Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Mercedes-Benz S-Class

Comments

• mbnut1mbnut1 Posts: 403
    Thanks for the details.

If Lexus would only create a car that drove like a Mercedes, better yet if only Mercedes would make a car as reliable as a Lexus....
  • acco20acco20 Posts: 208
    With no disrespect intended, " if only Mercedes would make a car as reliable as Mercedes once was"........
  • ljflxljflx Posts: 4,661
    See the June Motor Trend for the next gen Lexus LS. I think you will like it. I just took a 2004 LS lease to set me up for the 2007 LS redesign. But the next LS may arrive as early as 2006 with a lot of variants, including a long wheel base version and poweful hybrid engines as well as a $100K super LS equal to a 12 cylinder.

MB has to get their quality and reliability back at least partially. The bulletproof cars of the past are what MB is all about. I think it'll only happen if they cut back to a nore manageable production level. I've leased nothing but Lexus since 95 and yes they've all been letter perfect. But I'd like to put a CL or SL in my garage alongside an LS and GX. It'd make for a great garage and it would be nice to experience the greatness of both manufacturers at the same time. But its posts like your earlier ones that scare the heck out of me.

Good Luck.
  • mbnut1mbnut1 Posts: 403
    " if only Mercedes would make a car as reliable as Mercedes once was"........

True indeed. How quickly we forget....

And to think my dad bought his first Mercedes because he was so tired of poor American car quality. Like piston rings that wore out in less than 50K miles
  • washington2washington2 Posts: 10
    I have just purchased a 2000 S430 51,000 miles on it. I traded in a 98 Lexus LS400 with Nav. Excellent reliable car. I Bought the Mercedes from Carmax with the 36 mos/36,000 Maxcare Extended Warranty. Is there any specific problems to look out for in this year car? I also looked for a Lexus LS430 with Nav. But got a better deal on the Benz surprisingly.
  • oacoac Posts: 1,594
    Good luck with your new ride. There is a reason why the 2001 LS w/Nav was higher priced. For one, it is a year newer than the MB, and it has a higher *perceived* quality than the 2000 MB. You gotta pay for quality.

Just for reference, my good buddy just bought a 2004 E320 Black/black, to add to his 2000 E320 white/tan, bringing to 4 the number of cars in his garage. His 2000 E has been stellar in reliability. Of course, he's only put on about 30K miles in 4 years, with no problems to date. That gave him more confidence purchasing another MB. On the flip side, I know of a wife of a colleague who purchased an '03 E320 last Sept., which had been nothing but trouble. The car has spent more time in the shop than on the road. Major trouble: electrical. BUT, she still swears by her MB. So I asked her why ? Her response: That was her 50th birthday gift from her hubby ! Another buddy of mine continues to drive his 1997 S500 to date, with 120K miles on the ody. Loves it like a second wife !!
  • I have a chance to pick up a spotless 2002 S600 with all the options. Sport package, distronic, radar, etc. The mileage is what has me hesitating to buy, but on the other hand, is also the reason I can afford it. It has 69,500 miles, but is Starmarked to 100K. I put on about 24K a year, so might only get about 16 months before the warranty runs out. I can get this beauty for around $58,000. What would the value be in 2 years with approx 120K miles? Does this sound too good to be true? Thanks in advance for any opinions.
  • patpat Posts: 10,421
    Auroraborer, also try asking Terry in Real-World Trade-In Values - take a look at some of the other posts so you'll see what info he needs in order to give you his opinion.

Good luck - let us know what happens!
  • bryan3bryan3 Posts: 2
    Hi: Try Fleetrates.com. This is an excellent source for s class. You will be very pleased.Good Luck.

Bryan
  • Hello all,
     I looked at a 95 S320, I noticed that the doors and trunk are not pneumatically closed as my 93 S320. Did Mercedes stop this feature in 95? I didn't see the headlamps wipers. Please let me know if something is wrong with this car or it's just the way it's built.

Thanks,
  • 418april418april Posts: 1
    I have a MB 2004 S Class with 4500 miles and the system shutdown leaving manual steering, no brakes, no power, the dealership said that they have never had this problem or heard of it which I find hard to believe.
    I guess they haven't solved the electronic problem. I don't want the car back. I feel I might end up to be a hood ornament for an 18 wheeler. Any advice.
  • nvbankernvbanker Posts: 7,285
    Trade it on a Lexus.
  • quik4444quik4444 Posts: 3
    Any new options or features for the 2005 s600?
  • merc1merc1 Posts: 6,081
    Probably not. There might be a special edition package for the S-Class, if MY 2005 is the last MY for the U.S, but I think the S-Class will go onto a short 2006 (Sept05-spring 06) 2006 model year.

M
  • boxcarboxcar Posts: 1
    Anyone with experience with the non AMG "Appearance Package" (18" Wheels & Tires). Do they adversely affect ride? Is the set-up only advantageous on dry road? What about the "Comfort Package" - Active Ventilated Seats. Aside from the cooling fans, do they offer any more comfort than the standard units? Finally, any feedback on the "Active Body Control"?

I thank you in advance for your comments.
  • carmaven18carmaven18 Posts: 21
    How are the power rear seats in the S-Class? What parts move, and how much room is there-- are they actually worthwhile (and is there enough legroom) while spread all the way out? Thanks in advance for your help.
  • rellotsrellots Posts: 2
    I'm really close to buying a 1999 S320 with only 14000 miles. It sounds weird but I'm trading in a Honda Odysee ( sick of van world!) and looking for a little more stylin'. However, my kids say "its old school" and so many of the message boards talk about big repair costs. The dealer is giving me a 3yr 100,000 warranty...but is it worth the trips to the shop? The price seems great.
  • pathdocpathdoc Posts: 126
    I have a99 S500 that has been nearly trouble free. It was the last year produced and so I think they got most of the problems fixed. I also had a 93 which was relatively trouble free and actually thought the 99 had been decontented in comparison to save money. I don't think I would consider the new 2000 + version until the 2004 model.
  • rellotsrellots Posts: 2
    Thanks for your response... still weighing it over. I bet the car will be snapped up pretty quick. Always a day late and a dollar short.