Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Lexus ES 300/ES 330

Comments

• maxhonda99maxhonda99 Member Posts: 1,289
    The leather seats will fit, at least the driver's seat will. You may have a problem with the passenger seat since I believe 92's did not have height adjustable passenger seat, but the 1995 did. The key to making sure they fit is to make sure the mounting points on the floor are the same.If they are, you shouldn't have a problem.
  • ctdriver76ctdriver76 Member Posts: 5
    I was told that XM is the only satellite radio currently offered.
    (was told Sirius is not available)

Is Sirius going to be offered any time soon?
    Going to buy ES 330 this month...
    Can I have satellite radio installed at dealer after taking delivery and get the same quality installation?

Will I be able to switch from to XM to Sirius after?

What should I pay for the satellite radio ?
  • jokojoko Member Posts: 3
    Lexus doesn't care to fix the problem. Our dealer offered to buy the car back which we are leasing but they want an additional $1573 to do so. So, we contacted Lexus and asked for their help in negotiating a break even settlement. We've had the car for 6 months and it has 3000 miles on it. Just heard from Lexus today, after 3 phone calls from me (they never return calls) and they informed me there was nothing they would do. The car was designed that way (to shift improperly, endangering safety). The jerk on the phone just kept saying how sorry he was that there was nothing they could do. Not as sorry as I am! Never again will I buy a Lexus or a Toyota. So much for consumer satisfaction...........
    Anyone considering buying Lexus, think again.
  • jokojoko Member Posts: 3
    Don't buy a Lexus ES330. Read all the stuff about the transmission and the lack of Lexus courtesy regarding customer service.
  • skeetskeetskeetskeet Member Posts: 3
    NE 1 know how to fix the gas gauge on a 92 Lexus ES 300???? My gauge is always at full even when its not full tank.
  • fredvhfredvh Member Posts: 857
    Am interested in a new ES330 but would like to hear from 2003-2005 owners as to what kind of mpg I could expect to get from the 3.3 engine? Thanks
  • silleck330silleck330 Member Posts: 19
    2005 Classic Silver Metallic ES-330
    6,500 miles
    26.5 MPG highway. I am using premium fuel.
    Transmission is very smooth for my driving style.

This is one nice car. The finest vehicle I have ever owned.
    I thought I wanted more sport (TL) but have since changed
    my mind. This car is a pleasure to ride in !
  • shocasershocaser Member Posts: 36
    I have a 2004 ES330 with 10K miles on it. I have average 20-21 in the city. Have only taken one extended highway trip of about 200 miles. I averaged 27 mpg on that trip, averaging 75 to 80 mph. I must say that I have been very pleased with the mpg on this car. I have been using mostly premium gas, though I do occasionally put in a half-tank of mid-grade.
  • popeye7popeye7 Member Posts: 15
    I recently went shopping for a set of replacement tire for my 03 ES330. I was amazed at the difference of opinion as to what is a suitable replacement tire. The factory tires are Bridgestone Potenza RE-92s with a V speed rating. I haven't gone over 90 mph in my life, let alone 149 mph, the maximum speed on a V rated tire. I plan on keeping this car for a few years, so I don't want to pay the significant premium for a V rated performance tire. Two tire dealers strongly recommended the V rated tires and another said that he could not, by law, sell me a lower rated tire due to recent liability statutes. What's going on? Fortunately I haven't had to buy new tires, except for my kid's cars in quite some time. Can anyone recommend a good, quite riding, set of replacement tires for my 03 ES 300?
    First off, you can get H-rated tires. I would recommend not going below H-rated as handling will suffer noticeably. There is no legal liability to installing H-rated tires on a car originally equipped with V-rated tires. It's all a crock on the part of some tire installation places to help them make more money. I recently was buying tires for my uncle's LS400, I called a local Goodyear shop and they mentioned nothing of a *law* and tried to sell me T-rated tires! Last fall, I bought tires for his ES300 and Sears and they said they can only go down ONE tire rating from factory spec.

Here's some tires I would recommend to you for your ES330(I don't know if these will be available in your size, but check them out at Tire Rack.com in your tire size):

Bridgestone Turanza LS-H. Just bought them thru Tire Rack for the LS400 mentioned above. They are pricey but they have a good warranty and are well suited for a luxury sedan. Very quiet, and a very plush ride while still giving good road feedback, and they are great in the rain!!

Falken ZE-Ziex 512: Bought these for the above mentioned ES300. These may be available in either H or V-rated for your tire size. These tires are cheap and I am really impressed by them!! They are also quiet, give a good luxury car ride and don't give up too much in handling. These also have a good treadwear warranty. Also, try going to Sears. Out here in NJ, Sears ads always have these tires in them. You can probably get them for about $80/tire.

Yokohama Avid H4S/V4S: the ES300 mentioned above had the previous version of these tires before the Falken's I recently installed. Very similar to the Falken's. Only thing I didn't like was as they got close to replacement they got somewhat slippery on wet pavement. This new H4S/V4S version might be better.

Michelin MXV4: These come in H-rated & V-rated. They are very pricey and won't last you much longer than the above mentioned tires, but they are low rolling resistance, which will get you very slight improvements in gas mileage(you probably won't notice). They are a all around good tire but a bit louder, I think, than any of the other tires mentioned above.

And lastly go to TireRack.com or Discounttiredirect.com and do some research(Tire rack is alot better when it comes to research).
  • patpat Member Posts: 10,421
    You can talk over those recommendations with a Tire Rack rep in this discussion: Ask Connor at the Tire Rack. Let us know how it goes.
  • toydrivertoydriver Member Posts: 227
    I would also consider the Firestone Affinity LH30. Depending on where you live, this can be a very good tire with excellent snow traction for a all season touring tire with H speed rating. It also is rated 560 for wear.
    I put a set of these on my '95 Toyota Avalon (similar size and weight to the current model Lexus ES). I have over 60,000 miles on them and they should go another 20,000.
    I plan to replace my OEM Michelin MXV4Plus on my '03 ES 300 with the Affinity LH30 when the time comes. (Haven't been as happy with the Michelins on the ES. Will only get about 30,000 total miles, and the snow traction is miserable with the Michelins). I'd never pay the premium for the Michelins if they hadn't come as original equipment.

Check out the Firestones on Tirerack.com.
  • dwinerdwiner Member Posts: 13
    Just about to buy a 2005 ES 330. In the Boston area they all seem to come equipped with the optional 17" rims and all weather tires for $80. Seems awfully cheap for that kind of upgrade, but then I noticed a disclaimer (the first one on the list!) in the sales brochure which states that I should expect significantly reduced tire life with 17" tires, likely below 20,000 miles "depending on driving habits". Well, all tire life depends on driving habits, but it's unsettling to see this in print for the only tire I can get on the car. Conventional wisdom suggests to me that a larger diameter tire turns fewer times per mile and should give longer life.

Do any of you have experience with these 17" tires? Does anyone know why Lexus was compelled to make the statement?
  • shocasershocaser Member Posts: 36
    It depends on the type of tire on the car. Performance tires have a softer rubber compound to increase handling. This also reduces tire life. It could be that the reduced tire life is a result of the type of tire, not the size. I ran Michelin Pilot XGT V4 tires on my '94 SHO. I averaged 30,000 miles per set and went through 3 sets. These were performance all season tires. I was happy to get the miles that I did.

My 2004 ES 330 has the 16" bridgestones on it. The tires so far are wearing very evenly and very well (11,000 miles so far). I expect to get a lot more miles out of these tires, mainly because I drive the ES 330 much more sedately than I did my SHO.
  • alohafigsalohafigs Member Posts: 1
    It is critical to change this filter every 10,000 miles. I have 13,000 miles on my '04 ES330. Right now the car is at the dealership because my carpet and mats are full of water. Mold began to grow on the carpet. I had clear plastic mats over the carpeted mats. Last car wash/vacuum was about three weeks ago. Didn't notice the problem then.
  • saudiowner1saudiowner1 Member Posts: 11
    I got an ES300 instead of waiting for ever on my LTD 2005 Avalon. I want to know the ‎difference between ES300 vs. ES330. is it only the engine or what else? Do you think it ‎is better to use K&N air filter and Mobile 1 oil?‎
    Thanks
  • tmarttmart Member Posts: 2,238
    Main difference is the slightly larger engine. Mobil 1 is good oil. Save your money and don't get the K&N filter.
    I agree; save your money and do not buy the K&N filter. Studies have shown no difference despite what K&N says.
    What year ES300 did you get?
    Don't worry about the disclaimer. If you are a pretty sedate driver(like the typical ES driver), you will get well over 20K miles out of the tires. A typical ES driver gets closer to 40K to 45K miles out of tires.

With the bigger and more expensive 17" tires, many carmakers put the disclaimer notices in brochures and next to the window stickers on new cars.
    its an ES300 2005. I shall receive it today. I will go with Mobil 1 oil. any one recommend a good back seat cover. I have 3 kids and i am sure the leather would not last long without a cover.
    any advise in general about the car

Thanks
    If you have a 2005 then you have an ES330 which means that your engine size is 3.3 litres which has slightly more horsepower than the older 3.0l engine. The 3.5 engine in the new Avalon is a 3.5l and has additional horsepower.
    I am sure its ES300 2005. They "Toyota dealer in Saudi Arabia" did not intreduce the ES330. They added more options to the ES300.

They say the car will be completly changed next year, body and Engine change.

I am happy with my Lexus any way.
    Thanks
    :)
    I am sorry. I did not realize that you are in Saudi Arabia. I was thinking USA. I am not familiar with what Lexus sells outside the USA.
    You didn't mention the model year of your ES300. Toyota/Lexus has/had a problem with oil gelling in the V6 ES, RX, Camry, Avalon, Sienna, and several 4cyl. Toyota models as well. This was in the '98-'01 models, if I remember correctly. They "offered" to repair the problem "one time" for those owners affected. (They fought unsuccessfully to deny the problem - claiming that it was the owner's negligence in failing to change oil/filter as recommended in the owner's manuals).
    If your car is not in that age bracket, I would question the validity of your Lexus service claim. If it is, there should have been some sign of the problem prior to it showing "no oil" on the dipstick - 3 weeks after an oil change. I had a '99 RX with the problem. It would "use oil" slowly. By that I mean I would check the dipstick between 5,000 mi service intervals and would have to add a quart or two over that mileage to keep it registering in the proper range. It started showing the problem at about 45K miles on the odo. No other symptoms. No blue smoke out the exhaust. No engine oil light or check engine light on the dash - nothing.
    For your dipstick to register nothing, the engine would have to be at least 3 quarts low; probably closer to 4. I can't imagine the engine "using" that much oil in 3 weeks unless there had been some symptom of excess oil useage prior to your last oil change, or a noticeable leak of oil in your garage/driveway. For them to claim that the engine "has a complete load of oil" and yet not register anything on the dipstick is a bunch of hooey. More likely, as you suggest, they forgot to put oil in the engine at your last service. I'm sure they are seeing "oil gel" if the car was driven with no or very minimal oil for 3 weeks. The problem with "fixing the problem under warranty" is that the engine would have to be completely re-built in order to clean out all of the oil gel/sludge and repair any additional damage done by driving the car with no oil. I would doubt if they can or would perform that extensive of service for free.
    If I were you, I would negotiate a different car or new engine with the dealer, telling them that you feel that there was some negligence on their part. You may have to hire a lawyer.
    Best of luck.
  • scoti1scoti1 Member Posts: 676
    The policy was extended to also include MY2002 with manufacture dates of 2001 and early 2002.
  • clocurtoclocurto Member Posts: 4
    Has anyone else come across an annoying rattling noise in their drivers side door? It happens every time i hit a bump. It sounds exactly as if the window is rolled down and is shaking. sounds like its coming from right in the middle of my front drivers side door and the rear drivers side door.
    It depends on the number of owners. If you have bought it used, it could be from the ‎previous owner. It could have resulted from an accident to the door making the noise. ‎Ask the dealer to check the rubbers holding the window ‎ :D
    I experienced a similar noise on the passenger side of my '03ES300. Lexus replaced the door seals under warranty and it corrected the problem. They referred to a Toyota Service Bulletin (TSB) describing the problem.
    Check with your Lexus Service Mgr.
  • toyotabobtoyotabob Member Posts: 3
    Trying to decide between the 05 TL and the 05 ES330. Acura recommends 91 octane but around here you have to jump to the 93. Was wondering what people are using in the ES330 ?
  • beardiebeardie Member Posts: 44
    I've got 6,000 mi. on my 05 ES330 and have used nothing but regular 87. Car runs fine other than the usual slow speed hesitation. IMHO, spending extra for higher grade gas is a rip-off. This is not a high performance car. You will appreciate its ride just as much with 87. Good luck with your choice.
  • oldfart2oldfart2 Member Posts: 4
    Get some Goodyear Eagle GT's
  • olddaveolddave Member Posts: 21
    I own a 2005 ES330 I purchased in April, 2005. I live in Colorado and I use the lowest grade octane available here - 85 octane. On a recent 3900 mile road trip to Washington DC, we purchased the lowest octane gas available whenever we needed gas. The car seemed to run just fine the entire trip.
  • koswus5koswus5 Member Posts: 4
    I recently was looking at cars to get, and cam across a used fully loaded 2003 ES300. Unfortunatly the sales person did not know much about it, I actually taught him the open feature on the navigation system and he secretly saw him playing with it a few minutes later. Does the navigation system have the capability to play DVD videos?. I was also wondering about people opinions between my other car choises 02 gs300 and 03 Lincoln. I was wondering if I could get you opinons on how these cars compare to teach other. Thanks to anyone able to help.
    "03 Lincoln" doesn't narrow it down much.
    I own a 2005 ES330. I just looked through the "2005 Lexus Navigation System Owner's Manual - ES330" and I could not find any reference to using standard DVD videos with the system. So I assume it does not have that capability. The manual is Toyota Motor Corporation Publication No. OM33661U, Part No. 01999-33661.

I hope this is helpful to you...
  • atoewsatoews Member Posts: 637
    A link to a great tutorial on the Nav System

http://www.lexus.com/models/ls/interior.html#voicenav
  • toyotabobtoyotabob Member Posts: 3
    We ordered our 05 ES 330 over the weekend and had intentions on getting xm radio until they showed us where the antenna would go. On the trunk lid. The antenna is black and the car white. It would stick out like a sore thumb. Is this the only place to put them ?
    I had the same concern about the SAT radio antenna when we purchased our 2005 ES330 with Nav system in April, 2005. That is one of the main reasons we did not purchase SAT radio. We thought the antenna location was unacceptable.
    I wondered why many other manufacturers mount the SAT antenna at the rear of the middle of the car roof, but on the ES 330 Lexus does not. But then I read somewhere in the Lexus owner's manual (or in the Nav tutorial) that the GPS antenna is mounted just below the package shelf in front of the rear window. I don't know for sure where the FM/AM antenna is located.
    I am not a wireless techie, but I suspect the SAT antenna is not mounted on the rear roof because the antennas would interfere with each other.
  • popeye7popeye7 Member Posts: 15
    Has anyone heard when the ES 330 will undergo a change in body style? Photos, etc.
  • clocurtoclocurto Member Posts: 4
    thanks, dealer fixed the problem. they said that there were screws loose...thats the second time the dealer fixed a "screw loose" problem. once for my drivers side seat, now the window. they said maybe when they tinted the window, it wasnt secured properly.

thanks again!
  • jeanijeani Member Posts: 7
    I'm not sure what might be the problem, but the car had stalled twice (once at 300 and the other at 1K miles) when I changed gears from reverse to drive. The dealership hasn't figured it out, but the car drives fine otherwise. Any thoughts? Also, my car has adjustable pedals, do you think that may have something to do with it?
    There is a 2007 Lexus ES forum. It is expected the 2007 Lexus ES will appear by the middle of 2006.
  • alston28alston28 Member Posts: 98
    The key to my 2002 ES300 just broke. Can anyone tell me what I need to do to replace it? It is one of my two "electric" keys. The plastic part broke off from the metal key part. My other "electric" key still works. So does my valet key. Can I just call the dealer and get a replacement electric key; or does the "ecm" in my car need to be "reflashed" or replaced, too? Thanks.
  • petlpetl Member Posts: 610
    Where is the 2007 Lexus ES forum? Thanks.
  • tmarttmart Member Posts: 2,238
    It is in Future Vehicles, or just put "2007 lexus es" in the Search Forums at the lower left.
    Do any one here a " Barqq" Sound, like something got slamed ... closed when you strart driving, with the AC on or off. My Lexus give this sound when I put it to "D" and start moving. it happens like 15 feet from the point of start.

• larry1larry1 Member Posts: 29
    I know about this, because I just bought a used ES with only a valet key, and I can not get a master key!

You, however, do not need to get your Engine Control Module reflashed or replaced, because you can get another key made and use the other master key you still have to program the new key. Do not delay. If your second master key is broken, lost or stolen, then unfortunately it will cost $1,500 to replace the ECM and get new master keys at a Lexus dealer. That is no joke.

Even considering that you still have one master key, the price to get a second is going to be somewhere in the neighborhood of $187 from Lexus! Again, no joke.

There is an alternative. Using your VIN, many locksmiths can get the key code and laser cut you a master key. Then you can program it yourself using the following instructions:

To duplicate a key:

1. Simultaneously depress and release brake and accelerator pedals 1 time.
    2. Insert existing master key into ignition.(DO NOT TURN)
    3. Within 15 seconds depress and release accelerator pedal 5 times, (not too rapidly).
    4. Within 20 seconds depress and release the brake pedal 6 times and remove key.
    5. Within 10 seconds insert new key into ignition.
    6. Within 10 seconds depress and release the accelerator pedal 1 time. At this time the security light starts blinking.
    7. After 45 to 60 seconds new key is registered and security light goes off (stops blinking).
    8. Remove new key and try starting the car.

When Lexus dealers or locksmiths mention "programming" a key, they make it sound like a PHD in engineering is needed to complete the arduous task. Wrong, anybody can quickly do it if they have the information.
  • hiyaqthiyaqt Member Posts: 3
    Has anyone had any experience with the Clear Bra? I am picking up my ES330 today & they made a big pitch for the clear bra. It's pretty expensive. Is the paint on this car that easy to chip to make it worth the investment?
    I would appreciate any comments.
    Thanks.
    The following comments apply to 2002-2005 ES only.

I've had to replace my "auto" key twice! The process is that Lexus will send a new key to your dealer. You have to bring in all your keys, along with your car, to have them reprogrammed, along with the new key.

Each new key now costs $250. Ouch! If your key broke, they will replace it under warranty. If you lose it, you will need to pay for it, with an additional charge for programming. I brought my broken one into the dealer.

Of course, anyone who finds a lost key can still open your car doors manually.
    What is the model year of your vehicle? I ask because I do not understand your instructions at all. Do you have a pre-2002 vehicle? In 2002-2005, there is no such thing as a "master key". In fact, I don't even think they are officially called "keys". They are called "engine enablers". Whatever, you can replace them, and you should be able to get a new one.

It sounds as though, if someone follows your instructions, anyone who gets ahold of any ES key, can reprogram that key, and start your car. When you take your keys to Lexus for reprogramming, it insures that your old program no longer works. The dealer insisted that there is no way to reprogram any key to the same program that was originally in your keys. I am under the impression that all keys, and your engine, need the new program.
This discussion has been closed.