Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Mercedes-Benz S-Class

Comments

• mrman_3k1mrman_3k1 Member Posts: 52
    I would say a normal odometer for a new car should be under 50 miles, more around 20-30. If it is over 50 miles I would very thoroughly inspect the vehicle (which you should do anyway) and question the dealer. The amount of time for your S to be built is very quick, I actually put the order in for my next one in a few years, probably around late 2003 or so when I sell my current one.

This is a little off topic, but have any of you seen the films on www.bmwfilms.com? I was really impressed and really like the newest #4 film called "Star" which has an M5. I am actually planning on selling my 97 Lexus GS and getting a 2002 M5, it has been on order for over a year and I decided instead of getting a late 2001, I will go for 2002(I am about number 3 for the 2002 model). Take a look at the films and post what you think of them. I thought they were all good except for the #3 which in my opinion is boring.
  • sean2gsean2g Member Posts: 17
    Hello, what are the differences in the shape of an s55 amg and a regular s500 with the sport package. each time i see a s55, it looks different from an s class w/ the sport package thANKS

S
  • taisontaison Member Posts: 71
    I think the only difference on the outside is that the S55 has the dual exhausts while the sport package does not. I think most everything else is the same.
  • bitkahunabitkahuna Member Posts: 206
    I think the S55 has different wheels, and possibly subtle side/fender/rear skirts.

Also the suspension might be lowered a bit giving it a more aggressive look. Whatever they've done the S55 looks GREAT.
    No, the side skirts and wheels are the same as long as you get the sport package option. As I stated before, the only difference is in the exhausts.
    take a look at these links for an s55, and a sport package.

S55: http://www.velocityjrnl.com/cgi-bin/wi.cgi?i=2267 Sport: http://www.velocityjrnl.com/cgi-bin/wi.cgi?i=2790
    And the wheels...
    Are you saying the wheels are different or the same?
    AMG wheels are different than stock wheels.
  • paul422paul422 Member Posts: 3
    Does anyone here own an S-Class designo espresso edition? If so I would appreciate any pics you could post. Also is it worth the extra money? Thanks
    if you are referring to non-sport package vs. the S55 AMG. However, if you compare sport package wheels with the S55 AMG, you will find that they are the same.
  • paulchiupaulchiu Member Posts: 378
    If you are referring to the 2-tone edition. I don;t like it. An S Class interior should be subtle and stately. The other designo edition is extremely light and if you have kids......
    on this CLK.

CLK 55

Very nice blue interior.

• scargo160quickscargo160quick Member Posts: 63
    The only differences are the dual chrome tip exhausts and polished AMG wheels. Everything else is the same (except for the badge and gargantuan engine :) ). The std sprt pkg wheels do not come polished.
  • chapman7chapman7 Member Posts: 23
    sean2g; Is the S55 shown on the link that you provided a Designo Silver Edition?
  • rexualrexual Member Posts: 17
    Now that there is firm build date for my S. My dealer is talking about the extra stuff such as the illuminated door sills and the protective film treatment. Any feed back on these two would be greatly appreciated. Thanks.
    I dont think so, cause if u see the interior, it is black, and the exterior color is silver and not much the gold color.
  • vs4vs4 Member Posts: 70
    Rexual -

I have the door sills on my E430 and they look great. Too bad that they are available only on first two doors in E-class. The ones installed on my car are Blue car and they look great with Brilliant Silver.
  • drew_drew_ Member Posts: 3,382

Just a reminder that the MB chat is on tonight (6-7pm Pacific/9-10 pm Eastern). Hope to see you there!
    http://www.edmunds.com/chat/mercedeschat.html

Drew
    Host
    Vans, SUVs, and Aftermarket & Accessories message boards
    vs4, thanks for taking the time, another MB owner who had the door sills done also said that they look great. The only reservation he had was that the plastic letters scratche easily(relative, I guess). Have you seen any of that?
    Rexual-

I just took the delivery of my E430 on Friday, so I have not seen any scratches on the plastic film yet. So no experience with that yet.
  • dre2011dre2011 Member Posts: 2
    Does anyone have any concerns about buying a 1995 S350D, the last year of the S-Class diesel, w/ 80k miles? Were there any common technical problems w/ '95 S-Classes? I've heard that S-Classes have a/c problems from 1992-96--is this true/false? Any comments at all would be appreciated. Also, comments about performance, power, acceleration, and reliability would be appreciated. I know that a diesel doesn't accelerate very well, but is it unbearably slow?
  • georget3georget3 Member Posts: 53
    Can anyone suggest a good way to mount the front license plate neatly and professionally? The S class comes with only two mounting holes(bottom). The dealer did not do anything but put two screws to secure the plate. The result is a license plate with top flopping and scrapping against the front bumper.

I suggest MB designs something better to mount the plate. After all the car costs more than $90K!
  • rexconde1rexconde1 Member Posts: 278
    There is a mounting plate that you have to use to secure it. The dealer cannot just use the two holes to secure the plate.

If your state requires the front plate. INSIST that they use the bracket. It will look much better. That is definatly wrong.

I never have the dealer install the front plate, purely aesthetics reasons, but illegal. I suggest checking in the spare tire compartment, that is where I found my fathers on his 95 S500. It may be in there. Either way have the dealer do it, it is supposed to be part of the preinspection before they give you the car.

Robert
  • pfiorentinopfiorentino Member Posts: 26
    Once and for all: Not including the dual chrome tipped exhuast and and exhaust cut outs in the lower rear bumper fascia, and the AMG badging, the S55 and the S500 with the optional AMG sports package are IDENTICAL on the outside. Even the tire size and stagger is the same, though for some reason you can't get the optional tire presssure monitor on the S55. You do get MB insignia wheel caps for the AMG wheels on the S55 this year, but the wheels themselves are otherwise the same, and the S500 sports package wheels say "AMG" on them just as the S55's do. By the way, there is no factory chrome wheel option. That's left to dealers who insist on tarting up the car.

There are major internal mechanical differences, of course: engine, brakes, oil cooler, etc. And the S55 comes more fully equipped, as well.
    thanks pfiorentino.
  • tomskytomsky Member Posts: 8
    I too had the illuminated front door sills put on my E430. The dealer could have done all four doors, but I was so shocked at the price for what is essentially something cosmetic that I limited it to the two front doors. That said, they do look rather cool. I had yellow (amber) lights for my desert silver/java.

Every few weeks, I wipe them with Tuff Stuff to keep them looking clean. The plastic film is unscratched.

Jack
    Tomsky-

My dealer told me that the parts department does not have any part number for the rear door sills on E430. That is why I had it on front 2 doors.

I do really like the illuminated door sills so as you mentioned in your message that you dealer said that it is available for rear 2 doors as well on E430. Could you please provide me the part numbers for rear illuminated door sills.

Thanks.
  • tomskytomsky Member Posts: 8
    Vs4, I don't have the part numbers for the rears since I didn't get them. Perhaps you could call some other dealers or MBUSA and find out those part numbers.

Jack
    I heard some murmuring that you can request MB to take out the electronic speed limiter, kind of on an unofficial basis but they'll/they've done it? Has anyone done this or have seen it done? It's a chip that can be plucked??
    I've only heard that for AMG vehicles, and only in Europe.

Drew
    Host
  • scargo160quickscargo160quick Member Posts: 63
    I've had tremendous success with the Meguiar's Quik Detailer product on my Blk/Charcoal S500. Per Paul Chiu's previous message I ordered the Meguiar's new paint collection ($39.95 from their website). I spent one Saturday morning polishing the car and it looked great although there was some residue I fought with for awhile longer. I quickly came to the conclusion that I had rather pay someone $150 every two months and maintain it myself in-between. The one good product I did learn about in the process was this quick detailer stuff. Every couple of days I spend 15 minutes wiping the car down with the spray and a clean 100% cotton towl (the Cannondale (sp?) brand of towel works well). After a week of doing this the car still looks freshly detailed and has every day since. I might not even wash it this week. This is on a black car mind you, so it is a very gentle formula. I don't see any scratches, as you might expect by wiping a dirty car down. I think you can buy it at most auto part stores for $6-$7 a bottle, which should last for 10 or so wipe-downs. Give it a try! Nothing more shameful than a dirty S-Class!
  • mlbarnesmlbarnes Member Posts: 48
    I agree about the Mequiar's Quik detailer. I have spend $1000 this year on wax, towels, and cleaning accessories. This detailer is the best that I have found. If someone has found something better, I would love to know.
    Besides the Quik Detailer I pointed out to scargo and others, I have found the Turtle Wax Express Shine Spray wax to be as shiny as the Quik Detailer, but is even easier to use. It takes even less effort to remove and buff vs the other.

Here's the link:

http://www.turtlewax.com/

I always use a feather brush to blow/brush off dust and dubris after rain. Then I use the famous california car brush from California Car Covers, http://www.calcarcover.com/

After the brushing, in a light and quick manner, I would use the spray wax. The whole act takes under 10 minutes every weekend.

Still drives my wife crazy, though!

• tx_behrtx_behr Member Posts: 4
    Greetings from North Texas (Dallas).

I'm in the market for my '1st' personal luxury convertable; as such - I've narrowed my marque to the SL series by MB.

I'm interested in one of the model years between 1990 and 2002, (as I understand they're basically all the same in style, with subtle changes in the content as the years progressed).

I have the opportunity to purchase a 97 SL500, Black/Black, 9000 actual miles (a former company lease car, that was literally used in a North Dallas Church); the Panorama roof, CD changer, built-in phone (analogue though), and chrome wheels. She's a beauty - looks showroom new.

My questions -

= are there any years of the SL to avoid due to systemic problems? (i.e. brake, engine, or electical issues)
    = Are there any owners of 97 SL 500's - how do you like your car? What's the gas economy like (as if it really matters,... hee hee)
    = With only 9K on the 4 year old car; I plan to drive 10-12K a year; what sort of annual service $$ could I expect to budget for? (the car is Starmark Certified, and I plan to get a 3 year extension on the warrenty)
    = In general - just looking to get some feedback on the 97 SL500 - or if there is indeed a more preferred model year -- what year is it; and why do you prefer that year?

= I haven't purchased the vehicle yet - gonna go test drive it again this afternoon; but the current "asking" price is $51K. Edmunds suggests the car should go for $46-49K, (even with a premium credit for the low mileage); would $49-50K seem reasonable for this vehicle?

Thanks in advance for your insight and invites -- looking forward to joingin the ranks of MB Convertable owners!

Phil
  • coolmatt44coolmatt44 Member Posts: 54
    Hello, I am taking a job in Los Angeles starting in July. I currently have a 2000 BMW 740i Sport, which I love and will be shipping out there, but I am selling my RX300 and my wives C320, because we won't need an SUV in California (as opposed to New York.)and I figured that If I sold two 40k cars I could get my wife a high end luxury car. She has narrowed it down to either the S-430/500, or the LS430. I was wondering how hard it is to get the S-430 (probably what we would go with if we got a Mercedes.) in SoCal, and if there are huge premiums? Thanks in advance.
  • nkolenkole Member Posts: 18
    It's no problem to get an S-class in the LA area. Most dealers have several in stock and will even discount. Try Penske Motors in West Covina or MB of South Bay. I've bought cars from both and had very good experiences.

Neil
  • pfiorentinopfiorentino Member Posts: 26
    It's a great car. All model years have proven reliable, perhaps with the exception of 1990, and even that's not too bad. My last one, a '95, had more than 80K miles on it when I let it go, and it had no rattles and ran like new literally. It still smelled a bit new even. I personally wouldn't spend the money on the warranty extension, especially if the car is Starmark Certified. But if it helps you sleep better...

$50K is probably high but still reasonable for this car, considering the under 10K mileage, and the Starmarking. People buy odomoters, as they say, and super clean low mileage cars are just worth more ultimately. I would completely forget what Edmunds and other consumer publications say. Check around and see what the going prices are at other M-B dealers in your area. The market is what it is.

You'll get about 17 to 18 MPG in mixed city and highway driving, maybe dropping down to 16 MPG if you get on it quite a bit. On long highway trips that'll go up to 22 MPG or so.

Annual service expenses (brakes, oil, minor tune ups, wiper -- there's only one! -- etc, but not including unexpected major repairs) are a bit hard to estimate. $1000 per year would usually more than cover it on average, I'd say, except in years wher you buy tires or have a major service done such as the 60K. Of course, a major repair such as replacing a catalytic converter or AC compressor done at a factory authorized dealership could blow the budget wide open. But don't be afraid to go to a trusted private garage for minor stuff, and even major repairs to save money. Benz's are a mechanic's delight and are usually very easy to work on unless you get a V12, where there just isn't enough room to maneouver in the engine bay because of the sheer bulk of the motor.

Good luck.

It sounds like a fabulous car. I wouldn't wait too long or someone else will grab it.
  • coolmatt44coolmatt44 Member Posts: 54
    I was just checking, because I know many people have been on waiting lists for several months, and I wanted to be able to get it as soon as we arrive in LA. Also thanks for the advice on where to go,I'll check both of them out.
    I recently saw a 1999 SL600 at my dealer for 85K, with 30K miles. Seem like too much for me. But it was in impeccable condition, only 1 minor chip. But it was in white. Not the color of choice for me in a SL class.

Otherwise, I think the SL class is the next best thing to an Aston Martin coupe.
  • pathdocpathdoc Member Posts: 126
    I have had a 91 500SL since new. I drove it as my primary car (although I had others for special interest). Three years ago I bought the car after leasing it for a total of 7 years and switched to a Jag. XK8 and now a XKR. The two reasons for switching were: 1)I needed a small back seat for my daughter so she could learn the joys of top down motoring at an early age and 2) My dissatisfaction with my local Mercedes dealer. I still drive the SL on occasion and it is a solid now as it was 10 years ago. The only recurring problem I had was an area of excessive wear on the soft top which required replacing the top twice in 7 years. It was located just above the rear window. I would check the soft top carefully since it is expensive. The first replacement was under complete warranty and the second partial. I think any year is ok. The earlier cars were rated at a higher H.P. but the later got better gas milage.

Don't miss the weekly MB Tuesdays chat at 6-7pm Pacific/9-10pm Eastern! All MB fans/enthusists/owners/potential owners are welcome to participate. Hope to see you there!

Click on the link below to enter the chat at the times above. Note that the link to the chat is always near the top of this page, just under the discussion topic title:

http://www.edmunds.com/chat/mercedeschat.html

Drew
    Host
  • 3pointstar3pointstar Member Posts: 45
    I know most of you have been posting about the new S-Class. It's a beautiful car, but I like the previous generation big-body S and I am looking for one. Came across a 94 S500 with +100K, but the condition is very good for mid $20Ks. I test drove it and it has that suspension shudder that some have mentioned in the past...no big deal. The question I have is it had its AC unit replaced at one point. I know this is a problem with the last generation S, but will this problem reoccur again on the replacement unit?
  • mrman_3k1mrman_3k1 Member Posts: 52
    Hello everybody, it has been a little while since I last posted, it has been really busy here. Anyway, the Designo Silver leather gets very dirty for anybodies information. I don't want to try cleaning it myself and do something to hurt it, but I would like the original color back since it is only several months old. If you know of any really good places in the Bay Area that can do a really good and clean job, please post it. Thanks in advance.
  • dre2011dre2011 Member Posts: 2
    Does anyone have any concerns about buying a 1995 S350D, the last year of the S-Class diesel, w/ 80k miles? Were there any common technical problems w/ '95 S-Classes? I've heard that S-Classes have a/c problems from 1992-96--is this true/false? Any comments at all would be appreciated. Also, comments about performance, power, acceleration, and reliability would be appreciated. I know that a diesel doesn't accelerate very well, but is it unbearably slow? your opinions are appreciated.
    Apart from the fact that all but the most modern diesels belch tons of stinky carcinogenic fumes every time you accelerate?

Fortunately, my Lexus constantly smells the outside air and switches automatically to recirculate when a diesel is in front of me!
  • merckxmerckx Member Posts: 565
    Diesels haven't had a smoke probleminyears-unless the fuel metering needs repair.Some 90s BNenz diesels had very serious problems-I think it stemmed from trying to meet more stringent particulate emissionn for the West coast.I don't remember the years now,unfortunately.But do find outp-it is important.(there are not many years to navoid).I would say acceleration is not opbjectionable.Wirth windows/roof open,it is just a little clattery,but nothing like the old,smokey days.Great milage,of course,but as a car increases in value,I would think milage would not be such an issue.And yes A/C can be a huge problem.If A/C is essential in your clime,get it professionally assed.
    Finaly.I do think they are wonderful-one would bring any motorist a lot of pleasure.But have you considered a 6 cylinder gas?
  • chapman7chapman7 Member Posts: 23
    mrman3k1
    I am curious as to why the interior of your car is getting so dirty in just a few months and am wondering what you are carrying in the car and who the passengers are and what they are wearing that is causing this problem. I haven't experienced this with other cars with very light interior colored leather seats.
    I have a Designo Silver car on order and maybe I should think twice if this is a major maintenance problem.
    Unless you're thinking of wearing light knakis all the time. Wearing jeans will darken the light leather. Dark leather jackets will darken the leather too. If you have kids or pets, think twice before ordering the designo silver edition.
    This won't work either, as the oils on your skin will darken the leather as well.
This discussion has been closed.