Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Mercedes-Benz S-Class

Comments

• paulchiupaulchiu Posts: 378
    On newer models, the software should be pre-loaded. You need not worry.

My 2001 S500 has 2600 miles and I picked it up last 9/28. The message just popped up last Sunday when I started up the car. Instead of whatever display you'd set on the instrument panel, you'd get a message "SOS Workshop" instead.

I phoned the Tele-Aid guys right from the car and they told me to get my COMAND software upgraded.

The upgrade is some sort of EPROM burn-in with a portable device. I did not witness the process. It told 2+ hours because the 1st fellow doing it was unsuccessful in 5 tries. The next guy did it on his 1st try. So, try to get a competent technician and you can have it done in 15 minutes!
  • pfiorentinopfiorentino Posts: 26
    Thanks, paulchiu.

But 2600 miles in seven months?! I do that in one-and-a-half! What did you do? Put it away for the winter?
    I really don't have many opps to drive the car. Since I now work out of my home. So the S sits inside the garage pretty much all the time.

I am planning to drive it to Florida or California this or next year.
  • mlbarnesmlbarnes Posts: 48
    I have a 2001 S430 that I brought in March. Should I be worried about the SOS Workshop? What models and/or year are they updating? Any information would be greatly appreciated.
    As far as I know, it does not interfere with driving. THe upgrade is for navigation and information only. After I receive the diagnostic message, I managed to call TeleAid, they voiced their directions to me, and the car drove perfectly afterwards.

If you see the message, simply call TeleAid. They will most likely tell you to call your dealership. Then you can remove message by pressing the "R" trip meter-reset button. Then drive as you would normally. My 2001 S500 was produce in August 2000. I don't know what models and/or year this issue affects.
  • mlbarnesmlbarnes Posts: 48
    Does anyone have any information in reference to adding the close trunk feature? Any information would be greatly appreciated! Thanks
  • taisontaison Posts: 71
    Here is a video clip of the automatic trunk closer feature in a CL600.

Automatic trunk closer video

• mrman_3k1mrman_3k1 Posts: 52
    I have the trunk closer on my S600 and it really is a nice feature. It could be really considered as "not necessary" by some, but I really find it entertaining. When I first picked the car up, I just kept playing with it. I would recommend this to anybody getting an S-Class. after all, when you pay $70-80,000 what is another $500?

Also, could anybody put any videos or pictures of the CL-class, I am considering either the CL600 or CL55. Any input would be greatly appreciated.
    Very, very cool download.

Let me guess: If that car was on the floor at Fletcher Jones in Newport Beach, they must be asking $150K for it.

At least they have one on the floor, though, unlike M-B Manhattan, where I was today, which hasn't seen one since the CL intro, I'd wager. And that's a factory store. I know of dealers like M-B of Greenwich who won't even take a deposit on a CL no matter how long you're willing to wait, because it's just too far many years out now.

Every time I get my weekly issue of "Autoweek," there's 3 or 4 wholesalers in the classified section with several CLs on offer. It irritates me no end that these wholesalers have a selection of cars, and the legitimate factory stores have absolutely none to offer for a year or more. And you better believe that just as many of those CLs are going sideways from dishonest factory authorized dealers to those wholesalers, as are going from legitimate end users who've decided to flip their cars for a profit.

On popular, limited production cars like the CLs, I think M-B should start doing what Ferrari is doing on very limited edition models. That is, if you want one, you have to sign a non-flip agreement. If you do decide to sell in the first year of ownership, the selling dealer has the right to buy the car back for whatever you paid.

Good luck getting a CL55, by the way. Sorry to say, but it's unfortunately virtually impossible to get one at list price from an M-B dealer.
  • rexconde1rexconde1 Posts: 278
    Here is the link to our now gone CL500

http://www.exconde.com/cl500.htm

We sold it for the CLK55, lost the much more elegant look for the CLK%5

pfiorentino:

The CL55 is on order and WE are getting it at sticker....

Robert

How nasty was the "My vehicle is better than yours..." chat yesterday?
  • rexualrexual Posts: 17
    I have an S55 MAG on order with the Key less-Go feature. I was informed by the dealer that it was to be available Jan. 2001. I'm getting vague responses now from them when I call up for an update on the order put through their "TOPS"? system.I would appreciate any feedback and info regarding this. Should I tell them to wait for it or go ahead and take the car without it. Has anyone actually seen it in operation. I also concur with the Gentleman from Manhattan about not being able to see anything before you buy it. What burns me more is the attitude of some of the dealer's salesmen. I don't know why they seemed very unenthusiastic to just take an order. I wasn't there to bargain or get freebies. I had to try 4 different places just to sit down and order one. Are there any other via sources/alternatives to buy this particular model? Thanks for any info you might have. Good Day.
  • drew_drew_ Posts: 3,382
    KeylessGo is definitely available now (at least in Canada). I've seen this option on a few S and a couple of CL-class cars at the dealership. It's a pretty nifty feature. All you do is keep the KeylessGo card in your pocket. To open and close the doors, all you have to do is touch a spot on the door handle. To start the car, there is a button on the top of the shift lever that you press and hold down for a second. The Keycard will have to be within a certain proximity of the steering wheel/shift lever before the car will start though. This safety feature is to prevent any accidental startups. It has been available in Europe since the S-class first came out in 1999, which is why it puzzled me as to why North Americans didn't get the option till now.

Drew
    Host
    Vans, SUVs, and Aftermarket & Accessories message boards
    rexual,

I've noticed this, too. I presume that the reason they're so unenthusiastic is that the sales people don't get paid until one takes delivery on the car. They work on commission.

Robert,

I can order one and pay list for it, too. My point, though, was that a CL55 will take at least two to three years to receive from a New York area dealer, and some even quoted longer than that! Several won't even take an order. It's the same on the West coast.

And yet, if I drive 15 miles outside of Manhattan to a wholesaler in NJ, I can have my immediate choice of three on the showroom floor...for a price, of course. There are many, many other wholesalers in the region who have cars, as well. So what's going on here?

Obviously, those wholesalers are buying a few cars from lucky private owners willing to flip their cars. That practice I don't have as much of a problem with. But the wholesalers don't buy cars that way too often, because it's just too expensive and cuts into their margins, and exponentially increases their exposure. I'll wager many more cars are coming from small market M-B dealers who get one and ship it sideways to these outfits. Or, these wholesalers have multiple deposits on multiple cars and as cars come in they buy them (without paying taxes -- which means the M-B dealer is fully aware of whom they are dealing with and is supposed to invalidate the order). Then the wholesaler sells the car for a fat profit. With all of the cars these guys are shipping offshore, as well, there isn't much left for the rest of us.

This practice is even worse than ticket scalping, which it on the surface resembles. Except in this case, the wholesaler takes almost no risk at all! Unlike ticket scalpers who take a business risk because they actually buy the ticket (although there are crooked ways around that risk, too, as I've learned), if the CL55 market collapses, the wholesaler simply cancels his order and asks for his deposit back. In many states, the dealer has an obligation to promptly return it. No one is a more conservative, free-market enthusiast than I, but gentlemen and ladies, this deck is stacked.

By the way, with the soft economy, I figured there'd be lots of order cancellations, but it seems there haven't been and the car is still essentially impossible to get.

Congratulations on your imminent arrival, though! When did you place your order?
    For my 2001 S600, what the dealer did was looking around the country at all the MB dealers, once they found the car exactly as I ordered it, they purchased it from that MB dealer and shipped the brand new car to the dealer here in the Bay Area. Then I took it home, the one main down side was that the process added an extra $40,000 because it was a Designo and S600. I think things will get better because of the economy and people won't have the money to keep buying these premium cars, I have a CL55 on order and they are doing the same thing again.
  • sigmabossigmabos Posts: 9
    I have a new S430 and I have noticed that the brakes make a rather annoying sound (like chalk on a board)all the time (not just in the am as the dealer said was common)!!!

I told the service manager and he said MB was aware of the problem and working on a different brake pad. How can a $80k have this problem!! Has anyone been able to fix this issue? Please share
  • rexconde1rexconde1 Posts: 278
    In a way it is pathetic that dealers will do this "market adjustment" (I think that is what they are calling it nowadays).

One dealer was selling a BMW Z8 for 289K, an M3 for 70K, each which lists for 129 and around 52K. Some of the CLK55s and S55s are going for 70 and $130K, also respectively.

I dont think that they will get these prices nowadays like you said because of the soft market, but I talked to one of the sales man and he said that he did sell a Z8 to a [non-permissible content removed] for 250K.

Well that is the way that the market works and I guess we'll have to each find our honest dealers. Hey its that $$ that keeps the world going round.

The order is my father's. NOT MINE. However I do wish to someday to be in his position to buy one of those. Our CL55 was supposed to come in July. But his plans are constantly changing. He has to replace the old S500 with something but he hasnt decided. But they are rolling in very slowly, so I think it may be even later -- but no rush. But you are right there have been no cancelations. Off hand I dont recall what # he is right now.

Robert
    In the Bay Area the BMW dealers won't even take orders for the Z8, they said that anyone getting one now has had to pay over $350,000. That is a bit overpriced and I would rather spend it on an SLR which I am, put down a deposit a few weeks ago.

Good luck for anybody trying to get a car, also, there will be problems in cars from $10,000 to $100,000 it is unfortunate but true. At least the MB's are not blowing up like the Rolls Royces.
  • pexplpexpl Posts: 18
    Any body still remeber the Maybach is it coming or not
    Now if MB does made it to production, i will give up on the S-500 for now and wait and put deposit for the new Maybach that's poise to finish building its empire, that is to challenges Rolls and Bent..
    sound exciting doesn't it MB owner and lovers!!?
    They are going to go into production, my friend went to Germany and they had a "tour" of the new car. He said it looked great and they will begin taking deposits.
    Spend under 1 hour waxing my S500 today!

First, use California Brush to dust off dirt from recent rain showers.

Second, use Mequiar's Quik Detailer to really mist out surface dirt. Spread stuff with cotton towel #1. Let sit for 5 minutes. Dry off using cotton towel #2.

Third, use Mequiar's Gold Class Clear Coat Car Wax (liquid form). Spread using applicator. Let dry for 15-20 minutes. Wipe off using cotton towel #2. Let sit another 5 minutes. Wipe hard with clean cotton towel #3.

This baby is now smoother than a baby's [non-permissible content removed].

The "Gold Class" Mequiar's Clear Coat wax shine is pretty great! And very easy to remove.
    Would you recommend me to use the MB cleaning kit, or if there is something better, please tell. Thanks
    MB cleaning kit is made by Mequiar's. I bought the kit 2 years ago for my ML430. My recommendation is for the Mequiar's "New Paint Collection" for 39.95. This kit contains the Quik Detailer, the Gold Class Clear Coat Liquid Wax, and deep crystal polish. And a few other pieces. You should get their pure cotton towels. Go to their website or better yet, call them at 800-545-3321. The reps are very experienced in car care.
    Drew, I appreciate your response regarding this issue. I got a message from the dealer yesterday and again it said it's not being accepted into the order system (TOPS) to Germany. Has anyone successfully ordered this feature on an S class car here in the States?

There was a fellow from Britain who posted a message back in Feb, 2001 that he had a lot of problems with it. And there was another fellow who said he was able to have the feature installed on his S600 which he received in Feb, 2001 in the Bay Area and loved it. Again, I'm debating whether or not to take the car with or whithout it. What kind of track record have you seen in Canada? And any other area where it has been available for the past two years, anyone?. I would appreciate your kind input. Thanks.
    I was on the mbusa website and was doing the building a S500, it is for my parents. I noticed when going to the 4-place air package, that it looks like the wood on the console is chesnut. I thought it looks really good and they like it also. If somebody that has ordered it could please tell me how you like it that would be great. Also could anybody take a look here:

http://www.s-class.mbusa.com/byo/popups/options/S500_582_pop.html

and tell me if that is chesnut or just the lighting.

Thanks in advance.

• benznutbenznut Posts: 104
    When and if you have keyless go, will you still be able to start the car with the conventional key? or does the keyless transponder ommit this?
  • hfrankelhfrankel Posts: 18
    Just saw a 2001 S55 with dual chromed exhaust pipes, which i liked.

I have a 2001 S500 with Sport Package, but it lacks the dual exhaust pipes. Question -- is there a way to retrofit the rear bumper and add the dual pipe extensions. The bumper on the S55 is cutout (rounded) to accomodate the pipes .... can that be done on the non- S55 bumper?

I'm in the Washington, DC area -- if anyone knows a shop that can do this, please let me know. Thanks!!!
  • benznutbenznut Posts: 104
    Why does the Expresso designo edition not feature all the extra leather and wood just like the Silver one does? Mainly i am talking about the leather covered dash, the alcantra headliner and the wood in the rearview and vanity mirrors and everywhere else just like the S600. And yet there is a relatively small price difference between the two.
    Paul, thanks for the feedback on the Keyless Go issue. The dealer is working on it still. Really appreciate you taking the time.
This discussion has been closed.