there people out there who have the 2005 ES330 WITHOUT these problems? I sure would like to know before I put this car at the top of my list. Thanks for your time.
  • 307web307web Member Posts: 1,033
    I think any rattles are fixable.
    However, the transmission hesitation is not a manufacturing defect that can be fixed under warranty like a rattling seatbelt or door panel. It is simply poor design that allows inelegant downshifts if you floor the pedal at the wrong time.
    It is intended for sedate driving only.
  • gottlsgottls Member Posts: 21
    I've been following this forum for several weeks now deciding on whether or not to buy the 2005 ES330. I do believe that the reported rattles and transmission hesitation complaints are real, but does this effect the majority of the cars, or just a few? I understand that rattles come and go, however a transmission safety problem is a real concern. So, are there people out there who have the 2005 ES330 WITHOUT these problems? I sure would like to know before I put this car at the top of my list. Thanks for your time.
    I have a 2003 ES300 and am quite happy with the car and the quality of the support received from the dealer. As someone has commented on the other ES board, it all depends upon what type of car you are used to driving. I have graduated to the ES after having owned Camrys and can compensate for the slight hesitation with my driving. I think you should take a test drive - you will be able to notice the slight hesitation and then decide if you can live with that.
  • cdnlexusmancdnlexusman Member Posts: 10
    I understand having concerns about purchasing a new ES330 after reading a few pages of this forum. I have to tell you, I went through the same jitters all last winter while deciding on the purchase of my new car. I finally purchased a new 2004 ES330 this Spring after driving a 94 model for the past five years. While clearly two very different vehicles, they both provide great satisfaction, comfort and dependability. I am not experiencing any transmission issues, (other than that expected from the redesigned technology), rattles, jingles or any other problems. You will be hard pressed to find superior quality or craftsmanship in this price range. I say, buy the Lexus and enjoy it! Good Luck!
  • dixiecdixiec Member Posts: 1
    I bought a 2004 Lexus ES 330 less than a year ago. The paint is coming off on the hood and both fenders. There is a rust spot the size of a pea on the right fender, high up, close to the passenger door. Having 3 kids that drive, we own 6 cars. We've never seen paint flake off like this unless we hit a deer, had a repair and a repaint..You can tell the rust spot is not from a rock hitting it, taking it down to the metal and then rusting. The paint bubbled off from underneath..Northpark Lexus in SA told me that all of this is from gravel, did a retouch (which actually makes it all look worse). I called the customer service number in CA and am waiting to see if they are going to do something about it under my warranty. The paint job on this lexus looks worse than our 99 grand am and our 2000 impala. The only cars we have that look worse are a 1988 chevy truck with 400,000 miles on it and a 1989 camaro with over 200,000 miles. Has anyone out there had the same problem? thanks, dixiec.
  • fredvhfredvh Member Posts: 857
    What are the major differences between the '94 and the '04?
    I am currently averaging 22-23 miles/gallon in my 2003 ES300 - a combination of highway and local driving. Can this board help me in validating these numbers? Thanks.
  • cdnlexusmancdnlexusman Member Posts: 10
    It's a little difficult to compare the two cars (94 ES300 & 2004 ES330) as there has been somewhat of an evolution process in this line. The '94 ES300, while silky smooth, has a less substantial feel than the '04. The car is and feels smaller, but to me, it also feels somewhat sportier than the newer model which clearly wins in the luxury dept. The '04 sits higher and provides a little more of a floating feeling, especially if you have variable suspension and set it on full comfort. The newer car is a pleasure to drive on the highway, especially at night with the Xenon headlights while my older model handles winding roads with ease & efficiency. Both are quite peppy and provide lots of additional power when needed. Both give me a feeling of security. My biggest fault with the new model over the old is that the rear and side visibility is not as great and I find myself swivelling quite often to make sure its really safe to pass or merge from a ramp etc. I don't seem to have the same concern or sensation in my '94. Anyway, I quite enjoy driving both cars and hope to keep them both for a long time.
    Thanks for the info. How about the mpg for both?
  • maxhonda99maxhonda99 Member Posts: 1,289
    the 94 ES300 was rated at a sucky 19/24 or something, the 95 ES300 with the same engine moved up to 20/28. I believe the current ES330 is 20/28 or 20/29.
  • igibanigiban Member Posts: 530
    About right I think. Are you using premium gas?
    Yes, I am using premium. Wasn't aware of the consequences of using regular.
  • donegaldonegal Member Posts: 49
    In the process of buying a 2005 ES330. Our last two ES300s were silver and we now want to make a change in exterior color but stay with the black interior. Has anyone seen how the ES330 looks in black garnet pearl? If so, how do you like the color. I have only seen pictures but have not been able to see one at the dealership. The dealer has ordered one for us and said if we don't like the color, we can select another color at that time.
  • deanedelldeanedell Member Posts: 16
    My mother owns a 2002 ES300 and she recently experienced some vibrations in the steering wheel under hard (but not panic) braking. However, she says there are no vibrations when braking slowly. Is this the ABS at work? Or maybe a sign of warped rotors? Prior to this, she had never felt any vibrations.

Thanks in advance for any suggestions.
    Several owners on this thread have reported warped rotors. When I complained to the Lexus dealer about vibration when braking, they replaced the rotors on warranty. Apparently, the rotors are a known weakness.

Also, I noticed that several owners reported a rear window motor going out.

I have had both problems in my 2002 ES300, and both were fixed under warranty.
    99% sure you got warped rotors.
  • deanedelldeanedell Member Posts: 16
    Thanks atoews...I'll let the dealer check it out.
    How many miles did that happen? Is it standard on Lexus? I thought warped rotors eventually occur and is part of normal wear and tear. Sounds like Lexus thinks it'd not happen b4 factory warranty runs out and can cover that under warranty?
  • prigglypriggly Member Posts: 642
    Besides a slightly larger engine, what really are the differences between the ES330 and the XLE V6? Is the Lexus much more quiet at cruising speed than the Camry? Is the Levinson stereo much better than the JBL?

Thanks.
    I don't remember the mileage on the car when I had the rotors replaced but I do know it was probably less than about 15000 miles.
  • sortersorter Member Posts: 146
    Chasiss is the same, but tuned differently. Some material different so quietness level might be slightly different. Quality Control of parts. XLE is not cheap and a loaded one could price close to a entry level ES. With ES, you can upgrade to higher lux features. And the design (especially inside) are just beautifully done in ES. But for most, we chose Lexus because they cost more than Toyota.
    Quieter, smoother, much nicer interior. ML rocks but you've to get Nav also. Is that worth the extra $$. Only you can tell.
  • randyr52randyr52 Member Posts: 19
    Just checking in to see what kind of mileage owners are getting...My mileage combined is about 20 to 21 mpg. Best highway was 25 mpg(happened once!!) But on the whole, I am a little disappointed with the total mpg's I'm getting. I have 8900 miles. Think it will get better??
    What are you guys getting for you mpgs???
  • nevertypicalnevertypical Member Posts: 1
    The black garnet pearl is an awesome color. Its like a rich version of the older burgandy camry color. However, I think the tan leather looks better than the black... the contrast just gives it a better look imo. Best wishes and good luck with whichever color you choose. I'm sure you'll be happy no matter what... One suggestion though.. if you are willing to dish out a little extra cash, get the spoiler, and the gold package. It gives the new ES a much better look, and with the black garnet pearl... it will leave u speechless everytime it comes out the wash.
  • tribblestribbles Member Posts: 56
    I agree - the Black Garnet Pearl with tan leather is awesome especially with 17" chrome wheels. Interesting thing is I have not seen on yet on the road here in the SF Bay Area.

I don't think a Lexus needs a spoiler but the gold trim definitely for the garnet pearl.
    I have been getting similar results with my 2003 ES300 although my experience with the Camry (that I owned previously) was that the mileage improved after the initial 10-15 K. I got 27-28 mpg on a recent long road trip - I have just reached 15 K miles in my car and hope that it will only improve!
  • velosticvelostic Member Posts: 6
    I'm considering the 2005 ES330 and wondering if anyone has any advice on any pros and cons of the 16" vs. 17" tires?

Many thanks in advance.
  • dwarnacuttdwarnacutt Member Posts: 15
    I am considering purchasing a 2005 ES330 with navigation system and Mark Levinson sound system. Since I am the most unmechanical person I know, can anyone out there tell me if the navigation system is easy to operate? How expensive are the updates? Does the nav system break down alot? Does the nav system add or detract from the resale value? I am really glad that I found this board because I am learning alot. Thanks to everyone.
    I think that Nav systems are the way of the future. All cars will have them some day, in my opionion.

That said, Navs are similar to other technology in that they improve quickly, making older ones seem obsolete. Therefore they may depreciate faster than the rest of the vehicle.

Replacements/upgrades are expensive, but you don't really need them often, I have found.

The Nav system is not really easy to learn in the beginning, but it becomes intuitive after you've used if for awhile. For example, I still have more trouble programming my VCR than I do operating the Lexus Nav and the 2005 Nav has a better user interface than does my 2002.

I recommend the Nav for anyone. It would be difficult for me to do without one now that I have one.

When I am in a strange city or in a strange part of a city I am familiar with, the Nav is really helpful in locating restaurants especially. I have also used the POI feature to find the nearest Lexus dealer when I am in a strange city.

I do not know how reliable they are - the first ones showed up in the 2002 ES. Perhaps some folks on the LS board have had Navs for longer. I have had not experienced problems with mine. My rear window motor needed replacement and my rear window shade sticks but no problems with the NAV.

The only downside of having a Nav, to me, is that many times, when you travel to a place where your vehicle is not accessable, you miss your Nav!! If you travel a lot, you'll be frustrated at the thought that when you most need a Nav, you don't have one!!

For the people I know who have Navs, the inclusion of a Nav tops many other attributes, like color, in a vehicle. I'd rather have a second choice color with a Nav than a first choice color without.

One last item. When I first purchased my car in 2002, the biggest reason people wanted to special order a car is that they wanted the ML with no NAV, which was not available in a package at the time I bought my car. The number of posters who actively do NOT want a Nav have decreased a lot since 2002.

If you can afford it, definitely get a Nav.
  • dwarnacuttdwarnacutt Member Posts: 15
    Thank you so much for the thoughtful and detailed posting about the navigation system. You provided a lot of information.

Most of my driving time is spent in familiar areas and I always use MapQuest for travel to new places. I am an accountant and most of my appointments are in the office rather than at the client's business, although that can always change.

I have also considered the ML system without the Nav. It seems that the dealers in my area have more cars on the lot without the nav system than those with it. I do not know anyone with a Lexus with the nav system, but have one co-worker who has a Acura TL with nav and she is still trying to figure out the system after 4 months. Probably a good plan is to go to a dealer in an outlying area and play with the nav system so that I have more of a feel for how hard/easy it is to learn. So far, all of my research has been on line and I have not yet taken a test drive.

In any event, I think that if I buy a car off the lot, I will have more selection without the nav system. Also, I think that I will make a better deal if I buy off the lot, compared to a special order. Do you agree? Seems that the postings are valuing the car at 87-90% of MSRP for 2005 ES330 in the Los Angeles area. I am hoping to make a comparable deal.

Any other suggestions?

Thanks again.
    If one has an ES or TL with Nav for 4 months and is still not sure how to use the Nav, it's a good sign that he/she really should not have gotten it the first place, for one reason or the other. These are really easy to use tools that can come in handy when you need it. But if printing maps serve you fine it's cool too.

When I got my ES I actually wanted one with Nav w/o ML. They did not have that but they do now. I think they still don't have one with ML only tho. I was glad they did not have such config at the time. ML rocks.
  • maddgoomaddgoo Member Posts: 7
    velostic.....price out the 17"s and you'll find the cost much higher than the 16"s and the brand / type options to be fewer....the 17"s sure look nice with the six spoke, but the price and availability is a consideration.

In addition, the 17"s are suppose to ride stiffer due to the narrower sidewall. I have an 05 with the 17"s but haven't pushed it hard to tell the difference from the 16's which I had on an 2000ES (Toyo TPTs). For me, I decided on the better looking rim on the color I wanted. The 17"s look really nice and the 16"s are similar to the Camry XLE rims.
  • willizannahwillizannah Member Posts: 2
    i just became the proud owner of a 2000 lexus 300es. (also, i'm many thousands poorer.)
     in talking to my mechanic, (have already had to replace oxygen sensor) i was advised to never, never jump start my car. nor should i hook up any lexus to jump start another car. he said that it will do damage to the alternator.
    anyone know about this? if such is true, does this mean that if my battery dies before i replace it that i must call the tow truck? or what?
    also, soon it will be tire time. is it true that i can move to H rated. V is terribly expensive with terrible warranty. the falken is looking pretty good to me, per reviews on tirerack.
    thanks for any help.
  • sopecreeksopecreek Member Posts: 203
    I have 2001 ES 300. I used it to jump start my pickup truck a couple of times. The car seems to have no ill effect so far.
    Regarding the V-rated tire, my car originally came with Bridgestone RE092 V-rated 16" tires. After they wore out at 25K, I changed them to Yokohama Avid H4 which are H-rated. They have much better wet traction compared to RE092, and also last longer and cheaper compared to old RE092. I think tire rack now shows tires from Bridgestone called Potenza G009 at about the same price as Yoko, and the reviews seem to be quite positive. You might want to try them.
  • tmarttmart Member Posts: 2,233
    differences in the Coach Edition or Platinium Edition are cosmetic...different leather, floor mats, wheels, side badging, smoke black emblems, and color options. I wasn't aware they had the Coach in 2000 for the ES, believe it was the Platinium, which is what I have. Coach Editions included a piece of Coach luggage.
    You can figure out yourself whether or not the car has HID headlights and VSC.

TO figure out the VSC, check out the button under the driver side of the dashboard, under the key hole. If you follow it down some going towards the gas pedal you will see a black button. On it should say either "TRAC" or "VSC".

To figure out HIDs, simply turn on the headlights. You can tell from the color of the light being emitted. If it's bluish in the beginning and then turns whiter after a few seconds, it's got HIDs. Also, when you first turn on the lights, if it's got HIDs, they usually swivel up and down slightly to adjust. You can easily see this if the car is parked up against a wall or something.
  • edabramsonedabramson Member Posts: 16
    16" tires provide a better and quieter ride. 17" tires improve handling slightly. It all depends on what you value more.
    Exactly what is the Lexus "December Sale"?
  • charlie8charlie8 Member Posts: 1
    Would like to hear what kind of mileage people are getting with the 2005 es330. Looking to buy one. Will I get a better price after dec. 25th?

Was told by dealer problem with later is inventory gets low.

Thanks
This discussion has been closed.