Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Lexus ES 300/ES 330

Comments

• olddaveolddave Member Posts: 21
    When I purchased my 2005 ES 330 in April, I got a "moderate" amount of pressure to purchase their clear bra, but I opted not to buy it. The car color is "Alabaster Metallic", a very light color. Now, with 5500 miles on the car, I have just noticed a good-sized chip in the front bumper along with 2 or 3 smaller chips in the immediate area of the larger chip. I can clearly see dark primer where the paint was. This damage probably occurred during our recent 3900 mile trip from Denver to Washington DC. My philosophy is that a "New" car doesn't stay "New" very long, but considering the price of this car, front paint protection is probably a good idea, depending on how long you want to keep the car, and if resell value is important to you or not. We tend to keep cars for at least 10 years anyway, so I am ambivalent about whether or not I needed to buy the expensive clear bra in the first place.
  • tmarttmart Member Posts: 2,233
    No, based on the instructions, anyone could reprogram the found key and start their car, because they would have their original/master key. If they found your key of course it would start your car with no programming required. .
  • larry1larry1 Member Posts: 29
    Mine is a 2000. First, before a key can be programmed, it has to be the specific type for that year and model of vehicle. Then it has to be cut like most keys. Most or all Lexus keys are "laser cut". Then you would have to know exactly which vehicle the key is for. Then you have to have a master already to program the new key. If you already had someone's master, you wouldn't need another key to steal the car.

I personally am not going to pay many hundreds to 15 hundred dollars to get a couple of master keys. I'll just have to continue to open the car door in order to open the trunk, and I'll have to be real careful not to lock my one and only valet key in the car, or to lose it at all :)
  • atoewsatoews Member Posts: 637
    larry1 confirmed my suspicions. He has a 2000 ES300, which apparently has an entirely different key process. 2002-2005 have no master key. As such, you cannot repeat a program. Apparently on the 2000 ES300, the master key has the vehicle's program and you can copy the program to another key from that.

On the 2002, you cannot do that. If you need to reprogram your key, you have to take all of your keys to the dealer and get them (and the engine) programmed. "All keys" includes all of your keyless entry keys, your valet key and the credit card key. It does not cost anywhere near $1500.

Let's say you lose one of your keys on the 2002-2005 ES, and you order a new one to replace it. There is no way that the new one can be programmed with your old program. You have to reprogram them all with a new program to get all their programs to match.
  • shocasershocaser Member Posts: 36
    I own a 2004 ES-330. I have now owned it for 1 year, with 12,000 miles driven. I have been told that the stench from the engine is generated by the brand of gas that I use. I have been told that the whining that the power steering makes in the morning is because "the car needs to warm up first." I have had rattles fixed for the windshield wiper assembly and for the driver's seat (twice). I have had the driver's seat replaced because the power seat memory did not work properly (did not fix the problem). I have not been able to get the power seat memory problem fixed. I have had the firmware upgrade. I have had some of the wood trim replaced on one of the rear doors, since my car has blackwood trim and one door had redwood trim. I am now having problems with my center console. The lid will not stay shut, so I guess the car goes in yet again for more fixes. I have had this car in the shop more in the first year of ownership than my 1994 SHO was in the shop in the first five years of ownership. I cannot believe how disappointed I am in my "relentless pursuit of perfection."
  • alston28alston28 Member Posts: 98
    Has anyone heard of or used frankslocksmith.com? He says, basically, that he can put together my broken Lexus ES300 key for $65. Thanks.
  • es4jbes4jb Member Posts: 17
    Has anyone attempted to add XM Satellite radio to a 2005 ES? Well, I did. First, the dealer Customer Relations Manager had absolutely no idea what to do, who would do it, or how much it would cost. She sent me to the parts manager who proceeded to tell me that the cost to add XM is.....$1700.

$1700????? Are they out of their mind? You can get this at any Good Guys or Best Buy for a few hundred bucks.

My friend bought an Audi which came with XM "preinstalled". All he had to do was go on line and buy a subscription. When I bought this car, that's exactly what I thought I would have to do.

The vehicle is supposedly "ready" for satellite radio. When I hear the words "ready for satellite radio" I take that to mean that the audio system has everything it needs except for the antenna/receiver and wiring to the unit.

Apparently NOT. Lexus' definition of "ready for satellite radio" is that the "AM" button now says "AM-SAT". That's it.

I did speak to a man at a place that specializes in car audio systems. He told me that there is some kind of part that is only available from Lexus that integrates the audio system with the satellite receiver. I guess this is comparable to the digital cable box attached to your TV.

If anyone can shed some light on this, please chime in. Until then, no satellite radio for me.
  • rtwilburrtwilbur Member Posts: 6
    I'm picking up my ES330 from Lexus of Maplewood in Maplewood, Minnesota. Got them to match the $500 over invoice that the Chicago dealers had. But I'm wondering what they are going to try to hit me up to buy at the end like the extended warranty, etc.

What should I expect them to pitch me at the end? I've heard of folks mentioning the 'clear bra'.

Also, I am semi-interested in the extended warranty since I'm planning on having the car for awhile. I know the price of the warranty is also negotiable. How much should I pay? What have others paid?

I appreciate all the info I can get so I'm not going in blind.

Thanks!
  • andystar1andystar1 Member Posts: 4
    Does anybody know if the base pioneer stereo is rated 86watts peak or rms?
    All the off the shelf pioneer car stereos are rated 50watts peak mosfet per channel (4 channels), regardless of the price and I was wondering how the base stereo matches up with these off the shelf ones.
    Thanks in advance.
  • scoti1scoti1 Member Posts: 676
    About the stench problem - Toyota/Lexus finally decided it was due to the catalytic converter and they have issued a TSB. I would have to look it up, but I am pretty sure it is covered for up to 100,000 miles.
  • joey_jjoey_j Member Posts: 2
    Hi,

I have a es300 with 102,000 miles. How long can I count on my transmission? Is there a place where I can look up the average time/mileage before I it typically needs replacement?

Love the car - nothing is as quiet and comfortable.

thanks
  • joey_jjoey_j Member Posts: 2
    How do I find such a locksmith in the New York City area?

thanks
  • olddaveolddave Member Posts: 21
    I have a 2005 ES 330 which so far seems like a really nice car. But one thing is driving me nuts! I cannot hear the turn signals "click" when I use them while driving on the highway or in busy traffic. It almost becomes a safety hazard, with me rolling along, completely unaware that my turn signal is blinking, because I can't hear the "clicker". I have owned all domestic cars in the past, and they seem to "click" just fine ('98 Tahoe, '94 Concorde).
    I have talked to my local friendly Lexus dealer about it - they were no help. I get the impression that they think it is hysterically funny that I am complaining about it.
    Is it just me, or does anyone else have a simliar problem???
    Okay, so maybe I am a whiner.....
    Well, I think Toyota needs to allow the driver to set the signal level. I believe that as we get older, our ability to hear high frequency signals diminishes, and it happens earlier for men than for women. I think the same thing happens with engine ping, also high frequency. My boyfriend is 60, and he often leaves his signal on because he cannot hear it. Most Lexus sales people that I have seen are significanly younger than 50, so maybe they think you are nuts because they hear the signal just fine.

Along the same vein, I put lower octane gas in my car, in accordance with some suggestions on this website, and I swear I can hear engine ping on the low octane. Perhaps the reason so many posters find no problem with lower octane gas is that they no longer can hear engine "ping" because the frequency is so high!!!

So, young people (lenscap :-)), please verify that you can hear the signal just fine!
  • ehonda1997ehonda1997 Member Posts: 1
    I am currently looking into purchasing a 2002 pre-owned ES300 Lexus.

1. 2002 ES300 37320 $25,959
    2. 2002 ES300 33513 $25,995
    3. " " 29695 $26,995
    4. # " 23668 $26,995
  • keith61keith61 Member Posts: 6
    Hello,

Could anybody give me some advice on purchasing a certified pre-owned Lexus.
    I am looking at a 2004 ES 330 that is at the dealer with 16,000 miles and they are asking $29,900.

Thanks
  • frisconickfrisconick Member Posts: 1,275
    LOL, that way one of the funniest posts I have seen, but it makes sense. Too many Rolling Stones concerts! :P
  • kreativkreativ Member Posts: 299
    "Does anybody know if the base pioneer stereo is rated 86watts peak or rms?"

RMS. Before '02, the advertised wattage was peak (more impressive, but much less meaningful). They switched to advertising RMS wattage with the current generation ES.
  • liferulesliferules Member Posts: 531
    Does anyone know if Lexus can install Nav on a 2005 ES 330 aftermarket? My relative bought her car a few months ago without nav and has gotten lost already 4 times. I'd love to help them get nav if it can be installed...

Thanks.
  • sixfitzsixfitz Member Posts: 2
    I recently purchased the ES 330 in July'05 and had the XM installed. They told me the MSRP was $1075 but that thye could do it for $850. I like you was baffled by the price but we finally agreed on a price of $450. To boot the atenna they installed wsa "bad" and had to be reinstalled. My first thjought was doesn't anyone check these things before they sell it to a customer. The Acura TL not only comes standard with Xm but also gives you 3 months of service free. I will bet XM will be standard ont he 2007 model.
  • andy1993andy1993 Member Posts: 26
    I am interested in buying lexus es330 with nav, satellite radio, vsc with traction and some other accessories. Would you mind telling me how much you paid for it. I live in alabama near atlanta.

thanks in anticipation.
  • anonapersonaanonapersona Member Posts: 5
    I just got a new 2005 ES 330 with NAV for $33,000 with less than the often standard 24 months free maintenance. I'd think that you ought to be able to get some extra off that asking price.
  • patpat Member Posts: 10,421
    Folks, don't overlook the Lexus ES: Prices Paid & Buying Experience discussion. It's a great resource.
  • cardczarcardczar Member Posts: 1
    I just bought a used 1992 Lexus ES300 which I love except that the A/C doesn't work. A friend and myself just charged it up and still no cold air. The high pressure side is fine but the low pressure side won't build up pressure. It seems that from the high side to the low side there is a blockage of some kind. We checked if for leaks and there are none. The low side has vacum but won't pressurize. I am a little stumped and I was wondering if anyone can give me a little help as to what I should be looking at or checking. A friend said that he thinks that there is a filter in the system and it could be plugged up but he doesn't know where it is to check it. I have never had a Lexus before and don't know much about them or A/C systems. I am on a fixed budget income so I can't afford to pay several hundred to a thousand plus dollars for a shop to fix it. Any help would be greatly appreciated.
  • outra2lawoutra2law Member Posts: 4
    I got a used 2003 ES300 with 29300 miles on it, I paid 26000
  • patentman1patentman1 Member Posts: 18
    Hi Everyone,

I've been reading all the ES posts. I know that some of you have had hesitation issues. However if it is any consolation, you should be glad that your transmissions will last, unlike the car that I currently drive a 98 Accord EX V6. Many of the auto trans in V6 Honda/Acura prematurely fail at around 100K miles or earlier which is why I'm avoiding Honda/Acura this next time around.

I'm looking for a more comfortable car to replace my Accord. In particular, I'm looking for a car that is quieter, smoother riding, and has an 8 way adjustable seat (both driver and front passenger.) Overall, I think the ES would be a good fit for me. Any suggestions for my next car? I am trying to stay at the ES price level or cheaper.

Also for those that would recommend the ES again, should I wait until the new 2007 ES comes out? I replace my vehicles around 9-10 years, so I will keep this next car for a while!

Thanks for your input!

Rich
  • fredvhfredvh Member Posts: 857
    The ES330 is a fine vehicle. Take a look at the new Toyota Avalon too.
  • frisconickfrisconick Member Posts: 1,275
    It seems that you have already made up your mind, the ES will probably last you a very long time with no problems. I am like you, I keep cars a long time, and Toyota's are the most reliable cars in the world. However, I just purchased an Acura TL. :P
  • great2great2 Member Posts: 8
    Paid $ 40.00 appx. for 5000mile, $ 110.00 appx for 10,000 and now dealer wants $350.00 for 15000 mile service that includes oil change, tranny flush, differential oil change ? & inspection of suspension & etc. is it worth doing it. Never had any car or suv that needed tranny & differential flush at 15000 mile.....any comments/suggestions
  • vetfannyvetfanny Member Posts: 11
    Has anyone heard if there will be an 06 ES330? If so what changes will there be from the 2005 model? The 2007 forum says the new design t=will be out in March! THat only leaves six months for an 06.
  • andystar1andystar1 Member Posts: 4
    The Lexus website www.lexus.com has info on 2006 ES330 available now.
    The main differences are the option packages and availability of "Black Diamond Special Edition".
  • prfktpupprfktpup Member Posts: 1
    While going up a bumpy driveway my traction control off light came on. I assume this means my T. C. is off but I cannot turn it back on. Any suggestions as to how to reset this thing it drives me crazy. It matches my check engine light would appreciate advise on how to reset this one too.
    Are there no notable changes due to the 2007 reported to be out in March?
    Or is the normal Lexus year to year "change"?
  • billodbillod Member Posts: 31
    Go for the Avalon. It has a better (280 HP) engine and (I believe) a better transmission. The top of the line Avalon is, in my mind, a comparable car to the ES330, except it has a better engine. And now with the Big 3 offering employee pricing, Toyota must be price competitive. Take a good look at the Avalon. I would trade my 2005 ES330 for an Avalon if I could get a "fair" deal.
  • silleck330silleck330 Member Posts: 19
    The Avalon is ugly compared to the sleek lines of the 2005 Es 330 !
  • x021627x021627 Member Posts: 152
    very nice car. Not sporty like my former bmw 530, but very luxurious inside with some nice amenities. My bimmer wasn't the faster from a standing start. Lexus has a nice solid ride, easy to use control and handles bumps very well. Modulating accleration is something I am paying attention to, but for my 12 mile trip each way to work on local roads, its a nice ride. Dealership threw in free satellite radio for 9 mos. I'll give me details about the ride as I enjoy the ride!
  • tamu91tamu91 Member Posts: 14
    I purchased a brand new ES330 yesterday and I'm now considering buying the Lexus platinum extended warranty. I have two questions to you experts out there.

1) Is it worth it in your opinion and 2) is there a dealership out there who discounts the premium?

The dealership I purchased the car from offered me the list price but I can get that anywhere, c'mon give me a break I told him.
  • saudiowner1saudiowner1 Member Posts: 11
    Any one knows where could be get TBS and recalls about ES330, ES300 2005?
    a web site?
    :)
  • carlover73carlover73 Member Posts: 1
    I followed these directions and the car started fine. THANKS! Now how do I program the key to open the doors with the remote????
  • beardiebeardie Member Posts: 44
    If your Traction Control light came on along with the Check Engine light....check your gas cap!! If it was not put on tightly, the lights you mentioned will come on!!
  • shocasershocaser Member Posts: 36
    I took my ES 330 in to have a nail removed from a tire and get a patch. When they balanced the tire, they removed the old weight and dragged it around the rim, scratching off the finish and shaving metal off the rim. The service tech told me about the problem and said that they would repair the rim. When I got it back, they had painted over the damaged area, but the damage was still very noticeable. I told the tech that the rim is unacceptable to me and he told me that the rim was still "structurally sound" and that I should accept it. After 10 minutes discussion, I was told that the service manager has to make the call whether I would get a new rim. This was on Saturday. It is now Thursday and the only contact I have had from the dealer was the follow-up call to see if I was satisfied with my service experience. I am continually amazed at the lousy service that I have gotten so far from Pohanka Lexus. "Relentless pursuit of perfection"
  • mbuster25mbuster25 Member Posts: 14
    Call Lexus support and complain to corporate
  • sean3sean3 Member Posts: 158
    Hi , I just bought a Used 1995 ES300, I have been wanting a Lexus since I was 20, Now a few years later I found one it is a dark Cranberry red with Moonroof and Leather It looks flawless, not a scratch or wear in the leather, although it has 85K miles, one concern when I left today I checked the Oil and it bearly showed on the dipstick, so I added a little over 1.5 quarts? Do old Lexi use oil, it was a cold check, It had not been driven for 4 or so hours, also the dome light is not coming on ith the doors, but only from the overhead button? the oil thing is what has me worried, I was panning on keeping this little beauty for 5 years ,,From what I have read 200K is entirely possible.....then I read about faulty Lexus and Toyota engines requring total replacement due to oil contamination????any insight on my new-old Lexi.....ps I love the front end look of this thing and the Panel gaps are pretty amazing for a 10+ old car...Frameless windown are kind of played out old school, but they do seam to seal better than my framed previous car, by the way I used to drive a 2002 Impala, and the difference is amazing////the Lex seems like a 2002 and the Impala seemed like a pre 1995!! Next the Lex gets set on 18" wheels....My Batallion thought I bought a 2002+ Lexus :) amazed that it was 10 years old...Sean
    Although a little paranoid about my Oil level being so low...I am still amazed at the condition of this 10 year old car,,,Even if you consider the '95 rather boring, you can't ignore the amazing build quality....If Lexus could do this 10years ago, why can't by today this be at least a standard for GM? Ferd? 10 years isn't enough to at least match what Lexi was building 10 years ago? I loved the Overall feel of My 2002 Impala but It seemed aged in 1 year, Ugly interior, old engine technology, and kind of Homely looking after a year...my 1995 Lex fwwla like it was waiting for me, I feel like the car is constantly asking me if it is exceding my standards :) while doing it in silence...seems even the old Lexi's are still highly regarded....I read in an earlier post taht some ES's do not have Leather or Moonroof's? I thought this was standard equipment?? Thanks Sean..
    anybody notice the steering wheel collar sounds kind of cheap and hollow? wish it had electric tilt :( oh well...the interior is a quality place...I like the ratcheting headrests....as well the placement of the gas/decklid releases...the valve cover is kind of mis-worded it says something like 3.0 V6 3000...i'd say the most boring part of this car is the rear end, but the front and sides are elegant and sort of understated but timeless...glovebox is kind of cheap feeling and small.:(...the center console gear selector area is rich looking and solid as are the door panels...carpeting looks brand new...leather looks never sat in...paint is flawless....I love how the starter motor sounds....I understand that Toyota mechs. know this car and can service it for much less than Lexi dealers....this Lexus is totally factory....including the Stereo...I like the remote entry volume control....Lexus sure knows how to Build a tight drum///Sean
    The interior is also way inferior to the ES330.
    Pat, do you think it would be a good idea to have a separate thread dedicated to pre-2002 ES300s? It can get confusing when posters complain about previous models on this board.

Note that there is a precedent for this on the Ford Mustang board, which I selected at random to check if this issue had already been dealt with.
  • patpat Member Posts: 10,421
    Yeah, there are quite a few discussions divided by MYs right here on the Sedans board as well.

What's going on is that we made a somewhat recent - and smart, if late - decision on how to move discussions from the Future Vehicles board to the appropriate boards when they are released We rename the existing discussion and the future discussion in the pattern that I think you saw.

The next time the ES undergoes a major redesign, we'll do it here. It's too late now, though, to try to separate them.

If there's confusion over what MY a poster is talking about, all we need to do is ask.

Hope this helps - email me if you want to talk about it further, I don't want to derail this discussion with housekeeping details. :P
  • samk2samk2 Member Posts: 1
    I have a 1997 EX 300, with about 106K miles. Recently, I've discovered water pooling up on the left-hand passenger-side floor. I removed the soaked floormat and used a wet/dry vac on the carpet. I thought, perhaps, that the car wash didn't dry the mat before putting it back in. I was wrong. Water continues to pool up behind the driver's seat. We're in a drought here, so it's not rain water. I think it must be from the A/C. Has anyone experienced this? Any ideas? I'm afraid to take it to the dealer who always charges exorbitant rates. I would welcome any help.
This discussion has been closed.