Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Mercedes-Benz S-Class

Comments

• merc1merc1 Member Posts: 6,081
    I'll boldly predict that the next S-Class will be presented at either the 2005 Geneva (March) or Franfurt (Sept) shows. Eithe way we'll get it in 2005 as either a 05' or early 06' model.

M
  • airmaticairmatic Member Posts: 54
    I just rented the movie “bad company” with Chris Rock and Anthony Hopkins in it. It features a fantastic car scene chase, with of course, a 2000 black-opal (I believe) S-Class (I can’t tell what kind… looks like a European version, because of license plate, but wheels look like US version). At the beginning, the car looks beautiful, but by the end of the chase, its ready to be junked. It’s a pretty good movie, though kind of confusing for me at first…

By the way- I finally got back my S. I’ll probably keep it until the new S-Class comes out, or when the refreshed 745Li arrives.
  • twatkins2twatkins2 Member Posts: 2
    any info on after market extanded warrantee compared to mercedes benz warranty
  • ssinwellssinwell Member Posts: 14
    I heard that Shell offers a 93 octane (read this in the Toyota townhall chat). Up to now I have used only Unocal or Mobil etc, which have 91 octane only.

If true (i.e, that Shell offers this) that using the 93 octane would be beneficial for the engine? I'm not concerned about MPG or cost, but merely what is best to use...
  • johnnyboy4johnnyboy4 Member Posts: 10
    Would seem like that engine is gone.

You may say that then Mercedes would be ridicoulously expensive. A 7-speed, and the 350 engine would make the car similar to the current S430 performance wise and could be cheaper by maybe 5k. 500 could drop in pirce as well or pump up in number of features. Would be strange to keep around the 430 just for one car. Not really smart considering cost.
    That very same question was raised when the CLK430, E430 and ML430 were all replaced by 5.0L cars, but Mercedes is sticking by the S430 and it does get the 7 sp trans this fall also. I seriously doubt we're getting the S350 for 2004, but anything is possible. Mercedes was still using the 4.3L V8 for the CLK430 Cabriolet up until this spring, and the 4.3 does come down the same assembly line as the 5.0L motor so it's really not expensive to keep it around until the all new engines arrive in 2005.

M
  • boo20boo20 Member Posts: 85
    What new engines? I was going to get an S this fall. Are these 'new engines' something worth waiting for?
    Well there has been a lot of talk about the next generation of direct injection engines, CAR magazine has a good writeup about them. I believe it's the August issue. The S-Class isn't scheduled to get any new engines until it's redesigned sometime in 2005. The SLK, which should debut either Jan or March of 04' and the CLE should carry the new engines first. There are no official details yet.

M
    Both have nice torque especially the 500 but if you look at their RPM figures they could jump up a bit maybe giving 10 more hp to the 430 and 15 to the 500. One other thing that is strange for me. Why did the figures on the 430 keep going down every year. Even if they are three valve these engines should still be more efficient than let's a 6400 rpm Q45 engine geared toward power.
    The "430" models have always had the same power rating of 275hp and 295lb-ft of torque, only the ML had different ratings. When did they go down?

M
    I remember the original in 2000 being something like 17-24.
    Oh that, well the S430 has gained weight since 2000. Most cars gain a few pounds during their production run due to added features, safety equipment etc.

M
  • l125l125 Member Posts: 1
    Any one here about rebates on the S Class in August? Are dealers sitting with abundant inventory which may force action action by Mercedes to help make way for the 04's coming in September? Ready to lease but if I can save a few bucks along the the way I would be happy to wait the week out.
  • karkeskarkes Member Posts: 1
    Anybody have the VP or SVP contact info at MB USA for customer service. My 2000 S430 has been in for A/C problems 6 times, COMAND center problems 4 times, system problems (brakes, engine, etc.) 5 times and misc junk another 3. All I want is a swap for a car with a better repair history, nothing new, just even swap. Nope, they won't do it. They say that's what the warranty is for, to fix the problems. Well they aren't the one in the shop every other month.
    That's not what the warantee is for. That's what lemon laws are for. Depending on the state in which you live an unsucessful attempt to repair a major component after three tries triggers the lemon law. I believe that attornys take these cases on consignment and get paid by the manufacturer if you win.
  • jawdocjawdoc Member Posts: 6
    We're considering a 4matic '04 S500. Anyone out there having any luck with reliability in late model S class vehicles. I have an E320 4matic wagon ('99) and it has been very disappointing.
    mb1ray,

Sounds like a really good deal. Good luck.
  • mb1raymb1ray Member Posts: 3
    jawdoc,
    I am not going to get an S class, I'm just passing on this good deal!
    I appreciate the headsup. Thanks.
  • daughertynddaughertynd Member Posts: 4
    In response to karkes message #1548, you should be able to get the address/phone number for MB USA from their website. We were able to use the lemon law in Virginia to obtain a new S500. The vehicle had to be owned for 18 months or less and have been in for service 3 times or more for the same type of problem (refer to my messages 1487, 1493 and 1498). Good luck.
  • jrosasmcjrosasmc Member Posts: 1,711
    Just about everyone knows that Princess Diana passed away while riding in an MB S-Class, a '95 S280. I am currently in London and have seen many examples of S280s all within the span of two weeks. What I don't understand is why Benz chose not to bring that particular model to the U.S. I would have loved to see how that relatively small 6-cylinder engine, in that big W140 body, could handle American driving conditions. I bet it would have performed beautifully.
  • jamesfletcher2jamesfletcher2 Member Posts: 127
    Princess Diana passed away while riding in an MB S-Class. However, it was a S600. The S-Class with a v12.
  • linardlinard Member Posts: 59
    Actually, Princess Diana was in an S280. It was widely publicized in Europe the model she was in. I am not sure if it was a long or short wheelbase model though...
    Just curious......did they ever determine at what speed the car was traveling when it crashed?

M
  • 1934minn1934minn Member Posts: 1
    Interested in pros and cons on '99 S500. Looking at one with 13,400 miles and in mint condition. Would be trading in a '99 Jag Vanden Plas. Also, is true that the S500 operates best on Mobil 1 synthetic oil? Any info appreciated.
    Merc1,

I seem to remember that the French police estimated that it entered the overpass tunnel at approximately 70mph - 75mph. It actually crashed into the wall a short distance after entry considering the entry speed.
    I don't know when the FSS was introduced in the S class (it is present in the '99 SL). All MBs with FSS (flexible service system) need to use synthetic oil. I think that only AMG engines specifically recommend Mobil 1. The dealer where I have my cars serviced uses Castrol syntec. This is another recommended oil for MBs with FSS.
  • pathdocpathdoc Member Posts: 126
    I purchased a 99 S 500 a little over 2 years ago. It had approx 14000 miles and had been used by the sales manager's wife. I paid $56000 but that included negotiations for a trade in on my 93 S 500 for which I got a reasonable amount. I have a XKR convertible as my everyday car and use the Mercedes when I need the space. Since 1999 was the last year of that model I felt it was going to be reliable and it has been. In a couple of years I will probably consider a 2003 or newer S500 when they get the bugs worked out.
  • i_drivei_drive Member Posts: 35
    i got a call from the dealership, my SL55 has been fixed! i am so excited. i am going tomorow to inspect and drive the baby home.

sorry, but I am too happy at the news.
    Speaking of which, MB has released the video from this year's AMG Challenge:

http://www.mbusa.com/amg/experience/challenge.jsp?model=null

M
  • i_drivei_drive Member Posts: 35
    i know that generally, autospies.com is not that accurate. but after finding these pictures of camoflauged protoypes of the new 2005 S-Class:
    http://www.autocarmagazine.co.uk/news_article.asp?na_id=204204

they look awfully similar to the pictures that autospies had.
    http://www.imakenews.com/autospies/e_article000116246.cfm
    they claimed that they saw the car in person and had several photos.

i hope that autospies isn't correct, because that car looks just the same as the current S-Class!
  • khans1khans1 Member Posts: 1
    1995 s420. The asr light came on in the middle of the road. I limped it home and took it for service. They 1st replaced the wiring harness for the accuator. Then the engine wiring harness. Then the air mass meter. Still not running right so they are thinking its the whole control module thats bad. Could that be? I would appreciate any help on this. I'm in dire straights over this. Help.
  • kjones3180kjones3180 Member Posts: 1
    I'm looking at buying a one-owner 2000 S500 from a local guy. Great looking car, 29,000 miles and very good service history. It doesn;t have the rear sun-shade or integrated phone but its got most everything else. He's asking $45,000. I've done some research and this seems below most others on the market? Any thoughts on a what a good price is? thanks.
    Hey are you still out there? What happened with your S430?

M
  • jstylejstyle Member Posts: 129
    AutoBild has a CGI photo of the new S Class developed by spy photos and they claim inside sources. Take a look.
  • mbnut1mbnut1 Member Posts: 403
  • airmaticairmatic Member Posts: 54
    I haven't been in such a good mood lately---
    my parents, and my best friend's house (known him since we were less than 1 year old)caught on fire during the fire-storm we had here in San Diego about 2 weeks ago. burn't to the ground. my parents forunately, recovered some valuable and personal belongings (including their wedding ring and pictures of their children (and me) when we were young. although they were reconsidering about rebuilding their house, i have decided that they should just move into ours. what a shame.

unfortunately, not the same to my friends house (Jason). he lost absolutely everything, including his beloved, recently-fully-restored Mini Cooper from '67, i believe. saw pictures of the car, and his now burnt lot. it is really emotional to see.

well, my a highly special object that my parents lost during the fire was their cherished '85 Mercedes 500SL. beautiful, in perfect condition.
    i have determined to replace their MB with a new SL500.

as for Jason, he lost EVERYTHING except for his family (they are safe), and clothing. they had no time to retrieve anything as they were evacuated early in the morning.
    some close buddies have decided to pitch in a purchase a new 2004 Mini Cooper for him. Red in color, just like his old one.

well, on the brighter side, our S430 is doing fine, although it seems to have a brain of it's own: the seat mysteriously adjusts itself by it self; when I leave in the day before, and come in the next day in the morning in the garage; either the headrest is fully up or the seat is all the way to the front. i don't understand this because i thought that the seat's don't have power if the ignition is out, and no one enters the garage at night... who knows- i hope one day, i don't find out that the car backed itself out of the garage one day!

as for the SL; she's a beauty!
    Sorry for your losses, though it's good to hear that no one got hurt and that everyone is safe. I had at least realtive to loose everything in a fire and I couldn't imagine what that must be like. Hope everything returns to normal soon, take care.

M
  • shep1950shep1950 Member Posts: 1
    Can anyone direct me to an after market parts store that sells Mercedes Benz wood grain gear shift knobs and other Mercedes Benz parts
  • profvhprofvh Member Posts: 31
    One that I have used and liked is Performance
    Products. (www.PerformanceProducts.com)
    Fax: 1-800-752-6196. Phone for Catalog:
    1-800-752-6056. Address: Performance Products,
    PO Box 7257, Van Nuys, CA 92409-7257.

They have an 84 page catalog that offers every
    thing you would want for a Mercedes.
  • niceputtniceputt Member Posts: 23
    I'm thinking of buying a new S430.Can any of you knowledgable souls tell me whether I can expect to get a deal similar to Lexus LS430 (about 3k over invoice) or should I expect to pay msrp? Thanks.
  • jeffk13jeffk13 Member Posts: 3
    Hey Niceputt,
    Where do you live?. In Los Angeles you should be able to get an 04 from 500-1000 over invoice, and an 03 (if you can find one ) for 2000-3000 under invoice. Let me know if you need more help.
  • jamiem4jamiem4 Member Posts: 23
    Help! Before we go and buy this car (tonight/Friday), the dealer is quoting "invoice" of 90K for the following S500 (new): Sport package,parktronic, keyless go, rear-side blinds, wood trims, navigation, e-trunk closer, tire-pressure monitoring! Does that sound right to any of you experts? The color is Black opal/stone interior -it's a beautiful looking car (& my husband will not buy a Lexus...)but the cost, for a 2003, still seems high to me. Any suggestions greatly appreciated!! Jamie
  • jeffk13jeffk13 Member Posts: 3
    Jamie,
    The car should invoice for about $86,700 and then there is 4,000 in dealer cash and about 2,700 in hold back. The dealer is in this car for about $80,000. The 04's are out. I would offer about 82,700 and go as high as $83,700, then walk. You should be able to buy the same car as a 04 for about $88,000 and it will be worth atleast 5,000 more wholesale trade in three years from now. Good luck, and enjoy your new S. It is a great car.
    J
  • mcaleermcaleer Member Posts: 11
    When I purchase my 2001 E320, I gleaned from this site the name of a person that was cutting good deals on the MB Extended Warranty. I've sold the E320 and am purchasing a new S430. I can't find the Warranty person's name. I think it was a Lisa somebody. Anybody out there can help?
  • brianhdbrianhd Member Posts: 1
    I just recently put a deposit on a 2000 S-430 and wondered if I negotiated a good price? I was able to purchase this car for $36K. It's a pretty standard S-430 w/ Navigation, CD Changer, Heated Seats, Moonroof, etc. Color is Black Almadine w/ Tan. Has 56,400 miles, and was locally owned/leased.
    I have been considering a 2004 S600 and would love to hear likes/dislikes from any current generation S600 owners.

Thank you.
  • lees2780lees2780 Member Posts: 1
    How much should I take for my S-500? I have an black/black 2001 S-500 with 32,000 miles. It also has the Sport package, ventilated seats, and other options. 01' list price was $92,000.
    It also has a new set of Bridgestone Potenza S-3's. Any idea as to what I should be willing to take if I sold it outright or took it to a dealer for trade?
    Thanks, Ed
  • patpat Member Posts: 10,421
    Ed, while you wait for some thoughts here you might want to drop by our Real-World Trade-In Values discussion and ask Terry (rroyce10). Take a few minutes to read some messages there so you understand what information you need to provide in order for him to help.

Good luck!
  • nvbankernvbanker Member Posts: 7,239
    I don't have one - (very much interested in having one someday though), but I have lots of clients who do, and the ones with the S600 seem to have lots of complaints. Not so much so on the S500 and S430 - they seem to be fine.
This discussion has been closed.