Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Mercedes-Benz S-Class

Comments

• larianlarian Posts: 3
    Thanks for your opinion, Carnaught.
    Yes, S550. Sorry.
  • I am the owner of a 2007/S 550. Has any other person with this car had a problem with the 19 inche rims cracking. I am from the NYC area and in the last 3 months have had 3 thats right 3 of these rim crack on the inside causing the tires to leak air. I have had the rims replaced at a cost of 920.00 each. According to the dealer they claim I must have hit a pot hole. I am in NYC everyday and show me a street that does not have a pot hole and I will tell you where you can buy a bridge for sale.

If ANYONE has this problem or heard about this could you PLEASE let me know. The dealer has informed me that they have no suck problem with other 550 and the 19 inches rims. Thanks
  • I am the owner of a 2007/S 550. Has any other person with this car had a problem with the 19 inch rims cracking. I am from the NYC area and in the last 3 months have had 3, thats right 3, of these rims crack on the inside causing the tires to leak air. I have had the rims replaced at a cost of $920.00 each. According to the dealer they claim I must have hit a pot hole. I am in NYC everyday and show me a street that does not have a pot hole and I will tell you where you can buy a bridge for sale.

If ANYONE has this problem or heard about this could you PLEASE let me know. The dealer has informed me that they have no such problems with other 550 and the 19 inches rims. Thanks
  • garyh1garyh1 Posts: 386
    OK, the S550 has been around long enough to give owners a feel for how well MB has accomplished its goal of making the new version more reliable than the previous version. Initial reports on delivery quality were improved, but how have the cars held up in the real world? Has the S550 stayed away from the electrical and mechanical problems prevalent in the S500s?

As a potential purchaser who previously switched to Lexus after years of owning only MBs due to the high value I put on reliability, I look forward to hearing from people who actually own the current car.
  • I am also from the NYC area and experienced the same problem with a 2007/E350 with the 18" sport package. Crack was on the inside of the rim and did not show any bending damage. MB uses rims from Ronal (made in Poland) and don't seem to be top quality. For my commute I also use(d) a Porsche 911 and Audi S4 wih 18" rims and NEVER experienced this problem before. Dealer adviced taking an insurance for the rims.
  • I am considering purchasing a 2005 S500 with 62,195 miles. It is the Designo Edition. The asking price is $31,900. I am having it checked out at a MB dealership. Can anyone please tell me anything that they know about this model? That is pros and cons? If this model and year are unreliable and I should not make the purchase because of problems with the car, please tell me. I have never owned a MB S500. Please be so kind as to respond. Thanks in advance. Sincerely, Andover
  • rockypaulrockypaul Posts: 104
    I have not been around in a while.

For what it's worth my 2003 S-430 4-Matic has been a joy.
    No problems whatsoever and a winter snow mobile this time of year.

I add these comments having just browsed some of the past posts.
    Someone may find them of value if looking for a used M-B.

This is my third 4-matic and it has been a lifesaver over the years and we will never by a car without this feature.

My other car is an '07 E-350 4-Matic wagon. Same great experience as with the S above.
  • Rockypaul:

Thank you so very much for the feedback. I am buying a used MB S500. The S430 looks like the S500 to me. You have maintained it the dealer? You have had no problems with specific areas of the car? Why is it the Consumer Reports gives the S class models such horrific reviews? Any ideas? When you get a moment respond. If you know of any site where I can learn more about the S500, please let me know.
    Thanks!
    Andover
    Consumer Reports presents conflicting recommendations for cars. I had subscribed for years at my office for additional buying help for my staff but when I questioned their survey techniques and findings with respect to car reviews they sent me a very defensive letter.
    You will find cars on the recommended list yet also demonstrate poor repair histories. My main issue with them is not reporting the number of respondents per vehicle and year. Many ratings are carried over from previous data and cars that are say 4 years old have a terrible history on brake repairs. Well, of course they would need brakes but at what mileage? They have this data but choose to leave it out and that diminishes the usefulness of their reports.

The people who choose to respond to their surveys either have legitimate gripes they wish to get off their chests or way too much time on their hands to complete such a lengthy survey.

Oddly, over the years CR has road tested E and S class sedans and they were overwhelmed by the quality, luxury and performance. Go figure.

I do maintain my cars at the dealer religiously. The only issue I had was following a replacement of a voltage regulator under a service bulletin they did not clear the resultant error codes and I had to return. That and 2 headlight bulbs replaced (my headlights are on all the time) under warranty.

The difference between the 430 and the 500 are as follows from the catalog:
    Bigger motor, more power;
    Leather quality;
    HID Headlights on the 500;
    Heated seats standard on 500.

You can compare each year and model for the last 16 years at the M-B site.
  • bmlexusbmlexus Posts: 755
    As a potential purchaser who previously switched to Lexus after years of owning only MBs due to the high value I put on reliability,

Did u switch to the ls460?

Don't have much experience abt merc but my dad had own it previously and still loves it . His favo car is the Cls class.

By the way my uncle had just traded his blue bmw 7 series 2004 to 2008 S350 last week in white with that black sun roof I think it's called panamara looks soooo nice. this car looks very special.
  • Hello MB fans and owners....I have a 2003 S430 with the sports package...When I turn the wheel every now and then I hear this CLANK! and the alignment seems to get out of whack...Then another CLANK...and all is fine for a while. It seems like something is loose but the mechanic says everything is fine....What's the deal?
  • garyh1garyh1 Posts: 386
    Did u switch to the ls460?

No, I bought a '05 LS430 before the LS460 was available. Interestingly, I just was talking to a fellow I know who called his CLS "an expensive piece of junk".

I'm still disappointed that no current S550 owners have responded to my inquiry about their experiences with the reliability of their cars.
    Well since my uncle got it brand new i'd like to give u his experience but i am currently out of town and secondly i am not close to him. but still if i ever get a chance i'll let you know.

thats strange that no1 has responded abt the new s class here

he calls it a piece of junk :sick: but why :confuse: he should have test drove it before buying it.

I don't like cars like cls my self because when ur sitting ur head is touching the roof i am not sure but i had also felt like this in the new LS as well.
  • md2md2 Posts: 15
    I LOVE MY S550 IT IS THE VERY BEST CAR I HAVE SO FAR I HAD A LS430 NOW THIS CAR IS JUNK LOVE MY BENZ THANK YOU
  • I have had my S550 for a little over two years now. The odometer just clicked past the 35000 mile mark and I have yet to have a problem. It has gone in for service every 10000 miles and there is not a squeek or rattle found anywhere.

Also, worth considering the new S is also the highest ranked car in the industry for initial quality by JD Power and considered to be one of the top ten most reliable cars in the world by the European Automotive Press. This has certainly proved true in my case.

I find it kind of funny because I will readily admit that Lexus' have long been more reliable than Mercedes but my friend got a new LS460 a little over a year ago and its back in the shop a fourth time this weekend for the same transmission problem. If you want my opinion, go with the S550. In the long run the Lexus may still prove slightly more reliable, but there is no denying the S will be a vastly more satisfying car to own.
    my friend got a new LS460 a little over a year ago and its back in the shop a fourth time this weekend for the same transmission problem

DId u ever drive ur friends LS if you did how do you compare it with ur s class?

Also, worth considering the new S is also the highest ranked car in the industry for initial quality by JD Power and considered to be one of the top ten most reliable cars in the world by the European Automotive Press. This has certainly proved true in my case.

top 10 in the world which are the other 9cars?
  • jim_houkjim_houk Posts: 1
    Benz tuner,

May be interested in the RS90 17 lorinser wheels you have. I am looking for spares for my 560SEC. Have a set on the car with et22 wheels. What is the off set of your wheels. thank you in advance.

Jim Houk
  • chanderchander Posts: 21
    I am in the market for a 05 S-%00 with low mileage , the car seems to depreciate steeply-any advise on such a car regarding reliability and extended warranty
    Thanx :)
  • mercedesfanmercedesfan Posts: 251
    I have driven his LS460L only once and I wasn't really that impressed. It drives big and floaty while the S drives small and buttoned down. The LS achieves its supreme refinement by completely removing you from the road, the S manages to be both supremely refined while also delivering a firm, solid ride. There is no question that the S is the driver's car of the two and it also feels considerably quicker (although it is really a dead heat). My biggest complaint, however, was that the interior of the LS is filled with hard plastics where the S uses leather. Overall it felt a lot more Toyota than Lexus and I have to say I thought the old LS430 had a better built interior.

This is just my opinion, I think the Lexus is a fantastic car, but the S really is in a league of its own.

Lastly, I don't really remember what all ten were. A good majority were cars sold exclusively in Europe. I do remember that along with the S550 were the Porsche 911, Lexus LS, and Honda Accord. Aside from that I don't really remember and I cannot find the article anymore.
    It drives big and floaty while the S drives small and buttoned down.

I agree on that even sitting in the seat feels that its a huge car to drive and while sitting in the 7seri it felt small and easy to drive.

The LS achieves its supreme refinement by completely removing you from the road,

So ur saying there is no road feeling now this is the second time i heard this about the lexus?

My biggest complaint, however, was that the interior of the LS is filled with hard plastics where the S uses leather. Overall it felt a lot more Toyota than Lexus and I have to say I thought the old LS430 had a better built interior.

But it is a part of toyota so ur bound to feel like its a toyota

This is just my opinion, I think the Lexus is a fantastic car, but the S really is in a league of its own.

Well off course but only a 20 year old company is regularly being compare to a 100+ years old mercedes gotta give some credit to lexus specially for reliability

Anyway thanks for your reply,

I am trying to decide between a SUV currently i favor the X5 but after hearing scary posts about reliability concerns and electronic failures software concerns electronic complicated to use compare to a lexus thats the main reason why i am leaning towards lexus reliability is a big concern to me
    I forgot to mention the main thing i do like lexus but the problem is they currently don't have any SUV to my liking other than the big new LX i like the LX but for me its just tooo big and the RX not really my type to me its very much a ladies car, I been thinking from months why lexus are not considering making a new SUV to compare with the likes of M class X5 cayenne!!!!!

to me LX is to big to compare to these 3 and the RX is well something else.
  • How can I get a bluetooth phone to work in the car without having the adaptor as I would leave the damn phone in the car. Thanks!!
  • blckislandguyblckislandguy Posts: 1,150
    I saw today an '05 or '06 S600 with the AMG name on some trim on the right rear of the trunk. (The AMG chrome piece may well have been added by the owner later.) It also had aftermarket black spoke wheels. Despite the drug dealer type who was driving it, the car looked good in a bad sort of way. Not at all like the usual Mercs driven by harried, overweight CPAs.. And the idea of a V12 turned me on. I realize that the S600's have a mixed reputation and that some problems supposedly can't even be fixed. But I wonder if the later ones, say the '05 and '06's are less problematic?

I'd like to own a V12 once in my life. If you could buy one of these things right (ie., for the same price as a comparable S500), how bad would it be? Especially if certified? Or should I just check myself in for a 28 day program at McClean in Boston?
  • mercedesfanmercedesfan Posts: 251
    The later model years of the previous generaiton S did indeed see vast improvements in quality, but I would still be weary of purchasing a used one unless it was immaculately maintained. If I were you I would hold off a few years and wait for a 2007 or newer S600. The current generation is vastly superior to the previous generation in everyway, including reliability.
  • omycaptomycapt Posts: 2
    Bob, I just read your comments re cracked rims. I have a 2006 E500 with 18" sport rims. 3 weeks ago, the rim cracked and of course, by the time I realized anything, a tire was also ruined. At the MB dealership, I paid, rim $500, tire $352. I replaced them, and yesterday I noticed air loss on another tire. Upon closer examination, I found that rim was also cracked. Please tell me what you have found out so far; satisfaction; etc. etc.
  • omycaptomycapt Posts: 2
    I just read your comments re cracked rims. I have a 2006 E500 with 18" sport rims. 3 weeks ago, the rim cracked on the inside in 2 places, and of course, by the time I realized anything, a tire was also ruined. At the MB dealership, I paid, rim $500, tire $352. I replaced them, and yesterday I noticed air loss on another tire. Upon closer examination, I found that rim was also cracked. Please tell me what you have found out so far; satisfaction; etc. etc.
  • madradmadrad Posts: 24
    Can someone provide details on real time traffic option on 2008 S 550? Is it integrated with the navigation; is is Navteq provided or ?XM satellie provided or SIrius provided?
    Otherwise nice salesperson didn't have very good answers.
    Thanks
  • Hello, I just purchased a 1995 s600 and have a few questions. When I first started driving the car I had no problems at all, after washing it I noticed the ASR and the ABS lights were coming on. After restarting the vehicle the lights would turn off. Now this is constaant. I removed and cleaned the front speed sensors and the problem has not gone away. The bolts holdding the rear sensors are rusted and I cacn't tell if the bolts are a 5mm hex or a star bit. Does anyone have any suggestions. Sorry for rambling. Thank you. :)
  • dandgdandg Posts: 86
    Happy Lexus owner (wife has a RX and its been great!) looking at used, low miles (20-35K) MB's (both the E350 and S430's)
    Thinking of taking the leap to a MB as I like the look better then the GS and LS.I was toying with a S but the Airmatic issues so I concentrated on the E350 's(both 06 and 07's CPO's) but was very dissapointed to find them with vinyl ("MB tex") unless they have the less common leather option (about 1500).No way I would buy a luxury car with taxi cab seats no matter how the "sell" it("last longer","can't tell the diffence"),so I am back to the S's (05- 06's)
    In the 05-06's how bad are the troublesome airmatic issues and what other problems should I expect?
    thanks
    I have both: 2003 S-430 4-Matic and 2007 E-350 4-Matic wagon.

The first version of air matic had issues. The newer one with with ADS II has been problem free for me in 6 years. It is also the best suspension system I have ever had including a Lexus LS.

The E class gets the Airmatic in the V-8 models at a $10k premium.

I need the 4-Matic as it has saved my [non-permissible content removed] so many times on snow and ice.
    I left Lexus for that and other reasons.

If you bye an '05 or newer you will have plenty of warranty left to help with your concerns.
This discussion has been closed.