Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Lexus ES 300/ES 330

Comments

• popeye7popeye7 Member Posts: 15
    Thanks for your input. I checked all of the windows and sure enough the all have Lexus displayed on each pane of glass except for the replaced windshield. I'm not sure how to approach the installer at this point. Do you know if the OEM Lexus is windshield have better materials and are perhaps thicker with better sound insulation than what was replaced on my 03 ES 300. There has to be a difference, because the cabin noise is certainly noticeable since the I had the windshield replaced. I haven't talked to my insurance company yet, but I predict that they will fight me on getting the OEM Lexus glass. Does anyone have any additional thoughts on this?
    Thank you
  • beardiebeardie Member Posts: 44
    I also have the blue shale mica. I had silver on my last car, and wanted something different, but that also doesn't show dirt too easily. I must say silver is the best in that regard, but the blue shale is good too. I also wanted the dark wood trim color inside, and that meant I had to get the black leather. I love the color, but it does get very hot in the summer. Good luck with whatever you choose!
  • x021627x021627 Member Posts: 152
    i got the blue onyx with the grey interior. True as mentioned it is not has dark as the black, thus not has hard to keep clean. I had had a silver on grey car previously and although silver hides dirt trememdously, I just found silver boring. The green is very nice in person. I live in NJ and haven't seen too many of that color on the road.
  • mmm5mmm5 Member Posts: 5
    it was a toss up between silver or white for me. i actually wanted the silver with the black intererior since i think it has a more classy look. realizing that it looks cleaner and hides the dirt was a welcomed benefit that i realized afterwards. get the color that you like and that you think looks good. afterall, you will be the one driving it.
  • dshahsdshahs Member Posts: 35
    Does anyone know for a fact if 2006 lexus es 330 still has Mark Levinson system when you get the Navigation???? The dealer is telling me that Lexus dropped the Mark Levinson system even if you get the Navigation but when i call Lexus 800 number, the rep is telling me that when you order the Navigation it comes with the ML system too. Who is right???
  • tmkniestmknies Member Posts: 4
    I have an 06' with Nav and Mark Levinson.

For the poster questioning color I chose the shale blue with black. I love it. It does not show the dirt as much as some of the darker colors. I went with the black interior. I get some marks from my small children but nothing that does not wipe right up. It's been a month and I am very please.
  • crab1930crab1930 Member Posts: 1
    In April 2005 had to replace pinion bearing on 1998 ES300 (124,000 k/70,000 miles). In September I noticed a clicking sound in the motor. Now the motor has developed a noise like something in the the motor is loose or broken. Has anyone experienced similar problems?
    One of your engine mounts maybe broken, take it to a mechanic and see if one of the bolts is broken or not.
  • ajagajag Member Posts: 4
    Have a deposit on one in MA and want to know what anyone feels the right price is on this ES330 with the special paint, wheels, and equipment. Just has the regular radio. And of course a set of Tumi luggage. Since they only make 3,450 units I figure they are not likely to give them away. What do you hear?
    What price have you negotiated??? I dont know about the limited edition Black Diamond because it looks like any other black color and am not a big fan of the black wood either. I got my car from Lexus of watertown and the lowest they would go was $34,500.

:lemon:
  • atoewsatoews Member Posts: 637
    There is something wrong with my quote of your deal in my summaries. I have that you bought a 2005 ES330, MSRP $38,393 for $33000. I am confused. Please fill in the following blanks:

Model Year:
    MSRP:
    Price (excluding govt. charges):

Thanks.
    ajag - If I were you, I'd try very hard not to pay more than 90% MSRP (not including license and tax) on a 2006 vehicle, period. Any more than 91% is a rip-off in my opinion.

Based upon what posters have received, 88-90% MSRP is within a reasonable range.

Go to another dealer, whatever, but do your best to avoid more than 90% MSRP.

And please, once you obtain your quote, post your deal/quote on the "Prices Paid" thread so that others can benefit.

If you are having trouble with the calculation, just post the MSRPs of your vehicles of interest and I'll do the calculations for you.
    I really doubt that the Lexus windshields are any better quality than the other Toyota windshields. In fact, Lexuses once had "Toyota" windshields until the status-conscious Lexus owners complained.

If you are having noise problems then it is likely a poor installation job that causes it. I had a windshield replaced on an older Camry once, and I had to take it back and have them redo it.

If you have a windshield replaced by the Lexus dealer, I believe you have the right to demand that they put in a Lexus windshield, one that says "Lexus" on it, if for no other reason than status, which, after all, you pay for.

If you have an ES300 that is older than 2002, there probably are no "Lexus" windshields for that.
    sorry, I was going to get the 2005 model for 33,000 but on the test drive, the transmission hesitation issue was prominent so i decided to go with the 2006 es 330 with navigation but no Mark Levinson for $34,500. I should have posted this but i forgot. Sorry for the confusion.

:lemon:
  • tmarttmart Member Posts: 2,233
    You're correct. My 2000 ES300, Plat Ed, has Toyota on all windows. Never gave it much thought since I knew it was made by Toyota.
    So what is/was the MSRP on your car?
    The MSRP was $38,393.
    Thanks. Sorry, but it is really hard to track your deal.

Note the following message posted by you:

=================================================

msg 1086 of the "Es300/330 Prices Paid and Buying Experience" discussion:

"I just ordered a 2006 blue onyx on ivory es 330 for $34700. The MSRP on this car is $38174. It is fully loaded with Navigation BUT the dealer said that Mark Levinson audio is no longer an option for the 2006 ES 330's. Do you guys think this is a fair deal? Thanks in advance for replying."
    ========================================

Since then, I believe you have said that your MSRP is $38,393 and your price is $34,500. This is the deal I will stick to in my summaries, unless you say something is wrong with it. By the way this equates to 89.8% MSRP, right in line with what posters have been paying for vehicles for the past couple of years.
  • fredvhfredvh Member Posts: 857
    Can anyone tell me how easy/difficult it is to change the oil and oil filter on the current generation(2002-2006) ES300/ES330? Thanks
  • motownusamotownusa Member Posts: 836
    My uncle got free oil change, tire rotation, and wash and wax on his 02 ES300 for up to 100,000 miles or 8 years. Dealer was Sterling MaCall Lexus of Houston.
    The actual deal was $34,500, I got them to come down $200 and the MSRP on the window sticker says $38,393.
  • wwestwwest Member Posts: 10,706
    In researching details of Lexus new DIS, Direct Injection System, I came across several articles indicating Lexus is dropping ALL FWD models from the line-up. Apparently the IS series is set to replace the ES and the FWD version of the RX series will be dropped.

RWD and/or AWD only from this point forward.

Lexus Canada no longer sells the FWD version of the RX.
    The new ES will be out in the spring of 2006 as well as the new Camry. I have not heard anything that the ES is not going to be FWD. I think if it was not we would have heard about it by now.
    I wasn't speaking of Toyota, Camry, the information I saw basically indicated that the ES series would be dropped from the Lexus product line.
  • petlpetl Member Posts: 610
    Lexus Canada hasn't sold FWD RX's for quite some (if ever). You bring up a very good point. Not sure about the RWD/AWD theory. However, usually we hear rumors of upcoming vehicles. To date we've received information (even spy photos) on the RAV, Camry the LS and others. To my knowledge there is nothing out there on the ES. Could it be true?
    The thing that seems to validate this is that the Camry is going hydrid but I haven't heard beans about a hybrid ES.

Is this maybe because the Camry and Camry hybrid is to be built in the US? Not enough production requirement for Japan to keep their "Camry" production line open just to build a "few" (relative speaking) ESes?

Would a Lexus customer be willing to buy a US built ES??
  • petlpetl Member Posts: 610
    To my knowledge, the only Lexus vehicle manufactured outside of Japan is the RX (it's built in Canada).

Again, the ES would be the only FWD (Lexus) vehicle available. You really have me thinking. Don't paricularly like the IS (way too small). The GS, well it's just a little too expensive (for me). If the information is accurate, it will leave a pretty big gap. To maintain their sales lead, I believe they still have to offer a vehicle that will satisfy those who like/liked what the ES has/had to offer (a alternative to the small and sporty IS). I was kind of looking forward to seeing what a new ES would look like. It may never happen (maybe I'm just panicking).
    Remember the first, early, ES300?

It is now easy to mistake an ES330 for an LS430 given the growth of the ESes "body".

Where is the market for the Avalon if the Camry continues to "grow".
    Can some of the current owners of the ES(2002-2005) advise as to what kind of mpg they are getting? I would prefer actual fill-up to fill-up tests rather than the computerized displays. Thanks in advance.
  • judgesmailsjudgesmails Member Posts: 11
    How'd I do?
    2006 ES 330, Black Diamond.
    Extras: tint and spoiler (retail about $1800).
    Negotiated Cap Cost: $34,806
    Lease: 36 mo, 15k, first month out-of-pocket only (everything else rolled in) - $520/mo
    Well, consider this. A hybrid Camry may not replace the standard Camry. There may be both models. Toyota likes to capitalize on Camry popularity. For example, the Solera is called "Camry Solara", but they still manufacture the standard Camry.
    What do you think about a 2005 ES330 demo with 1600 miles? I have not received a price yet but I am a little leary about purchasing a demo. I wonder what kind of treatment it has received over 1600 miles ?? Ordinarily 1600 miles is really "nothing" but I think a demo might be a little different. What do you think? What kind of price break should I get? The MSRP of it is 35
  • valone1valone1 Member Posts: 3
    CAN ANY TELL ME IF YOU CAN GO DOWN TO A T RATED TIRE ON A 2002 ES 300.I HAVE BEEN GETTING HORRIBLE MILEAGE ON MY ES ANY WHERE FROM 15K TO 20K. I WAS HOPING TO GO TO THE MICHELIN HYDRO-EDGE OR GOODYEAR TRIPLE TREAD. THE LAST SET ON MY CAR IS THE FALKEN ZIEX ZE 512. ANY SUGGGESTION OUT THERE FOR A GOOD TIRE WITH GOOD TREAD LIFE
  • mmm5mmm5 Member Posts: 5
    i have seen people run lower speed rated tires although it is not recommended to do so.

technically you shouldn't as it could affect handling and traction but H rated tires are rated at 130mph...
  • es4jbes4jb Member Posts: 17
    Several months back I posted my complaints about the cost of adding satellite radio to the Lexus audio system. Recently I found that several Delphi XM radio models (SkyFi2 and Roady) broadcast to an unused FM channel. I bought the new Delphi Roady XT which is very small, about the size of deck of playing cards. This for 80 bucks.

Now my problem is I cannot figure out where to install the unit in the vehicle. There really is no room on the center console. Delphi provides vent-mount clip but blocking my air flow seems like a bad idea. Not sure where to put the stick-on mount. In fact, do I even WANT to stick this onto the wood or leather dashboard finish?

I am sure I'm not the first to add the external XM module. Where did some of you install it?
  • alston28alston28 Member Posts: 98
    Here's the follow up to my saga. I located Frank's Locksmith on the Internet. http://www.lexuskeys.info/
    I sent him the broken key along with $65. I received in return the broken key (the metal "key" part is separated from the "electronics" part), along with a new key. The new key has the plastic "housing" attached to the metal key, but there are no electronics in the housing. I tried the new key in the ignition. It fit, when I turned it the engine turned over, but it would not start. However, the new key will start the car when the old "electronics" part from the broken key is next to the new key on the key ring. I was expecting the new key to be just like the old key (before it broke in 2), with "electronics" in the housing. So, I was disappointed, but at least I now have a new key that will work, if it's next to the old housing wit the "electronics."
  • moondoggymoondoggy Member Posts: 3
    I am thinking about buying a Lexus ES 330 but I have never owned a Lexus before. I have some concerns about buying a Lexus just because there are few dealerships outside major metro areas. What can I expect if I have troubles and I'm stuck in Pumpkin Center, Iowa?

Also, what can I expect price-wise regarding parts and service? Does Lexus gouge you on the price just because "if you can afford a Lexus, you can afford what we are charging for parts and service"?

Lastly, is there anything I should know, up front, about anything that might be qwirky and or different from owning a mainstream auto? I read somewhere that the adaptive "Learn as you go" fly by wire throttle and transmission is strange. Can someone filll me in?
  • moondoggymoondoggy Member Posts: 3
    I have been thinking about getting a Lexus ES 330 but several people have suggested that the Toyota Avalon is, perhaps, a better deal. Does anyone have any thoughts they would like to share in regard to the pros and cons of this?
    The Lexus ES series may be in the process of being discontinued. It appears that it has already been dropped everywhere but in the US. I suspect that the entire Camry product is being moved to the US leaving only the ES to be manufatctured in Japan, maybe not enough reason to keep the Japanese plant open. It also appears that Lexus is already (maybe even Toyota too) moving away from FWD and/or front biased AWD.

The 2006 upcoming RAV4 will likely be RWD based, but rear torque biased for certain in the AWD/4WD version. Personally I have always taken the position that FWD vehicles, with the engine weight over the drive wheels, have greater get up and go traction, but can be hazardous.

You may note that a feature of the new Lexus GS and IS AWD versions is the use of the VSC's yaw sensor to quickly apportion engine torque, leading and lagging, away from the front to prevent inadvertent loss of directional control. It appears that the new 4runner will have the same feature.

If you are in Iowa you might want to be aware of the propensity of any Toyota and/or Lexus vehicle to mysteriously and suddenly fog over the interior surface of the windshield.

There are several flaws in the automatic climate control that you will get used to over time.

Google for:

Denso Demist

For information.

Last, a goodly percentage of owners of the Toyota/Lexus 5-speed transaxle equipped vehicles seem to be experiencing a significant level of engine acceleration delay, some claim 2 to 3 seconds, just after a brief period of throttle fully closed "coastdown".
  • jones8jones8 Member Posts: 3
    Purchased a new ES 330 in August and hav 3000 miles on it. I keep hearing a slight rattling noise when going over bumps in road and almost sounds like it is coming from the moonroof. Has anyone experienced noise from the moonroof? Should dealer be able to fix this?
  • iyaayas46190iyaayas46190 Member Posts: 3
    This didn't work on my 2005 ES, any other ideas? Thanks
  • iyaayas46190iyaayas46190 Member Posts: 3
    I guess I should have read the owners manual first. The trick is to turn the ignition to ACC or Lock postion then while depressing the reset button turn the key to the "on" position...
  • alston28alston28 Member Posts: 98
    After some prompting, I easily moved the "electronics" from the old key housing to the new key housing. I'm now a totally satisfied customer and recommend Frank's Locksmith to those with broken Lexus keys.
  • lenscaplenscap Member Posts: 854
    The Lexus ES is not being discontinued. In fact, an all-new redesigned ES 350 will be in dealers around April. Also, it has not been dropped in other countries - the car (known elsewhere as the Windom) was never sold in places like Europe. It was only offered in Japan and a few other countries and as far as I know the redesigned version will appear in those places as well (the Windom name may be dropped now that Lexus is a global brand).

That said, the ES is the only Lexus car that shares its platform with a Toyota vehicle (the Camry), so in that regard it doesn't really fit in with the rest of the lineup.

While Lexus is mostly a RWD company, Toyota for the most part will stay FWD as that is their bread-and-butter - cars like the Camry, Avalon and Corolla. Those vehicles will not be switched to RWD.
    Expect the most wonderful riding car. Just got the black diamond and it is fabulous. Loving every minute behind the wheel. 28 mpg hwy. Just a joy to drive.
    Who cares. The ES is just a wonderful car and it is a pleasure to be cruising in it. Enjoy life and buy the car. Loving the interior and the delight of a comfortable ride.
  • olddaveolddave Member Posts: 21
    My 2005 ES 330 with 7600 miles is starting to fall apart! We use the sunshade in our ES quite a bit because our 8-year-old son rides in the back, and it makes the back seat more comfortable for him. For the past few months I have noticed a white nylon "cord" sticking out of the top of the sun shade on the passenger side. When the shade went up and down, the cord scraped against the rear window defroster glued to the inside of the rear window. Then I noticed on the driver side of the shade it was sagging, and no longer taut when it was up. So I assumed the cord probably anchors the shade material to the frame. Anyway, I took it in to Lexus for servicing, and they determined it has to be replaced (under warranty). So now I am "waiting for parts"!! The service writer said he had "never seen this problem before", but I am skeptical every time I hear a comment like that... The sun shade looks kind of flimsy to me.
    Has anyone else had any problems with their sun shade??
  • olddaveolddave Member Posts: 21
    When we bought our 2005 ES330 in April, 2005, one of the attractions was the "Free Loaner" program. Well, it turns out the loaner car is not quite "free". Apparently since June of 2004, our local Lexus dealer charges for gas for the loaners. Their quote is, "The loaner is free, but the gas is not". I am not going to complain about a few bucks for gas, but I wonder if this policy is common among Lexus dealers, and if so, then why does Lexus continue to advertise "free loaners" when they are not free.
    So my question is, when you take your Lexus in for service, and you get a "free loaner", do you have to pay for gas or any other fees???
    Thanks for letting me vent....
    Old
  • sopecreeksopecreek Member Posts: 203
    I don't bring my 2001 ES to the dealer anymore. But when I did, the loaner was provided for free, no charge for gas. The gas tank was always about a quarter or less filled. So when I returned the car, I always put a gallon or two as a courtesy because I didn't want to return it with the empty warning light on. (Come to think of it, the last dealer trip was about two years ago. So it may have changed since. Must have something to do with increased price of gas during the last couple of years.)
  • snaab93se1snaab93se1 Member Posts: 69
    I have the same rattle in the sunroof....have had it to the dealer and they claimed to have fixed it...but its back again...have other rattles they can't fix also the pass side door has a annoying rattle which they have tried to fix twice...and new this week is a horrible rattle from the instrument cluster. Add this to the master cylinder failing at 1030 miles, the hesitation problem and paint that chips and flakes like cheap nail polish and you get an unhappy customer. I fill out customer surveys from Lexus but no one ever contacts me. I expected more....however it is very comfortable and effortless to drive
This discussion has been closed.